antifeminism creepy literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogynoir misogyny MRA oppressed white men post contains sarcasm PUA racism reactionary bullshit red pill reddit

Segregation now, segregation forever, declare Red Pill Redditors

Mighty white of you (Screenshot from University of Alabama's Alpha Phi recruitment video.)
Mighty white of you (Screenshot from University of Alabama’s Alpha Phi recruitment video.)

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive is on! If you haven’t already, please consider donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

Yet another reminder that Red Pillers aren’t just insufferable misogynists; they also tend to be racist as hell.

For proof, look no further than this comment from a TOP ENDORSED COMMENTER in the Red Pill subreddit with dozens of upvotes. The topic at hand: that video from a virtually all-white University of Alabama sorority that looked a bit like a recruitment video for the Stepford Wives.

Naturally, the Red Pillocks love the video, especially its unbearable whiteness of being. Don’t cut yourself on the “edgy” racism below.

FLFTW16 31 points 5 days ago ANY group that racially segregates formally or informally has my support. Our liberties are being attacked and chipped away so they must be defended at every opportunity. One fundamental liberty is the freedom of association. Be friends with whomever you wish. Whites are more comfortable around other whites. Newsflash! Blacks have black only fraternities and sororities. Hell they even have black only universities. They self-segregate because it gives them an advantage. Latinos do the same. Some of you might not know this but there are Jewish fraternities as well. There are also what one might call "One percent-er" fraternities, such as Skull and Bones. The rich and powerful prefer to associate with the rich and powerful, so they have barriers of entry that prevent poor losers from gaining access. That's their privilege and liberty and it must be defended. Sheboons and femtards want to gain access so they can do what sheboons and femtards always do: shit all over the place. The only people who protest this group are people so pathetic and malformed that no self-respecting social group would accept them. They are so disgusted by each other that they don't even want to form their own group of outcasts, they prefer to just fling poo at the pretty white girls for being too pretty and too white.

Hey Reddit, you know you can just ban blatant racism. There’s no rule saying you have to provide a platform for the world’s worst shitheads.

Oh, wait, I forgot that Reddit’s key demographic is the world’s worst shitheads. Never mind.

H/T — r/TheBluePill

amandajane5
amandajane5

Some of us are “sun-blonde”s, my hair turns practically white when exposed to extended sunlight, but it grows in mostly a sort of meh-brown – when I lost all of it (I had a coma, serious health problems) it grew back in the same weird rainbow of browns/reds/blondes that I used to dye it to cover. I have two serious blonde streaks, two red ones, two new grey ones now that I’m getting older, frankly, when I leave my hair it’s natural color it looks “unprofessional” or like I’m not trying, because it won’t fix on a single color, but that’s ‘okay’ because it’s both really thin and really fine, so it glows red in places and is so white that you can see right through to my skull in places when I’m in the sun. I own multiple wigs, not because I’ve ever expressed a desire for them or wanted them (or, in fact ever wear them, when I’m not actually literally on stage) but because my mother was sure that I’d be traumatized by losing my hair so kept buying me wigs. My point, many of us who are “natural” blonds have dark roots, because winter happens every year, and we wear hats, and then summer comes and we don’t have roots anymore, because of the not having a hat on, and some of us dye our hair because it looks “weird” and “unprofessional” if we don’t.

Bina
Bina

LOL! I keep getting asked if “the carpet matches the drapes”. Just to confuse people, I tell them it’s linoleum.

GardenGallivant
GardenGallivant

Do they also require the sorority members to all have the same hair style, long, straight with no bangs. The only variation was if their hair parted on the left or right. They are obviously taught to sit with no uncouth sprawl or spread legs so they keep up their image.

