a voice for men lying liars MRA red pill

Is “Red Pill” director Cassie Jaye’s Cannes award a fake? Signs point to “yes.”

Seems legit
Seems legit

If you look at Cassie Jaye’s official bios, you might be forgiven for thinking that the director of the upcoming Red Pill documentary had won an impressive “best documentary” prize at Cannes for her first feature-length film.

On her LinkedIn page, Jaye writes that “Daddy I Do,” her film on the abstinence-only movement, “won the Best Documentary Award at the 2010 Cannes Independent Film Festival.” She makes similar statements on YouTube and on her official site, CassieJaye.com.

Press coverage of the young filmmaker has made much of her Cannes award. In a feature on Jaye, the San Rafael Patch reported breathlessly that “Daddy I Do soon garnered immense acclaim, culminating with the Best Documentary Award at the Cannes International Film Festival.” Feminist website Bust declared that the film “has already won Best Documentary awards in several festivals, including the Cannes Film Festival.” A writer at Rumpus.net started off her interview with Jaye by congratulating her for winning “Best Documentary at Cannes.”

But if you go to the official site of the Cannes Film Festival, and look at its list of winners for 2010, you will find no mention of Daddy I Do.

Hell, you won’t find a Best Documentary winner for that year at all, because Cannes didn’t actually have a Best Documentary award.

So what’s going on? Is Jaye lying? Well, not technically.

She did win an award with the word “Cannes” in it. But it didn’t come from the official Cannes festival.

It came instead from a knockoff event, the Cannes INDEPENDENT Film Festival, that many in the film business consider an outright scam, using the Cannes name in order to profit from entry fees, much as the makers of the Spader-Man action figures above hoped to make money from confused or perhaps overly thrifty fans of the real Spiderman.

A site called CannesGuide warns filmmakers not to submit films to the faux festival, declaring that

the Cannes Independent Film Festival (CIFF) is, in our opinion, a scam. It is not connected to the Festival de Cannes, Marche du Film, or any other official festival organisation. It is a coat-tails event, run from the UK, which likely seeks to capitalise on the prestige associated with the city’s name and famous festival.

Although CIFF is a real event, we have questioned its legitimacy in the past and continue to believe that there is little or no value to filmmakers in submitting a film.

Since that was written, the “festival” seems to have vanished entirely from the world. Take a look at what its official web site looks like now. (Seriously, take a look.)

Jaye’s supporters will presumably point out that she’s never technically lied about her award or claimed that it came from the official Cannes festival. Certainly it’s not her fault that reporters make mistakes!

Except that it kind of is. Here’s a screenshot from the trailer for Daddy I Do.

Screenshot of the Daddy, I Do trailer
Screenshot of the Daddy, I Do trailer

Most people seeing this flash by on the screen, I suspect, will remember the giant CANNES and won’t even notice the word “independent” underneath it. Or, like the reporter for the San Rafael Patch, they’ll change the “independent” to “international” in their minds.

At the very least’s it’s a graphic seemingly designed to capitalize on the confusion between the Cannes Independent Film Festival and the real Festival de Cannes.

No, Jaye isn’t doing anything illegal here. But trumpeting an award from a phony festival as if it were a real award is not only dishonest; it’s kind of pathetic.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

Since finding out Cassie Jaye has been lining her pockets with MRM money we’ve all had to take a waiting position regarding her film. Some suggested she has been led on by Elam & Co. and some even suggested she’s pulling a long con on them. We all fear both these situations, but there is no way to be sure if we’re being had or she is. Or they are. Any clues about the future at this point can only be found from her past. Or as Dr. Phil says: “The best predictor of future behaviour is relative past behaviour”.
I know, I can’t believe I quoted Dr. Phil either, but I broke my foot and was immobile for 5 weeks and the remote control was on the table. Might as well have been in China.

So, this gives you other relevance to this post besides “Cassie I’m coming to get you”.

weirwoodtreehugger

And there it is. I know how some people here take it when somebody interrupts the circle jerk. Somebody’s probably combing over my twitter and youtube accounts right now. I’d like to stay for the ugly spectacle but… no, that’s a lie. I prefer to skip the ugly spectacle.

