a new woman to hate a woman is always to blame anti-Semitism antifeminism empathy deficit entitled babies literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny reactionary bullshit terrorism

Did right-wing attacks on “Trainwreck” inspire John Russell Houser’s shooting rampage?

Was Amy Schumer the real target of John Russell Houser's rage?
Was Amy Schumer the real target of John Russell Houser’s rage?

John Russell Houser, who gunned down 11 moviegoers at a showing of Trainwreck in Lafayette, Louisiana Thursday night, killing two young women, was a volatile, violent, woman-hating, anti-Semitic, far-right loser given to dark and bitter diatribes against what he saw as cultural “immorality.”

It’s a safe bet that if Houser had stayed for the entire showing of Trainwreck, instead of pulling out his gun, he would not have enjoyed the film, a comedy about a young woman living an unapologetically “promiscuous” life in New York city, written by and starring Amy Schumer, a feminist comedian famous (or infamous, depending on whom you’re talking to) for her frankly sexual humor.

A more important question: Did Houser deliberately target viewers of Trainwreck as a sick protest against its “permissive” politics? And if so, was he inspired by attacks on the film from right-wing media and misogynists online?

Trainwreck has been a lightning rod for right-wing “moralists” since the first trailer for the film came out five months ago. A glance through the comments to the trailer on YouTube reveals months of sniping at the film by an assortment of angry misogynists decrying Trainwreck as “propaganda” and a celebration of “whores.”

“This is unbelievably degenerate,” one would-be cultural critic on YouTube wrote shortly after the trailer came out. “No respectable man would even touch an overweight whore.”

“Movies like this are the reason people can’t have normal, old fashioned relationships anymore,” another YouTuber complained. “Thank you Hollywood for yet another huge, stinking, steaming pile of crap contribution to society whose sole purpose is to teach women to act like men, be sluts and take relationships for granted.”

Still another attacked the film as subtle “propaganda” encouraging women to “behave like sluts” — even though Schumer’s character repents and gives up her “slutty” ways at the end. As this non-fan of Schumer saw it, the fact that the film has a happy ending

encourages the viewer to partake in her abominable behavior, because the message is that such behavior has no consequences: everything will go your way in the end. This gives young women a license to party, do drugs and whore around in their 20s, because they believe they can count on a Prince Charming to rescue them when the time is right.

The apotheosis of this kind of, er, criticism comes not from some irate, anonymous YouTube commenter but from Armond White, movie reviewer for the paleoconservative National Review, who, in a review last week, blasted Schumer for turning “female sexual prerogative into shamelessness” and promoting “the degradation of sex.”

And he was just getting started:

Trainwreck should be a wake-up call for anyone — especially for any conservative — who thinks pop culture is guileless, harmless fun. …

Not really a sex comedy, Trainwreck is a comedy that uses sex to promote feminist permissiveness.

Like the angry YouTube commenters he almost seems to be cribbing his critique from, White is especially offended that Amy — it’s not clear if he’s talking about Schumer or the character she named after herself, or both — can be so unapologetically sexual without suffering “social stigma.”

As White sees it, Schumer is “a comedy demagogue who okays modern misbehavior.” Apparently confusing Trainwreck with the Chinese Cultural Revolution and Schumer with Madame Mao, White concludes that

Schumer doesn’t simply use humor for social readjustment; like all Comedy Central performers from Jon Stewart on down, she aims to acquire cultural power. … As the latest model of Comedy Central’s stealth comediennes (following Janeane Garofalo and Sarah Silverman), Schumer disguises a noxious cultural agenda as personal fiat.

Now, we don’t know if Houser was directly inspired by White’s antifeminist-diatribe-cum-movie-review; we don’t know if he even read it.

What we do know is that over-the-top attacks on feminism and feminists like his have helped to contribute to a widespread backlash, online and off, against outspoken women, a backlash that has both encouraged and excused attacks on, and outright harassment of, individual women who have challenged male cultural authority — from women daring to offer opinions about video games that offend misogynistic gamers to comedians like Schumer who challenge old-fashioned slut-shaming by joking unapologetically about female “promiscuity.”

