#gamergate a woman is always to blame antifeminism boner rage bullying entitled babies homophobia misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed oppressed men post contains jokes post contains sarcasm reddit

GamerGaters attack study on video game losers lashing out at women … by lashing out at women

Women ruining the lives of men by invading the male space of gaming
Women ruining the lives of men by invading the male space of gaming

So the #GamerGaters are mad about a new study that suggests that some of the most dickishly misogynistic male gamers are quite literally losers. That is, men playing video games like Halo and Call of Duty online tend to lash out at women players when they’re doing their worst.

Looking at the behavior of a number of men and women over the course of 163 games of Halo 3, researchers Michael Kasumovic and Jeffrey Kuznekoff from the University of New South Wales and Miami University found that

lower-skilled players were more hostile towards a female-voiced teammate, especially when performing poorly. In contrast, lower-skilled players behaved submissively towards a male-voiced player in the identical scenario. This difference in gender-directed behaviour became more extreme with poorer focal-player performance.

In other words, the more of a video game loser they were, the more of a misogynistic loser they became.

We suggest that low-status males increase female-directed hostility to minimize the loss of status as a consequence of hierarchical reconfiguration resulting from the entrance of a woman into the competitive arena.

In other words, they hate losing … to a girl.

The researchers argue that the entrance of larger numbers of women into the dude-heavy world of video games is especially threatening to “[l]ow-status and low-performing males,” who

have the most to lose as a consequence of the hierarchical reconfiguration due to the entry of a competitive woman. As men often rely on aggression to maintain their dominant social status, the increase in hostility towards a woman by lower-status males may be an attempt to disregard a female’s performance and suppress her disturbance on the hierarchy to retain their social rank.

If this all sounds to you like a plausible explanation for a lot of the anger driving #GamerGaters, you’re not the only one to see the connection.

A recent article on the study on Yahoo News suggests that,

[a]s gaming has traditionally been a male-dominated pastime, these findings could go some way to explain 2014′s Gamergate furore. Several high profile female game developers were targeted with a torrent of misogynistic abuse, including rape and death threats, coordinated by factions of male gamers using sites like 4Chan and Reddit.

And this is what has the #GamerGaters on Reddit’s KotakuInAction subreddit pig-biting mad. In a thread complaining about the Yahoo News piece, the regulars show just what losers they really are by lashing out at … women.

Evidently forgetting that the study in question was conducted by two men, a Redditor called Katastic_Voyage won more than 130 upvotes with a lovely rant declaring that

There’s a huge freaking difference between shit talking, and bullying.

But most of these articles and “papers” are written by women, who live in a woman’s world, and don’t understand the first thing about what it’s really like to be a man. The others are by men who are basically women but doesn’t realize it–they were likely forced to grow up in a woman dominated, catty, passive-aggressive world.

Ok, my bad. The researchers might appear to be men, but are probably “men who are basically women but doesn’t realize it.”

And somehow this all has something to do with metal music:

Woman call all men “dumb” because that’s what they call anything they don’t understand. It’d be like someone who likes classical music calling metal dumb. Even if they’re actually related. Even though there’s plenty of beauty and complexity in metal… they don’t ever dive into it so they deride and dismiss it.

It IS real music, mom! (Sound of bedroom door slamming, followed by the muffled intro to “Enter Sandman.”)

So they take things like:

The need to compete? They think it’s violence.

The need to shit talk? They think it’s bullying.

The fact that men can look at other women and not cheat? It blows their minds that men can actually feel pleasure just seeing a woman of beauty… and that’s it.

Uh, I thought we were talking about video games. Did some mean lady just break up with you?

A fellow called Zakamaru, replying to Katastic_Voyage, decided to show how not mad he was about women invading “male spaces” by getting mad about women invading “male spaces.”

It’s what happens when a bunch of women get into male spaces and some fail to understand it.

Gaming has always been competitive. I can’t even begin to count the amount of times I was called various names and derogatory remarks, but it doesn’t fucking matter. You get insulted all the time, and it takes a special type of person to actually take offense to that. …

It’s not that we hate women. With gaming being a predominantly male hobby, it’s going to have elements of masculinity, competitiveness, and testosterone floating about. When people shit talk, they will use any sort of “weakness” that you have and attack it. If you’re unskilled, you’re a noob/scrub. If you’re an obvious underaged child, you get called a kid. If someone needs a quick all-purpose insult, you’re now a faggot.

When some women see this, they immediately think that it needs to change to fit their worldview. To them, these insults are simply unacceptable, and are “x-phobic” or whatever tumblr buzzword they feel like using today. Never mind the fact that gaming was born from a bunch of socially awkward men who carved out their own space with their own culture and lingo. No, now you have to cater to ME, because I’m a GIRL.