No. You didn’t interrupt a circle jerk. You were an ass before, people haven’t forgotten it and so you’re not getting the benefit of the doubt. It’s nobody else’s fault but yours if you pissed people off.

BTW, I also remember that back in the Lou Reed thread you felt the need to share that you didn’t think it was a big deal that he had an abusive past, yet you think it’s immoral for David to post mild criticism of someone? Tell me why I should think you are arguing in good faith?

throwaway
throwaway

Why would David need to delay the publishing of the facts based on the outcome and interpretation of the film? Her touting the award is a bad thing regardless of the outcome. Calling it out now and having the film turn out to be skewed towards reality (not on MRA side) prevents the later call-outs of her qualifications. Calling it out now also deflates the gas-bags in the man-o-sphere who think they’ve really got a Cannes award winner on their hands. It’s a win-fucking-win.

So..

– Film maker decides to make a documentary about the MRM.
– MRM funds the film to make it happen.
– MRM lies about the credentials of the film maker, to make her look like more successful than she really is.
– Futrelle writes blog post accurately pointing out that one of her awards is a scam award.

MRM reaction: Y Mammoth so unfair? 🙁

NothingClever
NothingClever

So…would this article still be a thing if Cassie Jaye hadn’t pissed off David? Would he still be critical of her is she were being even and fair to the issue?

11twiggins

@NothingClever
This blog is about charting the actions of members of the manosphere, first and foremost. Since she has been embraced by members of the manosphere, that makes her credentials a credible topic for this blog. There are plenty of phonies out there who aren’t in/associated with the manosphere, and obviously David doesn’t have the time to go through all of them. Basically this is what his blog is for.

dhag85

Independent film maker exaggerating her credentials – not much of a story.

Film maker funded by AVfM to make a pro-Elam documentary having her credentials exaggerated by the subjects of her film – more of a story.

reallybigname
reallybigname

If you did any research whatsoever, you’d realize that you can access old versions of that page, and that the page CLEARLY stated it’s separateness from the famous Cannes Film Festival. The reason it has “Cannes” in the name is because IT IS IN CANNES, FRANCE. This is the lamest post ever. She never misrepresented herself, and they never misrepresented themselves. The only person doing any misrepresenting is you.

Dumpster Jedi
Dumpster Jedi

Spader-Man!
Spader-Man!
Moderately active Spader-Man!
Can do just what a spider do
Eat bugs, turn them into poo!

Is he strong?
Listen bud, he’s got a moderately active bod!
Watches his fats and donates blood!
Flies a jet, just like that!
Also ate the neighbor’s cat!
Take a look up overhead
Here comes the Spader-Man!

kupo
kupo

It only takes away from her credibility for her to mention this award, much in the way it would take away from my credibility if I were to say I’m published by the National Library of Poetry.

kupo
kupo

(And yes, I’m unfortunately “published” by them, assuming they actually print anything you don’t pay for–I figured it out before I ever bought anything.)

Jafafa Hots (@JafafaHots)

Is it even a real award of any kind?
You pay a fee, they disappear or whatever but first they “award” you something?

That doesn’t sound like an “award” to me, that sounds like vanity publishing.
Incidentally, my new book, “A Bride Not Quite Far Enough” has been selected by (a) Random (abandoned) House.

Or to put it in terms the GaMRAgaters will recognize, is this award “pay-to-win?”

Amelia Serafine
Amelia Serafine

This also crucially alters the narrative of a feminist conspiracy! Sure, a Cannes winning director who couldn’t find funding might be suspicious- but a relatively unknown director? She didn’t get grants because grants are hard to get and are incredibly competitve, she couldn’t find investors because documentaries are a bad investment. As far as I can tell, before the MRA’s jumped on board the kickstarter no feminists anywhere were talking about this movie. Nobody knew about it, and nobody cared.

sn0rkmaiden

I got to say I’m with Felix on this one. What is the purpose of this article? Isn’t this site about tracking misogyny? Just because Cassie Jaye’s new film is about misogynists doesn’t automatically make her one, who cares if she fudged a bit on her CV?

I think everyone should reserve judgement on this woman until The Red Pill comes out.

dhag85

I am still not clear on how a future documentary will change past actions.

