off topic open thread

6 baffling black-and-white pictures to confuse you with

Before there was Uber.
Life before Uber.

For no good reason, here are a bunch of baffling black-and-white pictures I’ve collected. Feel free to offer explanations, or to talk amongst yourselves about whatever.

Bully for you!
Bully for you!
mmm
Do I make you horny?
I don't even want to know.
I don’t even want to know.
Wat
Wat
The balloons aren't helping.
The balloons aren’t helping.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

These make more sense than Mras and Antifeminists memes.

Sarah
Sarah

That fifth one looks sort of like an early incarnation of Burning Man.

catmara

#3 reminds me of Waren Ellis’s old Edison Hate Future webcomics…

sunnysombrera

Black and white pictures always remind me of spooky unexplained mysteries. They usually have a rational explanation though. Anyone heard of the Solway Firth Spaceman photo?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

No 1 just shows that the Ponygirl fetish is older than we thought.

I love the Wicker Man picture. Appeals to my pagan sensibilities. And of course May is when it all kicks off for us. We’ve just had Flora Day and now it’s pretty much an event every weekend until the end of October and ‘the dark half’ (as no-one actually calls it) begins.

tooimpurenangel

The balloon on is really creepy to me.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sunnysombrera

Yup. Rather disappointingly when it’s reproduced with the correct colour balance it’s clearly just the girls’s mum in the background.

tooimpurenangel

One, dammit!

Paradoxical Intention

This reminds me of the book series Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

The author used old, creepy and weird photographs and wrote a story around them. The people in the photos became characters in the book. : D

tooimpurenangel

Those books are wonderful!

marinerachel
marinerachel

That birthday party does not look fun.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

I think #4 is some sort of Donald Duck choir.

sunnysombrera

@Alan
Yeah. And it turns out that the Falling Body photo is just a modern-day Photoshop creation. An impressive one though.

blanktie
blanktie

That last one seems creepy to me for some reason. The children almost seem frightened by something. I almost expect slender man to be hiding out in there somewhere. 😛

tooimpurenangel
Reply to  blanktie

Yes! The kids look like they’re waiting to be attacked by something. Maybe what’s inside the balloons isn’t air but monsters?

lkeke35

I thought the balloon party was creepy because all of those children have exceptionally red cheeks. In my horror fiction head cannon,ctheyre all vampire children who are trying to hypnotize the camera person, so they can feed.

sunnysombrera

It makes you think there must be some sort of ghostly presence in the space in the middle of that photo. The boy looks like he’s feeling a cold chill on the back of his neck, or a hand on his shoulder when he knows there is no-one behind him.

sunnysombrera

I’m in the mood for some spooky stories now. Off to r/paranormal I go!

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

#1. The women lost their horse so they travel on foot can’t miss that sale.
#2. I think it’s some sort of celebration for Bulls?
#3. The iPod in early development.
#4. Mickey Mouse has a fan club so can’t Donald have one too?
#5. The father of what? I can’t read that and the face of that thing looks like Cornelius from rudolf the red nosed reindeer movie.
#6. Paul Elam is the one who is taking the picture that’s why the children look so scared.

RoscoeTCat
RoscoeTCat

That last picture with the balloons…for some reason, it reminds me of the two little girl-ghosts in 1979s “The Shining”.

Fred_the_Dog

It looks like “the father of glaciers”. I’m sure the MRAs would all be going on about how the mother of glaciers is cold and icy.

Binjabreel

Everything with Victorian Era children makes me think of the girls from The Shining, so I’m not too surprised.

Bina
Bina

Those carriage ladies…oh my. Not only pulling a buggy, but in corsets and bustles, too! Can’t have gone very far.

Bina
Bina

Also, The Father of the Glaciers reminds me totally of The Wicker Man. Is there a policeman inside it, about to be burnt?

Mij
Mij
tcwill00
tcwill00

#2 looks like some Edwardian production of the classic Doctor Who serial “Horns of Nimon.”

Feathers
Feathers

My attempts at captioning…

1) Paulina Elam explains her plans for the nineteenth-century WGTOW movement.
2) After years of war, the Minotaur Legion is beset with manpower shortages.
3) Only through a specialized piano horn could David Bowie command the goblins.
4) What fowl chorus is this!?
5) Although he reluctantly posed for this picture, the father of glaciers did not appreciate our attempts at avant-garde beehive construction.
6) The children were promised their very own Zeppelins for Christmas, but instead they just got balloons.

