kitties off topic open thread

Open Thread for Non-Personal Stuff: Kitten in a beanbag edition

I think I need one of these.
I think I need one of these.

After that last post, I realized we were probably overdue for one of these. As always with these open threads, no trolls, no MRAs (or people who bear a striking resemblance to MRAs).

EJ (The Other One)

So I’ll start, because I have good news to share.

I work for a megacorp. Two months ago my company announced that in order to shore up its flagging share price, it was going to fire 30% of its staff. One month ago, I was told that I was going to be among that 30%. I was surprised at this, since I’m one of the best people in the team; but then it emerged that my boss and everyone else working for him had been told similar things.

So I’ve been stressed as hell and interviewing around left and right while serving out my notice.

On Thursday I had a job interview. It was for a job I would love but didn’t think I could get, and applied for mostly as a feat of optimism. I was surprised to have been interviewed at all. I was worried about it, didn’t think it went well, et cetera. I was despondent.

Yesterday, as I was leaving the office and walking to the train station, my phone went off. It was an HR person calling me about the job. Now, there’s nothing in this world I loathe more than an HR person, especially when they’re talking in a circular way in order to build up to the punchline, so I was pretty pissed off.

“You got the job,” she said. “You had some of the highest scores on our tests that we’ve ever seen. We want to give you a 25% salary bump too. When can you start?”

What a wonderful way to start a weekend.

Kootiepatra

Many congrats EJ (the other one)!

My good news is that I will be taking a vacation with my family in less than two weeks. It’ll be our first trip together in about twelve years, so we are super overdue. It’s a cruise. Should be fantastic. 🙂

I love my job, but I am also very ready to not do my job for a couple of weeks.

teuthic
teuthic

I have job-related news as well! Today, I’m starting my new job at a vet’s office. This is really exciting for me, since it’s the first time I’ve ever actively gotten a job in a field I want to work in: not a place I applied to out of desperation just to pay the bills. I feel like I’m passing an adulthood milestone, so I’m super anxious but also really excited.

EJ (The Other One)

You go, teuthic! That’s an awesome milestone.

Kootiepatra, have a great cruise. Where are you heading?

sn0rkmaiden

I’m sure most people have already seen it, but this story I read made me smile:

The gist is that a man who mocked Caitlyn Jenner by posting what he thought was a photo of WWII soldiers in battle (to illustrate human bravery), was in fact in photo from an art project by a man who had survived a near fatal transphobic attack. The man who originally sort to mock Jenner did a 180 and took back everything he had said against her and other trans people.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Congratulations on all the great job news, EJ and teuthic!

I hope that your vacation is fun and relaxing, Kootiepatra.

sunnysombrera

Shit is hitting the fan in Argentina.

The URL sounds horrifying, and the case indeed is, but now Argentinians have started to rise up against femicide and domestic violence which is apparently a serious problem in the country.

Luzbellix, if you want to chime in on this your words will be much appreciated.

Kootiepatra

@EJ (The Other One) – Alaska. Reallly looking forward to it.

Andrew Freeman

So, I was just reading Roosh’s ‘review’ of Mad Max Fury Road. Same stuff as you’d expect, but he raised a comparison to another Charlize Theron movie, ‘The Road’. Any thoughts on that? Here’s the link: http://www.returnofkings.com/63931/mad-max-is-only-the-latest-offense-in-hollywoods-long-tradition-of-social-engineering/

RC
RC

So, I don’t know who did it, but a while ago on a sad puppies thread someone recommended that I take a look at the Confederation series by Tanya Huff when I was lamenting my lack of good sci-fi to read. On the chance that they might take a look at this thread let me just give a huge thank you. That series has been amazingly fun to read and I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it 🙂

My biggest regret so far is that there appears to be no good way to contact Tanya Huff to let her know I enjoyed her series. Her only bit of social media seems to be a livejournal account (who even uses livejournal any more D: ).

