imaginary oppression MGTOW misogyny reddit

An Air Mattress, a Motorcycle, and a Flat-Screen TV: Living the dream, MGTOW-style

The good life?
The good life?

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam celebrates the simple pleasures of

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread-and Thou

Reddit’s MGTOW contingent has a somewhat different notion of what constitutes the good life. It involves a motorcycle in one’s bedroom.

Last week, one Man Going His Own Way proudly posted the photo above to the MGTOW subreddit, where it received more than 80 upvotes and pretty much universal acclaim.

“People always ask when I would leave this ‘narcissistic immature lifestyle’ behind and just man up and get married already,” he wrote. “Why would I want to wake up to anything other than this in my bedroom???”

Replacing the wine, bread, and poetry of Omar Khayyam’s little scene we have:

• An air mattress
  • A motorcycle
  • A bigass flat-screen TV
  • A Playstation 4
  • Two video games

Replacing the tree, a Minecraft poster tacked to the wall.

Replacing “thou?” Whatever … that is on the bed, I guess.

You go, boy.

weirwoodtreehugger

That’s definitely a fair point, but I do still think, judging from the attitude alone that he’s living simply by choice. Which is fine, of course. But the misogyny isn’t.

We also don’t know if the motorcycle is functional.

weirwoodtreehugger

I meant the point about not judging people by their stuff. Not touching the ableism conversation stuff right now!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*sighs* I really tried to be nice about the callout this time, you know.

I… What? o__O Where on Earth did you get that from?

The point is that whenever there’s a killing, the media, society at large and especially people with similar views to the killer’s use “Oh, he’s just crazy, he’s not responsible for his actions” as a way to brush the real reason under the rug and cut off any discussion regarding the systemic societal issues involved (namely misogyny and racism). It has nothing to do with “Waah.”

I’m confused again.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*Real reasons, rather. Confused M not grammar so goodly.
comment image

. But what up with people using someone else’s alleged ableism as an excuse to be extremely nasty and telling that person to “fuck off” and whatnot? Also I don’t really get the whole idea that ableism is bad because then the perpetrator of whatever can’t be held responsible. Aka “waaa, that means I have to feel bad about ridiculing this person on the internet!” I’m pretty sure that’s not the thing that’s bad about ableism.

Could you…at least google what ableism is? Seriously. It’s, like, if you don’t know a concept, look it up. Don’t just use it if you don’t understand it.

Sarah
Sarah

I don’t get the reaction of some people thinking anybody’s moking the guy for being “poor”? When I look at this guy’s place I don’t see poverty (hell, for all I know the guy could be rich and it wouldn’t change anything) but a room that doesn’t look very homely. Which is his point, right? he can have his manly cave all the ugly he wants because there are no shallow women around to say silly things like it’s disgusting to have a motorcycle in your room.

Like, seriously. I can GET behind her being good but they fucking KILLED HER OFF FOR IT.

But hey, that surely gave a lot of depth and motivation to the character of the man who witnessed that. We all know how important it is to remind us all that batman is a very tortured and troubled man because his story is so tragic.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*just stares for a while*

From a new poster, that would have pissed me off. From Fnoicby, nope, just reeeally confused and wondering if I misread something somewhere.

Anyway, back to Arkham Knight.

Eew. Fridging Ivy and referring back to the one and only thing people keep asking them to stop referring to? Just, eew. So much for the good will they’d earned with the anti-#GamerGate joke. =/

davidknewton
davidknewton

It’s that stupid noise they make. pak-pak-pak-pak-pak like a broken washing machine turned up to 11. So friggin’ loud. And what for? It can’t be unavoidable, I’m sure.

If I recall correctly, the sound was due to some flaw (er, characteristic) in the engines of the first ones that were made, but it became so iconic that they’ve tuned them ever since to produce the same sound – it’s very much avoidable, but it’s so much of a signature that they choose not to!

David, thanks for the explanation, I understand where you’re coming from.

I’d also like to speak up and say I think that people can be too harsh to ableist comments on here – I know it really upsets some people, but I think that it can really come off as hostile and spark arguments with good people that just made a mistake and are slightly confused by it. I misstepped a few times myself, just through not realizing that using words like “crazy” implied that these people’s awful way of thinking wasn’t their own fault but due to a brain disorder, and that people with brain disorders (I’m on pills myself) were somehow dangerous.

But more simply – Flint, it can upset people here. Can you try to avoid it?

PatrickC
PatrickC

Makes me think of this classic Simpsons bit.

davidknewton
davidknewton

Also, is Gamergate still going or is it just those two wallies and their terrible overbudgeted undertalented documentary film remaining? I haven’t seen it doing a whole lot of… anything. (While we wait for that to come out, I did finally watch Lust in the Time of Heartache after hearing so much about it. It… was a treat I wasn’t expecting.)

dudeinthewoods
dudeinthewoods

It’s hard to maintain your cool and perspective when family (inlaws) use your disability to drive a wedge between you, your spouse and your children, my apologies if I was harsh.

