MGTOW reddit video games

MGTOW: I learned how to live my life from The Sims

I told you fireworks were a bad idea.

Over on the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit, one Redditor tells his comrades how he developed his philosophy of life:

I learned mgtow from the original Sims (self.MGTOW) submitted 4 days ago by onbakeplatinum Way back when the original Sims came out and I was 14, I tried to play as my actual family. That turned out to be a complete nightmare, trying to control multiple people, always being short on money, dealing with their moods and unwillingness to do anything, etc. Then I played as just a single Sim. The game became ridiculously easy. I only had to manage one person, could live in a small house, and train/go to work all the time. My Sim was extremely happy. She became rich and I pimped her small house (I tried to make the smallest house possible) with the highest quality items. I maxed out all her stats. I don't remember much else. But it occurred to me way back then that this was how I wanted to live my life. Alone and simple. I didn't NEED to have a family like everyone else and manage/deal with other people. I could live in a small (but nice) place because it's just me, and even though I don't make much money, it's only me I have to worry about.

This seems a bit weird to me. I also played the original Sims game when it came out, and that wasn’t the lesson I drew from it at all. The lessons I learned were a little, well, darker. Some that I remember:

• If you place a bunch of people in a house with no bathrooms and no doors, they will be extremely unhappy, and will start leaving puddles on the floor.
  • If you place a bunch of people in a house with the only toilet in the middle of the living room, they will be nearly as unhappy as the first bunch of people.
  • If you build a house with no doors, chairs, couches or beds, the people trapped within it will also be really unhappy, and will ultimately try to sleep standing up or lying on the floor.
  • Building a fence around them while they’re out in the yard will do the trick as well.
  • If someone is swimming in your backyard pool, and you quickly build an insurmountable wall around it, they will eventually drown.
  • Actually, never mind, I think if you simply “forget” to put a ladder in the pool, they can’t get out either.

So I guess I mainly learned some very basic “don’ts” in home design, such as the importance of having a door. And in fact I have not designed any doorless — or bathroomless, or bedless — houses since then. Or any houses at all, actually.

I’m not the only one who learned lessons about the importance of doors, as the following videos I found on Youtube make abundently clear. Also, shooting off fireworks inside a doorless room is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

Well, you get the idea.

Have you learned any important life lessons from the Sims, or any other videogames?

tov01
tov01

Gipsz Jakab, I wasn’t sure you’d see it on the original post: You were asking about the girl who was nearly driven to suicide by Steven Universe “SJWs.” You may want to check out this link for more information: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/steven-universe-fanartist-bullied-controversy/

mockingbird
mockingbird
Ellesar
Ellesar

When I was a child (before gaming) I had a fantasy of adult life. I had a stationery shop and I would cycle to work, and for fun I would go on a boat down the river whilst a Shakespeare play was being performed! It was VERY solitary.

As an adult I am not solitary, as I have had children. When I was younger I was extremely sociable.

The description that this man gives of his childhood is of apparent only moderate dysfunction, so I wonder what it takes to opt out of human relationships entirely? Not even sharing a home with a close friend? Not talking about friend groups, or indeed any of your family with warmth, just as things that get in the way of a peaceful life.

And why assume that your life will be just like it was when you were a child?! My life has pretty much nothing in common with the adult life I saw when I was growing up. I made an effort NOT to give my kids the childhood I had, and I have succeeded! The only thing that is worse is the poverty – but my step father drank a lot of the money anyway.

I actually feel pretty sorry for this man – he sounds like he suffers a real lack of confidence in his ability to live life on his terms – the only way he can see that is to shut off from people as much as possible.

Luzbelitx

I learned from Monkey Island that you don’t win a swordfight by being very good with swords, instead you need to be very good at coming up with ways to insult your opponent.

Viscaria
Viscaria

That’s all well and good, Luzbelix, except I’ve heard it said that you fight like a dairy farmer!

skiriki

More stuff learned:

Populous (1, Promised Lands expansion, 2):
– Gods are assholes and if you become a god, you’re no exception.
– The funniest way to watch little people die is to create swamps.
– Baptism pond creates a horrible urge of auto-dunking in people.
– Armageddon creates a “In the Hills, the Cities”/End of Evangelion effect, and then we duke it out.
– People are really happy in a Cray-1 cluster.
– Politics have been a part and parcel of games like forever, man. (If you played on Amiga, your enemies occupied Atari STs and similar; vice versa for Atari.)

Mr. Robot:
– Walking across a bomb sets the fuse going.

