antifeminism antifeminist women FemRAs FeMRAsplaining judgybitch misogyny MRA transphobia

MRA Janet Bloomfield: Bruce Jenner “is joining the privileged caste … For the vast majority of men, that isn’t an option.”

Jenner on 20/20
Jenner on 20/20

In an interview with ABC’s Diane Sawyer, Bruce Jenner has confirmed to the world what many already suspected, that “for all intents and purposes, I am a woman.”

The strangest reaction to this news that I have seen thus far comes from the reliably strange and terrible Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield, who seems to think that Jenner is transitioning out of jealousy of the attention the world pays to Kim Kardashian and her sisters.

Here’s Bloomfield:

Jenner lives in a house filled with crazy, beautiful and incredibly wealthy women who use their looks to generate enormous amounts of income. Surely, it must be clear to him and everyone who watches these fame whores that the power to use tits and ass and turn it into cash resides with women. … Bruce is now set to join the powerful women of his clan as one of their own, and good for him.

Where to even start? At 65 years old. I’m pretty sure that Jenner isn’t looking to use “tits and ass and turn it into cash.”

Bloomfield points out some of the amazing benefits she’s convinced herself Jenner will gain as a woman:

Now that he’s a woman, or soon will be one, the media goes mad to offer him the kindness they deny to men. You can bet the feminist media in particular will trip over themselves to provide Bruce the woman with all the support they routinely refuse to offer men. Bruce now no longer needs to be taught not to rape, because he has magically lost the ability to rape, amirite? Bruce will now be the automatic victim of domestic violence (assuming it’s a man who hits him and not one of those psycho women he lives with). Bruce is now under no obligation to provide evidence for any accusations of sexual assault he cares to make.

Wow. I guess life as a trans woman is one big domestic-abusing, false-accusing party. Who knew?

Bruce is joining the privileged caste …

As a society, we simply don’t give a fuck about men’s pain.  …

Bruce Jenner has solved his problem and closed the empathy gap in a way very few other men can. He became a woman. For the vast majority of men, that isn’t an option, nor should it have to be.

If you need me, I’ll just be here banging my head quietly on my desk.

NOTE: I had used the “he” pronoun in this post because I had read articles saying that was Jenner’s preferred pronoun for now, but it seems that was just for the interview. I’ve reworked the post to remove it.

Spindrift
Spindrift

Hope you feel better soon, Bina. I’m with fruitloopsie, you don’t need those people in your life if they’re going to be transphobic. I’m glad at least some of your friends think the same.

Have another kitten!

marinerachel
marinerachel

That is a terrific kitten,

Anne
Anne

I lack Words to describe how ignorent Judgybitch is…..*facepalm*

scalyllama
Reply to  Bianca

Hey Bianca – thanks for your personal insight on the pronoun dilemma! It can be difficult to know what one should do and I’ve always erred on the side of complying with the trans* person’s request, if stated. I also think it’s time we all took more responsibility for this by asking the person directly, if we’re not sure. It’s a small courtesy that costs nothing to offer, but that may make a huge difference to anyone who is navigating their way through such a life change. To stretch the sailing analogy, if I can provide a space for someone to place their own navigation beacon, why would I not do so?

All that aside, I haven’t watched the interview yet either, but all reports I’ve read indicate Bruce has specifically requested people to continue with ‘he’ and ‘him’ for now. It’s his journey and he needs to chart his own course through it, as each of us must do with our own lives. I will change pronouns in the future if he requests it, of course 🙂

Awareness is a great and important thing, so again I thank you Bianca for sharing your experience. It always makes me feel warm and happy that we all feel safe to express ourselves here. I guess we have to thank Dave and the mods for that ????

(And if anyone who HAS watched the interview can clarify the pronoun question, that would be awesome! I would do it myself but I’m doped up on painkillers post-surgery and probably wouldn’t get through it all without ???? )

Ellesar
Ellesar

Some basic points about life post transition that transwomen have told me:

they earn less
they are listened to less
they have less authority
they are patronised more
if they do not fully pass at the very least a lot of funny looks and attitude, at worst physical threats and the carrying out of said threats

Where the effing hell does JB live that she does not recognise the first 4, because I certainly do!

sevenofmine

Bianca | April 26, 2015 at 2:12 am

I can’t be sure, but I think it’d be better to refer to Jenner with she/her pronouns, even if she has said she’s using he/him for now, because it’s fairly common for trans people to put up with the wrong pronouns either due to lack of confidence or because they fear public backlash. For a time, even in queer spaces I went by my birth name and said I didn’t mind which pronouns people used for me, before I became confident enough to say that, yes, I do mind, and I prefer she/her myself.

