alpha males antifeminism do you even lift entitled babies gender policing red pill

“I wonder if there’s a single person writing on ‘toxic masculinity’ who could out deadlift a certified alpha,” Red Piller wonders

Do you even lift, baby?
Do you even lift, baby?

Here’s what is unquestionably the Red Pill Quote of the Day. Well, to be perfectly honest, of two days ago, but I only saw it just now. It comes courtesy of the FeMRADebates subreddit

toxic

H/T — TheBluePill

@GiJoel

You should learn blockquotes

(remove the the asterisks) or at least use quotation marks. People may read your post and thinks you’re a MRA jackass,rather than quoting MRA jackasses.

I’d like to see this knuckleheads for once consider the socioeconomic factors that have lead the dire straits both young men and women face in a today’s job market, and how both college graduates, saddled with crippling debt, and young non-college grads struggle with high unemployment and a lack of non-minimum wage jobs.

Hey fellows, feel free to bring up economic inequality, the current financial industry that feeds it and the complacent politicians who do nothing to improve things for the vast majority of people.

We are befuddled by young men’s rejection of the traditional male road to adulthood, even in this misandric climate we live in, so we must, of course, blame…the young men themselves. After all, they are not young women. Were they young women, we’d see taxpayer-funded task forces and programs ready to solve this key social problem, funded with our taxpayer dollars, of course.

Or not.

brooked

I’ve seen other people successfully show how blockquotes work but it’s apparently harder than it looks, at least for me.

quotes n’ stuff Remove the Xs.

LBT
LBT

RE: Lea

For years I thought those people were put in prison for nothing. GAH! It is scary that people could get something so wrong.

Like, it’s complicated. Some people WERE wrongly imprisoned… but then you have people who had a lot of evidence they DID assault children, who were then let go because of fucked-uppery going on in the cases, or children being later claimed overly suggestible. It kind of became a Catch-22 where if a child disclosed before becoming an adult, they were blasted for being suggestible, and if they waited to be an adult before disclosing, they were blasted for waiting so long, or jumping on the victim bandwagon.

brooked

JFC. Someone smarter than me will have to show how blockquotes work because I can’t. I have no idea what happened in my last post, that’s the last time I pretend to have rudimentary computer skills.

See you guys later, I’m going to get kids off my lawn by yelling and waving my cane.

Flying Mouse

All right, I’m gonna try to do the demonstration blockquotes. Everyone cross your fingers.

< blockquote > some silly thing an MRA says < /blockquote >

If this fails, the next recourse is to go over the Welcome Packet candle and click. Scroll down to the comments and look for Argenti’s post, where (bless zir) zie wrote out an html cheatsheet. It has how to do embedded links, bolded text, italics, blockquotes – the works.

Flying Mouse

It worked! Just get rid of the space that appeared between the brackets and the “blockquote” or “/blockquote” and you should be good to go.

Flying Mouse

@brooked – if you want to type just brackets, do

& l t ; for < and/or
& g t ; for >

only remove the spaces between characters.

I’ve been messing around with WordPress for about two years now, and I just learned that ten minutes ago. It’s only 3:26 EST, but I declare today a success.

@LBT

I think people are so horrified by child sex abuse that we would like to believe that successfully prosecuting pedophile predators is a priority for law enforcement and we aren’t failing to protect children. Unfortunately, that’s often not true.

(@Lea I’m speaking of society in general and in no way addressing you in particular.)

Considering how adult victims of rape aren’t believed by authorities because of “inconsistencies” in their stories or because they waited before reporting the crime, it’s not surprising that many child victims aren’t believed either. For a victim it’s often comes down to the luck of the draw, because if they turn to incompetent, wrongheaded or untrained LEO, therapists or social workers it can be a nightmare.

There’s a reason it’s called child sexual abuse and not rape. It makes us feel better.

Personal Disclosure: I’m not a survivor of childhood sexual abuse or rape and LBT is, so I’m not speaking from experience. LBT is clearly very well read on the subject in a way I’m not, I’m just seconding what they are saying.