Lemmings (1, 2, all the –ing expansions):
– Sometimes, someone must sacrifice themselves so the rest can live.
– If you’re about to explode, stick your fingers into your ears and squat a bit, declare “Oh no!” in high-pitched voice, then you will go off in a colorful pop! I should try this in bed.
– You can carry only seven slates of stone. If your bridge needs to be longer, then you need to refresh them before you continue to walk into void.
– Everything conspires to kill you.
– You can’t dig through steel.
– You enter life through a door, and you exit life through a door.
– If you save an awesome number of lives before you leave, your score will be higher.

The Incredible Machine:
– Life is basically one ginormous Rube Goldberg machine.

Leisure Suit Larry I:
– No matter how alone you think you are when you get certain items, the shop is still full of eavesdropping people willing to judge you.
– There’s an incredible amount of condom styles.
– Always check your shoe before you walk out of the restroom.

Nethack:
– Do not eat everything.
– Some items need to be handled with gloves on.

Larn:
– Parents can really do anything they can to save their kid.

Dungeon Hack:
– There are sounds that can trigger a migraine. Learned this the hard way. (This is not a joke entry — effin’ Scaladars. I have to turn off sounds if I find a dungeon level with them, which will make things very inconvenient.)

tov01
tov01

From the Sims 2 I learned that:
Babies suck up all your free time. I’m on good authority (i.e. my parents) that this is accurate.
A town can have more than one mayor.
Be careful when stargazing.
You might see Count Dracula blehing at you on the dance floor.

anon
anon

Lessons learned from every sim game from sim city to the sims: Fire. That is all.

dslucia1
dslucia1

You can admit that something you like is flawed and STILL like it. (Sonic 2006)

Whoa now, there are some things that are just going too far. ;D

What I learned from games (and in many cases media in general) is that even if you have the power of a god, getting amnesia will cause you to lose everything. Even when your power is given to you by Space Magic and there’s no actual reason you shouldn’t be accidentally zapping everyone you meet.

Also, people tend to be horribly unprepared for things, and will often conveniently forget or misplace the things that ended up being incredibly helpful to them on their last adventure.

Robots will either be entirely passive and subservient, or will be genocidal and always two steps ahead of any humans who happen to be around. Except for that one robot who’s your buddy. They’re cool.

Aliens will almost exclusively be humanoid, and most will have humanoid reproductive systems as well, which conveniently happen to be compatible with human organs.

Most people don’t have names, and many might look identical to that person walking down the other way across the road. The people who do have names are nigh-invincible, and will frequently be able to make a getaway even when you’ve spent the last ten minutes wiping the floor with them.

numerobis
numerobis

From games I learned that two half-asses make an asshat.

Since then I’ve been a perfectionist. Or only working on one thing.

PsyConomics
PsyConomics

— Eating or drinking absolutely anything from anywhere might have profound, immediate, and deep consequences for my body and how I interact with the world (corruption of champions).

Actually, if all the MRA’s were playing that silly little (and I’m warning you now highly highly nsfw) game that might explain a lot… Then again maybe not. That game is pretty inclusive.

Chaos-Engineer
Chaos-Engineer

Did he use the “money cheat” to play the Sims? The story doesn’t make sense otherwise.

My experience in the original game was that it was hard to run a one-person household – you’d just barely have enough time and energy to take care of everything.

If you wanted to maximize your standard of living, the game pushed you towards a 1950’s-style two-person household, where one person went off to work and the other stayed home and took care of all the cooking, cleaning, and socializing. (Socializing was very important because you needed to have a lot of household friends to qualify for high-level promotions at work.)

kiki
kiki

There’s one game that I actually learned a lot of non-comedy things from: Victoria 2.

Well, it probably doesn’t speak too well for my education, but I learned a fair bit about history from Assassin’s Creed. By which I mean, I learnt of the existence of interesting historical things that I could then go and Google to find out more about. I don’t mean I ‘learned’ that Pope Alexander had a magical alien staff and so on.

And then there’s geography and architecture; I still know next to nothing about either, but I can at least tell you what Hagia Sophia or the Roman Pantheon looks like, or point out the rough location of major landmarks in Paris (I learned what a transept is trying to solve one of the riddles in Unity). Hell, playing Syndicate, I’m becoming more familiar with the layout of my own fucking city, London – yes, I really need to get out more.

In fact, a cool thing about Syndicate for me is that about 200 yards off the bottom of the map, south of Lambeth bridge, is the pub where I had my wedding reception. So while I can’t quite reach the actual location, I can more or less see a Victorian version of the view that’s in the background of some of my wedding photos. Has anyone else got any personal connection to, or even lived in, the real-life version of a specific video game location?

childrenofthebroccoli
childrenofthebroccoli

Minecraft: building a portal to hell will result in no worse consequences than having a zombie pigman or two wandering around your vegetable garden.

Wasteland taught me that literally anything can fit into a toaster.

freemage

Civilization, all of them: Ghandi was an ass.

