antifeminism antifeminist women judgybitch misogyny MRA

JudgyBitch: Women make babies, and men make Large Hadron Colliders

Legos for girls: Not a new idea (from a lego ad in the 1980s)
Legos for girls: Not a new idea (from a lego ad in the 1980s)

So our old friend Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield has written a rather silly post on how men are a bunch of STEM geniuses while women are basically designed to make babies. (On average.)

You’ve heard all this nonsense before, I am sure:

Human achievement depends on the tenacity and ingenuity of men, and their willingness to shoot for the moon (or a comet). Our mastery of the human condition, an end to suffering and poverty and disease and destitution requires technology. Water doesn’t magically clean itself, food doesn’t spring forth from the Earth without coaxing (at least not in sufficient amounts to feed all of us), the oceans do not replenish, diseases do not cure themselves and our ability to communicate and connect with each other, from one side of the planet to the other, all depends on technology.

Technology is designed, built, installed, maintained, repaired and operated almost exclusively by men. Without men, we would be living in grass huts, eating mud.

I’ll give her credit for at least suggesting a slightly novel “solution” to women (allegedly) being a bunch of stupid-heads compared to men. And by “novel” I mean “novel” only to MRAs.

Here is what I propose: we socialize girls to be more like men, and more like exceptionally intelligent men, in particular.

As she sees it, that means (among other things) making girls play with legos instead of Barbies (or any other traditionally girly toys), forcing them all to play Dungeons & Dragons (no, really), and requiring that they

study logic and rhetoric and traditional game theory, to sharpen their ability to work through a problem using reason and the empirical method.

Huh. I’m thinking that most of the dudes in the Men’s Rights movement must have slept through that part of their male socialization.

JB’s proposals are weirdly totalitarian, envisioning a mandatory one-size-fits-all approach to education for girls. And the misogyny underlying her glorification of “male” ways of thinking is fairly obvious. Her attempts to challenge traditionally gendered ways of raising girls fall more than a few steps short of feminism.

Sure, feminists have long fought against the pervasive gendering of toys. But they’re also into, you know, kids making choices for themselves. Encouraging girls to play with legos? Great! Forcing all girls to play exclusively with Legos, because you want them to become STEM geniuses? Not so great. Some girls want to play with legos; others prefer dolls. As do some boys.

For what it’s worth, JB describes her proposal as, yes, a “modest proposal,” so it’s not clear if she actually thinks that raising girls the same way as boys is a good idea, or if it’s one akin to eating babies.

Speaking of babies, here’s my favorite line in her post:

[T]he ultimate expression of femininity is a baby, and the ultimate expression of masculinity is the Large Hadron Collider.

Assuming this is true — and Janet Boomfield said it, so it must be! — just imagine what humans could accomplish if men and women worked together.

Yes, I’m talking about the ultimate in technology: the Large Baby Collider.

Oh, wait, we already have one of those; it’s called the Men’s Rights Movement.

But that’s a pretty primitive model. Here’s a prototype for an improved Large Baby Collider. It’s still a long way away from perfect — you may notice that half of the babies have been replaced by dogs — but it’s still a wobbly step in the right direction.

H/T — @TakedownMRAs

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Ohlmann- No, IQ scores aren’t that relevant for actors. It’s just a way of illustrating that high intelligence doesn’t always mean being more interested in things than people. Scoring high on math tests doesn’t mean you’re required to spend your life working with metal machines that blink and bleep and smash particles and move big piles of objects from here to there, as JB seems to think (and also my high school math teacher, who bugged me and bugged me to join Math Team and never understood why I wanted to do sports and play music instead. It wasn’t that I didn’t love math, I just loved those other things more, but he felt I was frivolously wasting my One True Gift on pointless, stupid activities).

It annoys me that certain types of intelligence that are coded “male”, like pattern recognition and mechanical ability, get far more respect and attention than types that are coded “female”, such as social and emotional intelligence. Maybe because they’re easier to quantify and rank, so they feel more legitimate to the sort of person who scores well on that kind of test?