I became a gung ho Loftus fan decades ago because I’m a long time reader of Skeptical Inquirer. It wasn’t until a few years ago I’ve read critiques of overreaching False Memory theories and how “flawed” memories of actual abuse get dismissed as fabricated false memories.

brooked

Thanks Flying Mouse. That was impressive, so much so you may have upped your SMV. I can’t be sure about that because I’m a female.

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

Alright, Flying Mouse, I’ll try that frightening blockquote maneuver:

gods help me

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

It worked! I feel so… victorious, lol.

Thanks, Flying Mouse, for making sense of the beast!

LBT
LBT

RE: brooked

Yeah, I read one of Loftus’s books during the Raping Year; it used to be part of the For More Info section of old editions of MPD For You And Me. I was NOT thrilled to find out that there was actually a complaint about her methods that she avoided by leaving the APA before it could be investigated… and the APA warned her beforehand.

Reading all this shit has not only been disenchanting… it’s made me feel a little betrayed, honestly. The power of scientists is that we trust them to report the facts accurately. When they start distorting or outright fabricating their data, it is SO HARD to undo the damage, especially if their ideas gain a lot of pop cultural traction. We’ve kept obsessive records for about fifteen years, all because we didn’t trust our memory, which so far has proved pretty accurate. All because of books and data that turned out to be bogus. It’s so frustrating.

NonServiam

The thing is, in my own life I know a fair few guys who lift weights and are really strong and athletic, and they’re really uncomfortable with toxic masculinity. Also, hasn’t Terry Crews said a lot on the problems it causes? I’m pretty sure Terry Crews can out-lift a lot of people, and more importantly I’m pretty sure he knows better than to use being able to lift as a way to dismiss other people!

Flying Mouse

@brooked – I too am a wretched feeemale, and I am ancient crone of 35. I don’t think there are enough SMV points in the world to bring me up to par.

Besides, everybody knows that girls can’t computer.

Mewens
Mewens

LBT, thanks for posting those links. (I was looking around for info on “The Witch-Hunt Narrative” after your first post because the McMartin case is kind of a personal fascination for me – the Satanic cult panic was a big part of my youth.)

The nuance in that article helped me understand what you’re saying, and I don’t think I can overstate the importance of the lesson for the rest of us: The world isn’t binary. If one story isn’t completely right, that doesn’t mean the oppositional story is completely right, either.

LBT
LBT

RE: Mewens

Yeah, it’s a complicated thing, and really fucking hard to put into words. And I’m kinda frothy and incoherent because this book, even though it wasn’t ABOUT multi, gave a lot of historical context for the controversy and backlash about DID that goes on even now. (And I have a personal stake in it because it’s allowing me to predict and more adequately respond to the backlash in MY family right now due to me going public about the incest. They’re being… pretty textbook, sadly.)

Pavlov's House

Forgive Pavlov’s House for commenting late but this post appeared over the weekend and I was out training with my Army Reserve unit (being, you know, a soldier in real life unlike certain PUA’s who talk about what kind of soldier they “would have been”.) The whole thing about nobody writing about toxic masculinity could deadlift more than some guy is irritating. I tried to figure out who the guy was but didn’t care to look that hard. Besides, it was not clear whether it was a 1-rep max deadlift. And further, we would have to see this person’s form really to judge. *Ironically*, at the Crossfit gym that Pavlov’s House attends *this very morning*, what-do-you-know, the WOD (workout-of-the-day) included a 3-rep max deadlift. I had half a mind to have someone video me while I mentioned a few things about toxic masculinity while working up to my 3-rep-max. Granted, my 3-rep-max was only 265 today but, alas, I am still working on keeping that neutral spine and not rounding on the way up. By the way, the coach is a girl. Wait, am I a weak immasculine beta male after all?!?! Only 265?! Coached by a girl?! Oh no. What will I do now…..

We also had a 3-rep max shoulder press (strict press). Got up to 105.

I always feel that in my core as much as in the shoulders, because you have to keep that core engaged in order to keep stabilized and not round your back when you lift really heavy on an overhead press.