I thought the Greek system was going to die out in the 70s but it seems to be stronger instead. While I know some are actually academic I doubt this particular house stresses academic achievement given the picture’s contents. So their video is honest, Alpha Phi is about southern ‘values’ for those with established privileges. No ‘anchor babies’ in this lot exploiting birthright citizenship. I’m sure the majority of members are legacies.

smithshadow

Very OT but the Sad and Rabid Puppies nominations for the Hugo Awards received no awards.

How sad! /s

You know, I understand where these girls are coming from; if I were taught that a woman value was meeting a certain physical standard and I met that standard, I would embrace it, too. I don’t blame them at all; it’s the culture around them that’s at fault.

Hambeast, Social Justice Road Warrior
Hambeast, Social Justice Road Warrior

I started attending college around age 32. The Greek system in the CSU system wasn’t big, but it was there. And it was all the beautiful, young people soliciting pledges.

My grades were good enough to get me into the local chapter of a (er, dunno what to call it; a national “Greek” org for older students, men and women) called Greek Key. Our local chapter was called Alpha Gamma Epsilon or AGE for short >. <

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

My mom and her twin joined a Christian sorority at UCLA back in the late 60’s. I went to community college first and then transferred, but didn’t feel any particular desire to join anything. Random story: when my mom and dad met in college, my dad was considering dropping out to become a full-time pool shark, and mom talked him out of it. Probably for the best since pool sharking isn’t all that reliable for income.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

I dunno. That one in the top left looks like she might not pass the one-drop rule. The hell is up with this miscegenation-friendly sorority????

/s

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

Susan Brownmiller once wrote, “Women are all female impersonators to some degree.” I think these young women are the ones who find female impersonation all too easy, but down the road they may regret having fallen into the trap so easily.

Kat
Kat

@talbotfish

Why are we taking pot shots at these women and not the patriarchal gender roles they’re acting out and not patriarchy itself?

Well said, Talbotfish.

Oliver_C
Oliver_C

Any chance of a post on the Hugo Awards? Suffice to say Theodore Beale haz a sad this morning: a good start to the day.

Moggie
Moggie

Oliver_C, I’ve no doubt Beale will spin this as what he wanted all along. If you listen carefully, you can hear the goalpost engines firing up.

Moggie
Moggie

Let me rephrase that: not what he wanted all along, but still victory. There was no way for VD to lose.

Me, I’m wondering how The Three Body Problem beat The Goblin Emperor and Ancillary Sword for Best Novel.

skiriki

Completely offtopic, but the puppies got smacked with a rolled up newspaper. And yes, man, those goalposts are REALLY running away now.

As tweeted by someone smarter than I, “Puppy position appears to be 1. WE WON! 2. No Award is an unfair cheat. 3. No one cares about your stupid awards. 4. We’ll be back.”

Oliver_C
Oliver_C

The Rabid Puppies are already threatening to set up their own, rival SF awards, which will (they assure us) overtake the Hugos “in 40 years”? Will Beale’s dad be out of prison by then?

Moggie
Moggie

Their own awards? With blackjack, and hookers?

skiriki

Gawd I wish they had done their own award in the first place. That would have saved us a whole lot of trouble.

Yes puppies, PLEASE go and make your own award. I’m serious — that’s the route you should have gone down in the first place.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Wonder if we’re been conditioned to blame women for male created gender roles…and as long as it’s a certain type of woman, fire away,Stepford wives, etc…ha ha ha?
Patriarchy..its the new “feminism”

Pointing out that they all look identical and mocking the whitewashing isn’t the same thing as blaming them and mocking them for it, especially when we can’t address the whitewashing without pointing it out.

Of course, you only ever post when you think you can cajole us into infighting…

muteswan160
muteswan160

I suck a fart out of each one of those hoes asses.

LOL. This comment gives me a deja vu about Uncle Ruckus as school custodian.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jkbAbvlwrg]

Vanir85
Vanir85

– smithshadow

This makes me a happy kitty. Despite those who want progression to stagnate and society to regress, humanity keeps going forward; as does our stories, and our dreams for the future.

delphi_ote
delphi_ote

Capitulating to patriarchy should be uncomfortable. Embracing privilege and remaining ignorant isn’t something to be proud of. Light mocking and ridicule for taking the easy path is appropriate.