But yes, it’s been fun, thanks to the cool person who recommended it, and if anyone reading this enjoys action-packed sci-fi with a good sense of humor and great characters, well “Valor’s Choice” is the first book in the series.

PussyPowerTantrum, the Lousy Flouncer
PussyPowerTantrum, the Lousy Flouncer

Congrats for the job news, EJ & teuthic! And have a great trip, Kootiepatra!

@sunnysombrera Ugh what an awful, awful case. 🙁 My heart breaks for the murdered young woman and those who loved her. This needs to stop. Just, ugh.

In (much) better news, I’ve been reading about the anti-Islam protest outside the Phoenix mosque and was heartened to find out that a) counter-protesters of all creeds showed up to support the mosque, and b) some of the anti-Islam protesters themselves had a change of heart after being invited into the mosque and interacting with the community there. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/05/30/hundreds-gather-in-arizona-for-armed-anti-muslim-protest/ So some good came out of it, after all.

PussyPowerTantrum, the Lousy Flouncer
PussyPowerTantrum, the Lousy Flouncer

Oh, and I was also interested to read that the protest’s organizer, Jon Ritzheimer, is an atheist. As an atheist myself I’m very interested in bigotry in non-religious circles, and anti-theistic (or anti-religious) bigotry under the guise of human rights seems to be increasingly a thing.

And I get so tired of atheists going “atheism is not a single set of beliefs so there!” whenever someone points out that atheists can also be intolerant and bigoted. Sure, atheism is defined by a lack of belief rather than a set of uniting beliefs, but anti-theism clearly has a set of identifiable beliefs. And considering that statistically speaking the non-religious are likely to come from some of the most privileged populations in the world, I think there’s a real concern that anti-theism could serve as a disguise for older prejudices based on class, gender, and race.

Luzbelitx

@sunnysombrera thanks for the invitation, I was coming to this thread to do exactly that 🙂

I have been rather overwhelmed for the past days. There’s so much going on at the same time,and so much pain has come to light… I’ve been meaning to write an article of my own about the protest, but I kept breaking down and crying each time I started.

I still mean to write it, only… not sure how.

Femicides have been reported in mass media for a few years now, but in the past few months it became clear for everyone that it was a daily occurrence at the very list.

The murder of Chiara, who was 14 and pregnant and was buried alive by her boyfriend with the help and silence of his family, was a definitely a breaking point.

However, many of us were already planning on taking actions, mostly in small groups or oganizations.

When journalists called to the protest with the cry #NiUnaMenos (#NotOneLess), most women were already meaning to do something.

Many outspoken misogynists, men and women, joined the campaign and posed with #NiUnaMenos signs in social networks, and were showered with popular criticism. Here are some images related to the hypocrisy of the police, ministers and “sowbusinessmen”.

The original protest was mean to take place in front of the Congress, but soon people started creating new gathering points covering every main city (and many smaller cities) and province in Argentina. Around 200.000 were present at the congress, and I’ve heard over 2.000.000 protested in the whole country. Protest also took place in main cities of Urugay, Chile and Brasil.

“Everyone” was there: women’s and social movements, political parties, artists, journalists, and lots and lots of families, most of them with young children. There were many handcrafted signs, and some children held signs with their murdered mother’s name. It was heartbreaking.

Mothers of Plaza de Mayo were present among the people, not on the stage though, and I feel the need to mention them, because their fight and work during the last dictatorship became the backbone of the human rights movement in our country.

They have been working with women to stop violence since the return of democracy, and have worked along families of women who were murdered or kidnapped for sex trafficking, including the mother and daughter of Marita Veron, an iconic case of kidnapping which took place over 10 years ago and is still missing, and the family of Wanda Taddei, who was set on fire by her famous musician husband, after which many other men decided to kill their wives in the same way (it was as horrifying as it sounds). Both families, among many others, were also present at the march.

