davis aurini jordan owen sarkeesian!

Sarkeesian Effect duo split again! Aurini demands another $15,000, Owen disowns him

Ah ha ha ha ha ha! The Sarkeesian Effect duo have split up again! It’s a Fourth of July Miracle!

So today, a furious Jordan Owen put out a video denouncing his now ex-partner Davis Aurini. Why? Because Aurini is demanding another $15,000 to edit the “film” and has set up a fundraiser without Owen in order to raise it.

According to Owen, Aurini has been “dicking around” with the footage for months in hopes of squeezing more money out of the project’s backers. Owen is having none of it, and is telling the backers not to give Aurini another cent, saying that he (Owen) will be editing the footage himself and putting out the film on schedule.

Also, the alleged “big reveal” that was going to come out in the “film?” According to Owen, Aurini decided based on watching one of Sarkeesian’s videos that she had been raped by her father, and was evidently shopping around to find a therapist who would agree to say as much on camera. Aurini’s completely unqualified internet diagnosis: that was their big reveal.

Just watch the video. It’s delicious.

And here, below, is Aurini’s fundraising video, which is what Owen is reacting to. Aurini’s unctuous, earnest tone is especially hilarious in the wake of Owen’s denunciations. Also his repeated references to “we,” as if Owen is on board with him.

At one point he assures would-be backers that he’s “streamlined” his life so he can work on the editing of The Sarkeesian Effect full-time. “As well as writing and doing Youtube videos, which I regularly do,” he adds. “And the podcast.”

Also he needs to do more filming.

He’s evidently hoping to keep the gravy train going until September.

Apparently he’s been so busy with the full-time editing (and writing and doing Youtube videos, which he regularly does, and the podcast) that he’s forgotten to shave his head.

And he seems to have fired his skull.

H/T — @srhbutts

Tracy
Tracy

I hate to say it because it feels disrespectful to one of my favourite film directors, but with hair Aurini reminds of a younger John Waters.

For some reason, I think he looks like an oatmeal cookie.

Nitram

If you’re gonna have this much internal strife while doing a project, you may want to keep it private when you are appealing the public for money. This is less than impressive and totally unprofessional. Imagine if 2 feminists were having this sort of repetitive fallout. It would be “they’re so emotional and not cut out for serious business!”

Hoosier X

The Sarkeesian Effect has its own entry on IMDB

What are the “M.J.” in Aurini’s name, I wonder?

Also, that page has been up since October. Why weren’t we inform sooner? HMMM?

sn0rkmaiden

@Tracy,

a hairy oatmeal cookie?

ej
ej

I find it interesting that the only people (besides Owen and Aurini) credited in the cast are Jack Thompson and Anita herself. I’m not familiar with film making, but wouldn’t they need some kind of consent from her to list her in the cast? I sure as hell don’t think she wants to be included.

Kestrel
Kestrel

@Kirbywarp – Bravo! A dramatic reading of your post is better than anything those 2 asshats will ever create.

@Cerberus – thank you for that post. Their tantrum does seem more understandable from that angle. It is still childish as hell but that makes more sense than anything I have come up with since this nonsense started.

OT: I was reading a post that Leigh Alexander when describing people who play games as players, or an audience, rather than gamers on Offworld. I feel really conflicted about this. She says it is more inclusive that way, and I have no reason to disbelieve her. However, as a woman who has been gaming for decades and fought to be considered a gamer, I feel like that erases my experience. Do any other women feel that way?

Moocow
Moocow

@Pita

Although I absolutely love shu takumi’s work and I think the ace attorney has some of the best characters in all of gaming, but Maya Fey is a damsel in distress and mia fey is also overly sexualized. It’s impossible to deny that.

Pearl, on the other hand, is an amazing and complex character. And I would argue that Athena Cykes is one of the best female characters in video games.

