kitties no trolls allowed off topic open thread

Open Thread for non-personal stuff, Sept. 2015 Amazing Cat Box Edition

Some boxes are pretty amazing.
Some boxes are pretty amazing.

I know, this pic is a little old. But I still think it’s funny!

Anyway, here’s a somewhat belated Open Thread for Non-Personal Stuff. As always, Open Threads are CLOSED to MRAs/trolls, etc.

Katherine XII
Katherine XII

So hey, this indie game that I originally heard about either on here or on one of the (Misandry Central) links on the sidebar is getting real close to its launch date. Not really sure how to post fancy links, but Aerranis (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334030576) is a game I’ve had my eye on since it first crossed my radar. Has anyone else been watching its development at all? It has some complicated feminist/queer themes that I haven’t *quite* been able to pin down (I’ve done a bit of writing for the game and some troubleshooting work, but don’t know everything yet about the ‘big picture’ yet). So yeah, it’s on my mind ^.^

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
sn0rkmaiden

What do people think about this episode concerning the woman who posted a sexist email she received via LinkedIn via twitter?

What I don’t understand is why British newspapers like the Daily Mail and Telegraph are going all out to crucify this woman, all she did was complain about someone on twitter.

Zentrails

So this happened. White MRA type threatens sexual violence and lynching at black trans blogger. But! Then! His super public meltdown last night got screencapped and sent to his employer (NY Life Insurance). Today… he is no longer employed. Is it possible to overdose on schadenfreude?
(All screen grabs and whatnot are still on Kat Blacque’s Facebook page if you want to see him cry about white privilege, call her “it”, the t-slur, and go completely off the rails. Special appearance by his sister who asks, “Why can’t we all just get along?”)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sn0rkmaiden

In the public sphere it’s just the old “can’t you even give a woman a compliment now?” thing we’re all familiar with.

However there’s a more serious professional issue. As barristers we have two types of client. The “lay client” is the actual punter i.e. the person who needs our professional services and who we act for. The solicitor is however also a client; our “professional client”.

We owe a duty of confidentiality to our clients. What the chap said may have been out of order but she has stated that she thought the public interest in publicising his email outweighed his right to confidentiality. That’s a big no no at the Bar.

The duty of confidentiality is considered important because clients need to be able to instruct us with complete candour knowing that any communications are legally privileged. That covers any aspect of the communications.

It’s not just so clients can say stuff about the case; it covers everything. She was perfectly within her rights to email him back and state she found his comments unacceptable but not to breach confidentiality.

That’s why she’s now toxic within the profession; whatever the provocation and her motives.

reallyfriendly
reallyfriendly

As a hardcore gamer here let me introduce some awesome non-sexist games (if you disagree, please reply) for people to enjoy!

For Mobile Gamers:

This War of Mine

Trigger warning: Game deals primarily with survival during wartimes – characters you control may engage in morally questionable ways. Depicted violence is non-gory.

An incredible game that got recently implemented for mobile platforms, this is my favorite version of the game as the touchscreen mechanics are very well implemented and the game works wonderfully in short spurts of playtime. You control a group of survivors trying to survive in a warzone. You are always in a vulnerable state, lacking resources and under threat of raids. The game escalates as you progress further so don’t be dismayed if your early attempts fail – you will learn as you fall.

Of sidenote interest the development supported actual charity War Child:

with a percentage of its sales and held a driver. A round of applause for the indie developer please!

—-

Rebuild 3

One of my favorite zombie-based games out there! Instead of focusing on combat this game takes a management style approach to creating a safe haven for survivors in a zombie apocalypse. You have to recruit survivors, continually deal with the zombie presence around your haven, deal with other human factions that may or may not be friendly, research, train, scavenge and so on. This latest iteration has a staggering number of things to work on and honestly it works best on a tablet. Every survivor has individual stories with RPG elements incorporated to suck you into the game!

Highly thematically driven with a ton of text to read and a wonderfully animated style to the game. Very low on visual gore and violence (it is of course implied in the actions your survivors take).

Pandemic
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pandemic-the-board-game/id700793523?mt=8 – Apple
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.f2zentertainment.pandemic&hl=en – Andriod

And to round it off! When I found out that one of my personal favorite board games was having a mobile app created for it my head exploded 8p. Honestly speaking this game works best when played solo but it is still plenty of fun if you can play this as a group.

It works wonderfully as a mobile game and you also get the added bonus of having all the vital information (like discard piles, player draw piles, all the cards that players hold) easily accessible, which does make it easier to play than the original – somewhat.

