4chan advocacy of violence beta males empathy deficit entitled babies evil sexy ladies grandiosity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny playing the victim terrorism that's not funny! threats

4channers now threatening to shoot up every school they can think of, as well as Whoville and the moon

The mascot of the "beta uprising."
The mascot of the “beta uprising.”

Universities in the Philadelphia area were on high alert today after a threat directed at them was posted on 4chan’s /r9k/ board. The anonymous threat (everything is anonymous on 4chan) deliberately called to mind the threat/warning posted on the same message board last week, the day before a gunman shot and killed eight students and one professor at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.

“The first of our kind has struck fear into the hearts of America,” the writer of the new threat declared.

His cries have been heard, even by the president. This is only the beginning. On October 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM CT, a fellow robot will take up arms against a university near Philadelphia. His cries will be heard, his victims will cower in fear, and the strength of the Union will decay a little more. …

Martyr yourself for the cause or support those who have the courage to do so. We have the chance to make the world a better place for betas everywhere.

The deadline passed without incident — as did the deadline for a similar threat directed at schools in Edinburgh. Scotland, posted shortly after the Oregon shootings — but not without shaking a lot of people up.

Now the most malevolent trolls on the /r9k/ board, knowing that they have the attention of the world, are rhapsodizing about the coming “beta rebellion,” gleefully mocking the victims of the Oregon shootings, and posting threats aimed at an assortment of schools around the world, from Texas to the Netherlands.

And so, alongside more traditional /r9k/ topics as “Post your waifu” and “DAILY REMINDER THAT ALL FEMALES ARE DECEIVING SUBHUMAN WHORES,” the board today is filled with simultaneously ridiculous and chilling messages like these:

Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)15:01:08 No.22995724▶>>22995744 >>22995763 >>22995785 >>22995913 >>22995995 Some of you guys are alright. Don't go to school tomorrow if you're near Austin. happening thread will be posted later so long, space robots >> Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)15:01:43 No.22995744▶ >>22995724 (OP) Go to A&M instead please >> Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)15:02:30 No.22995763▶ >>22995724 (OP) Good luck, brobot.

Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)12:16:28 No.22989609▶>>22989676 >>22989718 >>22989734 >>22989758 >>22989777 >>22989782 Gonna fucking do it. Fuck society, fuck interaction that is literally 100% social constructs, fuck people, fuck the government. Tomorrow at 10:05 i will open fire at the university of Leiden. Not gonna tell you which faculty, thats up to you to guess. Shit's gonna go down, then i'm gonna go down. Going for the highscore. Only counts if suicide you cancerous fucks, get it right. >> Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)12:17:07 No.22989632▶ Quit being a fag >> Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)12:18:33 No.22989676▶>>22989707 >>22989609 (OP) oh shutup, you're gonna be one of those idiots who gets like 2 kills but injures 30 people.

in class right now beta uprising Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)15:11:10 No.22996081▶>>22996155 Im tired of all these people bullying betas like me tomorrow im gonna do something about it. I f you live on nor-cal don't go to school tomorrow! This is for the glory of betas everywhere! >> Anonymous 10/05/15(Mon)15:13:09 No.22996155▶ >>22996081 (OP) This is just routine now. Move along robots.

4chan being what it is, other anons are posting ironic “threats” aimed at, among other places, the moon, Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, and Whoville — the latter a reference to a news reporter who mistook the board’s meme mascot, a frog called Pepe, for the Grinch.

In the wake of a mass shooting that left ten people dead, this is all a good deal less than hilarious. Yes, yes, 4chan apologists, I know that the anons writing the “real threats” are most likely shitposters, like the anons joking about shooting up the moon, in that they most likely have no intention of carrying out their threats.

But at the same time it’s clear they do intend to terrorize real people with their probably fake threats. As they know well, we have to take them seriously, given that a similar threat on the same message board only a few days ago was followed by an actual, real-world massacre.

This isn’t shitposting so much as it is terrorism, a form of terrorism enabled and in some ways encouraged by 4chan’s anonymous nature.

It’s also clear that the “beta uprising” the /r9k/ regulars are joking about — and designing flags for — isn’t altogether a joke to them either.