Right after the protests, the national line to assist women jumped from 1.500 daily calls to 13.000. Also, the Justice System decided to suddenly organize a National Registry for cases of violence against women (which we have been demanding for the past 5 years, ever since the national law against violence was passed).

So, there are already visible consequences, and I’m hopeful it will keep getting better. We are all very aware that there’s still a lot of work to do.

I’m really hoping all the misogynist assholes (especially rapists and murderers) are shaking in their fucking shoes.

I also hope very hard this will help build a Latin American alliance in order to fight violence against women. There are already regional Feminist meeting every two or three years, but I think it’s time to take the organization to a new level, in order to coordinate protests and actions in all countries. I am convinced it’s impossible to reduce violence in any given country if we don’t work together through Latin America.

We still have to wait and see how things developed. It looks like it’s getting better, but it has stirred so much pain from my past, and from everyone’s past, that I can’t feel joy without also feeling a lot of anguish.

Anyway, here’s an article from the BBC with some pictures in it.

And finally, here is Evita’s mural in feminist purple light during the protest(many groups gathered under this building and then marched to the Congress):
comment image

Luzbelitx

Woops, it should read “at the very least” and “showbusinessmen” up there.

Nevermind.

Dvärghundspossen

@Andrew: I didn’t bother reading all of it, since it was so ridiculous… Like, Pretty Woman is an example of an anti-male movie where women are portrayed as superior to men? Richard Gere’s character saves Julia Roberts character who’s portrayed as unable to save herself from her tragic life, FFS! Sleeping with the Enemy – he even writes that there’s this “good guy” who always saves “the damsel in distress”, but he still uses it as an example of a movie where women are portrayed as superior to men? Because since the Good Guy in that movie is a “beta orbiter” it somehow doesn’t count that he always saves the woman who can’t save herself?

Whatevs.

And then he starts talking about the Road as if it portrays some forbidden truth – that women give up in the face of the apocalypse. Eh, there’s this one family where this one woman commits suicide whereas this one man carries on. There’s no need to interpret this movie or the book it was based on as saying that women in general will commit suicide if there’s an apocalypse whereas men in general will carry on. That’s just Roosh’s interpretation.
Roosh also seems to think that the Road is a better movie about a post-apocalyptic world than Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome because the former is more realistic. Eh… they’re different genres, FFS, the latter isn’t supposed to be realistic. Plus, if we’re gonna talk realism, there’s some problems with the movie The Road as compared to the book it’s based on realism-wise. People are supposed to be starving but look fairly well-fed… Whereas all of nature is dead in the book, we see a lot of live vegetation in the movie, which makes you wonder why no one is doing any farming.

I could go on, but as I said, didn’t bother to read any more of his post.

Luzbelitx

For those who speak or understand (or wish to learn, why the hell not) Spanish, here’s a song by Chocolate Remix (a local lesbian duet):

No hay excusa para cubrir al que abusa
aquí llegó pa molestarte esta intrusa
todas las que mataste hoy son mi musa
yo vengo a aclararte esas ideas confusas

mente obstusa, que importa si llevaba escote o blusa?
el problema no es la ropa que usa
que no eres el culpable? que yo soy una ilusa?
culpable es todo aquel que no acusa

complicidad se llama este juego
ya dejemos de hacernos los ciegos
vamos cabrón que yo no valgo tu ego
vamos que aquí nos están prendiendo fuego

si se fue de casa, ni una menos
si se puso minifalda, ni una menos
si se pintó los labios, ni una menos
ni una menos, ni una menos, ni una menos!

si baila reggaeton, ni una menos
si te dejó por otro, ni una menos
si vuelve tarde a casa, ni una menos
ni una menos, ni una menos, ni una menos!

vamos mujer baila hasta abajo
menea con esa pollera de tajo
ponte si quieres una tanga debajo
haz con tu cuerpo lo que quieras que carajo!

ni una menos, ni una menos, ni una menos
ni una menos, ni una menos, ni una menos
ni una menos, ni una menos cabrón ni una menos!

sn0rkmaiden

@Luzbelitx, thank you for your informative post. I hadn’t heard about this horrific case, though I’m familiar with the issue of femicide. I hope this tragedy does mark a tipping point in Argentina.

