a voice for men lying liars MRA red pill

Is “Red Pill” director Cassie Jaye’s Cannes award a fake? Signs point to “yes.”

Seems legit
Seems legit

If you look at Cassie Jaye’s official bios, you might be forgiven for thinking that the director of the upcoming Red Pill documentary had won an impressive “best documentary” prize at Cannes for her first feature-length film.

On her LinkedIn page, Jaye writes that “Daddy I Do,” her film on the abstinence-only movement, “won the Best Documentary Award at the 2010 Cannes Independent Film Festival.” She makes similar statements on YouTube and on her official site, CassieJaye.com.

Press coverage of the young filmmaker has made much of her Cannes award. In a feature on Jaye, the San Rafael Patch reported breathlessly that “Daddy I Do soon garnered immense acclaim, culminating with the Best Documentary Award at the Cannes International Film Festival.” Feminist website Bust declared that the film “has already won Best Documentary awards in several festivals, including the Cannes Film Festival.” A writer at Rumpus.net started off her interview with Jaye by congratulating her for winning “Best Documentary at Cannes.”

But if you go to the official site of the Cannes Film Festival, and look at its list of winners for 2010, you will find no mention of Daddy I Do.

Hell, you won’t find a Best Documentary winner for that year at all, because Cannes didn’t actually have a Best Documentary award.

So what’s going on? Is Jaye lying? Well, not technically.

She did win an award with the word “Cannes” in it. But it didn’t come from the official Cannes festival.

It came instead from a knockoff event, the Cannes INDEPENDENT Film Festival, that many in the film business consider an outright scam, using the Cannes name in order to profit from entry fees, much as the makers of the Spader-Man action figures above hoped to make money from confused or perhaps overly thrifty fans of the real Spiderman.

A site called CannesGuide warns filmmakers not to submit films to the faux festival, declaring that

the Cannes Independent Film Festival (CIFF) is, in our opinion, a scam. It is not connected to the Festival de Cannes, Marche du Film, or any other official festival organisation. It is a coat-tails event, run from the UK, which likely seeks to capitalise on the prestige associated with the city’s name and famous festival.

Although CIFF is a real event, we have questioned its legitimacy in the past and continue to believe that there is little or no value to filmmakers in submitting a film.

Since that was written, the “festival” seems to have vanished entirely from the world. Take a look at what its official web site looks like now. (Seriously, take a look.)

Jaye’s supporters will presumably point out that she’s never technically lied about her award or claimed that it came from the official Cannes festival. Certainly it’s not her fault that reporters make mistakes!

Except that it kind of is. Here’s a screenshot from the trailer for Daddy I Do.

Screenshot of the Daddy, I Do trailer
Screenshot of the Daddy, I Do trailer

Most people seeing this flash by on the screen, I suspect, will remember the giant CANNES and won’t even notice the word “independent” underneath it. Or, like the reporter for the San Rafael Patch, they’ll change the “independent” to “international” in their minds.

At the very least’s it’s a graphic seemingly designed to capitalize on the confusion between the Cannes Independent Film Festival and the real Festival de Cannes.

No, Jaye isn’t doing anything illegal here. But trumpeting an award from a phony festival as if it were a real award is not only dishonest; it’s kind of pathetic.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Has Cassie herself said that Mike Cernovich is now an associate producer? I don’t see any mention of it on the documentary’s website or the Kickstarter page.

dhag85

@Auntie Alias

Hmm, I guess I just took others commenters’ word for it. In the latest update on her Kickstarter she said this:

We have now far surpassed our Stretch Goal of $114,000, largely thanks to two new Associate Producers who generously came on board for $10,000 each

But here’s the thing.. the reward for pledging $10 000 is an Associate Producer credit. See below:

Pledge $10,000

5 backers All gone!

I Believe This Film Will Make a Difference!

All of the above rewards +
An Associate Producer credit! You will have your name in the opening and closing credits of the film, you will get complimentary tickets to all screening events, and you will share in any awards or accolades we may receive for the film. You will officially be a part of The Red Pill team! (You also may decline the title of Associate Producer or gift the title to someone else if you’d prefer to be anonymous)

So I suppose she didn’t pick Juicebro specifically for a Associate Producer credits.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

@dhag85

Ah, thank you. That looks bad for her and the production and would have if feminists were made associate producers in the same way.

