MGTOW reddit video games

MGTOW: I learned how to live my life from The Sims

I told you fireworks were a bad idea.

Over on the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit, one Redditor tells his comrades how he developed his philosophy of life:

I learned mgtow from the original Sims (self.MGTOW) submitted 4 days ago by onbakeplatinum Way back when the original Sims came out and I was 14, I tried to play as my actual family. That turned out to be a complete nightmare, trying to control multiple people, always being short on money, dealing with their moods and unwillingness to do anything, etc. Then I played as just a single Sim. The game became ridiculously easy. I only had to manage one person, could live in a small house, and train/go to work all the time. My Sim was extremely happy. She became rich and I pimped her small house (I tried to make the smallest house possible) with the highest quality items. I maxed out all her stats. I don't remember much else. But it occurred to me way back then that this was how I wanted to live my life. Alone and simple. I didn't NEED to have a family like everyone else and manage/deal with other people. I could live in a small (but nice) place because it's just me, and even though I don't make much money, it's only me I have to worry about.

This seems a bit weird to me. I also played the original Sims game when it came out, and that wasn’t the lesson I drew from it at all. The lessons I learned were a little, well, darker. Some that I remember:

• If you place a bunch of people in a house with no bathrooms and no doors, they will be extremely unhappy, and will start leaving puddles on the floor.
  • If you place a bunch of people in a house with the only toilet in the middle of the living room, they will be nearly as unhappy as the first bunch of people.
  • If you build a house with no doors, chairs, couches or beds, the people trapped within it will also be really unhappy, and will ultimately try to sleep standing up or lying on the floor.
  • Building a fence around them while they’re out in the yard will do the trick as well.
  • If someone is swimming in your backyard pool, and you quickly build an insurmountable wall around it, they will eventually drown.
  • Actually, never mind, I think if you simply “forget” to put a ladder in the pool, they can’t get out either.

So I guess I mainly learned some very basic “don’ts” in home design, such as the importance of having a door. And in fact I have not designed any doorless — or bathroomless, or bedless — houses since then. Or any houses at all, actually.

I’m not the only one who learned lessons about the importance of doors, as the following videos I found on Youtube make abundently clear. Also, shooting off fireworks inside a doorless room is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

Well, you get the idea.

Have you learned any important life lessons from the Sims, or any other videogames?

magnesium
magnesium

Oh man. My sister had all the good Sims expansion packs, including the House Party pack.

Using a few tricks involving plants and a fireplace in a small room detached from my sim’s main house, I was able to invite neighbours over for parties and murder them in the fire room. I kept all of their tombstones in the backyard and then more victims would come to the parties and cry at the tombstones. They’d never leave the party, though. Wacky Sims.

mockingbird
mockingbird

I learned from The Sims that I hated The Sims.

I could barely manage my own life – why would I want to micromanage another person’s?

I learned from Battletoads that one should avoid friendly fire if at all possible.

And from the Borderlands franchise I learned that I can jump from just about any height and be hunky-dory (as long as that jump wasn’t off of the edge of the mapped world) and that even Badass Psychos are no match for an elemental-infused force bubble.

delphi_ote
delphi_ote

I learned that money literally grows on trees and that vampires and aliens are real.

mockingbird
mockingbird

Another important lesson from Borderlands for MRAs of all stripes:

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

ARK: Survival Evolved has taught me the valuable lesson that if you have anything good in your life (like a rideable Utahraptor with a saddle that I spent really long on making), it will at some point be taken from you, and that you need to be able to emotionally deal with that loss.

Assassin’s Creed has taught me that I can jump off literally any building I want and survive, as long as there’s a conveniently placed haystack at the bottom. Also that my history teachers are seriously misinformed.

Finally, The Walking Dead has taught me that crying at a video game is an entirely acceptable thing for a young man to do, because OH GOD CLEMENTINE I’M SO SORRY I MADE YOU DO THAT I’M SO SORRYHHYYY

Button
Button

Hey, more power to this guy. The Sims is a weird source of inspiration for living the single life, granted, but you do you.

Paradoxical Intention

To be perfectly honest (and to repeat myself, as we often do when this comes up), I don’t mind if these guys want to go off on their own and live their own lives. That’s a perfectly valid thing to want to do, and they shouldn’t be shamed for it.