@Andrew, I’m sad to say I read the whole review. How does Roosh manage to type with his head wedged so firmly up his arse? We don’t need a post-apocalyptic wasteland to show us the true nature of women, just look back through history or watch the news and you’ll find plenty of examples of women’s bravery and selflessness. Has he heard about all the women snipers combating ISL? Probably not, because his head’s up his arse.

Btw, I haven’t seen The Road, but glancing through the wikipedia page it looks to me like Theron’s character kills herself after months or years being holed up in their house waiting to be murdered by intruders, I can sort of see how that might lead some people to take control of when they die, it’s not cowardly.

BVH
BVH

@Pussy

“And considering that statistically speaking the non-religious are likely to come from some of the most privileged populations in the world, I think there’s a real concern that anti-theism could serve as a disguise for older prejudices based on class, gender, and race.”

This is a source of good natured ribbing when I confess to one friend I follow some atheist communities: “How can atheists have a community if they define themselves by NOT believing something?!” they exclaim. It’s all good, we both have friends who are atheists and some of them are the most moral people I know.

And then there are the other kind. The arrogant, holier than thou(Oh the Irony!), middle of the road libertarian, flirting with social Darwinism, with a disturbingly tolerance of misogyny and yes, come from a place of privilege. I remember being shocked Thunderfoot was spewing misogynistic crap. Thunderfoot? I had to check for myself:

There seems to be an overlap with several subcultures: libertarians, skeptics, atheists, assholes, the result being many persons in the first three groups use it as an excuse to be an asshole to anyone they don’t this is as clever as they are.

@Luzbelitx

That sounds like some progress to me, and I am wishing you and your country all the luck I can muster. Change will come, there is no place that is protected from it. It’ll be hard but well fought.

@PPT

On a lifhter note. Of course atheism isn’t a single set of beliefs because, you know, we don’t have a set of beliefs at all. 😛

proxieme
proxieme

I forgot who asked me if I still play the forst Borderlands and I’m on my increasingly erratic phone so I don’t want to go looking, so here’s my reply @someone:

Not really. It’s a great game and I’d go back to it in a second, but I am but a lowly console peasant. We have a PS4 in our bedroom and I/we will play the remastered 2/presequel, but – alas – no on one.

We still have a copy for the PS3, but that’s in the TV room and has become my older children’s Minecraft machine. PS+ has had some wonderful indies featured recently and keep downloading them to spur at least the 11-year-old (Papa & Yo, etc), but Minecraft still holds sway.

Papa & Yo seems really heavy for an 11 year old to play.

EJ (The Other One)

I hang around in atheist communities a lot and yes, we definitely have a problem with misogynist assholes; and with assholes of all kinds.

There are some low-rent atheist thugs out there like Thunderf00t (alias Phil Mason) or Justin Vacula, who are merely unpleasant but do nothing more with it than that. More worryingly, people like Sam Harris are tremendously popular and manage to muster a veneer of respectability over their prejudice.

A special shout-out has to be given to Michael Shermer, who is both a charismatic and intelligent human being and also a rapist. Many people ignore the rapist bit because of how charismatic he is: after all, rape is committed by bad people and he can’t be a bad people.

Finally, one must mention Aron Ra, who’s kind of an asshole and an enormous islamophobe, but is very progressive on women’s rights (even for the wrong reason.) I like him but many people don’t.

For anyone who’s having a bad day, a pig eating ice cream:

proxieme
proxieme

@pandapool – For the actual theme of the game*?
Sure.
I haven’t played it *eyes virtual stack of games that I haven’t yet gotten to*, but I was under the impression that it’s more allegorical with nothing explicit. That leaves it as a still emotionally complicated game filled with ambiguity, but I don’t think that that’s necessarily a bad thing. That’s what many of the tales we used to tell to children were, after all, before so much was sanitized – more digestible allegory for some of life’s harsher aspects.
I think – depending on the kid, of course – 11 can be a good age for an introduction to storytelling as a way to process difficult subjects.