As for the people listed in the credits that she interviewed for this, the vast majority of them appear to be misogynists. “Big Red” is the only feminist name I recognize.

dhag85

@Auntie Alias

I think the following are feminists, but I’m not sure:

Michael Kimmel
Michael Messner
Katherine Spillar
Darrah De Jour
Barbara Smith

I might be missing one or two, but not more. I also didn’t google all these names, but I’ve trusted the credits page when it describes someone as “feminist” they are actually a feminist.

I recognize 22(!) names associated with A Voice for Men and other MRA groups.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Doh! I forgot about Michael Kimmel from the preview. None of the other names are familiar so thank you for that.

weirwoodtreehugger

So, presumably Associate Producer is a vanity credit and they won’t be doing any actual work on the film. Is Cernovich claiming he’s an executive producer or did whichever commenter who brought it up just accidentally use the wrong word?

dhag85

@wwth

I haven’t seen anybody use the term executive producer.

Yup, definitely a vanity credit. I suppose that’s not nearly as damning as if he’d actually had anything to do with the making of the film. On the other hand, it’s clear from the Kickstarter page that 5 people have donated $10 000 each, which in total makes up more than 1/2 of the original funding goal, and more than 1/3 of the current total mount pledged. One of those people is Juicebro. I’m gonna guess most of the others are manospherians as well, but I don’t know.

dhag85

Barbara Smith is a black/lesbian/feminist activist with a solid background as far as I can tell.
Michael Messner is a professor of sociology and gender studies who seems to be sympathetic to feminism.
Darrah De Jour seems to be mostly a fashion blogger who also writes about gender issues.
Katherine Spillar is the executive editor of Ms. Magazine and executive vice president of the Feminist Majority Foundation. Both seem legit.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

Ah, fired shots too early. A vanity credit is hardly a sign of any heavier involvement. I take my quotation marks and place them in my back pocket in case they are needed in the future.

Bina

Juicebro seems to be having an obsession with Seth Rogen right now. Looks like some time last month he wrote a tweet randomly saying Seth Rogen is having marriage problems. Rogen’s wife tweeted him back and said “He is?!?! That’s so sad! I hear his wife is awesome.” – obviously rolling her eyes at him. Then either Cerno faked a tweet, or she has deleted it. Juicebro has uploaded an image of a twitter thread where he tweets “Your wife won’t fuck you hahhahahahhahha” to Seth Rogen. Rogen’s wife then allegedly tweeted back: “Well, she definitely would fuck you!”

Now, this may or may not have happened. Can’t find this tweet anywhere, but if it was indeed a real tweet it’s pretty clear she was being sarcastic.

Cerno’s response? More than two weeks later he wrote a blog post with the title “Why Does Seth Rogen’s Wife Want to Have Sex with Me?”. In it, he repeatedly attacks Rogen for being “weak”, “lazy”, “fat”, and for being a “self-loathing” white person (hello dog whistle).

At the end it turns into a promotion post for Cerno’s book.

And don’t forget, he lives DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH. That means all the other men’s wives must be dying to fuck him! So buy that book and the juice (assuming he’s still selling it) and you, too, will have testosterone out the wazoo and be picking off all the poor desperate women in no time flat!

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

And don’t forget, he lives DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH.

Holy crap. That’s the same guy who trolled here??

painteyelash
painteyelash

Totally off-topic, but have any of you seen the new video about Thunderd00f/Laughing Witch from Bewildered Ape? I don’t know if this link works, I am using my phone.

painteyelash
painteyelash

It did! 🙂

Bina

Holy crap. That’s the same guy who trolled here??

I’m about 90 percent certain it’s him. Cernovich lives in Venice (which is oceanside), is (allegedly) a lawyer, and is a known PUA. The troll is “Michael” (Cernovich’s first name), lives DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH (in Venice???) and also a lawyer…allegedly. Things that make you go hmmm…

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Admittedly if Jaye were playing the long con and this turned out to be an anti-MRA (read: credible) film, I’d say that was $10,000 well-accepted. I wonder how much Cernovitch would pay to have his name scrubbed from it.