The problem comes when you blame an entire group of people (in this case, women) for being “forced” to make that decision, because you don’t like the way they do things. It’s not the fault of women that you want to “go your own way”, but rather that was a choice you made for yourself, and no one cares (and no one should care) if you do want to go.

To answer David’s question though, What Paradoxy Learned from Video Games:

Skyrim:
– If you want to do bad things like join a murder-cult or a guild of thieves, also go and join the good guilds too, and then people will only know about the good things.
– Also, become a thane and get political power, and you can get away with anything by telling the guards you’re a thane, and simply enjoying the legal immunity that comes with it.
– Then get lots of money, lots of houses, and become second only to the emperor of Tamriel, and people will be too scared to question you.

Saint’s Row:
– Hitting someone with a 4 foot long floppy purple dildo bat really hurts.
– Aliens are jerks who need to be hit with a 4 foot long floppy purple dildo bat.

Bioshock:
– Ayn Rand wasn’t that practical.

Prison Architect:
– Prisoners are people too, and if you don’t treat them right and give them basic comforts everyone should have, they’ll gang up on your guards and shank them all with homemade weapons and riot.

The Binding of Isaac:
– There’s a difference between being devout and being fanatic.

Postmortem: One Must Die
– Choices have consequences.

Minecraft:
– If you don’t like the world as it is, mod it until it breaks.

sheehank

Dwarf Fortress taught me a few things
1: Marxism-Leninism is the way forward. Capitalist economies ruin your FPS, impoverish the children of the nobility, and make dwarves waste time carrying coins everywhere.
2: It doesn’t matter if there’s a horrible massacre so long as you have a really nice dining room to cheer everyone up.
3: The best way to execute serial killers is to brick them up in a small room and force them to do paperwork until the end of time.
4: The best way to train your military is to throw your soldiers off a three story cliff onto a single wooden training spear. If they survive, they will become like unto gods.
5: Sand is infinite. You can never run out of sand.
6: Aquifers are literally satan.
7: Microcline is the greatest of all stones.
8: The instant a child grows up, they will become Mayor.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

The Sims taught me that I’m a weirdo who can’t handle being cruel to virtual pets. I killed one, spent the next week feeling guiltier than a Catholic in Confession, and went back to Pokemon.

No, don’t ask how that meshes with my slash-and-burn, take-no-prisoners approach to dealing with trolls, I have no idea. ಠ_ಠ

Paradoxical Intention

@SFHC:

Maybe it’s because you actually feel bad about the pet because they were small and cute, and didn’t do anything to deserve what happened to them, whereas the trolls are making the decision to be assholes, and thus you feel okay with raining down the wrath of GLaDOS upon them?

Mike
Mike

– If you’re shot, set on fire, impaled on spikes, etc., it’s generally not a big deal – you just might get placed a little bit far away from wherever it was you were shot/burned/impaled.

– If you walk around a town and talk to the people there, most of them will say the exact same thing no matter how many times you talk to them.

– Even in the midst of an intense, life-or-death struggle, you can usually stop time if you need to go to the bathroom or get a snack or something.

– When people die, they tend to just fade into the ether and no one really reacts to it.

Skull Bearer (@SkullBearer)

Honestly, apart from coming from a shit site, I think that’s a pretty good message to take away. Look after yourself and be happy being single instead of worrying about what other people think and compromising yourself to make them happy. If that’s what the guy took away, good for him.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Ah, the original Sims. Or, as I like to call it, I’m Totally Straight I Promise,* I Just Really Like Making My Sims Lesbians For Some Reason. Brings me back.

*Incorrect, baby me.

Monzach
Monzach

Things I’ve learned from video games:

– Sometimes stealing stuff really is the best way to move forward in life. (Thanks Fallout 1&2)

– When you’re in a commanding position in a professional sports franchise, ethics go out of the window fast! (Football Manager and Eastside Hockey Manager)

– It definitely is very good to be a king, though being an emperor is even better. (Paradox Grand Strategy games, mainly the various iterations of the Europa Universalis series)

– I really shouldn’t be the head of any state. (Civilization, Democracy, EU1-4…)

– But most of all, gaming really can be a lot of fun, which is why I’ve been doing it for 26 years now. ^_^

weirwoodtreehugger

Glad I’m not alone in thinking this particular post wasn’t so bad. I don’t mind being single and childless because life is so much simpler that way. I’m prone to laziness at best and depression at worst so only having to worry about me and the cats and my brother once my parents die or become infirm suits me well. It’s the misogyny that’s bad, not wanting to be single.

