alpha males dance party dark enlightenment grandiosity gross incompetence irony alert reactionary bullshit red pill vox day YouTube

Vox Day wrote lyrics for an early-nineties industrial dance band. They’re just awful.

Vox Day, techno pop star

As racist, woman-hating fantasy writer Vox Day (aka Theodore Beale) likes to remind people, he was kind of a big deal in the industrial dance music scene back in the day, with three Billboard Club Hits to his name.

Well, sort of. Beale — he wasn’t known as Vox back then — was briefly a member of a largely forgotten industrial dance group called Psykosonik in the early nineties.

Now, I was listening to a lot of industrial dance music back in those days, and was particularly enamored of the label (Wax Trax!) that Psykosonik was on. Yet somehow I never noticed them.

Listening to their first album today — the one that Beale was involved in — I can see why. Musically, they’re a peppy, if highly derivative, mix of industrial and rave, at times sounding a bit like the Shamen or Pop Will Eat Itself or even, unbelievably, EMF.

The trouble comes when the group’s vocalist opens his mouth to sing or, even worse, to rap some of the most cringeworthy lyrics I’ve encountered since I listened to this. The bassy “rapping” in their song “Acid Hammer” is on a par with the rapping in Aqua’s “Barbie Girl,” except that Aqua was in on the joke, and Psykosonik clearly wasn’t.

And that’s where Mr. Beale comes in, because a lot of these very very serious, very very terrible lyrics are his. Psykosonik seems to have been built largely around two guys — Paul Sebastien (vocals, lyrics, music) and Daniel Lenz (music). Beale, a member for only two years, is credited by Wikipedia as being responsible for “composition, lyrics.”

So let’s take a look at some of them, shall we? The lyrics below, which I found on Lyrics Wikia, are excerpted from songs he’s credited with co-writing; click on the titles to see more.

Welcome To My Mind

Fractals fusing, brain abusing
Drink your smart drug, find illusion
Ride the air on an angel’s dare
Mandlebrots fly everywhere

Silicon Jesus

Illusion the solution
You will find your absolution
Within silicon, in silicon, in me

Shock On The Wire

Mondo rave, magnetic wave
Cyberbaby, my love slave
Computational attractivity
New world networked connectivity

Down to the Ground

Down to the ground, down to the ground
Social entropy is reigning today
Burn it down, burn it down, burn it down, down to the ground
A generation’s coming your way

Acid Hammer

Feel your heart explode with lust
Vacationers, this one’s a must
If you choose to take this drug
You will feel your libido erupt ….

If you choose to lick my brain
Use your tongue to taste the same
Feel the acid reign

Technojihad

Servitude is in the mind, a death in life
Don’t be confused by the terms of Left and Right
Statism is statism, by any name the same
Apathy is suicide and we will bear the blame …

Huge berserk rebel warthog error
Zeroboys unleash domestic terror
Jack it in and burn the data
Violence a religion they can relate to

Now, it’s not completely clear from the scanty info I’ve found if Beale wrote all of these lyrics by himself — Wikipedia also lists Sebastien as being responsible for lyrics — but quite a few of them have the stink of Beale about them. I mean, “social entropy,” “statism is statism?”

Oh, and that bizarre bit about the “huge berserk rebel warthog?” That may be Beale’s only bit of cleverness. After puzzling over it a bit, and listening to that part of the song over and over to make sure that was really what was being said, I put the phrase into Google and discovered that it’s an anagram for George Herbert Walker Bush.

If you want to listen to any of these songs — and really, they’re not bad, if you can manage to ignore the awful lyrics — you can find the whole album here.

And here’s the video for their single “Welcome to My Mind,” which features Mr. Beale’s rotating head.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Y’know, “99.9% of men are awful” isn’t really a lot better of a viewpoint than “99.9% of women are awful.”

Vanir (@Vanir85)

I honestly hate you. You get to say whatever you want, and any threat you get is nothing compared to what a woman would get if she said the exact thing you do. And, you get listened to. Because penis. Lucky you.

That is VERY misplaced hatred. Please don’t hate on men who actually support women, hate on the culture that perpetuates unfairness and discrimination against women – and the men that create it. Hate the men David writes about, not David, he does NOT deserve your hatred.

