bunnies MRA reddit

Signal Boost: Important Men’s Rights Activism Opportunity (involves firemen)

Please help.
Activism opportunity!

I found this on the Men’s Rights subreddit today. PLEASE HELP!

In a lucky coincidence I am also looking for some pictures:

• A librarian with an Animal Rights sign
  • An EMT with a “No Blood for Oil” sign
  • A cloak room attendant with a “Make Love Not War” sign
  • An orthodontist with an “I Like Ike” sign
  • A bunny pushing a tiny shopping cart full of carrots

Oh wait, I already have that last one. Never mind.

bunnycarrots

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

You are aware that there is a woman on this thread who is currently training to run into burning buildings, but women as a whole “just aren’t interested.”

Like, ok.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Fun fact for all of you. 95% of firefighters are men. That means when someone’s house is on fire it’s nearly always a team full of men who risk their lives to put the fire out and save anyone inside. They get no thanks from feminists of course.

I had no idea what you could be talking about — after all, what reason is there to think that feminists are any less grateful to firefighters than any other group of people — until it occurred to me that perhaps you mean feminists don’t thank men in general for being of the same gender as most firefighters. In which case, yeah, sorry, I’m not going to thank you for things that other people have done. Misandry!

Spindrift
Spindrift

Male burden? Are men being made the become firefighters against their will or something?

Naomi Harvey

My father was a firefighter. It kinda ruins the whole vibe.

He would definitely never have been involved in anything remotely MRA-esque, either.

Naomi Harvey
Reply to  Amanda

Or one of those guns that pops out a flag when you shoot it?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I would like to extend a special thank you to this noble fighter of fires.

Drezden
Drezden

Ooh, are we doing the whole “useless statistics put forth in service of an agenda without the slightest nod to context” thing? Let me try:

Roughly 85-89% of arsonist are male, so…

I don’t really care.

Many thanks to all the firefighters out there. And the bunnies. And especially the firefighting bunnies.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

One of my neighbors is a firefighter. I made cookies at Christmas and gave him a batch on a festive aluminum foil tray. Does that count as appreciative enough, or did I have to announce “As a feminist, I present these sugar stars, gingerbread squirrels, and Wookie cookies as tribute”? ‘Cause I think that would have weirded him out more than the “Happy holidays, and thanks for everything you do” that I did say.

the 4th survivor
the 4th survivor

@Chronic

I said 95% of firefighters are men. You know that means the other 5% have to be women right? I never said all women don’t want to be firefighters.

@Viscaria

I think that because feminists are always going on about how horrible men are but never acknowledge that most of the modern privileges they have in life that they take for granted (their house, running water, electricity, rescue services, etc.) are overwhelmingly provided for them by men.

@Spindrift

In a way yes. Individual men aren’t forced to be firefighters just like we’re not forced to be coal miners, construction workers, scientists, etc. but as a whole we are forced to do it because women aren’t signing up in large numbers to do the job.

dhag85

In what fucking universe do feminists hate firefighters? What the hell is going on here?

isidore13
isidore13

@4th: so what do you think the reason is that women aren’t signing up for these jobs?

the 4th survivor
the 4th survivor

@isodore: Because they’re not interested and again I don’t have a problem with that but it’s like I told Viscaria, my problem is with feminists who sit there whining about male privilege and refuse to acknowledge the privileges they have thanks to the work men do.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I think that because feminists are always going on about how horrible men are but never acknowledge that most of the modern privileges they have in life that they take for granted (their house, running water, electricity, rescue services, etc.) are overwhelmingly <provided for them by men.

I don’t actually accept much of anything you’ve said here, but even if any of it were true, I’m still not getting why that means I should thank you, who are not, as far as I can tell, a firefighter, for the work of actual firefighters.

I am fascinated to learn that the true victims of the hostile environment for women in the sciences is in fact the gatekeeping male scientists themselves, as they would all have rather been painters, but were forced into their dangerous profession by the vacuum created by a lack of women.

chroniclurker
chroniclurker

“I think women just aren’t interested [in being firefighters]” suddenly becomes “I never said all women don’t want to be firefighters.”

Can you make up your mind?

isidore13
isidore13

Why do you think women aren’t interested in these jobs?

Viscaria
Viscaria

How is it that women can simply choose not to pursue certain careers because of a lack of interest, but men apparently can’t make that same choice? Is this part of the “all women are wealthy, all men are working class” myth?

brooked
brooked

Ah, good old Town Hall, where you can read the work of every dreary syndicated conservative columnist in existence, including such talents as Dave “When You Cant Afford Rush” Limbaugh, Nazi enthusiast Pat Buchanan and Phylis Schlafly’s reanimated corpse. Good stuff.