Anonymous  10/05/15(Mon)15:01:10 No.22995726▶ The Beta Uprising needs to be political, not violent. You NEETcucks have a captive audience, maybe take this seriously and develop an actual platform. You have problems that need to be dealt with, the bleeding heart liberals don't care because you're mostly white men. But now they're scared, maybe they'll listen to you for once. Or you can continue to be a literal terror organization and inevitably make things worse for all of us Robots. Do you honestly think normalfags will be on the losing end of this? >>  Anonymous  10/05/15(Mon)15:02:42 No.22995769▶ Literally the only thing that makes change in the world is violence, and lots of it. All throughout history, change, both positive and negative, has been brought about by violence.

Aside from the picture of Hitler, there’s not much deliberate irony in this discussion. These are two people discussing the future of a would-be political movement, in the wake of an act of terrorism that may be tied to the message board they are posting on. One thinks the terror caused by the shootings in Oregon will lead people to take their “issues” seriously; the second sees to think that continued violence is the only answer.

I’m not seeing a joke here.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

AnAndrejaPejicBlog (@A_Pejic_Blog)

@EJ

There’s a big difference between just crushing on someone and erotomania.

ami
ami

Infowar wrote about 4chan scam action “piss for equality”, pretending that many feminists took the bait when in reality all the “feminist” twitter accounts that were showed in the article were from 4channers themselves (they all have been created only recently and the tweets really show it all).

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ andre

Indeed, of course for it to be true erotomania (De clerembaut’s syndrome) the person with the infatuation has to believe it is in fact reciprocated and that the other party is communicating with them.

mockingbird
mockingbird

Romantically fixating on the idea of a person without them being aware of it, without their input or consent, and without any knowledge of how they’d react to it, is intrinsically hella creepy in my book. The fact that the person doesn’t exist at all is even creepier.

*tucks away teenage crushes on fictional characters*

YEAH, THAT’S REALLY CREEPY.

I mean, who DOES that?

*looks around, heart starts beating a bit too fast*

Right?
Right??

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Vanir, et al re: “shut down 4chan, prosexute the members”:

Eh, from what I know of the bulk of the site, I’d cry no tears if it suddenly vanished, but I’m not down for witch hunts.

Assumimg thry can be found, prosecute for terrorism those who are posting specific threats (or at least track them down and keep an eye on them*)?
Sure.
But “ARGLEBARLGLE GULAG TIME” isn’t cool.

We may be speaking across cultures here, though. I’m coming from an admittedly Hoorah-1st-Amendment stance.

* From what I understand, even the US Secret Service makes sure that someone who’s making threats against the President is actually potentially capable of carrying them out before prosecution’s even remotely on the table.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Is that the mindset of people with waifus or….?

Tabby Lavalamp

(also, no, being member of a terrorist group isn’t ground for bail-less imprisonment in any democratic country, almost by definition)

That’s why the United States does it outside of their borders. And the person only needs to be suspected of or accused of being a member of a terrorist group.

mockingbird
mockingbird

Please excuse the eleventy bilion rushing-on-my-phone-based typos.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

[blockquote]Lots of people have fictional or famous crushes, that’s not so bad. The creepy part is people who use “Waifu” tend to dehumanise them down to blow-up dolls.[/blockquote]

I fully agree with that. It’s not so bad in itself (perhaps creepy on some, I can think of the youngest-looking one), but often the people doing that also make them complete stepford wives. It’s particulary jarring when I see that done on character I love because of their tormented psyche and humane reactions, like, say, Asuka from Evangelion.

On a somewhat similar note, I found that : https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/650924632933974016
It’s certainly the worse case and creepiest case of dehumanizing a fictional character I can think of. Any women I would see with that expression and invitation would make me immediatly call the police, because she negatively look broken.

History Nerd

More Kevin Logan’s Sarkeesian Effect parody is up.

Robjec
Robjec

@marinerachel

For the most part yes that’s it. Some people take it too far but that fall under the whole Dark side of Anime culture and a lot of people precise that side of it to be everything.

And yeah I have fictional ceushes. Juvia from fairy tial has like the same personality towards romance I do 🙂

Dodom
Dodom

“Hey, people have noticed mass murderers commonly used chanboards to motivate themselves before acting! That means the police could monitor chanboards to locate the next mass murderer before it’s too late! Ok everybody, lets spam fake threats so the information is unusable and the police CAN’T prevent the next mass shooting!”

