advocacy of violence antifeminism antifeminist women creepy entitled babies judgybitch misogyny MRA oppressed men threats

Janet Bloomfield attacks alleged feminist “terrorism”; evidently unbothered by comment promising “vengeance” against feminists.

How to be beach body ready: 1) have a body 2) go to the beach
How to be beach body ready: 1) have a body 2) go to the beach

Today, a bit of creepy irony, courtesy of Janet Bloomfield’s JudgyBitch blog.

Yesterday, Bloomfield put up a post (archived here) with the title “Feminists borrowing from terrorists now?” The source of her outrage? The anger directed at the now-notorious “Are You Beach Body Ready” ads posted in London tube stations by a weightloss powder company called Protein World.

The ads’ detractors, many of them feminists, think that the ad campaign contributes to fat shaming. Some of these critics have — gasp! — written on the ads with magic markers to express their dissatisfaction, acts of minor vandalism that the company’s CEO indignantly denounced  as “terrorism.” No, really.

The company has also, it claims, gotten a number of threats, including a bomb threat. That’s a lot more serious, and completely indefensible; bomb threats are indeed intended to terrorise.

The irony? When I went to take a look at Bloomfield’s post last night, this was the first comment left on it:

Guest • a day ago I can imagine how the Jews felt when the Germans were organizing their extermination. I'm going to be one of those that doesn't go quietly into the night. I'll have my vengeance, though no one will ever know who I am, or why I did it.

I’m sorry, but that’s pretty fucking creepy. And it’s now been up on her site for a day.

I’m not quite sure how Bloomfield figures that bomb threats are terrorism but a comment warning feminists that “I’ll have my vengeance” is fine.

weirwoodtreehugger

What’s with the rash of men acting like they’re being judged equally or more than women for their weight the last couple of days?

Ugh.

Fat shaming exists for both genders. But men are at least allowed to compensate for not being conventionally attractive. They can be smart, funny, talented, rich etc. Women are at best invisible, at worst treated with contempt if we aren’t pretty and thin. No other trait can compensate in the eyes of our culture.

Bryce
Bryce

@paradoxical intention

“Here’s the thing about fat men: You’re allowed to exist. You exist on television, you exist in the media, you’re allowed to be fat and exist at the same time if you’re a man.”

As far as television/Hollywood goes they’re allowed to exist, but *within certain contexts*; the harmless cuddly bear type father figure; a clownish low self-esteem friend; the one dimensional security guard/computer geek. They’re hardly ever a protagonist, there is not emotional subtext going on; the viewer isn’t supposed to identify with them.

Fat men might be more visible but they’re still presented basically as a joke.

isidore13

Bryce… No. Just no. Chris Farley. Kevin James. Billy Gardell. That’s just off the top of my head.

@isidore13

Jack Black was the first one off the top of my head. Of course, I fucking love Jack Black.

@isidore13

JOHN GOODMAN!

Like, how could we forget him?! He’s awesome in any role! Seriously, is there any part he’s been in that’s been bad?

Paradoxical Intention

@Bryce: And fat women aren’t? Oh, wait, how many fat women are on television nowadays?

My point still stands: You’re allowed to *exist* as a fat man. I never said it was a nice existence, I never said it was all sunshine and daisies. But you still get to exist.

Though, I would still ask: How many fat men (or men who don’t look like underwear models) do you see with attractive wives on television? It’s actually a pretty common trope.

Ooh, or better yet: how many of those “jokes” still get treated like a person instead of just a thing to compliment someone else? How many times to those “jokes” still get an episode or a story arc where they’re suddenly not a joke?

Case in point: Homer Simpson is a fat, stupid balding guy with a hot wife. But, he’s had a story arc where he was suddenly super intelligent, but went back to the way he was for his family. Even though he’s a “joke”, and we laugh at him and his stupidity, he’s still shown to be a father who deeply cares for his family and someone who would do anything for his kids and his wife.

Bryce
Bryce

@ isidore13

Variations of the funny-but-ineffectual fat guy stereotype, and their weight is often the punchline both off and on-screen.

isidore13

@banana, he’s awesome! Eric stonestreet is another. All of these are fat actors who were or are protagonists, with love interests and emotional depth. Even Farley, in Tommy Boy.