That said, if this guy is hanging out in MGTOW reddit, he’s probably pretty misogynist.

Garen Truscott

Bioshock: Every moral conundrum and libertarian extremist can be dealt with by use of a swarm of bees.

Swales
Swales

Oblivion taught me that stealing all the food in somebody’s house and placing a single poisoned apple on a plate in their kitchen is a flawless murder plot. Works every time.

Garen Truscott

The Sims: I had Jesus and the Devil live together in one household and in spite of the Devil’s attitude the household functioned pretty well once I relocated the devil and his family to the basement.

Garen Truscott

Soma: So apparently I’m willing to pull the plug on myself. That was interesting.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Alice and Kev is a pretty good sims story: https://aliceandkev.wordpress.com

Garen Truscott

Mass Effect 1 and 2: Never Never NEVER have sex with a person you have previously killed. Oddly this rule needs to be put in place in addition to my iron clad rule against necrophilia.

It just isn’t right.

NonServiam

Video games taught me that if it looks like you can’t get in somewhere, you just need to learn the right song on your Ocarina. Also you can come and go from adulthood if you find the right sword.

I haven’t learned any of those songs OR found that sword, but let me tell ya, when I do, life is gonna be sweeeeeet

Button
Button

7: Microcline is the greatest of all stones.

Fuck microcline. It’s everywhere and it’s not even magma-safe.

Garen Truscott

Daggerfall: Vagrancy is the worst of all crimes.

NonServiam

Red clothes will let you survive unholy levels of heat.

Garen Truscott

I don’t know what the Sim-MGTOW’s problem was. I found running large families as a reliable way to make masses of money. It was almost too easy except for the more regular appearance of game breaking bugs with larger families.

dhag85

– If you ever find out about any form of rumor, legend, folk myth, etc, the story will always be 100% true, and usually easily verified. For example, for centuries people have told stories of the mythological monster supposedly residing in the cave west of the village. You go to the cave and instantly run into (and kill) the monster.

– You can go right, or up. Left or down is a no no.

– In the city you are safe. Anywhere else, you are in mortal danger.

– The ultimate hipster store: sell one and only one item. Make it very expensive. Hide your store inside a rock, requiring customers to use explosives in order to find you.

– Other people may speak. You do not speak.

dhag85

Oh and also:

Everybody in the world is either aged 100. There is no inbetween.

anemonerosie

Portal taught me that I can jump really high! It also taught me that the cake is a lie. This conflicts with Fat Princess, which taught me that both cake and bombs have a place in the world.

Skyrim taught me that I need to expand my vocabulary and that, with the right words, I can be immensely powerful.

Dead Space taught me to avoid aliens at all costs, while Dead Nation taught me to avoid zombies. I’m sensing a theme here.

Bioshock taught me that I have a soft spot for Little Girls. This game also taught me that if I’m working at one of our art deco venues I need to do so on some sleep otherwise I will start to hallucinate seeing Little Girls crawling around the venue and get very scared.

Tamagotchi taught me that pocket-animals can morph into exciting creatures, but that this is dependent on them getting played with, and being given food. Trying to do one without the other doesn’t work as well.

dhag85

Lol. Sorry about that, I used “less than” and “more than” symbols, and I guess it messed up my rule. Let’s try again:

– Everybody in the world is either aged less than 17 or more than 100. There is no inbetween.

Ace
Ace

Jumping on turtles is fun, but if you kick the shell and it hits you, you die. Also, hit blocks with your head hard enough and they pop out coins.

loquora

We Love Katamari taught me that rocks are flammable and alligators are a street legal form of transportation.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@PI

Hah, yeah, that makes sense. ^^; Probably for the best, really, don’t want to wear out the sarcasm processor. =P

@otherwise

What I learned from Mario Maker: People who make rooms with two hundred springs, three hundred Goombas and no exits are douchebags. Also, the world has way too many douchebags.