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

SFHC and pandapool, that’s a sentiment I’ve seen expressed in comments here and elsewhere on several occasions. Seems to be a common perception out there. As I said, I don’t believe that’s the thing about ableism that is a problem. I agree, that has little to nothing to do with the issue. SFHC, there was a response to flints comment after yours telling them to “fuck off” which is what I was responding to as being a bit over the top, imo.

So anyways, even when people AREN’T saying “oh he’s crazy, he couldn’t have been expected to control himself”, any mention of mental illness/depression/personality disorder/whatever potentially being a factor seems to bring out the most vitriolic responses from some commenters here. I understand y’all get sick of explaining ableism on the daily, but you realize you’re not explaining it to the same person over and over, right? I mean I’m sure it starts feeling that way. But ableism awareness just isn’t mainstream, so people are going to come here without an understanding pretty frequently. Strikes me that it’s more beneficial to those who are victims of ableism to share what it’s all about.

I’m sorry, I know everyone hates going down the ableism rabbit hole every other day. And nobody here is obligated to be “nice” or “kind” according to my standards. Just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Yeah, I’m trying to give them one chance before going into argh-not-again mode, but to be fair, we’re all just sick of it after the utter clusterfuck that was the Nolan thread (like, even moreso than usual). By the end of that one, I wanted a keyboard macro to do it for me. =P

You wouldn’t get snippy having to do this in almost every thread to people who are purposely being obtuse and as obnoxious as possible? Because it’s mainly the trolls who are doing this or the assholes who just post that “this guy is C~R~A~X~E~H~~~~!!!!” and are never heard from again.

Honestly, everyone who post meaningful comments either already understand ableism or quickly apologize and correct themselves. We don’t automatically snap at people, it’s the assholes who KEEP doing it or the people who do it when earlier in the thread we JUST EXPLAINED WHY THIS IS BAD that we tell to “fuck off”. These are people either trying to disrupt or people who jump in with no clue about the rules or what the conversation is about.

megpie71

To be honest, if he’s happy with it, no harm, no foul. No reason to mock, either, as far as I’m concerned. Yeah, it’s not to my standards, but then, I’m not living with him, so I don’t get a say in how he lives. I mean, okay, he clearly lives in an area where he’s not able to access on-street parking for his bike, or where the vehicle theft rate is high enough to make it safer to keep his transportation in his bedroom, but aside from that… well, can’t really say much. He either cleaned the place before he took the photo, or he’s just moved out after an argument with Mum and Dad, is my guess.

I have to wonder whether he lives on take-away, though, since there doesn’t appear to be anywhere in that space set up for cooking or eating – not even a kettle or a coffee machine! If this is his room in a shared house, then okay, he probably has access to shared cooking facilities (and I do hope he’s neighbourly and actually cleans them up after using them). But otherwise… I suspect the next things on his internal list of “furniture to purchase” may well be a bar fridge, a kettle and a microwave (maybe also a bedside cabinet to store food-type stuff in, too?).

weirwoodtreehugger

A compromise? If we agree to stop saying fuck off at the first offense, will people stop doubling down when asked to knock it off?

Also, like, it’s in out rules which people should read before posting, like every other goddamn forum.

@WWTH

Yes please. Hell, I’d weld a spork to my forehead if it stopped the doubling down.

Mike
Mike

@davidknewton

My understanding is that it’s still a thing in the same way that lots of hateful internet subcultures are. That is: it’s no longer the energetic movement it once was – trying to get particular sites shut down and achieve widespread cultural change and all that – and has instead coagulated into a handful of message boards where people complain about “SJWs,” post hateful crap, and sometimes coordinate misogynist harassment campaigns. Sadly, I think it’ll be around, in some capacity, for a while – hateful subcultures die slowly on the internet…

kupo
kupo

I get where the “fuck off” was coming from, considering the poster didn’t sound receptive to feedback but rather defensive and unwilling to look at why it might be ableist before knee-jerk responding. It does get old. That said, they were understanding of the sexist part so maybe one more patient explanation before telling them to fuck off would help. ^.^

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I told you. Forehead spork.

alaisvex

Not to mention the doubling down looks even worse when the doubler down explains that xe really, really wants to blame things on mental illness because xe believes that it will better society. See: Nolan thread

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

David Newton said much better what I was trying to get at. SFHC, I don’t take issue with the comment you left flint, sorry I wasn’t more clear in my first comment.

Bina
Bina

“Why would I want to wake up to anything other than this in my bedroom???”

Oh, I dunno…diesel fumes, maybe?

