4chan antifeminism imaginary russian friends lying liars misogyny post contains sarcasm straw feminists TROOOLLLL!! twitter

Tweets from totally real feminists supporting FEMCON2015, a totally real conference and not a 4chan scam

Seems legit
Seems legit

So over the weekend some enterprising 4channer decided to try to create some mayhem and make a few quick bucks by concocting a fake feminist conference, and selling tickets to it.

He — I’m pretty sure it was a he — headed to /b/ to round up some accomplices.

femcon1

The co-conspirators assembled in a TinyChat to work out the details of this brilliant scheme.

4chanfemcontinychatSpell

BE SURE TO SPELL FEMINIST CORRECTLY OR NOBODY WILL BELIEVE YOU.

Alas! Someone must have spelled feminist incorrectly, because as it turns out, no one did believe them, and word quickly spread on Twitter that FEMCON2015 was indeed a CON.

It didn’t exactly help that, their entire knowledge of feminism seemingly derived from antifeminist memess, none of the FEMCON2015 promoters had any idea what real feminists sound like, and the fake feminist Twitter accounts they set up were about as believable as Steve Buscemi’s undercover teenager on 30 Rock.

Here are some of the highlights from the would-be FEMCON artists’ brief careers on Twitter.

“Veronica” tweeted “her” first TOTALLY REAL HUGE FEMINIST comment at 2:12 (my time) Sunday afternoon.

Literally one minute later, “Jessica” here tweeted HER first TOTALLY REAL feminist comment.

Two minutes later, she tweeted about the TOTALLY REAL conference.

This TOTALLY REAL liberal showed how liberal “she” was with TOTALLY REAL liberal tweets like these:

Then followed up with a plug for FEMCON2015.

The OFFICIAL fake account of the fake conference — which has now apparently been banned — tried to whip up fake enthusiasm for the fake conference:

femcon20152

Looking at @Femcon2015’s tweets last night, before the account vanished, I noticed “she” had 85 followers, pretty good for a brand-new non-celebrity account. Let’s see what some of these followers had to say!

This was Mr. Cockx’s only Tweet.

But some of @Femcon2015’s other followers tweet a bit more regularly. Like Claudia here:

claudia

This seems to be a popular topic amongst @Femcon2015’s followers.

femcon2015fakefoll

femcon2015foll2

femconfake3

I crossed out the info, BTW.

There are more like this, but I think you get the idea.

SPECTACULAR SUCCESS, FELLAS!

H/T — r/GamerGhazi, Sari’s Whimsy, and @srhbutts

Shaenon

They aren’t that smart. I’m surprised only one of them spelt feminist wrong.

On the chatlogs, most of them did. It is glorious.

Shaenon

Oh, and the guy who made the FeminsitVeronic account is on the chatlogs. He spends the entire chat unable to figure out how to make a Tumblr account.

Anisky

So how do you think the 4channers behind this are reacting? Mortified/angry (I imagine to these guys, they’re the same thing), or basking in the attention?

Anisky

Or maybe blaming the guy who spelled “feminist” wrong.

weirwoodtreehugger

Oh, I’m so glad I read through the log. It is amazing. http://imgur.com/a/2e0kU

My favorite was the guy who blamed his inability to make a tumblr post not on his own incompetence, but tumblr “being homosexual.”

Wut??

weirwoodtreehugger

Aww. They wanted to contact Anita Sarkeesian and trick into endorsing the conference and giving it a signal boost. Adorable!

It’s like reading about a train wreck on Darwin Awards…

Jules
Jules

Ineffectual criminals are the best kind. ;D

Chris

Robert
Robert

WWTH, thanks for posting the link to that log. These people seem to have a great deal of free time to fritter away on strange projects. If only they could have used their power* for good.

*To use the term very loosely.

Since I’m up early, Robjec, I’ll answer your question (or at least give you one answer).

‘I didn’t get the while shirt gate thing, he apologized and deemed to be deeply upset that he had hurt anyone. So I don’t really get why it still comes up ever.’

Those of us who were upset that his thoughtless choice of what to wear while representing his organisation and STEM in general was just one more example of how we’re told we’re not welcome in STEM environments appreciated his sincere apology, were glad people are now a little more aware of the subtle ways sexism affects us, and are prepared to move on. As with Tim Hunt’s crass comments to women in STEM in Korea, it’s not the people who pointed out the behaviour who are continuing to obsess about it, it’s the people who are really, really not happy about being criticised. Really, really not happy. It’s not supposed to work that way–‘inferiors’ aren’t supposed to criticise the behaviour of ‘superiors’.

weirwoodtreehugger

Hello, fellow lady persons.

The other day I was watching Sex in the City when it occurred to me that my womyn’s bra was flammable, so I burned it.

Take that patriarchy!

After that, I read article in feminist magazine by Sharon Osborn, whilst listening to famous feminist song I am a Broad, Hear Me Holler by well known woman singer.

Men are not as smart as they think, are they? Gay people are are moral superiors.

