antifeminism citation needed dude you've got no fucking idea what you're talking about men created civilization men invented everything men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA pig ignorance post contains sarcasm reactionary bullshit that's completely wrong we hunted the mammoth

MRA History Korner: Women never worked outside the home because there was no air conditioning

Women totally not working in a cigarette factory
Women totally not working in a cigarette factory

A blast from the past!

Look who I found in the comments over on Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield’s site! None other than the 2011 Man Boobz Troll of the Year NWOslave, offering up his unique (and in this case highly air-conditioner-centric) perspective on women’s history.

NWOslave • 2 days ago Women were never oppressed in the history of the world. Women didn't go to colleges in centuries past because it wasn't pleasant. There was no central air or heating so it was frigid in the winter and stiflingly hot in the summer, no cars so you had to walk or ride a horse if you were lucky enough to own a horse. Women weren't doctors in the past because that was hard and dangerous as well, no sterile hospitals, fully air conditioned. Some kid would go to the doctor of the area in the middle of a rainy night and say come quick ma is real sick, and sometimes ma would have a communicable disease and doc would die as well. Even secretarial work, no central air or heat, cafeterias, indoor plumbing, none of that stuff was available to the average person up until less than a century ago. It wasn't until enough men died inventing and building these incredibly comfortable wonders that women demanded a chair at the big table. Women as a collective should be praising men as a collective for being so damned nice as to allow them the luxury of staying at home while men worked themselves into an early grave millennia after millennia.

Brings back memories, huh?

Oh, and here are some photos I found of women in the pre-air-conditioner era sitting around at home eating bon bons while their husbands were at work. Bunch of lazy broads, if you ask me!

wm1

wm2

wm3

wm4

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sn0rkmaiden

Ha, they are daft. Everyone knows The Flintstones is only a reference about stuff from PRE-history.

Viscaria
Viscaria

My office is air-conditioned, but my home is not, so I guess that’s why I’m working right now and my boyfriend isn’t. I’m forcing him to sit in our terrible home and invent new bon bon machines as I spend my days flapping my arms around in my cubicle and accusing male colleagues of sexual harassment.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

It’s ok for individual women to talk about their personal experiences and include female inventers, etc I just think not only we should bring up women and girls who worked very hard in very harsh conditions against NWOslave but because one he’s a male supremist so whatever we say isn’t going to change him and two he and others could just look them up themselves and stop being lazy and ignorant.

it just reminds me of the times the MRAs would bring up male workers, etc in their memes to be used against women and feminists that they should check their “female privileges”.

I don’t know I’m also speaking to myself too. If any of this makes sense.

Alan Robertshaw :

There is some assistance for those that need it here, too, both summer and winter. It’s not much, either.

My husband and I are both from the northeast US, and I much prefer heat. But some do think that 65 inside is just great, like Katz said, and I hate that. Grocery stores are the worst, I almost need a winter coat in there all year.

The book: remember the part about dogs? I LOVED that. It makes so much sense, that dogs react to our intuitions. I still think that my dogs may actually be smarter than me, in some instances. 🙂

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

*I just think not only we shouldn’t

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

We average around 100 degrees for a few months out of the year. I’m in one of the places that the heat can actually kill you if you can’t access A/C at some times of the year.

Ditto for here in northern Australia. I finally caved and threw my savings at an air con after it broke 48 C/118 F in my bedroom a couple years back. =P

(It was “Only” 42 C/107 F outside, but my room faces the sun.)

freemage

I’ll admit, I’m one of those folks being catered to by chilled interiors; I usually start getting uncomfortable around mid-seventies, especially if it’s humid out.

This is another factor in the U.S., Alan–the sheer size of the landmass means we’ve got a more diverse climate than the whole of Europe, pretty much. We get about as cold as your worst, but our hot–both dry and muggy–tends to be considerably worse.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Raysa

There’s a quote I like.

“I don’t trust a man who doesn’t like my dog but I trust my dog when she doesn’t like a man”

freemage

Oh, and my first thought, before I got distracted by that conversation:

Dear troll wannabes. You drive-by posters, you C&P wankers, you Roosh fanboys and Elam apologists. Look, look at the glory of that post up above, and comprehend that you dwell in the shadow of giants. The trolls of yesteryear were titans compared to you, and your piddling efforts. We get more meat off a single NWOslave post on another site than we do from a dozen threads of you sorry, pathetic pretenders to the throne. Look, look upon him, and know despair.

weirwoodtreehugger

Lucky us, in Minnesota we get dangerous heat and dangerous cold! Fortunately, there’s a law against turning off the electricity if someone can’t pay the bill during the cold months so people don’t freeze to death.

littleknown
littleknown

On A/C being an American thing: I seem to remember a Glenn Beck “screaming-until-red-in-the-face” rant from a while back that went something along the lines of: “If I want my office to be 62 degrees, then I’m going to run my A/C at 62 degrees, because I’m an American goddamnit, and freedom!”

There was a time when not being wasteful, and making prudent, forward-thinking choices, in order to safeguard a better tomorrow, were Republican values. Not anymore.

