do you even lift men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA PUA rape culture red pill return of kings rhymes with roosh

A Voice for Men defends skeezy PUA Roosh V as “much like the Buddha or Dalai Lama.”

Talk to the hand, because the Dalai Lama isn't listening
Talk to the hand, because the Dalai Lama isn’t listening

Apparently worried that not enough people were conflating the woman-hating, reactionary assholes who call themselves Men’s Rights Activists with the woman-hating reactionary assholes who call themselves pickup artists, MRA stronghold A Voice for Men has come rushing to the defense of PUA skeezeball Roosh Valizadeh, in the wake of his recent troubles in Canada.

In a post titled La défense de Roosh, Roosh fan and recent Bill Cosby defender Jonathan David Farley reports that

I attended Roosh’s World Tour in Washington, D.C.  At a last-minute-buyer’s ticket fee of $60, I thought the price was well worth it─not just for the information, which I knew already─but for the comedy.  As a former professional comedian, I know comedy: I wouldn’t have paid $60 to see Chris Rock, one of my favorite acts, but Roosh V’s speech was better.

But Farley doesn’t just see Roosh as a brilliant comedian (?); he also, well, just read this, because, what?

While I no longer have a need to do what Roosh advises in his book Day Bang, which I have a signed copy of, I have a longing to do what Roosh does: help men become happy. Roosh is in that respect much like the Buddha or Dalai Lama.

That’s right: “ROOSH IS … MUCH LIKE THE BUDDHA OR DALAI LAMA.”

The rest of Farley’s post is a weirdly perky defense of Roosh and some of his, er, teachings, with Roosh’s abundant misogyny surgically removed.

Far from promulgating “hate speech,” Return of Kings tells men that if they want the highest-quality women, they have to improve themselves, whether it’s through starting an internet business to become financially independent, lifting weights, or learning the wisdom of classical philosophers.

Do you even lift, Athanasius of Alexandria?

He goes on to suggest that Roosh’s, er, teachings may help to prevent mass murders in the future.

Far from creating another Elliot Rodger─the murderer who joined a forum dedicated to hating pick-up artists and their ideas─Roosh’s speech, books, and website may prevent one.

Roosh does life-saving work.

The whole post is so ridiculous — even by AVFM standards — that I found myself wondering if Farley isn’t just a very committed troll. Nope. He’s real. I’m not quite sure what strange path led him to Roosh.

EDIT: Changed the end.

Falconer

This is true. Roosh V, the Buddha, and the Dalai Lama all have metabolisms that require them to eat at least once a day, and drink plenty of fluids. In that they are very much alike.

… What? You want more? What more is there?

Gotta work in that frame somehow!

Also gotta insinuate that what makes men go on shooting sprees is women refusing to have sex with them.

Lovely.

Feminist Moray
Feminist Moray

I don’t know why you are making fun of this, I frequently get Roosh and the Dalai Lama confused.

Fred_the_Dog

But, Feminist Moray, the Dalai Lama is so darn cute! You surely cannot say the same for Roosh; his personality renders him as unattractive as cow flops.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Serial rape really isn’t that much better than mass murder. It’s kinda like choosing between rabies or ebola: Neither, thanks.

Brownian

From the site that brought you “Having to Wipe My Own Ass is Misandry”…

dhag85

Buddha had some serious Day Game in his time.

TGuerrant
TGuerrant

An article both Roosh & Elam loved that Jonathan David Farley published last year with Susan Patton: “Do the math: Rape stats don’t add up.”

weirwoodtreehugger

How is constantly calling women sluts, whores, cunts, bitches, fatties, and past the wall doing anything to improve men? I’ve never understood this defense of PUA. It does nothing to help men improve themselves.

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

Well, to be fair, Buddhism is actually deeply misogynistic. The light version as practiced in the west leaves out plenty of the more unpalatable for the audience tenets.

A.A. Wils

WWTH: I’m sure it’s all that same thing that schoolyard bullies do. Put other people down in order to make themselves feel better, in order to build themselves up. In the real world, where the rest of us live, it doesn’t work because most people think people like that are assholes. However, in their little assholish echo chamber made by 100% bona fide assholes in the asshole factory and filled with nothing but a choir of assholes, it makes perfect sense…

That’s why Rooshie wants to keep women and “homos” from commenting on his blog posts–not to create some “male-only” safe space, but so that no one challenges the asshole-choir, with, ya know, stuff that actually makes sense.

Sounds exactly like something the Dalai Lama would do../s

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Actually it’s about ethics in transcendentialism.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@WWTH
Highlighting the faults of another group (whether those failings are real or not) makes some people feel better about themselves. They don’t really have to grow, they just have to feel they are better by comparison.

