a voice for men creepy Dean Esmay men who should not ever be with women ever MRA paul elam

“We’re a group of volunteers dedicated to a cause, and the cause is Paul Elam.” — Dean Esmay of A Voice for Men

ProTip: If you're ever tempted to start a cult, play this video game instead, and leave real people alone.
ProTip: If you’re ever tempted to start a cult, play this video game instead, and leave real people alone.

I sometimes refer to A Voice for Men, the Men’s Rights hate site that has evolved into something of a hate group, as a cult. Up until now I’ve only done so half-seriously; while there are a lot of things about AVFM that are cultish, from the apocalyptic rhetoric to the constant demands for money to the organized harassment of its critics, it seems to lack some of the central elements of a real cult.

I mean, they’re not holed up in a compound in Idaho; they don’t wear funny uniforms; and they don’t talk, at least not publicly, about their single-minded dedication to serving the group’s leader — one Paul Elam of Houston Texas.

Or at least I thought they didn’t.

One of my readers has pointed out to me an interesting moment in a video posted on Youtube last year by a woman — known by her internet handle SworeByThePrecious — who had been talking to AVFM’s Dean Esmay about getting a press pass for AVFM’s conference last year. The video features the uncut audio from a long and contentious 4 AM phone she and Esmay had to discuss the matter. (Ultimately, she didn’t get the press pass; here’s her account of what happened when she caught up with some of  the conferencegoers at a bar afterwards.)

The really interesting bit in the recording — which I somehow missed when I listened to this last year — comes just short of the 23 minute mark, when Esmay pointedly tells Swore that he and other AVFMers are “a group of volunteers dedicated to a cause, and the cause is Paul Elam.” Here’s the audio:

Yep. You heard that correctly. The Number Two dude at AVFM doesn’t say that their cause is Men’s Rights, or fighting the evil “hate group” that is feminism, or any of the other things that Men’s Rights Activists like to say that they’re about. He says, plain as day, that their “cause is Paul Elam.”

If you don’t believe me, you can find the quote in the original video here. (The link should send you directly to that part of the phone call; if not, it’s 22:50 in.)

Now, I’m assuming that this was a Freudian slip on Esmay’s part, but whether it was intentional or not it’s pretty damn revealing, huh?

ryohji
ryohji

@Pandapool: Yes, it was a bit insensitive from me to even remotely link homosexuals to those two lunatics. It’s just that such devotion from Dean toward Paul have so much potential for people really wanting to make an even bigger mockery of AVFM’s two heads (that makes 1/4th of a regular head in total).

PeppaPig
PeppaPig

Hi. I’ve been lurking on this site for a bit.

Maybe this isn’t the most appropriate place to ask, and if not, feel free to let me know, but I was wondering if any of you had advice on getting someone out of the manosphere?

Without going into to much detail, he has recently gone through a nasty divorce and has reacted very badly. He has a legitimate grievance, but has reacted out of proportion. He has latched onto this anti-feminist movement, though I’m not sure which flavor. This is not helping him. I highly suspect it is more responsible for his poor showings in family court than any gender bias is.

Currently, I view him much like I would a badger that’s been tied up in a burlap sack. The badger has a legitimate grievance, but damn if I don’t feel some trepidation in opening that sack.

@ryohji

Please don’t refer to them as “lunatics” either. There are people here with mental disorders and you using lunatic as a slur is very ableist. Not all “lunatics” are assholes like those two assholes, thank you.

Moggie
Moggie

Lea:

How badly would a person need an authoritarian father figure’s attention and approval to
A) pay him to notice them even if that means living on instant ramen noodles?
B) settle for Paul Elam?

You… you shouldn’t talk about senpai that way!
*runs away crying*

EJ (The Other One)

So last month Elam told us that the cause of AVfM is just talking. Now this month Esmay tells us that the cause of AVfM is Paul Elam. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen. What will the purpose of AVfM be next month?