@Kestrel

Considering “gamer” is a gender-neutral term used to describe people who play games, there shouldn’t be the need of any other word to describe us. “Players” are for baseball and football, “audience” is for someone who watches, “gamers” is a term for people who play games, whether video games or table top or whatever. It is NOT a term we will let some assholes take from us for think we’re not gamers because we’re women or play “casual” games or whatever. Saying that the term “player” is more inclusive is just letting those assholes who think we aren’t gamers win.

So fuck that shit. And fuck her for thinking that. I am a fucking woman, and I fucking game so I’m a fucking gamer. Fuck anyone who thinks otherwise, even with good intentions.

I’m tired of people giving up on things because they aren’t “inclusive”. MAKE it fucking inclusive then! Don’t let people push you out of shit for nothing! Scream what you are from the hilltops and don’t let anyone tell you anything different!

*flips tables*

I feel like I’m being dramatic, but, fuck man. IDK, maybe it’s because I’m in a Dragon Age kick playing as a Dalish. I’m tired of fucking shemlens shitting in the punch bowl.

I’LL BE AS DRAMATIC AS I WANT!

*flips tables, again, spilling punch everywhere*

Lordcrowstaff
Lordcrowstaff

@Pandapool: how typical for the knife-ears to make a big scene about inclusion. The maker will see your kind eradicated sooner rather than later.

(Yes, I’ve just finished playing Dragon Age II. I’m quick, ain’t I?)

On topic: Owen seems ALMOST like he’s not an asshole. He’s talking like he’s a rational, caring human being. Then you remember the film he’s producing…

@Lordcrowstaff

(Just you wait until I find an elf gif. And elf MAGE gif. That’ll teacha…)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kestrel and Pandapool

I don’t play computer games so forgive me if I’m missing something here, but why is ‘gamer’ such an issue? Is it not just a term for people who play computer games? If so, then presumably anyone who plays the games is a gamer by definition?

I don’t understand why

(a) it’s something people can deny anyone (it’s not like there’s an exam presumably?)
(b) why it’s so important to be identified as such?

To me it’s like debating whether someone is a ‘hiker’ or something (Do you go on hikes? Yes. Then you’re a hiker)

What am I missing here?

Lam
Lam

Maybe someone can help me understand some things.

What exactly is the subreddit /againstmensrights?

Because I read the link in one of David’s articles and Sarkeesian was the topic. I saw like like maybe one person there defend her. I saw someone that sounded like an MRA in his comment and I wondered if it was actually a MRA sub thingy of some type, but then I saw several people that suggested they were feminists in their comments saying stuff like ‘even the rest of us hate her’ so I wondered if Sarkeesian actually did something terrible that I hadn’t heard about. THEN I saw someone respond to the one person that tried to defend her with “she gets harassed because she deserves it”(!! WTF?!)

So now I just. What?

I thought she was just a woman who talked about games and feminism. Even if she hasn’t ‘played’ the games, why is her critiqueing warrant so much hate?

Lam
Lam

@Robertshaw

It’s a petty HS mentality, but people do it with everything (do you even lift, bro?)

The notion that you’re more whatever than they are somehow makes you feel superior.

I used to do this before I knew about feminism. It was a sort of defense I guess, being a woman. I would use how “gamer” I was to gain a leg up in anything that might ever remotely involve other women especially, but also to put down guys who dare challenge wether I was a “real” gamer or not, and to make my opinions as a woman seem more valid -.-

Sorry if that doesn’t make sense, it’s hard to explain.

@Alan

We’re on a topic about The Sarkeesian Effect on a feminist website. A feminist website that has had articles on GamerGate. Which is a movement trying to keep gaming as white and catering to cishetro men as possible.

Also, @Lordcrowstaff

Bam. Solas doesn’t like your ‘tude or tea.

Moocow
Moocow

@Cerberus and katz

Seconded and thirded on everything. It pisses me off so much how biased people are in their hatred.

Nostalgia Chick makes a video on sexism in cartoons, pointing out the smurfette principles, distaff counter-parts and what not. And that’s totally fine.

Anita Sarkeesian makes a video on sexism in video games, pointing out distaff counterparts, [i] referencing N-Chick’s original video for a definition of the smurfette principle[/i] and suddenly she’s a liar, scammer, con artist.