Paradoxical Intention

Felix Ray | October 31, 2015 at 2:36 pm
I had some prob;lems with my browser, so I’m a little behind here

>> She wasn’t “attacked”, and this has nothing to do with “her opinion”. Her award is being called a scam award, because it is. What’s your problem?

If I type it again in all-caps, will that be clearer? Look, I don’t think this is right, and I don’t think it’s smart, and by pretending that you don’t know what’s happening, you’re not reassuring me.

I’m not going to respond to information that wasn’t in the article. It looks to me like David and I should have BOTH done some more research.

We literally explained this to you, multiple times. We’re not “pretending we don’t know what’s happening”, we’re literally telling you you’re wrong. We’re not going to swallow this whole “I’m right, you’re all meanie-meanie pants who refuse to see how right I am!” bullshit. You’ve attempted to pull this before, and it’s still not acceptable.

We aren’t here to “reassure” you either.

I’m going to second dhag on this one: Fuck off, Felipe.

Leda Atomica | October 31, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Ok whoever is doxing Felix, will you stop it at once!! Oh wait, nobody’s doing that.

Methinks someone has indeed been jerking in certain circles for too long if a blog post reads as an attack and people who disagree with you are most likely going to doxx you.

There is a world outside of the angry men’s interwebz. Thank God.

I think he’s referring to last time he got told off, Scented Fucking Hard Chairs went to check his twitter account to make sure he was here in good faith, as linked accounts are usually a good indicator of who’s who, and found that he was one of those male feminist types who like to still do sexist things but still insist they’re feminist somehow, even when called out by other feminists. In fact, SFHC called him out for something that seemed creepy (he was making odd comments on a girl’s picture that came off as creepy), and he turned around and tried to insist that the word “creepy” held no meaning because he didn’t know what it meant, apparently.

So now he thinks we’ve doxxed him for looking at shit he himself linked us to.

And now he’s salty because we’re not putting up with concern trolling.

Paradoxical Intention

dhag85 | October 31, 2015 at 5:14 pm
I am still not clear on how a future documentary will change past actions.

I’m not either.

She’s omitting that her Cannes award isn’t even actually associated with the Cannes Film Festival, and she’s not correcting other people who are either, and that includes the MRM.

Pointing out that her award isn’t legit isn’t a bad thing. It’s stating facts, and the fact that people are trying to be like “Say this stuff after the Red Pill doc comes out!” makes no sense, because it’ll still be true after the doc comes out.

So will the fact that she’s broken her own moral rules and accepted money from the MRM to fund this movie, because “fuck feminists”.

bodycrimes

This post makes me uneasy as well. Lots of creative people clutch at any sign at all that their work is being valued. She won’t be the first, or the last, to put her work in for a second or third rate award and be proud of it. Trying to make a career of something like documentary film making is hard frickin’ graft. I wouldn’t blame her at all for festooning her grant applications with everything from this ‘award’ to her second grade good behaviour report cards.

Second, she’s being love bombed by the MRAs at the moment. They’re showering her with love, affection and loadsa money. If she has any lingering doubts about them, they’re busy soothing them with cold hard cash. This isn’t a moment for her home team (she does, after all, describe herself as a feminist) to publicly pound her for something she might actually be proud of, scam or not.

I agree with Snorkmaiden. Let’s wait and see until the documentary comes out. I went and looked at her kickstarter explanation, and she’s playing her cards close to her chest. Her words are clearly deliberately ambiguous.

Virtually Out of Touch
Virtually Out of Touch

BOO!!!!

Happy Halloween Everyone!

Zaelkrie

So much butthurt in one article.

TIL

If I say I won “an Oscar”, and other people repeat I won an Oscar, and now everybody thinks I won an Oscar, but on closer inspection it turns out it’s really an “Independent Oscar Award” that my dad made for me, I am not being dishonest. And also, if I make a good documentary in the future the fake Oscar will become a real Oscar. Ta-dah.

dhag85

This is not a “second or third rate award”. It’s an actual scam.

Miss Andry

Spader Mancomment image?w=400&h=236

Paradoxical Intention

bodycrimes | October 31, 2015 at 5:26 pm

But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s dishonest of her to continue to let the MRM and other people assume that she’s got an award from the legit Cannes festival, and not correcting them at all (at least that I’ve seen).

