4chan antifeminism imaginary russian friends lying liars misogyny post contains sarcasm straw feminists TROOOLLLL!! twitter

Tweets from totally real feminists supporting FEMCON2015, a totally real conference and not a 4chan scam

Seems legit
Seems legit

So over the weekend some enterprising 4channer decided to try to create some mayhem and make a few quick bucks by concocting a fake feminist conference, and selling tickets to it.

He — I’m pretty sure it was a he — headed to /b/ to round up some accomplices.

femcon1

The co-conspirators assembled in a TinyChat to work out the details of this brilliant scheme.

4chanfemcontinychatSpell

BE SURE TO SPELL FEMINIST CORRECTLY OR NOBODY WILL BELIEVE YOU.

Alas! Someone must have spelled feminist incorrectly, because as it turns out, no one did believe them, and word quickly spread on Twitter that FEMCON2015 was indeed a CON.

It didn’t exactly help that, their entire knowledge of feminism seemingly derived from antifeminist memess, none of the FEMCON2015 promoters had any idea what real feminists sound like, and the fake feminist Twitter accounts they set up were about as believable as Steve Buscemi’s undercover teenager on 30 Rock.

Here are some of the highlights from the would-be FEMCON artists’ brief careers on Twitter.

“Veronica” tweeted “her” first TOTALLY REAL HUGE FEMINIST comment at 2:12 (my time) Sunday afternoon.

Literally one minute later, “Jessica” here tweeted HER first TOTALLY REAL feminist comment.

Two minutes later, she tweeted about the TOTALLY REAL conference.

This TOTALLY REAL liberal showed how liberal “she” was with TOTALLY REAL liberal tweets like these:

Then followed up with a plug for FEMCON2015.

The OFFICIAL fake account of the fake conference — which has now apparently been banned — tried to whip up fake enthusiasm for the fake conference:

femcon20152

Looking at @Femcon2015’s tweets last night, before the account vanished, I noticed “she” had 85 followers, pretty good for a brand-new non-celebrity account. Let’s see what some of these followers had to say!

This was Mr. Cockx’s only Tweet.

But some of @Femcon2015’s other followers tweet a bit more regularly. Like Claudia here:

claudia

This seems to be a popular topic amongst @Femcon2015’s followers.

femcon2015fakefoll

femcon2015foll2

femconfake3

I crossed out the info, BTW.

There are more like this, but I think you get the idea.

SPECTACULAR SUCCESS, FELLAS!

H/T — r/GamerGhazi, Sari’s Whimsy, and @srhbutts

kellyrtillson

OMG where did this GIF come from???!?!?!?!?!?!? If Anita made this for gifs I just want to kiss her face!!!!! This is amaaaaaziiiiing.

kupo
kupo

@Moggie If they *are* the same guys behind GamerGate I’d assume they’ve been to something like PAX before, though I guess for that one you have to buy the tickets in that 30 minute window between when sales go live and when they sell out and they don’t announce the panels, speakers, musical guests, etc. until like a few weeks before the expo starts.

freemage

Guys, no, my feminist friend Katie says that this is totally legit and she bought, like, fifty-eleventeen tickets for all her other friends!

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Detimidation n. The feeling of relief, surprise and contempt you experience upon discovering that the terrifying opponent you had been dreading is in fact incapable of doing much except being laughable, but neither you nor they were aware until this very moment.

“Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman? I’m feeling a little detimidated, to be honest.”

Paradoxical Intention

Ms A. Womyn | July 27, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Hello, fellow lady persons.

The other day I was watching Sex in the City when it occurred to me that my womyn’s bra was flammable, so I burned it.

Take that patriarchy!

After that, I read article in feminist magazine by Sharon Osborn, whilst listening to famous feminist song I am a Broad, Hear Me Holler by well known woman singer.

Men are not as smart as they think, are they? Gay people are are moral superiors.

I then declined to clean my house. Health food is yummy, but I don’t cook. Social gaming 4 evar!

Yours, A Womyn (Ms)

PS, I’m between beta providers, so I’m a little short right now. Can anyone lend me twenty until payday, out of females solidarity?

Wait a minute…

Something ain’t right here.

Wait a goddamned second.

Every feminist knows that Well-Known Woman Singer is a proper noun, as that is her name, and is therefore capitalized! You fraud! Katie is ashamed of you!

Moggie
Moggie

Paradoxical Intention:

Wait a minute…

Katie tells me she would like to remind you of the never-capitalised feminist bell hooks.