M.
M.

Oh look, a straw feminist gotcha troll trying to use SJ language and failing miserably. Yawn. For future reference, it was “White knight” that gave it away (well, and everything else, but that was the kicker). Only MRAs use that phrase these days.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

I can’t speak for everyone, but I know I am offended that David spends hours and hours of his life exposing himself to some of the most toxic shit the internet has to offer. To add insult to injury, he then has the audacity to ferret out the most outrageous bits and pieces of vile thought and post them here with witty commentary. I mean, what’s up with that? The unmitigated gall! We get to know what those assholes are saying without giving them clicks! We don’t have to subject ourselves to the comment sections and reddit threads where reason and civility go to die! As a final bit of malice, he then curates an excellent comment section here, where funny and thoughtful people can banter and debate and trolls are allowed only because they dance for our amusement.

That David Futrelle. What a jerk.

M.
M.

Anyway, back on topic.

I honestly can’t tell if Teknojihad is anti-war or pro-genocide. With the references to statism, Orwell and Bush, my first thought was anti-war, but Vox is such a screamingly authoritarian, murderously racist crackpot it might just be badly-written.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@M.

I’ve actually seen “White Knight” used on a few other (definitely NOT MRA-friendly) sites recently. It’s kind of jarring to see the phrase out in the wild, without the usual stream of consciousness “beta cuck mangina” following. It’s not used as a male-only insult, though. The other places apply it to any circumstance where someone’s valiantly trying to defend the indefensible. Like Woody with his unflagging allegiance to Paul Elam.

Ah, Woody. I miss the little guy. Wherever you are, friend, long may you sporkle.

Mewens
Mewens

Three things that drive me nuts in shitty lyrics:
1. “rhyme makes it poetry!”
2. “I can twist diction all I want, they’ll get what I mean”
3. “Meter’s for assholes”

I ain’t surprised that, out of 3, VD gets like a 2.6.

Dee
Dee

Dee
Dee

sorry, I only meant to post a link to the tweet there.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

For future reference, it was “White knight” that gave it away

For me, it was that, the “rack up feminist points” bullshit and the obsessive “how dare you discuss terrible people and bad things happening in our world! How dare you!”,which is kinda the whole idea behind antifeminism. To them, caring about issues, especially if they don’t affect you directly, is the worst thing ever. Which reveals much about them.

Yes, I’ve seen feminists (rightfully) calling out allies for shitty behavior, but never on the account that they dare to be allies, but because they’re acting shitty. It’s like MRAs really are incapable of seeing the difference between being called an asshole on account of one’s behavior and just being called an asshole.

Also, N.P.S. seems to have understood pretty much everything wrong (#NotAllMen, White Upper Class Feministy). It’s like, those are real issues, but they really do not apply here. Context, what’s that?

Still, I don’t want to believe N.P.S. to be an antifeminist troll. Partly because it’s not my place to tell anyone how to do their feminism, but also because that would mean that there exists a person on this earth who has gone through the trouble of actually listening to feminist arguments only to use them to pose as a feminist on the internet. I cannot understand anyone who would waste their time in that manner for a game of make-believe. If feminists truly were so horrible, why would one need to pretend to be one in order to make the movement look bad? You’d think you could just go on the internet and find the vile things feminists allegedly say every day. Then maybe gather them all in one place and make a blog about it or something.

Then again, I don’t understand people who identify as antifeminists in the first place, so my point is moot.

Lea
Lea

N.P.S.,

Uh huh. We’re supposed to think you’re for real? Pullith the other one. It hath bells upon it.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Aww, I thought Sue Perkins would actually have made a good host. There’s no point trying to replicate the show with “suspiciously simialr substitutes”* for the three originals. Then you’ve just got “5th Gear”. They need to go in a totally new direction. SP would have been really good. Although Sandi Toksvig would be even better; especially as she can’t drive.

Failing that, the German lass who drove the Transit really fast.

[* Copyright TVTropes]

M.
M.

Actually, that’s extremely common amongst the antisocial injustice wimps:

Lea
Lea

David is awesome. He makes me laugh. That is an amazing gift. David chooses to lighten people’s hearts. That’s such a cool thing to do. He doesn’t have to.

