antifeminism citation needed dude you've got no fucking idea what you're talking about men created civilization men invented everything men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA pig ignorance post contains sarcasm reactionary bullshit that's completely wrong we hunted the mammoth

MRA History Korner: Women never worked outside the home because there was no air conditioning

Women totally not working in a cigarette factory
Women totally not working in a cigarette factory

A blast from the past!

Look who I found in the comments over on Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield’s site! None other than the 2011 Man Boobz Troll of the Year NWOslave, offering up his unique (and in this case highly air-conditioner-centric) perspective on women’s history.

NWOslave • 2 days ago Women were never oppressed in the history of the world. Women didn't go to colleges in centuries past because it wasn't pleasant. There was no central air or heating so it was frigid in the winter and stiflingly hot in the summer, no cars so you had to walk or ride a horse if you were lucky enough to own a horse. Women weren't doctors in the past because that was hard and dangerous as well, no sterile hospitals, fully air conditioned. Some kid would go to the doctor of the area in the middle of a rainy night and say come quick ma is real sick, and sometimes ma would have a communicable disease and doc would die as well. Even secretarial work, no central air or heat, cafeterias, indoor plumbing, none of that stuff was available to the average person up until less than a century ago. It wasn't until enough men died inventing and building these incredibly comfortable wonders that women demanded a chair at the big table. Women as a collective should be praising men as a collective for being so damned nice as to allow them the luxury of staying at home while men worked themselves into an early grave millennia after millennia.

Brings back memories, huh?

Oh, and here are some photos I found of women in the pre-air-conditioner era sitting around at home eating bon bons while their husbands were at work. Bunch of lazy broads, if you ask me!

wm1

wm2

wm3

wm4

R Cawkwell

Caroline Thompson (@MitchTheRobot)

And as per usual, we’re only considering eras as far back as the patriarchy goes and NO FURTHER. Because societies totally weren’t egalitarian before then, with women doing just as much work as men, right?

Sunny Burn

Women have been midwives (aka doctors) since time immortal soooooooo yeah.

Also like… I don’t get it. People’s homes weren’t air conditioned back then either? So why does he think women would let that keep them from working or going to university or whatever?

Aww, I miss him.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It’s no laughing matter. Thousands of men died while inventing air conditioning, secretarial work, and cafeterias.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Nice to see what NWO has been up to! Haha, just kidding, don’t care at all.

ignorantianescia
ignorantianescia

Ah, but of course the MRAs would suck at the humanities, being super STEM He-Men… and that’s why they fall for every dumb evo psych crank ruse. Or something.

Oh well, they still suck the worst at the humanities regardless.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

I don’t get Mras they complain we don’t work but then they complain when we do because we’re entering their spaces. They don’t know what they want they just want to find any reason to excuse their hate for women.

Air conditioning wasn’t in homes either so um yeah don’t know what else to say to the delusional arse.

And women suffered and died giving birth and gave up their careers and time to raise us so shut up Nwoslave.

R Cawkwell
“MRAs need to read an actual history book once in a while. Instead of pulling nonsense out of their arses.”

Reading History books are misandry because they were written by men who were hypnotized by the power of boobs and butts, don’t you know women are in control of everything? But somehow men are the superior ones? Don’t question this ‘Man Logic’. /s

lacerta viridis
lacerta viridis

ah yes

those comfortable, air-conditioned fields that women all over the world totally don’t work in

that has never been a thing that happened ever

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

DAE think we should start saying “shut up NWOslave” like we been saying “Shut up Woody”?

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

He can’t possibly be serious! I mean, if I were to parody stupid MRAs or troll JB’s comment section, I might write something similar.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

It’s hard to say anything when you’re laughing this hard, Fruitloopsie. 🙂

R Cawkwell
Reply to  Fruitloopsie

Oh, I see, historians under the influence boob hypnotism. I thought it was because they (MRAs) were illiterate prats.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

I’m the first person in my family to ever go to a four year college. For centuries, we were farmers, then factory workers, then service industry workers — the men AND the women. We had no SAHM in my family. Everyone was poor, and everyone worked. I’m the first one to have barely crawled out of the working class and into the middle class. People outright ignore class issues when they say crap like this. So glad he doesn’t post here anymore.

