a voice for men antifeminism grandiosity gross incompetence gullibility irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA paul elam rationalization hamster schadenfreude yeah that's the ticket

A Voice for Men triumphantly cancels its conference; supporters declare victory

Say it ain’t so, Paul! A Voice for Men’s second “International Conference on Men’s Issues” has been … cancelled!

No one could have seen that coming, huh?

Anyway, in a “Bulletin” on AVFM yesterday, AVFM “CEO” Paul Elam tried his best to explain away this little embarrassment:

At the outset it would appear that this is a piece of bad news, and of course it is, but it is news that we are taking in context here at AVFM.

The “context?” The conference was a failure waiting to happen from the moment it was first announced. And not because of opposition from the international feminist conspiracy. Nope. Even Men’s Rights Activists, normally a fairly gullible group, were underwhelmed by the conference lineup (consisting mostly of completely undistinguished AVFMers) and a bit stunned by the high ticket price.

Elam will now be issuing refunds to anyone silly enough to have actually bought a ticket. Which shouldn’t take long. I can’t imagine there were more than three of them.

His explanation for this bit of bad news that isn’t really bad news, if you think about it: Apparently, organizing a conference is really hard — especially, I assume, when apparently no one wants to go to it and you’re left struggling to explain to your supporters why it’s not a total ripoff, honest!

Since last June we have been consumed with planning the [the now-cancelled conference]. We have the resources to do it well enough. However, we had to pull resources that we would normally use to take on direct activism, such as cases like Vladek Filler, and run the most prominent publication on men’s issues available.

So the conference was getting in the way of your ability to harass women on the internet do important “direct activism?”

We simply have not grown to the point to do everything simultaneously. … We found out by nearly burning out every member of our staff.

Poor babies. Announcing things is easy. Doing them is hard. Which is perhaps why AVFM is so much better at announcing than doing. Remember AVFM’s March on Washington to “Sink Misandry” by protesting the evacuation protocols of The Titanic? Oh, probably not; like a lot of things announced on AVFM, it never happened.

It was clear that the most reasonable one was to forego conferencing plans and return to what we do best until such a time that we have the ability to do more. We need some rest followed by a return to our roots which is precisely what we are going to do.

Rest as long as you have to, Paul. And then rest some more.

I realize fully that some of our opponents will view this as some sort of defeat for us or victory for them.

Huh. Why would anyone see this giant defeat for AVFM as a defeat for AVFM? It’s baffling!

Whatevs. We never let them define us to begin with.

Well, that’s certainly true, if by “them” you mean “people still connected to reality.” In the comments to Elam’s “bulletin,” the site’s supporters are … declaring victory. No, really.

To “Pinetree,” the cancellation is evidence of AVFM’s “huge growth” in its non-conference-canceling activities.

pinetree • 12 hours ago Good decision! The huge growth since the last conference has overwhelmed and even burned out some. Too many other things happening right now. Next year will be a lot more appropriate.

Partridge was if anything even more excited by this massive failure great victory.

Partridge • 19 hours ago In no way is this a defeat for AVfM or the MHRM. If anything it is a sign of our impressive success in recent years and, rightly and wisely, you have decided not to allow this success to put AVfM in jeopardy by growing too big too quickly, thereby overstretching the organisation's human and financial resources.  Far from being a setback, this decision will allow AVfM and the MHRM to grow and develop at their own natural pace and avoid the fate of many organisations and movements whose fires burn too brightly before burning themselves out.  Our struggle was always going to be a long one, but whatever our opponents may say or do in response, we're not going away, and our ultimate success and victory over ideological feminism is assured, as feminism's evils become more and more self-evident to humanity, both men and women.

To the strange and excitable fellow who calls himself Isaac T. Quill, the true extent of AVFM’s glorious victory could be seen in the fact that

after 15+ hours even Mr Desperate for Click Bait Futrelopath has not managed to rush anything into print! He’s still fixated on the launch of a trailer for “The Sarkesian Effect” …

It seems the poor lambs are all nonplussed and are unable to cope! So that’s FTSU++++ RESULT!

Huh. I will admit that I didn’t spend my Saturday night obsessively refreshing AVFM for updates. And that after making the little video masterpiece in my last post I kind of slept late today. So I only recently heard about your little bit of misfortune.