Paradoxical Intention

Oh god, a human spambot that slaps the keyboard until something looking remotely like “edge” falls out.

Careful, we might cut ourselves on all of Tim the Spambot’s edge.

“Lol, I’m so offensive! Humor! I’m so funny because people think I’m a gross asshole! Ahyuck!”

*eyeroll*

This is what we get for allowing Family Guy on the air for as long as we have.

Spindrift
Spindrift

Of all the choices for cult leader…to pick Elam? That’s just sad.

If I ever get sucked into a cult of personality, I know who the personality’ll be.
It’ll be my feminist friend Katie. (All hail Katie!)

misseb47

I know this is totally irrelevant, but I had rather interesting discussion with my rather narcissistic sister while eating dinner last night. 😀 We (my dad, sister and me) were eating pork. My dad was wondering why certain meats are considered appropriate for eating and others weren’t. He asked why it was acceptable to eat pork and not, for example, horse meat. Her answer was ‘because it is not normal’. I said ‘there is no such thing as normal’ “Because you just out and eat goat. Because it is not normal’. (People actual do go out and eat goat. In fact I went to Greek restaurant on my birthday and had some lovely slow cooked goat. YUM!) . But how is that not not ‘normal’, I asked. she said that It is just not normal for Australians to eat it (notice the goal post shift, there. Also notice how she overlooked how multicultural Australia is. There is no one monolithic Australian culture). I told her that Australians eat kangaroo, crocodile and buffalo meat. She she said, then why don’t you see it any of it in the shops? My dad said that kangaroo meat is sold in the supermarket here. And if crocodile was farmed locally, it would be too.She then asked me why I think there is no such thing as normal. I answered that there is no such thing as normal, because we are all individuals and there are many nationalities, cultures, religions, etc. She then starting going on about there is such thing as normal because there are “normal ranges” and that is how bell curves are calculated. I was like-huh???????????????????. She said because I have studied criminology, I should know about statistics and I should know about “normal ranges”. I said in criminology there is no such thing as “normal ranges”, only the mean, the mode and the median-there are only averages. This is true. In criminology and the humanities, there is no normal range, only averages, levels of variance, percentages and rate per 1000 of the population. This is because it deals with real people and their behavior and their culture, not temperatures, chemicals, atoms. There are standard deviations and normal distributions are sometimes calculated and used in the social sciences (in political polling results, for instance), but this has nothing to do with labeling someone or something as normal or abnormal. Rather it is about margin of error and real-valued random variables And it sure as hell has got nothing to do with what meat is considered acceptable to eat and why. How can cultural food preferences be put in a bell curve anyway? This whole conversation was one of those WTF?!?! moments. I was wondering how many logical fallacies and derailing tactics you can can spot? I have spotted several.>:-(

Anyway, sorry for the rant. It is just annoying when people act like they know more than I do about something they know nothing about. It may seem small, but it happens a lot and not just with her. Everything I say is immediately invalidated and dismissed simply because I say it. It really seems that no matter how educated I am or how good I am at something, I will never be taken seriously and I will always be an object of ridicule. GGGRRRRRR!

th1stle
th1stle

@laughnwitch

Bawhahaw! AVFM, et al. attacked the comment section of the Ed the Sock video, crying, “You’re WRONG, stupid sock puppet!”

Do you think they ever leave their houses for reasons besides going to Men’s Rights Conferences, MRM meetups, posting anti-feminist propaganda around University campuses, and stalking Anita Sarkeesian’s tax mailing address? With all the time they spend writing in every comment section of every video, article, and blog that says something negative about them, me-thinks, no.

Spindrift
Spindrift

@missedb47

If it makes you feel any better, people eat horse meat where I live.
You’re right that it’s just a cultural thing, not a matter or normals/abnormals. Pity they refuse to take you seriously, that’s not cool of them.