Catalpa
Catalpa

??? IMO

Catalpa
Catalpa

Dammit I hit enter too soon.

IMO, there’s nothing wrong with crushes at all, assuming that the person doing the crushing is fully aware that what they are enjoying is a fantasy. In the case of fictional people, it’s even more harmless because there isn’t really a way to take it to stalker levels (aside from actors, I suppose), or to victimize someone who doesn’t exist.

scribbles

mockingbird: First off, fuck the first amendment. It needs a rewrite. It’s complete shit and only protects the speech of certain people (and corporations lol) as is. The constitution sucks unless you’re a member of one of the handful of groups it’s intended to benefit.

Secondly, yeah, very few 4channers are what could be called members, or trips. Most posters are like suburban white 13-year-olds who just found out about the Internet and who think being edgy mcedgerson is hilarious. Arresting all IPs that have shown up would be pretty dumb, especially when people are probably checking it out for the first time because of the recent news.

Honestly, I’d laugh my ass off if the r9k manbabies making the threats all got thrown in prison. That whole “my middle class life is hell and girls don’t like me because I’m a ‘beta’ (annoying creep)” bullshit wouldn’t fly. At all. There’s actually a video floating around on youtube of a 4channer who went to prison. It’s pretty funny.

Sorry, I just get intense schadenfreude from watching whiny, moneyed, straight white boys who act like their lives are “hell” while destroying others’ lives for funsies or whatever get theirs. They don’t know hell. I wish they did.

bvh
bvh

“What do you mean by exposed and shut down?”

Exactly that. It’s no different from investigating any other organized group engaged in criminal or semi-criminal activity. But they dragged their heels because it was dismissed as “stuff on the Internet”. Now the best evidence/connections are probably gone.

If you’re looking for specifics of how to investigate online creeps, sorry, not going to happen. No free protips to GG lurkers.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Ah, a timely example of English law.

Note she’s been charged under the relatively minor ‘malicious communication’ offence; albeit the racially aggravated version. So no need to show she was trying to incite anyone.

Josh
Josh

So basically, people here are cool with the IDEA of Guantanamo bay and all its human rights violations as long as it’s against a different group than the one currently holed up there?

Josh
Josh

*some people

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

The above was pretty hypocritical of me, since I had my first crush on Éowyn daughter of Éomund (whom I will defend to this day as a stone badass, even for people who don’t identify as much with Faramir as I did.) Thank you for setting me right, M, AndrejaPejic, Mockingbird, marinerachel, Ohlmann, Robjec, Catalpa. My apologies.

Thinking about it, I think that crushes weird me out in general, but I’ll keep that to myself rather than making moral judgments about other people as a result.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Josh:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Hell no.

Honest answer: Cry some moar, gator. Your gotchas are weak sauce.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Good news! A 14-year-old boy in Arkansas was arrested for “first degree terrorist threatening” for a post he made on 4chan.

Moocow
Moocow

In all it’s context, the term ‘waifu’ was specifically when ever-so-creepy Kimura introduces his wife, as in ‘oh yeah, that’s my wife’. The joke was, of course, how does such a creep who became a high school teacher for the worst reason ever have such a kind and attractive wife? The main cast even asks her about this (and she’s like ‘eh, he’s just quirky’)

I’m torn on this one. Part of me gets this really uncomfortable vibe from the term ‘waifu’ (and more specifically its use) and part of me acknowledges that everyone has characters in movies, tv, anime or video games that they find attractive or imagine themselves with.

Mike
Mike

I refer to Jon Hamm as my boyfriend. I don’t actually think he and I are dating but I don’t think it’s creepy that I have a crush on him and jokingly tell people he’s my boyfriend. Is that the mindset of people with waifus or….?