Careful. Removing all blame is also removing all agency.

Nitram

Just wanted to share some funny innocence: my 8 year old son watched over my shoulder while I was watching alpha phi video (which made me kinda squirm, but maybe a teachable moment) and after a couple minutes he said “that’s a lot of girls that are the same. That’s weird.” Then during the mascot scene, there’s a black man throwing a football and my son said “there’s a boy who’s not the same!” Lol

LiliVonSchtup
LiliVonSchtup

It’s that whole right-wing libertarian concept of “voluntary association” being twisted around to justify their bigotry, as usual. They certainly enjoy imagining the rest of society the be as hateful and nasty as they are. It doesn’t occur to them that in a truly free society, with oppression eradicated and a more fair distribution of wealth, people would mingle a lot more on their own. Or maybe it does occur to them and they just don’t care.

Jo

This isn’t a huge deal, David, but it would be great if you could avoid giving the Daily Mail additional traffic by linking to stories there. Even by the low standards of the British popular press, the Daily Mail is awful: dodgy on racial issues, sexist, a platform for homophobia and no journalistic ethics whatsoever. Unless a story really hasn’t been reported anywhere else, it’s best to read it elsewhere.

I’m happy to provide links to support all the above claims, although 10 minutes spent browsing the Mail online should provide evidence of most of them.

I don’t blame anyone from outside the UK for not knowing about this, but cutting out Mail links would be appreciated.

weirwoodtreehugger

A big reason this video went viral is because their was a scandal last year about how University of Alabama’s sororities are very homogeneous and they don’t seem to be fond of letting black students in. That they put this out as a recruitment video shows that they learned absolutely nothing. I think mocking the video and those who participated in it is completely called for. Feminism isn’t about women being blameless and having no agency and college is typically the age in which young people start to become much more socially aware. They should have known better.

I didn’t bring up whether they were natural blondes to be judgmental or because I care which ones have natural and which ones have dyed hair. I brought it up because I find it funny that red pillers whine about the misandry of makeup and flattering clothes. They’re outraged by hair that’s dyed red or an unnatural color. Yet they worship blondes without realizing it’s quite often hair dye that they’re worshipping.

I do understand how these women (not girls, they’re adults) are young and were socialized in the Bible Belt and were trained to conform to a narrow ideal of femininity. I do understand and sympathize. What I don’t understand and sympathize with is that they not only made such a homogeneous video, but watched it afterwards and in the wake of being criticized for being racist last year, did not even stop to think that maybe a recruitment video full of identical looking blondes was not going to over well. Mocking the homogeneity of this video is not the same as being catty about someone’s looks.

Jules
Jules

“The Unbearable Whiteness of Being” – the next NY Times bestseller. ;D

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Jo

I used to do legal work for the Sun and NOTW; even the sub editors there looked down on the DM. They used to have competitions up with the best DM headline.

“Bible Code proves asylum seeker link to breast cancer” was one of my favourites.

But then the DM did such sterling, albeit out of character, work with the Stephen Lawrence case. Weird.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

What are the actual demographics of this sorority? If the video accurately reflects that, at least it’s being honest.

I get much more sceptical about organsations that plaster their publicity material with token images of minorities that you wouldn’t actually find within the organisation itself.

I can understand when an organisation is trying to genuinely reach out to people who are under-represented. Then it might be ok to say ‘look, this could be you’; but I think a lot of the time adverts are just there to say “Hey, we’re really diverse. That’s quite fashionable now right? Buy our stuff!”

@Alan

Yeah, the whole Stephen Lawrence thing was a great bit of activism and they’ve done the occasional piece of very solid investigative journalism down the years. Their journalists have won a few Paul Foot awards.