No, movie reviews don’t cause terrorism, not by themselves, anyway. But John Russell Houser was a veritable rage bomb that had long been ready to explode, and “cultural critics” like White and his ideological fellow travellers online may well have inspired his choice of targets when he finally did.

Please read the newly revised COMMENTS POLICY before commenting.

Hi Carmen

Great points nicely put.

GrumpyOldSocialJusticeMangina

The word “permissive” is associated with Dr. Benjamin Spock, whose book “Baby and Child Care” was the most powerful influence on child-rearing practices for baby boom children like me. He counseled less dogmatic and restrictive practices than had been thought proper previously — for example, he argued that babies should be fed when they were hungry instead of being fed on a strict arbitrary schedule, which had been the conventional wisdom prior to WW II. He counseled parents to feel free to love their children and to be less stern and less concerned about “spoiling” children — contrary to the traditional saying, “Spare the rod and spoil the child”. He argued against corporal punishment and against other harsh discipline, such as withdrawing and threatening to withdraw affection when a child misbehaves. During the anti-Vietnam-War protests and the hippie culture and the beginnings of the sexual revolution in the late 60s and early 70s, traditionalists blamed the rebelliousness of youth on Dr. Spock and his “permissive” child-rearing policies. Spock himself was prosecuted in federal court for counseling draft resistance. But Spock’s advice has now become so normalized that the term “permissive” has become almost totally obsolete.

We’ve had a number of comments here about the sexism of Islam and the poor job that the media have done in covering misogynistic crimes. But I’d like to suggest that the fact that nobody in the media wants to talk much about misogyny is largely due to the fact that a serious discussion of misogyny in the US would lead to Christian doctrine, particularly as preached by Fundamentalist churches and popular televangelists. The theme that women’s political and sexual freedom is destroying our society and tempting God to destroy the US is a very common one — see Pat Robertson’s famous remarks treating the 9-11 attacks as God’s punishment for tolerating “the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians”. But if the media pursued that line, they would be viciously attacked verbally and threatened with physical harm, and there would quite possibly even be some murders. Just think of Bill O’Reilly prattling about a War on Christmas because some people say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Think of what people like him would be saying if anyone in the major media tried to trace misogynistic crimes to Fundamentalist Christian preaching.

level14boss
level14boss

@Carmen Personally I’m not very promiscuous myself, and have turned down offers, not a lot mind you, because it didn’t feel right. Even though in all cases they were pleasant people. Saying that I would never judge another person for their promiscuity or lack thereof. As you’ve sort of said I only think it”s a problem when someone gets involved with someone who doesn’t respect their needs, which unfortunately isn’t always the easiest thing to work out before sex occurs.

@autosama That was interesting to see. Hopefully it does encourage a variation of body types eventually. Also puts me in mind of this letter from the letters page of ‘The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3’
Hey guys!
Keep up the good work with Squirrel Girl. It’s refreshing to see a female super hero that has the body type a lot of us girls have. How did you guys come up with the character design?
Can’t wait to read more.
Alexa

ERICA: For the body I didn’t think about it much. I tend to draw super heroines with more physical powers thicker because I honestly have a hard time believing that a 90-pound can take down a 200-pound steroidal dude who has equal fighting ability. So yeah. Her body type in the book is the same as the first finished drawing of her I ever did because that’s how I see Squirrel Girl. Besides have you seen people who do cross-fit? Their thighs are HUUUUGE

Ellesar
Ellesar

I agree with you Carmen, lesbians that I have known that have had quite a lot of casual sex do so because they feel and are safer, really unlikely to get an STI and are more likely to have orgasms. Generally, women try harder with women, and are fully mindful of consent and mutual enjoyment. I have heard some horror stories too, but a tiny % comparative to those who have casual sex with men.

I also agree that ultimately a lot of casual sex becomes hollow and just not much fun. Most of the people I have known who have had a lot of partners have some pretty serious issues with alcohol/ drugs/ self esteem/ commitment.