He ridicules bigots because they are ridiculous. They rant and rage and cry and plea for the ability to dominate and abuse. David laughs at them and his wit is razor sharp. He dissects their arguments and rightly mocks them. That is powerful activism. If it wasn’t, you wouldn’t be here trying to take him down a peg. I suspect you’re hoping to lower his morale and frighten away some of his newer readers. That’s cute. I bet you even thought it was clever when you came up with it.

You’re in way over your head, kid. You might want to get back in the shallow end.

Lea
Lea

That was directed to N.B.S.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@M.

Oh, I know there exist such people. I was taking a (failed) dig at N.P.S., who, I suspect, is one of these huge wasters of everyone’s time.

I’m leaving the crafting of disguised insults to people who can actually pull them off from now on. Carry on.

mrex
mrex

@M. “For future reference, it was “White knight” that gave it away (well, and everything else, but that was the kicker). Only MRAs use that phrase these days.”

Yeah, I refuse to let the assholes have the phrase “white knight”. The whole idea that some bro is going to swoop in on a white horse and fix everything for the girl is so fucking absurd that it deserves all the mocking it can get from all sides.

Yes, I know MRAs use “white knight” to shame other men for being too nice to women, but that’s just their toxic othering of women. If it wasn’t “white knight” then they would use “mangina” or some other phrase. I like the term “white knight” because it cuts through the soul of gendered chivalry and benevolent sexism so nicely.

Speaking of MRAs, it’s funny when you get some straw feminist concern troll like N.S.P. that is so steeped in the idea that women are the other team that zie* can’t understand that the majority of women, feminists included, don’t view men as “the other”. Which is, quite frankly, a far more healthy way to view the world.

Humans are humans? Yes indeed.

*I’m giving the benefit of the doubt that zie is indeed, a woman, and not a male concern troll.

M.
M.

@Anarchonist

… Oh, sorry. ^^;; My bad, I’m clueless sometimes.

mrex
mrex

“I don’t know how much you all know about Top Gear but someone started a rumour that Sue Perkins was going to be the new host and now she’s been getting death threats because of it.”

Enough to know that any new host is going to get death threats. The BBC should just ax the show, its hosts are what made it so special. (Not that I blame them for firing  Jeremy Clarkson.)

Spindrift
Spindrift

I think David’s doing a great job shining a mocking light on these horrible people, in an entertaining way. May Katie bless his many little ferret paws.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

There’s literally no reason for straight white guys to hate or even mildly dislike these kinds of folks. I’ve often wondered why David even has this blog. Is it just to look super clever? To rack up faux feminist points for some unfathomable reason? Like, no man ever has a real reason to be against these fucks.

How about the fact that they insist that men are basically uncontrollable rape machines unable to even look at a woman without sexualizing her? How about the fact that they insist that it is impossible for men and women to be friends? How about the fact that they actively work towards entrenching toxic masculinity?

This must be the single most shallow piece of reasoning I’ve ever seen, as if the underlying argument was “but they’re MEN’s rights activists! MEN! You’re a MAN, you must be in favor of them!” That’s not how it works. Even the smallest dive into their worldview will turn up hundreds of reasons why even straight white men would find them reupulsive, and that isn’t diminished by the fact that a large percentage of those reasons arise from simple morals and empathy.

sunnysombrera

Well said Kirby.

Ellesar

N.P.S – I am not at all sure if you are feminist or anti feminist, but you sure as hell are bad at putting a point across. Lots of twaddle to make the point that you do not believe that a man should be writing a feminist blog, and that you disagree with much of the content. Why couldn’t you have just said that instead of coming across like a born again feminist?!

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Damn, Sue Perkins is flipping AMAZING, and was the first person I ever heard win a round of Just A Minute without interruption, and I am now sad that she has decided to leave Twitter, because she is brilliant and funny and I actually might have a little bit of a crush on her. 🙁
Fuck Top Gear. If it did have Sue Perkins presenting, it’d be like, 100% less crappy and I’d feel ok about watching it again.

This made me think of Stewart Lee’s routine on Top Gear.