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Bina

Diesel fumes will get you high. Maybe that’s what he’s going for – it’s not a motorcycle, it’s an oversized bong.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Hi everybody! :waves: I see some new stuff here and there and of course the same old disgusting stuff here and there.

Speaking of motorcycles, I would like to ride one someday. My mom likes Harly Davidsons and my brother likes Ninjas. I agree Harleys are very loud and I heard from my brother that Ninjas are easier to drive. Anyone know what their favorites are or which ones are the best in their opinion?

It’s sad to hear about Ivy, poor Ivy and I’m not going to talk about ableism, everybody has got that covered.

Moocow
Moocow

Anyway, back to Arkham Knight.

Reminds me of Anita’s video series where she lists off 15 games with the plot of “your wife/girlfriend/lover is killed and you must go rescue your daughter”. It’s sad to see yet another game go that route.

I really wish more people would take video game storytelling more seriously both inside and outside of the industry. I feel like we could solve these problems faster if more fucks were given.

dudeinthewoods
dudeinthewoods

@Fruitloopsie

Maybe check out the Ural Gear Up, basically a Soviet Army bike with sidecar and 2 wheel drive. A buddy had one and they are a hoot, it put a smile on everyone’s face and it’s pretty decent off-road if that interests you.

Bina
Bina

vurnerable

He’s used that non-word twice. Either he’s trying to mock a Japanese accent, or he’s decided to Go His Own Way from correct spelling, too.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

dudeinthewoods
Thanks. I’ll take a look at those now.

Bina
Bina

D’OH! Yes, that’s a possibility I hadn’t considered. Bet it’s a damn sight cheaper than real pot, too!

(The next-day headaches, though, are still not worth it.)

brooked
brooked

@Had To Be Said

David:

Maybe people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones?

You recently posted this video revealing that you are a middle-aged man who owns a futon. While that “bed” is arguably one step above an air mattress, most of us get out of the futon phase by 25. The apartment that you reveal in your video is pretty much indistinguishable from Motorcycle Man’s, except that it looks like less fun is had there.

I mean, aren’t you a MGTOW except for the voluntary part?

Oh burn, another MRA wit has no doubt reduced our host to puddle of tears. You’re middle-aged! You have a couch that can be folded out and used as a bed! Something something no sex!

I’m surprised he didn’t mention the ironic yet adorable twee cat paintings. They stood out the most to me and I now imagine David writes this blog to a constant stream of Belle & Sebastian.

Re: The motorcycle
I don’t know anything about bikes, but a friend of mine was forced to park one in his apartment for some reason and they aren’t odorless and leak some sort of goo.

alaisvex

If he wants to sleep on an air mattress, more power to him, but why deny himself the comforts of a bed and some actual sheets just to stick it to the ladies?

marinerachel
marinerachel

Obvs, nothing wrong with living simply. This guy is bragging about it as though it’s extravagant and something you can’t have in a relationship with a woman. If he’s happy that’s great but nothing he possesses is unique to MGTOWs or difficult to attain. As we’ve all stated.

Nothing shameful about his surroundings but there’s def something shameful about the fact he thinks they’re brag-worthy and something dudes in relationships with women can’t have.

I keep my bikes indoors because I’m stuck in an apartment right now without a storage unit or bike lockers. I have to suspend a couple from the ceiling. It sucks. I’ve never brought someone into the apt and said “See what being single affords me?”

Bina
Bina

Really. I mean, who’s going to get mad, miss his participation in the mainstream of life, or do anything other than laugh in a pitying sort of way, at this guy for setting the living-the-dream bar so very low for himself? Now, if he had a well-maintained antique silk quilt and some high-thread-count sheets on that jobbie, maybe, just maybe, I’d feel a twinge of “Aw, dang”. But this? Come on, dude. We’ve upped OUR game, so UP YOURS!

alaisvex

Yeah, at least give us a half second to consider that maybe we’re missing out on nice sheets or at least appreciate that he has good taste in sheets, in spite of his otherwise negative personality.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLOCKQUOTE MAMMOTH!

Robjec
Robjec

Idk, I get the feeling anyone sleeping with their bike in their room is in a bad neighborhood, and that he is just trying to make the best of it. Our of all the things you could of made fun of I don’t think this was proper.

You can make fun of someone for having horrible views, but to make fun of someone for trying to make the best of a situation, no matter what forum they chose, should be something we are above. 🙁

@Robjec,

I don’t think that anyone is making fun of him because we think that he’s unable to put his bike anywhere else. We’re making fun of him because he seems to be saying that he’s keeping his motorbike in his room solely because he thinks that it might annoy the girlfriend that he doesn’t have.

Robjec
Robjec

Also I just read killing joke so maybe I can comment on why it was put in the game.