One very worrying thing I read was that women who do BDSM with any regularity with many male partners are very very likely to suffer rape or sexual assault at some point, not surprisingly leading to many women dropping out of the kink scene.

weirwoodtreehugger

I can understand why casual sex isn’t the best choice for many people personally, let’s not drift into slut shaming territory here. For some women, casual sex can be fun. I don’t regret any I’ve had.

Hi Level14Boss

It’s interesting what you say about the M-F fighting thing. of course, by definition, when all else is equal one would expect the stringer person to win; and strength is usually (though not always) proportionate to body mass.

Having said that, it’s axiomatic in H2H combat that you don’t play to the opponents strengths (in the ‘abilities’ sense of the word). So the 90lbs fighter would probably rely on speed and manoeuvrability rather than go toe to toe.

I know from personal experience that can be affective. I don’t do the steroids but I do weigh 200lbs (and then some) but I have had quite a few serious injuries from lighter faster girls. I can show you the teeth to prove it; or rather I can’t, just the replacement caps. 🙂

jummy
jummy

“Did right-wing attacks on ‘Trainwreck’ inspire John Russell Houser’s shooting rampage?”

This is a typical Glenn Beckian question. That is, an absurd, far-flung assertion punctuated with a question mark. The question mark indicates that zero effort has been invested into substantiating the assertion which precedes it.

level14boss
level14boss

@Alan Robertshaw. The letter part was supposed to be in quotes but it mucked up. You’re point’s a good one though. I have friend who works as a joiner for the local council who is quite small. I’m 6’3″ and probably about 196lbs and honestly believe she good easily kick my butt if the need arised. Though it never would.

@ level14boss

Yeah, trust me, don’t ever test that theory, you’ll inevitably be proved right! 🙂 Someone who lugs wood around for a living and uses hand tools is essentially doing 8 hour a day fitness training. It’s weird what professions make for good fighters. Some of the hardest kicks I’ve ever received have come from dancers.

Here’s a 5 foot girl putting me out of action for a while:

level14boss
level14boss

@Alan Robertshaw She seems to be gettting right into it. 🙂

sn0rkmaiden

@Carmen,

yes I hear you on the pros and cons of casual sex. I haven’t done it for years, partly because I did find some men seem to get off on treating a woman badly after the act, which rather spoils the fun; but predominantly because either a)if the sexual connection is good with a guy I’ll want to do it more often which leads to complications, or b) the sex is disappointing in which case I’ll regret having done it in the first place.

Btw, I don’t think this thread is in danger of slut shaming. I would never judge or lecture a man or woman who enjoys casual sex, but it is refreshing to discuss the pitfalls in a context which is not moralistic.

sn0rkmaiden

Re:Jummy,

did somebody order up some word salad? I didn’t order any word salad….

@ level14boss

Oh indeed….

TMI Warning!!!!!

….. one of the many times I’ve had needed a prostate exam. Mind you the doctor said she could have done that whilst checking my tonsils after that excapade. 🙂

In all fairness I had started the exercise by punching her in the back of the head and making her eat sand, so it was fair enough, but that is how you have to train if it’s to be off any use to anyone.

[I should perhaps point out we became really good friends]

BritterSweet

Why are women who have sex and women who don’t have sex both disparaged? Why are they saying women aren’t supposed to “act like men,” without any supposed realization about what that implies about men?

It’s simple: their real issue is with the woman having a choice. It’s about women being their own people instead of men’s things.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I’m with WWTH here, this is a bit too close to the “There’s something wrong with [slur for women who enjoy sex]” narrative for my tastes.

autosoma

@carmen
@wwth
What gets me about these people who s***-shame and whine about promiscuity is that they are presuming and speculating about peoples sexlives with no evidence what so ever. Has Amy Schumer had sex? Well, I guess so, she’s an adult woman, any more than that it’s none of my business.

This fuckwit who shot two undeserving people dead in a cinema, what did he really know about their personal lives – nothing except angry presumption.

Tomorrow, I’ll pass many people and will I speculate about what they have done sexually – nah! Does anyone speculate about mine – nah

sn0rkmaiden

‘Most of the people I have known who have had a lot of partners have some pretty serious issues with alcohol/ drugs/ self esteem/ commitment.’