But it is heavy.
We also have Hohokum and bunch of other prettiness.

[*For anyone reading who’s not familiar with the game: You’re a young boy with a large monster companion who can help and care for you, play with you, or fly into a murderous fit of rage depending on what’s been eaten/the circumstances. So, Papa & Yo = a young child and his parent with a substance abuse problem.]

proxieme
proxieme

And PaPo & Yo*, sorry.

Kestrel
Kestrel

@EJ (The Other One) & teuthic – Congratulations! That is great! Best of luck at your new jobs.

@proxieme

Oh, no, it VERY explicit, especially at the end. I mean, right at the beginning, we’re showed a real world flash of Quico’s father looking angry with a monster shadow.

Spoilers

After Quico and Alejandra fix Lula, the Monster gets angry and EAT Alejandra.

After that, Quico goes to the temple. At the temple, Quico must turn statutes of his adventures into their real-life equivalent. Here you see the statue of the Monster turn into the real-life equivalent of the events that happened: The Monster eating a frog turns to a man drinking; the Monster scary Quico turns into his father with a belt; the Monster eating Alejandra turns into his father hurting his friend.

And it turns out you can’t sure monster, which means he can’t get Alejandra back, so he has to get rid of the monster completely.

Quico must lead the monster through an obstacle course. Those frogs? Replaced with liquor bottles. The next part involves sacrificing Alejandra over and over again to get the Monster onto the next platform. The final part involves Quico pushing the monster off the edge of the cliff, where it floats down into a tornado-like vortex.

Here’s a vid of the end since I probably missed some things.

End Spoilers

So, honestly, I wouldn’t let an 11 year old play this game alone, because it is NOT a subtle game at all.

Your kid may become upset; if they don’t, you’ll probably have to explain some things.

Luzbelitx

@sn0rkmaiden & pandapool

Thank you for your kind words! We’ll keep fighting! <3

proxieme
proxieme

Good to know.

I still might actually make it available for our 11-year-old (not our 8-year-old).

That does prompt me to do some more research. It may be something that she gets to play only around me. We have a good deal of alcoholism on both sides of our family. Its impact on my and my husband’s childhoods has been alluded to (er, “something to which we have alluded”). She’s asked some questions, but this may actually be a catalyst for more discussion…including the fairly important, “Given your genetic profile, substance use can be a tricky thing, mmmkay?” tangent.

@proxieme

That will probably prompt a good discussion. I would probably discuss it before the game so they understand it before they get to that part, however. It’s better to see things in context rather than think back on them with learned context, in my experience. You may want to play it as a family (minus your 8 year old maybe). Maybe review the video I posted with your husband so you’ll know what to expect, just in case.

The whole lesson of the game is about leaving people that will hurt you, even if they’re your family, your parent. It’s a good lesson to learn albeit a heart breaking way to learn it, as it is based on the creator’s, Vander Caballero, childhood trauma with his own abusive, alcoholic father.

The lesson is condensed into “you can’t cure monster”.

That’s something you’ll probably have to explain better because just because someone is an alcoholic doesn’t make them a monster. There’s some subtleties there that will have to be addressed. Many, many subtleties.

Luzbelitx

Also, for the sake of hope in humanity…

Pay attention, lurking MRAs: this is what self-awareness looks like

Paradoxical Intention

Good news: I’m going to apply to do something within a solar panel company today (hopefully). I also got a bigger memory card for my 3DS, so I was downloading a bunch of demos to hopefully pick a game or two I can save up for. (Gardening Mama and a game that’s like an RPG about running a restaurant/bar seem to be the best ones. Oh, and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright. I have a mighty need for that one.)