Like most typical MRAs, 4th Survivor always keeps abreast of current events, which is why he’s sharing a not ripped from today’s headlines column from November 2013. If you’d like to read something about that story that isn’t a poorly written recap of NY Post articles and instead involves actual research, here you go:

I enjoyed this exchange.

childrenofthebroccoli

Not to mention the fact that women have been trying to get into firefighting for ages, but are being discouraged by sexist attitudes and policies, but why let facts get in the way of a good argument?

the 4th survivor

That sounds like an excuse to me. I think women just aren’t interested. Which I have no problem with by the way. I just get sick of hearing feminists moan about male privilege when they apparently have no problem with male burden.

Rough Translation: “I don’t know a single fucking thing about the history female firefighters and have no interest in researching it because I don’t care about the subject at all. My ignorance and disinterest doesn’t stop me discussing it because it seems like an easy opportunity to pretend battle imaginary feminists with my vigorous stawmanning.”

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

The 4th troll: “I deserve to reap limitless appreciation and gratitude because I share a single trait (a penis) with most firefighters, who in general are great people, but I am not in any way deserving of condemnation because I share a single trait (a penis) with most arsonists, who in general are kind of terrible people.”

It’s like trolly thinks he has a selective membrane around him that allows him to absorb greatness from other men by osmosis, but all the disgusting crap that other men do is stopped at the membrane.

Howard Bannister

As a firefighter–

Fuck off, 4th.

No, really, FUCK OFF.

When you blather on like that you add to an environment that makes it much less likely women who would do well in firefighting will pursue it. It’s voices like yours that drive them away.

Also, are you suggesting that as a feminist I don’t properly appreciate my own volunteer efforts at firefighting?

Show your math.

freemage

4th Dipshit: Do read the rebuttal article to the one you posted. Two noteworthy elements:

1: Leaking an employee’s medical information is actually illegal. Someone in the chain of command would’ve had to be responsible for that.

2: The test itself is arbitrary, unrelated to the work being performed, and biased towards men. Firefighters do not have to run a mile and a half during their duties; instead, what matters is their ability to perform a number of detailed and dangerous tasks in coordination with their teammates. Including a sprint through an obstacle course is a filter deliberately added to favor a subset of the applicants.

In short, dipshit, yes, the article you linked is, indeed, an example of that sexism in action.

contrapangloss

Chronic Lurker, you’re fine! I’m starting my Temp position on the box-bulance Monday and then doing all of the testing Wednesday Friday and Saturday next week.

Also, Chief is going to introduce me to a potential new lady-live-in for out here on Thursday (at my last Fire Drill as a scene support firefighter as opposed to Fiirefighter-1, hopefully)!

The 4th Troll is good at looking at a single statistic and attempting to milk it for all its worth. I’ll give them that!

Fun thing he fails to consider: His stat is almost certainly a strictly career firefighter number. Finding good data on volunteer firefighter numbers and gender ratios is a bit harder. Where you and I are at, there’s a much higher percentage of women on the volunteer side than on the career side. Men still outnumber women, by quite a bit, but it’s much less extreme.

Also, I’ve said this before, the actual call volume and number of calls responded to has an even closer split between men and women! It’s a much, much, much harder statistic to track because not all volunteer departments make their annual reports include gender ratios of volunteers and gender breakdown of response numbers.

There are also a few reasons women don’t get into firefighting as much, some involving bad admin, and some involving this pesky thing called lack of privacy.

For example, I’m a live in at the station I live in because there are actually bedrooms and bathrooms. I can’t be a live in at the station closest to the university because it only has a single bunkroom and a single bathroom and there are already three guys living there.

The department doesn’t want to have a woman live and sleep in the same room as three guys. Go figure. There are still women who volunteer out of that station, but no women as live ins.

Falconer

That bunny better lock his carrots up tightly.

mildlymagnificent

My daughter’s a nurse in a children’s hospital. But at least once a year she and a lot of other nurses, especially those from the burns unit, go out into the city’s streets and carry a sign, not an MRA special, but a Shake The Boot sign and collect money for hospital facilities for kids with burns injuries. (For those who don’t know, kids with burn injuries have to back to hospital again and again for years for various surgeries and therapies – of which you do n.o.t. want to know the details.)

And then, of course, there are the women who volunteer to fight bushfires, mostly alongside the men volunteers, often as captain of the firefighting crew.