Amy
Amy

Yeah, fields and gardens are totally air conditioned and heated. So were early homes and pioneer sod homes and shacks.

What world do these MRAs live in, anyhow? The only way their posts make any sense is if they come from a universe where all this bewildering garbage is true.

SFHC:

Sheesh, 118! We have a few days when we can get a little over 100, and, lots of people here live in metal mobile homes, so I well understand how it can be much hotter inside.

Alan Robertshaw :

I still have a lot of the book to go, but I love that he encourages people, especially women, to listen to our gut instinct. So much of how we react to things, especially things that can be dangerous to us, is not that we think our intuitions are incorrect, but that we must not offend men when our instincts are telling us that they are creepy, dangerous, etc. He throws all of that socialization out the window, and gives good reason for doing it.

How on earth did some men get so delicate? My husband is the nicest, kindest guy I know, but if a woman didn’t want to interact with him for some reason, his feelings wouldn’t be hurt, and he certainly wouldn’t become enraged.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Raysa

My summary of all that is

“Don’t die of politeness”

WWTH:

The power company here can and will shut off power to those that can’t/don’t pay. The only exception is if you can pay to go to a doctor and get a note saying that your health is too frail for intense heat/cold.

So, people die here every year, as a result.

Spindrift

Isn’t there an issue with office spaces being airconditioned to temperatures that women often feel are too cold, cause men find those temperatures comfortable? How does airconditioning help women work if it’s making them uncomfortable to prioritise men’s comfort?

But he isn’t here. He was banned years ago. We’re not trying to convince him of anything; we’re posting pictures out of an interest in the topic, and for the edification of everyone else present.

It would be scoring cheap points if we were saying “here are some women working, so shut up about male workplace fatalities” or something like that, but we’re not bringing them up to silence an argument about something else, we’re bringing them up because we’re talking about the history of women in the workplace.

(Not trying to rag on you, I’m just trying to understand what’s the problem here.)

peaches
peaches

I have an aunt (sadly deceased now) who worked at Sloss Furnace, which was notorious for it’s blazing heat and poor working conditions.She held one of the few jobs for women, which was to stand over the molten steel and scrape the black stuff off the top with rakes. Sloss was a terrible place to work, with large numbers of workplace fatalities. There’s a reason people believe that it’s haunted.

My aunt was tough as nails and suffered no fools. She was also very well dressed and put together, and it was some years before my child self could reconcile that image of her with working in a blazing furnace.

NWOslave has no idea what he is talking about.

ShakeB
ShakeB

Obviously there are a lot of other issues with the post but the historical illiteracy is gross, his education has failed him badly. Just to use a less common example, almost 2000 years ago a woman led the revolt that almost drove the Romans out of Britain. Not the declining late Empire Romans either, early empire within a generation of their peak power Romans.

steampunked (@steampunked)

We have NO RECORD of ancient women ever working!

NONE I TELL YOU.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Oh, I love Boudicca.

You know Mauseleous has the Mausoleum, Hadrian has his wall and Offa has his dyke; but is there anything cooler in archeology than your legacy being the “Boudiccan Destruction Layer”?

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Alan – There’s a reason the American south has experienced a great in-migration since the use of A/C became widespread.

I lived in southern Alabama for a bit…
…”air you can wear” (high heat, very high humidity) from April/May – October/November.
But, still, you do acclimate some. I remebering going to get a jacket when it fell down to 72 on Christmas evening.

Even here (Virginia), July and August often have more 90+ degree days than not. My youngest was born on a day when we hit 107. I joked that she made me go into labor just to get some of that sweet, sweet hospital air conditioning.

But then we dropped down to -5 to -15 some nights over the past few winters, so…the state’s trying to kill us off, I think.

When evaluating NWO’s grasp of history, remember that he also thinks Russian and Spanish use the same alphabet.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m from Yorkshire and the definition of absolute zero here is that women will consider putting on tights.

mockingbird
mockingbird

That being said, I do think that Americans overuse A/C.

@raysa – My husband lived in central Florida for some time. He jokes, “Move to Florida if you like being really cold when inside amd hiding scuttling from shade patch to shade patch when outside.”

mockingbird
mockingbird

Ugh – “scuttling from shade patch to shade patch”.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Alan – When I watched the episode of The Great British Bake Off that culminated in what’s-his-face throwing out his ice cream cake, after I looked up how how hot it was (“Centigrade? Whut’s that? ‘Murica!”) I got a chuckle that 77 F was considered to be unreasonably hot.

That’s legit lovely here, especially if the humidity’s on leave.

Mockingbird :

We have had a few of those single digit nights in the winter. The winters are supposed to be mild, I feel cheated when it gets down to 20 degrees at night, even a few times, lol.

I have seen the baking show you mentioned. I don’t ever watch anything regularly, so I missed the 77 degrees being too hot. That’s hilarious!

And, Florida. Ick, not a fan of Florida.

Nequam
Nequam

Just another irredeemable shitpile, I see.

On the flip side, that dad and son who are going to dress as Anna and Elsa for Halloween are pretty sweet.