To be fair, I think this is supposed to make men feel like they are valuable and shouldn’t accept every woman just because they want to have sex, which is a fair point by itself. But this particular way of going about it not only treats women as objects, this mentality also tells men that there is a specific type of women they should pursue. “Are you into women who are sexually experienced? Well, too bad, you can’t anymore. Are you into large women? Eeeew!” I’m not sure how telling men which traits they should find attractive, especially when those traits are so arbitrary, helps them improve in any way.

Oh, and I have a question too!
What “bitch” and “cunt” are even supposed to mean, really? Because I’ve seen those words and synonyms being used to insult any woman for any goddamn reason, so much so that to me it only sounds like they are saying “Well, you made me upset and I’m going to tell mom!”

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

Also, just to avoid confusion, when I said “accept women”, I meant accept as someone to have sex with.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

You know, the MRA idea of “self improvement” seems so constricted…Sun Tzu quotes, bench presses, peddling Three Wolf Moon ripoff shirts and clickbaity Adsense blogs to fellow misogynists (because the market totally isn’t saturated already). It’s all about performing masculinity more loudly than the next guy. “Notch improvement” would be a more accurate term, because that’s what the real aim is.

And that’s why the world remains unimpressed by these efforts, and why MRAs continue to be baffled when they venture out of their echo chamber after the makeover and aren’t greeted by wild applause. It’s really not much of an improvement.

freemage

Knitting Cat Lady | August 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm

This did occur to me, too. There’s a lot of issues with Nepalese Buddhism, in particular–the monks benefited greatly under the feudal system there (which, to be clear, was still strong within the last generation).

Paradoxical Intention

weirwoodtreehugger | August 7, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Well, this is AVfM we’re talking about here. To them, making sure women are “put in their place” is always great for men!

Zeb Berryman
Zeb Berryman

When I think of people who are zen the person who has previously stated that he would enter a violent protest to satisfy his ego is not what comes to mind.

anon
anon

I don’t think he realized that PUAs and people from PUAhate are identical except for when they repeat pua talking points.

If it makes them happy, PUA, if it makes them frown, puahate.

weirwoodtreehugger

I mean, I get that punching down makes them feel big. But it doesn’t actually improve them. Talking about how terrible “western” women are won’t make them any smarter, more attractive, richer or stronger. It’s absolutely ridiculous to claim that any part of the manosphere is about self improvement. If that’s what they were after, they’d be spending their energies learning new things, getting better at their hobbies, volunteering, whatever.

Not that I’m saying anything everyone here doesn’t already know.

Bernardo Soares
Bernardo Soares

@Knitting Cat Lady @freemage

I just want to join in and agree. It’s tantric buddhism and specifically the Tibetan local version (Kalachakra Tantra), that has some dark spots in this regard. Specifically there’s a theory in tantric Buddhism about Yin and Yang: that you need to combine female and male sexual fluids to achieve the unification of the female with the male energy. This, however, needs to happen in the body of the monk. Although Tibetan monks practice celibacy, this is not understood as having no sex, but as having no desire. The woman is simply a vessel, through which the monk reaches a higher state of consciousness. They practice to suck fluids through the penis, so that they don’t ejaculate, but suck female fluids to achieve the mixing of the fluids in their own body. (I have no idea if this can actually work)
To practice, they raped children and young women (from surrounding villages) from the ages of 8 to 25. There are “recommendations” to “use” specific ages for specific practices, but from the age of 30, women become “manifestations of evil spirits” and are to be avoided generally.

This is tantric theory, and it refers to interpretations of old texts; it is unclear to what extent this is still practiced. To be fair, no one has proven that the current Dalai Lama engaged in this. There are also passages in the Kalachakra Tantra that refer to a future Holy War between Buddhism and Islam, and while they are still part of important rituals today, these can be seen in hitorical context – they refer to a period of Islamic incursion into Tibet in the Middle Ages.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@WWTH
Maybe they think the things they say would supposedely open men’s eyes to how bad feeeeemales are, and thus they would improve their judgement? Idk, that’s my best shot.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Bernardo

They practice to suck fluids through the penis, so that they don’t ejaculate

Ah, this takes me back to the ‘Tantric Sex’ craze that was so popular for a while. Remember all those article about Sting and his wife?