@isidore13

Michael Moore, Jorge Garcia (though I haven’t seen him in a bit), Jonah Hill, Bill Murray, Alec Baldwin, Nathan Lane (everyone loves Nathan Lane), JAMES EARL JONES, Orson Welles, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt–I know I’m forgetting a lot here.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

Jonah Hill, Bill Murray, Orson Welles, John Goodman and JAMES EARL JONES have had at least several serious roles that weren’t centered around their characters being fat, too.

isidore13

@banana, John Goodman, John Candy, Jason Alexander, Belushi brothers, Dom Deluise, George Wendt, Robbie Coltrane, Richard Griffiths, Jonathan Rhys-Davies.

isidore13

All of those are serious, well respected actors with long careers being more than just the fatties, too.

M.
M.

So when I turned a kangaroo crossing into a dragon crossing, it wasn’t because I was a bored-as-hell teenager with a Sharpie waiting for the bus, it was because I was secretly a terrorist? Huh.

Admittedly this is from a pretty progressive (it also has a few badass women and an openly gay character!) animated movie franchise, but the first one off my head was Stoick from How To Train Your Dragon.

sparky
sparky

Bryce: Please name a fat actress or fat female character who has the kind of emotional depth that actors like James Earl Jones, John Goodman, or even an animated character like Homer Simpson is shown to have.

Hell, James Earl Jones – “funny-but-ineffectual fat guy stereotype” – I think not. Who is the female equivalent to James Earl Jones?

@isidore13

Now let’s name all the fat actresses!

Rosie O’Donnell, Queen Latifah, Melissa McCarthy, Roseanne Barr…er…Liberty Ross…

Well, how many serious roles have they have had that makes no mention of their weight?

Uh…huh…

Oh! Oh! Gabourey Sidibe in Precious…although her weight was part of it…hmmm…

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

OH! Bette Midler. Everyone loves Bette Midler. She has been in serious roles that weren’t about her weight, either. Although she’s certainly skinnier than the other actresses I’ve mentioned.

isidore13

Kathy Bates! There’s one!

isidore13

Do we count Oprah Winfrey?

isidore13

Also I don’t think Gabourey Sidibe got many more roles…

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

She did voice the mother from Princess and the Frog for about two minutes, so I guess she’s an actor.

Oh, wait, does that mean Michael Moore is out? Well, i guess that saves space on paper if he’s out.

@isidore13

Yeah, but, you know, how many movies had a fat actress front and center in a serious movie part within the last 50 years?

Basically that one.

I notice Bryce has fallen silent…

Bryce
Bryce

Bill Murray isn’t particularly overweight, although certainly not conventionally attractive; very few serious in depth character portrayals (Lost in Translation seems to be the most notable) and only then after cutting his teeth in comedy. John Goodman, not really familiar with him, but again it seems like serious characters are only an option after becoming established via a long string of comedic roles.

James Earl Jones… plays a distanced authority figure, a judge or retired head of department (roles often set aside to for older black actors to give the impression race is no longer a factor in society).

@isidore13

Nah, I’m sure they just haven’t check the thread in a bit. We did rapidly post several times, so, yeah.

You know, giving him the benefit of the doubt.

isidore13

So that’s like, what, 25-50 fat actors who more or less qualify according to Bryce? And fewer than 10 fat actresses. So far.

isidore13

Bryce, comedy is not in and of itself making fun of fat people. A lot of thin serious actors also cut their teeth in comedic roles. Comedic roles sell more and make more money.

@Bryce

Wow, way to eliminate 3 actors. That only leaves over a dozen others. Good job showing us who’s right.

And how dare you not be familiar with John Goodman. HAVE YOU NO HEART? HAVE YOU NO SOUL? HAVE YOU NO TELEVISION BECAUSE HE’S IN A SHIT-TON OF MOVIES AND TV SHOWS.

Seriously, how is anyone NOT familiar with John Goodman?

isidore13

Comedic roles are also just as often as dramatic roles full of emotional depth.

Orion

Jorge Garcia.

@Orion

Already got him.

isidore13

Also nothing you said about James Earl Jones’ career changes him being a well-respected fat actor whose roles aren’t about his weight.

isidore13

We can have a conversation about racist tropes if you want, but this isn’t that.

@isidore13

Should we start listing public officials and CEOs and shit who are men and are overweight compared to their female counterparts?

Well, I mean, you can. I don’t have all night to list them all, and, fuck, we’ll need a hella a lot more time to dig up fat women CEOs and public officer holders.

M.
M.

Bryce, didn’t you admit that you’re wrong and apologise for WATMing in the last thread?