Sorry, your HUMONGOUS VICTORY. RESULT!!1!

sevenofmine

@ ej:

Dear gawd that image is hilarious in a “LET ME SHOW YOU HOW NOT SEXIST I AM BY DOING SOMETHING OVERTLY SEXIST” kind of way.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@ej (the original one):
Isaac sounds so lonely. The fact that his idea of a great step up in the world is “meet up with some guys and have some beers and some laughs around a fire” is really quite heartbreaking. Then he, you know, goes and ruins all the sympathy I have for him by being homophobic.

Protip: if spending some time with some friends sounds like a gay sex act to you, then you have bigger issues than the Men’s Rights Movement.

And the image he chooses to illustrate a nice camping trip is…a screaming woman from a horror film. He literally can’t imagine any activity not revolving around tormenting women.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@katz:
Yes. Ugh.

Hmmm. Wait a second. That scream picture is from Hitchcock’s classic Psycho, which takes place in a hotel. Hotels are not campgrounds. In fact, they are almost the antithesis of campgrounds. However there is an equally famous slasher film, Friday the 13th, which takes place at a campsite.

Did Isaac intend to use an image from Friday the 13th and just confuse which film was which in his head? Wow.

sn0rkmaiden

Well, I overslept this morning and was late dropping my kid off at school.

VICTORY!!!

Because I showed that punctuality is not the boss of me!

And then I got home and found I’d left my door keys in my other jacket and had to wake my non partner up to let me in.

VICTORY!!!

Because I showed, um,……..give me a minute and I’ll think of something…

I too was confused by the use of the shower scene in Psycho to illustrate not having issues with women.

sevenofmine

Pretty sure the idea behind the image is that the girls are all screaming hysterically like the woman in the picture because they think they’re not allowed to attend the VERY MANLY BUT TOTALLY NOT GAY camping trip. To which he responds with reassurance that they can stop being hysterical feeeeeemales because the VERY MANLY BUT TOTALLY NOT GAY men will take down the “no girls allowed” sign just this once. The movie and the setting thereof isn’t relevant.

Also, I think I may have just understood an MRA meme. Pls send halp.

marinerachel
marinerachel

The March on Washington was the one Dean wore his magical pants to, right?

Sarity
Sarity

What an original strategy! Show those feminists who’s in charge! I can hear them crying for mercy at the news now. Keep it up, guys!

(Come on David, let them believe this is victory? I can only see good from them staying encouraged on this track)

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Pfft like any self respecting woman would want to come to a SUPER ALPACA (alpha) MANLY CAMPING TRIP with mras.

Any sad, angry or screaming woman but no they had to pick a scene with a woman being murdered from the movie Pyscho. Along with a dash of transphobia it seems.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@sevenofmine:
Have some helping ANZAC biscuits. They’re delicious and their honey content is high enough to make all memes everywhere incomprehensible.

@marinerachel:
wut. Do please tell or link to the story, because all that I can manage otherwise is a flat ‘wut’.

Vicky F
Vicky F

I would say that they were trying to save face by closing down the conference due to the obvious lack of ticket sales. However lets face it; if they wanted to save face, they would just shut down the website.

ej
ej

Also, I think I may have just understood an MRA meme. Pls send halp.

I got that impression too. They were trying to portray women as hysterical about being excluded, but nothing says “Come camping in the woods with me” like a murder scene from a horror movie.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Did somebody say ANZAC bikkies?

I’m always surprised by the number of Aussies here. Usually I’m the only one. =P

proxieme
proxieme

We should buy that poor British woman-conference manager her first plane ticket so that she can finally fly somewhere, anywhere.

Aunt Edna,
Bad Ideas Haver.

We could fly her to central Florida.
In the summer, it already seems to be a magnet for British people who don’t seem to realize just how hot and humid it can get and heatstroke-out in Universal…or right off of Disney property.

proxieme
proxieme

I’ll be honest, I would have a bit more respect for these people if they weren’t actually just a bunch of spineless cowards lurking behind computer screens.

Srsly.

This goes back to my stance towards MGTOWs: I’d have legitimate respect for them if they actually went the f●ck their own way.
Buy largish houses in inexpensive areas and live in dorm-like settings (guys get their own rooms + shared space). This would allow for very low incomes and scads of free time – you could spend it all on self improvement and edification.
Or, hell, playing video games.
It could work, MGTOWs, if you pulled yourselves away from hating women long enough to actually practice what you preach.

k_machine
k_machine

So this is a case of “the enemy continuing its cowardly advance”?

davidknewton
davidknewton

Perhaps they could improve their small victory of no longer having a conference into a decisive historical one by closing the site and never saying anything ever again.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

but it is news that we are taking in context here at AVFM.