Bad news: I slept on my neck wrong, so there’s a kink in it and it hurrrrts. And we’re having macaroni salad for dinner, with lots of my arch-nemesis, pickle relish. It’s also really hot.

Lam
Lam

So, with disabled people being among the most highly exploited groups, I thought maybe we should try to be a bit more aware in making disabled people feel welcome.
I have been seeing a lot of ableist language on here lately. Usually someone will use, for instance, “insane” and people will jump all over them, only to use words like “stupid”, “dumb”, or “moronic” in their next sentence, particularly amongst some regulars.

It does take a lot of thought to eradicate this speech; but I, for one, am going to make my best effort. I do have some tips. I reccomend reading a complete list of ableist slurs and making a note of which you tend to use. Stop yourself before saying it and replace it with “ridiculous”, “ludicrous”, or “outrageous”
Or, if it’s not spur of the moment, you could try out non-ableist — or Shakespearean XD–insult generators. They can be lots of fun!

Dvärghundspossen

Re: The subject of atheism. I was at a dinner party some time ago where I was sat opposite an older dude who announced pretty fast that he was an atheist. I said that I believe in God, but the reasons for me doing so, well, it’s a long story and very personal, and I preferred not to discuss it right now. He was like “okay”.
Then, for the next hour, he continues to over and over and over again steer the conversation towards atheism and how atheism is so much better than religion. Since I’m a polite person I was still politely holding up my end of the conversation, but when he says that one thing which is so great about atheists as compared to religious people is that atheists don’t try to convert anyone, I pointed out that he’d been trying to convert me for an hour now. He completely denied that and said that he’d only made normal, polite conversation, and if I thought he was trying to convert me, well, that must be all in my head and I’m just imagining things. I held my ground, and then he finally changed the subject, but with an air of “okay, I’m giving in to your completely unreasonable demands that I should stop talking about how great atheism is, since I’m such a swell and generous guy”.
*sigh*
And this was in Sweden, where most people don’t believe in God, so he doesn’t even have the excuse of being oh-so-oppressed by the religious majority. He did say that he grew up in a religious household and disliked it, but don’t take this out on me, FFS.

@Dvärghundspossen

Patience might be a virtue but, damn, you don’t have to be THAT virtuous.

Omigod, I’m watching In Living Color and they had a Milli Vanilli joke that wasn’t about them lip syncing. :O

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Dvärghundspossen – I feel like most people who persist in trying to “convert” a person to something aren’t really interested in them as people. I mean, it’s great to be interested in ideas, and it’s not bad to argue them, but if that’s his only reason for talking to you, it sounds pretty self-centred.

@Dvärghundspossen:
“A fanatic is someone who can’t change their mind and won’t change the topic.” It sounds like you found one of those. My condolescences. That’s just impolite behaviour on his part.

I’ve been trying to write this little fictional manual about magic for a couple of months and I don’t know how to end it.

It’s suppose to be one book of many in a series for young spell casters to learn about magic, although those other books won’t be written because this manual is just an excuse to explain how magic works in a simple way for me and readers before I write something more, let’s say, “evil”.

I have:

An introduction

Quick grammar guide (which has to do with how magic is taught)

What is magic

Who can use magic

How magic is used

A part that explains the types and branches of magic

An in-depth overview of (almost) each type of magic in two parts

An explanation between people who can call about magic naturally and those who need to harvest magic to cast it

A part that tells that tells that everyone is better at a certain magic than another

Where the magic is found to be harvested and that’s it

All in ten pages. :/

I’ll probably have to rearrange some sections here and there to make it flow better but I just can’t figure out the conclusion part of the book or whether or not I should include things that I’ve been planning on writing in other short manuals and just have them be briefly mentioned or not. The book is only suppose to be an overview of the basics of magic for children and it’s just frustrating me I can’t figure out the conclusion.