Boy, you guys really put those dumb lady researchers (who aren’t ladies, but who maybe sort of really are) in their place.

Please read the newly revised COMMENTS POLICY before commenting.

sn0rkmaiden

I have a steam account, but I don’t normally play minecraft on it. I’ll see what I can do though.

sn0rkmaiden

Okay, I’ve sent steam requests to Kirby, Sephira Jo and Fabe. EJ, is your handle similar to your handle here?

Kootiepatra

@sn0rkmaiden: The Steam friending is mainly to privately communicate about the Minecraft server. Although other games (i.e. Guns of Icarus) can happen there too. 😀

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

sn0rkmaiden: My Steam handle is [Ψϕ] Another Satisfied Customer. My Minecraft handle is similar but is my real name, so I’m not going to post it here.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@dhag85: Yes, you need to be someone’s friend in order to message them on Steam. I’ve just added everyone who sent me a friend invite, so I should now be your friend.

Also I’m going to be offline for the rest of the weekend, so that may not be especially useful.

dhag85

@EJ

Hm ok. I also sent a friend request to kirbywarp. Thanks. 🙂

sn0rkmaiden

@EJ, okay just sent a request. Lucky we have cut and paste, I don’t even have those symbols on my my computer 🙂

sn0rkmaiden

Thanks Kootipatra, I was getting a little confused. I’ll wait until I’m approved and take it from there.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

(Posting from my phone while on the train to see family)

I bumped into someone called Lanariel briefly whilst logging out – whomever you are, I look forward to playing with you in future!

The fields are looking really good. The people who’ve been farming have done an amazing job.

Construction work on Mammoth Hall continues; I hope to finish the roof over the great hall within the week. Please feel welcome to use the beds there at night. As it grows there will be more dedicated spaces which people can fill with whatever equipment we need.

sn0rkmaiden

Oh pants!

@Kirbywarp, I did send you a friend request on Steam, then deleted it just now as I feared it was to the wrong account, now I can’t re add it.

sevenofmine

@Robjec

If you want to change this go have a discussion about it outside of here. Tell people why it happened and warn them of the dangers ignoring it will lead to. In the end it will have to have a basic understanding amount society before you can expect the media to cover it properly.

So instead of siting here and saying Damm it’s so disappointing that CNN is just focusing on this one aspect go and have a conversation with someone who will listen and speed your veiws.

Others have already called out your assumption that nobody here does any activism outside this site. So, now, riddle me this: so what if someone of us don’t? Who appointed you the arbiter of how to feminism? Who appointed you the arbiter of what people who aren’t you do with their time, effort and money? What information do you imagine yourself to be in possession of that tells you whether meatspace activism is feasible for anyone here? Speaking for myself, there are exactly 0 people with whom I have face to face contact who aren’t either right wing nincompoops or militantly apathetic about politics. I have no drivers’ license and I have severe anxiety issues. Engaging in conversation about this stuff on the internet is about the extent of what I can do. So that’s what I do. I’m so terribly sorry (not really) that it’s not good enough for you.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Hi everyone, I’m awake again. ^^;;

I’ll get to responding to requests and whitelisting folks.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@snOrkmaiden:

What’s your steam handle? I could try sending you a friend request and see if that works?

Fabe
Fabe

OK I’m not sure if I’ll be able to join the rest of you on the minecraft server .I gave the mods a try in a singe player game and things were really laggy and choppy. Is there any thing I can try to improve performance?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Fabe:

Besides turning settings down, you can reinstall the pack but with “FastCraft” installed as an optional client-side pack. That might help a bit. I’d also hope that playing on a multiplayer server would be a bit less laggy since most of the computation is being done on the server, but who knows.

Paradoxical Intention

@Fabe: I had the same issues, so I did a few things on this list.

Specifically, I did 1, 2, 3 (though I later undid this step, and things still ran smoothly), 12, 19, and 24.

Paradoxical Intention

I also did the FastCraft thing.

Alas, the Minecraft mods are too much for my computer. :<

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

In the future, I think we might try to make a more permenant server on an actual server (rather than my home machine) with lighter computer requirements.

Since there’s only a handful of us, we can also discuss which mods we want and try to find a lighter mod pack that encompasses the mods we want or make one ourselves. Like, for instance, not having that Gaia monster mod that I’ve heard so much about. u3u

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

I’m used to vanilla so it’s no great loss for me to go without mods.

Which ones would have been causing the most slowdown? Is there any way to tell apart from laboriously unloading and reloading each mod one at a time and comparing it?

sn0rkmaiden

@ kirbywarp.

it’s snorkmaiden (with an ‘o’ rather than a zero), my avatar is a stickwoman.

