a woman is always to blame all about the menz post contains sarcasm

Men finally get the recognition they deserve for their hard work in being men on all-male panels

The All-Man brothers
The All-Man Brothers

Congratulations, men! Or should I say con-MAN-ulations! At long last, men are finally getting the recognition they deserve for all the hard work they do as men on all-male panels.

You gals may complain about a lack of representation in the competitive being-on-all-male-panels industry, but when have you ever seen a woman on an all-male panel? Never, that’s when! Statistics show that men do a full 100% of the work in the field of all-male panels.

Besides, you ladies are just too flighty and emotional to handle the pressure of being on all-male panels. And who wants to put one of you on an all-male panel only to have you get pregnant half-way through the panel and leave to raise your kids?

Ladies, you know we love ya, but we just don’t want to ever hear anything you have to say.

freemage

Not just ‘all male’, either. I scrolled down the first page. For the ones with pictures, there were a handful of Middle-Eastern men (usually in panels having specifically to do with Middle East politics or Islam, of course), one identifiable Indian man, and the rest were all very clearly Caucasians. The Hoff was often the darkest-skinned person in the picture.

These panels seem to exist in a world where not only are there no women (even when they are discussing women’s issues!), but there are also no black people, no Hispanics, no East Asians. What the everloving fucking fuck?

M.
M.

No other all-male panel will ever top the fucking fever dream that was the all-male female birth control panel.

greyskye
greyskye

Come on M. Be reasonable. What would us women know about how our lady parts work? It’s a well known fact that our little brains overheat with too much science thinking! I have used up my internet allowance for the day and will spend the rest of the day baking bundt cakes and cleaning.

sunnysombrera

@M
Yup. And conservative leaning men too.

WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY SET UP THAT PANEL???

sunnysombrera

At least when MRAs whine that men should be able to choose whether a woman aborts or not, you can tell them that actually they DO have that power, since controlling access to abortion is exactly what that panel does and don’t all men get the credit for what a few men do? I think that’s how it works.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

A lot of the examples seemed to be from Finland, not that it explains away *all* the whiteness. What POC there are in Finland (and Europe generally) are certainly underrepresented in public.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

BTW, I totally didn’t expect to see my country’s prominent politicians pictured on this site.

Monzach
Monzach

I wasn’t quite ready to see the smiling faces of my country’s political leaders right here on WHTM. It’s especially scary to have the face of Mr. Soini (2nd from left on the screen) sprung up on you unawares. It’s slightly scary to see Finland represented so often on a list of all-male panels, since we were a shining beacon when it came to granting women suffrage, seeing as we were the third country in the world, and the first in Europe, to do so in 1906. As an added note, we also granted full suffrage to all adult men at the same time, so yay?

@Arctic Ape:

Nice to see a fellow Finn here! 🙂 *proceeds to write a long screed in Finnish*

Ellen

I don’t really get the purpose of that tumblr page. Is it made to demonstrate that there are too many all male panels and to mock it? Or does it celebrate the lack of women?

maistrechat

The Daily show did a pretty good version of that when they did a sketch involving a panel discussion to decide whether or not things were racist. Key & Peele were involved.

freemage

Ellen: You did see that the ‘award’ was a thumbs-up from David Hasselhoff, right? That’s pretty much a guarantee that it’s all about mocking those panels.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

@Ellen

“Update: the event now includes two fantastic women speakers! Allmalepanels.tumblr.com wholeheartedly and without a trace of irony congratulates Think Helsinki Think for a job well done.”

Ellen

freemage: I didn’t know that Hoff is usually used to make fun of sth., I’m not from US. But now I know that! Thanks 🙂

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

Huh, didn’t know Tumblr links did that. Good to know.

Ellen

@Banana Jackie,

ok, I didn’t see that. That makes the irony of the page quite clear. 😀

freemage

Ellen: The Hoff is, indeed, largely used as a punchline these days, even by himself. (His self-parody in the movie Stretch is genuinely magnificent.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

He’s also pretty amazing in that Piranha film (the rest of the film, not so much)

weirwoodtreehugger

I like the all male panel on women in Buddhism the best.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@weirwoodtreehugger:

I seem to recall an all-male panel on women in Atheism as well. That was fun.