It’s like these idiots believe that video games should be immune from criticism because otherwise it may hurt their feels. They can’t possible imagine being capable of liking something while still being aware of it’s flaws.

They’ve got the morality of a toddler: Everything in their world has to be either ‘good’ or ‘bad’. So if video games are sexist, they automatically have to be taken out of the ‘good’ box and go in the ‘bad’ box. This causes them to throw a temper tantrum.

Lam: As far as I can tell, every subreddit eventually turns into a men’s rights site. If that happened to r/againstmensrights, it wouldn’t be particularly more ironic than it happening to r/feminism.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Cerberus:
Well said. Thank you. I can’t decide whether to post a “holds up lighter” gif or a “mic drop” gif in response to that epic, beautiful thing you wrote, so please pick the one you like best and assume I posted it.

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

@Alan Robertshaw: “I don’t play computer games so forgive me if I’m missing something here, but why is ‘gamer’ such an issue? Is it not just a term for people who play computer games?…”

It’s actually a little more complicated than that. There are multiple different definitions of Gamer.

1.) Someone who plays games. This would include board games. This is an uncommon definition.
2.) Someone who plays video games. This would include my parents, who owns half-a-dozen casual games on steam.
3.) Someone who is a hardcore player of video games. This would be equivalent to cinephile for movies.

Since soooo many people play at least some video games (200,000,000 in the United States alone and 2,000,000,000 worldwide) the second definition of gamer is a relative meaningless term. At least in my opinion it is.

Bina
Bina

If I’m crap, then so is Owen for deciding to work with me

Good news, fellas! You’re BOTH crap! (And so’s Thunderfart, just for good measure!)

And speaking of crap:

Jordan: “Our weapon lies with my friend here, SJW scum! A weapon that cuts to the heart of the Social Justice worldview, and that invalidates everything you have ever done or will ever do! You may have bested our men in petty squabbles, but what we bring now is an idea, and ideas are arrow-proof!”

Davis: *loud grunting*

Jordan: “So stand back, SJW scum, stand back and watch as your entire enterprise crumbles to the ground! You will know the name of Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini, as they will be the names of your demise!”

Davis: *PHTHBBBBBBT*

Scout: “…”

Messenger: “…”

Commander: “… Did… did you just poop on our lawn?”

Jordan and Davis: “VICTORY IS OURS! SJWS ARE NO MORE!” *running away*

Yup, that’s about the size of it.

(Clearly, I am not going to get past the fart noises and poop jokes today. Oh well.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Lam and Pandapool

Cheers for that. I still don’t quite get where there can be any controversy about who’s a gamer though [and I appear to have misunderstood the gamergate thing; I thought is was just a bunch of blokes arguing that harassment was a legitimate form of comment on media issues].

I’m sort of familiar with the ‘do you even lift?’ mentality; but that (to me) seems more about what’s the best fitness option rather than a test of identity. I might be missing something there as well I suppose.

But surely gaming is just gaming? Or are they trying to argue you’re only a gamer if you play one particular type of game or something? But that to me is like saying ‘cyclist’ only applies if you ride a drop handlebar bike or something; it’s demonstrably untrue, just by definition. You’re a cyclist if you ride (any type of) bikes and you’re a game if you play (any type of) games.

Paradoxical Intention

Alan Robertshaw | July 5, 2015 at 4:27 pm
@ Kestrel and Pandapool

I don’t understand why

(b) why it’s so important to be identified as such?

What am I missing here?

Leigh Alexander wrote an article about the “Death of the Gamer”, which was pretty much making the point that pretty much everyone plays some form of video game, nowadays, and that “game culture” is embarrassing and not even really a culture, just a bunch of people getting mad over the internet.

I personally disagree with the second bit. I feel there is a game culture, but I do somewhat agree with the first.

So many people play games now, that it does seem silly to want to call yourself a “gamer”, since you don’t call yourself a “movier” or a “booker”, however, I still feel like it’s a good name for someone who’s really into it, like a “film lover” or a “bookworm”, and that’s just down to how you personally feel about it. Do you feel like you love books or movies or games a lot? Do you want to be described by this word used for people who really like those things? Alright.