I have also tutored women trying to get through the extremely demanding professional firefighter’s course here. They start out with 1000+ applicants for 20ish jobs. They prune down the list until they have about 80 to start the 20 week course. Every week at least 2 of the lowest scoring candidates are excluded until the last part when they start actively selecting in favour of the best of the best. (One woman was never going to make it in her wildest dreams. One prime requirement is mental arithmetic – being able to calculate travel times and ETAs en route to an incident among other things like water volumes and the like. She was beyond hopeless. She should have come for tuition for a few months before applications opened and then she might have had some chance. The other I don’t recall the details – but both of them did far better than the men in their groups when it came to handling those huge ladder trucks. They got their super duper class big truck Driver’s Licenses at first try.)

Machine Gun Sally
Machine Gun Sally

I am a geologist (a woman working in science and in mines! Fancy that!) And I am familiar with the whole sexist living arrangement thing. In exploration camps we have large tents that can usually sleep up to 4 people, but for comfort they would often only have 2 or 3. I have had so many camp managers and exploration managers flat out REFUSE to have more than one women’s tent (or rarely not have one at all).

So they would not hire women because that would mean they would have to spill over into a second tent and disrupt the cushy two-to-a-tent living arrangements of the men. Meanwhile, we were packed in at 4 to that one tent.

magnesium
magnesium

Oh god, the 4th survivor, another white collar kid who thinks blue collar jobs in the western world are still some sort of Dickensian nightmare staffed entirely by strapping young lads. You are adorable. And wrong.

Women have fought long and hard to be able to work in firefighting, sanitation, mining, factories, etc. You know why? Because these jobs pay well, usually have union support, and require little to no education. In fact, it has often been women who have helped improve those jobs for men. I worked in a factory in college and people called it “winning the lottery”.

And, unlike you, I am basing my knowledge on actual facts, rather than the just so stories I tell myself so I can sleep at night thinking I’m better than women. Have a read:

I’m going to guess you won’t listen to any of this, though. Ultimately, all that matters to you is believing what you believe regardless of reality. Side note, even if everything ever in the entire universe was invented and run by men, that’s still no reason anyone owes you any praise just because you also happen to be a man. Real life doesn’t work that way, kiddo.

weirwoodtreehugger

Sometimes I set a fire in my apartment just so that firefighters will come put it out and then I can not thank them. I’ve had to replace a lot of my belongings because of the smoke damage, but it’s worth it because of the joy I get from being ungrateful to firefighters. It’s just how feminists roll. It’s okay, my CIA stipend more than covers the cost.

I’m also thrilled to learn that if you share a gender with someone, you deserve credit for their accomplishments. I’m not a nurse, but nursing is predominantly female so I expect 4th survivor to thank me for being an excellent health care provider. I’m not a mother, but mothers are women. Mother’s day is coming up and I expect 4th survivor is planning on getting me a nice gift and taking me to lunch. Right?

chroniclurker
chroniclurker

@contrapangloss

Congrats! 😀 Best of luck at your new temp position!

And thanks for the posting the 10 hour loop of Diggy Diggy Hole on the other thread. It ended up getting me through an all nighter and a 12 page paper! 🙂

Spindrift
Spindrift

I’m surprised I’ve not seen an MRA meme where a sad firefighter looks on as a feminist burns her bra, powerless to stop her cause she has “female privilege”.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Men who don’t at all benefit from these things, and who don’t at all benefit from the childcare, food prep, housework, nursing, teaching, etc. “overwhelmingly provided” (to use your phrase) by women.

Do you actually think Thomas Edison went into his lab every morning and said “I think I’ll invent something to benefit the ladyfolk”? Do you think women lie around all day and just passively accept the trinkets men bring to them, and don’t contribute anything in exchange? Because it sure sounds like that’s what you’re saying.

Why is it that so often, misogyny goes hand in hand with a complete inability to recognize that people do these things unselfishly for the larger benefit of the community, not because they’re trying to get into somebody’s pants?

For the record, I actually did have firefighters at my house last week (my son needed medical attention after reacting badly to a daycare bake sale cookie). I thanked them for being quick, helpful, and reassuring. Last time I checked, these traits weren’t exclusive to men.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

An all-woman squad of Iranian firefighters.

Your arguement is invalid.

They also fix their own cars.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants, is your son better today?

Falconer

@Buttercup:

Oh my god, that must have been so scary.

sparky
sparky

Firefighters, some of whom are women, doing what they do best – saving lives, for 4th survivor.

Falconer

@Banana Jackie Cake, my brain threw a cog over the Iranian women firefighters until I remembered that it’s Saudi Arabia where the women are so much in charge they made the men refuse to give them driver’s licenses so that men would be forced to chauffeur them around.

I seriously sat there for a second and a half thinking, but women aren’t allowed to drive in Iran! and now I feel like an idiot.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

@Falconer

It’s okay. Apparently people there think a man drives the firetruck.

Nope.