But that’s life, isn’t it? Heroes aren’t perfect and villains don’t twiddle their moustaches. Maybe Paul Elam is kind to animals or something. I still have no hesitation in saying the Mail is, on balance, an awful newspaper that no one who cares about social justice should link to if there’s any alternative.

Nequam
Nequam

“Maybe Paul Elam is kind to animals or something.”

Well, I’m pretty certain that there are plants who appreciate his ability to convert oxygen to CO2.

cupisnique
cupisnique

@WWTH

Yeah I agree with everything you said, the more I think about it. My initial reaction was just well that’s pathetic, but if that’s what they wanna do, I guess. . .
However, I think they do need some pushback on this, I didn’t realize they had received criticism in the past and clearly didn’t do any self-reflecting on the issue and decided yeah this video looks totally fine. So yeah, it does seem they intentional chose to white-wash their sorority.

I think the video highlighted and just overemphasized the IMPORTANCE of looking that way and only this specific way, which to me is an issue because it is basically saying a) looks are extremely important for a woman and b) if you don’t fit this narrow definition then you aren’t as valuable. Especially since this is a promotional video too it was just pathetic that the only thing you can take away from the video is we like to look good and prance around looking good, what else is there even worth doing? I have no problem with criticising the people in this sorority for that.

@Alan

The demographics most likely do reflect the video, I think that video would drive away anyone other than the exact narrow type of person they want in their sorority anyway. I dunno, maybe if they at least showed a more diverse group it might encourage other people to want to participate and lead to more diversity. At the very least people wouldn’t watch the video and have the message forced on them that “looks are super important if you’re a woman, and this is the only way a woman should look”. Although I think sororities and fraternities are more of a problem than anything, I’d rather they didn’t exist. I highly doubt any claims of giving back to the community are anything more than pandering and a poor justification for their existence and value. I’m glad in Canada they aren’t as popular or have seemingly the same kind of connections (from what I hear being part of these groups can give you greater access to people with connections, and obviously if you are only letting white people in . . . ).

Paradoxical Intention

Bina | August 22, 2015 at 11:57 pm

@WWTH and @cupisnique: I’m just going to second everything the both of you said. Yes, we should absolutely talk about the society in which this was allowed to happen, but the women in the video are taking part in it.

And WWTH made a damn good point as well: We’re not being catty about their looks, especially when them all looking the same is the issue we’re addressing.

Mistressoflarry

There is a fraternity where I live whose sign reads “No Secrets, No Hazing” under their name (can’t remember who they are off the top of my head). But just the fact you feel you need to make that a permenant part of your advertising indicates a problem with that whole system. Not to mention the systemic rape culture/ sexism, racism, classism it perpetuates.

Fraternities and Sororities just another form of systemic oppression brought to you by… Patriarchy! (Now with extra peroxide!)

ProphetOfReason

What a fucking suprise.

Some sort of username
Some sort of username

As a non-American, well, can someone explain what the hell all this is about? I’ve heard of “sorority” and “fraternity” before but have no idea what they do or what they are. They just seem to be groups of college students where incredibly shitty things are said and occasionally encouraged to happen. Their only purpose seems to be absolutely horrible collections of horrible people.

mockingbird
mockingbird

re: hair and eyebrow / body hair color:

First, tl;dr: No one really has any idea unless you’re talking about a specific, historically homogenous population.

My eldest has blonde hair. When she was younger, her eyebrows and eyelashes were pretty much white, but now that she’s older they’re a light-medium brown.
Her arm hair is white.
She tans fairly well.

My middle child has dark brown hair, eyelashes, everything. It’s actually quite striking with her intensely blue eyes and very pale skin.
Her arm hair is lightly brown.
She burns without really tanning.

My youngest child has dirty blonde hair and matching eyebrows.
She tans well.

