announcements pledge drive

We Hunted the Mammoth 2.0 is coming! Add your suggestions for improvements.

Hard at work, or hardly working?
Hard at work, or hardly working?

We’re working behind the scenes to bring you a new, improved We Hunted the Mammoth — at least as far as the design of the site goes. As I think I mentioned earlier, I’m not doing anything radical. The aim is to streamline and declutter the site and to make it easier to navigate and use.

Here’s what to expect:

• Less-cluttered sidebar
  • Less-cluttered main bar
  • Cleaner, clearer design overall
  • Better navigation between pages of comments
  • Buttons so you can blockquote, etc without HTML in comments. No more need to fear the blockquote monster!

Someone also suggested it would be better to do “nofollow” links for MRA sites rather than using donotlink, so I’ll be doing that.

I will now be able to use WordPress plugins, so I can add other features/options as well. I don’t want to add them willy nilly, but if they can add some useful functionality without cluttering stuff up I’m open to suggestions.

Any other features/plugins you want added? Upvotes and downvotes for comments perhaps? Polls in the sidebar?

Any stuff that gets in the way that you want moved or removed?

Any issue that you have with the design or functionality of the blog now that you think could be improved?

Let me know what you think, from your feelings about font size to possible WordPress plugins to look at.

Oh, and again: this redesign is costing me some $$, so if you’re a fan of the site and haven’t already donated, please consider donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

Tom
Tom

1) Add upvotes, but do not add downvotes.
2) Add a button that lets you reply to a person directly, so that your comment appears below their and to the right (like on youtube), as this helps the conversation break into separate threads. Otherwise it’s muddled.

Notacatpersonbutsowhat
Notacatpersonbutsowhat

Great kitten pic. My request is, more kitten pix.

LG.
LG.

Hey Dave, thought this might be of interest:

…especially if juxtaposed with the Pokémon tourney guys.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Threaded comments? No. Nooooo, NO! A thousand times NO.

I do think a 5 minute window for editing is OK. Even with preview it’s easy to miss a stupid typo. Reading one’s own writing is a real trap. There are ways to get around it for longer writing, but a 5 minute chance to fix dopey mixups would be nice for commenting here.

Falconer

“Kittens! Moar kittens!” they bellowed and brayed
And the trolls way down in the thread were afraid

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Another big Darth Vader (in rubbish re-edit) NOOOOOOOO!!! for threaded comments.

They’re a nightmare. It’s impossible to keep track of a thread; especially when it goes to multiple pages.

I don’t think you need up and down votes. Just setting the ‘F1’ key to auto insert “Great point as always Al” should suffice. 😉

J^3 (@JoeKlemmer)

I don’t know about anyone else but I really need some kind of notification feature for replies to my comments. I don’t have the wherewithal to monitor the comments (can barely read posts within 24 hours) so knowing if someone replies to me would help. Especially if I make a booboo and need to know. 🙂

pendraegon
pendraegon

Is there a way to add a button that will let us shoot robot spiders through the internet at trolls?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Also hi, PolicyOfMadness! I hadn’t seen you for a while and was missing you.

Hi Other EJ. I’ve been having Issues. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. It’s normal for me this time of year.

1) Add upvotes, but do not add downvotes.

Even upvotes-only causes problems. Any kind of voting system turns into a cliquish popularity contest that is alienating to new visitors, and it frequently leads to a competition to see who can make the wittiest witticism. Neither of those things is conducive to thoughtful discussion.

I actually have to come out in opposition to comment editing of all stripes. There’s something charming and honest about your first effort being written in stone, and I think it leads to people thinking more carefully about what they want immortalized. Something is lost when you can go back and revise your words, even if you have only a limited window to do so.

Parse The Potatoes

On the donotlink/nofollow topic, I prefer donotlink. Seeing that as the address, for me, means ‘donotclick’. It helps separate out the “Here’s somebody’s good writing” links from the “Yes, somebody actually wrote this pile of hatecrap” links.

I’m also a fan of numbered comments – they make it easier to indicate which comment you’re replying to, without having to resort to nested comments.