To be fair, this does say ‘people’ and not specifically ‘women’. I think it’s possible to say something isn’t a great idea, without passing judgement upon the people who think otherwise. It’s the non-progressives who make everything into a moral issue.

Alan Robertshaw

I didn’t get any vibe of shaming from Carmen’s comments. Then again I don’t see anything negative about promiscuity anyway so perhaps I have an unconscious bias.

People engage in sex for all sorts of reasons. I’d have thought that “it’s loads of fun” might be the main one but I have known people who, when going through periods of low self esteem, have perhaps confused sex as a substitute for affection or attention, or had sex with people just to keep them on board as it were. To me, people who do that are taking advantage in the worst possible way by exploiting a vulnerable person. To use an old fashioned word I think it’s totally caddish.

Where there’s mutual consent and enthusiasm though I say fill your boots.

Carmen’s choice is of course entirely their own though, and I respect that.

Alan Robertshaw

I should perhaps clarify that it’s the people taking advantage of the vulnerable person that are cads; there’s no stigma attached to the vulnerable person of course.

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

To be fair I don’t hold it against anyone male or female who engages in regular casual sex (speaking only for myself, I’ll only have sex in the context of serious relationship). I have a dual opinion in that A. I think its one of the only positives that single men have in their situations (single women get the same benefit of course, but I’m of the opinion that they get a couple more) but B. Anytime sex gets reduced to a certain level of casualness I believe something important gets lost, so I’m not sure that this would be a good idea on a widespread level (this contradiction, which I’m well aware of, fortunately I often won’t push my morality on others).

weirwoodtreehugger

What exactly gets lost? I’m not damaged or defective because I’ve had some casual sex. There’s nothing missing from my body or mind. The ghosts of peni past are not haunting and sullying my vagina.

baroncognito

Contacts get lost. You need to be really careful having casual sex or you have to go back to wearing glasses.

Shaenon

Armond White is famous among film buffs for two things: his cartoonishly pretentious writing and having the opposite of a human’s taste in movies. Hated Black Swan, Zodiac, and There Will Be Blood, loved Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, dislikes every Pixar movie while praising Chicken Little and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, recommends Resident Evil over 28 Days Later, was literally the only critic on Rotten Tomatoes who gave a thumbs-down to Toy Story 3, and has a nigh-impenetrable explanation for each opinion.

A quick scan of Rotten Tomatoes reveals that he hates almost every female-led comedy with a hint of unladylike raunch, although he did like Lena Dunham’s debut, Tiny Furniture.

Okay, I’ve now wasted way too much time on Rotten Tomatoes reading the pull quotes from Armond’s reviews, because they’re just too funny. His reactions to gay-themed movies are the best. Milk is “A bizarre manipulation of the gay political impulse. ” I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is “a modern classic (despite a cheap-shot plug for Giuliani). By comparison, Hollywood’s most celebrated gay comedies — In and Out, Chuck and Buck, Blades of Glory, even the laughable Brokeback Mountain — were all failures of nerve.”

The man is a national treasure.

dislikes every Pixar movie while praising Chicken Little

Oh my fucking god, who the fuck thinks Chicken Little is a good movie ever for any reason?!

This fucker isn’t a critic, they’re a fucking troll.

Shaenon

“Movies like this are the reason people can’t have normal, old fashioned relationships anymore,” another YouTuber complained.

Mothereffer, the sexual revolution happened back in the 60s. Are you elderly? Are you like Don Draper’s old Colonel Sanders-looking boss? No? Then you never saw these “normal, old-fashioned relationships” (which mostly sucked anyway) and you’ve had your entire life to get used to the fact that women can have sex now.

I have no time for these Minivers Cheevy anymore. I officially lost it when a guy on the Doctor Nerdlove comments was complaining about how he shouldn’t be expected to treat women as people because he didn’t grow up with these newfangled ideas about feminism and equality. In a previous post, he’d mentioned he was 23.

weirwoodtreehugger

recommends Resident Evil over 28 Days Later

Shaenon

From his review of Up: “All this deflated cinema and Pixarism mischaracterizes what good animation can be (as in Coraline, Monster House, Chicken Little, Teacher’s Pet, The Iron Giant). Up’s aesthetic failure stems from its emotional letdown. ”

THIS GUY.