Scribbles
Scribbles

Does this idiot not realize that, at least in the West, women dominated healthcare before healthcare practitioners were burned to death? The industry, after that, was largely taken over by male academics.

Obviously not because this person pulls shit out of his ass and claims it’s history I guess.

I’m so tired of people who haven’t done the reading trying to critique anything. If you don’t know the first thing about a subject you can’t fucking critique it. Idiots make my head hurt.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Obviously the vast history of women working outdoors doesn’t count, because there was a breeze! Nature’s AC! Such easy work, that.

What I’m curious about is the apparent enormous death toll associated with central heating. Invention must be the most dangerous profession by far.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

And let’s not also ignore the fact that for centuries, many women in this country were literally slaves who absolutely were “working outside of the home.”

Jason Neuman

So his theory is that women never left the home in the past because these places weren’t air conditioned? Does that mean that he think their homes WERE air conditioned?

chaltab
chaltab

I’m pretty sure you’re putting way more thought into this than NWOslave ever did.

And here are some women towing barges up and down the comfortable, air-conditioned banks of the Volga. They appear to be barefoot.
comment image

spacelawn

So like most things these people say, it doesn’t make much sense, but i find this to be more so than usual.

If the crap NWOslave just said was true, that would mean women knew about air conditioning and whatnot before it even was invented and waited until it became a reality so they could plot their evil schemes.

Wut

spacelawn

@katz

Something about the DoF in that picture fucks with my eyes.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

I don’t think we should post any more pictures of women working because I feel like using them just to score points.

Moocow
Moocow

Out of curiosity, what are some of this troll’s, erm, “highlights” in the past?

raysa
raysa

I guess the triangle factory was air conditioned?

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

*we’re

lacerta viridis
lacerta viridis

@Fruitloospie I felt a bit concerned about that posting them too, but I also think it’s kind of important to point out that there are lots of women who work RIGHT NOW, not just in history, in places that really do not have heating and air conditioning and cafeterias, ffs – since this dude appears to have forgotten the existence of most of the rest of the world. Idk, though, I get what you mean :/

weirwoodtreehugger

Be right back. Going to look up the list of people who died building air conditioners on Wikipedia. The noble martyrs to my easy life of sitting around my office eating bonbons, spending child support money on shoes and totally not working must be remembered!

brooked
brooked

My dearly departed grandmother built herself a house that was heated solely by an iron stove. I was pretty impressed by this, but it turns out the idea didn’t originate in the 1960s and, in fact, people have heated their shelters with some form of indoor hearth since for-fucking-ever. Just a little fun fact for Reddit historians.

Not sure what you mean by this? It’s a part of history.

Paradoxical Intention

Whelp, this should be a textbook definition of Historically Inaccurate.

Time to break it down:

Women didn’t go to colleges in centuries past because it wasn’t pleasant.

Most likely because it was made impossible by men, and women who did break the social norms of not going to school were ostracized by society, their families, and punished for it (mostly by men).

There was no central air or heating so it was frigid in the winter and stiflingly hot in the summer […]

Does he think that women didn’t work before 1902, when the air conditioner was invented?

Or that women didn’t work until it became a common thing in buildings? Because even in 1902, the air conditioner was only used to make sure paper didn’t wrinkle and ink for printing stayed aligned. It sure as fuck wasn’t for human comfort.

In fact, we didn’t see air conditioners in homes until 1914, and were only available for rich people, and we didn’t see those little window ledge ones until 1931, and those cost roughly between 10-50 thousand dollars, or 120-600 thousand dollars in today’s money.

So, no one really had air conditioning before then, so I don’t see why women wouldn’t work unless there was one. I mean, I’m sure they would have been used to it and just went anyways.

[…] no cars so you had to walk or ride a horse if you were lucky enough to own a horse

Yeah, so men and women had to walk. What, do you think women didn’t have legs or didn’t know how to walk until cars were invented either?

Women weren’t doctors in the past because that was hard and dangerous as well, no sterile hospitals, fully air conditioned.

Of course, I could step back and remind you that women were actively discouraged from attending college, but, as so many other people here have so wonderfully pointed out, nurses, midwives, and medicine women were things.

Of course, some herbalists were burned at the stake for witchcraft, but nope, not dangerous at all, amirite?

