a voice for men antifeminism boner rage creepy disgusting women drama kings eek tattoos entitled babies kids today mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny MRA oppressed men reactionary bullshit

Young women with tattoos are “dickless Queequegs” abusing their freedom, possible threat to Men’s Rights

A tattoo of the NotoriousRBG will drive the misogynists away. Tattoo by Nikki Lugo of Tattoo Paradise. Click for her Instagram
A tattoo of the NotoriousRBG should work to drive the misogynists away. Tattoo by Nikki Lugo of Tattoo Paradise. Click for her Instagram

Are tattooed women a threat to Men’s Rights? Last week, the editors of A Voice for Men decided to promote “compassion for men and boys,” as the site’s old motto had it, by publishing a long and exceedingly creepy jeremiad against young women who taint their “radiant” young skin with icky tattoos, thereby ruining things for the men of the world.

In a post titled “Tattoos, good judgement and women,” Doug Mortimer, a self-described Man Going His Own Way of long standing, reminisces at length about the good old days, when the dancers at his favorite “topless bar” were as free of tattoos as they were of tops.

I used to occasionally pay a visit to one of the many local topless bars – pardon me, gentleman’s clubs – so I could wallow in a state of beer-buzzed, middle-aged, semi-arousal.

Sorry to put that image in your head so early in the day. (Or, whenever you happen to be reading this.)

By the late 1990s, tattoos were all the rage. It was almost impossible to see a dancer without a tramp stamp or some other symbol or picture, meaningful or meaningless (to me if not to her). I simply could not fathom why a young woman, with her skin at its peak of radiance and health, would do anything to detract from it.

Readers with sensitive stomachs may want to skip the next bit here.

Flat-chested or full figure; statuesque or petite; blond, brunette, or redhead, healthy skin tone is a key component of neoteny and nubility.

I’m not sure I really needed to hear a dude who was already middle-aged two decades ago wax poetic about the “neoteny and nubility” of women young enough to be his granddaughters.

In 1998, Mortimer tells us, he grew so frustrated by the tattoos adorning the “female flesh” he was paying to ogle that he quit going to “gentlemen’s clubs” altogether.

Despite Mortimer’s bold and principled stand, the young women of America continued to get tattoos. Today, Mortimer reports with horror, one survey found that “25% of all men under 25 have at least one tattoo; for women in that age group, the number is 47%.”

He warns young men to think twice about getting into relationships with these terrible tattooed women.

After all, you’re going to be looking at them every day, possibly till death do you part. Do you really want to cuddle up long-term with a dickless Queequeg?

Mortimer goes on to suggest that the popularity of tattoos amongst young women suggests that maybe they really don’t deserve freedom after all.

Ultimately, you have to seriously question the judgment of a young woman who would make a permanent commitment to something as trivial as body art. Of course, good judgment is only rarely associated with young women, which is why young women are kept on a short leash in traditional societies. When young women are given freedom, they often fuck it up.

Mortimer doesn’t address this directly, but presumably he believes that young men handle their freedom far more wisely, despite considerable video evidence to the contrary.

Mortimer is quick to assure his readers that he is well aware that young women without tattoos can also be terrible freedom-abusers who should probably be kept on a “short leash” as well.

That doesn’t mean a tattoo-free woman can’t be fucked up, but one who is tattooed…well, no matter what the design, it might as well be a big red warning flag.

Well, no. But, given the disgust that Mortimer and many other denizens of the manosphere feel towards tattooed women, tattoos could perhaps be better described as magical talismans offering protection from a certain kind of creepy woman-hating shitbag.

In any case, it’s pretty hard to imagine Mortimer’s post convincing any self-respecting woman, young or old, to cancel an appointment at the local tattoo parlor; I suspect that, if anything, it could have an opposite effect.

freemage

Dammit, I’d been doing so well placating the blockquote monster lately, too.

Sarah
Sarah

NicolaLuna
NicolaLuna

Ooh definitely compliment tattoos if you’re comfortable with it. As much as I get my tattoos just for me, it’s almost always nice when people appreciate them (the exception being when strangers compliment you on how sexy your tattoos are).

One of the people who just needed to tell me how awful tattoos are on women was actually a woman. I just looked at her blankly for a bit and said, “ummm, don’t get one then?”

I’ve got 12 tattoos, many of them big pieces. My legs are half covered, my back is totally covered. My hips and part of one butt cheek is covered. But it’s not until I started the sleeve that entitled people started losing their shit. I quite enjoy horrifying them by telling them I’m going to be working on my ribs and chest next year when the sleeve is finished. They hate it so much that their opinion has zero effect on your self worth.