Paradoxical Intention

Leda Atomica | November 1, 2015 at 11:43 am
Ugh. I read his Twitter too doing my research and was wondering if Rogen had pissed in his morning coffee.
Seems totally like *the* person to associate with your very serious and neutral “documentary”.

That’s right, I put quotes around it!

What gets me about that whole exchange is that Juicebro (forever calling him that now, thanks dhag!) keeps responding directly to Seth, even though it’s his wife responding directly to his tweets.

Says a lot about the man, if I’m honest.

dhag85

Disclaimer! I didn’t actually come up with the name Juicebro. I believe some other WHTM commenter has used it before, and it stuck in my head.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

@Paradoxical Intention

Why would any sensible bro address a woman? Everyone knows a wife is just an extension of her man.

Also, how does anyone come off as such a hurt little creature while supposedly on the offend? Reminds me of my friend’s kitten who would arch her back and scream whenever she felt cornered (by a feather toy).

dhag85

Looking at her old tweets from 2010 that someone dug up. It does seem (at least to me) like at the time she believed this was the actual Cannes Film Festival. But by now she obviously knows the truth.

Bina

OT, but check out this misandry: Bite Beauty is bringing out a lipstick to support the fight against prostate cancer. Its name: Mauvember!

Luzbelitx

Oh, what a cute kitty!

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

@David

It sounds like a done deal to me, too, based on what you said.

Feel free to ignore this question if you want to but have you had any contact with Cassie since your first post went up?

@Bina

Oooo, I love that lipstick shade.

ernesto
ernesto

That award doesn’t even appear on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1323593/awards

TG
TG

If I remember correctly, “Juicebro” originated on GamerGhazi as part of an effort to stop discussing specific individuals by their real names even if they used their real names on Twitter or their own blogs. I don’t recall the context — something about a visiting KIA regular and Total Biscuit being upset about being named… long ago, lots of spilled feelz under the bridge.

Anyway, Cernovich had just brought out a new self-published book on his juicing advice and was frantically humping sales on Twitter and his blogs, so somebody labeled him “Juicebro,” which he then tweeted and blogged about as well. He’s very sensitive. About himself, I mean.

At the time, he was playing down his advocacy and personal use of steroids — injecting testosterone — so I don’t think the nickname was meant as an allusion to “sperm juice,” though his confession on his blog that the injections had shrunk his balls “only” 25% will be good for the occasional side snark forever.

Fifty years from now, little kids will go up to Grandpa Gamer and ask, “Grandpa, who’s Shrunken Nads and why do people laugh whenever they hear that and then say, ‘Always take your health advice from a lawyer before he gets disbarred’?”

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

When we use their names after they tell us what they are or click their Twitters after they link to them here: How dare those communazi SJWs invade our privacy! WAAAH!

When they doxx everything from our home address to our favourite t-shirt: Meh. All’s fair in ethics and games journalism.

Bina

I always assumed that “Juicebro” was an allusion to steroid abuse, since “juicing” is slang for that, if I recall correctly. But yeah, he WAS hawking some kind of quack juice-diet stuff as well. So for him, it’s definitely a double entendre.

(Didn’t help his LIQUID FUCKING GOLD any, though!)

Kat
Kat

@luzbelitx
Aww! That’s a pretty kitty.

Kat
Kat

This whole Cassie Jaye & “The Red Pill” story has more twists & turns than a mystery novel.

She seems determined to go ahead with this project. I have to admit that I’m very curious about this film. Not enough to actually pay to see it, but I’ll very interested in the remarks of those who do view it.

Even if Cassie Jaye makes a fantasy film about MRA heroes instead of a documentary about–well, the real people involved in the MRM, it will do the MRAs no good. Once potential new MRAs find out (so, so easily) that the MRM is a bunch of hate groups, most of them will back way off. Most people of any gender don’t want to make their lives all about hate and standing in the way of those who want their rights.

Luckily for humanity, most of us root for the underdog.

Felix Ray

>>Frankly, the fact that she’s made Juicebro Cernovich an associate producer is more damning than anything else she’s done so far

If that’s true, yep. Cernovich is a piece of work for sure.

