Uncategorized

Open Thread for Non-Personal Stuff: Nov 2015 Baby Needs Jelly Edition

Baby needs jelly bad.

An open thread for non-personal stuff. No MRAs, trolls, etc.

Kat
Kat

@mildly magnificent
You’re a granny! Congratulations on the beautiful new presence in your life.

Kat
Kat

@autosoma

. . . genial size and performance . . .

Ha, ha, your Spell Check is happy-go-lucky. More power to it.

You might consider contacting your London therapist and asking for a referral to someone in your new town.

I’m so glad that things are looking up for you. We’re all rooting for you, your wife, and your kids.

Kat
Kat

@Paradoxical Intention

Gamerbois everywhere are shitting their pants because they can’t handle the fact that FemShep is the “canon” Sheppard by Word of God (Game Devs), and are demanding that a male version be released, or else, it’s a “slap in the face” of everyone who played MaleShep, and attribute this to “hatred of men” and “feminazis”, and doing their usual thing of blowing everything the fuck out of proportion because their poor widdle ears can’t handle a FemShep trailer.

The trailer is really exciting!

I’m baffled by the gamers and MRAs who demand control over games and movies and any critique of these games or movies.

Games and movies are both art and commerce. They are not a public transit system or a hospital, which hold public hearings on their plans. Or a school board or a city council, where issues are voted on. I don’t have the right to a favorable review of the games or films I love, or an unfavorable review of those I loathe. Similarly, I don’t have a right to a happy ending or a female lead character. (Of course, I do have the right to safety. The game can’t destroy my computer. The movie theater needs to have a fire exit.) I can criticize or praise games or movies, but the game developers and film makers are not there to accede to my demands. I hope that they’d listen to my comments and take them to heart. But demanding a certain plot or characters is out of line. And sending threatening emails to a game critic is waaay out of line, not to mention illegal.

Will fashion designers capitulate to my demand to feature hot pink in their Spring 2016 shows?

Will HBO develop a soap opera based on my fascinating life and the lives of those in my orbit?

What about Paul McCartney: When, oh when, will he write a love song addressed to me?

These gamers and MRAs seem like little kids who are enraged that their mom bought the wrong kind of cookies.

Apparently, they don’t understand The World and How It Works for Grownups.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Speaking of gamerboys and shat pants, today’s Google doodle thing is Hedy Lamarr. I can taste the tears of rage already.

ej
ej

Looks like the War on Christmas is starting early this year!

Enemy #1: Starbucks!

Not kidding. People are angry that the holiday cups at Starbucks are just red. Apparently, red cups without snowflakes, reindeer, or pine trees makes Starbucks anti-Christian (even though none of the images ever used on Starbucks cups have ever been religious in any way). Yes, those images are associated with Christmas, but they are not inherently Christian. They’re also associated with winter. Is Starbucks anti-winter?

No. They’re not. Starbucks is very much pro-winter because people like hot drinks when it is cold outside.

Who’s surprised that this got posted on Breitbart?

@M:

Have you seen Doug Walker’s review of it? It’s hilarious and very well thought out.

AFAIK Walker isn’t even a feminist, but he still puts the boot in to the MRAs.

Orion

Jennifer Hale (AKA FemShep) is 100% the way to go for voiceover narration. Like, c’mon guys. I think Mark Meer got more flak than he deserved, and Paragon MaleShep has a certain dopey charm, but for narration there’s no contest.

When you say that FemShep is “canon” now, is that just because of this trailer, or something said elsewhere? Cause it actually would be kinda weird for them to specify Shepherd’s gender. KOTOR 2 didn’t specify a gender for Revan; Dragon Age doesn’t specify gender for Hawke and the Warden.

I accidentally typed “didn’t specify a gender for Riven”… anyone want to play some League of Legends? I rock support!

Tessa
Tessa

@Orion, I don’t think they specified that (but I’m not sure), but it’s interesting those guys spouting this much hyperbole about a trailer with her. The promotion from Mass Effect 1 and 2 was all male Shepard. The trailer for 2 even had the line “One very specific man might be all that stands between humanity and the greatest threat in our short existence.” The biggest outcry from feminists was pointing out of course more people are going to be playing male Shepard if all the promotion and default settings have it set to male. Nobody claimed that it was a “slap in the face” to all who played female Shepard. Just pointed out it was more of the same.

Orion

Katz — would anyone not see a young Professer X kissing Harry Potter? (those two would make a good pair actually!) Oh great, I just rule 34’ed that into existing.

Wouldn’t Harry be Professor X’s student? Seems problematic, not that that ever stopped Snapemione. Or would Harry be faculty?

dhag85

Snapemione!!! Ewwwwwwwwwww

skiriki

@Orion:

“Commander Shepard, the player-created hero of BioWare’s Mass Effect trilogy, began life as a woman, developer Jonathan Cooper revealed on Twitter today.”