Killing joke was a good comic, a very good comic. But a very dark one. The thing it was trying to show is that something horrible happened to a wonderful person, because batman is more worried about sticking to his own code of honor then actually stopping the villain.
You are supposed to be disturbed by this, if you weren’t something is wrong with you. The story was supposed to show the worst thing the writer could put in a comic (abuse and torture, plus naked pictures, but not rape for anyone who hasn’t read it but has heard about it)

The point is, batman isn’t a good hero, neither is gordan, they aren’t protecting the people, they are enabling criminals. In this story batman made the joker, and the Joker wanted him to kill him but he wouldn’t.

In the end that’s why it’s so famous (besides being the most accepted joker orgin)

Batman does bad things. You aren’t a hero. Your a bad guy who causes others pain. So it will get recycled again and again and I’m ok with that. Because it is serving it’s purpose. And it is honestly the best American comic I’ve ever read.

Robjec
Robjec

@alaisvex

OK I was just saying how I interpreted it. I agree with you guys on alot, but I seem to think about things differently then alot of you, including some disagreements about how somethings seem to be interpreted by most people here, so I feel like I should share my opinion. Even if that’s not what you ment that’s how it seemedoes to me. Sorry if I misinterpreted :p

Dif perspectives are always welcomed. As long as they aren’t an MRA or anti-feminist one.

Robjec
Robjec

Naw that would be dumb, feminist have done a lot to make sure I have equal rights (I’m pansexual and gender fluid )

Had To Be Said
Had To Be Said

I spent some time on reddit trying to figure out Motorcycle Man, whose screen name on reddit btw is SergeantDickhead, so everybody here could have been calling him that already but you lost out.

He is 23 years old

He recently graduated college and works full-time “in management”

He lives in a 420 sq ft efficiency apartment with no windows and “loves it”

He refers to his motorcycle as “she”

He is really into cooking, especially bread, and takes a culinary class

As a younger man he took “The Red Pill” and became a practicing PUA

But he learned that he didn’t really like women and only had a biological urge to have sex with them

So he became a MGTOW and uses porn two minutes a day in the morning “as a useful object that keeps me away from women”

He has struggled with depression but feels that MGTOW philosophy has helped him “find its source and exile the cause through logical thinking”

He occasionally revs himself into a Ten Minute Hate so that he doesn’t forget how much he loathes women:

“A year and a half later, I prefer to piss myself off about women sometimes. It keeps me vigilant to the bullshit. Coming “to peace” and forgetting about women takes my wall down. I don’t like the feeling of being copacetic With women.”

He knows about this post on Mammoth and has this to say about it:

“I have recently learned that people uncomfortable with their own life tend to worry about others. The man who enjoys himself and his life frets not about the life of others.”

@Robjec,

That’s cool. I was more trying to explain that I wasn’t trying to rag on him for potentially not having enough money with my comments on the air mattress. I was worried that it might’ve come across that way.

@Robjec

Sweet. I’m pansexual and genderquestioning I think maybe I have no idea sometimes I feel things there but like sometimes I don’t and I feel like one thing but without the thing YOU SEE MY DILEMMA? I just roll with it I dunno what’s up so I mean pfffff I have no clue.

He refers to his motorcycle as “she”

Normally, I wouldn’t question this because that’s what people do, but considering he has it in the bedroom, but, like there’s that guy that had sex, with like, 700 cars dough.

I hope he finds real help for his depression, though.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Re: Batman (this will lead to a different subject)
I was watching Justice League Gods and Monsters “Twisted” on YouTube because I saw a pic of Harley (she is one of my favorite characters????) and I wished I didn’t because it was way too dark for me. I really like Harley Quinn but Batman not so much.

Plus don’t read the comments too many mangry men complaining about feminists and sexism (just like most sites and comment sections). “Stop complaining about Harley in lingerie, it’s sexy! Why complain about fictional women being sexualized when you b**** about wanting to dress how you want?”

And I was thinking “meanwhile some men are calling sexualized men (ex. magic mike) “gay” and whining about men being objectified and male beauty standards”

I think the problem is that when I see fictional women and girls in video games, shows, etc for example taking showers I feel uncomfortable because she’s in a “vulnerable” state but when I see characters like Bayonetta well ok she’s sometimes naked and you can see her butt when she’s dancing but I feel somewhat relieved because at least she’s not in a “vulnerable” state. She likes the attention, being fabulous and enjoys every minute of it. And that’s one of the reasons I like Harley. I find that some female characters who try to be sexy more entertaining to me because they have more personality, they’re funny and they enjoy being themselves. As long they are not there just to be decoration, “verbal and physical” punching bags and being killed like in GTA then it’s fine with me.

Robjec
Robjec

I forgot about car guy. Idk, referring to a car of boat as she is normal so maybe that’s it. It does make it a bit strange :p

I have just looked this up and I love it.