Arthur Meyer

The mother of the Sims, SimCity, taught me some very important lessons.

– People hate living next door to a factory.
– Not having public transportation results in traffic problems.
– Education helps fight crime and gives us high-tech factories.
– Don’t call Maxis complaining about how there’s no Fusion Power Plants in 2050.
– Parks make everything better.
– People get sick and die from pollution.
– Llamas are sacred, or is it goats?
– Aliens love to blow up landmarks for some reason.
– Solar panels can work under freeway overpasses.
– Don’t cut back on funding, ever.

Chayanov
Chayanov

I learned that life is running around in a maze, but if you take drugs you can eat ghosts.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Video games taught me that you can correct your course mid-jump,and that you can run along walls if you build up enough momentum – but only for a little while. It’s called physics.

dhag85

@Arthur Meyer

Also from Sim City: No roads! Only rail plz!

Paradoxical Intention

There’s actually a game I really want to play that I watched someone do an LP of called “Shoppe Keep”, that looks pretty interesting.

You run a kind of medieval RPG store, where you sell adventuring gear and alchemy ingredients, and you have to occasionally deal with thieves (by murdering them to make an example to the other NPCs) and barbarians (by murdering them to make an example to the other barbarians).

In the interim, you can order new inventory for your shop, restock your shelves, repair your displays, and sweep up because everyone in town has filthy feet (Though, from what I understand, the floor mat you can purchase for your shop still bugs it out, and makes it so your shop’s doors won’t close, and thus won’t end the day).

After the shop closes for the day, you get to change your displays and/or add more of them or different types of them (because displays can only hold certain items), grow alchemy ingredients to sell, do some crafting of your own, and send an adventurer you have on payroll out to go get rare treasures for you to sell.

It’s in early access right now, but it looks equal parts fun, fast-paced, and charming so I’m all about this.

A better lesson to take away would have been you can’t have complete control over people and have them be happy, you can only have control over your own happiness but whatever.

Mike
Mike

Oh did anyone play the original Phantasy Star (which is a great game, btw; also one of your party members is a talking cat)? Well, minor spoilers if you haven’t: there’s a part where for some reason you need to acquire a cake to give as a gift, and the only place to get a cake is in a shop located in the bowels of a long, difficult dungeon. When you get there, the clerk is like “Sorry, I know this is a bad place to have a cake shop.”

Orion

I played the Mass Effect games, but I can’t figure out what you’re talking about.

Orion

PI,

There’s a well-reviewed game with a similar premise from a couple years back called Recettear.

@Paradoxical

Sips. :>

It also has a nice cartoony design which I’m all about.

@Orion

I think they’re talking about Samara *wink* but didn’t want to spoil.

dhag85

@Paradoxical Intention

Have you played Dragon Quest IV (I think?)? In one of the chapters you play as a weapons merchant. I always loved that chapter, but the mechanics of working in the shop are obviously very limited.

Arthur Meyer

@dhag85

Are you suggesting that where we’re going, there are no roads?

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

DayZ and Rust have taught me that my belief in the essential goodness of humankind is a falsehood wrought and maintained by the existence of civilization. Once said civilization eventually collapses, everything will go to shit.

Vanir (@Vanir85)

Fair enough.

I have no problem with MGTOW living like this. If it’s what they want, more power to them. What I HAVE a problem with, is THEIR problem with women living like this, IRL. A woman focusing on her own life, career and interests and not wanting a lasting relationship, would quickly be labeled cat-lady, man-hater, etc (and goddess help her if she also enjoys a sex life, THEN it gets nasty).

autosoma

Minecraft: an excellent way to teach my daughters (my 10 year old especially) about Geology, Geography and redstone gate programming. Also Amylee33, squashie, aphmal And Tiffy Ihascupquake are good ways to engage them that gaming is for girls.

Spore: totally fucking hilarious creature creator that my 6 year old daughter lives and it gives us an opportunity to piss about

Both have been told at school that gaming isn’t for girls, both have told boys that they can ic the want to.

I’ve found its a good way to teach them both empowerment

Nequam
Nequam

Costume Quest: only twisted monsters like candy corn.

1 2 3 5