I then declined to clean my house. Health food is yummy, but I don’t cook. Social gaming 4 evar!

Yours, A Womyn (Ms)

PS, I’m between beta providers, so I’m a little short right now. Can anyone lend me twenty until payday, out of females solidarity?

Brilliant.

I just had to quote this so it wouldn’t get lost upthread.

chaltab
chaltab

In the chatlog, one of the guys is just like ‘feminists are retarded’ as a sort of non-sequitur.

I mean aside from using a slur for the mentally handicapped… he says this while he and his buddies are plotting to defraud women in a chatroom that anyone can read. And the fraud itself is ludicrously inept.

Glass house, stones, dude.

Shaenon

How exciting! FEMCON2015! Panels on addressing bylaws! Organizational structure! NOW’s agenda! Even though we have said nowhere else that this is affiliated with NOW! AWESOME GOOD TIME! TONS OF FUN! Totally something to pay $50 on!

They seriously just copied and pasted a random paragraph from the webpage for NOW’s most recent convention, not even bothering to change “NOW” to “FemCon.” The NOW convention has a lot of dry organizational meetings because it’s a meeting of the leaders of a major political group, not… I dunno, a feminism-themed version of Comic-Con or whatever the 4channers thought they were making up.

I’m almost sorry this got nipped in the bud. I wish it could go on forever, like the Sarkeesian Effect.

In case anyone was worried, Sellfy has reported that the account made no sales before it was banned.

Wetherby
Wetherby

That must be a huge disappointment to them, given that they were sharing out the expected proceeds in those chat logs.

Still, I daresay it beats being arrested for fraud. Although presumably conspiracy to commit fraud is also a criminal offence?

I’d have prefered it stayed up for several months while they earn no money whatsoever.

rick
rick

A good parody/satire of something has knowledge about its target. The doofs behind this dumbassery clearly don’t understand this.

sunnysombrera

Hello, fellow lady persons.

Take that patriarchy!

Yours, A Womyn (Ms)

I recently watched Despicable Me 2, and I read this in Gru’s voice for some reason. Though ironically enough:

sn0rkmaiden

How hard would it have been to pm each other while setting up a fake web page? I wouldn’t be surprised if this was masterminded by a bunch of 13 year olds.

Re that photo of the Tea Party member, maybe he was telling someone he knew called Moran to grow a brain?

Herbert West
Herbert West

I have the odd feeling that Typical Liberal was making fun of them, I know I would have (except even more lazy).
Even used a Velma avatar.

Moocow
Moocow

@Paradoxical Intention

A super secret club that posts their plans to get those meanie feminists on a public internet board, and then gloats about their victory prematurely on that same board.

It’s like a reverse of the Spotlight Effect. Believing the eyes are not on them when they very much are. A common phenomenon amongst 4chaners and gaters XD

Omg the chatlogs are too much. It’s just so entertaining to hear them describe the various straw, patches and yarn that make up a “feminist” in their mind.

“we need even teh mild mildly sane one to give up their money”

Well geez with a total of $0 before the ban, what does that say?

ej
ej

Dammit, Veronica! You had one job, and that was to spell “feminist” correctly.

At least they know who to blame for the failure.

If Veronica had only spelled “feminist” correctly, everyone would have totally fallen for it. They would have made tons of money and all the feminists would have been outraged or embarrassed or something* when they realized they had been sent to a gay bar. It’s not like posting the plan in a public forum gave them away or anything…

*Honestly, I’m not sure what response they were going for with that. Is ending up at a gay bar supposed to be horribly upsetting for some reason?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

(Hey, David, I’ve started getting auto-redirect ads on the mobile version, specifically the one talked about here. Might want to look into that.)

misseb47
misseb47

Wow. How the hell did they expect ANYONE to fall for that one? O.O

And no-one did. Imagine my surprise, or total lack there of.

PS

And what the hell is wrong with gay bars? Why would that be upsetting? I mean, why?! I just don’t get it.

Tessa

@ej: It’s projection. If they thought they were going to a 4chan meetup or convention, they’d see it as some horrible insult, as if they were being called gay. Considering how they use gayness as an insult constantly in their chat, I imagine they couldn’t think of a much bigger hit to their egos. So they assume feminists are the same.

The tweet from “Jessica Alice” telling women they don’t have to listen to their boyfriends is the most amusing thing in that post. It captures their perception of feminism perfectly. That and the whoke chat log make it clear they have no idea what feminism even is. It’s sad.

Moggie
Moggie

Maybe it was meant to be upsetting for the gay bar? You know, a lot of new customers suddenly turning up and spending money, some of whom are not gay! How mortifying!

AnAndrejaPejicBlog (@A_Pejic_Blog)

I’m looking at their sad little Tumblr, which only has three posts, one of which is a reblog of their first post. One of the tags they used is #DownWithMales. They also used #WomansRights. So only one woman gets rights? Who is she, and what makes her so special?

dhag85

I sometimes comment on how awful these people are, but I don’t give them enough credit for how amazingly stupid and incompetent they are. This is just mindboggling.