To your points:

a) There isn’t an exam, but many Goobers would like there to be one, and they do try to issue their own personal “test” whenever someone comes along with an opinion they don’t personally agree with. They just want the ability to say “You don’t belong here because you don’t agree with me/you’re a girl/I just don’t like you!” They want to feel like the arbiters of gaming, and that feeling is there for a lot of “nerdy” culture, especially in comic books.

b) To the Goobers, it’s an important facet of their personalities. However, what they don’t realize is that they’ve made it most if not all of their personality. They feel like if they lose it somehow, they’ll lose everything that makes them themselves.

While the rest of us can feel like it’s okay to share because we have other interests outside of gaming, and we understand that allowing more people in with different opinions and worldviews is good for gaming as a whole, Goobers are clinging to their nostalgia of the “Boys’ Club” with what can only be described as a death grip, not realizing that the games they love so much are still going to be there. No one’s going to retcon history and take Call of Duty away from them, no one’s going to say that there won’t be more shooters made in the future, but trying to convince them of that might as well be pulling teeth.

Sorry if this is word salad, I haven’t eaten yet, and I need to get on that. : P

Lam
Lam

@katz

Hah! I’m so glad I don’t reddit.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ CS and Paradoxical

Ah, starting to make a bit more sense now. So it’s like how anyone who rides a motorbike can be a motorcyclist but only someone who lives and breathes the thing (or owns a Harley) can be a ‘biker’ (as opposed to someone who just uses a bike during the week to commute to work)?

Although they seem to be saying even a woman who lives and breathes bikes can’t be a biker; and certainly no black blokes?

Wow, this is like the General Synod and women vicars!

I’ll check out that article; cheers.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

@Lam

/r/againstmensrights is basically an anti-MRA subreddit. They usually focus on the men’s rights subreddit but will occasionally include sites like A Voice For Men. AFAIK, they are feminists.

Cthulhu's Intern

If I wasn’t against the idea of giving them money, I would want to make this hilarious film a huge success. Not because it’s good, but because it’s bad. Make this the next Plan 9 from Outer Space. We could have viewing parties of the Sarkeesian effect where we can sit in bathtubs and bring skulls!

Robert
Robert

Hoosier X, thanks for the link to IMDB. At the bottom of the page is a “More Like This” section. The first movie listed is “Poultrygeist”. Heh.

Tessa

Paradoxical Intention:
You’re giving me flashbacks to when gamergate started…There was a lot more to the “‘Gamers’ are over” article. There was no “death” and or “dead” anywhere in it. You have no idea how many people twisted that into saying that Alexander wanted gamers to all die, or wished they were dead or something. They were deeply insulted by stuff that wasn’t even in the article. And the article itself was to the gaming industry, saying that gaming has moved beyond the stereotypical “gamer” and they don’t have to make games just for them. Heck, the title is even “‘Gamers’ don’t have to be your audience. ‘Gamers’ are over.”

And the industry wasn’t focusing on “people who live and breathe games” in the general sense, they were focusing on the stereotypical “gamer.”

shsjohnv

@ Tessa:

Well, she was wrong. Those same stereotypical gamers aren’t dead, just dying, and she just showed them the guy in the sensible suit is a Matrix Agent, and in Zion they aren’t that important.

That’s what pissed them off so much. Blue pills up the gills.

Cerberus
Cerberus

Tessa-

What you said. The point of that article was an inside-industry article (the publication it was for was designed around a game designer audience) about how the toxic culture that presumed a narrow demographic of douchebros for all potential titles was ignoring this massive audience of people who enjoy games.

And this is plain to see for anyone who has been paying attention to gaming. For the last while now, grimdark 90s comics-esque “mature” titles about violence and titties or brown-grey first-person shooters brightly saluting to the American flag have been utterly dominating the landscape much to the harm of gaming as an industry.