Orion

Oh polygon, why u got 2 clickbait so hard?

Summary for those who click through: an animator says he made the female model for Shepherd before the male model, because he had a similar female model left over from another project. There are no statements from the writers.

Personally I always figured that the reason FemShep got to be so awesome is that she was written as a man. Patriarchy!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Idk how the student or faculty divide works really, is it just a HS where it’s mostly age? If so Daniel Radcliffe would be faculty since he’s in his 20s, anyways, Charles Xavier played by McAvoy was finishing his PhD in First Class, so he’d be late 20s. Idk how old Harry Potter was at the end of the series, but Radcliffe and McAvoy are about a decade apart in age.

I can’t believe we’re discussing the ethics of Professer X kissing Harry Potter. I love this place.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Exactly a decade apart apparently, 36 and 26.

Paradoxical Intention

ej | November 8, 2015 at 9:44 am
Looks like the War on Christmas is starting early this year!

I think my favorite response was about the “pagan spice lattes”.

ej
ej

@PI
I liked the guy who said to tell them your name was “Merry Christmas” so they would have to put it on the cup. (It will probably be misspelled though.)

I don’t drink coffee and I rarely go to Starbucks, so this doesn’t really affect me at all, but I find it amusing that people are so worked up about it.

ej
ej

Oh, dear. Apparently, the “Merry Christmas” thing wasn’t a joke. I really thought that was a joke. People are actually doing it. They’ve started a Twitter hashtag and are posting photos of themselves with their “Christmas” cups to get back at Starbucks.

Because, you know, the best way to show a company that you’re unhappy with something they have done is to give them money and buy their products (and to share it online).

I wonder how much overlap there is between the “war on Christmas” people and the people who complain about Christmas creep. I feel like it must be significant, meaning that there are people who demand you say “Merry Christmas” to them, but only after Thanksgiving.

contrapangloss

Katz, I’ll admit I complain about Christmas creep… but mostly because I get super tired of hearing “jingle bells” for 3 months straight. Seriously, the Christmas music started in October.

At least saying “after Thanksgiving” means I only have to listen to them for a month! A month is doable.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

This year was the first time I’ve complained about Christmas creep, after the local mall put up their decorations and opened their Christmas tree sales… On the first of fucking September.

I am not kidding.

EJ (The Other One)

My company started planning for Christmas in August. By now it almost feels as though it’s over.

eyesopen
eyesopen

Hi everyone,
Could anyone recommend to me any good books on femninism? – History of feminism, overview of current debates, undergraduate textbooks etc. And also good Fem webites/forums.Thanking you.

dhag85

It has been revealed that Sweden’s racist political party, the Sweden Democrats, have printed and distributed flyers in refugee camps on the island of Lesbos, warning Muslims not to come to Sweden. The flyers contain false information, saying that niqabs and halal products are illegal in the country. The lowest of the low, these people.

dhag85

@eyesopen

I’m gonna leave that to other commenters who have more knowledge than I do on these topics. I can highly recommend copulin, though.

dhag85

Also, I’m currently loving the fact that Chris Christie and Mike Huckaburger have been bumped down to the kids table debate (aka the debate for Republicans who actually have some understanding of how politics works, and therefore are very impopular with their voters). Graham and Pataki have either dropped out or they’ve just been bumped from the debate entirely because they didn’t register in the polls anymore. This is amazing.

They’re really gonna be stuck with Carson or Trump in the end, aren’t they? At this point I’m almost thinking Carson could take it.

Orion

Fun fact about the Isle of Lesbos: Some people there are really upset about what ‘Lesbian” means now.

As for Republicans, they could still get Cruz or Rubio.

And yeah, Graham and Pataki didn’t quit, they just weren’t allowed in the kids’ debate.

dhag85

I’ve been saying for a while now I think Rubio will end up being the nominee, but now I’m not sure. I think Carson’s combination of coming across as a very smart guy to Republicans while being completely detached from reality might actually take him all the way there. I think his biggest obstacle now is if they chicken out at the last minute and go with a non-minority candidate instead.

Orion

Rubio has the Sword of Chang though. I’ve been betting on him since I found out.

Truth be told, I also complain about Christmas creep sometimes. But while annoying, it’s also kind of pointless to bring up, since it’s not like big box stores are going to be all “oh, customers don’t like it when we decorate earlier, so we’ll stop.”

Rubio has the Sword of Chang

This sounds like an anecdote that I want to hear.