(Monster House is such a mess that the screenwriter, Community creator Dan Harmon, wrote an apology to a child who saw it: http://kellyoxford.tumblr.com/post/479774445/my-story-about-the-film-monster-house)

…I actually liked Monster House once you get pass the jerky animation and some problems with the story. Of course, I was 14 when I saw it, so, I mean, I probably wasn’t in the age bracket for the movie anyway.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

Peni – the “magical Something” removers.
Can you also remove objects from your kitchen sink with them? I miss my earring.

Also, fucking Up is a national treasure and made me cry all throughout. This ass has the emotional depth of a tablespoon.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

I’d like his definition of ‘Pixarism’, other than the word he can throw into a sentence pretending it’s something inherently awful, even sinister.

Bina
Bina

I officially lost it just reading this. What an ULTRAmaroon! I bet he’s a Nice Guy™ who can’t understand why nobody wants to sex with him.

PS: Hello, Carmen!

Nequam
Nequam

I notice he praises The Iron Giant, which suggests that even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

@Nequam

Also Coraline, which is surprising.

Ellesar
Ellesar

“Most of the people I have known who have had a lot of partners have some pretty serious issues with alcohol/ drugs/ self esteem/ commitment.”

I made this comment in the ‘good faith’ of it being a factual comment. I would have thought that from the context and rest of my comment that it was obvious that I was not slut shaming. I have no moral issue with a person being promiscuous. I was just making the observation that around ME the people who did A LOT of casual sex were often engaging in high risk or destructive behaviours.

Tessa

This Handle is a Test:

OK, I’m curious, what are additional benefits women get, in your opinion?

alaisvex
alaisvex

Wait. What’s so bad about being single, period? It’s not just about being about have sex with multiple people if you want to because your’e not committed to monogamy. It’s about having more free time to do what you want, being able to spend more time with your friends, not having to worry about your life plans will affect your future relationship, and a whole bunch of other benefits. Being in a relationship is a huge commitment. You’re making the decision to commit a certain amount of your time to them, dedicating more to keeping up the relationship than you probably would for most of your friendships, including them in your future plans, and giving up a lot of things that you’d get as a single person. Of course, if you’re happy in your relationship and in love, you won’t mind doing these things at all. The time spent together will be pleasurable, and you’ll want to spend that time and make those dedications because you want the other person in your life. However, if you don’t have a special person to whom you want to dedicate all of that time and effort because they make you feel good and happy, then you have a lot of free time that you can use for other things and without having to consider someone else’s plans.

In short, while there are definitely lots of benefits to being in a relationship, there are also lots of benefits to being single (and I’d argue that you wouldn’t miss the relationship benefits while being single as much because you don’t have a specific person to whom you want to dedicate that much while you would’t miss the benefits of being single as much while being in a relationship because you’d want to dedicate that much to that person), and I can’t see why men wouldn’t be able to enjoy those benefits as much as women.

Catalpa

@Carmen

You posts were interesting to read and I agree with a lot of your points, but I’d like to address a couple points.

’cause yes, there are psychos, and they tend to be men

I’m not sure if someone’s done this already (apologies if they have), but may I direct you to the new comments policy regarding the use of words like crazy and psycho?

Sex IS something special. Who we choose to sleep with is a part of our identity. There’s a reason there’s a difference between a friend and a lover, even if both are otherwise equally close.

I know that this isn’t exactly a rare sentiment and that you are speaking mainly for yourself, but speaking as an asexual, I do feel a bit put out every time sex is referred to as an integral part of the human experience, as an essential part of a loving relationship, as something all people should aspire to have with a special other person. I don’t. I don’t want sex, I’ve never wanted sex, and a relationship involving sex would be no more meaningful to me than a relationship involving, I don’t know, unclogging toilets together. Love and sex are not necessarily intertwined, one can have sex without love and love without sex.

Sorry, I do know you likely did not intend that, it’s just a bit of a bugbear of mine.