Nitram

4th douche:

When the element in my stove caught on fire, my silly ladybrain couldn’t figure out how to extinguish it. I called the fire department (all volunteer because I live in the boonies) and 3 women showed up first, followed by the whole damn town, cause that’s how we roll. She unplugged the stove, and voila! Now, since we share the same gender, do I take credit for her fire dept skills or should she share in the shame of my silly ladybrain-fart?

I am very grateful to anyone who puts out fires, regardless of gender. Yes there are more men. There are female dominated positions and male dominated positions. You don’t bow down to the gender that fills those positions, you now down to the actual men and women who fill them.

I am grateful for modern conveniences and the people who invented them (I’m not gonna even touch the claim that men did it all), I am not going to thank all men for sharing the same gender as said inventors. Fucking ridiculous.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Viscaria and Falconer – He’s much better now, thanks! He has severe peanut and tree nut allergies, the poor little guy. Thursday evening, he accidentally had a bite of cookie that had cashew butter in it, which caused him to go into anaphylaxis. His breathing was never seriously impacted, thank God, but it took 3 Epi-pens, several rounds of Benadryl, and an overnight stay in the pediatric ICU to get him stabilized. He was pretty miserable for those first few hours, but by the next morning he was back to normal.

His twin brother thoroughly enjoyed the ambulance ride and unlimited popsicles.

Oh, by the way, one of the EMTs was a woman. So were two of the ER doctors, and all of the attending nurses.

Since we’re keeping score, my son’s medical record officially credits women with 62% and men with 38% of the contribution for his successful treatment. Insurance has been billed accordingly. Each gender can expect to be reimbursed within 4 – 6 weeks.

…What are Wookiee cookies, and how do I make them?

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Hmmm… so if you’re a woman in working in a majority-male field, where do you fall on this gratitude continuum? When I was active duty, was I a stand-up gal for wanting to be a soldier so that a man wasn’t forced into it by mysterious circumstance? Was I exempt from general feminine guilt for the term of my enlistement? Or did I owe the male soldiers in my various companies praise and admiration for soldiering as well as providing all of the world’s bounty because: men? When kind civilian men said “thank you for your service” to me, should I have replied “thank you for civilization!”?

And if I did stiff people on gratitude for all that time, how on earth am I going to find the time to write all those belated thank you notes? And the addresses so that I can send them to people I haven’t seen in eleven years and who probably don’t remember or care about me? Should I send fruit baskets as well? Nothing says contrition and gratitude like a dragonfruit.

So many questions.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@katz – Wookie cookies!

They’re chocolate chip cookies with added cinnamon and a 50/50 mix of semisweet and milk chocolate chips (you can also sub white for the milk chips with great results). Sadly not as exciting as the name suggests, but still tasty. They’re a staple for my holiday cookie plate because my best friend loves them.

Shaenon

Googling “father’s rights firefighter,” this is the first link that comes up:

Howard Bannister

@Shaenon

I don’t even have to CLICK the link to get tears in my eyes. What sorcery is this?

mayimoktoo
mayimoktoo

Falconer, I’m trying to decide if that’s the best Vime or the best Vime ever!

Shaenon

Also, here’s the first woman featured in the NYFD firefighters’ calendar: http://feministing.com/2014/07/18/friday-feminist-fuck-yeah-the-first-female-firefighter-featured-in-fdny-calendar/

Paradoxical Intention

Buttercup Q. Skullpants | April 21, 2015 at 11:18 am

Tesla might have.

The struggle of the human female toward sex equality will end up in a new sex order, with the females superior. The modern woman, who anticipates in merely superficial phenomenon the advancement of her sex, is but a surface symptom of something deeper and more potent fomenting in the bosom of the race.

It is not in the shallow physical imitation of the men that women will assert first their equality and later their superiority, but in the awakening of the intellect of women.

But the female mind has demonstrated a capacity for all the mental acquirements and achievements of men, and as generations ensue that capacity will be expanded; the average woman will be as well educated as the average man, and then better educated, for the dormant faculties of her brain will be into an activity that will be all the more intense because of centuries of repose.

Women will ignore precedent and startle civilization with their progress.

And of course Roosh managed to twist this. OF COURSE HE DID.

mildlymagnificent

OK. I now expect everyone I meet to thank me for their Bluetooth and WiFi equipment.

I’m a woman. Hedy Lamarr was a woman. Sounds fair.

(And I also want gifts of fruitbaskets and complex jigsaw puzzles. I like both but the puzzles last longer.)

weirwoodtreehugger

I’d also like credit for science fiction. Because Mary Shelley.

Paradoxical Intention

I want credit for computer programming. Because Ada Lovelace.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

I want credit for Rosalind Franklin’s achievement in DNA modeling and crap!