Misha
Misha

Is their IQs important however ? I mean, it’s a flawed and partial way to measure intelligence.

Agreed. The notion of IQ testing has always been dubious to me, as ‘intelligence’ is a difficult concept to define. ‘ Intelligences’ seems more accurate, with a wide variety of intersections and definitions, and makes the idea of a measurable aspect seem ludicrous.

This dude back in 2012 sums it up:

“Dr Roger Highfield, the Telegraph columnist and one of the authors of the paper, said: “When you come to the most complex known object, the human brain, the idea that there is only one measure of intelligence had to be wrong.

“We can all think of people that have poor reasoning and brilliant memories, or fantastic language skills but aren’t so hot at reasoning, and so on. Now once and for all we can say there is not a single measure such as IQ which captures all the intelligence that you see in people.”

KathleenB
KathleenB

I’m… confused. If having a baby is the true expression of my womanhood or whatever, does the hysterectomy make me…. not a woman? Unable to express my womanhood? Can I be womanly through playing with my nephew?

bekabot

@ Jenny & Co.

I understood JB’s post to be a drawn-out joke (though IMO it was drawn out past the point where the joke still worked). What I was getting at (seriously) was that I’m not certain all of JB’s confederates would be willing to accept her joke even as a joke. Once again, I point to the example of Anita Sarkeesian playing video games — Sarkeesian was scarcely proposing that society be reconfigured from the ground up, and she wasn’t saying anything which wasn’t true, but the gamergaters reacted as though she’d blown up Mt. Rushmore or assassinated a Pope. Just saying.

Ellesar
Ellesar

I am so loving that photo! She looks so happy and proud. What an absolute cutie.

I think that JB has paraphrased the worlds’ most hypocritical ‘feminist’ Camille Paglia. I remember her saying that if society was run by women we would all still be living in mud huts. I think JB is just taking it to the next level and has decided that we would actually be eating mud.

I think JB is like the kind of women that Andrea Dworkin talked about in ‘Right Wing Women’. Obviously SHE isn’t the kind of woman she is so nasty about. Obviously different ‘rules’ apply to HER!

Catalpa
Catalpa

most women have babies whereas most men do not create large hadron colliders.

Clearly what JB is saying is that women are pretty good at being women, but men absolutely suck at being men. I mean, if they really were all super smart science geniuses, we would be neck deep in hadron colliders. I mean, seriously, dudes. Cis women have been having babies since the beginning of our species, and you have managed, what, one, maybe two large hadron colliders in all this time? You’re not pulling your weight!

Robert
Robert

“There is no female mind. The brain is not an organ of sex. As well speak of a female liver.”
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, from “Women and Economics”, 1898.

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

“She tests extraordinarily high, and likes hair and make-up and wants to be a showgirl. Fair enough, Lauren, but I sincerely wonder how many men with IQs over 160 are interested in acting and dancing?”

yeah it’s not like an actress ever invented anything or contributed to modern technology

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Cyberwolf

Nor quite the same thing but Barbara Cartland designed the gliders used at Pegasus Bridge.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Catalpa

Yeah, and those babies women have been having? They’ve done a LOT more to change the world than one measly hadron collider. Beethoven’s 9th, the Taj Mahal, rugby, cars, electrical appliances…literally everything you see around you was invented and discovered and built by former babies.

Women are the ones who should get 100% credit for civilization, since it’s their babies that built it.

Luzbelitx

@Alan

Ha, I trusted you’d be better informed on the subject 🙂

weirwoodtreehugger

I don’t think it’s been brought up yet, but does anyone else detect an element of racism in the whole grass hut thing? People tend to associate grass huts with sub Saharan Africa mostly. Although climate controlled buildings made with modern technologies are the most safe and comfortable, that doesn’t mean living in a grass hut is a sign of inferiority. Some pre-industrialized cultures built dwellings out of grass and mud, some out of stone, some out of wood etc. It depended on what made sense for the climate and what was available. What’s so bad about grass huts?

In addition to this being a misogynistic “men built all the things!” rant, she snuck in a little “white people built all the things!” in there too.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Being generous I’m willing to assume she’s chosen grass huts as they’re generally theorised to be the first constructed shelters.

