no trolls allowed off topic open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: May 2015 Dinosaurs Are Ruining My Life Edition

Those pesky dinosaurs!
Those pesky dinosaurs!

An open thread for personal stuff, continued from here. As always: No trolls, no MRAs/PUAs/MGTOWs/dinosaurs etc, be nice. Email the mods/me if shit gets weird.

mildlymagnificent

I should really ask my parents to write this all down, cos all I know is bits and peices.

My older daughter is using some of the time on her free Mondays with my 90 year old mother doing oral history. That’s a good thing in itself.

(For my part I’m glad it’ll put an end, finally, to mum forever moaning about “the young people” not being interested in family, or any, history. She’s chucked out lots of stuff over the years without discussing it with anyone on that basis, and all of us at one time or another have been Bloody Irritated that she’s presumed so much. Because of her age she’s more or less the living trustee of a lot of family possessions and memorabilia and we all feel that we should get some say even though the “stuff” is in her house. If she wants rid of it, she should ask around to see who is and isn’t interested. We did get her to keep her father’s medals and other stuff from both world wars — and she’s now treating those things as more or less dedicated to her one and only grandson. That was long after I practically had to force her to let me keep his tin trunk from WW1 along with her old hatboxes.)

Now she knows, for absolute certain, that the grandkids are interested.

emcdowall

Hi Everyone;
I wanted to let you all know that my dad has been found and he is safe. Thank you for your thoughts and shares. My family and I are so grateful!

Also, I apologize for the double post (also under @trendafilka); I wasn’t sure if it went through correctly.

Thank you again.

leftwingfox

emcdowall: Glad he was found safe!

(Sorry for being semi-incommunicado here, I asked the office to block a number of sites, especially political ones, which were taking up too much of my attention during office hours.)

marinerachel
marinerachel

Lupus flare-up wut wut!

mildlymagnificent

Glad about your dad, emcdowall.

marinerachel. Sympathies. Take care of yourself.

maistrechat

@Alan Robertshaw

My mother-in-law owns a women’s fitness studio that has been phenomenally successful here and has gotten some positive press. What they are doing sounds pretty similar to what you’re talking about. I could probably put you in contact with them/toss you some media if you’re interested and/or looking for ideas.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ maistrechat

That would be very much appreciated; thank you.

I’m trying.
I am really trying.
I am not screaming, and god I want to scream

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m no expert on this sort of thing, but isn’t a good scream sometimes cathartic?

I’m fortunate that I seem to be able to plod along in life but I do enjoy a good yell sometimes, especially when I’m in the middle of nowhere.

Hope that doesn’t all sound too trite, not trying to minimise what you’re going through.

gilshalos

Screaming can be cathartic, yes. I have found it so in the past. But you have to be in the right mood ? Wanting to scream, and being in the right mood to scream aren’t always the same thing, unfortunately.
Also, neighbours can get upset if they hear screams :/

gilshalos

And I just got to make a Passport To Pimlico joke about Burgundy!
(I guess only Brits will get the ref)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Mornington Crescent!

[If we’re being *really* British]

You can’t get to Mornington Crescent from plimlico! 😛

OK, election results coming in. And the F*cking Tories have won. At least in Scotland we’ve got the SNP

gilshalos

I have duck breasts. I like to eat duck breasts. I haven’t had a meal in 24 hours. I should eat duck. Tell me to eat duck

Spindrift
Spindrift

@gilshalos

Eat duck, yummy duck!

gilshalos

Cooking now if I can get my eyes to focus. Duck, frozen peas, oven chips. Lemon juice and soy sauce optional. I even have a clean plate (ONE clean plate)

gilshalos

I forgot the mushrooms! Definately mushrooms!

gilshalos

And I am eating. Tastes great!

gilshalos

Also screaming over the election results, but hey! I’m eating!

epitome of incomprehensibility

Mmm, that sounds good. Sometimes I can scrape together pretty yummy stuff from leftovers, even if it sounds super lazy – yesterday I picked some dandelion leaves and chives from outside and mixed them up with leftover potato salad. Dandelion leaves can be bitter by themselves, but they went really well with the potato-egg taste.

