#gamergate a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women creepy empathy deficit entitled babies honey badgers hypocrisy irony alert misogyny MRA rape culture rape jokes

Rape-joke-loving Honey Badgers booted from #CalgaryExpo; highly ironic Tweets ensue

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not actually what happened.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s not why you got booted.

Earlier today, the illustrious Honey Badger Brigade was booted from the Calgary Expo, a major Canadian fan convention devoted to all varieties of geeky pop culture.

The Honey Badgers — a mostly female A Voice for Men spinoff group known for its unlistenable internet “radio” shows — was sent packing after conventioneers complained about their connections to #GamerGate — a nine-month-long orgy of harassment targeting outspoken women in gaming and their supporters — and their alleged disruption of a panel devoted to women in comics.

According to Calgary Expo officials, the group was kicked out for “actively disregarding” the Expo’s efforts to provide “a positive and safe event” for attendees.

The Honey Badgers love to claim that they “don’t give a fuck,” but apparently their fans give quite a few, and AVFMers and #GamerGaters are rallying to their defense on Twitter. Which has led to some, well, pretty ironic Twitter exchanges, like this one below between this, er, intriguingly named #GamerGater and the official Calgary Expo account.

masculinerapefingers

PRO TIP: If you’re trying to convince the world that the Honey Badgers didn’t deserve to be kicked out of the convention for contributing to an unsafe space for women, you should probably not do so while referencing “MasculineRapeFingers” in your Twitter handle.

Or include rape jokes/threats in your actual Tweets:

Of course, it’s no wonder the Honey Badgers have attracted fans like these, given how fond they are of rape jokes themselves. Their now-disassembled booth at the Expo featured a poster of #GamerGate mascot Vivian James — a character designed to reference a channer rape joke — hiding behind the Honey Badger mask.

And before Vivian James was even a thing, the Badgers sold t-shirts and other merchandise featuring a cartoon octopus they describe as “the world’s cutest rape joke.” No, really, here he is:

Screenshot
Screenshot from Honey Badger Brigade store

To see the full array of Mr. Tentacles merchandise available, visit their CafePress store. (Archived version here.)

I’m no lawyer, but it seems to me that this in itself would be enough to get the Honey Badgers booted from the Calgary Expo. A group that literally sells rape joke t-shirts and coffee mugs to raise money for itself is a group that doesn’t belong at a convention that’s trying to be “positive and safe” for its attendees.

Add to this their connection to #GamerGate — a hate movement — and A Voice for Men — a hate group — and it’s pretty clear that Calgary Expo officials had more than enough justification for their decision to send the Honey Badgers on their way.

EDIT: The woman behind the MasculineRapeFingers account insists “[m]y twitter handle isn’t a joke. I’m a female who enjoys rape fantasies.” I’m not sure why that makes the Twitter handle any more appropriate, but I’ve reworded the post accordingly.

charleswheeler
charleswheeler

Heads up, missing inverted commas after the “don’t give a fuck” quote in the 4th paragraph.

rennydiokno2015

Reblogged this on My Bloggerdiok.

GarrisonFlies
GarrisonFlies

I feel like the “world’s cutest rape joke” is from the disgusting consistent joke in anime about school girls and tentacles. I suppose, in that sense, it fits in geek culture, since anime sort of falls into that category?

Cthulhu's Intern

Wow. They have truly outdone themselves. Do you know how hard it is to get kicked out of a convention before it even starts?

Also, OT, but remember that guy from Reed College who would always be talking about rape? Well, he just got arrested on sex abuse and harassment charges. http://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/former-reed-college-student-arrested-sex-abuse-charges#.vqPg618Lg I know, I’m shocked too.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

@Cthulhu’s Intern

HA. HA. HA.

Kloe Jemmer (@JoeKlemmer)

Can’t wait to see the reaction on the KiA subreddit on this.

(That was, OC, sarcasm. I most definitely can wait)

RC
RC

I really wish there were some hard, first-hand examples of what they were doing to get kicked (besides the dumb T-shirts. They were a bit tasteless to be sure, but I don’t think they are necessarily kick-worthy). Until some show up, it’s way to easy for certain kinds of people to claim “persecution” and whatnot, from what I’ve seen. They tend to get real quiet real quick when confronted with their actual words and actions.

I really wish that the people who actually care about ethics, games journalism, consumerism and what-not would just, decouple themselves from Gamersgate. There are actually a decent number of folk, in my experience, for whom those topics are super important, and have also managed to convince themselves that the sexism and harassment really is “just a few bad apples” and “not what the movement was founded on,” and such. Because, that sort of stuff *is* super important, and super relevant to gaming. There are shady things that happen, and some pretty anti-consumer practices that are carried out, but Gamergate has made it all but impossible to actually bring up that stuff without getting lumped into one group or the other and immediately hated on.