My husband had straight strawberry blonde hair until he was about 5, then it turned brown. When he hit puberty, it all turned ringlet-curly but stayed brown.
His arm hair is dark. The rest of his body hair (including his beard) is all over the map – red, blonde, brown, black, and now gray, though perhaps red is favored in some areas.
He’s a calico person.
He burns and then freckles.

I was born with blonde hair that turned brown and now had random blonde highlights as well “red undertones” according to a few.
My eyebrows are a just light enough brown to disappear from too far away.
My arm hair is white.
My skin get can get quite dark but also a lurverly pale green in the winter.

The genetics of hair pigmentation and its heritability / variation of expression is really frikkin’ fascinating. I wish it was something that could be discussed in company without either (a) someone think you’re trying to be a Nazi or (b) someone expressing their weirdo Nazi opinions.

I wish we could just be like, “OH! THIS IS REALLY NEAT!” and start to wonder about the role that hair texture played in climate adaptation without racist assholes stomping about.

lkeke35

Opium4themasses: I never heard of this Law. I’m going to use that word now. I’ve been championing this idea all over the Internet, and didn’t know it. This idea that racists, whenever they find out black people are uncomfortable with something, start doing it more often and more obnoxiously than they did before.

The example I use is the Jenna Six Incident in the mid-aughts. Thereafter, whenever some a**hole got upset with any black person in their orbit,they hung a noose. People were hanging nooses everywhere, during the span of about three or four months, and then just as suddenly, it stopped. The same thing has happened with the confederate flags and people putting them at black churches. A year from now it will have blown over in favor of some other way to humiliate and hurt black people.

There are some people whose hatred for black people (and only black people, although other groups will do in a pinch) see every event in the world as an opportunity to hurt us. For example, they will harm themselves and vote against their own best interests, as long they think they’re hurting us worse.

The entire ship could be sinking and everybody is going to drown, but that’s okay, as long as a Black person drowns first.

As a Black woman, I find this level of hatred and sheer stupidity to be utterly and completely baffling.

lkeke35

WWTH: I see your point.

Please, mock on!

@SSOU this might help:

I actually watched this entire show, I just couldn’t stop.

Some sort of username
Some sort of username

@guest

Meanwhile I got literally five minutes into the first episode and HAD to stop, it was absolutely horrendous. Why do these things exist?

And the fact that one is now in the UK is terrifying to imagine.

Jo

When frat boys sing racist or pro-rape songs they are rightly criticised and the fact they learned their attitudes from a patriarchal society is (while important to remember) no excuse. The same applies here – these are grown women who are responsible for their actions and associations. The social pressure that led them to appear in this video is worth discussing, but they should be allowed to hide behind it.

Jo

SHOULDN’T, dammit, not should…

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

This reminds me of reading about Shirley Polykoff, who made Clairol shampoo an industry leader by inventing the “Does She … or Doesn;t She? Only her hairdresser knows for sure” slogan. According to the story, her future husband’s mother took him aside and asked if he knew whether she was a “real” blonde. (She wasn’t.) But that inspired one of the most brilliant slogans in advertising history. In effect it said, I’ll color my hair if I want to and it’s none of your damn business.” Nevertheless, as Wikipedia repeats the story, “Even though her Clairol advertising campaign encouraged women to take charge of their own lives, she did not want to be seen earning more than her lawyer husband and insisted that her advertising agency cap her salary at $25,000 a year. Upon the death of her husband, her company immediately doubled her salary twice and promoted her.”

That also makes me think of my wife’s mother who was raised in much the same manner as those sorority girls. She was a woman of considerable ability who could have been a successful businesswoman — she worked for many years as office manager of a small business — but she had been raised to be a charming wife and gracious hostess, and (probably due to this conflict) she was never able to make a real commitment to a career. As she aged, she became more and more disgruntled. She died fairly young from smoking cigarettes, which she loved as much as anything in life. The fact that my wife’s father raised my wife as the son he didn’t have, and that she chose him as her role model, added to her mother’s disgruntlement. You might say, well, probably her father held her mother back … but … after she died he married a woman who is an architect and contractor, building homes that she custom-designs, and as far as I can see he’s been totally supportive of her career and very proud of her success.