Although a better rhetoric for her argument would have been a reference to caves. If she’s giving women credit for grass huts then she’s saying they innovated the construction industry.

bodycrimes

Hey, I’m confused here. I thought JudgyBitch was an advocate of ‘men’s rights’? Just wondering how calling women stupid helps lower the rate of rape in the military and in prison, or helps men who are victims of violence, or helps tackle the appallingly high suicide rates etc etc

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

@EJ, thanks for crunching the numbers. And catalpa, it does seem there is room for improvement if they’ve only produced one LHC in all this time, doesn’t it? Women seem to be womaning much more efficiently.

@Robert: Great quote!

peristyle
peristyle

Of all the crap that MRAs say, I think the claim that women don’t accomplish anything… that one bothers me the most.

I recall Roosh making some blog post (he’s not the only one) about how an over-educated woman wilts his boner. Most MRAs definitely hate educated, accomplished women.

Starting in the school years, a girl will be “rewarded” with male attention and validation, based only on how hot she is and by how nicely she decorates his arm. She may or may not have other ambitions or accomplishments, but a lot of guys have no idea because that’s not the least bit interesting to them.

Some guys don’t *want* a girl with ambitions. But they’ll turn around and criticize her anyway for her lack of accomplishments. Make up your minds, guys!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Perhaps they thought this was a real public information film?

freemage

AltoFronto | October 7, 2015 at 3:53 am

Isn’t socialising girls in a way equal to boys like… a major aspect of Feminism?

Almost right on the wording here, but not quite (note; given the rest of your post, I actually suspect that you were shooting for something closer than what follows). This phrasing makes it sound like feminists want to start teaching girls just like we currently do boys–ie, ‘boy socialization’ is the standard, and girls should be moved to it. That’s the straw-feminist position that JB is trying to satirize, actually.

Feminism wants to take the entire notion of gendered socialization out behind the woodshed with a shotgun. Boys and girls should receive the same sort of socialization, and that really should only have some elements of what we currently do, in either case. The rest can be discarded from the chaff.

In short, ‘snakes and snails and puppy dog tails’ needs to get pitched along with ‘sugar and spice and everything nice’.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

General thing — I am beginning to get slightly squicked by the amount of “women make babies” in this thread. I can’t pinpoint it, and please nobody read this as attacking you, I totally get that JB started it, but the association of women make babies, women are good at making babies, etc is edging a bit close to my comfort level. I guess I’m just generally grumbling about the idea that all women have, or had, a uterus, which isn’t really fair since I’ve seen it here as specifically cis women. Blarg, it’s probably just me having a generally gender grumbly day, carry on as you were 🙂

WWTH — yeah, I’m feeling you on the racism, for bonus dumb mud is actually a pretty good building material, and grass huts? Ummm, hay has been picking up some support in the Midwest where it is abundant — insulates well, isn’t prone to being eaten by bugs of any sort, coated in stucco (a thing that is rather like mud) it’s weather resistant, in short, grass and mud are actually fairly good for making a home. But hey, “those people” do it, so it must be rubbish right?

scarlettpipstrelle

Um, I work at a major aerospace firm that gets into the news a lot, and I hate to tell her that those whiz-bang achievements are almost entirely team efforts. Big teams. And on those teams are a LOT of women engineers, scientists, and high-level managers (of both projects and people). Oh, and did I mention that I was a sole breadwinner for 4 kids for over 20 years in a STEM career? I must not have been too bad.

scarlettpipstrelle

Really, they make science and engineering sound like it’s some upper body strength, Indiana Jones thing, but it’s not like that at all.

entropyjukebox

Hey everyone – I just found you guys and I’m so glad. This is my first post. When I read this piece of gibberish, the first thing I thought was that she was quoting Camille Paglia (“mud huts”) but neglected to attribute. Does she do that a lot? Plagiarize, I mean?

Ellie
Ellie

@bodycrimes

Hey! I (we) missed you!

