kitties no trolls allowed off topic open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: Late July 2015 Kitten Hug Edition

I would go
I would go “awww” but I think that’s more a headlock than a hug.

A somewhat overdue open thread for personal stuff. (The open thread for everything else is over here.)

As is always the case, NO TROLLS, NO MRAS, etc., be nice.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@several re: dental issues: If you’re in the US, ask if your dentist participates in / accepts financing.

There are several programs out there (some better than others), but I remember that the one that my dentist endorses offers 24-36 month financing w/ no interest if paid in full in that time.

Paradoxical Intention

Tyra Lith | July 22, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Me too! Who’d have thought that HE would come back? :O

The whole brawl between the two of them was just awesome. I mean, the whole locker room and about twenty security officers to pull the two of them apart? And we have five weeks before Summerslam too for shit to go down in to wait out. And there’s going to be a huge public contract signing too, so there’s some chances for shit to go down.

I was talking with my cousin a bit about the subject, and I think that Taker wants to take on Lesnar at Summerslam because the last few years, it’s kind of been Lesnar’s event, much like Wrestlemania is Undertaker’s.

So, if Undertaker can take out Lesnar at Summerslam…

Also, I’m calling a Hell in the Cell match. And I would really like to see Heyman get his. I loathe that guy and would really like him to not talk so much. He makes my brain very angry.

That whole last episode of RAW was fantastic though. The main event was awesome, the whole fallout between Keven Owen and Sheamus was only made hilarious by Cena and Orton’s reactions to it. Their faces were priceless. And that finishing combo between Cesaro and Orton was amazeballs! Sling-shotting Rusev into an RKO had me jumping in my seat!

It was good to see Lana stand up to Summer Rae and her bullying. (Though, it’s SO CREEPY that Rusev is encouraging Summer Rae to dress up like his ex-girlfriend. Like srsly.)

The two Divas’ matches went great, and the crowd seemed really into it, so that’s a nice change of pace.

Yeah, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the recent changes will really bring a breath of fresh air.

No kidding, this is the most divas we’ve had in a long time. (Team Paige all the way~!)

While I miss other divas like Beth Phoenix and Melina, I’m happy that they’re finally starting to bring in NXT divas, because the whole fuckin’ point of NXT in the first place was to find new talent for RAW and Smackdown, not to become it’s own isolated little thing where the newbies come in and fade out with little to no attention. : /

Do you by any chance also watch TNA? I read in some forum that it is awesome too and a bit less problematic on the whole gender stereotypes front than WWE.

I used to when it first came out because it was kind of fresh, but I’m not that into wrestling anymore and only watch WWE on occasion when I’m liking the rivalries. : /

Maybe this is a good chance for me to get back into it, I guess?

gilshalos

Cooking stir fry, quorn stir fry. Or trying to.
I want to scream, I always want to scream, and I when I cook or tidy or…I hide a lot.

msexceptiontotherule

@dhag85

Ohhh…all the nos – Taking time off to travel with SiL when she travels for work? Not wanting her to go swimming when other people are around to see her in a bathing suit – or him for that matter? This leans toward purity movement teachings to me with a dash of insecurity on top.

Mizuki
Mizuki

I know I don’t post much but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some sites/resources for people struggling with their sexuality. Specifically if you are not sure how to identify. I’m not sure that this is the right place to ask but I don’t really know where to turn since it seems like everyone else knows. Thanks.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@gilshalos: Screams in dreams. Hugs if you want them.

Hambeast, Social Justice Road Warrior
Hambeast, Social Justice Road Warrior

I will get to the rest of this thread tomorrow probably since I have to get ready for work and need to do some other stuffs in the meantime (stepson is coming for the rest of the summer and there’s cleaning I’ve neglected).

But I wanted to say a couple of things:

Katz: thanks for the Frankenbowie explanation. That panel is gorgeous! Is there more?