Of course, being up for most things we did give it a try. There were lots of ‘techniques’ for delaying ejaculation for hours at a time. We weren’t that impressed though; that had been a side effect that had got quite annoying in those days when you could get decent MDMA (“Sorry, going to have to take a smoke break” etc.) The romance of it all 🙂

pkayden
pkayden

Couldn’t Farley find a good old fashioned White American to compare Roosh to? Why a brown skinned, non-Christian foreigner?
/snark

gosuamakenatek
gosuamakenatek

Wow, this is just…sad. I’ve never been such a mindless cheerleader of anyone or anything in my life the way this guy is with Roosh. How much of a pathetic loser do you have to be that this world-class pig anus is your hero?
I’d say that this is probably just Roosh posing as a fanboy to convince people to pay too much to go see his little…stand-up comedy act or whatever, but I think recent events prove Roosh is too much of an asshole to even pretend to be a decent guy for a while.

Moggie
Moggie

I don’t know how good Farley was as a professional comedian, but if he means what he writes here, I’d be surprised if he’s still any good. He exhibits a feature common among MRAs and other right-wing extremists: an amazingly faulty sense of perspective, such that a skidmark like Roosh becomes a towering religious figure. Much comedy relies on exaggeration, but in order for that to work, you need to be grounded in reality first. How can you know how far to push hyperbole for comic effect, if your normality meter is that badly miscalibrated?

Hypatia
Hypatia

I’ve read the description of Day Bang on Amazon. You know, if I didn’t know who wrote the book and if it wasn’t called “DAY BANG” lol, I would think it was written by an okay guy who really wants to help his other troubled fellow men in approaching and getting women.

The problem is that some of these strategies and techniques perhaps aren’t unethical per se, it depends on what is the guy going to use them for. If a guy uses these tips to approach a girl he really likes and wants to be with, I don’t think there is a problem with that. On the other hand, if he uses them to manipulate as many women as he can into going to bed with him and use them only for sex, that’s pretty disgusting imo.

From what I’ve seen lurking in the manosphere so far, misogyny goes hand in hand with these tips and “learning the game” so there is a high possibility that if a guy approaches you with game techniques, he is a vile misogynist. The question is how to see through his well trained, sugar coated speech and behavior and see him for who he really is.

As for AVfM, I’ve written in a comment on a previous article here, funny how they will run a piece defending this asshat, but won’t run a piece which considers the option that Bill Cosby really is a rapist. Great human rights activism, Paulie, why don’t you go and join Amnesty International.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I remember when Penn Gillette compared Anthony Cumia to the Dalai Llama because he said a bunch of horribly racist things about black people online…instead of physically attacking them, or something?

Not sure how those two things connect there, buddy.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Correction: it was actually Ghandi – which makes it ironic, given this…

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5yqjlM_jU&w=420&h=315%5D

Paradoxical Intention

weirwoodtreehugger | August 7, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Of course, we’d have to explain to them why those things are worthwhile if they’re not going to get laid for it, because in their minds, guys only do this kind of stuff to get laid, and not because they’re “good people” or some such nonsense they’ve never heard of.

Paradoxical Intention

Ghandi’s actually very much a terrible human being. I believe I’ve mentioned this before with a troll who tried using that “If you laugh at me, I win!” bullshit.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Churchill called Gandhi a “seditious Middle Temple lawyer”; which I find really offensive. Gandhi was a member of *Inner* Temple [they have all the wrong ‘uns over there].

alaisvex
alaisvex

Among other things, how exactly is Roosh making men happier? By his own admissions, he’s miserable pursuing the lifestyle that he promotes.

Bina
Bina

Buddha had some serious Day Game in his time.

Yup. All that sitting under a Bodhi tree, meditating, gives one a seriously enlightened ass!

Bina
Bina

#DoYouEvenMeditateBro

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

Dalai Lama has been saying that the world needs more female leaders:

Which is totally like Roosh, innit.

And yeah, Gandhi was a rather nasty misogynist.

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

Buddha had some serious Day Game in his time.

Fo’ sho.

Little known fact: his (long lost now) autobiography was titled Bang Tibet. He wrote it after killing his inner beta and ditching his ball-and-chain, sexually withholding wife (AWALT!).

Not many people realize that his spiritual transformation was really the awakening of his True Alpha, with its limitless banging potential. Bro was the prototypical redpillian.

And yep, he lifted, alright.

Boost
Boost

I love how when these men attend somethin that by its definiton mean they’re losers, for example a PUA seminar, they have to do funny little intellectual back flips like ‘I was only there for the comedy.’

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

As a former professional comedian, I know comedy

Oh, isn’t he precious. 🙂

Catalpa
Catalpa

I don’t think that someone who is only funny unintentionally can be classified as a comedian.

thedxman

If you doubt Roosh V is like the Buddha or Dalai Lama, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??

…What?