BrunaNorth
BrunaNorth

Well Ishmael didn’t have any problem at all with cuddling up to Queequeg!

“How it is I know not; but there is no place like a bed for confidential disclosures between friends. Man and wife, they say, there open the very bottom of their souls to each other; and some old couples often lie and chat over old times till nearly morning. Thus, then, in our hearts’ honeymoon, lay I and Queequeg—a cosy, loving pair.”

Check out Rockwell Kent’s “The Counterpane” for an illustration.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Hugs and kisses for the people who had rude people go up to them and talk bad about their tattoos.

Brian
There’s nothing wrong about having preferences like for example I’m not attracted to hairy guys but that doesn’t mean I should trash talk them and want to take away their freedom that’s stupid.

Robert
Robert

Queequeg was a great character, and does not deserve to be referenced by the OP.

My dad came back from WWII with a tattoo. He and his best Army buddy got roaring drunk in Honolulu, and well, mistakes were made. It was a good tattoo, though. My husband has a great one on his left upper arm. I haven’t heard anyone dis tattoos in quite a while. Haven’t missed it.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Sarah
“Queequeg was also the name of Scully’s Pomeranian that she had in the 3rd season of the X-Files (who got eaten by a mysterious lake monster GOD DAMN IT X-FILES I HATE YOU I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU KILLED A HELPLESS LITTLE DOG uh, sorry, still a little emotional over that).”

OMGoddess that’s awful! Poor pooch.

alaisvex
alaisvex

@Brian

Nothing wrong with having preferences. Those only become problematic when you start expecting everyone to conform to them. I think that that’s what MRAs don’t get. They claim that we’re attacking men for having preferences when in reality, we’re pushing back against the idea that every woman everywhere has to work to fit your preferences.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Personally, I love tattoos. A well-done tattoo is one of the most attractive things a woman can have (apologies if that’s veering too close to ladyboner update territory, but since we’re on the subject). I don’t have any myself YET, but only because the only tattoo parlour in town is… Of iffy quality, to be nice about it. =P

For one, I’m planning on getting a full back piece of GLaDOS (the same picture as my avatar). It’s going to be awesome.

Paradoxical Intention

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this before, but here’s the two tattoos that I want:

The first one I designed for myself, the second is an anagram of every letter and number in the English language, which is just damn cool.

Other tattoo ideas:
The chain tattoo that the protag of Bioshock (I believe his name was Jack) has
The Outsider’s brand from Dishonored
Possibly something from Psychonauts
Something Pokemon related

I want lots of game related ones.

sparky
sparky

I am strangely fascinated by people who believe their personal preferences should dictate life for the rest of us. If that’s not pure egocentric solipsism, I don’t know what is.

epitome of incomprehensibility

This is so ridiculous. Plus, I’m sure when women are picky about appearance like this, MRAs see it as proof of women’s inherent shallowness.

Not only will be arm be an epic scene of the characters from “Adventure Time” battling The Powerpuff Girls…

NicolaLuna, that sounds really cool!

Falconer

@Paradoxical Intent:

Possibly something from Psychonauts

Fortunately, a tattoo of Raz would count as both Raz and Goggalor.

You see, tattoos wouldn’t match the more conservative dress code.

Falconer

@sparky:

Were you here for the filibuster in the Stumbling Block post? ‘Cause my eyes glazed over and I lost track of who was actually arguing against Mr. Smith, there.

Falconer

Who was that ninja? The only clue is this page from a documentary on Soviet combat pilots!

sparky
sparky

katz: That particular troll is exactly who I was thinking of.

sparky
sparky

Falconer: Yep. I was at work when the thread exploded, but yep.

I really have no good response to people like this, other than, “Seriously?”

potterchik
potterchik

Hmmm, never wanted a tattoo before, but I’m starting to see the appeal!

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Zen nurse
That was beautiful I cried until the comment section killed the mood.
“Behold, I am a man listen to me of what I think about this!” It’s even sad to see a woman joining in.

Good thing there are other commenters who stepped in and stood up against them.

@Paradoxical

Yeah, his name is Jack. That’s what it says on the present in the beginning.

There’s a certain protagonist’s tattoos I really, really like but the one I like the most is a little troubling because of the connotation. He’s also one of my favorite video game characters (or at least one I’ve really liked in a long time) and reminds me a bit about myself. The tattoo of his is highly visible and, well, people would probably misinterpretation all the things the tattoo means to me.

I also quite like some of the tattoos in GTA V. Trevor has some of the best, I’ve always liked and get him the blackjack cards on his left pec, the ace card on his left hip, the Fuck Cops across his stomach, and the lucky tattoo on the back on his right shoulder, the dagger and Muertos on his right arm, the dope skull on his left, and the freedom tat on his left leg.