Paradoxical Intention: I watched your Talos Principle video and you are just charming! I will be watching more of them when I get the time. Watching hubby or stepson play vid games gets frustrating since they get tired of explaining to me what they’re doing and why relatively quickly.

Haha, no, it’s just a panel from the Frankenstein coloring book. A friend of mine was having a coloring contest. But I might win a book out of it.

dhag85

@Paradoxical Intention

I got curious and checked out your channel as well. I think I might be interested in watching the Puzzle Agent series. 🙂

I have sometimes in the past thought I might want to do LP’s, but I suck at everything that has to do with computers. Can I ask what equipment/software you used to make your videos? I’m so lost.

dhag85

@msexceptiontotherule

Yeah.. definitely keeping an eye on this situation. It seems pretty terrible to me, but I guess for now I can only wait and see what happens next. :/

bekabot

Header picture:

“…and this is what we call a full smellson!”

weirwoodtreehugger

Mizuki,
I don’t know any specific sites but maybe Googling “resources for LGBTQ youth” would be a good place to start? That’s probably not terribly helpful, but it’s all I’ve got.

sunnysombrera

And a generous sprinkle of trust issues, maybe.

Either way I agree with whoever said that this behaviour will intensify during marriage. The question is how likely is he to listen to her complaints and change? Christian conservative husbands can sometimes be led to believe that they don’t need to listen to their wives because, well, they’re women. :/

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

PI:

Wow you have given this a lot of thought, haven’t you? 😀
Yeah, that bit about Summerslam being Lesnar’s event makes sense… I really do root for the Undertaker, can’t stand Lesnar.
And I LOVE those public contract signings! They are so perfectly absurd.

Absolutely! Loved this episode. Nothing to add here.

Uh-uh. An ex of mine encouraged his new girlfriend to get the same four facial piercings I had at the time we were dating (she did. after they broke up she told me that they were his idea). So that aspect of the episode reminded me of this and therefore included an extradose of weird for me. x)

Exactly. I really hope this is the first step of the way to more screen time for the WWE women in general.

I have only been into watching wrestling for the last one and a half year, so I have only read about Beth and Melina… I’ll go watch some videos on youtube. 😉
I’m also glad because I don’t watch NXT… yet. So this development now is pretty much the first time I really see NXT women fight and it’s awesome!

Maybe this is a good chance for me to get back into it, I guess?

Seems like it!

Team Paige all the way~!

comment image

Sam
Sam

Hi, everyone. I’m a long time WHTM lurker and I thought I should finally step away from the punch bowl and say hey. And shut up, Woody.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

@Ryeash – your worth is not measurable in how much money you have, nor how bad your teeth are.

My dad’s been mostly unemployed for about 15 years and his teeth are a fucking cautionary tale against eating too many Mars bars, I can tell you. He’s still a worthwhile human being, and so are you.

I know it makes life a fuck of a lot more difficult when your healthcare needs drain all your funds. Are there any assistance programmes that will either cover some of the cost of the dental work or allow you to make multiple smaller payments, or that will cover the cost of other stuff while you pay off the dental bills? I’m in the UK, so I don’t know what’s available to you, but never be afraid to ask.

More importantly than the money, though, is your physical wellbeing. Do you have family or close friends, or other people who can be on Team You and look out for you while you’re dealing with stuff? Let the people who love you help you stay strong.

Samaritans are also a good resource if you need to reach out confidentially to discuss all those negative feelings and help find your reasons to continue.

Please don’t throw your life away over something as worthless as money.

I’ll worry about you all night now. Will you promise to check in here again tomorrow?

weirwoodtreehugger

Welcome Sam!

Ellesar
Ellesar

Hi LiliVonSchtup and Welcome (I presume you have had a Scented Fucking Candle?) ! I think your intro got lost in there, so I wanted to acknowledge it cos I am seeing so many people delurking and I guess it has something to do with the new comments policy?