You know what? I’m beginning to think you don’t even know Katie!

I honestly can’t tell if this account is a sockpuppet or a joke and it’s bugging me.

Luzbelitx

@katz

It all screams sockpuppet to me.

Even if “she” was indeed such a flawless man hater, apparently is also aware of

a. GamerGate AND #NotYourShield
b. Valerie Solanas (totally my idol u guyz)
c. “#ExpoGate” (I’m pretty sure it’s the Honey Badgers expo fiasco)
d. David Futrelle
e. MetalGate, FFS!!

Pretty busy for a full time man hater, right? Weird she doesn’t post about any radfem group she might belong to? No? Just Solanas?

TROLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLL

(It mostly looks like a #NotYourShield sock puppet, plus some baiting feminists into answering when should men be raped)

Luzbelitx

Oooohhh you meant an ironic strawfeminist to poke fun at MRAs?

I think it lacks the wit necessary for satire, in that case.

Dodom
Dodom

“Yeah, honestly I think that if they were trying to convince other channer/anti-feminist types that this was a real thing, they’d have had no problem. The problems come when they try and actually convince people outside their chan-bubble.”

Now I’m thinking: if anybody was to post on 4chan about Femcon as a real event and asking them to buy tickets to heckle and shout down the dumb feminazis over there, they’d end up storming their own fake con.

Sarity
Sarity

I’m seriously hoping for a new chat log to turn up in which these fools struggle to rationalize why their scheme failed, identify what went wrong, and argue what they should/could have done to make it work. There’s no way that’s not happening somewhere, and I can guarantee it’s just as pricelessly hilarious as their planning thread.

Paradoxical Intention

So, a friend of mine just sent me an interesting link.

Apparently, Macy Gray has written an ode to her vibrator. (And if I’m being honest, it’s catchy and the video is cute.)

mrkfoster
mrkfoster

@kellyrtillson:

I believe she made it when she heard about Tubman and Professor Skull broke up. It really is the greatest reaction gif ever and kudos are definitely deserved.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Katz

It seems to be another false flag attempt. As Lux says, it lacks the wit to be satire. There’s also the DF stuff which wouldn’t really be appropriate for someone trying to do a straw feminist joke at the expense of MRAs.

Paradoxical Intention

Moggie | July 28, 2015 at 11:38 am
Wait a minute…

You know what? I’m beginning to think you don’t even know Katie!

I’ll have you know that Miss Bell Hooks’ name is capitalized all the time, and that the lowercase version (bell hooks) is simply a stylistic choice.

How very dare you call my relationship with Katie into question. We all know she loves me more than you.
comment image

Paradoxical Intention

#rekt

(No but srsly guis, Katie loves us all equally.)

weirwoodtreehugger

Katie loves all her daughters in misandry.

Steve Green

To pick up on Rei Malebario’s observation, fraud remains fraud, even if those involved in the conspiracy are incompetent morons. Has anyone mentioned this to the New York authorities? They will likely take a dim view of the entire enterprise.

dhag85

@Paradoxical Intention

Nice! I like Macy Gray. Dunno if you’ve ever heard this old Missy Elliott track on the same topic:

Complete with intro, too. That album was probably my most played in 2004, mmm-mmm memories.

@WWTH

But what about the sons in – ooooooooh.

Macy Gray’s song is so cute! 😀

How long do you think some MRA is gonna come along and complain about it and make a fleshlight version that completely misses the point of the original video?

dhag85

@Pandapool

I think it’s much more likely that they’ll just talk about how someone should totally make a song like that, and how easily they could make a much better song than Macy’s – but none of them will ever get around to actually writing a song, because they fail at everything ever.

@dhag85

In my defence, I didn’t say it will be good.

But what I am saying it would be great if Jordan Owen did the music.

Moggie
Moggie

But what I am saying it would be great if Jordan Owen did the music.

I bet you wouldn’t listen for the full hour, though.

dhag85

I bet you wouldn’t listen for the full hour, though.

I would definitely try to get through at least the first hour.

Drdg
Drdg

@ Paradoxical Intention

There’s a quite old song by Dresden Dolls (Amanda Palmer) about the “automatic joy”

Ellesar
Ellesar

I think what you peeps are missing is that this is OBVIOUSLY a feminist plot – this is the sort of thing that feminists do all the time – posing as bozo’s pretending to be feminists to make the menz look bad!

commielesbian
commielesbian

You know, if they really wanted to make this convincing they could have communicated using Tor or other deep web browsers. Or even better – not communicated it online where ANYONE can see their plan.