The apparent source for #5… I guess it’s a snowman.

themeatfreezone
Reply to  lkeke35

I find that kinda adorable.

John Strycharz
John Strycharz

#1: Obscure historical fact: the 1916 Republican Party Platform included a policy to “encourage suffragettes to self-deport.”

This Handle is a Test
This Handle is a Test

Two thoughts,

on the 1st Photo: That picture almost looks like a pedicab situation in which someone added a whip for some reason.

Last photo: Its almost like someone’s worst birthday ever.

Bina
Bina

My first thought, seeing that one, was, Why do they all look so scared? And my second was that they all looked like they’d been infected with slapface.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I don’t know why, but #3 reminds me of Japanese war tubas:

(these weren’t really a musical instrument, but then again, I’m not sure #3 is, either)

epitome of incomprehensibility

@fruitloopsie – “the iPod in early development” – ha! I like that!

And now I want I giant organ-tuba. (I got a new instrument recently – it’s a folk harp with a handy tuning stick, and it sounds very pretty, even when my inexpert piano-playing hands have a go at it – but it’s a bit deficient in the loudness department.)

epitome of incomprehensibility

Also that chicken and toddler are up to no good.

Tracy
Tracy

A friend of mine caught slapface (slapcheek) from her infant niece! We’d never heard of it before. She got pretty sick.

But yeah – something terrible is about to happen at that party. Season 1 of American Horror Story terrible. Like, those kids are not leaving that house.

Actually, pic #2 is right out of American Horror Story S3. (I have so much love/hate for that Season)

brooked
brooked

The last photo would be a great decoration for “The Shining”-themed birthday party I’m planning for my seven year old niece. Her parents always reject my party plans, but I think this one’s a winner. Come and play with us.

mildlymagnificent

We’d never heard of it before. She got pretty sick.

Yeah. “Slapped cheeks” virus is one of those all or nothing illnesses. Practically everybody has had it and many people never even notice, they were just a bit feverish and off-colour for a couple of days. They certainly wouldn’t have gone to the doctor. Others get it just a little bit worse with a rash – that’s pretty well gone by the time they get to a doctor.

Then there are those like my bloody kids. One had a term off school, the other was so ill she had to stay home and sign up with distance education for a few months. It was diabolical. Her feet were so painful that she cried just getting out of bed to go to the toilet.

LordCrowstaff
LordCrowstaff

The first photo is actually pro-lesbian wedding-propaganda. As the Victorian philosopher Franklyn Sinatra the IIIrd said: “Love and marriage go together like the horse and carriage”. By posing as the horse AND the carriage, the women are making their argument for same-sex marriage.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

@ Tracy

I want to guess the people in #2 are slaughterers or something? And this is some kind of initiation to the slaughterer’s trade union?

Donald Duck’s animator, Carl Banks apparently drew a lot of anthropomorphic duck erotica, so maybe #4 is just an early furry convention. [NSFW and may ruin your childhood: http://www.cracked.com/article_21568_7-famous-artists-you-didnt-know-were-perverts-pt.-2_p2.html%5D

I really want to know how they built the Father of Glaciers. That really must have been quite a feat.

Kagato
Kagato
Kootiepatra

I couldn’t help but look at the people wearing bull’s heads, and imagine a future publication 100 years from now gawping at all the people who have gone viral wearing rubber horse masks…

LordCrowstaff
LordCrowstaff

@kagato: Magnificient

Moggie
Moggie

Sarah:

That fifth one looks sort of like an early incarnation of Burning Man.

It’s Burning Man’s more genteel forerunner, Burning Chap.

M.
M.

There’s only one possible explanation for that last one:

weirwoodtreehugger

I’d never heard of slapped cheek disease before. Thanks all for giving me a new disease to look up!

sn0rkmaiden

OT, but Roosh just announced his ‘World Tour’ (two thirds of which is scheduled in North America), where he will be delivering lectures about how the whole world’s going to hell in a hand basket while trying to sell date rapes guides; no irony there.

And, maybe I have a filthy mind, but in the photo he’s put on the web page, it looks like he’s groping a pair of invisible breasts:

Bina
Bina

Roosh, “world tour”? Huh. I’d guess he’s on the lam for sexual assault again.

sn0rkmaiden

I think he’s hoping to be the next Julien Blanc. He’s announced that all the venues are being kept secret until the last minute to prevent ‘unattractive feminists’ from protesting them.