Anyway, I didn’t want you to feel that no one had noticed you. I often read Every Single Comment, so I don’t miss much (but do not have the extraordinary memory capacity that some demonstrate here!).

Ellesar
Ellesar

My personal stuff: on the countdown to a MAJOR surgery – stopped taking my Tamoxifen yesterday as apparently it affects bleeding. This is the last bit of treatment for my breast cancer diagnosed 3 years ago. It is all reconstructive, and, as I live in the UK I get it free.
I won the postcode lottery and have had the best bloody treatment in the country, and my plastic surgeon is the dogs bollocks! For non Brits, that is a good thing!

Thank you NHS for saving my life, my children are grateful!

Hey! Have a welcome package.

Quiet Wolf
Quiet Wolf

Thank you to Luzbelitx and Misha. It’s really comforting to know that my thinking isn’t super abnormal. I’ll stop mentally smacking myself for those thoughts then, and see if they pass.

@Ryeash: Maybe you could work something out with your dentist? Or (this might be super inadvisable, as I’m no health care worker) maybe get the most troubling teeth fixed up and get to the others when your financial situation improves? There are also ways to raise money on the internet.
Either way, your life is worth much more than any of this. Please stay safe, and best wishes.

contrapangloss

Ryeash, your life is totally worth more than any amount of money on this earth. I know things are rough for you right now, and I hope they improve a bit in the near future.

Hugs, if you want them.

To the thread at large: Sorry for over-posting a bit. I’m just enjoying being off work after some really, really smooth shifts for a few days, and I took a nap, and the world is pretty good. Also, today was my partner on the ambulance’s birthday. I went to work early-early and baked muffins for the shift, because he’s not a cake sort of person.

Also, also: The fire department got a house donated to us, because the owners want the house demolished so they can do something else with the land, and we got permission from the city to burn it! We did some prep to the inside to try and make it so we could get the most burns out of it that we can with the least amount of nasty pollutants – pulling out furniture with flame retardants, pulling carpet, pulling asbestos laden insulation, that kind of stuff.

I’m even going to get paid overtime to show up on my day off and play! I’ll also be rotating in for ambulance coverage of the town so that the people who are on duty can sneak in a rotation or two in the burn.

It’s a chance to get a better feel for residential fires than we usually get, which is invaluable. Our training center is concrete and steel, and we have to just light pallets on fire…

Plus, it’s a chance to play without also feeling really awful about the poor homeowners or renters who just had their lives upended.

I’m made of excitement. Two days to sleep and prep!

Yeah, sorry for the teal deer, but I’m super excited because playing with fire without sad feels! And we did some good calls, and were helpful, and…

…I’m just going to drop off some more hugs for the folks here that need them, since I have the energy and hugs to spare.

contrapangloss

…hm, moderation mammoth ate my post?

Well, until it appears, the summary of the more important bit is hugs for all the peoples!

Also, Ryeash, hope things improve for you. Your life is totally worth more than any amount of money that has or ever will exist. It may seem tough to believe, but you are an awesome person. Hugs if they are wanted.

andiexist
andiexist

@Ryeash

You are an awesome whatever the state of your teeth or wallet, and I hope things get better. Have a dragon hug.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Bleh… Could somebody post kittens for me? I’ve just heard that my mum had a heart attack this morning (after being rushed into emergency surgery, she’s apparently doing alright, at least enough to talk on the phone for a while – thank fuck for socialised health care) and I’m feeling a bit off.

sunnysombrera

@Ellesar
That’s wonderful! For all the griping people do about the NHS it really is a brilliant thing. In my experience hospitals tend to be a postcode lottery, pardon the expression lol! The big one in my hometown Southampton is pretty bloody bad, but the one I used when living in Cheltenham was excellent. Likewise, I was born with a cleft pallet and had exceptionally good surgery at Salisbury, so good that people find it hard to believe I had a cleft pallet in the first place due to my speech. 😀