Orion

EJ,

It’s a weird one. After the Chinese general Chiang Kai-Shek was exiled to Taiwan by the communists, some Republicans wanted to try funding him to raise an army and retake the mainland. George H.W. Bush thought this was such a stupid idea that he apparently turned it into a running joke. Evidently, while playing tennis, he used to threaten to “unleash Chiang” before he served. (The joke was that his serve was about as unthreatening as an American-funded invasion of China)

Jeb apparently copied his dad without understanding what his dad was talking about, and has for a long time said “I’m going to unleash Chang” before he dived in to a challenging task. When Rubio became speaker of the house in Florida, Jeb gave him a gift at his swearing-in ceremony: a glittery gold costume-party sword and the following speech:

“‘Chang is a mystical warrior. Chang is somebody who believes in conservative principles, believes in entrepreneurial capitalism, believes in moral values that underpin a free society.
”I rely on Chang with great regularity in my public life. He has been by my side and sometimes I let him down. But Chang, this mystical warrior, has never let me down.

I’m going to bestow to you the sword of a great conservative warrior.”

dhag85

Didn’t know about the Chiang Kai-Shek story. I thought Jeb was just doing a Sylvia Browne bit or something. Holy shit that guy is weird.

Orion

Actually only a couple sources are reporting the Chiang Kai-Shek angle, while others are saying that H.W. was probably talking about the Chang dynasty.

EJ (The Other One)

While that is hilarious, I have to admit that I’m a little let down. I mean, that just sounds like another case of “rich people behaving like idiots”, which is so common as to scarcely warrant comment. My prime minister fucked a pig for the same reason.

I was hoping that Rubio was a secret WoW player or something, and this was a magic item his character had.

Orion

I’m failing to track it down now, but in the … 2010 elections maybe? … there was a race for state legislature where the Republican campaign pulled quotes from the Democratic candidate’s World of Warcraft account to describe their opponent as a woman who “likes stabbing people” and thinks “poison is awesome.”

EJ (The Other One)

Both of those quotes make me want to vote for her. At last, a candidate who says what we’re all thinking!

Orion

In fairness to her critics, she also said she wanted to drown Grover Norquist in a bathtub.

Bina
Bina

Okay, that Fury Road review just blows everything out of the water. That neckbeard with the beanie who whines about Zoe Quinn should watch this before he shoots off his mouth again about Hollywood lacking originality. The “guy ranting to a tiny audience via webcam” genre of criticism is OLD, man.

Falconer

comment image

IT BEGINS

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*sulks because my shitty duct-taped Frankensteiner of a laptop can’t run it* =P

Have fun on my behalf, you hear?

dhag85

Right now I’m just happy I’ve never played Fallout. 🙂 I’m almost viewing this as a vacation from life. Everybody will be playing Fallout 4 for a few months, and I can catch up on other stuff.

Falconer

Oh, I probably won’t get it until Christmas. In the meantime, I’ll watch Many A True Nerd play it on YouTube.

But most of my Steam friends are also my Mammoth friends so you know who you are.

mockingbird
mockingbird

The Bad News: We don’t yet have Falloit 4.

The Good News: We don’t yet have it because I pre-ordered the Pip-Boy Edition back in June für meinen Mann (anniversary present): http://i.imgur.com/RoRS76v.jpg
It will (hopefully) be delivered tomorrow.

But mockingbird – won’t you play the hell out of your husband’s present?
Why yes, yes I will.
But it’s also his favorite series.
It was a good present, dammit!

EJ (The Other One)

I’m not allowing myself to play it until after Christmas.

Let me know how it goes, okay? (By which I mean, rant to me constantly.)

@mockingbird:

You are the cutest couple ever. Are you going to take turns sitting there and watching one another play?

mockingbird
mockingbird

*takes a stuttering breath out*

Ohmygawd, that’s the first time I really looked at the shipping notification.

It shows the XB1 version.

I just checked my actual order page – it does read PS4.

Thank goodness.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@EJ – I’m hoping to cajole him into getting really into it first.
He’s shied off of games lately. I think it’s mostly been because of pressure he’s been putting on himself (improving his skillset, the never ending to do list that comes with an older house, etc), but he needs some time to blow off some steam by making super mutants’ heads explode, you know?

After he’s well into his game, I’ll jump in.

Or I’ll start it tomorrow whIle our toddler naps.

One of the two.

@EJ @Falconer re: Christmas: That’s probably the more prudent course of action.

Sorry for the delay in responding.
My toddler had finished disassembling and licking her grilled cheese sandwich, so it was time to usher her to the potty.

mockingbird
mockingbird

But, yes, my ideal scenario would involve us taking turns, especially since we tend to make really different decisions in open world games like this.

Falconer

Man, I need to play more games with Beloved. We like the Tales games, though we love only a couple (Symphonia and Abyss).

Unfortunately, my boy has pretty much given up naps, and we can’t count on them being asleep before 10 or so, which leaves little time to play.

I was planning on getting the PC version of FO, seeing as I’ve got a bigger system than ever and Beloved doesn’t play FO.