You can adjust the difficulty of the game but I always play on heroic and burn myself 8p

Also an incredible tutorial that covers all the aspects of the game very quickly! A manual is also included if you want to go through that as well.

Easily one of the best board game mobile games out there.

If I get the time later I may do one for PC and console games. Enjoy!

Bananananana dakry
Bananananana dakry

I am watching piles of fuzz on the Tinykittens Livestream. One supermama cat, five kittens of her own, and seven adopted from a feral mama who’s been released to the wild. It’s like watching a cute, fuzzy afterparty. Dreamworks is also helping sponsor because they love them some kittens, which ups Dreamworks lots in my estimation.

raysa
raysa

Wow, you guys know your games.

I was all impressed with myself for playing boom beach, lol. I started about a week ago, and I have been all WOOHOOEY I BE GAMIN’ NOW.

And, I suck at it. But it’s fun. At least, it is when it isn’t frustrating.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Interesting article about one of the many groups of women taking on ISIS:

Paradoxical Intention

@raysa: I get that way about the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. XD

Also, the DLC for that, Afterbirth, is coming out for pre-order soon, and it’s going to be released on October 31st.
comment image

raysa
raysa

Paradoxal intention,

I Googled binding of Isaac, and, it’s about a ninja baby with an overly religious mother? Do I understand that correctly?

I may have to give that a look.

Captain Kei
Captain Kei

A lot of my feminist friends have been taking a disquietingly transphobic take on things lately, and it’s upsetting.

Paradoxical Intention

@raysa: It’s very much based off of the story of Isaac in the Bible. Isaac’s mother is highly religious, hears the voice of God telling her her son, Isaac, is corrupt, so she takes away his toys, his clothes, and locks him in his room, but then God says “nah, you gotta kill him because he’s still corrupt”, and he jumps into the basement to avoid death.

So you run around the basement (and even go into your mom’s womb to kill her heart, down to Sheol (hell), or The Cathedral (heaven).) And you cry enemies to death, and pick up items that could make your tears more lethal, or make them shoot faster, etc.

Rebirth is a polished version of the original Binding of Isaac, and it’s DLC, Wrath of the Lamb. It’s got a new engine, and the creators added a bunch of stuff that the original creator wanted to add to the original game, but couldn’t due to limitations involving Flash, which is what he used to create the original game.

It’s a rogue-like game that’s infinitely re-playable, since every run is randomized, and there’s a host of various characters you can unlock (the only one I’m having trouble with is Samson, who you have to go two floors without taking damage to unlock him, and the only one I don’t want is The Lost, which is a character where if you get hit once, your entire run is over), and each of them start off with different stats and items.

There’s also the headcannon going around that Isaac himself is a trans character, because one of the splash screens between floors shows Isaac getting a wig that looks like Magdalene’s wig and happily wearing it (until he’s teased by another kid), so people have come to the conclusion that Maggy was Isaac until Isaac transitioned, at least that’s what I think. (It might also explain Isaac’s mom suddenly hearing the voice of God and saying he’s “corrupted”, but, again, that’s just my headcannon that a few other people share.)

There’s also just the theory that all the characters are just different versions of Isaac, rather than individual characters, but that’s all just theory. Nothing’s been proven. :/

Also, in Rebirth, we got Eden as a new character, and they technically don’t have a gender and they start off with random items every time.

I DIDN’T KNOW REBUILD 3 CAME OUT I LOVE REBUILD.

reallyfriendly
reallyfriendly

@Pandapool IT IS BETTER!!! YOU WILL DIE OF HAPPINESS!!!

@raysa Welcome to being a gamer! We embrace you with loving arms, before WE CRUSH YOUR SPIRIT in multiplayer!

BritterSweet

For the past few days I’ve been preoccupied with an article and its looooooong comment thread (like, thousands of comments, and I’m still not halfway through it yet!) about emotional labor and how it’s pretty much expected of women and girls to be the free supplier of it. Basically, what upsets “us” is not sending birthday cards, but the fact that “we” hold all the burden of keeping the family together and it’s an important but thankless job.

Warning: may ruin your plans for the week and tempt you to ask for an invitation to Crone Island.

Paradoxical Intention

reallyfriendly | September 11, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Just remember: Games don’t make us violent. Lag does.

ultimateprotagonistnerd

“Just remember: Games don’t make us violent. Lag does.”

Lag, I wanna be the guy (and its ilk of aggravatingly difficult games), and losing in NFL Blitz at the arcade are the things that make me violent. So as long as I kick ass and the game loads properly (and isn’t nearly impossible) nobody will have any problems.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

I played The Binding of Isaac for about fifteen minutes before I came to my senses and realised that I’m terrible at bullet hell games.

