alpha males antifeminism davis aurini entitled babies evil SJWs ha ha I tricked you jordan owen kitties men who should not ever be with women ever sarkeesian!

The Sarkeesian Effect Trailer is out at last! Watch it here!

Cinema history is being made today! Just not here.
Cinema history is being made today! Just not here.

The wait is over! The Sarkeesian Effect Trailer is out at last! So, without further ado, here it is:

Sorry for any confusion. “The Sarkeesian Effect Trailer” is the name of my new 43 second long film, starring the top of my head, and a very special guest I was lucky to be able to have the opportunity to film: my cat Sweetie Pie Jonus. (My other cat, Pantz, was in the other room.)

I handled the audio and the cinematography. My cats helped with the set dressing.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Oh, and by the way, The Sarkeesian Effect: Official Trailer #1 is also out as well. You know, the one put together by those other guys. You’ll be pleased to see that The Empty Pizza Box made the final cut!

I have to say, those guys don’t really seem to know what they’re doing.

abelundercity
abelundercity

Knowledge is optional.

Grifting grudge-holding man-babies is mandatory.

venny
venny

“You’ll be pleased to see that The Empty Pizza Box made the final cut!”

where is the empty pizza box ?

anemonerosie

I like Elam saying “it’s all about ideology.” Look at yourselves!

vbillings

Jonus does look pretty intimidated in that shot.

PussyPowerTantrum, the Lousy Flouncer
PussyPowerTantrum, the Lousy Flouncer

Jack Thompson, “Ex-Attorney?” They actually put “ex-attorney” in his description–as in, ex-attorney because he was disbarred in Florida for false statements and harassing behavior? Very credible, dudes!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Both Paul Elam and Aaron Clarey.

I wonder what the stalkery douchesquid who’s been harassing David on Twitter because the media referred to Clarey as an MRA has to say about that. Probably “Please ban SFHC for noticing that.”

Policy of Madness

Your trailer needs more skulls, David.

What’s with the lady at 0:22 through 0:24 in the (hilariously real) trailer? “The games are fantasy, but the threat of violence …” BZZZT. Why didn’t they let her finish her sentence there? The threat of violence is real? That sounds like what she was going to say. Is that bad editing, or disingenuous editing?

I consulted google to find out if that had some kind of special meaning, and discovered a tweet by Alex Hinkley saying he’d been permabanned from Wikipedia. I reckon “ex-Wikipedia editor” didn’t have the same ring?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Also: Angry Birds merchandise (mug?). Isn’t Angry Birds one of #GamerGate’s favourite ways to handwave away female gamers?

porlob
porlob

I can’t believe they really for real put Paul Elam — PAUL ELAM — in the trailer saying “It’s always about money and ideology. Money first and ideology a close second.”

I mean, come on.

Are we sure this wasn’t a trailer made by someone who had access to all of their footage, but wanted to make them look bad?

davidgerard

>I loled when Alex Hinkley was billed as a “Wikipedia editor.” It’s like they felt obligated to have two bylines for him, so they pulled one of them out of their asses. I mean, hell, I’m a Wikipedia editor. Isn’t everyone?

But not him. Because he’s banned!

ethfiel

it was quite entertaining to watch the real trailer without sound. I had to laugh, when Elam was filmed.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

It’s about money first… ideology maybe a close second.

Paulie’s p-p-p-Projecting!

Also, can anyone get a legible screenshot of Owen’s notepad? I wonder what he’s got written on there?

Do microaggressions exist in Sub-Saharan Africa?

Whut? What has that got to do with anything?

MRAsshat: “Gotcha, Feminists!”
*crickets chirp*
Feminists: Yeeeaah, cool story, bro.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Paul Elam’s line was pretty special. The rest makes it look like the entire “documentary” is going to just consist of a bunch of talking heads they could find to bad-mouth Sarkeesian. It’s going to be the most spintastic movie since Expelled, except they won’t even have lines from the person they’re attacking.

Oh no, she tunrs off comment sections on her own channel! That makes her evil and impervius to criticism! *GASP*

By the by, I thought this “documentary” was supposed to be about a more general gestalt around SJWs and their tactics, and not just a hit-piece on Sarkeesian. And yet the trailer appears to be entirely focused on her. I mean, from the trailer it looks like the most substantive argument is going to be “Sarkeesian doesn’t listen to us when we call her wrong and we’re FURIOUS about it.”