@Jackie:
If the pamphlet is written by a magician in order to educate other magicians, then the conclusion might be an excellent place to briefly explore the mundanity of magic.

To the young magicians, this helps drive home that magic is just another option in their life. They can use iPods and smartphones and cars and jumbo jets too if those help get the job done. Waving a wand to create a meal may be spectacular, but to a magician it’s no different from using a kitchen to create a meal: you do some stuff and then food happens. As such, a magician’s ordinary life will be filled with a mixture of the mundane and the fantastic, and there will be plenty of situations where they’ll use a non-magical solution because it suits them better. Telling newly-magical kids this would be the responsible thing to do.

To the readership, this helps you ground your system of magic in the familiar world and lets them understand that it’s coherent and obeys its own rules and limitations. It makes it less of a plot device and more of an aspect of the fictional universe.

I’d love to read that when it’s done, if I may.

@EJ

Err, it’s kinda not like that. For one, that’s not really how magic works in the world I’m trying to create, and two, the book is “from” the 60s. It’s gonna concentrate on “outdated” ways of teaching magic and theories about it since I’m going to be writing many different books by various author and stuff.

I’m thinking of splitting it into a student/teacher parts since this technically is for teaching. Teaching magic is kinda an old-timey apprenticeship sort of deal. The reason this book is around is because there’s been some shady teaching practices and misinformation being taught generation to generation.

Of course, it’s missing some details here and there about how magic actually works and how it came to be and stuff, but that’s because no one has the technology or fortitude to actually study where magic comes from, exactly.

I’ll just say magic is in the universe, but separated into another plane of existence which cannot be properly access by anyone who has connections to the mortal plane because it would fucking destroy the shit out you; all atoms erased kind of shit. It’s extreme. Although technically where magic comes from is another dimension entirely, the dimension we live in and the magic dimension have never been separated. It’s like if two trees grew from the same acorn and wrapped around each other. There would be a lot of shit messed up for at least our plane of existence if we every lost connection to the magic dimension, too, because our universe depends on the magic universe for a lot of things throughout the galaxies.

Although that isn’t mentioned in the book, I’d just thought i’d share it.

Here, I’ll like a PDF for peeps to read if they’re interested.

Please note it isn’t even a complete first draft so some of the wording could be a little confusing and some of the concepts will likely change,

EJ (The Other One)

Cool. It’s a very scientific sort of magic. It puts me in mind of a lot of Platonic stuff.

@EJ

I had to look up what that was ,and I’m reading it and…

I’m just gonna go with, “Yeah, sure. How magic works in the universe is Platonic. Okay.”

EJ (The Other One)

I’m firmly of the opinion that magic systems are cooler when they’re written in terms of real-world philosophy, because it gives you a huge tradition to draw from and loads of things to reference. For Platonism, for example, it allows you to make reference to the idea of geometrical shapes being used as symbols for The Elements and The Corrupt, and of tables of references between them.

Platonism is an idea which comes from people who wanted to believe that the world was neat and symmetrical and made sense. Whenever they found A, they assumed there was a B elsewhere. Your system reminds me of that a great deal: it makes sense of the world, and provides a neat, helpful way of looking at it. Everything has a box, and everything is in that box. There are no unhelpful missing bits or anything like that.

Platonism also mentions the idea of multiple worlds, wherein things that exist in one cast a shadow on the others. This might be a thing you can use too.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Pandapool:

You might be having trouble ending it like a book because it isn’t quite written like a book, with chapters and sections and what-not. Books that aren’t novels tend to end rather abruptly on the last chapter, maybe with a glossary or indexes and appendices, because each chapter is self-contained and doesn’t need to flow from one to the next.

The format you currently have is more like an information pamphlet, which feels like it needs a conclusion because the sections are all written with the same focus and importance.

I think if you organize what you have into more explicit Chapters and sub-sections, it’d be easier to figure out how to conclude each smaller portion without feeling like you’re concluding the entire book.