It looks like it would be amazingly fun for people who have reflexes better than those of a startled goat (which I do not) and who have the patience to endlessly reengage with something until they learn all the ins and outs of it (which I do not.)

On the other hand, I’ve seen Youtube runs of it which look amazing fun, so kudos if you can do it.

@brittersweet One thing that continues to baffle me is how, contrary to how ‘history’ and ‘science’ work, women’s history and feminist ideas seem to be cyclical rather than progressive; we seem to reinvent the wheel every 20-30 years. Which is to say that you’ll find this book interesting:

and of course no one’s ever heard of it.

@Pandapool IT IS BETTER!!! YOU WILL DIE OF HAPPINESS!!!

I’d hope so for $15. That’s $15 more than my monthly game budget.

Moocow
Moocow

@ultimateprotagonistnerd

I made it to the final boss of I wanna be the guy

And I couldn’t finish it. I was like NOPE! NO MORE!

Paradoxical Intention

EJ (The Other One) | September 12, 2015 at 12:04 am

There’s three big LPers on YouTube and Twitch who do Isaac runs on the regular that I know of:

Bisnap, who is very analytical and can tell you all the numbers behind the items, and is super thorough about his plays.

CobaltStreak, who is known for breaking the game in the best ways. I saw a run where he had a rune called Jera (Jera duplicates everything on the ground) and an item called Blank Card (mimics the effects of a tarot card or rune once every four rooms of combat), and he just kept duplicating the items in the shop over and over again, until the entire floor was full of nothing but vibrating consumables.

and, my favorite, Northernlion, who isn’t really analytical, but he goes on interesting tangents and is just fun to watch.

If you don’t want to play Isaac, but still want to learn, or you want to learn and get better for your own plays, I’d reccomend these guys.

Of course, they also do other games too. Northernlion is currently doing a playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas, and he’s doing some daily stuff with Nuclear Throne.

Paradoxical Intention

Captain Kei | September 11, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner, but if you want to talk, we’re here.

My advice: Don’t forget you can always cut ties with them if you feel like it. You shouldn’t feel obligated to stay friends with them if they upset you.

Besides, if their feminism doesn’t include trans people, then their feminism isn’t that great anyways. : P

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Today I am going to a pro-immigrant rally in London. All my lefty friends (well, those who didn’t have other plans and could be bothered) will be going, and we’ll hopefully have the typical fun-day-out that demonstrations can be. I hope the weather’s good.

The last demo I was at (counter-picketing a fascist group) got hijacked by pro-settler Israelis. Hopefully that won’t be the case today; I can’t think of any despicable groups who’d be on our side in this one, which is probably for the best.

I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Everybody’s taking about Isaac, and I’m just sitting here drawing Pokemon sprites in Mario Maker.

@SFHC

Are those ghost types you’re drawing? In scented markers?

sn0rkmaiden

@EJ, I’m going on the refugee solidarity demo too. Want to meet up?

sn0rkmaiden

@Alan Robertshaw,

I thought her decision to post their email exchange on Twitter without redacting his name was a bad idea too, more so when you put it in legal context.

But I do think his remarks to her highly unprofessional, and I’m stunned that a national newspaper, even one as crappy as the Daily Fail, is gunning for her like this, and using words like ‘feminazi’, surely even Fox News doesn’t use language like that?

OK, I’ve been sucked into Brittersweet’s metafilter megathread, and it is fascinating reading. I’ve been thinking about writing something about what I’ve called the ‘Sherlock effect’–men get praised/considered extraordinary for doing something women are expected to do as a matter of course–is anyone familiar with any writing (aside from anecdotes and examples) that already exists about this?

Robjec
Robjec

Cam someone please tell me who Katie (or Kate maybe?) Is and why she is an overlord?

Spindrift
Spindrift

@Robjec

Katie comes from a comment left by a troll who said something along the line of “I was talking to your friend Katie about X earlier”, somehow assuming that cause this mysterious Katie seemed to be a feminist we must all know her personally.

Since then Katie’s become an inside joke here, often referenced in “My feminist friend Katie said X” sentences. If you’re a feminist then Katie’s pretty much whoever you want them to be, basicly. Whether it’s your close friend, or the secret dictator who controls the feminist hivemind.
That’s my impression, anyway.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@skiriki

European88?… THAT’S THE PHILOSOPHY OF RAPE GUY.