Monzach
Monzach

I have to be able to survive just one more day. One more measly day and then, hopefully, my life will be back to normal. It’s just so very, very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, even when it is so close. But still, it’s just one more day. The problem at the moment is the fact that my mother is visiting from overseas. She arrived here on Sunday and is flying back to the UK on Saturday. So, I’ll have to spend some time with her on Friday and that’s it then for hopefully quite a while. It wouldn’t be very problematic otherwise, but there really are precious few subjects that we can talk about these days, since my mother is a fundamentalist Christian (evangelical variety) and I’m a live-and-let-live sort of atheist. MY mother is also very homophobic and I’m still in the closet about my bisexuality with her. Whenever she’s around she tried to control my life, which is slightly annoying since I’m 33 and have lived on my own for close to a decade now. Anyway…just one more day.

I don’t know if it’s the done thing, but if people take requests about brain bleach on this site, I’d love to see duck-billed platypuses or other cute and weird creatures. Thank you. 🙂

marci

So I am still trying to catch up on the comments sections here…been away again for a while. Mainly because I don’t have a computer at home and my phone is a pain to use for anything. I read through most of the the 2 recent monster threads and I have a question that I hope a few of the “older” readers here will know the answer to.

There seems to be a lot of people missing from the comments who I really felt a connection to in reading their words. Did they change their names or have they actually left? A couple who I am missing dearly are kittieserf (spelling prob wrong) or Louise, LBT, Ally (who was mentioned by a douche, which prompted my question), cassandra, hellkell.

Anyway, I hope someone knows and sorry to be a pain in the neck and not keeping up with the community. I love this community, but I’m a slow reader and have limited internet time most days.

To all the “new” regulars…WWTH, Paradoxical, Panda, etc: I love you guys too, keep up the great discussions.

gilshalos

Well, saw the doctor today. Not sure why the psych said to see him to get the meds she suggested cos she’d already put in a prescription for them for me.
Doc is as dubious as I am at me being off anti-depressants totally. He did repeat several times, as if to convince himself rather than me, that the anti-psychotic drug I’ve been put on a low dose of to combat anxiety does also have some anti-depressant effects to it.
According to the letter he got sent the psych is going to see me again in a couple of months, so he’s seeing me in one month to see how things are going, and made a point of assuring me that if things went badly in the mean time any doc in the surgery could see my notes and get me on other drugs even if he wasn’t available. Whilst this is reassuring, the fact he felt he needed to assure me of that, isn’t reassuring. If that makes sense.

gilshalos

@marci
Kittieserf left in the last big uproar, Ally left a bit before that. LBT shows up now and then after leaving for a bit. Not sure on the others

autosoma

I like reading the comments on David’s blog – it’s a good way to get perspective.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Brain bleach. Here’s video about feeding a puggle. This is an echidna rather than a platypus, but it’s seriously cute.

marci

Not kittehserf! Oh that’s a bummer! When did that happen? Shit man, that makes me really sad.

gilshalos

@marci Darn, yes that is her name, I got it wrong too! Kittehserf left after a big bust up about trans issues. I miss her too (but I am not trans so…)

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)
Ellesar
Ellesar

mildlymagnificent – you must be psychic – I was going to request puggles.

sunnysombrera – I had never been ill before, but had 2 kids and some broken bones and plenty of dental care, and it has all been at least satisfactory. But cancer treatment opened my eyes to other issues. The NHS does provide great care for life saving measures. As I mentioned, there is a postcode lottery, which you are well aware of, but I live in London, and there are probably at least 15,000,000 peeps who could access the best healthcare here. And many of us are poor, so the system is ‘fair’ in that sense. Where they get most of the criticism is with non fatal illnesses and conditions, but now I have survived cancer I totally accept that.

The posts about dental are making me feel a bit sad – I am so fortunate that as a low income person in the UK I get most dental treatment free, and also have been signed up with the same practice since 1972, a practice that is in a high income area, and has high standards. As a result (and also I do look after them) I have v good teeth for a 50yo, and no gum disease, which is apparently uncommon at this age (combo of good hygiene, genetics, no smoking and probably some other things).

