#gamergate alpha males anti-Semitism antifeminism cultural marxism dark enlightenment drama kings entitled babies evil SJWs grandiosity homophobia men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny not-quite-explicit threats patriarchy reactionary bullshit red pill vox day

Vox Day: Christians need to follow the lead of #GamerGate and the Spanish Inquisition to defeat seculars, Satan

NOBODY expects the, well, you know.
NOBODY expects the, well, you know.

Over on Vox Popoli, everyone’s favorite far-right fantasy author Vox Day (Theodore Beale) is pig-biting mad that pizza parlors in Indiana won’t be allowed to refuse service to gay people. And so he’s doing his best to rally the troops for a real-world Culture War Deathmatch, urging Christians — or at least the right kind of Christians — to “stop their cowardly cowering before the world” and start acting like “the apostles and martyrs and crusaders and inquisitors who preceded them.”

Oh, and like the dudes who’ve been having a giant public temper tantrum about video games and evil SJWs with dyed hair for the past 7 months:

It’s time for the church leaders and the heads of Christian families to start learning from #GamerGate, to start learning from Sad Puppies, and start leading.

Sad Puppies, by the way, is a #GamerGatish coalition of anti-SJW warriors in the science fiction community who are fighting to save the world by stuffing the Hugo Awards ballot box.

Start banding together and stop accommodating the secular world in any way. Don’t hire those who hate you. Don’t buy from those who wish to destroy you. Don’t work with those who denigrate your faith, your traditions, your morals, and your God. Don’t tolerate or respect what passes for their morals and values.

Including tolerance itself.

Religious liberty in America is dead. Well and good. That was a fatal mistake by the other side, because now that they don’t respect our religious liberty, we have no reason or responsibility to respect theirs. Now it’s just a raw power struggle and we have the numbers, we have the indomitable will of the martyrs, and we have the certain knowledge of God on our side.

Embrace your fanaticism! God hates Depression Quest and John Scalzi — He told me so — and so should you!

I mean, you’re not in league with — could it be? —SATAN?

They have nothing but the carnal desires to which they are enslaved and the Prince of this fallen world, who has already been defeated by our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Apparently this defeated Prince still needs some more defeating.

We are not given a spirit of fear. We are the sons and daughters of the Crusades and of the Inquisitions, institutions so terrible that they strike terror in human hearts nearly one thousand years later.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise…surprise and fear…fear and surprise…. Our two weapons are fear and surprise…and computer games about orcs and trolls that have no ladies in them. Our three weapons …

We are the heirs of Christendom. They cannot defeat us and they cannot defeat our Lord. Augustus and the pagan emperors of Rome failed. The Ottoman emperors failed. The French Revolutionaries failed. The Communist killers of Spain, the Soviet Union, and China failed. The post-Christian seculars of the latter-day USA will fail too.

Yeah, keep us posted on how that goes, Ted.

Naturally, Mr. Beale’s thoughtful followers have some thoughtful thoughts on it all. Mr.MantraMan suggests shunning the “politicals.”

The SJWs are womanish, this is a tantrum by infantilized white so called adults, we cant send the little bitches to their rooms but we can shun them with barely disguised malice.

As for demographics, the colored folk if you will tolerate them they do not love the SJW, at all.

W.LindsayWheeler suggests that what we really need is a, well, return of kings.

The elite WASPs have bought into Masonry and Cultural Marxism, our media is owned by Jews who ensure Liberals as journalists and editors. You’ve lost control of the direction of the society.

We have to return to Throne And Altar that is the ONLY antidote to Liberalism, not more ideologies.

Vic, meanwhile, is fighting the evil secular Devil-worshippers by … uploading Miley Cyrus songs to torrent sites. No, really.

I have already started soft warfare myself, sharing all miley cyrus, elton john, and any other of these blowhards trashy songs I happen to have, uploading on torrent sites …. Two can play these hit `em in the pocketbook games … .

Al Cibiades thinks we should restrict the vote to married couples. And by married couples he means married men:

I propose a familial suffrage amendment while we have the numbers. One woman and one man = one vote. If single people are interested in “change” let them have a stake in how it directly affects the future. More or less I believe it would return some of the balance before women’s suffrage unleashed these ills upon us.

Tom believes that the children are our future.

Ya’ll need to have more Christian children. My homeschooled Christian horde of 7 need spouses who also believe in homeschooling and large families so they can each have their own horde of little homeschooled Christians. If each of them manage just 5 kids each, that’s 35 Christian grandkids. …

By the way, my eldest, a 12 year old, is the only one who even knows that homosexuals exist. That is really only because it came up in a couple sermons at church and she asked questions.

At this point I stopped reading the comments.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

I’ve started to suspect that The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Played wasn’t to convince people he didn’t exist – it was to found this kind of Uber-conservative, bigoted perversion of the Christian church.

Star Lady

Por Vox, so terribly oppressed by these horrible sub-humans who will insist on dirtying his nice jack boots with their faces.