Just really wish we could actually get a consumerist gamer movement… and let the crazy-folk have their little gamergate thing off to the side where it’s wholly irrelevant.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

@RC

The first link states that they were disrupting a panels.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

By this point, I think people who actually care about ethics, games journalism and consumerism *have* left Gamergate.

I’d give any of them who claim “actually it’s about ethics in games journalism” a really, really hard look if I were you, and I think you’d find that it, in fact, isn’t.

Noadi

The Mary Sue has some more info. Apparently they also disrupted at least one panel and may have gotten their booth under false pretenses (saying it as for a member’s webcomic).

Noadi

Oops, somehow I missed that David included that link in his post.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Wait, #GamerGate is still going? Are they still trying to convince people outside 8Chan that their “movement” is about “ethicks in vidya garme geurnalism” or whatever, and not just a collection of shitty people harassing women? Do they still think they’re “winning” against “the eeeeevil SJWs”? Are they still trying to pretend they’re relevant?

#GoodGrief.

because reasons
because reasons

I don’t get the Mr. Tentacles thing at all but something tells me I don’t want to.

I am so glad people are finally starting to stand up to this kind of crap. Good for the Expo peeps!

Cthulhu's Intern

Sure. Thanks.

reymohammed
reymohammed

The honey badger is basically the Eastern Hemisphere counterpart of the skunk.

magnesium
magnesium

“[m]y twitter handle isn’t a joke. I’m a female who enjoys rape fantasies.”

I definitely believe this. Women are always calling themselves females and obsessively share their fetishes in such a way that makes other people uncomfortable.

because reasons
because reasons

David, I just came across this article on a guy named Sargon of Akkad and Thunderfoot- GamerGoobers who make youtube videos for profit, usually speaking out against the evils of feminism. Thought you might be interested, if you didn’t already know. Sadly, I heard of these guys because my bf follows them on twitter and youtube and because my misogynist radar started going off on crazy, I decided to look into them further. So upset he’s looking at and listening to this kind of hate mongering!!

Tracy
Tracy

From the HB’s crowdfunding campaign:

Yep, in today’s political climate that’s considered an extremist position. Just letting creative communities create; consumers consume what they want; and gamers get down to the business of vidya without being judged.

Is it possible to die from irony exposure? Because I think that might be happening to me.

Letting creative communities create (unless they create stuff we don’t like or that we assume has an AGENDA); consumers consume what they want (as long as they don’t ask for things we don’t like bc AGENDA SJW OMG); and gamers get down to the business of vidya without being judged (just quit complaining about sexism or racism or other isms AGENDA!!!1eleventy and PLAY without THINKING about it JEEZ)

They went to the con under false pretenses, with an agenda. At this point, the shenanigans are getting predictable and boring. Le sigh.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

“Proceeds from the profit of these products goes towards making the world less safe for professional whinemeisters.”

I dread to think what “making the world less safe” means… Even if they just mean they’re going to put out more radio episodes, or be obnoxious at conventions, the statement really sounds like a threat.

Also, they apparently interrupted a panel to talk about body diversity amongst male comic-book characters, but they got into the Expo through Tieman’s comic, which seems to predominently feature ripped dudes and skinny women.

Oh and apparently

“We plan to infiltrate nerd culture cunningly disguised as their own.”

Hmmm, like those mythical “fake” geek girls that every territorial nerd likes to complain is ruining the culture?

They won’t use this episode to think and realise that the Expo organisers’ decision actually reflects the majority opinion towards anti-progressives as a whole. They won’t twig that they’re not welcome, and that most people don’t want or need their “activism”. They’ll throw a big tantrum and claim they’re being victimised instead. Rather hypocritically.

because reasons
because reasons

I am so sorry for using the c-word in my last post, guys! I’ll be more careful in the future.

Just curious if this Sargon of Akkad douche was on the radar before? He seems like a pretty big player in the “let’s keep GG alive, dudebros” world. I browsed through his twitter page (I don’t use twitter myself) and it’s FULL of misogyny and eeeevil SJW talk. Blah.

189
189

They “bullied” the women out, in the link one even said they were brutalizing women…

And they accuse others of claiming victim hood? Laugh my fucking arse off

Paradoxical Intention

I’m with Tracy: My Irony Radar® is going off loud and clear.

Yep, in today’s political climate that’s considered an extremist position.

Sure, wanting to let people make and play their games how they want is all well and good (and this is a point which feminists can agree with you on!), but let’s face it: it’s not an extremist position. It’s neutral.