I think that for many of them, it goes beyond just crushes or fantasies and incorporates an element of possessiveness and control (imaginary, but still). Like it’s one thing to say “[Character] is so hot, I wish she were my girlfriend” but another to say “[Character] IS mine, she belongs to ME,” which is where the waifu thing tips into creepiness. As for how many of the guys posting about their waifus actually approach it this way (as opposed to garden-variety moon-eyed crushes and sex fantasies), well, I don’t know, but I think a degree of possessiveness is built-in to the idea…

Honestly, I really do feel for a lot of these guys – I know how it is to be a lonely, nerdy, bullied adolescent, and I know that it sucks. Our culture (assuming most of these guys are in the U.S.) stigmatizes depression and anxiety, stigmatizes social difficulty and awkwardness, stigmatizes loneliness, even; it’s hard to look towards the future and feel like there’ll never be anything there for you, really. William Styron wrote about depression that “It is hopelessness even more than pain that crushes the soul;” the movie “Side Effects” summed it up really well: depression is an inability to imagine the future (and yes, I’m assuming that a lot r9k types experience depression – that might not be true…). The thing is, instead of seeking compassion or kindness, or trying to find ways to change their society (maybe even – god forbid – working with feminist activists to challenge retrograde notions of masculinity), they embrace the most nihilistic bullshit. Dan Olson put it really well on his Twitter feed (@FoldableHuman) – I’m gonna quote it here rather than try and embed the tweets:

I have some empathy for the r9k crowd. It’s rough being in a sport-fueled culture when you’re not built for or inclined towards sports. But that’s more or less where the empathy stops. Because it’s Fight Club. Rather than realizing culture sold an idea of macho rotten to the core, they demand the junk they were promised. They resent the jocks, they resent women, they resent people who are able to focus and function. But they never question the mythology. Their epistemology has been written by beer commercials and teen sex comedies. Are they lonely, shy, depressed, anxious, and scared? Sure. But they’re also mean, angry, and vicious. “I have rejected the outer trappings of Macho! I do not care for cars or sport! I am not like the jock! I am not like the jock! Bitch.”

That said, I have to admit that some of the vitriol in this comment thread feels really wrongheaded to me. It’s way too easy to hate on nerds, on the socially-awkward, on the mentally ill…The real issue here isn’t white middle-class nerdiness, but rather a specific strain of hate that runs through places like 4chan (albeit not the entirety of 4chan). IMO.

marinerachel
marinerachel

That’s amazing news Auntie Alias, thank you.

Josh
Josh

@EJ

First off, I’m not a gamergater.

Second, the people saying “LETS LOCK EM UP NO TRIAL NO BAIL PUT EM AWAY FOREVER” are the ones I’m referring to, not the people rationally saying that there should be a way to track down the 4channers, which I do agree with.

Moocow
Moocow

@Aunt Alias

Yesssssss!!!!! I just hope he was like “but it was satire, I didn’t mean it!”

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@EJ

No worries, anybody who had a childhood crush on Eowyn is a-okay in my book. 😉

@everything else

For all my annoyance (lolunderstatement), I don’t agree with limiting freedom or arresting without proof/on a guilt-by-association basis. I mean, America does need to step up its game on hate speech laws and stop coddling white terrorists, but not at the expense of everybody else. When I wonder aloud why 4Chan and Reddit haven’t been shut down, I mean by their server hosts or domain registrars, not the government.

Dismantling the First Amendment, in particular, is a terrible idea. If you think it’d be used to shut down 4Chan and Reddit but not, for example, shoot every single #BlackLivesMatter protester, you’re fooling yourself.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Argh, WP smilies.

dhag85

Uh, yeah, nothing wrong with having crushes. Sometimes it’s best that they stay in your head though.

Umm. I’m torn. It’s good that 4channers can’t always expect to get away with their shit, but something about arresting 14 year olds just never feels great to me. I don’t know.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

@Moocow

He claims it was a dare. Uh huh.

@dhag85

Fourteen is old enough to know right from wrong and pay consequences for bad actions. If he’s convicted, a juvenile sentence will be lighter than an adult’s. I just hope the rest of the little shits are paying attention.

Moocow
Moocow

@Josh

I think you mean “person”; not ‘people’. I only found one in this thread…

C.S.Strowbridge | October 5, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Treat 4chan like a terrorist organization. Shut down the site and arrest anyone who was a member. Deny them bail and let them rot in jail until everything is sorted out.