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith

Well, as long as you “don’t push your morality on others”…

Gah.

I mean, personally, casual sex is not for me, because the emotional element is really important to me (and to my partner) and I can’t imagine enjoying sex without it. For me, yeah, casual sex would lack something important – that emotional connection that comes from knowing and loving my partner. But here’s the thing: for me. Personally.. Meaning, I know that this is a personal preference. I don’t go around assuming that just because I see sex that way, then this is the way it has to be, period. I realise that just like people can have different sexual preferences in terms of gender, looks, or whatever else (or even prefer no sex at all), people can also have a different mindset about what makes sex good for them. It actually seems kind of obvious.

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith

(the two-dots up there is just a typo, by the way.)

Catalpa

And of course, romantic love isn’t the most important factor, or a factor at all, for some peoples lives, to amend my last post. If there’s a group of people more overlooked and inundated with ‘your lack of desire for this is wrong’ than asexuals, it’s the aromantics. Did not mean to other my fellow A’s, if there are any here.

Silky

You know the phrase “Sex is like pizza: When it’s good, it’s really good, and when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good!”?

I don’t think that person has ever actually had bad sex. At least, not sex that was bad for them.

Oh my god, there’s an actual answer to the question “Who the hell liked/disliked this movie?”

Check out his review for G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra: “G.I. Joe must be understood as an authentic measurement of our cultural values. Its appeal to the pop-commercial synapses also demonstrates livelier filmmaking than such utter banality as Iron Man and Star Trek and Harry Potter’s Half-Blooded Chintz.”

alaisvex
alaisvex

Maybe Armond White just very confused and perpetually celebrating Opposite Day.

baroncognito

I don’t think that person has had bad pizza either.

Don’t get me wrong, I like pizza, but there is such a thing as inedible pizza.

sn0rkmaiden

@WWTH, no one is judging your choices by talking about their own. If anyone here does criticize you for enjoying casual sex, I and countless others will take them to task.

One of the problems when it comes to discussing sexual behaviour is we are still tied to the misogynistic fallacy that men should want sex and women shouldn’t, making this a moral issue when it is a health and social issue. This is what makes society shame women who are sexually active and shame men who are not, while still expecting all sex to happen between men and women. It also makes society marginalize asexuals.

Unfortunately a lot of men absorb this trope that ‘nice girls don’t, bad girls do’ which encourages them to disrespect and mistreat women prepared to sleep with them outside of a relationship, Return of Kings is the perfect illustration of this. The notion of women sleeping around having low self esteem becomes a self fulfilling prophecy if a girl finds herself being judged by others and mistreated by the men she sleeps with. One of the reasons I don’t do it with anyone anymore is because the act has taken on so many negative connotations that I don’t want to be near anyone I can’t trust 100%.

I’m not saying this is still the case everywhere, it can’t be otherwise we wouldn’t have women here defending their decision to enjoy casual sex. I have found in polyamorous social groups men and women enjoy an enlightened outlook and actually manage to be genuine friends while indulging in guilt free non fucked up sex.

skiriki

I just assumed you were trying to emulate what us blokes sound like when mammoth hunting. You know how women like to intrude into male spaces.

Curiously, a plot point in Clan of the Cave Bear.

skiriki

I don’t think that person has had bad pizza either.

Don’t get me wrong, I like pizza, but there is such a thing as inedible pizza.

This is what happened when my microwave went bad:

That’s an actual solid charcoaled layer of pizza topping, and bizarrely, cheese ended up looking like that.

I tucked my pizza for a couple of minutes of nuking (’cause I put in extra cheese), and went to do stuff. But the microwave decided that 20+ minutes is more appropriate, and only after I started to smell something smoking I went to investigate and oh hey, how come I didn’t hear that ping and … oh.

As you can see, I did some exploring nibbling to find out if it was still edible. I was desperate and hungry.

Nope.

sn0rkmaiden

I would like to concur on the existence of bad sex and bad pizza. But sex is not like pizza.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I’ve got high standards for both pizza and sex. However, I don’t always make my own pizza.