The position you currently occupy, Badgers, actually is extremist (when you want to admit that you just don’t want what you’re about to say you want).

Just letting creative communities create;

And yet they’re harassing Zoe Quinn and Brianna Wu, who make games for a living that just so happen to have stuff feminists and “Ess-Jay-Dubbas” like in them.

What happened to just letting creative communities create what they want without anyone pushing their “agendas” into it? Oh, wait, I forgot. It’s totes okay when Goobers do it.

consumers consume what they want;

Unless we want games with more legitimate female/trans/queer/people of color in them, or we want communities that are safer for gamers who fall under these groups to participate in, or we want people to stop being harassed.

and gamers get down to the business of vidya without being judged.

Then why are you being Judgy McJudgerson about me wanting to play more varieties of games? Why are you peeps hating on what I would want in/to play in a game?

Oh, I know. You just want more of the games you like, and fuck everyone else who may not like them or would want something different.

Though, funny thing: I don’t recall anyone saying that you still couldn’t have your Law-breaking simulators or BattleCallofWarDuty 6’s. We would just like more games that are for more people than the stereotypical gamer dudebro (White, cishet, twenties to thirties, middle to upper class).

You’ll still get your games, and they’ll be considered art! But, they’d (still) be critiqued as art, and thus, you’ll have to hear people say mean things about the games you like that you may not agree with.

Poor thing. [/eyeroll]

Myriad
Myriad

@Paradoxical intention-Word! I also love how they assume the status quo is not rife with an agenda. Eyes rolling along with you.

To no one in particular.

We plan to infiltrate nerd culture cunningly disguised as their own. Each of us has been carefully crafting a persona of nerdiness through decades of dedication to comics, science fiction, fantasy, comedy games and other geekery, waiting for this moment, our moment to slip among the unaware.

If one had dedicated decades to all the above related geekery, then why the need to craft a persona and infiltrate said communities? They don’t even pay attention to what they say themselves. Ah but it is us ladies who are the fakers.

magnesium
magnesium

Oh for fuck’s sakes. As someone who was a professional game artist for many years, this is disgusting bullshit. No professional artist worth his/her salt is the giant, oversensitive baby that GamerGate and the Honey Badgers insist we are. We can handle social critiques of our work. If we couldn’t handle criticism, we wouldn’t be professional creators. We’re not your shield, GamerGate, stop white knighting and using us, without our permission, as an excuse to attack people.

Bina
Bina

Oh, pro-rape women (a.k.a. “Honey Badgers”), you’re so ironic and hip and funny. NOT.

And I honestly wonder if you’d still be giggling like idiots if ever a real-life “Mr. Tentacles” sprung a little “surprise sex” on YOU.

And you’re so oppressed for being kicked out of a convention billing itself as woman-friendly and safe when all you came there to do was sell oppression in the form of an unfunny “joke”. NOT.

Paradoxical Intention

Ah, but see magnesium, they don’t care about YOU because you have an agenda (By which they mean you don’t swallow their bullshit wholesale)! They care about the game artists and developers who make the games THEY like and who agree with them.

magnesium
magnesium

This, by the way, is why I don’t think anyone who’s in GamerGate should bother trying to get into the games industry. If you’re so upset that someone criticized video games you just happen to like that you joined a fucking movement about it, you’re never going to have the intestinal fortitude to spend years of your life making a video game and releasing it to the public.

What are GGers gonna do when their boss tells them that their design looks bad, go do it over? That they changed their minds and had a different artist do the design? That there’s bugs in their code? That the code they worked 30 hours of overtime implementing is getting cut? Throw a GamerGate style tantrum? Good luck with that.

AllisonW
AllisonW

because reasons: someone might be due for a boyfriend change.

magnesium
magnesium

Lol, so true.

because reasons
because reasons

@AllisonW
Time will tell. I think he’s like a lot of men who don’t hear the feminist side of things and weren’t raised with that point of view, so they eat up all this sexist BS and think that’s just how it is. They aren’t resourceful enough (maybe there’s a better word for it) to SEEK the truth or to even know that what they’re being spoonfed IS bullshit. I try to make him aware when I can and point out that this kind of crap is bad for men AND women…and why. He’s not a bad guy and I love him for many many reasons…so no, it’s not time to dump him just for this.

Fabe
Fabe

I’ll be at the Calgary expo tomorrow. Seeing these guys there would have been a unpleasant surprise ,glad they got the boot.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Magnesium, I’m happy to hear that – it’s the right kind of attitude for a creative person to have.