I particular like the Fuck Cops and Blackjack ones. I like blackjack and until there’s a major overhaul of the system, fuck cops, man. I know they aren’t all bad but you know the ones I’m talking about. Fuck ’em.

And, you know what, there’s a lot of Rockstar themed tattoos I’d get, specially Red Dead Redemption and Bully ones (some of my favorite games there). Rockstar is just, like, the one game company that hasn’t disappointed me…as much as other game companies. Sure, their games aren’t 100% kosher and right, but fuck are they fun to play. And such details they put into them. S’awesome.

Oh, also, a Double Fine tattoo, or at least a Brutal Legends or Psychonaut tattoo. Ormagöden would be bitchin’…I can use bitchin’ if it’s positive, right?

Falconer

Is “won’t match the conservative dress code” the new DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH?

(Nothing will ever beat the horse of superior Aryan intellect!)

Shaenon

I got a tattoo to commemorate finishing my first comic strip. My husband likes to kiss it. I was 28 when I got it, though, which is probably disgustingly old and wrinkly by this guy’s standards.

Here I am driving off men with my tattooed neotenic skin and my hair in a misandering bun: http://www.narbonic.com/swanky_shaenon.jpg

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Paradoxical Intention – Also really cool! They remind me of the graphic on the cover of this book, which is formed from the shapes of the vowels: http://archives.chbooks.com/online_books/eunoia/text.html

Oh oh, speaking of this, it reminds me of when a student from tutoring said to me, “Why do you like poetry? Poetry is boring.”

He was about eleven, and the idea was “I don’t like this so I don’t understand why other people would,” not “I don’t think it’s pretty when other people read poetry books and everyone should conform to my whims.” (A step in maturity above Doug Mortimer, in other words.)

And now I’m wondering which books make women appear more sexually attractive and/or youthful? Mystery and romance paperbacks are usually small, so they’ll make women’s faces appear bigger while they’re reading them, and bigger is not “neotenous,” so that’s out. Poetry books, too, are usually too small. Cookbooks show the Evo-Psych crowd that a woman is a good provider, unless she’s just being an evil trickster trying to trap a man. Fantasy books are often heavy, and lifting heavy things is unfeminine; “literary” books can be metaphorically heavy, so that’s unfeminine too; and sci-fi is inherently unfeminine.

I guess the ideal is something light but with large pages, like a magazine or art catalogue. 🙂

Jenny!!!!
Jenny!!!!

Sorry (not sorry) that my art that means something personal to me is ruining your mental fapping session.

Shaenon

Also, Queequeg is awesome. I aspire to be a dickless Queequeg.

A.A. Wils

Oh man, this makes me so happy I already have tattoos, because if I didn’t, I’d be sorely tempted to spend a bit of my student loan reimbursement on some ink just so that I could repel creepers like Mortimer.

By the way, my awesome husband thinks my tattoos are sexy.

Orion

Epitome, large faces are absolutely “neotenous.” Babies have big heads.

Paradoxical Intention

Falconer | June 1, 2015 at 3:48 pm
@Paradoxical Intent:

Possibly something from Psychonauts

Fortunately, a tattoo of Raz would count as both Raz and Goggalor.

*GASP*

Do you know what would be perfect?

Raz in a Godzilla kirigumi.

Because that’s pretty much what I do when I play that level.

Ellesar
Ellesar

I just changed my facebook photo to a large tattoo as the photo I was using (google ‘not your bitch’ and it is the first result) was getting me attention from middle aged men who clearly expected me to be a boner pleaser!
I expect the tattoo to have the opposite effect – not the same tattoo as on this profile, but as big and as colourful.
If I still get friend requests from complete strangers I will have to put a picture of a puggle (echidna baby) there instead!

Binjabreel

The more I hear “dickless queequag” the more endearing it becomes, for some reason.

The best tattoo I ever saw was one this girl I knew had: it was the diagram for an analogue repeating timing circuit over her heart. Awesome.

Binjabreel

For me, the books that make a girl attractive are usually things like calculus textbooks, popular science, and radical communism.

CMH
CMH

I once had a lump who I stupidly had boring and clumsy sex with say to me, “I don’t really like your tattoos.” And he was trying to get me to sleep with him again! It didn’t happen. 5 years later he’s still bitter about it. I only have three little ones that are easily hidden under normal clothing, but I fantasize about more and bigger ones. When I have a better job to pay for the good ink, I guess.

Shaenon

Hey, Queequeg was no angel. He ate his previous owner.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Even better, this kind of Puggle:
comment image

(Obscure-as-all-fuck Australian plushie franchises from the ’80s, whoo!)