Also, I gotta say, I’m liking your system. Some parts of it remind me of a system I was working on a little ways back, which is pretty awesome. I had a similar three-category system of elements, and my categories were even kinda similar to yours in some ways. I had 3 sets of 3 though, rather than 2 sets of 3 sets of 2.

Man… I was even writing stories in that world… I should really go back to it some day.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Huh… now that I’m reading more carefully through…

“Magic” seems like it’s a very physical substance. Like, metal “magic” would be a physically touchable crystalline solid. Is that the case? If so, what’s the difference between “sensing” magic and just seeing a collection of it in front of you, since each of the types of magic have their own sensory properties like color and shape and texture?

How are these substances related to the magical dimension? Are they like strands of spaghetti coming through a colander, where you can sort of “pull” more magic through from the other dimension if you have some to begin with? Or is there some other connection?

*continues reading*

@EJ

Well, admittedly, not all magic is inside neat little boxes. There’s also Undefined magicks, which are very controversial and debated over. It’s because no one knows where magic comes from exactly nor the nature of the plane of magic. And the beings that COULD tell people about their plane are completely unhelpful with the matter, if they come from the magic plane at all. No one knows, really. (Well, I do, but this would become a reeeaaally long comment if I went into details.)

I probably should look up more philosophical and physic things but eeehhhh that’s kinda boring. I rather think about it, kinda like how I thought up the multiple worlds theory and was super bummed out when I discovered it already existed. Talk about nothin’ original anymore.

@Kirby

Admittedly, I’m trying to write a textbook without ever reading a textbook all the way through so I should probably look at an actual textbook for reference. I’ll find a textbook and think about a few more things I can cover before expanding on what I got.

I didn’t mention the magical dimension in it because no one really knows about it. You can’t go there or anything, at least people from this plane can’t.

But, you see, magic starts out in an “unnatural” state called Magos iridis (or Magus iridis, IDK Latin). It is a combination of all The Elements. The magical plane is always making magic so it’s completely 100% full at all times. Because of this, it expands into our plane all over the universe as rips, which aren’t like rip rips, but kinda like…sweat, in a way? Rips come through the plane but it isn’t because the plane is “thin” or whatever, it just does.

When it enters our plane, it turns into its “natural” state where it splits from the “rainbow” magic into the forms we know as The Elements. Some of the magicks don’t split cleanly, however, which create The Corrupt. The Corrupt can also be made through some very extreme measures. Think magical Hadron Collider type deal. The Elements are like uranium and helium, The Corrupt are like Einsteinium and Californium. Making Corrupt Magic isn’t an exact science, however. You just throw all the magic you can find and press it together as hard as you can and hope it combines into something you need because magic has a mind of its own.

But, yeah, you can, essentially, “pull” any Element or Corrupt Magic into the world through the rips until the rip decides to go. You see, magic is both a force and a being, so it decides what it wants to be, where it will be, and what it will do, you see. That’s why it’s hard to use certain magicks for things outside of that magic predetermined abilities and why certain people can control certain magicks better than others. It’s a compatibility thing. Gotta like each other to work together better.

Oh, and the difference between sensing magic and seeing it physically? A lot. I mean, you can see IRL metal, but really only magnets can “sense” it. You can still feel the metals, see it, know its properties but only magnets can be drawn to it, if you feel me?

It’s just, yeah, you can’t always see the magic in its natural form because it’s been combined with other things, like the sword example I gave. But, you know, just because tin and copper make bronze doesn’t mean the tin and copper aren’t there anymore, they’re just combined to make a new material. Magic is nice in a way that it doesn’t always interfere with how things look afterwards, unless a lot of magic is used.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Cool stuff! I’d like to see where you take it!

Fun fact: I only started making the rules up for magic because I wanted to write about vampires and the way vampires are made are through magic so I needed to figure out how magic worked so I knew how vampires work so I can finish writing my vampire anatomy book so I have something to refer to while writing my vampires. 😐

1 2 3 4