It’s been rather disheartening these days for me, as someone who like comics: many prominent artists in comics are crying about being “crucified” because…they have to deal with criticism involving race and gender. They self-victimize and act like people are trying to stop them, even though no one is stopping them – they just take anything less-than-congratulatory as some kind of personalized insult.

The Mary Sue recently did an article about Frank Cho’s Milo Manara-esque sketch covers which, yeah, one can argue isn’t exactly the best battle to choose (they were done for shits and giggles and won’t be published) – but the article is easily one of the most tame criticisms on Cho’s work you can find. The author even clarifies he is a fan of his work and just took issue with the sketch covers.

Of course, you’d think those artists and their sycophants wouldn’t have reason to complain over something so considerately stated – but they do. Other than the fact they were hostile to anyone making a negative comment at all, they were singularly obsessed over comments made in reaction to the article and just conflated the two…as if that makes any sense.

It makes me wonder the same thing, over and over again: do these people realize they’re working in an entertainment medium? They should’ve already learned that criticism and feedback, both constructive and non-constructive, comes with the territory. It’s about acknowledging what is helpful and ignoring what is not.

People in televisions, movies, stage productions, literature, etc. all know this and have to deal with it accordingly. A lot of these comicbook artists – probably forgetting their own beginnings as amateurs – think they are above all reproach.

Sarah
Sarah

If these people were really interested in fighting censorship they might participate in something like Banned Books Week (http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/) instead of disrupting and sealioning someone’s event like that. I mean, a feminist panel is proceeding from the premise that feminism is a good cause. Its merits aren’t up for debate at that point, because it’s not a Feminism 101 discussion.

Actually, they are throwing a tantrum all over twitter, although some of the goobergaters seem to have enough self-awareness to know how stupid the OMG MISOGYNY line sounds. They are trying to direct the narrative to say that the Calgary Expo folks are bigots, but not misogynists. It’s fascinating to watch.

Noadi

The thin skins on some current professional comic book artists is pissing me off. I’m a professional artist, people dislike my work ALL THE TIME and tell me so. I learned a long time ago to take criticism in stride. I actively seek it out because as critical of my own work as I am if I don’t get outside critique there are things I will miss. I wonder if maybe these artists have been too insulated from criticism by working in an industry that has to produce content on deadlines that they’ve forgotten that it’s a big part of art. If you can’t take it then you have no business creating for a living because you can’t improve and adapt. Whether it’s about diversity, sexism, or nuts and bolts stuff like perspective and anatomy.

Bina
Bina

“[m]y twitter handle isn’t a joke. I’m a female who enjoys rape fantasies.”

Translation: “I’m a male who enjoys rape fantasies because duh, I’m the PERPETRATOR!”

Shaenon

Oh, there’s nothing better than when they trot their theories about how creative industries should work in front of an actual creator and get the eyeroll. GGers and Puppies were in the comments on George R.R. Martin’s blog, telling him he should be on their side because A Song of Ice and Fire has been criticized by feminists and wasn’t that the worst thing that ever happened to him and basically the Holocaust? Martin responded that he was a big boy and could handle someone not liking a book he wrote. They were baffled by this.

I don’t know how they function in the world.

Shaenon

Also: feeeeeeeemaaaaaaaaales

Bina
Bina

Good lord, is there anything they can’t bore us to tears for an hour and a half about???

KSRay
KSRay

Getting a booth under false pretenses so as to “infiltrate”, and derailing a panel discussion, because ETHICS!

Dawn Incognito
Dawn Incognito

“[m]y twitter handle isn’t a joke. I’m a female who enjoys rape fantasies.”

Wow. Even if I’m to take that at face value, just because you enjoy rape fantasies doesn’t mean your rape jokes are funny. Extremely few are, and I somehow doubt that you have the delicacy and comedic chops to pull it off.

Lots of feeeeeeeemales have rape fantasies, for a zillion different reasons. But that doesn’t mean that these people are allowed to disturb everyone else’s con to push this bullshit agenda.

AllisonW
AllisonW

Shaenon: I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them *don’t* function in the world.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

“Blah blah blah censorship blah blah blah SJW blah blah blah how do I even get views blah blah blah.”

That sums it up, right? I haven’t watched it yet.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

Not that’s I’d watch it.

Bina
Bina

That sums it up, right? I haven’t watched it yet.

Oh, probably. I wouldn’t press play unless I was boozed and/or medicated to the gills. And even then, I’d probably switch it off out of sheer boredom.

(An hour and a half. Jesus H but these gormless fucks are windy.)

venny
venny

they didn’t get a booth under false pretences, Karen Straughan explains in the beginning of that video

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

@Bina

If your video is longer than an episode of Game of Thrones, you might want to edit it down.

1 2 3 4