@isidore13

I’m pretty sure, off the top of my head, that Chris Farley and Jack Black have many roles that have jokes about their weight. Everyone else may have one or two.

M.
M.

Also:

John Goodman, not really familiar with him …

This is the point where I lose all benefit of the doubt and know you’re just fucking with us. Only one of the most active and well-known actors in freakin’ history…

@M.

I’m sure it’s totally possible for Bryce to have not seen any episode of Roseanne, The Big Easy, Raising Arizona, Stella, King Ralph, The Babe, We’re Back! A Dinosaur’s Story, The Borrowers, The Big Lebowski, Saturday Night Live from 1989 to 2013, The Runner, Futurama Christmas specials, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Coyote Ugly, The Emperor’s New Groove, Arachnophobia, The Princess and the Frog, ParaNorman, Community, Monsters Inc, Argo, The Internship, Flight…

Okay, I’m sure I’m missing some…

brooked
brooked

I was going to add to the list with guys like Brian Dennehy, Paul Sorvino and Vincent D’Onofrio, but if you don’t know who John Goodman is I won’t bother.

sparky
sparky

Bryce: I would not describe James Earl Jones’s performance in Field of Dreams as a “distanced authority figure.” And do you really not think that comedies can’t and don’t have serious and in-depth character portrayals? Wes Anderson (among others) would have a bone to pick with you.

If anyone is unfamiliar with John Goodman, I recommend The Monuments Men and Bringing out the Dead.

But, seriously, where are the female equivalents of these actors? Kathy Bates is the only one I can think of who garners some of the same kind of respect, and gets some of the same depth of character in her roles.

The only movies I can think of, that I’ve seen, that has a fat woman with any kind of character development, and is shown as being worthy of love, is My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Hairspray. And even in Hairspray, Tracy and Edna Turnblad’s weight is played for laughs.

I was a bored-as-hell teenager with a Sharpie waiting for the bus

Why was a Sharpie waiting for the bus?

brooked
brooked

James Earl Jones won the first of his two Tony Awards for Best Leading Actor in 1969. You should stop discussing actors you know nothing about.

Bryce
Bryce

@ m

There’s no way I’m would dispute that fat men are much more visible through the media and popular culture, and that overweight men receive a degree of validation here, but that doesn’t mean they’re presented in the same manner as their thin counterparts. John Goodman..I’m just not aware of his recent roles but it seems like most people still place him as Dan Conner, cuddly father figure. Tom Selleck might be another example, he’s ‘distinguished’ and a little portly now, yet he was fit and athletic in his Magnum Mo-tastic days.

Spindrift
Spindrift

“John Goodman, not really familiar with him …”

Here he is, singing a song.

I tend to recognise actors more by their faces than by their names, I imagine lots of people have seen John Goodman in a number of things but don’t recognise him by name.

weirwoodtreehugger

Nobody has mentioned Louis C.K. yet?

I’m all the time hearing women talk about attractive they find him. Is there a female equivalent that men love? Not that I can think of. Oh, and there was a whole episode of his show about this very subject. His character liked a woman who was in the same weigh/conventional attractiveness scale as him. And he was embarrassed to be seen with her.

I think that says it all.

weirwoodtreehugger

James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano. Not a joke. Speaking of New Jersey, has there ever been a female governor as fat as Chris Christie? I don’t think so, and I don’t see it happening.

weirwoodtreehugger

Not to spam the thread right now (I have tomorrow off and have been celebrating with lots of wine), but I can’t be the only one annoyed at having to prove bias against women to semi-regulars on a fucking feminist blog, right?

Bryce, people here have been extremely generous in assuming that you have some other motive than to whine that feminists are not devoting enough attention to Dude Problems.

The longer you go down this path, the less inclined we’re going to be to be generous.

@WWTH

This is the first time I’ve done it and I’m already fucking tired of it.

sparky
sparky

Oh, speaking of fictional mobsters – Marlon freakin’ Brando.

Bryce:

Um, yeah, that’s pretty much what we’re talking about here. Fat women do not get the same visibility and validation in the media that fat men get. Fat men can be stereotyped as the affable, goofy fat guy – but not always. Fat women are usually either completely invisible non-entities, or the butt of fat jokes.

M.
M.

Hmm. I was going to link Bryce to an article about why he’s pissing us off, but both posts vanished into the ether without even going into moderation. Glitch or is Vagenda filtered?