dawgies kitties off topic open thread

All Natural Calming Product Open Thread

This is some dank ass shit
This is some dank ass shit

Get your mind off the news. Post brain bleach and happy thoughts in this open thread. No MRAs, etc. allowed.

Paradoxical Intention

I’m just gonna drop this again.

And holy crap I’m a wealth of ideas today. Too bad most of them are going to take up SO MUCH TIME.

At least I’ll have something to do tomorrow after I finish up some WKHTM designs maybe.

Project Dogmat released an update vid today featuring the character creator!

smithshadow

@ Paradoxical Intention

I apologise for the length of time it has taken to report on the Red Bubble delivery. It was sent to a friend, who was out of the country at the time. He reported he really LOVES the shirt. The poster and book were also praised highly. All seem of good quality. Looking forward to seeing the merchandise for the unofficial WHTM store.

BritterSweet

For anyone wondering what sound a baby giraffe makes:

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I really need some brain-bleach, after having a pointless argument over Facebook – about how Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn’s panel at the UN will supposedly lead to internet censorship.

Completely ruined my mood and thus my night, so I need something to cheer me up…

Nequam
Nequam

Say, I can’t remember if I showed you folks the finished version of my “24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai” book. I remember posting a FB link in the past but I’m not sure if it was still a work-in-progress then or not.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Here ya go. I found a nice site with tops and pants I was considering buying (I shouldn’t, what I really need is shoes, and shoes to suit my foot problems are seriously expensive). Of course, converting these prices to $AU means that they’re now much more expensive than they would have been a couple of years ago.

And then. I checked the shipping information — US and Canada only. Phooey. I was also thinking about some of the accessories and/or household items as Xmas gifts. Phooey again.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

You totally should show it again, even if you already did – I loves me some Hokusai.

contrapangloss

I don’t know who originally introduced me to this video, but this is my go to feel better song:

Another amazing feel better song (which I think I learned about on WHTM!)

I AM A DWARF AND I’M DIGGING A HOLE, DIGGY DIGGY HOLE, DIGGY DIGGY HOLE.

Simon’s back on YogCast BTW and I am very happy. :3

Tunak Tunak Tun is pretty fucking sweet too. Doing the dance is so fun,

brian

Here’s another music video from another Japanese band I really like. This one is more “calming.” This one is NOT an idol group, if that pushed you away from my previous post. This is a video from a group called Suiyobi no Campanella, for their song Napoleon. It was hard to pick a video, because all of them are pretty awesome, but this one I saw for the first time today (though I’ve had the album with the song on it for awhile now)

Kat
Kat

@mildlymagnificent
Is it a weird coincidence that I mentioned Marketplace of India on WHTM a couple of weeks ago? (Paul Elam mentioned that the MRM was strong in India, and I pointed out that Marketplace helps Indian women earn a decent living.)

Yeah, their stuff is pretty. Too bad they don’t ship to where you are. If there’s a fair trade store near you, it might carry some of their products.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Maybe, probably, I got it from your link. I’ve been looking at it on and off for a while (however long that might be). It was only when I thought to check about shipping costs that I discovered I’d been wasting my time. And got an attack of the phoooeys.

Nequam
Nequam

@Nick: The funny thing is, though it includes Hokusai illustrations it is in fact a Roger Zelazny story of that name (“24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai”). Curiously, it’s kind of a cyberpunk story.

The FB link should work for non-members, as they’re the ones I use to show books to my in-laws (who eschew social media):

As I say in the album, I’d like to maybe have a go at doing this book again… but right now I have a new and differently tricky project in the queue: restoring a damaged pop-up book…

EJ (The Other One)

As a result of a very weird series of conversations, this Monday I shall be running an RPG one-off for members of my local BDSM group. Most BDSMers are huge nerds, but this is aimed at people who’ve wanted to roleplay but have never had the chance before.