And there’s that bit he said about Richard Hammond being like the weaker kid who stands next to the school bully, Jeremy Clarkson, which I can’t seem to find.
But it doesn’t surprise me that TG fans are being vile to anyone even perceived as a threat to their show.

And yeah, what’s NPS’s point about this blog? How dare you quote shitheads, because it’s triggering to women? Who only get harassment if they speak against the shitheads? And that using one’s male privilege to call out other men is somehow misogyny?
Good thing xie seems to most likely be a troll. Does anyone recognise xir username?

gilshalos

Sue Perkins did a round of Just a Minute without being interupted ? Damn! I musta missed that ep.
Oh well, I heard David Tennent’s 1st appearance minute without interuption.

Lea
Lea

I don’t think these guys can imagine not wanting their white male privilege.
I’m white, straight, and cis.
I don’t want my privilege. I’m not afraid of equality. I do not want to support an oppressive system just because that system benefits me. I do not want status I do not deserve. If people only like, love or respect me because I’m white, straight, cis and married to the person I’m fucking, their esteem is meaningless. Those relationships, personal and professional, are empty and bleak. It isn’t something to celebrate. You should not want to live in Omelas.

Why don’t these men feel the same?

I think it’s fear. They cannot compete in a world where they aren’t super special for doing nothing at all. There is a world full of brilliant brown people and they do not want to compete with them. So many women’s minds and bodies are stifled and restrained. These bigots need that. They need other people held back so that they can attain some small measure of success. They know that. That’s what all the posturing and chest thumping is about. Women scare the shit out of them.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I don’t, but their immediate response to Nequam being “fuck off back to Reddit?” That smells of 4chan to me.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Yeah, I heard about David Tennant doing it on his first JAM appearance, but I was certain that I’d heard Sue Perkins do it before him, and felt like she deserved some credit for that, even though it wasn’t her first attempt. As much as I adore DT, I felt a little sad that so many people were lauding him for that, and not SP, and I suspected it might be a gender thing.
I love them both so much… Have they been on any programmes at the same time? I’m going to google that…

proxieme
proxieme

I was up for believing that NPS wasn’t a troll until that second post.

The first could’be been someone having an exceptionally bad day/week/year and venting spleen.
The second too throughly abused the MRA idea of feminist talking points to pass muster.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@M.

No worries. Now that I read my post again, I understand that it didn’t really have much in the way of genuine insults. I fail at them.

Note to self: It should have read: ” I cannot understand how even ludicrously arseheaded poopieheads with no life to speak of could have so much time on their hands as to actually, genuinely go through the trouble of learning the language, phrases and various points of feminist discourse purely for the fuckwitted waste of time that is impersonating a feminist on the internet, and even being spectacularly clueless enough to actually think that anyone with their head still attached to their shoulders would fall for that. That would be, like, grandiously stupid. Thank all the gods and goddessess that there exist no such people in the world, because I would feel so sorry for them that I would probably start weeping and laughing at the same time.”

sunnysombrera

The troll is gone, maybe we can move on now? Eh.

I may have unintentionally trolled a feminist blog a while back actually. It was under a blog post where the author was complaining that UK laws that ban gender-based abortion was oppressive to women. I pointed out that the reason those laws were in place was because there was an increase in certain members of certain minority groups repeatedly aborting girl fetuses. And that even though I’m as pro choice as they come, it’s not right to choose to abort because of something as superficial as gender.

Her response was…sigh…honest to God it was like the MRA caricature of a screeching harpy feminist. That’s when I just lost patience and started to just muck around for a couple more posts before disappearing. I’m sorry but I just can’t get on board with the idea that if you can’t abort based on gender your reproductive rights are being stamped on.

freemage

Ah, I love the smell of burning troll in the morning.

Has N.P.S. ever posted here before? Asking just because it’s worth noting that:

A: NPS posted on a thread that actually has very little of the sort of content that supposedly ‘triggered’ NPS (unless NPS is triggered by techno music, which certainly gives NPS’ post a different spin, y’know?);

B: NPS posted in the flounce, “I feel kind of sick having bought into this shit for as long as I have,” and “Thank you for the few genuine laughs this place provided before I became nauseous with guilt and shame.” This is intriguing, as it suggests that NPS has been around here awhile, but I don’t recall ever seeing any other comments–but if the reaction is as strong as NPS’ first post in this thread suggests, it would’ve come out a helluva lot sooner than this post, yes?