Not only because it has lead to a particularly toxic strain of douchebro gamers who decide that because they are the most frequently pandered to subset of gaming, that they must in fact be the only “real” gamers out there and therefore feeling justified to grow more and more hostile to things like the presence of women in games, the existence of diverse games or games for children (ask comics fans if pushing out children from comics worked well for them in the 90s), or even innovation in general. As such, there has been a constant narrowing of target audience and constant competition for said narrow subset of the market which has lead to the death of a lot of studios and an arms race where all the companies try and deliver their greys and browns with even more expensive animation than the last company at the expense of gameplay and diversity.

And it’s also lead to some of gaming’s biggest liabilities. Whether it be the noxious XBox Live, the culture of casual harassment in general, the many varied problems in gaming journalism where gaming journalists are expected to be unquestioning mouthpieces and advertising methods of the big studios, the stereotypical gamer image of a foul-mouthed poorly-socialized misogynist racist teenager who’s lazy and addicted to fast food, or the parade of games with lots of problematic content that gets media airplay and forces the industry to rally behind them.

On top of that, the narrowed audience ignores that massive amount who play video games that people have noted when trying to narrowly define “gamers”. Women are about half of the potential audience for games but rarely are shown in media. Ditto for race and sexuality. Similarly different experiences or play styles are often shut out entirely as all the game companies have chased after the 3 Cs (Candy Crush, Call of Duty, Clash of Clans) and so have left huge segments of the market untouched and hungry for media that speaks to them and this has lead to some off-the-wall properties who ignore those rules of who is “supposed to be a gamer” suddenly cleaning up much to the dismay of “twue gamers” (Gone Home, Splatoon, Papers Please, and so on).

Leigh’s article was about how gaming companies harm themselves trying to chase after a fictional tiny market of “hardcore” fans and that they no longer need to base their business models on that stereotype but can feel financially secure going after a wider audience or even a nontypical audience because frankly its true that the label “gamers” now applies to most people on the planet.

And the sad thing is that so many are so invested in the narrow toxic masculinity carousel of using the narrow focus of gaming to justify feeling special that we forget that that was the point of so many years of pushback against the idea that video games were bad and toxic and warping our minds and turning us into little devil worshippers. That one day in the future it would become so ubiquitous that it was no longer something to get beaten up over, but something everyone does and which can be so casually pervasive a mainsteam disney movie can use its concepts as a conceit and not worry about losing the audience. That we could share video games with loved ones, children, parents, coworkers without it being odd or a sign of a stunted childhood. That the stereotypes were wrong and the industry could be big enough to truly allow a dizzying array of diversity.

But instead we’re locked by the sad little gatekeepers who want to make gaming a tool of toxic masculinity, a narrowly supported subdiscipline where they can happily fulfill those toxic stereotypes but hey, they can look down at all those filthy casuals and thus feel “better?” about themselves. Who are having a massive tantrum because now gaming really is about everyone so maybe there will be one game in a thousand that doesn’t even think about them in development or is for women or for queer youth or that references themes they don’t care about or that the person playing with them might not also be an angry 40-something racist sexist man-baby, but a kid or a woman or just not a complete shit.

And they are screaming and pounding their shoe over the unfairness of it all. But the reality is what Leigh said in yet another no shit article pounced on by disingenuous fucks trying to look neutral between a harassment campaign and its victims, that that narrow toxic band harming our medium do not have to be what we cater to as an industry.

That we should no longer have to view an entitled minority of individuals who think that harassment, doxing, and death threats are common currency for any developer who dares step out of their violent ideas of what a line is (what happened to Dragon Age II’s developer, anyone?), but can target that wide variety of human spectrum that is coming now to enjoy gaming because gaming has made it.

And you know what, she’s fucking right. And hopefully this massive harassment campaign has really waved the flag for the industry to see just how toxic this entitled pile of shit has become and how necessary it is for the industry to stop making them the sole and only focus of its marketing machine.