And would you have been cool with someone you’d never met deciding for you that it’s time you start using feminine pronouns? I appreciate you sharing your experience as well but I think you’re being awfully presumptuous here.

the 4th survivor
the 4th survivor

Well she’s right about one thing. Society doesn’t care about men’s pain.

misha5678
misha5678

@the 4th survivor

Haven’t you posted random nonsense here before?

And lol, wut.

the 4th survivor
the 4th survivor

Nope never posted any nonsense. The feminists and liberals on here just don’t like what I have to say because it conflicts with their worldview.

Orion

Yes, 4th made a really embarassing critique of Anita Sarkeesian’s videos. I am on record as a critic of TvW myself, but 4th wouldn’t know a good argument if it bit him.

Spindrift
Spindrift

“Seriously look at how the majority of men have been treated throughout history and then tell me society cares about men’s pain.”

…how they’ve been treated by other men? Yeah, men have been pretty aweful throughout history.

Kootiepatra

Misha

No the 4th survivor, that’s just lazy. You look, and then you tell. Personally, I can’t be asked to piece together a cohesive rebuttal when you haven’t even bothered to fully articulate your own points.

Weaksauce trolling, would not come again.

the 4th survivor
the 4th survivor

“You could substitute “men” with a lot of other demographics and find out that society generally only cares about the pain of the “right” sort of people—which is a largely male, able-bodied, wealthy demographic. It’s almost like intersectionality is a thing.”

@Misha Do your own research.

@Orion It was “embarrassing” to you because you didn’t like what I had to say. Plain and simple. I said video gaming is the way it is because it’s dictated by the vast majority. The number of gamers who happen to be both female and feminist are very small.

the 4th survivor
the 4th survivor

I wrote another reply in that article about Sarkeesian if anyone still has any interest in that.

Spindrift
Spindrift

“And you really think it would be different if women were in charge? You think they would be more moral? Please. They would be no different.”

Kootiepatra

…I’m 100% sure I did not speculate as to how things might be different in an alternate reality where women are in charge.

Misha

Oh lord, you’re boring.

And you really think it would be different if women were in charge?

So, by your own admission, men are in charge

dictating away, like the vast majority they are

…. and yet

Society doesn’t care about men’s pain.

I mean, just keep on going. I’m sure the insert-other-foot-in-mouth approach will work out for you eventually.

Misha

@Misha Do your own research.

When somebody requests that you put effort into substantiating the opinions that you have brought to the table, the smart response is not, “Nuh uh, YOU do it”.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

For me, the most shocking admission on that interview was when he came out as a Republican. Talk about a “privileged caste”, especially when coupled with wealth.

It’s going to present an interesting dilemma for the party, given his high profile. I predict a lot of mealy-mouthed equivocation when politicians are asked about him, all while they continue to spout hateful anti-LGBT rhetoric, introduce homophobic legislation, fight gay marriage, and cheerlead discriminatory business practices.

For his part, Jenner’s going to have a tough time reconciling himself to a party that shares his conservative free-market religious values, but views him as a third-class citizen. Or maybe not; maybe all he cares about is wealth preservation, not social issues. You would hope he’d be a little more empathetic to the less fortunate others who are going through the same thing, and not be tempted to say “I got mine, Jack” and pull up the drawbridge after him.

@Misha Do your own research.

No, the burden of proof is on you. You made a vague, unsupported assertion. Back it up with evidence, otherwise it’s just your own asspinion.

Society doesn’t care about men’s pain

Yeah, I doubt Jenner’s life is suddenly going to become all sunshine and bonbons as a woman.

AnAndrejaPejicBlog (@Lindsay_Irene)

I’ve noticed that, all of a sudden, MRAs and GabberGoobers and MGTOWs are using the word empathy a lot. When they have no actual argument (which is… yeah, all the time), they start accusing the “SJW” that they’re arguing with of having no empathy. A little while back, the thing was to accuse people of being angry even if (especially if) they weren’t displaying any anger. Are there meetings or something where they determine what tactic to use next?

bekabot

As a society, we simply don’t give a fuck about men’s pain.

As a society, we don’t give enough of a fuck about men’s pain, but I don’t notice that JudgyJan is doing anything to change that.

opium4themasses

@AnAndrejaPejicBlog Not so oddly enough, yes. Previous posts here outline chat logs of them gathering to pick out the proper language to disguise the fact that gamergate started as a hate campaign against Zoe Quinn.