I shall be running Shadowrun (using a different system because its own is awful.) It’ll be a straightforward heist scenario, where they are breaking into an art gallery to steal certain valuable paintings, and I’ve planned a variety of different means by which they can accomplish it.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. Wish me luck.

skiriki

@Monzach:

It has been a pretty bad few days over here in the frozen north of Europe as well. It’s pretty rare that Finland makes international news these days but I wouldn’t have wanted it to happen in this way…

As a Finn, I feel this pain. Fuck our government, fuck our idiots, fucking fuck just them all. Just wish that they would fucking fuck off from this fucking country and fucking planet.

If people want to try some new recipes, I got some for y’all.

Moggie
Moggie

Maru-kun’s latest is relaxing, as always:

standgale

“It’s valerian – common natural sedative. I have never used it but apparently it is bitter. This concoction seems to have made it palatable enough though!”

I had a valerian plant but my cat ate it and killed it like it was cat nip, so maybe they can’t taste bitter? I didn’t get the chance to try it. (Bitter is normally found in plants to indicate poison and/or discourage animals from eating it, so maybe a dislike for bitterness doesn’t occur in carnivores?) Anyway, the point is that cats know valerian is a drug and they go for it. We have a catnip plant outside our door – protected by a chicken wire cage – and I feel bad because we see all the neighbourhood cats slinking up to partake of our little drug bush and I feel like we’re lowering the tone of the neighbourhood.

Luzbelitx

Yay open thread! I’m feeling a bit better today, and wanted to thank you for your support.

I spent the afternoon watching movies with my daughter, who is the most cuddling person I’ve known, and also the sweetest. That was some serious soul bleach.

Finally, baby girl scares daddy who tries to cut her nail (warning: Adorable baby laughter):

Orion

Upvoted x10. What a glorious, beautiful train wreck of a system.

I’m curious, how did y’all pick Shadowrun as your setting? Even leaving aside questions of system entirely, it strikes me as a very difficult setting and premise for new players.

tricyclist (@tonycollinet)

Well my fluffy thought for the day is based on going to “science the shit out of this” in about 1.5 hours. Woooeeeeeeee.

@Orion:

The conversation went like this (paraphrasing wildly):

Person 1: “I love cyberpunk art, but it has the problem of not having many handles on it – you can’t easily identify within it.”

Person 2: “That’s probably because part of the aesthetic is that it’s inherently alienating. Fantasy is all about cosy familiarity, so it feels a lot easier to get to grips with.”

Person 1: “Yeah, true. If only there was some combination of the two.”

EJ: “Like Shadowrun, you mean?”

::pause::

Person 1: “Is this one of these roleplaying games you play?”

EJ: “Yeah. It’s, like, a horrendous mashup of cyberpunk, fantasy and heist stories. It’s about elf hackers and cyborg wizards carrying out the plot of Ocean’s 11. It’s about as silly and camp as it sounds, too.”

::pause::

Person 1: “I want to be a cyborg wizard.”

Person 2: “I’ve always wanted to try these RPGs. EJ, run Shadowrun for us.”

EJ: “Um, okay. If you can get me three players, a time slot and a place…”

::24 hours later::

Person 1: “So it’s agreed. EJ will run us Shadowrun on Monday 5th. We’ve already got enough people expressing enthusiasm that there’s a reserve list. Most of them have never played before, either. Lots have never played an RPG.”

EJ: “Your enthusiasm is terrifying and I am worried for what will happen if I refuse.”

Person 3: “Hey, Shadowrun, cool! Can I play? Let me show you the Wired Reflexes / Move by Wire combo I built for my Street Samurai, he can get four initiative passes! Here’s his backstory, I’ve referenced all the most obscure parts of the lore!”

EJ: “Ahem. In the interests of my head not exploding, Person 3, perhaps you should, um… let the new players play. Yeah, that. It’ll be unfair to new people to have you in with them.”

Person 3: “Awwww man. I never get the chance to tell people my character backstory.”

marinerachel
marinerachel

I think I need to test that product. I wonder if 75 soft chews will be sufficient to get me feeling as you know that cat does.