Cerberus
Cerberus

shsjohnv-

Ok three things:

1) Leigh Alexander never once used the word dead anywhere in her article title. I mean, if you’re going to manufacture a whole artificial outrage campaign over some meaningless little article daring to note an opinion you don’t like and which somehow shows that gamers are the true aggrieved minority, you could at least USE ONE THAT ACTUALLY SAYS WHAT YOU CLAIM. Fuck, you don’t even need to read the article to disprove this lie. It’s on the fucking title that appears whenever you link it. Fuck Paradoxical Intention’s initial link says when you hover over it that it’s “Gamers are Over”, not Gamers are Dead.

2) Even if it did say “dead”. So what? The outrage machine that has retroactively seize on that article to obfuscate the origins of their harassment machine against Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian wouldn’t have a point even if they had that fucking point. So what someone said you were dead in a title?

Why should anyone care? That people said your movement was donezo and over? This is supposed to counter and justify death threats, driving people from their homes, and the coordinated attempt to use terrorism and violence to drive women both cis and trans out of gaming in service to a particularly toxic masculinity.

This is Catholic Vote level WTF here. How exactly are we supposed to take this “tough gamer” image seriously when they are reacting like a mean article (that isn’t even a mean article and was in fact rather measured seeing as how it was reporting on a toxicity that had already cost the careers of close friends of hers) as if they were shot with a super powered death gun of extra pain. Male entitled gamer shits are not an aggrieved minority. They are a poison on a hobby I love that has prevented it from growing all in service to trying to make gaming a non-athletic “male activity” insecure guys can use to feel “better” about themselves.

And if they ever want the stereotype of “gamers” to go away, they need to let it instead of screaming their fool heads off anytime anyone tries to point out how diverse the industry and audience have become or anyone tries to create a genuine arts criticism culture like what helped movies grow into their own.

3) I may be off, but given all the Matrix metaphors, I doubt it.

As such, allow me to remind you that the creators of this beloved franchise that has impacted you so much that 16 years later it is your central metaphor are two very strong feminists and that one of them is a transwoman who has often spoken against the exact type of toxic masculinity MRAs and gamergaters trade in.

The creators of your touchstone do not respect you. They never will.

Mari
Mari

Someone on Twitter linked to Aurini being interviewed tonight on a show called “Skeptics and Believers.” I’ve only listened to a few minutes at the end where he objects, among other things, to being called a “fedora” because that’s an insult to atheists, and that’s like calling someone the wrong racial slur. Apparently it’s just bad manners to use the wrong epithet when insulting a member of a specific group.

Oh, his skull is a memento mori, “You pig-ignorant savages.”

I can’t remember ever listening to an asshole this pretentious. And I’ve taken courses in the literary criticism of Jacques Derrida.

Robert
Robert

“Blue pills up the gills.”

That’s almost a koan. I’ll try meditating to it tonight.

weirwoodtreehugger

Wat?

As an atheist, I can say I’ve never looked at “fedora” as an anti-atheist slur. That doesn’t even make sense. Not that I expect dollar store Lavey to make sense.

Mari
Mari

wwth, the fedora comment was one of the more… [searches for a word, throws out “comprehensible” and “logical,” discards “logical” and “rational” with a snort, settles for…] coherent things he’s said in the bits I’ve heard.

I’m very pro-fedora. I love fedoras and am upset they’ve been co-opted by…whomever. I don’t want to tag the wrong group and incur Aurini’s disapproval. But fedoras should be a protected class of headgear.

And OMG, his closing comments! He vividly describes drawing and quartering as the appropriate way to deal with SJWs.

Now I have to go back and listen from the beginning. From comments, I expect to hear a lot of droning about his theories on the art of cinema.

Fabe
Fabe

Slightly off topic here but I found the WHTM steam group and was wondering how I can join?