I have to leave in a few minutes for work, and it’s Saturday, and I don’t want to. There’s also a freelance project I was supposed to finish yesterday (I am not so great with deadlines) and because it’s not urgent I’ve been lazy about it. Mind you, if it were urgent, I’d probably be too nervous to get it done before, say, Monday. I hate my mind sometimes 🙁 (All very first-world-problemy, I know.)

dhag85

First day on my inofficial diet. So far I’ve had a big bowl of ice cream, a little chocolate pudding, and nothing else. So.. maybe I’ll make tomorrow the first day instead? Hmm.

But great job, gilshalos. :p

Protein dhag, protein!

contrapangloss

dhag… real food, real food.

Ice cream is not a primary food group. Even if it is delicious.

gilshalos

@epitome – That sounds yummy (though I don’t add egg to my potato salad). I used to say that it wasn’t that I didn’t weed, I was farming dandelions 🙂

gilshalos

Cooking pizza , easy food.Trying to be sane. You know the fact that I am insane makes so much sense of my life ? And that is scary. An old friend who is a doctor says I am not sociopathic. Social-phobic, yes, avoidant personality, possibly. Insane…that makes sense. Horrible sense.

gilshalos

I can say that I am insane here. Please the goddess I am insane.. This is the day I can admit it. I am insane.

gilshalos

Darn, both a friend who is a doctor and a friend who is bi-polar have told me I need to see a doctor about my mania. Guess I need to make that appointment

contrapangloss

Good luck with the appointment, gilshalos!

Maybe they’ll figure out a way to help smooth down the bumps and shallow out the lows for you…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Hi gilshalos

Don’t know if you’ve seen this. You might find it interesting/helpful. Good luck with the appointment.

gilshalos

I’ve been unipolar depressive for 20-odd years. Just this last year I’ve been showing signs of mania. Did I say, Damn ? Cos Damn!

Recounts…uh…40 odd years unipolar

Monzach
Monzach

Hi WHTM! Fairly new listener, first time caller here. I just wanted to come to a safe space to vent a little about the fact that I got dumped some 90 minutes ago, apparently for being “too charming”. I mean, the lady in question was well within her rights to end the relationship, but I’m still a little flummoxed. 🙁

I’m a 33 year-old cis (though not het) male from the distinctly northern country of Finland. I love reading new posts on here and playing strategy games.

*sits back down*

weirwoodtreehugger

In preparation for my move next Saturday, I started throwing out stuff. I finally tossed some old clothes that haven’t fit since ten years ago during my ed days. I’m having some mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I’m proud to have accepted that my body is what it is. I know I’m not going to be a size small without starving myself and I’m not going to that anymore. When I moved into this place 5 years ago, I wasn’t ready yet.
On the other hand, I’m sad and ashamed that my skinny clothes don’t fit and never will. I feel weak and fat and like I should have the fortitude to starve myself and like a bad person that I’m not motivated to anymore.

weirwoodtreehugger

And welcome Monzach! Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. Click on the scented candle to the right for a welcome package.

Paradoxical Intention

Seconding Monzach’s welcome!

Also, I’m going to be conspicuously absent from the 15th to the 26th of this month. I’m going out of state to visit family (if I hadn’t mentioned this previously. My memory’s kind of shit. >.>)

contrapangloss

I have three days off after a full set of shifts! They let me and my partner run the box by ourselves for the most part this week, as opposed to last week when we had a paramedic or a EMT-3 riding with us.

It’s been fun. Most of our calls are pretty straightforward, and we haven’t had anything too ridiculous yet.

Probably we’ll start having a rider again in a week or two so I can start having patient check offs scored as part of the precept thing, but for now they’re just a little understaffed. Also, when I shift to driving, my partner will definitely want the rider: he literally just got his cert for EMT three months ago.

It’s really, really bizarre being the experienced one on scene. Super bizzare.