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you: creative work is hard work and no one appreciates it as much as they should beyond people who work in that field and the occasional connoisseur. As a creative person myself, I can get behind that and sympathize the hell out of that. Many a wise person has said: Art is hard.

However, I don’t think it’s okay to dismiss dishonest behavior with “Well, it’s just hard in her field and she’s doing what she can to get by”.

I’m not saying she’s a terrible, awful person and everything she does is going to be garbage because she’s being slightly dishonest, I’m saying that she’s being slightly dishonest by letting people simplify the situation to make her look good, and that’s something worth noting at least.

She’s being honest in her resume and the like, and yes, I did say that maybe she should consider the reputation of the people behind that award and maybe not put it on there, but she’s still not correcting anyone by saying what Cannes said: “The Cannes Independent Film Festival is not affiliated with the Cannes Film Festival”, and I think that’s still somewhat dishonest.

Truth be told, it’s not that dishonest, but it’s still somewhat.

Luzbelitx

Ok, this is the part that set my troll-dar on fire:

“Anita’s gaming detractors lost all claim to objectivity by going into full attack mode before Anita had shot a frame of her gaming videos.”

Now, do we agree with this? Because I believed we give exactly one (1) fuck about Anita’s detractors “objectivity” and all about them “being abusive assholes who harassed her with death and rape threats for years”.

Therefore, this passive-aggressive bit screams “concern troll” to me.

I don’t feel I need to defend myself for pointing out people sympathetic to the MRM also tendo to be bigots/frauds themselves.

I am prepared to be lectured by experience if the documentary exceeds my expectations, but NOT simply because someone who can’t tell harassment from criticism is trying to guilt-trip me into it.

As for calling this an “attack” or calling Cassie a “target” feels like absurdly falling into the troll trap, since none of us is even remotely planning to ever harass her, whatever the result of her work turns out to be.

And he brought up GamerGross specifically to make his point about us. He’s comparing our reactions to those against Anita.

So, I say fuck thee troll, and I bid thee fare well.

dhag85

FFS, people! I will provide some quotes from the website of the scam film festival. While reading these, keep in mind that this festival is, according to cannesguide.com, in no way affiliated with the Cannes Film Festival or Marché du Film.

The Cannes Independent Film Festival showcases the best of indie filmmaking during the annual Festival de Cannes. As an official part of the Cannes Film Festival’s Marché du Film, CIFF gives indie filmmakers the opportunity to network with the entire filmmaking industry, screen films at the Palais des Festival, and sell in the Film Market, all side-by-side with the year’s biggest new releases. This is the place to be if you are serious about film. Become a part of the amazing spectacle that is Cannes.

Being selected as a part of CIFF entitles you to: […] Have your film listed in the Official Festival de Cannes Market Guide

The mission of the Cannes Independent Film Festival is to provide truly independent films an opportunity to be screened during the world’s most prestigious film gathering and the biggest International Film Market — the Festival de Cannes.

CIFF is the first major addition to the Festival de Cannes since the Director’s Fortnight in 1968. With the mission of integrating low-budget indie films into the lifeblood of the Cannes Festival, CIFF now enters its third year of levelling the playing field for great filmmakers to get their works shown, and sold, in Cannes.

Working under the banner of the Marché du Film, CIFF has developed into a crucial business hub for the low-budget indie film industry, a key attraction during the Festival de Cannes, and one of the Europe’s most popular indie festivals.

Oh, and the url for the website is cannesfest.org, conveniently leaving out the “independent” part.

I mean, come ON.

bodycrimes

You know what? I’ve just looked it up and it’s clearly a scam, but the people being scammed are the people (like Cassie) who pay the fees in the hope they’ll win the award. She was all of 24 when she went in for this. Who knows? Maybe she was really, really thrilled when she got her certificate in the post, thinking it was worth something and she’s never retracted it since.

Should she? Yes. Is it a big deal? Only in that it’s strange that a legit documentary maker would keep using it.