Holy shit, breaking news indeed. I think the FBI is about to solve a few hundred unsolved rapes and serial murders. o.O;;

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Serial rapes and murders, even. They’re both serial. Cereal. I need food.

Captain Kei
Captain Kei

@Paradoxical Intention
Thank you. It started with a particularly outspoken one of my friends who considers herself a radical feminist, but now it seems that she’s managed to convince practically all of our mutual friends that trans women are “men invading women’s spaces” or that they’re appropriating womanhood. I think I’m going to have to cut off ties with some of them, but I’m too close to a couple of them to do that, and it’s pretty awful to hear them being bigoted and claiming they’re doing so in the name of feminism.

I don’t think there’s a happy solution. Thanks for listening to me vent, though, and for the good advice.

Ellesar
Ellesar

Captain Kei – I do not know radfems in person, but have frequented radfem blogs. I have left most of them because of this. It is rather ironic as Andrea Dworkin herself was in no way anti trans. But I don’t usually bother pointing this out – if they do not accept trans inclusivity is possible within radical feminism I am certainly not going to argue with them!

I think you are right – you will have to cut ties with them, but you could try arguing the Dworkin line first – see how they take it!

weirwoodtreehugger

Skirikki,
Did you email David? That’s probably the kind of thing I’d want to write about and I don’t know if he reads all the comments.

Some of the people in that thread are optimistic that this means online threats will be taken more seriously in the US now. Unfortunately, I disagree. This was taken seriously because he threatened a 9-11 memorial. That kind of thing and threats against law enforcement have always been taken seriously. I don’t think threats against people for being a woman, POC, gay or trans are going to be prioritized anytime soon. Not to be a cynic, but…

At least the internet is a little better place now though. It looks like he had hundreds of identities. All of them vile in some way. Praise be to Katie!

weirwoodtreehugger

Um. I meant it’s the thing he’d want to write about. Did I just accidentally prove that we are all David socks and he doesn’t really have any readers or commenters 🙂

@skiriki @SFHC

Ha-ha! Yes! That is good news.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@sn0rkmaiden:

Sorry, I didn’t see the message until after the event. It was awesome. I have so many photos. I was a little dismayed to see Billy fucking Bragg on the stage at the end, but everything else was downright awesome and it was a great day out.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Robjec:

It happened while I was lurking, just before I started posting.

I remember it being more that the troll said “My feminist friend Katie said X”, as if that makes X something that is automatically entirely true and beyond reproach. Presumably he thought that because one feminist said it – or is alleged to say it – we are therefore unable to argue.

The joke was therefore that Katie must be the empress of all feminists, and anything she said is holy writ. It sort of grew from there.

cupisnique
cupisnique

@Bananananana dakry

This kitten cam is making my day thanks for posting! 🙂

I’m away from home doing fieldwork in Peru and miss my little fuzzbutt so I’ll take all the kitty overload I can get!

skiriki

@weirwoodtreehugger — I dropped a line in Twitter couple of hours ago, but I can e-mail it as well.

Really, the whole thing boggles my mind.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@skiriki:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahaha.

Haha.

Snerk.

Hahahaha,

Ha.

Hahaha.

Aha.

Haaaaaa.

I thought my day wasn’t going to get any better after going to a really good mass demonstration today, but… hahaha. Oh man. This is schadenfreude at its finest.

skiriki

Even more fun is how furious backpedaling has begun and erasure of history and loud denials! 😀

Paradoxical Intention

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs | September 12, 2015 at 7:37 am
@skiriki

European88?… THAT’S THE PHILOSOPHY OF RAPE GUY.

Oh sure, they arrest him when he threatens a 9/11 memorial, but not when he runs a website dedicated to teaching men how to “correctively” rape women.

leftwingfox

@reallyfriendly: ARMELLO ARMELLO ARMELLO ARMELLO!

Sorry, just REALLY excited about this game right now. Four player online boardgame, with multiplayer and offline vs ai option. Rat, Wolf, Bear and Rabbit clans must depose the Lion king who is corrupted by the Rot. Quest, fight players, find treasure, and save the kingdom from corruption.

There’s male and female options for all four clans, and the female versions aren’t sexualized. Online play has restricted chat options, so no aside from the occasional snide “oops” or “you’ll pay for that” coming from a player portrait, you won’t get nailed by harassment.

The art is also adorable and awesome.

Monzach
Monzach

@Paradoxical Intention

I’m so glad to see another Northernlion fan on here! O/

Up, down, to the side, welcome to the lion pride. ^_^

weirwoodtreehugger

What’s wrong with Billy Bragg?

1 2 3 4