Falconer

Ally S has been gone about two years; Kittehs, cassandra, about a year, hellkell a bit after that I think. LBT show up every so often, and cloudiah, last I heard, was on more-or-less permanent lurkerdom.

I need a platypus.

That’s a cute venomous otter duck.

freemage

GhostBird: If it’s not too late for further advice, take a little notepad with you, with your concerns/needs already in writing on one page (alternately, type it up and print it out). When you get to the appointment, give the admitting nurse the note and ask her to put it in your file where the doctor will see it.

If the doctor is unsympathetic, you’ll be doing yourself a favor by drawing a hard line.

If the doctor is sympathetic, you’ll be doing THEM a favor, because they’d rather you be happy with the care you receive.

Either way, you win.

**********

So, I work for a major media company. (That should be vague enough.) Part of my job is answering phones for one of the departments, when the usual person is on lunch.

More and more, we get calls from some person who got arrested a decade (or more) ago, and the story about the arrest (but no follow-up information, like the fact that it was dismissed for lack of evidence or the charges dropped) is still on our website archives. Since we use fairly aggressive SEO techniques (you have to, in this biz), that story is often in the first couple entries that come up when the person’s name is Googled.

I just got off the phone with a 62-year-old woman who was arrested (but charges dismissed) 22 years ago, who was just distraught over the idea that this story was going to outlive her, and be the most prominent mark anyone would see when searching for her name.

Fortunately, we do have a person who can help in cases like this. I don’t know if we remove the story completely, or if we just edit it to include the dismissal and resolution, but really, it’s a bit scary to think about how many companies might not do this.

raysa
raysa

Ryeash:

I feel your pain. My husband and I are way below the poverty line, barely enough for basics, sometimes. And we both have horrible teeth, 2 of mine are broken and have been for a couple of years. Any kind of dental care is way out of our reach.

I have a suggestion, though. Have you ever tried oil pulling? Lots of people will tell you that it cures a bunch of stuff, and I don’t know about that. But I have oil pulled with sunflower oil for almost a year. I started because the pain in my teeth and gums was so bad. It doesn’t regrow teeth, or anything like that, but I used to have horrible pain, and I haven’t had a tooth or gum ache since I started oil pulling.

My teeth are also whiter than ever, and my breath is much nicer. I don’t know what it does or why it works, but it does, at least for me.

There is lots of info about it online. I have used several oils, but sunflower works best for me. Anyway, I hope you try it. Maybe it will help.

At least please know that you are not alone. There are a lot of us at the bottom. It can make us feel worthless, but that is not the reality. Everyone matters to someone.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

Hi. I’m Zoon Echon Logon. It’s pretentious Greek. It means “animal having a rational principle.” I’m a bit drunk right now.

Here’s my tumblr. http://antlerless.tumblr.com/

I’ve been really, really depressed for the last… as long as I can remember.

I just helped out at an awesome gay wedding of two really great guys, I’ve got an wonderful girlfriend (she’s a badass) that really likes me, and I’m about to go away for three weeks teaching an environmental ethics class in the Montana wilderness. I’m feeling good.

This blog and community have opened my eyes to a lot of the weird cultural sexist bullshit programming that I’ve absorbed, and I’m a better person for it. Thanks, people. If you’re ever in Missoula, hit me up and we’ll hang out.

Monzach
Monzach

I survived. My mother got on the train to the airport an hour or so ago. So, now I can get back to living my own life, for the time being at least. I can’t believe how much stress can be caused by spending a few hours a day each and every day, for a week or so in a row. I decided to reward myself by going to my friendly local comics store and buying two reprint collections of classic Marvel superhero comics. Mmmm, nostalgia. 🙂

ryeash

@Everyone who replied

I would have answered earlier, but for some reason I wasn’t able to even type in the comment field for awhile. My budget tablet is gasping its last, I think.