Regarding the amount of blame that should attach to the young women in the video, I think you have to feel that they’ve been pretty much totally brain-washed. Their beautiful-white-girl-who-knows-how-to-be-nice-to men privilege is so easy and so pleasant that it’s really very difficult for them to realize that what looks like an elegant tasty sandwich may turn out to be an ordinary shit sandwich in the long run. When everyone is treating you like a princess, it’s difficult to say, “No, this is really not the way things should be.” I think that often women who aren’t conventionally attractive have a better deal in the long run because they get their lessons in reality at a fairly early age. It’s sort of like the guy who is a star athlete in high school and college — everybody adores him, but then he has to go out in the real world where nobody gives a shit about all that, and it’s hard to get used to being Mr. or Ms. Average when you’ve been a star.

Ellesar
Ellesar

I think that these young women are old enough, and apparently intelligent enough to know better, and I think that mocking the video is just fine.

By 18 I was able to critically analyse and would have found this video ghastly – not just for its homogenous smugness, but also it’s unflinching embracing of all the sexist conventions of young womanhood (all in white – there is a message in there!).

If I could have criticised it at 18 I can criticise it now.

If they have been brainwashed, so have the college men who sing those misogynist and racist chants.

Jo

I think there’s a mixture of criticism of those who made the video for being at best woefully tone-deaf about diversity and criticism of the subjects of the video for buying into a belief that being thin, white, blonde, passive etc. makes you superior to bigger, duskier, more assertive women.

I think it’s the later criticism that there was pushback on?

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Why are people comparing these women and girls to frat boys singing songs about rape and lynching?

The group is very homogeneous but they have not explicitly said “no diversity allowed”. If questioned a lot of the women/girls would probably say something that is pro diversity. I know that in reality there is both structural and actual racism that prevents racial diversity in fraternities and sororities. However, unless the sorority in question has prevented non white/thin etc members from participating in the video, I don’t think the comparison with the fraternities is quite fair. After all the fraternties did something beyond not being diverse to be judged (and for the most part they also lack diversity). There are structural problems in many sororities/fraternities and this should be addressed but I’m not sure this group deserves particular criticism.

I’m also not sure brain washing is a fair comment. There are real social, financial and political advantages from being in the right sorority/fraternity. People also have a lot of parental and societal pressure to join. Conforming to this pressure isn’t brain washing but giving yourself all the advantages you can. This is also why it is serious that fraternities and sororities become more diverse. It is unfair that advantages with respect to future careers goes only to limited people based on race and appearance.

@Alan

Sure, it may have been an honest video in that it reflected their demographics and I agree that faking diversity would not have been an improvement. Wasn’t there a university website that photoshopped a black guy into a group shot a few years ago?

However, a video that focussed on the appearance of the sorority members wasn’t the only way for them to advertise. They could have taken another approach, focusing on benefits of membership, the accommodation, personal stories etc. Something which didn’t say ‘club for white girls’ and might have started to address their diversity problem so they would have a chance to shoot a video in future years with a wider range of faces.

@Pear_Tree

I was pretty explicit about why I brought up the comparison with fraternities and it wasn’t to say that one act was as bad as another. It was to say that if growing up in a particular culture isn’t an excuse for the behaviour of fraternity members, then it shouldn’t be an excuse for the behaviour of sorority members.

In one of the earlier comments the video is put in context – this isn’t the first time they’ve been criticised for lack of diversity, so for me this is no longer about being clueless, it’s a group of people who are very comfortable broadcasting that they are a whites-only club.

weirwoodtreehugger

This kind of thing is why I’m not inclined to give any of these women the benefit of the doubt or feel bad for being harsh to them. http://jezebel.com/university-of-alabama-sorority-felt-blacks-were-bad-for-1617545094