These scams are not unusual in the creative arts. Who could possibly keep track of all the competitions that hand out shiny trophies for short stories and poems, where the entrance fees have been really high. They’re scams, but I’ve known people who are really proud of their ‘publication’ or their certificate.

Yeah, she should know better. But being a sucker for a fake award just makes you a sucker.

sn0rkmaiden

@dhag85 and Paradoxical Intention,

would you care about this if she wasn’t apparently cozy with the MRAs right now? AVFM is trying to grift more money for this by claiming that feminists are now attacking Jaye, and that this is ‘the film SJWs don’t want you to see’, isn’t David’s article playing right into their hands?

I doubt anyone here gave to Jaye’s kickstarter, so I don’t see why her credentials are of concern. Isn’t this a bit like when Sarkeesian’s detractors accuse her of ripping off her backers?

Paradoxical Intention

I’m seconding Luzbelitx on this one. Felipe be concern trollin’.

And also double seconding that bringing up the actions of GG against Anita and somehow conflating us and them devoid of the context that GG is notorious for harassing people while we are not is gross and really uncalled for.

Tulse
Tulse

I sense some huge business opportunities — I’m going to set up a “School in Economics” in London (Ontario), and a cooking school called “The Sorbone” in Paris (Texas).

sn0rkmaiden

@Bodycrimes,

given what we already know about Jaye, it shouldn’t be surprising she fell for a scam. She’s shown herself pretty naive recently, either by falling for Elam’s schtick, or by foolishly thinking she can pull a fast one on the guys who are promoting and funding her film. A pity as ‘Daddy I Do’ looks pretty good.

But I still think it’s a bad idea to dig dirt on her at this stage.

Fred_the_dog
Fred_the_dog

Her documentary may turn out to be great, but this effort to puff herself up with a fake award — which she must certainly know is fake — does not make her look credible, IMHO. You would think that credibility would be an issue in making documentaries.

Paradoxical Intention

bodycrimes | October 31, 2015 at 5:44 pm

But she continues to not correct people when they misrepresent the facts. It’s dishonest.

Again, slightly dishonest, but still dishonest.

sn0rkmaiden | October 31, 2015 at 5:44 pm
@dhag85 and Paradoxical Intention,

I can’t speak for everyone here, but yeah, I would care about this if she wasn’t cozy with the MRM right now.

Because she’s making a documentary about The Red Pill and MRM “philosophy”, and if she makes this film be feminist-leaning, or if the roles were flipped and it was feminists funding the documentary, then the MRAs would undoubtedly bring up the fact that this is a scam award themselves, and they’d be right to do so, if only because she keeps using it, despite the fact that the group behind it has been debunked by the actual festival.

The difference between Jaye at the moment and Sarkeesian is that Antia’s work isn’t prefaced or publicized by any sort of awards, just her degree and her love for her work.

Again, I’m not saying this makes Jaye an awful person, but it is something worth noting here, and it’s something that will undoubtedly be used against her in the future if the MRM decides to shred her for not doing a good enough job.

@sn0rkmaiden

You’re basically asking if I would care about this if I didn’t know about it. It’s this like a zen trick question?

Seriously though, yes, I think this would be equally dishonest if a feminist did it. I don’t know why you’re even asking that. The answer should be obvious.

bodycrimes is right, in that Jaye exaggerating her credentials is in itself not a huge deal. My biggest problem with this is that she’s being funded by AVfM and she lets AVfM outright lie about this award, while in return she’s making this movie for them. Yeah, I think that’s a thing worth pointing out.

As for the whole idea that criticizing manospherians only benefits manospherians, let’s just say I don’t agree at all.

“It’s this” = “Is this”

dhag85

If David Futrelle paid Cassie Jaye to make a documentary about We Hunted The Mammoth, while writing blog posts about her winning a Cannes Film Festival award, I’d call him out on it. I guess that’s the shorter answer.

Paradoxical Intention

dhag just said it better than I could, honestly, though I would point out that Cassie Jaye identifies herself as a feminist.

dhag85

How exactly is Sarkeesian supposed to have ripped off her backers? Sorry, I haven’t kept up with all the GG nonsense.

bodycrimes

@Paradoxical Intention. Look, I agree with you. She should correct the record and not use it.