Oh, now I see. It’s SATIRE.

Also, “Futrelopath” (way to not be able to spell, there) sounds like some sort of alternative-medicine practitioner. Which is fitting, considering this blog does a lot to neutralize and detox the idiocy coming out of their movement.

On top of that, I keep anagrammatically misreading “FTSU” as “STFU”. They certainly are adept at fucking their own shit up.

mildlymagnificent

Hah! Not only am I an Aussie, one of my daughters is on the committee of her CWA branch. And no, she’s not in the country, it’s a city branch. I’ll admit that they’re nearly all 30+ women like her, not at all the perms and blue rinses of the stereotyped CWA member.

(Unsurprisingly, she cooks up a mean batch of several dozen scones when needed, along with ANZAC biscuits by the trayload.)

sunnysombrera

“Greetings females! You may have heard that us MRAs are “misogynists”. Rest assured that isn’t true – we don’t actually HATE women, we just think that they’re dumb emotional bitches who manipulate men at any chance they get. Anyway, we’re having a lads’ camping trip in a forest and to try and prove we’re not misogynist we’re inviting women!* It’ll be super manly (in our definition of the word), we’ll be pissing against trees and making rape jokes and possibly showing off a bunch of shotguns but women**
are totes welcome! Want to join us?”

*only women who agree that other women are awful.
**seriously, we only want women there to give us a better public image and to stroke our egos. If you step out of line at any point, well…

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@M:
Not an Aussie, a Sith Efrican, but I’ve hung around Kiwis long enough to get a taste for those biscuits. They’re delicious.

Hypatia
Hypatia

Hahahahaha sweet Jesus, the comments below the article on AVfM are full of endorsement and approval. I am not surprised though, anything that The Supreme Spiritual Leader of MRA Paul Elam says must not be criticized or questioned. I am now interested to see if people will actually get their money back.

Also, about the conference, how exactly are they helping men with putting ticket prices at 400$? Like, didn’t it occur to them that a father struggling with child support or a man working a dangerous, not so well paid physical job wouldn’t be able to afford the ticket to an event that’s supposed to deal with their issues?

Tina S
Tina S

Wow. They think rhis is a victory. How many excuses will the followers give them before the followers realize they are being duped.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Unlike Dean’s tearaways, under which he’s simply wearing shorts, when the attendees took their tearaways off they became COMPLETELY INVISIBLE.

EJ (The Other One) – it’s not as exciting as it sounds.Basically, Dean always wears short pants like Bobby Hill from King of the Hill. He was seen, though, in Toronto in LONG PANTS! Our minds were BLOWN! Strangely, later in the day at the same event, Deano was seen in short pants. What? Were the long pants tearaways? Or convertible pants with unzippable legs? Or maybe he changed? Except there were no washrooms at the event. Did he use a phone booth? All these possibilities are hilarious.

I offered to buy Dean a pair of long pants. He didn’t take me up on the offer. I think he was worried me buying him a pair of trousers would demonstrate to the world, in one fell swoop, a feminist doing more good for men than MRAs ever have.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Thanks rachel.

Dean Esmay is so touchy. Complete strangers from the internet offering to buy him pants and he turns it down? Sheesh. It must be his male hormones.

Kootiepatra

Color me surprised that the secret SJW cabal isn’t being blamed for the cancellation.

sn0rkmaiden

Aha, I found the song that best sums up this recent debarcle:

opium4themasses

This is good news for John McCain.

So, isn’t here another site stealing the MRA mojo? Is there going to be a RoKonference? Maybe to prove the massive differences between MRAs and PUAs, AVfM and RoK can co-operate to make a conference happen.

Heh. As if.

zennurse

The Roosh world tour starting in Berlin later this month concerns me. Not a conference as much as a showboat action but maybe more dangerous from a PUA vs MRA perspective. I would love to know how his sign ups are going. Its a lot cheaper. And you can get a selfie with the star of the show!

Yuck.

Hypatia
Hypatia

@zennurse

What the fuck is that tour going to be about? Lessons on how to dehumanize and hate women?

spacelawn

@Hypatia

That and some good ol’ racism and anti-semetism.

sunnysombrera

What’s the name of that PUA who had a thing for shoving random women’s heads in his crotch and then got called out and banned from like five different countries?