And so would nurses, and so would her family. Disease was dangerous for everyone, not just the doctors, not just the menfolk.

Seriously, stop getting all your historical information from old western shows like Bonanza or Gunsmoke.

And yet, women still worked. Shocking, I know.

Though, I’d imagine if you had to work in the same conditions as those women a century or so ago, you’d sue your employer.

It wasn’t until enough men died inventing and building these incredibly comfortable wonders that women demanded a chair at the big table.

“Okay, you’ve made working a lot easier, now give us jobs!”

Nah, not how it worked.

No, NWOSlave, you can’t claim you invented the air conditioner because peen. If you could, I could claim that you should be “praising women as a collective” because Ada Lovelace helped give you the internet, and she was a woman, and I could claim that you should be praising me for wi-fi because of Hedy Lamar. She was a woman, and I’m a woman, so praise me for the luxury of internet usage!

And no, you don’t get a cookie for “allowing” women to stay at home, because you and your ilk think we ought to because “that’s a woman’s place”. So fuck you.

Also, the only people who have the fucking luxury of staying at home are upper class people. Most of us still have to work, and gladly do so.

weirwoodtreehugger

If anybody needs a reason to not hate humanity right now, this story is really great.

James Haynes

“I find it strange that practicing law in a comfortable well-heated office is considered too demanding an occupation for women, yet laboring from dawn’s first light in crowded, drafty, ill-lit sweatshops is not.”
― Shirley Tallman, Murder on Nob Hill

brooked
brooked

No cars so you had to walk or ride if you were lucky enough to own a horse.

Before every single person had access to a car they can use to get anywhere they want, people had to walk if they didn’t have a horse and therefore no female university students.

Unless, of course, they sent Lassie instead.

weirwoodtreehugger

Even if it were true that only men ever used to work in medicine, does he think all sick people went to hospitals to either convalesce or die? No. During large epidemics particularly, people were sick at home and maybe if you were lucky a doctor would visit. Who took care of sick family members the rest of the time? Traditionally, female family members. Which means they came into the most contact with the germs.

weirwoodtreehugger

Meanwhile, during the black death, male priests were abandoning their posts in droves, refusing to give last rites to people dying from the plague.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’ve never worked in an air conditioned building. Is it an American thing?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Lassie’s rubbish

“Hmm, elevated T cell count, heart arrhythmia, dilated pupils. Yup, I diagnose that you’ve fallen down a well”

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I sometime wonder if they thrive to create the ignorance equivalent of a black hole.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Nah, there’s the possibility you can get information out of a black hole.

Nerd mode: off

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

Um… my job isn’t air conditioned NOW. This is an especially stupid MRA.

lacerta viridis
lacerta viridis

@Ktoryx Yeah, my college and every place I’ve ever worked at also had no AC. Maybe I just imagined them all and have really been eating bonbons and painting my toenails the entire time?

brooked
brooked

@Alan

I’ve never worked in an air conditioned building. Is it an American thing?

Yup. For some reason TPTB have decided every indoor space in the US has to be air conditioned to the point where it feels like you walked into a meat locker. I like having an AC but my personal definition of room temperature doesn’t lean towards freezing, even in the summer.

AnAndrejaPejicBlog (@A_Pejic_Blog)

Here’s an interesting article–Working Women in the Middle Ages:

sn0rkmaiden

Yet another idiot who learned their history from watching The Flintstones and Little House on the Prairie.

raysa
raysa

Alan Robertshaw :

I am in south carolina, and we routinely have several people, usually seniors, die in July and August because they don’t have A/C.

We average around 100 degrees for a few months out of the year. I’m in one of the places that the heat can actually kill you if you can’t access A/C at some times of the year.

As a side note, I wanted to tell you that I have been reading the gift of fear because I saw you mention it several times. I’m about half way through. It is excellent.

Especially when it’s 98 degrees outside so you’re wearing a tank top and shorts and they decide it should be 65 inside.

R Cawkwell
Reply to  R Cawkwell

Drat it, that is meant to say ‘under the influence of boob hypnotism’.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ raysa

Wow, that is hot. Over here it’s cold that’s associated with killing of old folks; hence the name winter fuel allowance is so important to us (not that it’s particularly generous)

Oh, and that is a brilliant book. Be interested in your thoughts when you finish it.

1 2 3