Rick
Rick

Owen’s shoe and scrunched white sock at 1:07. Amazing. It needs a credit in the film.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@AltoFronto:

That bit about microagressions is a fallacy with a brand new name: the Dear Muslima argument. They’re trying to paint all of feminist concerns as First World Problems that are insignificant and not worth talking about as long as other people have it worse.

Johanna Roberts

I feel ripped off. Here it is all about the inside world of social justice warriors and not one mention of social justice mages like me! I CALL FOUL. Don’t make me call fowl! *hides from her own bad pun*

Wtfcakes
Wtfcakes

I’m a bit confused, why include Jack Thompson at all? He seems to have spent the better part of several decades witch hunting various media (video games, music etc.) on morality issues like violence and explicit content… and generally being a toad, but a toad none the less litigious towards vidya game violence.

Policy of Madness

I’ve actually forgotten what the “Sarkeesian effect” is supposed to be, and the trailer certainly didn’t jog my memory. It had something to do with her fundraising, didn’t it?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

“We’ve spent the last five months … interviewing both sides of the argument: Men’s Rights Activists and pick-up artists.”

tinyorc

Small nitpick in context, but why on earth is it so important to Aurini and Owen that they appear in every shot, awkwardly angled and looking across at their interviewee? (Hint: the answer is ego). But seriously, if you want the focus to be on what this person is saying, give us a talking head and GET OUT OF THE GODDAMN SHOT.

joeklemmer
joeklemmer

Dave, I didn’t realize you had such a nice head of hair.

Which is, of course, more significant than anything in seen in the twin idiots trailer.

Bazia
Bazia

G’day all, not to derail but I see AVFM is cancelling their conference. What a shame. So much potential great mockery, lost forever.

weirwoodtreehugger

What I’m getting is that a bunch of people sit around whining about Anita Sarkeesian wanting special treatment and advocating censorship without actually showing any clips from her videos, speeches, and interviews to back that claim up.

It’ll be a travesty if they don’t get the Oscar for best documentary s/

Brainmist
Brainmist

Pfft. SJ mages think they have it bad? Do you think there’s even such a thing as micro aggressions for social justice ranger/assassin/bards?

RC
RC

“It’s always about money, and then ideology.”

Really Paul Elam? You, of all people, are going to go and criticize someone about being overly focused on *money* and their *ideology*? Really? You may be a terrible human being, but I cannot criticize the giant, massive balls you must have to make a statement like that. I wonder how many takes it took, with both of them continually breaking out into snickers.

…What a bizarre and strange world we live in where people claiming to support gaming are reaching out to Jack Thompson for help. Were these two idiots around in the 90’s? Do they know what he tried to pull? At best, Thompson was on a crusade to censor huge swathes of gaming, at worst he wanted to make as much of it *illegal* as possible. And he was notorious for trying to use spurious litigation to lash out at his detractors. He’s everything they claim Anitia Sarkeesian is, except he actually did it and he actually posed a real, political threat to gaming in his time. It’s almost as if these two don’t really care much about gaming or its history and are just trying to latch onto events connected to it to further their own agenda.

Also, in general to the kind of people who support this video. You can totally criticize Anita Sarkeesian. It’s completely allowed. You can disagree with her and raise those issues, I know I don’t agree with 100% of what she says. But, and I can’t stress this enough, death threats, rape threats, calling her the worst possible names you can think of and making flash games about beating her to within an inch of her life, are not actually a form of criticism. The *only* reason she’s become as big a name as she has is because of the aforementioned people who threatened and harassed her. She is the monster you guys created. If no one would have freaked out and treated her like shit, she would have made her videos, had her say, and this would all be over and done with. It just seems kind of hypocritical to portray her as some sort of huge, monstrous entity on the gaming landscape, when these people and those like them, are literally the only reason she’s gained the prominence that she has. This whole thing with Anita Sarkeesian has just become one giant snake, constantly eating its own tail, and then getting offended that the tail is trying to choke it to death.

deseejay
deseejay

What was that music??? Lol

Harlan
Harlan

^What tinyorc said. If 80% of your interview footage is two-shots, you’re doing it wrong.