@misseb47

Tell your sister that several million Americans think eating kangaroo is weird. Like, it’s so weird that while we have kangaroo jerky in (very few) stores, it’s still cut with beef and is given more as a novelty gift than an actual snack. (At least in the area of NorCal where I live.)

I’d would say the same with buffalo and crocodile, but we have those meats in the USA, too, although they aren’t very common in some places. (For instance, someone growing up in Louisiana may consider eating crocodile/alligator normal since they do farm them down there, but may consider someone from Montania eating buffalo weird and vice versa.)

Oh, oh! Tell your sister about Rocky Mountain oysters! They sell them at some baseball games in Colorado.

Do you what they are? Castrated bull testicales fried.

(It’s also the ultimate form of misandry.)

EJ (The Other One)

Hugs, misseb47. Narcissistic parents suck. My mother was similar. Any position which was counter to her instincts was immediately wrong, any position which went along with her instincts was right, and no amount of reasoning could shift the one to the other.

I remember trying to explain to her how gay people were not all victims of child abuse. After about two hours she said, “well, I’ve heard all your arguments and you’ve knocked down all of mine. Let me go away and think of another reason why I’m right.”

Grrr. If you’re not going to come to the table willing to change your position if it’s shown to be wrong, why even bother coming at all? That’s just intellectually dishonest as well as annoying.

(In my mother’s case at least, it was because she wasn’t listening at all. She was just sitting there going “look how smart my son is, with his facts and his logic, look how well I’ve raised him” and ignoring what I was actually saying. So yes. Hugs of solidarity.)

*narcissistic peeps.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’ve actually had rocky mountain oysters before. It wasn’t that bad. A little stringy, but they mostly just tasted like hush puppies.

misseb47

Spindrift-Thanx! 🙁 I think she is just jealous at how much I have achieved academically. It was quite a shock to her that I finished school even though I hated it. She quit school in year 10 and only came back when I was starting my final year. She started university and quit during the first year. She then went back when I was completing my second. See the pattern? She stopped calling me ‘retard’ round about when I was writing my masters. See? She’s jealous. 😀

If you fry anything thoroughly enough, it tastes like hush puppies.

(To the best of my knowledge, Rocky Mountain oysters are still a “novelty” food; lots of tourists and people make a point of trying them, or at least talk about trying them, when they’re in the area, but I’ve never known anyone who habitually ate them just because they liked them.)

@katz

All I know is that they sell Rocky Mountain oysters at some stadium(s) in Colorado, so I assume they’re popular enough to at least warrant some people buying them to eat more than once, like Crackerjacks or peanuts or whatever they sell at baseball games.

But I’m guessing you’re from Colorado (because IDK I don’t remember shit from things) so I’ll just step back and let you talk.

I’m not from Colorado, I’ve only been through there. Never been to a ball game there, so who knows, maybe people really do eat them like peanuts.

misseb47

Sindrift-Thanx! 🙁 I think she is just jealous at how much I have achieved academically. It was quite a shock to her that I finished school even though I hated it. She quit school in year 10 and only came back when I was starting my final year. She started university and quit during the first year. She then went back when I was completing my second. See the pattern? She stopped calling me ‘re***d’ round about when I was writing my masters. See? She’s jealous. 😀

(there is going to be a double post, it was an ableist word and was sent to moderation)

Pandapool-

Exactly. What is considered normal food largely depends on what is local to that region and what can be farmed and grown locally. Crocodile meat can not be seen anywhere in Melbourne, because crocodiles do not live here and cannot be farmed here, it is too cold for them. However, up north that is a different story. Hence crocodile meat being much more common. I do think it is strange that emus are farmed in America, though. =P

Do you what they are? Castrated bull testicales fried.

(It’s also the ultimate form of misandry.)

LOL! I will!! Now she would REALLY call that abnormal. That’s another thing I found offensive about the conversation, she considered it abnormal because it is different. Just because a food is not eaten in one culture does not mean the food and the people that do eat it should be considered abnormal. There is no monolithic culture and she does not have the right to decide what food is and isn’t normal.