I am on my phone so it is a bit difficult to link.

McJulie McGalliard (@mcjulie)

You know, “society caring about pain” is a pretty squishy concept. What would it look like if society cared about men’s pain? What kind of pain? I mean, every once in a while we get an MRA type in these comment threads who thinks that society needs to care specifically about the kind of pain some men feel when they can’t get a date.

If that’s the kind of pain they mean, no wonder they think we don’t care. Because we don’t.

However, society also doesn’t care about the kind of pain some women feel when they can’t get a date. The difference seems to be that men EXPECT society to care. I mean, I’ve never heard a woman try to argue seriously that she should be awarded the hot dude of her choice just because she’s feeling a bit lonely.

Pelagic
Pelagic

It’s really annoying how these folks come so close to an actual point but then just go streaking over head on their way to crazy town.

weirwoodtreehugger

4th troll,

As long as we live in a capitalist society, money will always be placed above the well being of people of any gender.

Yet, in the other thread you were going on about how feminists shouldn’t criticize games but should instead let the market dictate the content of games.

So which is it? Do you want a society centered around compassion or money? Or is it, as I suspect, the third, hypocritical and selfish option? You want to be privileged and you want sympathy for yourself and people who look and think like you but you don’t want the same courtesies extended to anyone else? If the market dictates that games be male dominant (setting aside that you haven’t proven it does), than the market is inherently correct. If the market dictates that energy companies skimp on safety for coal miners to benefit the bottom line, suddenly the market is bad and society doesn’t care about men.

Misha

@Pelagic, just a heads up – terms like ‘crazy’ don’t sit well here due to its obvious ableism and out of respect to the lived experience of many commenters on this blog.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

The 4th survivor

Spindrift
“Feminists argue in favor of gender equality, not for matriarchy. Stop assuming everyone’s one of the straw feminists from your imagination. Nobody here wants 1 gender to rule over any other gender.”

What? I thought that was our goal! Use our butts and boobs to conquer the world and build scented Effie candle factories!

Sarah
Sarah

“Society” certainly does care about men’s suffering. Moreso than women’s suffering for sure.

It’s MRA’s that don’t care about men’s pain. They love whining about the tiny bits of privilege that men have lost over the last few decades, but they never cared let alone did anything about real problems that men face because of their gender.

Pelagic
Pelagic

@fruitloopsie

I am strangely okay with that kind of world domination.

@Misha

I have been accused of being thoughtless, it’s not unknown for me. I apologise.

Lea
Lea

I’m astounded.

A) For such a shitty writer JB has an amazing imagination.

B) The media is kind to trans women? Does JB purposefully confuse making shit up with reality or is she genuinely that befuddled?

sunnysombrera

I think her compulsive lying has become such an issue that she now believes her own lies instantaneously.

Lea
Lea

the 4th survivor,

Christ, you’re an asshole.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

Even if women and feminists were an extreme minority in gaming, and even if all men who game do not prefer games that women and feminists want to play, women and feminists are still allowed to criticize games they don’t like and make or ask for games they do like.

It’s a terrible idea to only make things the majority would like. I mean, according to this non-scientific survey, blue is humanity’s favorite color. Should literally everything that has a color be blue because blue is most likely to be a person’s favorite?

Lea
Lea

4th,
When you say that liberals don’t care about “men’s pain” you mean “white, straight, cis, men’s pain” or more accurately, “My pain” or even more accurately “Pay more attention to mmmeeeeeeeee! I’m the most important! Me! Me! Me!”
You know you aren’t on about Islamaphobia, LGBTQ rights, racism, etc because you don’t give a fuck about marginalized and oppressed classes of men.
Guess who does?

creepycupcake
creepycupcake

Transwomen are far from privileged. They face crap from people on a daily basis for being trans. JB lives with her head so far up her ass.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q

Perhaps not. But that’s not what this is about. It’s about giving a voice and representation to all demographics, not picking which one we want to rule over the others. (Sorry spindrift, didn’t mean to steal your words but they were just so good!)

zarathustratheserpent

Anyways, mras are as ignorant as usual lol.

It’s a practiced ignorance.

Spindrift
Spindrift

@Suzy Q “(Sorry spindrift, didn’t mean to steal your words but they were just so good!)”

Awh, shucks! I’m flattered. Steal as many as you like 🙂

Scarlettathena

I just have to comment about “society not caring about men’s pain”. I brought my ball peen hammer to crack this apart because I can actually off the top of my head think of a few instances that society does care/has cared about. And of course by “men’s pain” I mean white-cis-het dudes because as far as society is concerned the rest should conform or disappear.