Wetherby
Wetherby

A reference to a notorious pro-Creationist argument.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

During his time in South Africa, Gandhi did not cover himself in glory. It’s difficult to stand out against the backdrop of 1930s South Africa as being especially notable for your racism, but organising protests against black people being admitted to Indians-only hospitals? That really does go the extra mile.

Of his career in India I cannot speak. If we have a commentator on the board who’s Indian then I’ll leave it to them.

Re the Dalai Lama: remember that his current incarnation as a cuddly media-friendly pro-western pacifist postmodern wisdom-speaker is fairly recent. From the 1950s until 1974 he was organising Tibetan insurgent fighters from across the borders in Nepal and India with CIA backing (including lending irregular military units to India during the Pakistan war.) When the CIA funding ended, however, he performed a volte-face and became his modern cuddly version. It’s almost as if he’s savvy enough to show the West whichever face will get it to give him money.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

#DoYouEvenMeditateBro

“Do you even levitate, brother?”

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Hahahahaha! “Day Bang” is the title of Roosh’s book??? This guy has a *signed* copy???? I don’t know why that cracks me up, it just sounds like some kind of ridiculous joke.

“former professional comedian” here means, ‘did some low-rent (free) gigs at an open-mic, got a stony-faced response and was too much of a chump to think about improving his material’.

He wouldn’t pay $60 for A-list professional comedy, but he sees it as a good price to pay to have Roosh tell him what he already knows? No wonder he’s a “former professional comedian”. He clearly has no concept of how that even works.
What does he like about these two completely dissimilar men’s output, that makes him place this value weighting on their work? I can’t even…

When I initially read the part about finding Roosh funny, I thought he was a detractor who finds rampant misogynists as hilarious as we do, but the fact that he’s an earnest fan makes it just bizarre and pathetic.

As for spirituality and philosophy…

Ugh, who honestly believes women dig superficial regurgitation of classical philosophers any more? It’s such a trope that anyone quoting Nietsche on a date might as well have a big flashing **Beware: Pseudo-intellectual DOUCHEBAG** sign on their foreheads.

And you know they only have the most superficial understanding of any philosophers, because I barely paid attention in R.E. but I’m still pretty sure the point of the Dalai Llama is not to “help men become happy”, but to be a terrestrial ambassador for peace, and that Buddhism teaches not to become happy through constant struggle for gain, but to accept life for what it is.

I kind of want the Dalai Llama to school this guy in exactly how grossly he’s misrepresented his earthly mission, and why he should STFU.

I hate how easily someone can write a paragraph about doods not becoming spree-killers as long as they can make women touch their boners, and not realise how utterly fucked up that is.

Wow, there are so many layers of awfulness to this guy’s post.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Like Roosh, the Buddha was depressed by the problem of aging and suffering, which he felt was made worse by the pursuit of fleshly pleasures. Unlike Roosh, his solution was non-attachment and ego dissolution. Roosh went in the exact opposite direction, preaching egotism, hatred, racism, rape, and the relentless pursuit of fleshly pleasures. His livelihood depends on keeping his audience angry and dissatisfied.

Also unlike Roosh, Buddhism has half a million followers, centuries later, while Roosh can’t even get into the double digits on a support petition while he’s still alive.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

@ Buttercup – Ah, so the Buddha was MGTOW?

Also, I shoulda read the comment section before posting, because my Humanities and R.E. lessons sure left out a lot of stuff to do with the Dalai Llama, Ghandi, et al.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

….Doesn’t it take, you know, lots of hard work to earn your own herd of cattle? Even if someone does decide to just coast through life after pulling off a feat like that, I couldn’t blame them for that.

benfromcanada

Well, Roosh is a lot like the Dalai Lama & the Buddhist in a lot of ways. The Buddha & the Dalai Lama taught temperance, peace, contentment, and enlightenment, and Roosh teaches all of those things except temperance, peace, contentment and enlightenment. Plus, none of them have English names. They’re so similar I often confuse them with each other.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@AltoFronto
I guess R.E. is not the best place to learn this sort of thing. I studied in a Catholic school when I was younger, and I remember that a lot of things they taught us turned out to be wrong. Not wrong in a way that would make the students hate other religions and cultures, mind you, but factually wrong.

Now that I think about it, it’s really creepy to compare Roosh’s teachings to religious teachings. Shouldn’t religious teachings exist to help people have better lives in all aspects? To say that the manospherian rigmarole is like a guide to life is terrible, not just because it preaches hate towards pretty much everyone, but also because it tells men that they should only be concerned with things that will help them get laid. Taken as life advice, it’s actually harmful to the very group they claim to help.