EJ (The Other One)-Thanx dude!! 🙁

Total facepalmness! It is impossible to have a debate or a discussion with narcissist because no matter how wrong they are, they are always right! I learned that the hard way, myself. GGGRRRR! Have a hug! *HUG*

misseb47

EJ (The Other One)-My comment to you was “Thanx dude!! <3 Narcissistic parents and siblings do suck. 🙁 "
Sorry for the Block Quote Mammoth! ^^;

@katz

I did a quick google search and one) they’re also in Nevada and many other states (which makes sense because Rocky Mountains), two) they’re popular enough to have several recipes for them online for home cooking, three) they don’t sell well and are sold as more novelty food at Coors Field and four) there’s at least two festivals around eating them.

One is in Virgina City.

The second is called Testy Fest, while Rocky Mountain Oysters aren’t the main thing, they’re still a big part of it.

Both have been going on for at least a couple of decades.

So IDK.

Montana is where I saw them. Whereby I mean “saw them for sale,” because seriously, no.

weirwoodtreehugger

I had them in Idaho when I was visiting a friend’s family’s ranch. They had spare cow bit lying about so they fried some up for us. I doubt they were an every day kind of food.

makingfitzcarraldo
makingfitzcarraldo

Mainstream supermarkets in Florida sell alligator meat. I have known many who eat squirrel, though I’ve never seen it in stores. I recall that horse meat was sold for public consumption, only passed off as something else? There was outrage in the UK. Horses have been used as dog food in the USA. (I’m vegan myself.) Dogs are food in some cultures. I’m sorry your sister treats you that way. I find it so frustrating myself to be told to be nice or that I’m hysterical. So basically have no opinions or say anything? a man says something derogatory and then tells others I said them…. Because I didn’t kiss his ass and go “ohhh but

makingfitzcarraldo
makingfitzcarraldo

My phone messed up my comment. Not jumping in to kiss butt when others make low self esteem comments (fake fishing for compliments bullshit) is my recurring nightmare of “you just aren’t nice enough women exist to stroke egos”. If I jump in with knowledge they brush over me. Seriously, I read comics and they don’t but I have to listen to this over and over?

EJ (The Other One)

If were good and virtuous feminists, there would be no Block Quote Mammoth. It is the scourge of Katie on us to punish us for our sins. Let us repent and thank Katie for her chastisement that we may see the error of our ways.

And yeah. Hugs all around to everyone who’s survived narcissistic family.

EJ (The Other One)

Yeah, that was a big thing here. The Islamic and Jewish communities were extremely pissed off because much of that meat had been certified halal / kosher. If the certification process can’t even tell you what animal it comes from, then the claims about ritual being followed suddenly sound less than credible. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

To be honest, I didn’t notice much. I imagine I ended up making burgers out of horse mince instead of mutton now and again, but they were delicious so that’s no problem. Horse seems pretty edible.

When I worked in northern Italy I had to turn my face away whenever I walked by the meat section of the grocery store, because I wasn’t thrilled about seeing ‘equino’ written on some of the shrinkwrapped steaks. Conversely, when I was visiting friends in Oman I snapped a picture of a sign pointing the way to the ‘pig room’–you COULD buy pork, but it was down a long hallway separated from the rest of the store by two doors.

makingfitzcarraldo-Thank you! <3

It is a pain in the butt, isn't it? There is still the belief that women are emotional/less intelligent and can not be taken seriously just because they are women. It is ridiculous. It is amazing how pervasive that attitude sill is. Sexism is alive and well. 🙁

EJ (The Other One)-Forgive us, oh great and powerful Katie, grant us mercy! We are your humble servants!! XD

Yeah, lots of hugs all around. <3 <3 <3

proxieme

Y’know what? If being “sucked into a losing battle from which I’ll never recover” means reading funny blog posts mocking horrible people – which is what David does here, write funny blog posts mocking horrible people – then I fail to see how that is so awful.