Orion

Very cool, and pretty much the story I expected. I’m envious. It’s been a good few years since I had the chance to run a game. I’ve been pretty isolated in general, and while most of the friends I do have ID as gamers, we seem to have too much anxiety and mental illness to make any complicated social events happen.

(deleted block of unsolicited advice goes here)

Report back and tell us how it went?

(also, is move-by-wire really supposed to stack with wired reflexes? I didn’t think it did…)

EJ (The Other One)

I’ll definitely let you know how it goes.

I don’t actually know if Move By Wire stacks with Wired Reflexes. I suspect it doesn’t – initiative pass boosters don’t generally stack – but simply the fact that we can have this discussion highlights everything that is wrong with Shadowrun as writter.

Monday I shall be running an RPG one-off for members of my local BDSM group.

*cracks whip* I roll to seduce.

Some sort of username
Some sort of username

@Orion

Thanks to the power of the internet a group of friends and I who’ve never touched tabletop roleplaying before (except for our DM) are happily playing D&D together. I tell you, roll20.net is a thing of beauty for the socially reclusive and awkward because it’s all right there on our computers.

ej
ej

Unrelated to the gaming discussion, but I completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in 10 hours and 28 minutes today! My best-case scenario, shortest time estimate was 10.5 hours, so I’m pretty proud of myself.

tcwill00
tcwill00

I am going to be playing Traveller this evening! In a bar! In a nerd bar! That keeps dice behind the counter!

I am going to get my character shot because he doesn’t combat good, but we’re boarding a villainous vessel we disabled last session and nobody else in the group speaks Psychic Space Commie.

brian

Welll, on the topic of RPGs, I heartily recommend Apocalypse World and it’s descendants to anyone interested in such things. Apocalypse World is still my personal favorite, but Dungeon World is the most popular and well known one. Check ’em out if you haven’t heard of them! I’d say more, but I’d go on too long. 🙂

Moocow
Moocow

Total shameless plug but if you’d like something soothing with cool music, check out my latest story review about Transistor:

That game is art, I tell you, ART!

Nice! After joining the scene I quickly learned that “BDSMer = sex nerd” and I was ever so pleased :P. I’ve spent this week recovering from THE massive BDSM street fair that happened recently (I don’t want to give away too many clues to my location but you probably know exactly what I’m talking about)

EJ (The Other One)

Oh, you went, Moocow? How was it?

And yes, Transistor is totally art.

Ooh, RPG conversation. *pricks up ears*

epitome of incomprehensibility

One of my friends made a new song – in his vimeo videos he often does a little “making-of” at the beginning so you can hear the different instruments separately and see how he makes some of the recording effects. (This is pretty chill, calming music, but he does a bunch of different styles.)

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Jackie – thanks for the story! I think a rather apathetic vampire plus a sort of 28 Days Later scenario is an interesting mix. It intrigued me that the vampire was calling people “it” and I wondered is he the kind of vampire that used to be a person, or some kind of always-a-vampire creature?

(I still can’t figure out how to navigate Tumblr though. Are there forward and back buttons, or is every post once you click on it sort of in a world of its own? Apologies for my stupidity in that regard.)

leftwingfox

There’s been some good news here. Positive resolution to company problems.

Basically, new investors kicked out the CEO for mismanagement and, after making noise about employee ownership, tried to sell us to another company. Local management had no faith in the new potential owner, so they made a counteroffer, then proceeded to work with the new CEO, getting rid of the waste and bringing us closer to projected profitability. New CEO manages to alienate everyone badly enough that the investors pulled the offer, and then sold it to us employees instead.

So we’re still alive, looking forward to profitability in the near future, and no longer worried about flaky bosses. Hooray!

Moocow
Moocow

@EJ

It was awesome! HUGE crowds, lots of gorgeous people of all genders. I had a bunch of friends working in various booths so I tried to find most of them. Got to see some pretty spectacular scenes and then we helped host an ‘aftercare party’ at one of the venues. Everyone was pretty exhausted by that point but it was a good time nonetheless!