It’s another way you can’t win with MRAs. “Masculinity is the best thing ever! I wish I was gay! I wish women were more masculine! Wait, I want femininity and softness and all that good stuff! Women shouldn’t be masculine! BAWWWWWWWW”

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Well, I suppose that at least her sons will have a healthy ego and an attitude of entitlement, which are totally characteristics that *never* steer a kid wrong or make them think that the world owes them everything because they are there.

Wait….they should be old enough to no longer need their mother, because at a certain age it’s all about the manly things and the process of raising boys into men can *only* be successful if they are allowed to go live with a pack of wolves in the vast (and undisclosed specific gps coordinates) wilderness! All that needs to be done is to open the gate to the backyard while JB is distracted with whatever she does all day and night….Run with the wolves boys, quick, while you still can!

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Cyberwulf – I was just thinking about Hedy Lamarr when I was reading the other comments.

Also the phrase “Large Baby Collider” in David’s article made me guffaw. Guffaw! Or chortle. Maybe both.

epitome of incomprehensibility

re Hedy Lamarr: also in the comic Pandapool linked, sorry.

Also, thanks EJ (The Other One) for the info about Maria Kirsch. A fascinating life story and set of accomplishments.

Lego was one of my favourite toys when I was 7-12. I liked the versatility of the basic building blocks, plus I loved attaching wheels to things (misandry!) or Lego flowers (docile femininity!). Later on my brother and I would make up complicated scenarios: my favourite was the story in which a captain of the Belgian military police traveled to Kodiak Island, Alaska, to track down the Lego villain Ogel and a bunch of kids ended up catching the bad guy somewhere in Qatar. I contributed the mechanics, he the geography (I hardly knew where Belgium was back then, never mind Qatar!)

And now I’m sounding like a commercial. A bizarre, sentimental commercial. 🙂

decourse
decourse

Women do indeed make Large Hadron Colliders but they do so with Comic Sans, and that’s just unacceptable.

Ooh, I’m afraid we do have to dock some Serious Scientist Points for that.

bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

“The ultimate expression of femininity is a baby, and the ultimate expression of masculinity is the Large Hadron Collider.”

Which means that a majority of women (though not me) have reached the “ultimate expression”, whereas almost no men have built a Large Hadron Collider, so the men are clearly punching way below their weight.

So even by JB’s absurdly twisted world view, all the men she knows are failures.

Do they know she thinks that about them?

scarlettpipstrelle

I had four babies back in the 80s. Is that the achievement equivalent of 4 Large Hadron Colliders?

Ellesar
Ellesar

entropyjukebox – Welcome!

I thought of Paglia too. JB takes sources from all sorts of places, as long as they are critical of women in some way, and not critical of men, so Paglia would be perfect for her.

freemage

Oh, forgot to mention. My best friend’s wife (also a good friend) is an architect. Their daughters have inherited her massive Lego collection, and adore them.

Dang, shitting an LHC sounds painful.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Dang, shitting an LHC sounds painful.

Also painful: Laughing with a mouth full of Altoids (now a nose full of Altoids). =P

Lisa
Lisa

Thank you for this David. Judgy Bitch is a mediocre troll at best.

Lisa
Lisa

@Weirwoodtreehugger

Good points. One thing to remember about JB and her corner of the manosphere is that their lifeline is the traditionalist conservative set. People who are eager to recast their misogyny, racism, and homophobia as concern about America’s social problems, and who are apt to claim proof of their views lies in bogus science, evopsych, or “facts” , you know, like, it’s just a fact that most women just aren’t that smart and they are wired to prefer designer clothes and babies and that’s why everything was invented by men.

At the end of the day she often backpeddles from her ridiculous and inaccurate statements, claiming “but it’s satire!” Which must be how you get away with calling yourself a writer and blogger without actually having to know or research anything.

Paradoxical Intention

Sorry to kinda necro this thread, but this was where the Lego discussion happened, and I just saw a really damn awesome Lego commercial featuring a girl doing some really cool things (and saying that she was inspired by both her parents, not just dad):

tehy5

390 word article; by my count, 226 of those words are in sentences with ad hominems or outright insults. Impressive!