None of those big-mouths on reddit yapping about lifting ever talk about core strength.

What does that say?

Pavlov's House

@weirwoodtreehugger – I guarantee you none of those redpill types actually do Crossfit. Maybe some go into a regular gym and half-ass clank around with weights sometimes but they would never actually do real Crossfit over time. Crossfit programming has as much calisthenics as “lifffffffting!” like those idiots always yap about. Plus the metabolic conditioning part of Crossfit is as big as the strength training. Crossfit wouldn’t fit their image of “weight-lifting” and image (or more precisely *imagination*) is what they seem to be about. Of course you don’t really know until you see someone in the gym, but their attitudes would not fit in with the Crossfit community. If nothing else, there are too many women and (too many men who like and get along with and work out with women) in most Crossfit boxes (i.e. Crossfit gyms)

Pavlov's House

@FlyingMouse – Love your comment.

(real-life airborne, air assault and parachute rigger, active duty, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), 1992-1993 – came back into the Reserves in 2014 after a *21 year* break-in-service. Yeah, you got that right. Dang, everything has changed! (I want my BDU’s back!) Some stuff has changed for the good though.

Herbert West
Herbert West

What the hell is a certified “Alpha”?
The very second you open your mouth to spout AlphaPhiThetaNy crap like it means something, you simply show to everyone that you’re an insecure wiener.

jaygee
jaygee

I know bulging muscles don’t translate to being able to deadlift exactly, but I’m reminded of this: http://distractify.com/Deborah-Gross/let-me-see-your-muscles/?ts_pid=2&ts_pid=5

Nameless Wonder
Nameless Wonder

I hate the way masculinity is discussed by academics. At the red pill, we’ve developed such a positive conception of masculinity where men are strong, pursue their interests, value themselves, act as individuals, don’t give their time and happiness away for free, require that people add value to their lives in order to be in it, and where the man just adds so much value to his sphere by being a great man.

I gotta say, this is the most pompous, self-righteous speech I have ever gotten the misfortune of getting a whiff of from Red Pill Land. Isn’t this what feminists have been struggling for since forever? So, human rights is a man thing – sorry, a “cis-white” male thing? They are basically saying that they want to continue having political and financial power over women (by denying feminism as a legitimate civil rights movement), but they don’t want the negative effects that go into living in a Patriarchy. They want their cake and eat it too.

Heh. Cis-white man wants to be valued and respected. Well shit, don’t we all? The problem is, he’s willing to stand in the way of women having the same human status he claims solely for himself. If a woman were to say all these things, he’d probably call her a selfish b-word.

LMAO at the woman on the flex cam. More power to her.

kravkernow
kravkernow

@ SFHC

Slightly O/T but can you remember which thread our dinosaur discussion was on?

Ta

Flying Mouse

@Pavlov’s House – Thank you! And thank you for your service, both past and present.

Oh, man, it sounds like you were at Campbell around the same time as my husband (he was either there or Korea at the time, can’t remember which off the top of my head). If you ever did anything with the 160th you might have run into him. The Army is such a small world.

I was out long before they phased in the ACU’s and I’m pretty sure Mr. FM never wore the current issue ones, either. How are they? They’ve always looked stiff and stuffy to me.

kravkernow
kravkernow

I want my BDU’s back!

BDU’s? How passe. Haven’t you hear MTP is the new black? 😉

bryna
bryna

Lol. How does one become a certified alpha?

Flying Mouse

BDU’s? How passe. Haven’t you hear MTP is the new black?

Pffft, why would anybody pay attention to British soldiers? Y’all salute weird and you wear your berets funny. 😉

kravkernow
kravkernow

@ Flying Mouse

Yeah, but at least we know how to pronounce lieutenant. 😉

kravkernow
kravkernow

Hey, why aren’t I Alan anymore?

Anyone know how to fix that?