And finally, on the edit/no edit question, the best way I’ve seen it done is that, if yours is the last comment in a thread, you have X minutes to edit it. If somebody else comments after you, your comment is now locked (even if you still had time left on the edit clock).

spacelawn

If there is someway to make gif posting and quoting easier, i would be up for that.

ramen
ramen

My screen keeps bouncing back up the page to (I think) show me an ad. At its worst I can hardly scroll down at all, like I’m rubber-banded to the ad. Is that something that could go away? Or is it an unavoidable ad-artifact? Or is it just me?

I don’t mean this as a criticism. It’s a measure of how much I like it here that not even the most intrusive ad-tactic I’ve ever experienced keeps me away.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

In that case I shall wish you all the patience and fortitude in the world on your journey back to fineness; and should you need a friend I would be happy to lend an ear.

It’s already here; use the tag. Sir Tim Berners-Lee added it to the original code for HTML and it’s been here ever since. Unfortunately it would also let trolls shoot robot spiders at us, due to the symmetrical nature of the TCP/IP protocol, so wordpress disables it by default.

I believe the old Angelfire sites were the last largescale hosting provider where the spider tags still worked, but I might be wrong.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Ack. My joke was ruined by the html mammoth and since we have no edit button I must respond here. That first line should be:

It’s already here; use the tags.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

*sigh.

It’s already here, use the [spiders][/spiders] tags.

I would like to change my vote to be in favour of an edit button.

Falconer

I know that when I was part of a community that had likes, I gave myself sads because while a lot of my comments were liked, there were comments that were liked a lot more, and I felt like I wasn’t up to snuff.

So no likes or voting, please and thank you.

ramen
ramen

Rrgh, this is what happens when I don’t read the whole conversation first. My point was made already, but more thoroughly, and with more technical understanding.

In spite of which, I agree with the no-editing idea. In an ignorant, untutored layperson kind of way.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Can we send spiders to ourselves? I need more for my army of doom collection of cuteness.

Verily Baroque
Verily Baroque

Some thoughts in no particular order:

– One button to jump straight to the first comment of a post would be great.

– Adding numbering of comments.

– Please no up/down vote system. Like others have said, it tends to inspire people to focus more on witticism instead of quality of content. If it turns out everyone else wants a voting system, then I’m seconding Tom regarding no downvote function while upvoting would be possible.

– Less cluttered layout for the site would be great. I’m still not sure what half of the things in the side bar and on the bottom of the page are or why they are on this site. Alternatively some explanation/navigation FAQ would be a good idea.

pendraegon
pendraegon

Man you think those tags would have been included in at least one of my development classes. I knew I paid too much in tuition.

And yes you can Scented, but only because I know my army of trained attack guinea pigs will prevail.

Some sort of username
Some sort of username

This may seem like an odd request BUT:

Has anyone here dared step foot on 4Chan? Posts on their have a handy little group of links at the tops of them that list “replies to this post”. You can hover over them to preview posts that’ve made a response to whatever you’re looking at or click them to jump down the page to the reply itself. I really like this system and it’s about the only good thing about that site. Just wondering if it’d be at all possible here.

I second no voting stuff, we don’t need that kind of crap here, speaking as a newer commenter.

pecunium

I am against up/downvoting, in principle, and given the nature of things I fear it would give MRA/PUA/assholes an easy thing to latch onto when trying to sow Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

I’d like to see a longer, “recent comments” bar, pehaps a link to the past 1,000?

pendraegon
pendraegon

@Some sort of username Not sure if wordpress would support that systems. 4chan started as a discussion board rather than a blog type set up with comments. Wouldn’t be a bad idea if it could though.

I actually used to spend a lot of time on 4chan back when it was just an anime discussion board, I ended up leaving once it started devolving.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Nth-ing the no voting of any kind. It’s like human beings are hard-wired to rank themselves against each other, and if there’s a quantitative way to do so suddenly any differences in the ranking will lead to misery.

Nth-ing support for temporary comment editing as well, and a who’s who (I didn’t realize the difference between Roosh and Roissy for the longest time).