Monzach
Monzach

@Numerobis

Is that a reference to the Kingdom of Loathing I see? 😀

yutolia
yutolia

The Sims and my parents together taught me the importance of keeping loads of rocks and dried food in my inventory at all times.

Vetarnias
Vetarnias

After MGTOW games reviewing, how about some MGTOW film criticism?:

(Seriously, what’s wrong with these people?)

Vetarnias
Vetarnias

Uh, did the system just gobble up my post?

Paradoxical Intention

megpie71 | October 29, 2015 at 8:57 pm
What I’ve learned from Video & Computer Games
[…]
* Sulking in a coffin for thirty years doesn’t help anything. (Final Fantasy VII again).

*snerk*

Oh, and something else I’ve learned from video games:

The wait for a new bit of DLC can be well-worth it, but it might come along and delete your entire goddamned save file that you worked so hard on and unlocked so many items and characters, including that one fucking character you can only unlock by not taking any damage for two whole goddamned floors.

In other news, guess who got the Afterbirth DLC for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth?

(Hint: It’s me, and I’m about to do my first run. Pray for me.)

Paradoxical Intention

UPDATE: I just realized I had to import my save files.

Whoopsie. I rage-flailed too soon.

Shadow
Shadow

@Viscaria

Oh yeah! Well, Luzbelitx is rubber and you’re glue!

Re: OP

Sims 2 actually taught me that romantic relationships are super easy to maintain. A quick bout of woohoo every two days is more than enough to satisfy all your partner’s needs. Kids and friends, on the other hand, are the greatest time sucks you’ll ever encounter. Also, if you really want to roll in the dough, mass produce a bunch of clown paintings.

This post has also convinced me to delve back into the black hole that is Sims 3, so cheers for that

Andrea Nemerson
Andrea Nemerson

What I learned from the original Sims: You’d better actually meet someone and get to know them before you move in together. Otherwise they will completely freak out when you try to get in bed with them.

Moggie
Moggie

I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

wwax

And here was me thinking they took their inspiration from the “Leisure Suit Larry” Series. Am I showing my age with that reference?

Luzbelitx

@Shadow & Viscaria

Well, you better stop waving it like it’s a cow!

I mean, it’s appropriate that you fight like a feather duster!

… I might be a bit rusty for this.

NicolaLuna
NicolaLuna

Tomb Raider 2 taught me that locking the butler in the meat locker is funnier than expected. And that if the ground looks cracked you should only stand on it briefly before jumping to the next bit of ground or you will fall to your death.

Lester Bangs
Lester Bangs

Well this individual doesn’t seem particularly pathological. Wanting to live by yourself and on modest means seems a way to build a stable and comfortable life. If you don’t particularly want company, why inflict yourself on others?

Bina
Bina

From Tetris, I learned that the reward for frantically stacking and organizing stuff is: more stuff to frantically stack and organize! And do it faster this time!

And from Textris (like Tetris, but with words), I learned that I suck at making verbiage from falling blocks with random letters in them.

And I’m an English major. Huh.

Bina
Bina

After MGTOW games reviewing, how about some MGTOW film criticism?:

(Seriously, what’s wrong with these people?)

They’re robots, with robot voices. Badly programmed, too, by the sounds of them. Which might explain a lot…

Orion

As long as I’m the main character shockingly handsome, I can be a total asshole to everyone and they will still love and respect me.

Fixed that for you. Seriously though, women throughout the game just will not stop talking about how good-looking he is, and this is the explicit motivation for some stupid shenanigans, which was eye-opening to my little 10-year-old self. I learned a LOT from that game.

Actually, funny story. When I was in college, my girlfriend called me from her college all freaked out because he roommate “was playing a video game that is totally about you. Seriously, it’s uncanny how much this guy looks, acts, dresses like you.” Without missing a beat I said “Is it Final Fantasy 8? It’s Final Fantasy 8, right? You know, I did try to tell you this game was a big deal to me.” I had consciously used his style as inspiration for my own wardrobe, but what I did *not* know until my girlfriend told me was that I had unconsciously copied his gestures and posture.

So yeah. If any mammoths were wondering what I looked like in real life, now you know:http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BC-Squall-pic-1.jpg

yutolia
yutolia

@monzach, @numerobis

Yay KoL!!!