It’s almost like NPS is actually a lying fuckhead who also lacks the wit to lie effectively or consistently. My personal bet is a Vox Day fan.

weirwoodtreehugger

The fuck did I just read? I swear I’ve seen N.P.S. around here in a non trolling capacity. So I’m confused. Most of the time all I hear is about mean we are to everyone for stepping out of line. Now we’re suddenly Stepford wives and not all men central? If zie is an MRA, that’s quite a long con.

Personally, I’m happy that David wades through this crap so we don’t have to. Not because women are fragile and need a white knight, but because it is easier for someone who isn’t the target to read through that crap.

Also, the fact that he gets less harassment and vitriol from the manosphere than feminist women do is something he often addresses. I’m not seeing him asking for pity because they call him fat.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Oh and Tennant repeated the word “something” during his minute, even though he didn’t get interrupted. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02jmd8z

Sorry, I’ll try to bring it back to relevancy to the OP with some Angelspit if anyone’s interested.
Better than Beale’s lyrical output, anyway, IMO.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

That was a pretty unconvincing performance by NPS. Lots of red troll flags, including the unironic use of “cockblocking” and the attempt to reverse the standard “shut up, you’re just a girl, what do you know” argument and use it as some kind of weird feminist gotcha against David. It’s pretty clear zie hasn’t read the blog and is incapable of understanding why mockery and sunlight are the best (and perhaps the only) available tools for combating seething, entitled misogyny.

Plus, how do you arrive at “this blog is so triggering!! I hate you all!” from an innocuous thread about industrial dance music? That was the nonnest of sequiturs.

freemage

sunnysombrera: Eh… actually, given the situation, there’s still plenty of oppression going on there. The problem is that banning sex-selective abortions simply puts the women in a bind. They can’t abort (or, more commonly, can’t admit why they want to abort), but they also are going to suffer consequences for the first/only child in the family being another girl, because the communities they’re coming from are so misogynistic that it’s seen as undermining the family.

It’s utterly horrible that women are being put in the position of feeling they have to abort pregnancies with girl fetuses, but it’s not really a solution to tell them ‘no’ without offering better alternatives. All it really does is make everyone really good at lying (when what we’d be better off doing is tracking the reasons for abortions demographically, to see where we need to change societal issues).

That said, it sounds like your blogger was not very able to form a coherent point on the subject.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Yeah, I’m confused as well as to why, of all the posts to choose from, it’s the one mocking crappy industrial dance lyrics that broke the camel’s back.

gilshalos

Oh, I love Sue Perkins as well! I’m just sad I seem to have missed that performance.

weirwoodtreehugger

Sunny,
There are problems with laws like that though. Firstly, I don’t know about the UK, but I do know that in the US, there is zero evidence that droves of immigrant women are having sex selective abortions. You can’t eve tell the sex until 20 weeks or so. The vast majority of abortion takes place before that. It’s really just a thinly veiled excuse to restrict abortion access. Give us one more hoop to jump through.

Also, how do you enforce the law? Should doctors be required to quiz a woman on the reason for an abortion? Is it up to their discretion to say? It’s just seems to me like an excuse to legally discriminate against women of color and immigrant women. Particularly South Asian/Indian women. Because, let’s face it. White women aren’t going to be suspected of this.

Another issue is, what’s the punishment? If a prosecutor decides an abortion or even a miscarriage was a sex selective abortion. Does she go to jail? In the US, it’s not uncommon for women, almost always low income WOC to be prosecuted for a miscarriage or stillbirth that prosecutors have twisted into something criminal. I’m really not cool with a law that will give ammo to the courts to stick more POC in jail.

Plus, there’s a bodily autonomy issue. Women shouldn’t have abortion rights because their motives for an abortion or something people approve of. Nobody should be forced to host an organism for against her will.

maistrechat

That band shit up like half of all industrial compilations issued during their run

QFT. I might have worn out the skip track button on my CD player because of this band.