Nequam
Nequam

To clarify– that first sentence refers to NWOSlave.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Did NWO end up getting banned or did he just wander off in search of people who agree with him? Maybe people like this:

KathleenB
KathleenB

Of course it didn’t work. It’s just a short clip from Blazing Saddles.

Bina
Bina

NWOstoopid should bear in mind that it was women who invented agriculture and beer. They also cooked, cleaned, built their own damn fires, fanned themselves (with fans they made themselves!), and gave birth to the ne-‘er-do-wells from which he arose. And often died in the process. Of childbed fever. Spread by oh-so-macho male doctors usurping the role of midwife, who couldn’t even be arsed to wash their fucking hands.

Kat
Kat

@spindrift

Absolutely! I had two jobs where–in the middle of summer!–I wore a wool blazer to try to stay warm. My hands were freezing as I filed, filed, filed (lots of standing) and typed. I was freezing and bored out of my skull.

Of course, the real victim in all this is Paul Elam.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Oh Owly, how I do not miss you!

As for weather and A/C — everywhere I’ve worked, pretty much, had one. I do not, though I think that’s getting purchased before next summer cuz fuck is it a nightmare keeping my axolotl below 70 when it’s pushing 100 out! New England, where summers are 90+ and humid, and winter might snow you in for 5 days!

megpie71

I refer the learned gentleman to any description of washday prior to the invention of the mechanical washing machine. At least two women, often more, crammed into a tiny, humid space, with a large pot of boiling soapy water and an open fire, and all the linen in the household. Chemicals for stain removal included vinegar, soap, lye and urine. Water was largely pumped by hand, and carried by bucket, heated over an open flame, and clothing was boiled up with soap in order to get it clean. Rinse water was pumped and carried by hand as well, and in order for things to dry they needed to be wrung out, usually by hand (the invention of the mangle was a mixed blessing – it made it easier to wring things out, but they caused a lot of injuries, too) and then dried either in front of an open fire, or on a clothes line.

There’s a reason I strongly believe the washing machine is the most positively feminist piece of household mechanisation known to humanity.

Kat
Kat

@raysa

I am in south carolina, and we routinely have several people, usually seniors, die in July and August because they don’t have A/C.

Speaking of weather in South Carolina, I hope that you are safe and dry and stay that way.

bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

“Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain’t I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man – when I could get it – and bear the lash as well! And ain’t I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother’s grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain’t I a woman?”

Sojourner Truth said this in 1851, when no women at all worked because no airconditioning in the cotton fields…

Newt
Newt

@Alan:

I’ve never worked in an air conditioned building. Is it an American thing?

I work in a mid-sized company in the UK, in a new (post 2000) office building. There’s AC that I only notice by its absence: when leaving the building on a warm summer evening, or when I have to come in at the weekends when it’s turned off. But there are enough employees who don’t ‘get’ AC that a few will open the windows anyway.

I’m also from Yorkshire (technically Humberside) originally, now living further south, but I’m not convinced the regional variance is that much.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

If I recall correctly, nwoslave abruptly disappeared after Obama was re-elected in 2012. I think it broke him.

Those were the days. When trolls were entertaining and creative. Nwoslave is the originator of the idea that women cry in the street for money, I believe.

Sissy
Sissy

Sounds VERY familiar.

*hears the words “we hunted the mammoth to feed you” and “we died in burning buildings and were gassed in the trenches”*

Yep! I know those words didn’t come from that dude, but still. Oh, how it rings so identical.

I can’t be angry at this. The “WE WANT TO PIGGYBACK OFF OF THINGS OUR ANCESTORS DID!” stuff is just so… so comical.

Kat
Kat

@Sissy

But as David’s other article today shows, a little boy had better not wear a T-shirt that says “Surf,” unless he’s an actual surfer. Otherwise, his kindly grandpa will curse a blue streak at him.

Falconer

@deniseeliza:

I do believe you are correct on both counts.

He just up and never came back.

lacerta viridis
lacerta viridis

@megpie How could you, brave men probably DIED inventing the washing machine for those selfish, selfish women! I hear inventing is a very dangerous profession.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Katz

Sorry for my late reply and sorry I’m really bad at explaining I was wondering if it was bad to share pics of women who have worked and who are working now in harsh conditions to use against NWOslave like how MRAs and other anti feminists use male workers, etc as counter arguments against women and feminists but I see its really not the same because the pics of women are shared to show how yes women did and still are working in harsh conditions see how awesome they are? And MRAs and antifeminists use men to shut up women and antifeminists about their problems but actually don’t do anything to help those men.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

*shut up women and feminists

Kat
Kat

Kat:

My husband and I are good, thanks for asking.

It started raining last Monday night, and the downpour did not stop for a full 7 days. About 10% of the time, we had drizzle. The other 90% was full on, open sky down pour. I have never seen anything like it.

We are in the upstate, though, where the only issue we had was losing power, which only happened to a few people. The low country is getting the run off, though, those guys are suffering. They still have water pouring in, and some of the dams are expected to break. Every day, I am expecting to hear that it’s Katrina down there.

Kat:

That salon article is a good read.

Did you see some of the comments? Ugh.