Look, if they’re going to be dickwads and run a scam, they could have at least put a bit more effort into it.

benfromcanada

Well, I’m convinced. I hope to see you all at FEMCON2015. I’ll be selling Twitter followers from my booth in Hall A.

freemage

Ellesar: Femception?

Johanna Roberts

You know, I don’t think any of them were clever enough to realize they have a nice little play on words there, where the con becomes the con from rip off and not from convention.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

‘Femcon’ might make a good alert status hierarchy for women’s response against a particular article or troll.

So Femcon 1 might just elicit some mild mockery; Femcon 3 = swearing etc. and Femcon 5 means deploy the full range of Lego bricks?

@Alan

WE NEED TO CO OPT THIS.

We have a Femcon 5 troll, Tilikum, on the forums RIGHT NOW.

We need gifs for this! And a color chart!

Here we go:

It even has patterns for color blind peeps.

Moggie
Moggie

That’s actually backwards. If FEMCON is analogous to DEFCON, FEMCON 1 would be the maximum level of readiness, with hard chairs ready to be deployed at a moment’s notice. FEMCON 5 would be peacetime (a mythical state).

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Pandapool

Love it!!!!

[Although we may need to dust off Femcon 6 for SHFC judging by the other thread; I think we’re gonna need it 🙂 ]

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

^-^

On which note, thanks for giving me the Yellow Lego Road idea. Hehe.

ColeYote
ColeYote

You know what’d be fun, guys? Fraud!

And have I mentioned I am a feminist lately.

Chrysler
Chrysler

Oh my god, I’m embarrassed for them.

anon
anon

If you are going to bring in content from Twitter please post it so that it is not in divs that look like it actually twitter?

I block ads on the web, and their related promotional systems. Considering high profile web based programs like Twitter are just 21st century versions of proprietary computer programs, I will not use them either. Sadly much contemporary culture is tied up in these non-interoperable systems (eg Twitter scrapped RSS), and whilst I do not care for the systems or the billions ($) behind then the culture is important.

I also don’t care for being tracked on the web and things like web buttons for services stand to enable tracking. So I block “social” media things (anti-social, due to their closed nature, is more accurate), but in this case your actual content has been picked up as needless cruft. Please make your article not look too commercial, or otherwise like fluff or other “social network” cruft? Just call the divs misogynist or fraud or anything but embed-twitter, or similar.

Have a look at Fanboy’s social list for Adblock (I use AB Edge – it is like ABP but without the adware features) to see what is safe to publish content under.

Cheers

marci

Even if they were actually successful, they would really fail. Imagine how much fun a whole bunch of feminists at a gay bar would be!

Mew York Kitty (@CCMSparkster)

I wonder how they can simultaneously think feminists are foolish enough to believe in this obvious scam yet intelligent enough to somehow have been able to overthrow the governments of the entire Western world and rule for the last half century without anyone realizing it.
That’s some serious doublethink right there.

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

oh my god when will dumbshit channers learn to organise their scams where the whole world can’t read them

Mew York Kitty (@CCMSparkster)

@Marci I guess they believe that the Redstockings represent the entirety of feminism today, even though they were largely shunned even in their own time period.

Manosphere types often claim that feminists hate gay men because they believe feminists believe we’re misogynist for not being attracted to women and that our homosexuality is based in misogyny. Basically, they believe that feminists believe that gay men are all MGTOWs in disguise.
Some also believe that we’re “lucky” for not being attracted to women since they believe that being gay makes us immune to false rape accusations and other rare phenomena that they’re terrified out of their wits about. I wonder if they know about a thing called “homophobia” as well as the fact that domestic violence is a serious problem in gay (and generally gay male) relationships, as well as sexual assault and rape and body shaming and all that.
Then again, they tend a lot more toward homophobia, especially if we commit the horrible crime of saying that we’d like better representations of queer people in video games. As well as the idea that gay = feminine = not a Real Man (TM)

@anon

…What.

Tracy
Tracy

@anon he embedded Tweets. That’s how they embed – they come with their own divs. Not really reasonable to ask David to come up with his own CSS just for your browsing comfort, is it? (which he likely can’t edit easily anyway, not sure how much access one has to the stylesheets when using non-self-hosted WP). Yeesh.

cupisnique

@anon

Well… that was a new one…

I have no idea what you are talking about.