Drezden
Drezden

I’m going to brag a little here. The Empire state building has 102 floors. Thus far today, I have climbed and equivalent number of stairs. Tomorrow I’m shooting for the world’s tallest building.

gilshalos

Been stable the past 4 days. Slightly manic today. Doc appointment is June 2nd (drawbacks of having a good, popular doctor)

gilshalos

There is a news story about adding an iron item to boiling food/water to combat anaemia. I’m pondering adapting it cos..I have a history with anaemia. It relates to my eating issues, but about 7 years back I was admitted to hospital with the most extreme case of anaemia the hospital (in a city) had ever seen. The nurse didn’t even want me on her ward. Then the IV line popped out and my blood literally fountained from my arm. I couldn’t get the call button to work, but another patient called the nurses. They stopped the bleeding, cleaned me up, decided not to call a doc. A bit later, the IV in my other arm popped…same result.

adapting/adopting

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@gilshalos – I’ve heard of Japanese recipes where they add an iron nail to black soybeans to help them retain color. And I’ve read that cooking on cast iron gives you a little extra dose of iron, too, since some of it leeches out of the cookware into your food. I’ve never come across adding iron objects to boiling water or other simmered dishes, though. I’m intrigued by that idea, too. Both my little guy and I tend to be slightly low on iron, and supplements suck. Probably wouldn’t hurt for any of us to give it a try.

I’ve also noticed that when I donate blood I tend to fill up the bag fairly quickly (I’ve amazed a couple of phlebotomists in my time). I’ve never connected that to my iron issues. You’ve taught me something today!

gilshalos

Tonight, pulled pork with a sweet bbq sauce.

Robert
Robert

Speaking of health issues. My husband got the ultimatum from his M.D. earlier last week. His cholesterol is elevated, he’s forty pounds over target weight – oh, and the diabetes. That’s new. He needs to modify his diet and activity levels, or he’ll need medication for it. Along with the thyroid replacement meds and gout meds. Since both our sons are at risk for developing diabetes themselves, it’s time for me to change how I feed them. More whole grains, legumes, leafy greens and lean proteins, less white flour, sugar and saturated fats.

My husband is a pastry chef. This is like the lead guitarist of a hair metal band developing migraines. He can still MAKE the stuff, but eating it is out. I’m still a bit disconcerted – I’ve got AIDS and I’m the healthy one in the family? Who’s writing this stuff? I mentioned to husband that the gym he’s joined is a brisk twenty minute walk away (each way), which I walk routinely. He could walk there, work out, and walk home. “And then die,” he replied tartly. I don’t drive, so walking considerable distances is something I’m used to. For him, walking is how he gets to the car. I’m thinking that might need to change.

Myriad
Myriad

Sorry to hear that, Robert. I know that it is going to be an adjust for him. My husband has diabetes and a whole host of other health problems too. I’m switching us to a low-salt, balanced-carbohydrate, heart-healthy diet. It has been slow transition, but it is starting to have an effect. Good luck.

On another note, I am so excited I just have to tell someone. My oldest child’s legal name change decree came in the mail yesterday, and last week his therapist agreed that he has gender dysphoria and is now going to hook him up with a doctor so he can start T treatments and the surgery eventually. This has been such a long road for him so far, and I am on cloud nine that my baby (well, he is grown but you know) is taking the first steps to become the person he truly is. The smile on his face yesterday was priceless.

Robert
Robert

Myriad, that IS great news! How fortunate he is to have such a supportive parent. Best of luck with the new diet. Lucky how ‘eating like a diabetic’ is actually good for people who aren’t, too.

Myriad
Myriad

@Robert

Yeah, I’ve noticed I have a little more sustained energy since eating a more diabetic diet. We are easing into eating it more consistently, but some days it is just too tiring to cook.

Thank you. I feel fortunate to have him as a son. 🙂

LBT
LBT

Congrats to your son and you, Myriad! 😀

I’ve had a lot of shit going on, but I’ve been away for a while. : Don’t want to spam.

Myriad
Myriad

@LBT

I’m glad that your back! You have been missed. I hope everything is okay. If not, hugs if you want them.

Thanks, I’m pretty happy about it.

mildlymagnificent

Good to see you anyway, LBT.

LBT
LBT

Everything’s okay. I made a new comic about the incest in our family, which has been selling well, but also brought some family backlash. The memory work is still ongoing, and I’ve been getting trolled, which is why I’m back here. At least here, we MOCK the trolls.