Parse The Potatoes

What gaming has taught me:
– Use your words! (How appropriate, you fight like a cow!)
– Use your words! (Fus ro dah!)
– Use your words! (Your opponent writhes in pain, suffering 45 points of spelling damage.)
– Use your words! (What can change the nature of a man?)

bananananana dakry
bananananana dakry

If it sparkles, save it. (WoW)
If the ground gains a red field, get the fuck away from it. (Wildstar)
Magic-spitting dual-wielded pistols with infinite ammo are a thing. As are two-handed swords. With monomolecular, nuclear edges. Against giant robots.
Many objects can have multiple uses. Tablet computers, for example, make excellent roofing tiles when resized.
You can, in fact, kill things with your brain.
Bags have a function to vacuum up floating loot.
No matter how technically advanced an alien race can be, they will have the common sense of moldy shrimp pellets when it comes to, say, making a god. Also, ego and office politics will be involved. ( all Wildstar. You nay sense a trend.)

baroncognito

That video is really difficult to listen to. He has no concept of natural speech rhythms. I can handle a monotone, I have no objection to vocal fry, but the guy is just firing off sentences with no appreciation for the language.

baroncognito

Never be a tourist. (Nethack)
If you lose your beeper you can’t be a doctor. (Life and Death)
There is no healing arrow. (City of Heroes)
Screaming at people lowers their resistance. (City of Heroes)
Inspiration can be purchased with influence. (City of Heroes)

Paradoxical Intention

People will always pick up and eat donuts found on the floor. This is a flawless way to murder them without anyone noticing. (Lucius)

Sometimes hiding in plain sight is the best way to avoid detection. (GMod Prop Hunt)

Never trust a talking monochrome bear who sounds like Doraemon. (Dangan Ronpa)

Sometimes, if you can’t progress, you need to start all over. (Minecraft)

The best way to get people to defend your home, is if you make it their home too! (Unholy Heights)

Everything in the 80s was neon-colored and drug-fueled. (Hotline Miami)

Little children wandering in the wilderness will be eaten by giant spiders. (LIMBO)

Sometimes, in the quest to find answers, you will find a truth you cannot come back from, and you will not like. (Year Walk)

Your story is yours. Don’t let other people tell you how to live it. (The Stanley Parable)

Next time you decide to take an amnesia potion because you can’t handle your guilt, and you need to kill the man who got you involved in some shady shit, kill him, then make your way to the front of the creepy old castle and then drink the damn thing! (Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

That Amnesia lesson is a very specific one, Paradoxy. Have you often found it applicable elsewhere in life?

baroncognito

[blockquote]People will always pick up and eat donuts found on the floor. This is a flawless way to murder them without anyone noticing.[/bockquote]

That’s ridiculous, it needs to be on a plate or in a box.

Paradoxical Intention

@EJ: Kind of, with a bit of editing. It’s more of a lesson of doing things in a logical, proper order that doesn’t end up undoing most of the work you’ve done.

@baroncognito: Actually, in the game, the donuts come in a traditional pink bakery box, and you just throw some generic poison on the donuts, and then put them on the floor where the person will see it, and they’ll just drop dead. It’s hilarious, in a very dark kind of way.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Lester – I agree with you.
In fact, I find no fault with any MGTOW when they talk of their desire to live alone / without romantic attachment.

Unfortunately, their otherwise perfectly reasonable lifestyle choices turn sour when viewed in context, surrounded by misogyny Tourette’s.

Orion

Baroncognito,

Why must you make me cry with your CoH memories? Why?

Orion

If you make plans to meet somewhere with 5 friends, someone will always get lost (Baldur’s Gate)

dhag85

surrounded by misogyny Tourette’s.

I think this might be ableist?

girlgeek80
girlgeek80

Let’s see, in sims 2 I learned that
1.you can lock a toddler in a room with a bottle, blanket and potty for like 12 hours no problem
2. Small children can be put to work growing weed (as long as they do their homework first)
3. I should probably never have kids.

mockingbird
mockingbird

dhag – If so, I apologize.

baroncognito

Paradoxical Information: Oh, okay, that checks out. If it was a poison I wasn’t immune to, I’d really die.

Orion: It’s still the video game I’ve spent the most time playing. I’ve got high hopes for City of Titans.

More lessons from City of Heroes:

Sometimes you need to ask everyone to be absolutely quiet so you can try to hear the subtle hum of something important.

If you don’t give people the numbers, they will find the numbers. (this was really learned from the forums, not so much the game. Thank you Arcanaville, where ever you may be)

If everything is a little too hard for you, you can talk to someone to tone it down.

While it can be nice to hold someone, it’s not so great being held.

Catherine Reed (@Radiojane1)
Catherine Reed (@Radiojane1)

Microsoft Flight Simulator taught me that I should never become a pilot, as flying upside down or in never-ending loops that I can’t pull out of, would get me fired from most airlines. Fun fact: It taught a friend of mine how to fly a plane into the WTC twin towers.

mrex
mrex

Legend of Zelda taught me that if anyone tells you they ate chicken for dinner last night you should punch them in the face for being lying liars.