Next time I will not be making the mistake of buying food at the fair. Way too expensive and there were much more deviant things to spend money on anyways.

EJ (The Other One)

Glad you had a good time! It sounds awesome.

There’s no food quite as good as deviant food though. In my experience the incidence of good cooks amongst kinksters is vastly better than amongst the population as a whole.

Perhaps it’s just that the sort of people for whom sex involves three hours of hard work and lots of instruments, take the same attitude towards their food.

Orion

brian,

Is there a specific AW descendant you would recommend? I’ve had good results playing Apocalypse World, but I feel that that game works as well as it does (or at all really) for extremely specific reasons that most copycat designers don’t understand. (Honestly, I’m not convinced Vincent Baker understands why AW works)

I’ve been super disappointed with all the other *world “hacks” and with off-brand games inspired by it (looking at you, blades in the dark).

Orion

*all the others that I have read rather.

contrapangloss

Hm… I’ve only done pathfinder and a tiny bit of Dresden, so RPGs are still pretty fascinating.

I thank dog that I didn’t encounter them in high school or while working on my undergrad, because they are nerdy and wonderful and somewhat ridiculous.

EJ (The Other One)

I’m not a fan of Apocalypse World. I feel that the great asshole savant of game design, Frank Trollman, was pretty much dead on when he said that the winning move in Apocalypse World-alikes is to do nothing at all, which is antithetical to people having fun.

tcwill00
tcwill00

@Katz, so far we’ve spent three or four sessions designing our ship, and we finally got paying work, and I rolled to calculate a jump, and bricked it, and we ended up jumping three times as far as our max jump.

Then we ran into a random villain ship, beat them handily, and we’re busy boarding them. There’s a possibility that the CO can get into our brains.

brian

EJ: I’d like to hear more about why you think AW doesn’t work. It’s my favorite RPG since Unknown Armies!

Orion: I can’t really recommend any specific descendants as, while I own many, I’ve only actually run AW itself. DW is very successful though, so clearly a lot of people are finding it works well. I’m just not a huge fan of that kind of standard D&Dish theme, which is the only reason I haven’t run it.
Monsterhearts is very well regarded, and I’ve have run it if I had friends more into the “teenage monster sex drama” concept.

Incidentally, Vx is currently working on a second edition of AW which I am eagerly awaiting (and already using some of the rules from in my current AW game).

I had to quit my RPG group after one of the other characters decided to attack mine in the middle of combat because we went a different way in a dungeon than he wanted to go, and then the GM wanted us to settle our dispute in-character. Apparently everyone else in the group wanted to have a campaign where everyone constantly squabbles and that’s called “character development.”

EJ (The Other One)

@brian, I could rant for a while, but in brief: AW’s quantum-world convention simply doesn’t work, in my experience. It allows more experienced and confident players to run roughshod over newer and less confident ones, and makes information gathering a risky activity rather than a beneficial one.

Good call on Unknown Armies though. That’s probably my favourite RPG ever. The two campaigns of it that I’ve run were an absolute blast and I would salivate over the chance to play it again.

@katz: Run us something. Or get one of us to run something.

contrapangloss

@Katz,

Ouch. That’s obnoxious. 🙁

@katz: Run us something.

Been thinking about this Legend campaign where the planet has blown up and now it’s a bunch of floating islands. Or this Indiana Jones-style Savage Worlds campaign where you explore Hell. Not very far along planning either one, though.

Drezden
Drezden

Since we’re talking RPGs and I don’t really have anyone around to play, I’ll toss out a few ideas.

A group of modern day mages wake up in an abandoned warehouse with a ritually murdered corpse and gaping holes in their memories.

Small town miners have unearthed what appear to be the gates of a long forgotten undercity. Emissaries and explorers are now swarming the once quiet village hoping to get a piece of the action.

Something Star Wars themed: A group of smugglers working the fringes of Imperial space

The homeless population in a large city is suddenly in rapid decline. The last group looking into it suddenly disappeared, so you’ve been called in to solve both mysteries.