But I come back to the point I made before – right now, she’s being love bombed by the MRAs. They’re offering her tea and cuddles, loads of money, and loads of money.

They’re a crazy paranoid cult. And right now she’s spending time with them and, whether she’s playing a long game with them or not, she’s breathing in the same paranoid air they do. They’re going to love, love, love this attack on her. It bolsters their case.

@Paradoxical Intention

Yeah, thanks for the correction. I knew that, but screwed up.

bodycrimes

And also, we don’t know if she IS making a documentary that’s sympathetic towards them. There’s nothing she’s said in either her kickstarter campaign notes or her Breitbart interview that has her unequivocably coming down on the side of the MRAs.

I’d be very interested to see what she said when she was raising money for Daddy I Do. I wonder if she used the same tactics.

NothingClever
NothingClever

I think the reason this leaves such a bad taste in people’s mouths is because it *feels* petty on David’s part, like he deliberately went out looking for dirt to dig up on her to discredit her. The fact that it comes on the heels of a falling out between these two makes it seem personal. Might have been more appropriate to wait until the documentary started filming/previews came out with the glorified award/etc.

dhag85

I guess I should say for the record that I don’t know a thing about Cassie Jaye other than what’s been expressed here by me and others. She could be a wonderful person and I wouldn’t know. And, crucially, I don’t need to know any of that stuff in order to understand that she’s been dishonest in several ways.

Guys, it’s about ethics in documentary film making. Seriously though, it is.

@bodycrimes

Sorry for the caps, but WHO CARES. Did you not read any of my previous comments? Past actions are not magically undone by the contents of a future documentary. How is this so difficult.

Bina
Bina

At worst, her pride in this bogus award is dishonest on her part, an attempt to make herself look more important/critically acclaimed than she is.

At best, it makes her look heartbreakingly naïve and easily sucked in, and raises legitimate concern that her subject, by financing her, will influence how favorably they are shown in the film.

Either way, it doesn’t make her look good. And it is perfectly legitimate to bring that up.

@NothingClever

I think you’re onto something there, to be honest. I guess it could feel petty if that’s what you want to believe. I don’t know David to be particularly petty from his previous blogging, so I’m more inclined to believe he found this information as a natural consequence of writing about her in the last few days. When you gather information about a thing, you learn about the thing.

Paradoxical Intention

bodycrimes | October 31, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Except it’s not an attack? It’s literally David going “Hey, that thing that AVfM and a few other people said about Jaye is wrong.”

Of course, everything we say is construed as an “attack” against the MRM though, and I don’t see how this would be any different, nor do I see how this “bolsters their case”, beyond their usual argument of “everything feminists say against us is an attack on everything we love, and thus they’re all evil, conniving bitches!”

bodycrimes | October 31, 2015 at 6:02 pm

I don’t recall saying that this movie was going to be sympathetic towards MRAs, but that was a worry we talked about in the previous thread as well, if the money gifted to her to fund this thing was going to sway her opinions and such.

However, we discussed this in the last thread, and a conclusion was drawn on my part, with the help of other commenters: Either way, it’s not going to end well for her.

If she makes the movie sympathetic towards them, she’ll be shunned by feminists and a large group of other people for making gross people sympathetic, and there’s a scarily large chance that even if she does, she won’t do it exactly to Elam and Co.’s liking, and will be attacked for it.

And if she makes the movie not sympathetic to them, she’ll be attacked by Elam and Co. for taking their money and using it to make them look bad, most likely by showing the truth.

They did the same thing to Jeff Shartlet, who they thought was going to write an awesome article about them for GQ (although he wasn’t backed by their money, which might make Jaye’s case worse).

dhag85

I think maybe I need to clarify that while Jaye has definitely been at least a little bit dishonest, the people I’m really criticizing are AVfM and the other manospherians. They’ve paid a person to make a documentary about them, while acting as if this person will be unbiased despite being funded by the subjects of her own movie, AND lying about the film maker’s credentials. That’s pretty shady behavior.

@Paradoxy

I have to ask. I’ve seen you spell Sharlet’s name as “Shartlet” twice now. Is this a mistake or is it some sort of inside joke? Either way, it makes me smile every time. :p