feminism MRA

This 45-second video demolishes the MRA delusion that women have gotten too powerful in contemporary society

This video, put together by the UK edition of Elle magazine, imagines what the worlds of politics and culture might look like if all the men were to suddenly vanish from positions of power and influence.

Naturally, it’s a bit UK-centric in its examples, but, well, POINT MADE, regardless.

Your move, MRAs.

H/T — Quartz

kylagb

Brilliant. No words are needed.

brian

This proves nothing! Everyone knows that women control the world through the super seeekrit feminist illuminati!

brian

(side note: i dig the music in that video. anyone know what/who it is?)

Malitia - SJW Who Lurks Above in Shadow
Malitia - SJW Who Lurks Above in Shadow

Obviously women rule from the shadows by compelling men to do their bidding with the power of the butt so they don’t really need to be in leadership positions. … My brain hurts now.

Scarlettathena

Brian is right. The video doesn’t show the whole truth: that men do everything to impress women in the hopes of getting laid. So women control everything.

redsilkphoenix

Heh. Makes the same point that the comicbook series _Y, the Last Man_ did about men and society, but without the rampant Nice Guy(tm)/Marty Stuism that series was soaked in. (Or so I’ve heard; never had the chance to track down any of the issues to see for myself yet.)

Ellesar
Ellesar

When I have tried to point out the lack of gender parity I have been told that feminists do not need to be seen to be in power as they just tell the men what to say and do! When I pointed out that no one would really be happy to have someone else taking the credit and getting all the power I did not hear back!

Lack of parity in governments is apparently a non issue as women should be confident that a male representative will represent women as well as any woman – another thing I have been told. I am not confident that ANY government represents women properly unless there is parity – even the Nordic countries are not there yet at 41.1%.

Hm?
Hm?

I don’t get it. More than half of these examples are elected representatives of the people. Although the representative might not be a woman, women still contributed to the election of those people. I think it’s a stronger point to say that women have gained a lot of power given that some of the worse-off countries represented at the UN have female representatives. It shows a nice progression forward.
Personally, I think it’s great that women have access to such powerful positions, but I don’t think this is accurate to say that this debunks the MRA position or necessarily represents it well. Perhaps the positions further down on the line, but not the positions I’ve seen so far.

Fetor Flank
Fetor Flank

Of course, any number of women with any power at all meet the MRA criteria for “too powerful”.

Some sort of username
Some sort of username

B-but women are still in control because men would do anything for them! Except they’re too stupid to be able to rule the world secretly! Except they ARE!

#menism

Kyrie
Kyrie

This article title sound like a clickbait article. Up next: Which PUA are You? – This Cat Attacking A MRA Will Warm Your Heart – The 10 Worst Things Thay Happened to Feminists On Internet

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

There was an episode of Sliders, in which our sliders slid into a world in which some kind of disaster (I want to say a biological weapon but don’t hold me to that) killed virtually everyone with a Y-chromosome. A very tiny number survived, and these men (all the ones presented to us are cis-men) live in a world where they are in high demand for their reproductive services but far too valuable to be allowed to roam around loose. So they are confined to facilities where they are otherwise treated very well, but they aren’t allowed to leave.

There is also no artificial insemination or other reproductive science in this world, either because the female scientists are too stupid to think of it, because: ladybrain, or because there are no female scientists at all, because: same. So these men have to have sex a dozen or more times a day with different women. Our sliders are, IIRC, three men and one woman, so the men are immediately apprehended and sent to one of these facilities, and the plot is about trying to reunite so they can slide into the next world.

Aside from the inherent wtfery in there being no scientists left who could think of artificial insemination, it was an interesting look into what a society run and populated entirely by women might look like.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

This is an interesting argument, in that it goes way way way back. This was the argument made by the British Parliament when the American colonies started to demand representation: that Parliament was full of perfectly intelligent men who were fully capable of thinking about, and representing, the interests of the American settlers despite not having ever visited America, so the Americans didn’t need direct representation. The concept is called “virtual representation” or “trustee representation.”

The Americans didn’t buy that, and we had a war to sort it out.