I reckon the feminist network should do a rally around warning people of Roosh too. BUT Roosh isn’t as overtly sexual harassment-ey as the other guy AND he has officially turned into the Creepy Old Guy that will probably never win over any target ever. I’m not sure if he is so much of a threat…even though he is a confessed rapist.

zennurse

Hypatia

The video is priceless, I’m not clever with my tablet but its on Roosh World Tour dot com. He wants to share his extremely luxurious lifestyle (really! He said it), tips on how to meet women and experience intimacy, how to live in a “degenerate” world, etc, blah blah. You really have to see it.

I get such a bad feeling from him, more so than Elam or that bunch, I think because he’s got the Julien Blanc vibe, kind of I’m the King of the Assholes and I dare women to try me. I can’t imagine what his concept of intimacy could possibly be.

kellyrtillson

MEATSPACE

I am never going to call it “real life” again.

zennurse

The crotch slammer is Julien Blanc of RSD, still around.

Oh FFS, how is this happening? I thought he was under a rock somewhere.

shoofle

This is GREAT news for bitcoin.

Catalpa
Catalpa

He wants to share his extremely luxurious lifestyle (really! He said it)

Huh, I was unaware there was any lifestyle that could be described as ”luxurious’ wherein you don’t wipe your ass. Unless you hire someone else to do that for you, possibly. Otherwise, campers crack isn’t exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think of ‘ luxury’.

No, I’m never going to get tired of mocking roosh for whining about the terrible imposition that basic personal hygiene is.

Shalimar
Shalimar

I’m,wondering how many of the delusional crowd talking about this as a great victory are really just covering up their personal relief that they no longer feel social pressure to either buy tickets they can’t afford or make up an excuse to a community that matters to them for why they aren’t able to attend. A lot of people don’t like talking about their financial situation, and that would have been a lot of money to spend on a weekend for most of us.

Hypatia
Hypatia

@zennurse

I couldn’t bother watching the whole video lol. I guess that in Roosh’s glossary, “degenerate world” means “women have rights and freedoms and they use them to do all kinds of shit that displeases my precious boner such as getting tattoos and piercings, cutting their hair and having sex with more than one man throughout lifetime.” I think that throughout history, there were always people who didn’t like changes, who wanted to maintain the status quo and who thought the civilization is going to collapse because people were acting in a way that displeased them.

As for the tour, I hardly believe anyone apart from his worshipers are going to be interested. If we tried to warn people about Roosh, he and his followers would see that as an attempt to censor them, shut down free speech and disable people from hearing The Holy Truth about Western world, when in fact, the primary motive for warning people about him is that I wouldn’t want anyone to be exposed to that vitriolic hatred and toxic views on women.

Btw he looks really old. I suppose he had his time on vagina carousel and hit the wall now. Lol.

weirwoodtreehugger

Hmm. There’s a joke involving Sleepaway Camp and the MRA’s transphobia here. But I’m too uncoffeed to think of one right now.

Bina
Bina

With poor hygiene! And lots of extra whining about how all those horrible, short-haired, independent feeeeemales are too busy banging nice Danish guys to bother with him, him, HIM!

Jarred H

by growing too big too quickly, thereby overstretching the organization’s human and financial resources.

Um, doesn’t growth normally imply an increase in both human and financial resources? In fact, I’m pretty sure that’s how we measure growth where I work…

Lea
Lea

Wait…WUT? It sounds homoerotic to go hang out with other dudes? Lulz! We should get them all T-shirts for when they hang out that read:
“Haters hate but they don’t fellate.”

These guys don’t normally hang out with other guys? They sure aren’t hitting the town with women. So, who are their friends?
Oh. right.

Cataliyah
Cataliyah

I’m deeply relieved this Convention of Assholes has been cancelled. It gives me hope for our planet. Are they going to refund all the turds foaming at the mouth to get together and hate women, or are they going to say thanks guys, your furthered AVFM and the MRA Movement? Thanks for your donations, donate more next time?

Steve Green

No UK appearances for Blanc, I’m pleased to say.

bekabot

What they oughta do is take this theory to its logical conclusion — disband and declare themselves Gods. (I know that’s never going to happen, but still, a person can dream.)

Jarred H

Bekabot: I often get the impression they’ve already done the “declare themselves gods” part.

weirwoodtreehugger

Shaenon

Honestly, local meetups would be a good idea for AVfM. It’d give the members a chance to connect in person and maybe even come up with activities to promote their goals. Lots of smaller blogs with no financial resources do this; you just have to post an announcement and hope people show up. That the folks on AVfM consider it a huge, possibly impossible project that would require the full concentration of all their resources is… okay, not really surprising.