Robert
Robert

In Pratchett’s “Unseen Academicals”, the character Mr.Nutt is very concerned with acquiring what he thinks of as ‘worth’. What he does in pursuit of this is generally admirable, but it’s never enough and the worth he acquires is in constant need of replenishment.
These clotpolls appear to think of masculinity in much the same way, except the things they do to acquire and maintain it are typically horrible. It seems very unrestful, always having to police your own behavior and seek reassurance from your fellow sufferers.

A good friend once referred to my “overwhelmingly masculine household”, despite that not being a concern for me, my husband and our two sons. Funny how that works.

@Alan

This is probably due to confirmation bias, but you look so veddy British in that photo.

kravkernow
kravkernow

It’s the bowler hat isn’t it? Always such a giveaway. 🙂

Orion

LBT,

I hadn’t realized you’d recently gone public. Hang in there. I hope it turns out well.

anotherorangefriday
anotherorangefriday

Terry Crews. Kthxbye

Pavlov's House
Pavlov's House

@Flying Mouse – yeah, we might have been there at the same time but I was with the rigger unit that was attached to the 101st itself. I think the 160th had their own riggers. I know 5th Special Forces Group had their own riggers. We rigged personnel chutes for the handful of units in the 101st that were still actually airborne (and not air assault like the division) and rigged heavy-drop for the division. I think we might have jumped with guys from the 160th at some point. I don’t remember for sure. You know how it is with riggers – we jumped all the time (have to – can’t rig unless you’re on jump status and make qualifying jumps every so often.)

Yeah, about the ACU’s….the velcro for nametapes and patches looked stupid to me at first but I got used to it. Apparently you have the option of removing the velcro and sewing all your stuff on if you don’t mind paying for it. I did because I think the pin-on rigger wings look stupid. I’ll be damned if I’m going to go to all this trouble to come back and not have my triple-stack sewn on my uniform. I’ve been to the field twice in ACU’s now. The pockets are awesome. They all close with velcro. I love the shoulder/upper arm pockets because you can put a flashlight and your notepad and pen in there and get to it easily. There’s also more pockets on the pants – more than just the old BDU cargo pockets.

And get this….in garrison, apparently you don’t iron ACUs! Remember ironing BDU’s? Good God. And nobody polishes boots in the Army anymore either. The ACU boots are that rough leather that you don’t polish.

Yeah, different Army. You should see all the new equipment. Last radio I had was the old PRC-77. People hand me stuff at drill and I’m like “I have never seen this before….” and one of our old E-8’s goes “oh yeah, you would have had the old such-and-such….” Pretty funny. Still, this old soldier has a 2-mile UNDER 15:00 and that’s at 45 years old. Can get over 50 reps on the push-ups and over 50 reps on the sit-ups on the APFT.

(But…..but….is my airborne self as cool and as manly as Rooooooooooshhhhh?? ‘Cause, you know, he “would be” a soldier, you know, if he had lived in a different time. “Would be…”. Weak little f*#$-er.)

Pavlov's House
Pavlov's House

@kravekernow What Flying Mouse said, heh.

But you Brits seriously do need a period of instruction on the correction pronunciation of “lieutenant.”

We join forces though and make fun of the Commonwealth countries’ armies. Good grief can those guys get some crazy-looking headgear going when they have half a mind to…..

Seriously though I wouldn’t mind trying MTP’s instead of ACU’s at least once. Different wars we’re getting ready for these days. BDU’s were made for running around in the West German woods in getting ready to be overrun by the 2nd Guards Tank Army….

The news freaks me out sometimes because I wonder whether we’re back to old Cold War rivalries. But the German battlefields we trained over and planned for wouldn’t be battlegrounds this time.

Debbie Nathan

There was a Satanic sex abuse panic, Ross Cheit’s claim to the contrary notwithstanding. Read this rebuttal to his book: http://ncrj.org/resources-2/response-to-ross-cheit/the-witch-hunt-narrative-rebuttal/

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Pavlov’s House

Ironically, most of my SF friends prefer US Digital (but then again they do like to be ‘different’)

And whilst not underestimating Soviet forces if the war had come in Winter we’d probably have been ok as the opposition would have drank all their anti-freeze. 🙂