Not to mention that…well, there isn’t much point in addressing the content, is there?

Johanna Roberts

I had to watch this again and almost died laughing.

Andrew Johnston

Wow, that looks…remarkably boring. You know, a lot of social issues documentaries break down to “Let’s find a bunch of people who know about X and talk to them,” which is why it’s important to use tight editing and planning to create a sense of dynamism. The recent HBO hit Going Clear is a good example of how you do this. These guys…well, I suppose the end result could be better than the trailer, but if you can’t make a subject look interesting for three minutes, then ninety is going to be a challenge.

Actually, I was kind of wondering if these idiots actually watched any documentaries before putting this together, or if they figured that they could just wing it as so many people do. I’d bet that they screened This Film is Not Yet Rated, if only because they stole from it. That bit with Owen at the end going to see where Feminist Frequency is a less impressive and far creepier version of Kirby Dick hiring a PI to suss out the identities of the ratings board members. Sterling job, lads, I’m sure you’ll go far.

@tinyorc: Isn’t that awful? I’ve never seen a documentary where the producers were so eager to steal the spotlight from their own subjects, who are small and in some cases half out of frame. Except for Elam, did you notice that?

reverendtap1

The “trailer” is three minutes long, and feels like ten.

Clearly Oscar material, this.

Policy of Madness

I know that comparing this hack job with Jiro Dreams of Sushi is unfair, but they probably should have watched it and taken notes. Jiro Dreams of Sushi is not a series of people sitting in rooms with the interviewer right there on camera with them. Footage of someone sitting there talking on camera is an incredibly boring, uninteresting, and uncreative method of conveying information.

Binjabreel

Actually, that’s a good point:

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE SARKEESIAN EFFECT SUPPOSED TO BE?

Not the film, it’s pretty clear what that’s supposed to be.* I mean the actual effect. You’d think that would be front and center if they’re trying to make an argument.

*that is, a massive ego-stroking masturbatory propaganda piece meant to bilk rubes out of their money.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

They’re really shooting themselves in the foot if they want to bring up troubles in Africa to dismiss feminist issues. Because seriously; Anita is one person. ONE PERSON. Out of 300 million in the US. One person who closes the comments on her youtube videos while criticizing games in a way they don’t like. Do they really think micro-agressions are laughable, but think that not being allowed to inhabit one single comment section on youtube is serious business?

If they forgot to make the documentary about more than Anita, or if the non-Anita stuff is just a side-discussion, then their entire body of criticism, no matter how legitimate, can be dismissed with one sentence. “Just ignore her, guys.”

Binjabreel

Of course they didn’t do real research on other successful documentaries: that would be admitting that learning things like “art” is a legitimate subject to study, and not a fluffy thing that feminists have foisted onto academia.

Their whole worldview requires them to be able to logic their way through things like “graphic design” or “visual theory”, and the cognitive dissonance there is why they can’t admit that their memes are incomprehensible.

weirwoodtreehugger

I wish he had been half out of frame too. He just gives off such an air of creepiness. I actually cringed when he came on screen. I think I’d even rather see Jordan Owen in the bathtub again than see Elam in full frame.

ej
ej

I was really struck by the number of people in that trailer who said, “I think [statement about Anita Sarkeesian and/or feminists].”

Just because you think that, doesn’t make it true. If you can’t back it up with facts, all you are giving me is an opinion. A documentary is based on facts, not opinions.

Myriad
Myriad

So they just interviewed people who have been bitching about this on line. Boy, that’s going to be boring.

I’m definitely not an expert on documentary film making, but don’t the filmakers really need to talk to people directly involved in said topic as to gain insights of said topic?

All I saw in the trailer was an opinion piece on why they don’t like Anita Sakeesian.

Andrew Johnston

@RC:

I put the video at the highest resolution, capped and rotated, and it’s barely readable. The only thing you can clearly see is “Alex Hinkley” and a bunch of bullet points (eight or ten, I’d say), so it’s probably his interview questions. Another good reason not to put yourself in frame – the audience never sees you taking notes.