(1) How many whiny-ass “what about the menz” style articles and books have there been in recent years worrying about how our schools are not working for boys. So many articles say that girls are perfectly adapted to the way schools are run but not boys and this must change. (I don’t want to enter into any debate about what we are doing/should be doing – this is just to illustrate that this is an instance of people caring about men and boy’s suffering.

(2) How many media reports of rape cases hand-wring about the future of the boys who raped all the while assuming the girl deserved it because she’s just gotta be a slutty slut flaunting her sluttiness? That Steubenville case was one where several journalists fretted over those boys futures.

(3) I know MRA and conservatives don’t care for this but it is still an example of society caring for men’s pain. There is a movement afoot to make American football safer because so many men suffer concussions and other disabling injuries. The movement wants to improve equipment and have guys avoid doing tough tackles in practice and basically just be safer.
Yeah, it makes the sport less manly-manly-man for these guys, but guess what, this is still about caring about men’s suffering.

(4) Back in the ’00s when the US was getting into all those wars, there were several liberal celebs who took up the cause of getting them better gear: better helmets and Kevlar and junk like that. Again, MRA types probably think war is a lot like 300/Trojan war and Achilles running around bare-chested waving a sword and they think that having bullet-proof helmets and vests is for pussies, but people who are pushing this shit care about men’s pain.

By the way, who provided Achilles with his super-resistence? Why it was a woman, his mom, who wanted to keep him safe.

These are just ideas that came to me, but I agree with someone upthread who says “society caring about pain” is a squishy topic which can be filled with whatever you want and probably means caring about their boners. And just fuck that noise.

Georgina Hale
Georgina Hale

Something that’s puzzled me for a long time: much of the MRA rhetoric has a strong overtone of envy. They see women as a privileged class and they seem to envy those apparent privileges.

I myself am a trans woman currently in transition, and years and decades ago, when I was miles deep in denial and still trying to see myself as a man, I had the same envy and – had the internet been widely available then – I might well have expressed it in the same way.

It’s very disturbing to find these people saying the same sort of thing I thought 25, 30 years ago when I was really fked up.

What is it that I then, and they now, have in common??

(When I’ve posted here before, I’ve encountered a certain amount of suspicion that I might be a troll. It really isn’t necessary, I am 100% on board with the mammoth mission, and I even like cats)

apeculiarpersonage
apeculiarpersonage

A mostly-lurker here, with a quick question about pronouns. In this case, where there seems to be some confusion over Jenner’s pronouns, would it be appropriate to use they/them pronouns? I really hope I’m not inadvertently offending anyone with the question, I’m just curious.

Scarlettathena

Oh, and, I may just be an ignorant ciswoman, but I really don’t think this is how trans works.

I know there are several transpeople that post on this thread, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Just like I’ve always “felt” like a woman – whatever concept I’m trying to get at by saying that – and I’ve never looked at the Fortune 500 list and thought “wow, look at all those dudes with their billions of dollars. I wish I had that, Imma get me a penis so I can be like them” I don’t think any dude looked at Anaconda and thought “Look at Minaj getting all that attention, I think I’ll take a bunch of hormones.”

A few minutes on the Googletron should suffice to show that there is quite a bit of research on why people are trans, and it turns out there are totally physiological explanations that have nothing to do with just wishing you were like someone else.

Robert
Robert

Scarlettathena – nicely put. People who display fulminating hatred towards trans* people seem to have grossly distorted ideas about who they’re hating and why.

Not that it would be any better if their ideas were more accurate; I don’t believe there’s ever a good reason for hating people who have done you no harm.

Spindrift
Spindrift

@Scarlettathena

“Imma get me a penis so I can be like them” might make for a good song though.

Come to think of it, Janet’s whole article is self-refuting. She never had anything bad to say about Jenner when he presented as a man, but as soon as he starts presenting as a woman, she trash-talks him.

lith
lith

4th:

You’re spot on. Women would indeed be no different because they’re people – just like men – with the same failings, and the same positive aspects. So why is there this disparity in numbers in positions of power? Which is the point feminism is trying to address (among other things).

Nequam
Nequam

@Spindrift

(Audio may be NSFW depending on your coworkers/boss.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ scarletathena

I can’t be the only person who thought your post was going in a totally different direction. 🙂

Oh, and if any of you do want to care about the pain of a straight white bloke; I caught myself on some brambles today running away from cows.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ apeculiarpersonage

He’s said that until he totally transitions he’d prefer male pronouns.