One thing though: I always assumed their little rants/tantrums about “SJW feminazis just want to hate men and not wear a bra while swallowing a million birth control pills” was deliberate strawmanning. This leads me to believe maybe the actually think this is an accurate description of the average feminist woman. That’s even more mindboggling.

dhag85

Off topic: Last night my country won the Under 19 Women’s Soccer European Championships, which is sort of a big deal. Sadly, the comment section of every news article I could find about this seemingly good news had been immediately derailed by dudebros whining about women playing sports. I just can’t understand what’s going on in their heads. It’s depressing.

Rei Malebario
Rei Malebario

I’m not any kind of a lawyer or anything but isn’t this technically conspiracy to commit fraud (albeit inept conspiracy to commit fraud)?
I’m pretty sure trying to sell something that you have no means or intention of actually delivering is a crime here in Europe, but I suppose things may be different in 4chan-manland?

dhag85

@Rei Malebario

Expecting manbabies not to break the law is misandry.

Moggie
Moggie

I literally can’t get enough of that Anita gif.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

But my new Mexican trans woman friend says the conference will be really good…

Newt
Newt

Maybe this obvious fraud is intended to be laughable as a distraction, and few slightly more competent 4chan “activists”, who have watched the odd heist movie, are working on a more convincing scam?

LordCrowstaff
LordCrowstaff

F – that’s for fucking
R – that’s for reckless
A – that’s for abominable
U – that’s for unethical
D – that’s for dipshits

What’s that make?

Mike
Mike

Yeah, honestly I think that if they were trying to convince other channer/anti-feminist types that this was a real thing, they’d have had no problem. The problems come when they try and actually convince people outside their chan-bubble.

j12432324
j12432324

God those tweets were about as convincing as a fake moustache disguise. Did they seriously think they could fool anyone?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

No way. #GamerGate’s proven that this is the most they’re capable of; they worked their fedoras off on that one and still only convinced people who wanted to be convinced.

David N-T
David N-T

From the dudes who brought us ethics in video games journalism, comes freshly scented conspiracy to commit fraud. Is anyone surprised that dudes who lack intellectual integrity also fail in the general integrity category as well?

David N-T
David N-T

[quote]The depressing thing out of this is that these are the same idiots who pretty much incited #GamerGate. Kind of depressing so many MRAs and anti-feminists are even dumber than this. [/quote]

Honestly, my reaction regarding their general ineptitude is more akin to relief.

Holytape

I’m like a totally real feminist. And I totally like feministing with my girl friends. And we are like empowered because we have uteruses and those other tubey bits, you know, Philippians tubes. So I am so going to FemCon. Down with men!

dslucia1
dslucia1

@dhag85

It’s probably a bit of both. The “ringleaders”, so to speak, likely deliberately strawman for the sake of pandering to their audience, and said audience doesn’t care about the actual facts so for them that becomes an accurate description of the average feminist woman.

I mean, what are they going to do, talk to an actual feminist woman to get the truth? Pfft.

sarity85
sarity85

I have to wonder if #DownWithMales was really meant to convince anyone or if it was just some half-witted gotcha attempt to expose MISANDRY. Failed on both fronts either way.

And holy shit, a commenter on the Buzzfeed report actually thinks the only reason this amazing plan failed was because the original post was spotted on /b/. x’D Where’s a Scooby-Doo villain meme when you need one?

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

… I refuse to believe they honestly thought this would work.

Someone in r/GamerGhazi said that they announced Vivian James as a speaker, and I refuse to believe anyone is that incredibly stupid. I find it more likely that they would try to make everyone think they were really trying and are just really bad at everything (and then… profit?) than that they would name a fictional character created by gaters as a speaker in a feminist conference, in all seriousness, and expect anyone to buy that.

If people like that existed, reality should’ve been broken into tiny little pieces in ground it into dust. A thousand times.

Also, Hello everyone! And shut up, Woody.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Yes, real convention planners put out the word just three weeks before the actual date. Feminists will impulsively drop everything and book expensive last-minute flights/hotels as soon as the tampon bat-signal goes up. It’s not like they have meaningful careers or families that are hard to take time off from. Just fake office jobs and ninety cats.

This really points up how badly they overestimate their own intelligence, and disrespect the intelligence of feminists. They’re not even putting in the slightest effort to make it look real. Half-assed graphics, a handful of sockpuppet Twitter accounts, and lazy copypasta stolen from NOW: all good enough, because feminists are stoopid, amiright? They think feminists have the brains of fish, and easily mistake shiny objects for food.

Even misspelling “feminist” is a not-so-subtle form of disrespect, akin to the Republicans’ irritating tactic of referring to the “Democrat” party in public discourse. It ends up backfiring and making them look stupid, petulant, and lazy, instead of superior. If you can’t even manage to get your opponents’ name right, tell me again why you should be entrusted with running anything?

Moggie
Moggie

Have these guys ever attended a conference? One which doesn’t involve dressing up as your favourite fictional character? One where you’d want a list of speakers and sessions before committing?