For comment pages, is it possible to have one of those numbered navigation things (where it has something like “first prev … 3 4 5 6 7 … next last”)? That’s solve a lot of comment page issues. It’d also give a sense for how many comments there are, which would be neat.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Nth-ing support for temporary comment editing, as well, because that’d probably the best way to fix random little typos that your brain hides until your comment flies out into the world.

Some sort of username
Some sort of username

@kirbywarp

Uh, you… already nthed suppost for that. I’m also gonna throw in support for that too.

Also VERY highly support the Who’s Who of the Manosphere™ idea, it’d pretty useful for remembering which asshat is which.

me and not you
me and not you

Is there a way to see what the edits were? I know some sites let you see what was changed. Ravelry.com has a kind of unofficial policy (or did) that people would do ETA: (“edited to add”) if someone changed something, since it indicates that a post was edited, though on heated convos there was lots of screengrabbing (you could also delete posts). It might be a good way to avoid the “PC meltdowns” when someone says something unintentionally —-ist, and they could just go kill the comment and say something like “sorry, made an inappropriate comment, removed” or something. It would be a good way to show at least some effort towards fixing their language.

Moggie
Moggie

I agree with anti-vote sentiment. It can lead to people chasing popularity, which is often not a good thing. I write as someone who got over a thousand votes for a dick joke comment at the Guardian, so please don’t tempt me: the results wouldn’t be pretty!

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@some sort of username:

That was just a joke, since I had a typo in my comment supporting an edit ability for fixing typos. 😛

I don’t think we should be able to edit comments at all, even if it’s only temporary. It would have to be a very short window of time to prevent trolls from editing their comments. A preview button will be best, or maybe some system that inserts HTML into the post for you and maybe highlights unclosed tags?

Verily Baroque
Verily Baroque

I also think it would be better if there was no way to edit comments. The ability to edit or remove comments would just make trolling too easy.

Preview function might work instead. Or if editing has to be possible, could the editing window be something like one or two minutes? That’s long enough to fix a typo, but hopefully not long enough for anyone to actually reply to the unedited comment.

Additionally, please keep the “first comment automatically goes into moderation” policy. (Speaking of which, why am I in moderation again? What did I do?)

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

I think a 10-20% increase in puppies would go especially far to improve the overall experience! Kittens are wonderful and I like them a lot, but not seeing puppies here gives me the sads. 😉

You know, I kind of agree with this. As long as everyone has a good attitude about typos and the like. A preview button and easier markup tools would get rid of most of the problems, anyway.

WRT threading and upvotes: Not only does the community here traditionally oppose them, but we actually consider the absence of those features a plus. Reddit and YouTube both have comment threading and upvotes. ‘Nuff said.

quantumscale

Nth-ing comment preview, better comment navigation, and more puppies

Shadow
Shadow

Not a programmer so I don’t know how viable this is but, if there’s a way to edit by adding to posts rather than changing what’s already there that would be great for those times when someone steps in it. That way they can just add an apology/retraction to the post so newcomers that see the post also see that it’s been addressed. That would help with unintentional pile-ons

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I sometimes fantasize about a “Recent Necros” sidebar, for new comments on articles where the previous comment’s timestamp was more than 1 month ago. Trolls often sneak obnoxious comments onto old articles, which can drop unnoticed off the “Recent Comments” sidebar if there’s a vigorous discussion going on elsewhere.

Also nthing the support for a Preview button, not just for edits but for accidental posts. I’ve lost count of how many times the cat has stepped on the Post Comment button while I was in the middle of a sent

Wetherby
Wetherby

There’s a forum I hang out in which lets you edit your posts invisibly for 30 minutes after posting, and then for a further hour with an “Edited at x:xx” timestamp – but 90 minutes after you made the original post it becomes permanently locked. This has generally worked pretty well, and you can always quote contentious posts if you don’t trust their authors not to tweak them afterwards.