I appreciate the more complete article. II still don’t think the award is an issue. That’s just my opinion, and if no one chooses to attack me or call me a troll, I’m not going to need to repeat my opinion. Even the article that was linked to said that the festival is “an actual event”. If I was young filmmaker scrambling for attention and funding, I ‘m pretty sure that if i had a BEST DOCUMENTARY award from any festival, publication, or church bake sale, I would mention it in my advertising. That why they call it advertising.

I know that Paul Elam is supposed to be happy about this, but… look, I’m kind of new to this part of the Manosphere, isn’t Paul Elam kind of stupid? And isn’t he sort of known for gloating, no matter what’s actually happening?

Remember how the Sarkeesian effect was going to be a world class history making documentary? All I saw in the preview for The Red Pill was a bunch of guys whining about stuff that’s not actually on the screen. I can imagine Paul Elam thinking two hours of men whining is really gripping, cutting-edge cinema.

Wanna see my Halloween Video? It’s sort of crazy.

dhag85

Dude. You’re not making this easy.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Hey Felix, need me to fetch you a damp sponge on a stick while you’re busy nailing yourself to that cross?

Wetherby
Wetherby

You’re totally missing the point. The issue being discussed here isn’t whether or not the award is legitimate or whether the festival actually exists, it’s whether it’s intentionally misleading to describe it as “Best Documentary at Cannes”, which implies a far, far more significant award than it actually was.

There’s an equivalent situation in the UK, where there are two universities in Oxford. One is one of the great world-class universities, and the other decidedly isn’t. And yet graduates from Oxford Brookes University can legitimately say “I went to university in Oxford”, and I’m sure plenty do – but they’d be just as misleading if they didn’t correct any assumptions that they meant Oxford University.

Sunny
Sunny

Hi David, I sent an email to the mods but wanted to add in here to. I came across this and thought it was pretty cool, it’s good to have some good news every now and then and I’m all for anything that decreases the stigma around mental health treatment.

Bina

Sure, the “other” Cannes festival is an actual event. But is it a LEGIT event? And if not (and all the signs seem to be pointing in the direction of “not”, here) then why use it on one’s advertisements? Does anyone really want to advertise the fact that they got taken in by a pay-to-play scam? And doesn’t that say a lot (none of it flattering) about their professionalism?

You can repeat your opinion till you’re blue in the face, but that still doesn’t make you right.

ColeYote
ColeYote

So it’s about as honest as me calling myself an Academy Award winner. Specifically, honour roll from my high school which has the word “Academy” in its name.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m an Olympic medalist in diving!

Okay, it was the Junior Olympics and I took bronze in a field of four. But hey, Olympic medalist sure has a nice ring.

Meredith
Meredith

I’m still waiting to see how this turns out. She claims that there will be “two sides”. So I’ve still got my fingers crossed that she will point out of the unfortunate realities around MRAs.

Surely she just has to talk to any feminist for them to tell her that MRAs arguments are against straw-feminism.

Its frustrating that feminists are constantly told ‘you don’t care about men’. When we talk about men’s problems we get told “your trying to make men’s problems all about feminism, how dare you”.
They are an entire movement propelled by assumptions they base on whats *not* said.
If I were to say “I think rape is a problem for women”, they would tell you I said: “Men can’t be raped, all men are rapists, and all women are suffering from rape”

We need a movement that actually cares about making mens lives better. Not about upholding restrictive gender norms. We can’t go backwards, only adjust how we go forward.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I’m a WORLD CHAMPION.

… Pokemon Master back in the early ’00s. And it was technically national, we just called it “World” since the actual World Championship didn’t exist yet. But still. WORLD CHAMPION.

Moggie
Moggie

I have a Golden Globe!

Well, when the lighting is right.

dhag85

I have the world record in tic tac toe.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I have two Grammys…*

*and two Grandpas as well

Paradoxical Intention

I was on the Dean’s List at my graphic design college.*

*For one semester.

kiki
kiki

I used to date Minnie Driver.

Well, she drove a Mini. So she was a Mini driver.

Ace
Ace

I’ve been the Top Chef.

Where I work, anyway.

Orion

took bronze in a field of four

A field of four?!

mockingbird
mockingbird

I spent some time at Oxford*.

* Walking around, mostly – visited some neat used book shops.

Random ravings (@rottenfruitx1)

Since when did spiderman use battle axes or is that just something “spader man” uses