@EJ

I think it’s just might be the sheer number of the mods because I play with many of the mods in the pack at full screen, fancy graphics and lighting and everything, just not all 300 million mods.

If I’m the only one having problems, though, I don’t need to play. Needs Wants of the many outweigh blah blah blah.

Mewens
Mewens

Kirby, I’ma send you Steam friend request sometime tonight (grungd is my Steam acct name). I really <3s online Minecraft, but finding a community is … problematic.

Fabe
Fabe

@Fabe: I had the same issues, so I did a few things on this list.

OK I tried a few of those and I’m getting better performance. still not 100% but I think Ican at least play. My new problem is I have no idea what these mods do. I was on the server tonight for a bit and was afraid to touch any thing out of fear of accidentally flooding the place with lava or something.

Paradoxical Intention

@Fabe: I’mma tell you what I told Belladonna: No one comes out fully knowing everything about Minecraft. Kirby and I are always here if you have questions, and if we can’t answer them, we’ll help you find the answer, okay? 😀

The server is there for all of us to have fun, not to worry! Even if you do end up flooding something with lava, that’s reversible. :3

Also, I had a little nook in our little cave shelter, and if you need a place to put stuff, you’re more than welcome to it, since I moved into my new house/bar.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Jackie:

The needswants of the many are that we want a Pandapool to play with us. We will be sad if we don’t get one.

More broadly, especially if we eventually migrate this from kirby’s machine to a hosted paid-for service with continuous uptime, I would like to keep it accessible to as many people as possible, even those with low-end computers. I am not a GamerGater; I don’t want an aristocracy of those able to afford good hardware getting better treatment.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I wish I could join in, but my shitty duct tape Frankenstein of a computer can’t even run the Steam client anymore, much less Minecraft. I tried playing a Flash game the other day and it overheated so badly it melted the charger (I am not kidding).

I’m saving up for a new one, though, so I’ll join in then. =P

@SFHC

Holy shit. How did you let it get that bad? That’s, like, an electrical hazard.

Falconer

Falconer would be a very sad and lonely Falconer indeed if, in his limited playing time, there were maybe only two or three other players when there could be a dozen or more. I logged in for some lunch break MineCraft (Lunch Craft?) but there wasn’t anyone around.

I admit, all the mods were kind of overwhelming to me. Literally so, when I found myself having to punch a giant minotaur’s hit points down a point at a time. Although his constant stream of pained, devilish “moo”s was amusing.

Srsly I think AT Launcher said I was running like 200+ mods? And I didn’t get to play at all yesterday because we had Fun and there was too much of it and we all collapsed in a heap when we got home.

sn0rkmaiden

How do I get on to this particular minecraft realm? I’ve made friends with a couple of you on steam, don’t know where to go from there.

Falconer

@sn0rkmaiden: We’re not playing through Steam, it’s just useful for coordination. For now, we’re using the AT Launcher for the mods. I found it just by googling AT Launcher. We’re using the Resonant Rise modpack. I can get you the server address or help you set up if you need it.

Stephanie Cholensky

Part of the study was that the losers were talking shit to women and NOT men, they weren’t complaining about shit talking in a ‘male space’. So no, he hasn’t experienced shit talk like these women have, and he missed the entire point of the study.

sn0rkmaiden

@Falconer, thanks.

I’ve managed to find AT Launcher and scrolled through the Resonant Rise mod pack, where do I go from there? You can email me through steam if you don’t want to give info here.

Falconer

@sn0rkmaiden: Have you clicked “New Instance” on the Resonant Rise pack? That will install the pack.

Then, under the Instances tab in AT Launcher, “Play” is the first button. I’m afraid it takes a while to launch.

It might ask for your Minecraft password again.

When Minecraft starts, click “Multiplayer” and there’ll be an option to tell it which server to connect to.

Kirby is the mod, he’ll need to white list your name. I can give you the IP, but we’re not friends on Steam yet. My Steam name is tcwill00. “Sn0rkmaiden” doesn’t turn anything up for me.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I tried to add you as a friend, sn0rkmaiden, not sure if the request went through or not. My steam name is “kirbywarp,” with the blue cobra icon on it.

Keep in mind, you’ll need to add “Project Flux” and “Biomes o Plenty” as optional mods when you do the install.

Moggie
Moggie

Minecraft is such a time sink! I got my single-player habit under control, but I had to withdraw from multi-player because I felt I had to be on that server every night, and it was turning into a job.

Falconer

Oh dang! I forgot about those. Okay, never listen to me again.

morticecurie

A weak and disparaging coup from an ill versed voice restirring old hat.
There is no scientific data, no testing groups, back contrast, there is only assertation and assumption. A gamerhate strawman if I ever saw one. Pull the other leg, it has bells on it.

1 6 7 8