As well as giving us a forum in which we can discuss video games with people who don’t suck, get interesting book recommendations, and read fascinating political/cultural/historic/scientific insights from others?

Oh, the pain
The agony.

If this is a battle, then I guess war is swell.

proxieme

On that: Picked up Witcher 3 yesterday while waiting for our truck to get inspected…and then get new rear brakes. (Turns out that going into Gamestop to “just look around – and, hey, the toddler might like looking at the Amiibo and Disney Infiniti figs!” was a bad idea for someone who’s been watching the previews, reviews, and game play video for months…)

Today’s mantra: I am an adult with responsibilities, including but not limited to not scarring my small child with Witcher’s apparently very well deserved M rating.

proxieme

Also *squints* “these women”?

There are actually a fair number of lovely dudes here.

misseb47

proxieme-I played Witcher 1 and 2 and I am very excited that Witcher 3 has been released. YAY. 😀

gilshalos

*covers her ears* LALALALALALALALALALALA

(my graphics card isn’t up to Witcher 3 🙁

proxieme

What I said to one of my FB friends who lamented that his PC probably won’t up to Fallout 4:

That’s the wonderful thing about being a console peasant – the game will work.
It won’t have the potential to be as shiny as it might be with the newest setup, there are no open mods, and it stays pretty pricey until no one wants to play it*, but it will work○.

* Although some of the games available for “free” on XB Live and PS Plus are actually quite good, especially sone of the indies.

○ Unless it’s hopelessly fracked on release.

brooked
brooked

OK, I looked up Tim since David said he’s shockingly an actual person and found out he’s mentioned during the “Activism Panel Discussion” at the not annual International Conference on Men’s Issues.

I didn’t find anything our pal Tim said, but I found a section where JudgyB describes the strategy behind her Twitter activism that I must share. Yes, there’s a strategy behind JudgyB’s ragey Tweeter feed and it’s all in the name of activism.

I’m Janet Bloomfield, and most of my activism takes place in 140 characters or less…

There’s two things you really want to accomplish in Twitter, if you’re going to be an activist. One thing is “reach,” and the other thing is “response.” When you’re talking about “reach” in Twitter, it doesn’t really matter how many followers you have; it matters how many followers your followers have. That’s a really important point. If you look on my Twitter feed, I have about a thousand followers; but, just this morning, with three re-tweets, I reached over three million people.

What I go after on Twitter is, I chase after voices that are slightly open. I go after a younger crowd that I think is open to what we are talking about. I tailor my messages to reach people, especially young people, who might be willing to stop for one nanosecond, which is about how long people will read a tweet for, and consider clicking on a point of view, watching a video. Tailoring the message is really important on Twitter; know who your audience is, and go after them. And you have 140 characters, so you can go on quite a bit and make your point, you know…

Here’s the big mistake people make: they only re-tweet stuff they agree with. No, no, no: re-tweet stuff you think is absolutely fucking horrible. That’s great—that gets people to respond. That’s the second part of what you want to do. Re-tweeting something doesn’t mean you endorse it; so when you find something absolutely appalling on Twitter, go ahead and repeat it…

But—things will stick, over and over again, if you keep sending the same information out and keep collecting followers; and re-tweet stuff that you don’t agree with, and try and get a response on Twitter. It’s an excellent form of activism, because it’s communication, activism as communication. And I think that’s really where we are. We still need to get the word out about what we do. We’re confronting a horrible set of stereotypes in the media. I mean—I made some comment on Twitter that “we were going to spend the money we collected on hookers and blow.” Under 24 hours, we got the Motor City Muckraker reporting that “A Voice for Men admits they will be spending the funds on prostitutes and illegal drugs.” But you know what? That brought us a lot of traffic. It got us a lot of attention. A lot of people looked at that headline and said, “What?!—Okay, I’m going.”

misseb – I’ve played neither, but I’m still psyched 😀

I’ve her the first two are more “on rails”. True?