Janet’s point is that feminists are socializing boys to be like women; reciting the stated goals of feminists, which they have clearly left behind long ago, does little to counter the point. Were we to use a more reactive dictionary which moves with the time…say, urban dictionary, we get a very different picture of feminism then Webster would give us. Furthermore, she then states that it would be more logical to go the other way around, though anyone with a brain can understand that she thinks both are not good to begin with.

By the way;

‘The ultimate expression of femininity is a baby, and the ultimate expression of masculinity is the Large Hadron Collider.’

If you disagree with this, then provide alternates to these two ultimate expressions, and back them up. And remember, if you disagree that ‘femininity’ and ‘masculinity’ are things, you need to explain how Caitlyn Jenner can have a ‘female brain’, or else the PC bros will be after you in full force :].

kfreed
kfreed

So Judgybitch is looking at becoming a Duggar clone? How many babies has she borne and why is she spending all her time goofing off on the Internet when she has diapers to change, toilets to clean, and sammiches to make? Apparently, she hasn’t thought through her devotion to Phyllis Schlafly and the John Birch Society.

isidore13
isidore13

Tehy5: Why does there have to be an ultimate expression of masculinity or femininity at all?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

“Reactionary.” The word you’re looking for is “Reactionary.”

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Fuck it, I’m bored, I’ll tackle this. First off, wtf are “the PC bros”? Bros aren’t exactly trans friendly, as a general rule. Of course, you clearly aren’t either, so fuck you for using trans people to try deriding feminists.

Second, that “born in the wrong body” thing is a simplification so you cis folks can have some idea wtf we’re talking about without making ignorant heads explode. It’s not so much “female brain” in some social roles thing, so much as the parts of the brain in charge of body mapping (the same ones that let you scratch an itch you can’t see), got a bit befuddled, such that the anatomy you’ve got doesn’t match wtf your brain says should be there. And I’ve now oversimplified dysphoria for you!

Third, dude, I’m non-binary. I reject both those social roles and land somewhere in between, what I see when I look down doesn’t match what should be there, but I don’t want to transition to the “opposite” sex, that would feel just as wrong. So no, smarty pants, trans people don’t prove the concept of gender roles, and we certainly aren’t your GOTCHA against feminists.

weirwoodtreehugger

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@Argenti
I think the “PC bros” is a South Park reference.

tehy5

‘Trolly is also assuming that every trans woman expresses her femininity the same way. A butch lesbian trans woman is as much a woman as a straight girly girl trans woman. Feminine isn’t the same for every trans woman any more than it’s the same for every cis woman.’

No, it’s assuming that most do-because most do! But forgive me for not stating the blindingly obvious truth that most generalizations don’t apply to anyone. Trolly is calling your opponent a troll despite him purposely using mild words to avoid emotional reactions and therefore conduct a calm, reasonable debate.

‘“And remember, if you disagree that ‘femininity’ and ‘masculinity’ are things, you need to explain how Caitlyn Jenner can have a ‘female brain’, or else the PC bros will be after you in full force :].”

So, it’s purely a matter of anatomy? In that case, why the hormone therapy ?_? And moreover, why do trans women alter how they look, and wear female clothing? Are you really telling me that the whole trans thing is purely a physical feeling? From everything I have heard from trans people, I have an incredibly tough time believing that.

No one mentioned you and your wonderful non-binarity, so why are you shoving it in here? Seriously, this has nothing to do with my argument at all.

Also, I don’t appreciate your… “And now i’ve oversimplified dysphoria for you!’. You social justice types have decided it’s the correct …humor style, or something…it’s not very humorous, and also it’s douchey, cut it out and tell your friends to cut it out too

‘Now then, go use urban dictionary to look up imaginary sex terms, not political concepts that the 12 year olds that edit there don’t even remotely grasp.’

‘Were we to use a more reactive dictionary which moves with the time…say, urban dictionary …

“Reactionary.” The word you’re looking for is “Reactionary.”’