(Eight or ten questions with, what, ten subjects…how much footage did these goobers even shoot? You know, real documentarians shoot dozens, in some cases hundreds of hours of video. They keep detailed log sheets with time codes so that they can find the most significant bits. Why do I suspect that Owen and Aurini put every single thing they shot into this thing?)

Luzbelitx

@Binjabreel

I think the opening of the trailer was supposed to show it: media talking about violence against women in video games *gasp*

I too noticed they failed to explain what is the effect.

I think it’s such an ego-stroking masturbatory propaganda that they don’t even think they need to explain.

Binjabreel

Actually watching the trailer, it’s more clear than ever that these morons have given up and are just preaching to the choir.

Also, holy shit where did all the money go?! This looks as professional as our goddamned school video projects. Though to be fair, we usually had at least one person who knew what they were doing in our group.

Lea
Lea

So much potential great mockery, lost forever.

Like tears in the rain.

Policy of Madness

If the “Sarkeesian effect” is a real effect then according to what they’ve said up to now, and according to the title of the film, it ought to be about that (whatever it is – I’m still drawing a blank). Sarkeesian herself ought to be essentially background: this is who she is, this is what she has done/is doing, and this is how she brought to the forefront the effect we’ve named after her. The vast majority of the film ought to be about the effect itself.

Instead, the only thing I get from the trailer is that they don’t like Anita Sarkeesian. The first 50 seconds are mainly about the stuff she talks about in her videos with a little bit about Sarkeesian herself. The first words on screen – “A Critic Who Cannot Be Criticized” – are about Sarkeesian, not the “effect.”

The next 30~ seconds, up until Paul Elam, is just people talking about Sarkeesian or what they imagine she has to say. Paul Elam … we know what he said. 😀 He mentions money, though, and my vague idea about what the “effect” is supposed to be is that it relates to Sarkeesian’s fundraising? Maybe Elam discusses the “effect” somehow? It’s unclear, and if I didn’t already have this impression that “effect” relates to money, I would have no idea that there is any connection.

The next 20 second are unexplained non-sequiturs. Then we get back into talking about Sarkeesian herself, and how unfaaaaaaaaaair it is that we don’t get to write out explicit rape fantasies about her on her own youtube comment board. About 40 seconds later, we finally get to see someone doing something other than sitting on their butt in a room, and unfortunately it’s Owen with his shirt unbuttoned. His chest hair does not tell me anything about what the “Sarkeesian effect” is supposed to be, and it’s unclear what going to find out what Feminist Frequency’s tax address is like has to do with it, either.

So, now that I’ve given this trailer a close examination, I’m no closer to knowing what the “Sarkeesian effect” is supposed to be. The bulk of it seems to be “we don’t like Anita Sarkeesian.” If that’s the film they wanted to make, they should have called it that.

weirwoodtreehugger

Aww. That gif was supposed to directly follow Lea’s post.

Thanks, Obama!

Policy of Madness

I find myself wondering if they got permission from NBC et. al. to use their footage. They are walking the fine edge of “fair use” there, and NBC/Comcast has a bigger lawyer brigade than Tub Boy and Professor Skull.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Owen’s unbuttoned shirt would have been a good counterpoint against Mark the Moron yesterday.

Binjabreel

Re:luzbetix

So the sarkeesian effect is… Uh… People in the news talk about… Stuff?

I mean, I remember the moral panic over the Deathrace 2000 game. That was properly ludicrous; exactly the kind of thing that GamerGate got all hepped up about. Yet here they are, happily embracing the poster boy for ludicrous moral panic.

Policy of Madness

If they found anything at the address other than a mail box, I will be shocked. Feminist Frequency is not a person, and they shouldn’t expect that to be someone’s address, but I bet they did.

Ainsley Lowbeer (@AinsleyLowbeer)

Of COURSE Jim Goad is in this. If you want to find yourself deep in the rabbit hole of shittiness, follow that man. That dude spent years in jail for domestic assault (but maintains it was the bitch’s fault, so), and has a long track record of racism, sexism, and violence.

Andrew Johnston

@Policy of Madness:

Oh, there’s no way. Guys like this get so used to stealing that they don’t even think about it. That being said, I doubt they get any legal threats unless their low-rent documentary about a controversy most people have already forgotten ends up being a huge hit somehow.

1 2 3 6