XD

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Ellsar and CMH
Eww sorry that happened to you guys.

Shannon
“Hey, Queequeg was no angel. He ate his previous owner.”

I take back of what I said then.

SFHC
Aww!

Ellesar
Ellesar

“Geoff Sanborn called Queequeg the ‘romantic lead’ in a book without women, and from the moment he is introduced, he is instantly the best-loved character of the story for most readers. Seeing such a complete and capable man through Ishmael’s open and metaphysical gaze early on in the book, one cannot help but fall in love with, immediately trust, and want to know more about this Queequeg from Kokovoko, in his beaver hat, shaving with the head of his harpoon, and happily sharing his tomahawk pipe.”

Sounds like a very likeable character – I have no problem being compared to him.

Spindrift
Spindrift

@SFHC

Those are so cute, how are those not a global thing?!

brooked
brooked

I’ve never been a huge fan of tattoos, I’ve seen a few cool ones but most leave me cold. Not a huge fan of piercing either. Lurking anti-tattoo Manospherians should prepare to gasp at this M Night Shyamalan-like twist: no one cares, including myself.

I don’t comment on tattoos unless I see a cool one to compliment, or I internally go “meh” and never think about it ever again. If Mortimer is really seething endlessly over women getting tattoos he doesn’t like then I’m guessing the list of things he’s seething over is pretty long and mostly related to women.

I know AVfM has a rather narrowcast readership, but do these guys ever tire of the “sexy young women have sex with the wrong people or do things I think make them less sexy, wah, argh, curse them and eliminate suffrage for women”? Is it the same guys reading this crap year after year, or is there a reasonable amount of turnover? There’s got to be a limit of how many useless whinefests like this even the biggest misogynist asshole can take.

alaisvex
alaisvex

Women: still offending these assholes by merely existing and living their lives as they please without doing anything malicious to anyone on the manospheres besides being too sexy or not sexy enough and not having sex with them

Paradoxical Intention

ALSO COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:

E.L. James is going to be further ripping off Twilight by re-writing her books from Christian Grey’s point of view.

I can only hope she goes all the way with it and cancels it due to some hissy fit over someone leaking the first few chapters.

alaisvex
alaisvex

(To clarify, I don’t think that those things are malicious. It’s the manosphere that thinks that women can do harm to men by looking a certain way and not having sex.)

Also, Paradoxical Intention, I have this futile hope that E.L. James will use the new series to reveal that she knows that Christian is an abusive rapist and probable murderer and that the first series was actually about a woman who was so manipulated by him that she was brainwashed into not recognizing his evil.

@Paradoxical

Omigod, yes.

ej
ej

I once met a woman with Photo 51 (Rosalind Franklin’s X-ray diffraction image of DNA) on the inside of her arm. That is the coolest tattoo I’ve ever seen, but that’s probably because I’m a biologist and Rosalind Franklin is seriously under appreciated.

Tessa

Well that’s all pretty horrible. It’s awesome he sees freedom as something men give women, and not something women deserve by virtue of being equal humans.

As for tattoos, if I could ever justify the cost (and all the pain), I’d looooove a half sleeve on my arm. Those just look so incredibly cool.

Kestrel
Kestrel

I don’t have any tattoos though I have thought about it.

These are my tattoo people I think.

GEEK PRIDE!

Scarlettathena

This is an excellent question. I know there are things about life I don’t like, like people who lie, hypocrites, passive-aggressive twits… I could go on, but I’ll spare you. My point is that there are things about life we can’t change. Whether those are things that don’t effect us (like how women dress, use their bodies, etc) or do (like a person misrepresenting something to me off of which I now base my decision), if they are not specifically illegal, sometimes there’s not a lot you can do, so you have to ask yourself, “how can I adjust to this?”

I admit, there are certain ways people dress that don’t appeal to me – like I think “how unflattering to that person!”. There are certain piercings I don’t like, and I’m not a fan of those ear gauges (I may be an old fogey!). These are personal preferences. I don’t go telling the person that they are “offending my sensibility”. Yes, I make a little judgmental snarky comment in my head (sometimes to my husband), but I don’t tell the person, and my comment is not “no one should do that ever ever every because me me me me!”

So, these guys that go around saying “women don’t do what I want!” really perplex me. My initial thought is “so what?” followed by “who are you to judge?” and “you can have whatever opinion you want but shut up already.” I just can’t imagine going around dictating other people’s preferences, and I think if I was bothered to that point where I’m pontificating on the interwebz, I might think of ways to make life feel better for myself.

(I’m not pontificating here! ;))