If they’re on a Wax Trax compilation I would have heard them at some point.

I’m pretty sure they’re in the Black Box. (Also in that set: The Young Gods, plenty of Al’s stuff, and … Divine’s version of The name game).

They also did the soundtrack to X-Calibur 2099, one of the worst SNES games ever.

Or at least, one of the worst SNES games that I got suckered into spending money on.

Charles RB
Charles RB

“There’s literally no reason for straight white guys to hate or even mildly dislike these kinds of folks.”

There’s literally no reason for straight white men to hate or mildly dislike a fascist who wants marital rape to be legal and pushes the idea that most of the Earth are biologically inferior to the point that black people aren’;t homo sapiens? Fuck you too, buddy.

sunnysombrera

Thanks for your points on the sex selective abortion ban. I forgot that even if it’s not that common, the women in the middle of misogynistic cultures will still get crap if they can’t abort a girl. The ban won’t make the attitudes go away.

mcgingersnap
mcgingersnap

Semi-off topic: today I was delighted to discover that a venture aimed at recovering “the lost voices of women who have been ignored in standard narratives of the history of modern philosophy” is called Project Vox.

proxieme
proxieme

Neat link @mcgingersnap 😀

Paradoxical Intention

Wow, I certainly missed a troll whilst I was sleeping, didn’t I?

For what it’s worth, David is an excellent business of ferrets in a David suit who dutifully puts on his waders every morning to go to the cesspool so we don’t have to.

(P.S. There’s a warning at the top of the blog under David’s head that this blog isn’t a safe place. It could stand to be a teeny bit more prominent, but it’s there. David does go out of his way to tag things that are especially triggering though, like stories about rape and whatnot.)

David has every right to think that he’s not a rape machine who can’t control his peen like these asshats he blogs about says. David has every right to think he’s not a terrible person and that women are out to get him. He’s got every right to think that he’s not doing mental gymnastics to somehow blame women for every ill in his life.

It’s fantastic that David understands he’s got (as far as I’m aware) cishet white male privilege, and he understands how that affects other people, so he uses his powers for the good of those who don’t share in his lot in life.

I don’t know where you got the idea that every man is horrible and must agree with shitty MRAs and PUAs, but we don’t subscribe to that particular newsletter here. Either lay off the radfem blogs, or shove off back to 4Chan.

And yeah, he would get listened to by other men because he’s a man, that’s why we need male allies. Because sometimes, men have it in their heads that we’re making it all up or exaggerating things, but when they hear the same things we say said by a man, suddenly we’re not so “hysterical” anymore.

If that’s what it takes to get some attention from men who may not have taken a woman seriously, and to get them to re-evaluate their thought processes and get into feminism, then so be it.

TL;DR: David is an awesome person for doing what he does, and you got no call to come in here and shoot your mouth off because you’re trying to exclude him from allyship based on his gender. Shove off and don’t come back until he actually does something terrible (which, judging from his track record, won’t be anytime soon).

Falconer

@maistrechat:

I’m guessing that was a Marvel tie-in, from the sound of it.

davidknewton
davidknewton

Sue Perkins is far and away the best one at Just a Minute 🙂 I don’t know the numbers offhand (but I bet that someone’s compiled them!) but I’m pretty sure she would have the most uninterrupted minutes of anyone…

I also want to say to NPS, even though you’re gone and were never real anyway, that the reason I’m against the MRA movement as a man is that everything that they do increases the gulf of distrust between men and women.

yamamanama
yamamanama

The Japanese soundtrack is a lot better.

I tried to listen to Psykosonic and needed to wash it out with lots of Glazunov and Atlas Lab.

Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)
Banana Jackie Cake, the Best Jackie and Cake! Yum! (^v^)

I like the part about N.P.S.’s post about this blog being all up in their face. There must be some sort of curse that keeps them glued to the seat, facing the monitor, eyes wide open with WHtM permanently on the screen. Honestly, any person that complains about any blog being “up in their face” is really using the most stupid argument ever. You can choose not to read this blog just as I choose to not go to 4Chan, Reddit or Stormfront. That’s what David is for, and we appreciate him for it.

mcgingersnap