I actually got it more for Father’s Day for my husband since he’s a big fan of open worlds.
Though I’ve opened it.
I mean, I’m going to push him to play…though he says that he doesn’t have enough time. I’m still trying to get him to play through DA: I on the side of the mages so I can watch the divergent storyline – AND DO HE CAN PLAY *ahem* – but it hasn’t happened yet.

I thought this game might help nudge him…

-_-

It’ll probably ever be played by me.

misseb47

gilshalos-My whole computer isn’t up to it. 🙁 I have an old handy-down lap top that is not up to anything at all! I had to write my thesis on the thing and it really sucked. It would over heat and crash, this was when there was nothing but Microsoft Word and a few Internet Explorer tabs open. It would crash like every 5 minutes! I was sitting there writing my thesis or gathering data and suddenly the screen would go black. O.O About 5 minutes later, the same thing. Drove me up the wall. If it wasn’t for Word’s automatic recovery, I would have been stuffed. Turns out that the fans were not activating early enough and my dad had to readjust them. Don’t ask me how. It doesn’t crash as often, but it runs terribly. It doesn’t stop me from playing games, but it does make it very difficult. I need a new computer. 🙁

misseb47

proxieme-At least you will enjoy it. Maybe he will see what he’s missing and decide to play it? XD

proxieme

[…]which is about how long people will read a tweet for, and consider clicking on a point of view, watching a video.

And then makes the world’s most boring videos.

At least the Skull Boys’ offerings can have a slightly surreal “is this really happening? will it continue?” quality about them, not to mention the challenge offered by trying to understand what they’re saying in spite of the audio.

I’ve heard*
And so*

Lots of others, I’m sure.

I’d go get my laptop rather than my phone, but I have a purring cat curled up on my lap and I’m pretty sure it’d be against the law to move her.

Also, any noise that I make may wake the children, and before 7am is Mommy’s “browse the net and drink coffee” sanity-saving time.

gilshalos

I’m trying not to be cautiously optimistic about Fallout 4, since I so far can’t find the specs. Someone said it wasn’t graphically much better than F3, which I can play.

Yes, I’ve played Witcher 1 and 2, and even own one of the books published in English!
(And somewhere I have a link to a fansite translating the ones not published in English)

Since November though, I’ve only played DA.
Mainly Inquisition, but I have replayed Origins, Awakening and Da2 as well.
Currently I’m trying a playthrough with DAKeep bg set up with Alistair staying in the Wardens, hence replacing Stroud in Inquisition. (My actual playthroughs, Alistair is always solo King)

proxieme

Ever only* be played by me.

You get the idea.

EJ (The Other One)

(My actual playthroughs, Alistair is always solo King)

The correct outcome.

proxieme

misseb – It’s worth a shot. He’s definitely gotten tired of playing Borderlands with me (I, on the other hand, will NEVER tire of ANY of Borderlands games).

gilshalos

@EJ(the other one) – I’m not looking forward to the choice in the Fade though. Kill Hawke or kill Alistair ? EEK!

rugbyyogi

Wow! I agree with JudgyBitch on something. RT stuff you don’t agree with as part of your strategy for engagement. I think she’s right.

Actually, part of me has a lot of grudging respect for Elam. He seems to do fuck all for anyone and has a big following and some (who knows how much) money flowing in for doing a few ranting videos. He’s also able to co-opt apparently reasonably talented, not-stupid women to his cause. Amazing.

(e.g. I think Dr. Tara P. used to have some really good points about dealing with seriously dysfunctional relationships if you strip out the increasingly anti-female rhetoric)

proxieme

re: Fall Out 4’s graphics: Everyone ses to be basingtheir estimates on a few screenshots + the preview.

I dunno – that seems pretty thin on the ground. I’d want to see more dynamic game play before making a call.

gilshalos