No, the word I was really looking for was…real. Urban Dictionary responds to what is really going on in our society and social media today, rather than what most people believe. Feminists are acting like first-class assholes, focusing on first-world problems like manspreading, air condiioning, and sweat-shaming, all while barraging any man to say anything remotely problematic. For example, Tim Hunt said ‘women cry more’. Rebecca Watson posted a video showing that women have smaller tear ducts, proving him right. Didn’t stop him from getting hate-mobbed and fired. Never mind that he has mentored many prominent female scientists, advancing the very cause you fight for. No wonder people disdain feminism.

weirwoodtreehugger

Oooh! We haven’t gotten a tone policing troll in what, 48 whole hours?

It really doesn’t matter whether you use mild words. The content of what you say is what matter. Saying assholish things in a civil tone is still being an asshole. Trying to pit trans people and cis feminists against each other to defend the rantings of a misogynist is an asshole thing to do, no matter what tone you do it in.

Also, who asked you to have a debate with us? Nobody here did. We keep anti-feminist trolls around to mock until we either get bored with you and have you banned or until you’ve been fed so much you burst and flounce. This isn’t a debating site. It’s a mocking misogyny site. You’re not entitle to a calm debate here just because you decided you want one. Don’t like it? Post elsewhere.

Tessa

Tehy:

Well… About first world problems, if it’s so insignificant that we shouldn’t care, why should you? Is manspreading so important to you that you need to defend it?

And Tim Hunt didn’t simply say “women cry more.” What a horrible misrepresentation. He said: “Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry.”
This is about men and women working in labs together, that women shouldn’t work in labs with men because they are a distraction to the men doing real science. Even though problems usually arise from how women are treated, somehow it’s the fault of the women for being there. That is the problem, not that he says women simply “cry more.” And he did that at an invitation-only lunch in honour of women in science!
And before you say he was joking, after the fact in his “apology” he also stated:

“I did mean the part about having trouble with girls. It is true that I have fallen in love with people in the lab and that people in the lab have fallen in love with me. It’s very disruptive to science, because it’s terribly important in the lab that people are on a level playing, and I’ve found that these emotional entanglements have made life difficult.

I’m really really sorry that I caused any offense, that’s awful. I just meant to be honest, actually.”

So yeah… And he wasn’t fired, they were honorary positions with no income.

Protip: To quote before the part you want to quote type in (less than sign)blockquote(greater than sign) and then after the part you want quoted it’s (less than sign)/blockquote(greater than sign)

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Bonus points for the casual misogyny.

Bina
Bina

Judgy Bozo’s “point”, if she has one, is plainly situated at the top of her skull. As is yours, apparently. Which makes it rather convenient for inserting up her ass, as you both plainly seem awfully fond of doing.

Also, LOL @ your Urban Dictionary brainstorm. Yes, let’s use ignorant trolls’ ever-shifting definitions of everything as our gold standard of reference. Never mind that it’s mostly dross!

And another thing: Who’s this “anyone with a brain” you’re referring to? Surely not you and Judgy. You’re both witless wondertwits.

By the way;

Oh, fuck you. I can disagree with your (and her) bullshit without providing examples. I don’t owe you shit, troll.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Aw, if you don’t like sarcasm, you should maybe read the byline before commenting! Somewhere in that “we mock misogyny” is the clear implication that there will be sarcasm.

And no, I didn’t say it was *just* a matter of biology, I said it wasn’t simply a matter of wanting to fill the “opposite” gender’s role, nor a matter as simple as there being two distinct binary options. Which is why my gender is relevant oh polite one! Because no, masculinity and femininity aren’t discrete things. And no shit Sherlock, things like clothing go into what gender people perceive you to be! I’d have never guessed that people would be more likely to call me ma’am in a shirt and heels and sir in a suit and tie, it’s not even remotely like I’ve done both!

As for hormones… go get a science book if you really don’t understand how hormones affect your body. Like, seriously, I can’t even with that one.

RosaDeLava — should’ve known it was a pop culture reference, I’m rubbish at those! Still haven’t the foggiest wtf our new friend meant though.

Anyone got the bingo cards? Cuz this one has trans friends y’all!