At one point, Abigail Adams wrote to her husband, John Adams, to remind him that women deserved representation, too. John Adams wrote back with the reply that the men would certainly keep them in mind and represent their interests, so they didn’t need direct representation. He did this with, to all accounts, a perfectly straight face.

Button
Button

Because: author appeal.

mockingbird
mockingbird

PoM – What about the one that’s dominated by women and…er, John Rhys-Davies attempts to throw an election (can’t remebering how he got wrangled into being a candidate) by crying at the podium (the thought being that he’d appear weak and unelectable).
Instead, he wins by a landslide (or maybe just polls in a landslide – the 90s were a long time ago).

You also had male secretaries who said that they couldn’t be trusted to make big, I portal decisions because men’s hormonal cycles were all over the place – women’s were predictable and stable.

Er…

*sidles off*

mockingbird
mockingbird

Remeber*, not remebering.

In the episode you mentioned, didn’t the characters say something to the effect of, “Yeah, they don’t have artificial insemination technology for some reason…”
“What if we introduced it to them?”
“We can’t interfere!”

And Australia was a superpower because the virus that killed men didn’t impact them as badly.

THIS is the stuff that my brain holds on to.

I didn’t even particularly like Sliders.

mockingbird
mockingbird

Uegh.

Remember*, not remembering.

My phone autocorrects the correct spelling to “remembering” but sees spelling that leaves out an M or two and is like, “Seems legit.”

darkstatistic

Sadly, I think the response will be a mix of, “See? Women don’t want/can’t handle having authority!” and “See? Like we even NEED them to have jobs outside the home!”

Women make no difference because they’re not in a position to make a difference because they don’t make a difference. It’s very tidy.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@mockingbird

I don’t recall the other one you’re talking about. I wasn’t super-into the show so I only caught eps here and there. It sounds lolriffic.

IIRC there was no non-interference principle. The professor guy said at one point that if they were interested in him for his brain instead of his balls he could teach them tons of stuffs! I don’t recall any mention of him not doing so because of the Prime Directive, but because the women didn’t want to listen to him (ladies, amirite???)

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

The video description says Get Your Way by Zilla, but all I find on YouTube is The Jamie song.

Anyone got a link to the song?

weirwoodtreehugger

But, apex fallacy!!! Whine the MRAs.

sn0rkmaiden

I was going to say something about women controlling all the men with their vaginas, but I already got ninjad about twenty times on that.

But but but they didn’t have any pictures of GROCERY STORES, did they? Those pictures would be FULL of women!

brian

re: the music
finally did a modicum of searching. found this:
her first album isn’t out yet.

spacelawn

Considering MRA’s they’ll just dismiss it as feminist lies.

Also, that “song” in the background was fucking trash. Here i thought that kind of noise wasn’t possible to make.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@PoM – I think that I saw as many as I did because it aired (for me) in the middle of a weekend day and we didn’t have cable.

Still, the only three I recall at all are the two we discussed and one in which everyone was on medication.

I’m sure your recollection’s the right one.

dhag85

The MRA response is basically this:

1. Women don’t want to work hard. They choose easier professions than the ones shown in the video.

2. The video contains only easy and high paying professions (contradicting counterargument 1, but whatever) – why not look into male oriented jobs that are dangerous difficult instead. For example construction workers! And, uh.. coal miners! …. and many more!!

3. There’s democracy. Therefore there’s no such thing as discrimination or socialization. Check mate, feminists!

4. BIAS!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

WTF is this supposed to mean?

brian

spacelawn:
oh, thanks for clearing that up for me! i thought i enjoyed it, but I guess i was wrong…

loquora

@Kyrie

I will never understand people who do this. Because clearly you’re showing how much you hate articles that you feel are just meant to generate clicks… by clicking on them. And you left a comment! That will certainly teach David not to post more “clickbait”. You’d better click on a couple of ads too, just to make sure he really gets the message.

dhag85

@brian

I could’ve sworn I quite liked it too. :p

weirwoodtreehugger

POM,
I don’t know, but it’s certainly MRA nonsense since they used that old argument that it’s all women’s fault if there are more male elected officials because women vote for male candidates. Never mind that to get the name recognition and funding it takes to get the nomination for a major political party you have to already be connected and powerful. Never mind that female politicians are subjected to sexist scrutiny that makes running and winning seem impossible. We just must not be trying hard enough.

brooked
brooked

@loquora

I think Kyrie was just making a joke about the phrasing of the article’s title and it was a pretty solid joke. Plus, I have to say I’d be baited to click on “This Cat Attacking A MRA Will Warm Your Heart”. It sounds adorbs.

brooked
brooked

@loquora

I love your communist frog btw.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

I like the song too. If you don’t like a song then cool but don’t call it trash unless the song is about murdering people or something like that.