Paradoxical Intention

Quinn | August 25, 2015 at 4:44 am
One suggestion i’d have is relaunching the web store with new tee shirt designs. I had a look at the store recently, and it mostly seemed to be “manboobz” era stuff so I didn’t get one. If there were updated T shirts i’d happily buy one 🙂

AHEM. YES. I am a graphic designer who has experience with making designs for shirts and things (see: my redbubble store. [/shameless self promotion] and I interned for a screenprinting business so I know how the process works in meatspace as well), so if David would like to make new shirts and things, I’d be happy to lend any expertise I have with the process. (And my copy of Adobe Illustrator.)

And, to further get your attention: have a kitten looking professional.

Newt | August 25, 2015 at 5:17 am
A “preview comment” button would let people fix markup if they get it wrong first time, overcoming the blockquote monster. However, a button to reply-with-quote would usually be superior as it can include a link back to the original comment for context.

I love the idea of a preview comment button! That sounds like it would be the best way to not only make sure everything works, but also makes it so we don’t have to worry about trolls editing their comments.

booburry

If you change the ads I will definitely turn off adblock. My phone has very limited adblock and video ads just start playing randomly. That a. wastes data for no reason and b. startles me every time(I realize this isn’t your fault)! I wish ad companies would realize irritating people doesn’t make them want to give them money.
Also, not sure if its possible for you, but some places have a “membership” thing where you donate monthly and get ad-free viewing, so they still get money. I would be interested in something like that but …seems like it might be complicated.
I’m sure whatever you come up with will be great and even if it totally sucks I’ll still be here everyday anyhow. 😀

isidore13
isidore13

Will the editing plugin also alert readers that comment was edited?

marinerachel
marinerachel

Will you be hiring those kittens

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I tend to use the recent comments as an indicator for which threads are busy, because I tend to want to go to the posts that are active (rather than posts that have had a lot of comments previously but now aren’t active). Therefore, I don’t personally see the use of the recent popular widget.

The recent posts widget is useful to me though, since it’s an easy way to jump around to recent posts which tend to still be active, as opposed to going back to the main page and scrolling.

When there are both, sometimes I get the two confused and start looking at the wrong list.

If there were a longer term measure of popularity (since I think the popularity widget drops off rather quickly), and were more of a ‘greatest hits’ thing, I could see that being generally useful. Maybe if it had the time-span of a month or a year or so.

TL:DR; My vote would be to keep the recent post, ditch the popular posts and replace it with a “greatest hits” thing that used a longer-term metric. Maybe find a way to expand the number of recent comments shown so it’s a little harder for comments on one post to dominate the list.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Rather than list every recent post, would it be possible just to have the last used 10 or so threads and an indicator of the time of the last post to each thread?

That way it might be easier to keep an eye out for what’s new since the last visit.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Alan:

I personally wouldn’t go for it because I can sometimes tell from the recent comment list which comments I’ve already read and which ones are new, so I can jump right to the oldest “new” comment directly from the list. It’s handy. 🙂

Also: your thoughts on recent and popular post widgets? Do I need both? If not, which is more important? How many posts should I list?

I think what people (me at least) really want is to know what posts have had activity since we were here last. For instance, some forums have links for “unread posts since last visit” and “new replies to your posts.”

The sidebar I would find most useful would be a longer list of “recently-commented-upon posts” instead of recent comments, since (as people mentioned) necro’d posts or posts that only got one or two new comments don’t always show up in the top posts and quickly disappear from the most recent comments.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I rarely comment anymore (miss you folks!) but if you don’t mind me butting in anyway:

1) I only ever look at recent comments, never recent or top posts

2) My mistake-prone, phone-typing fingers would love a limited edit function (2 minutes?)

3) When you’ve got some control over ads, could you please watch out for a malicious Android ad that pops up claiming that the reader has a virus on their Android phone, and redirects them to a malicious site? That one made this site unreadable for about a week for me and it gave me the sads.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kirby

The thing with that is, if there have ben more than 15 comments since I last looked I can lose track of which threads have something new.

Now, with my incessant dropping into here where I’m skiving that’s not always a problem; but sometimes I can’t put off my procrastination.

Miss you too, Viscaria!