Ellen

@ freemage,

I mostly know him as a star from Baywatch and Knight Rider. And as a singer. I didn’t know much about him beside that things. Stretch sounds interesing. I think I’ll watch it. 🙂

scalyllama

TV light entertainment shows are a study in this too. I did a statistical analysis of Stephen Fry’s show QI about three years ago, and if regular Alan Davies wasn’t included, women accounted for less than a quarter of all guests. With Alan included, it was around one eighth. They even managed to do a show where the old “Women just aren’t funny” trope was pulled out for inspection, with no apparent irony.

I have been intending ever since to analyse all such shows, but haven’t had time just yet.

Bakunin
Bakunin

The QI representation issue is getting better at least. The show is dude-heavy still, and white as bleached flour, but many more women are showing up on the panels. Now if only Moffat was bounced from everything he’s involved in…

zombiefishgirl
zombiefishgirl

The QI thing is getting better mainly because the BBC put in a rule that every panel show has to include at least one female guest now.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26107011

I’d noticed that and it certainly seemed deliberate; that’s really great to hear. (Would have been nice if Fry had been doing it voluntarily, but I’ll take what I can get.) I also thought their Ladies and Gents episode seemed a bit like a saving throw after the abysmal Girls and Boys episode.

Kootiepatra

Oh mercy, the girls and boys episode. Another one of those, “I love you, Mr. Fry, but egads…” moments.

zombiefishgirl
zombiefishgirl

I want to love Stephen Fry so much and I usually do but every so often he says something that makes that VERY difficult.

rugbyyogi

(male comedian) Dara O’Brien came out against the BBC ruling with something like “I wish they’d put more effort into get female coders instead of worrying about panel shows.” Errr no. It’s only by getting more women onto both serious and silly panels that people see women’s presence in other places both necessary and unremarkable.

This morning I went to a VERY male dominated panel discussion and conference. There was a woman chair (who I personally have issues with, but mainly because she doesn’t pay enough attention to me or my colleagues) who did a very good job. The only female panelist was clearly there because they were desperate for a female panelist. She was too young and inexperienced to make much traction. In a way that’s even worse. I don’t know if it was deliberate or if there really aren’t many women in this area with sufficient gravitas. (I can’t think of any…so maybe) Clearly a niche for me to explore. 🙂

In a few minutes, I’m about to facilitate a workshop on a topic I know little about. I hope this isn’t female tokenism. I’m sort of used to doing that so not too worried, but at the same time I suspect this may be a male dominated field.

Bakunin
Bakunin

To clarify, I wasn’t trying to lessen scalyllama’s comments about past series by saying it’s better now, more hoping to point out that highlighting the problems was working. I understand saying ‘but it’s better now’ is often used as a dismissive tactic and apologise for not being as clear in my comment as I could have been.

scalyllama
Reply to  Bakunin

@Bakunin

No problem! I understood exactly what you meant 🙂

I’ll have to dig out and update my analysis. IIRC, to correct the imbalance they would have needed to do all-female shows for quite some time. I remember being quite shocked.

It’s not the only show with that problem, however, and other broadcasters don’t have that sort of restriction. In Australia it’s a massive problem.

Bakunin
Bakunin

What surprises me is that considering Britain’s rather sizable South and South West Asian population, why so few of them have made it on QI. The only PoC I can think of is Reginald D. Hunter, who was hilarious, but only on two or three times. They recently added two or three new regulars from Australia, but no PoC in years? Don’t tell me the U. K. has no talented Asian performers.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Don’t tell me the U. K. has no talented Asian performers.

scalyllama

Oooh! I just found this:

It’s a page where men can pledge as follows:

“At a public conference I won’t serve on a panel of two people or more unless there is at least one woman on the panel, not including the Chair.”

Bakunin
Bakunin

Oh yeah, Trevor Noah was on once. First place I saw him actually.

DL
DL

I am so full of our politicians but I cannot escape. The jytky is here

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

This has recently come up again in regard to British chat shows. Traditionally, the female presenter is seated to the left so that the male is given precedence, even if the woman is the senior broadcaster. The exception is Richard and Judy, where Judy often seats on the right, but they are a married couple.