I don’t understand MRAs and other people like them how could you constantly brag about men being superior then turn around and say men can’t control their urges and it doesn’t take much for women to rule everything, they just use their butts and boobs? So if men are doing everything to impress women, doesn’t that mean we are superior?

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

I too liked the song.

Go ahead, complain about clickbait. I’ve noticed that when people do that the posts end up being very popular…

Jo
Jo

My reaction was the same as Kyrie’s to the title. I’m not short circuiting my keyboard with tears or anything, but that buzzfeedy style of clickbait headline does jar a bit.

I read every entry here, it wasn’t the headline that brought me in. In fact, I actively avoid anything written in that format normally.

dhag85

What David’s done is really just that he posted a video and accurately described it in the headline. If that’s “clickbait” then I suggest the word has no meaning.

anon
anon

anon
anon

That was depressing.

freemage

I read the ‘clickbait’ comment the same way as broked’s–I just thought it was pointing to the wording, especially the “This [photo/image/story] does [amazing thing].” Hell, the site used to be littered with ads that used the exact same format, often to stories/photogalleries that were pretty damned offensive. The key difference is that it can’t be ‘clickbait’ if it’s not being used to lure people to the site–the only folks clicking that headline are the ones who planned to come here, or who have signed up for the mailing list. I can’t remember any time I saw a Buzzfeed-style ad for We Hunted the Mammoth, or even Manboobz.

zyrusticae
zyrusticae

“I haven’t clicked on the video because I’m bracing for incredibly sexist comments.”

“That was depressing.”

Yeah… I don’t know what I expected. Then again, just the sheer number of dislikes on the video would have told you all you needed to know. :/

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

May as well stick this here.

A school falling short of teaching boys not to rape. The failure being leaving out the ‘not’.
comment image

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Er, obviously didn’t mean the tractor, cool as it is. Here’s the real story

Scribbles
Scribbles

I didn’t know Batman got into farming.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@Scribbles
Of course he did. That adds to the mystery.

Robert
Robert

PoM, your reference to that episode of “Sliders” reminded me of the movie version of “A Boy and His Dog”. When the protagonist* is in the underground dystopia and is told that he will be providing viable sperm for the city’s women, he immediately imagines that he will be having intercourse with them. Next scene, a young couple are being married, and nearby protagonist is strapped to a chair with a milking machine fastened to his crotch. I think that part of the movie might be part of Harlan Ellison’s original story.

Continuing the science fiction theme, the idea of women – excuse me, Women – worldwide as a hidden authority shaping all of civilization through their wicked, wicked wiles made me think of John Norman’s Priest-Kings of Gor. The idea of women neither desiring nor enjoying sex is one of those beliefs that must be protected from objective reality, lest it suffer spontaneous existence failure. Even I know that women experience sexual desire, and I have no personal experience of it.

Scribbles
Scribbles

A Boy and His Dog was such a good movie. It’s like what would happen if anarcho-capitalism ever gained traction somehow: We would all die, horribly, and nothing would be left but a dustbowl made out of turds and leftover psychic talking animals from wacky military experiments.

Falconer

Er, obviously didn’t mean the tractor, cool as it is. Here’s the real story

1) Well now we know what’s in your internet history.

2) “School teachers promoted Islamic indoctrination” is a headline that the rightwingers over here would mess their pants over. They yell about it endlessly but nothing’s ever come of it. How credible are the “Trojan horse” claims over there in Birmingham? Because with all that I’ve said in the last few sentences, I am very well primed to be extremely skeptical.