Zan
Zan

Heh, they’re at it again… this trainwreck just gets even more hilarious with each article. xD

Also, to comment on the whole “gamer” term, as a gamer who’s been sick and tired of GG’s bullshit ever since it started:

As said above, I consider myself a “gamer”. I spend a lot of time playing games, reading, writing and drawing about games, and have an interest in the media form of video games in general. And I don’t see anything wrong in having specific terms for hobbies and interests you like and feel are important to you. While games are certainly not my entire personality or the most “important” part of my identity, and I do have other interests, video games have for years been an important hobby of mine that I’ve felt really close to. So in that way, I kind of consider my game interest a “part of me” just like I do with my other hobbies and interests.

Sure, everyone plays games nowadays, so because of this, some people claim there’s no need for the term (and I get it, because it’s just “interest + er”, it kind of sounds like a generic term for everyone who does this thing that almost everyone does nowadays). But for some, it’s a more “important” interest than others – rather than just playing some or other game now and then, they typically are passionate about games and like “video games” as a medium. And we do have terms for people very interested in movies and books, so what makes games so different? For comparision, I also watch movies, like most other people. I like a whole lot of different movies. However, “movies” as a form of media by themselves is not something I’m interested in to the same extent, so I see no need for or interest in calling myself a “cinephile” or “movie buff” or something.

HOWEVER – and this is the important part – whether you’re “interested enough” or “a real gamer” is not something someone else can decide, or tell you that you “don’t belong because such and such”. If you consider yourself to like games enough to call yourself a gamer, then that’s what you are, even if all you play is Angry Birds and Candy Crush (though I can’t say I have really seen many self-proclaimed gamers like this). There’s no “right” or “wrong” way to be a gamer, all you need to do is to like video games (of any kind!) and consider yourself one. And I certainly don’t feel “threatened” upon seeing people like this join the “group”, or seeing many different kinds of games existing, even when they are games I certainly wouldn’t play myself. (On the same note, even if you’ve loved games all your life and spend a lot of time playing them, but don’t want to call yourself a “gamer” for whatever reason, that’s fine too! Labels like these are only for the people who want to use them.)

So yeah, I fully understand why some people don’t like the term (especially after last year), and I certainly don’t have much in common with (or really much respect for) the stereotypical “gamer”, but as a term for “someone who loves video games”, I’m fine with it and see a “point” in it. So, just my opinion I guess

shsjohnv

@Cerberus:

Um, did you read what I actually said?

I was saying the GATERS were taking the blue pills. And yes, there was a bit of ironic mocking that a film meant to quietly satirize WASP power through Gnosticism is usually twisted by the very people it was criticising.

Geez man, check if you’re pointing your gun at your own side or not!

shsjohnv

Reading it again, yeah I should have made it a little clearer I was talking about the Gaters.

But still, I don’t like being the windmill.

Mewens
Mewens

“this is gonna be a short video”

/me looks at length — 11 minutes and change

When I asked for a content warning on these chuckleheads’ videos, this wasn’t what I was thinking … but it _does_ set the tone well.

Bina
Bina

Coming from a trilby* who uses the n-word with a relish, that’s downright rich.

*because most Menz Rightzers who think they’re wearing fedoras (as a shortcut to being Interesting Men of Character), are actually wearing the fedora’s douchey little small-brimmed cousin, the trilby.

April

Shit, people who organize themselves around a thinly-veiled premise of hating women and duplicitous conspiracy theories turned out to be cannibalistic assholes? It’s almost like you’d have to a habitually dishonest paranoid with a notable difficulty at exercising reason and good judgement to believe in their basic pitch.

April

Also, I miss the skull. 🙁

shsjohnv

@ April

So do I. It was the least thick individual in this entire song and dance.

Probably why it was fired, actually.

Cerberus
Cerberus

shsjohnv-

Sorry. I’m just on a little bit of a hair trigger on the gamergate fucks cause they’ve targeted some close friends of mine. I should’ve asked for clarification before going off though.

shsjohnv

@ Cerberus

I know how you feel. Seems that the only people who invoke the Matrix don’t actually understand it. At all.

You could say they are never following the White Rabbit.

Michael Lindsay

That pair is ripe material for a very dark sitcom/soap opera.

With skulls.

April

The 2nd video gets better the longer you watch it. Like, the amount of douche on display. Holy shit.