…and it’s a pretty obvious this is a troll who’s trying to get us to agree with these ridiculously drastic measures that nobody agrees with (and who was even called out by Argenti)

To say

people here are cool with the IDEA of Guantanamo bay

Is very presumptuous because nobody agreed with “C.S. Strowbridge”. Trolls are not “people here”. The “people here” are pretty much of the opinion that:

– 4chan should be shut down (or at the very least have stricter policies/moderation that don’t allow this kind of terrorism (because that’s exactly what this is)
– those posting threats should face consequences for their actions and we are pleased to hear that this is the case.
– Having the hots for a fictional character is cool as long as you don’t become overly possessive. (Getting to play as Yuna was half of why FFX-2 is my video game guilty pleasure)

History Nerd

@Alan It’s probably a good idea to have minor offenses that people can be charged with if something doesn’t rise to the level of a credible threat but that’s still really troubling. That’s a downside to having an absolutist “freeze peaches” policy in which nobody really knows the point at which something stops being protected speech.

scribbles

Josh, there’s apparently an idiot who does, but other than that, no, the rest of us appear to believe that someone ought to be innocent until proven guilty.

Further, unlike MRAs and GG, we’re not really interested in forcibly silencing people’s speech when we disagree with it. Most of us think the site should be shut down because it’s consistently host to things that are not protected speech.

scribbles

Auntie Alias, I honestly don’t think a 14 year old should be run through the system. You know the rape statistics in juvenile facilities? It wouldn’t do shit for the kid except either kill him or drive him insane. And no, I don’t think a kid that age really does know right from wrong.

He needs therapy. It sounds like his parents are doing a shit job at instilling empathy, understanding, and engagement with his community.

scribbles

That said, watching 4channers get the stick is pretty hilarious.

Moggie
Moggie

dhag85:

I know nothing about the law in… wherever that arrest was made, but would you be ok with this if he’s subsequently released without charge? Making terroristic threats is [i]serious business[/i], and letting him soil himself from fear in a police cell before being released with a warning doesn’t seem too harsh to me.

Moggie
Moggie

scribbles:

He needs therapy.

Oh Christ, here we go again…

weirwoodtreehugger

Dhag,
It’s fine with me. As long as they try him as a juvenile. I am against trying minors as adults.

dhag85

@Moggie

I honestly don’t know the answer to this. There obviously needs to be consequences. But do I trust the police enough to feel ok handing over a kid to them? Nope.

scribbles

Maggie, I’m not saying he’s crazy. I’m saying he needs someone to correct his little ass. If you think our justice system is going to do that, you’re pretty naive.

scribbles

The kid is a member of a community that literally espouses fascism. Take a look at /pol/ (or don’t). It takes some serious deprogramming to undo that kind of hateful stupidity.

Josh
Josh

@scribble

I must have looked at it wrong before, I guess I thought there were more people agreeing with them than there really are. I tend to call out hypocrisy in places like this more than I would on say, AVFM, because people here could actually be reasoned with.

dhag85

@Josh

By “looked at it wrong” did you mean “didn’t look at all”? Because that’s the only way this makes any sense.

Josh
Josh

No, I didn’t pay much attention to the names of the people. So I though that Vanir guy was a few different people, combined with whoever said “fuck the first amendment”.

So I got stupid and shot my mouth off without bothering to check so I could feel morally superior. That’s about the best way I can sum it up.

scribbles

Fair enough. If people here were genuinely calling for gulags it would be pretty hilarious though. I think (most of) the left has learned its lesson, at least. The far right, apparently, has not, or maybe cannot.

I imagine trying to call out hypocrisy on AVFM is simultaneously reaching for low-hanging fruit and next to impossible. What kills me is that there are worthwhile men’s movements that actually work in concert with feminism, womanism, etc. but MRAs tend to disregard those. I’m not sure why. I think they genuinely do not trust academia. They’re to gender like what freemen on the land is to politics.

Lizard people. Lizard people everywhere.

dhag85

@Josh

Fair enough, I guess. Your first post is indistinguishable from our usual troll posts, so expect some backlash.

dhag85

Calling out hypocrisy on AVfM is impossible. They instaban for even minor disagreement by other MRAs.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Josh:
Apologies for calling you a gator. As dhag85 says, your first post in the thread looked like a piece of (poor) trolling, so I leapt to conclusions. I shouldn’t have done that.

I’ve twice now needed to apologise for things in this thread. I think I should just switch to listening mode for now.