Anyway–thanks for the hugs and the kind words. It really does help to not feel as alone in dealing with this kind of stuff. It was just a shock to hear how much it’s going to cost to have an “optimal” smile again (it’s not like mine is completely busted, just that I still have all four wisdom teeth which are wreaking havoc on my other molars, and apparently my braces decalcified some of my other teeth, which never got taken care of). I spent long months in a suicidal depression, and though meds have helped immensely with my mood, I spent a lot of desperate time constructing arguments against myself that would keep me alive. My biggest was that I couldn’t leave my partner to struggle to build his life up alone, but now it just seems like I’ll drag him down more than anything else. My parents were very much about basing a person’s worth on how financially successful/physically attractive/mentally normal they are, and it’s hard to shake the feeling of not living up to any of these and being completely worthless as a person. Also, they liked to tell me I was completely worthless as a person–up until I cut them out of my life like the malignant tumor that they were.

@Falconer

My partner says the exact same thing to me that you said, all the time. It helps to hear it and realize that the ideas that were enforced to me are bunk from insecure people who needed to feel above others in order to have any meaning in their lives.

…it also helps to hear it from someone I don’t feel is “obligated” to say it, lol.

Luzbelitx

Thank you @ryeash for checking back!

I hope this adorable turtle duck helps you stay positive and remember your value.

@zoon echon logon & Monzach

Sounds like you could benefit from this cute little fellow as well 🙂
comment image

maistrechat
Reply to  ryeash

With the exception of the braces, that’s just about exactly the situation I was in too, teethwise and moodwise.

One strategy I’m taking is that while I search for a new dentist I’m automatically ruling out anyone who specializes in “cosmetic dentistry”. It’s been really difficult so far to find a balance between “uses equipment from the 1950s” and “uses up-to-date techniques and equipment but behaves like their office is a car dealership”.

but now it just seems like I’ll drag him down more than anything else.

One thing that helped me here was when my spouse and I had a discussion about this and they made it really clear that they didn’t feel like they were being dragged down at all and that the issues I was having weren’t burdening them or stressing them out beyond being concerned for my well-being. Not knowing your partner I don’t know how they feel or how they’ll react to a similar discussion, but having periodic conversations around those lines has really helped.

Falconer

@ryeash: I’m glad I was able to help. Words are all I have for any of you.

Hugs for everyone! And what an adorable little Positivity Turtle Duck.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Monzach: I’m glad you survived. A lot of people don’t realise how important it is. That sounds glib, but it isn’t meant to be: we often get raised to be self-sacrificing and to feed others’ narcissism rather than being able to monitor and protect our own health. Well done for coping. You earned those comics.

Monzach
Monzach

@Luzbelitx:

Thank you for the turtleduck. Ze is a lovely creature too and I think that zir message is an important one. 🙂

@EJ (The Other One):

Thank you very much. 🙂 I just felt that after watching my step for a few days in a row I should try and unwind during the weekend. Thank you again for your wonderful message. I really can’t emphasise enough how important positive reinforcement is. 🙂

ryeash

@Luzbelitx

Yay, adorable turtle duck! 🙂 Thank you

@maistrechat

Sorry to hear you’ve gone through the same. There’s no way to describe feeling that way without putting it lightly. Hopefully things are looking up for you.

I’m at the point where I’m seeing a light at the end, but anything that obscures it for even a second sends me into a panic. I can’t go back there. I don’t know how I’ll make it out again. I’m wiped.

My partner and I actually had a similar discussion to the one you and your spouse had. He told me the same thing. I just always worry that people are holding back in order to keep me from panicking. Which kind of sounds silly now that I’ve typed it out. Thanks for relating. It definitely helps to hear how other people deal with the same situation. I feel like my thinking gets too warped sometimes by my moods to fully trust it.

@Everyone

Hugs all around. Shit’s tough, to say the least.