Zolnier
Zolnier

You know one of my old teachers is a devoutly Christian woman with fertility problems, I really hate it when people who claim to represent her faith essentially belittle anyone who cannot or chooses not to have bucket loads of kids.

Nequam
Nequam

Somewhere along the line an awful lot of self-described “Christians” confused “emulating Christ” with “nurturing a big fucking martyr complex.”

Aldous Huxley, in The Devils of Loudun had some rather more eloquent discussions of the corruption that befalls certain people who consider themselves churchly. (For those who’ve seen Ken Russell’s The Devils, it’s very loosely based on this book, with an emphasis on the twisted sexual psychology and lurid exorcisms rather than the deeper underpinnings of the book.)

Nequam
Nequam

Ah, found my Huxley quotes. (One is more political than religious, but still very applicable 60+ years later:

There are many people for whom hate and rage pay a larger dividend of immediate satisfaction than love. Congenitally aggressive, they soon become adrenalin addicts, deliberately indulging their ugliest passions for the sake of the ‘kick’ they derive from their psychically stimulated endocrines. Knowing that one self-assertion always ends by evoking other and hostile self-assertions, they sedulously cultivate their truculence. And, sure enough, very soon they find themselves in the thick of a fight. But a fight is what they most enjoy; for it is while they are fighting that their blood chemistry makes them feel most intensely themselves. ‘Feeling good,’ they naturally assume that they are good. Adrenalin addiction is rationalized as Righteous Indignation and finally, like the prophet Jonah, they are convinced, unshakably, that they do well to be angry.

Partisan loyalty is socially disastrous; but for individuals it can be richly rewarding– more rewarding, in many ways, than even concupiscence or avarice. Whoremongers and money-grubbers find it hard to feel very proud of their activities. But partisanship is a complex passion which permits those who indulge in it to make the best of both worlds. Because they do these things for the sake of a group which is, by definition, good and even sacred, they can admire themselves and loathe their neighbors, they can seek power and money, can enjoy the pleasures of aggression and cruelty, not merely without feeling guilty, but with a positive glow of conscious virtue. Loyalty to their group transforms these pleasant vices into acts of heroism. Partisans are aware of themselves, not as sinners or criminals, but as altruists and idealists. And with certain qualifications, this is in fact what they are. The only trouble is that their altruism is merely egoism at one remove, and that the ideal, for which they are really in many cases to lay down their lives, is nothing but the rationalization of corporate interests and party passions.

… at all times, all too many Christians have behaved as though the devil were a First Principle, on the same footing as God. They have paid more attention to evil and the problem of its eradications than to good and the methods by which individual goodness may be deepened, and the sum of goodness increased. The effects which follow too constant and intense a concentration upon evil are always disastrous. Those who crusade, not for God in themselves, but against the devil in others, never succeed in making the world better, but leave it either as it was, or sometimes even perceptibly worse than it was, before the crusade began. By thinking primarily of evil we tend, however excellent our intentions, to create occasions for evil to manifest itself.

dhag85

Girl asking questions about sexuality, you say? Uh oh, you’re fucked.

Lea
Lea

Paul Elam and Pox really like the idea of their readers martyring themselves. Doosh was just warning his readers of the end of the world.

These guys think Jim Jones is a role model.

Scarlettathena

They are Ignatius Reilly – except he was at least amusing.

“I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.”

“What I want is a good, strong monarchy with a tasteful and decent king who has some knowledge of theology and geometry and to cultivate a rich inner life.”

Orion

I’m certain that Quartzok is a parody. My strategy to get around Poe’s law is to read for form, not for content. Every opinion in that post is something a real red piller might have said, but they wouldn’t say it all in one post. At several points the comment appears to reply to an unseen interlocutor or to acknowledge a criticism. That’s a pretty common tactic people use when putting on a role — basically posting a one-sided transcript of an entire conversation to show that they have a well-developed character without making everyone live through the mendacity and sea lions in real time. A real red piller would have spread that content out over at least a half-dozen posts.

Doesn’t mean it’s not tone deaf, of course.

Lea
Lea

I’ve seen it backfire somethin’ fierce.

A great deal of fundamentalist homschooling seems to. I’m a secular homeschooler in an area where the only homeschool groups are fundamentalist groups. When I started out they had gender segregated clubs. There was chess for boys and cooking and domestic training for girls. I’ve been at this for a while. I don’t know if they still meet. At one time I was trying to be a part of that community because it assured me it was tolerant and welcoming. I turned out not to be welcome at all, but in the meantime I learned that many families were raising their kids to go to Liberty U and study law. These are people who don’t care much for science, but their kids win at Bible Drill. They wanted their kids to be good at debate. They wanted them familiar with logic, law etc in order to “win America back for Jesus”. 10 yrs later those kids are often better educated than their parents meant them to be. They did too good a job. The daughters don’t want arranged marriages. They have ambition. The want to see the world they read about instead of staying down on the farm. These young adults know it isn’t normal to have an annual (I shit you not. I know people who did this 10 or 15 years back) Christmas tree burning celebration to remind kids to shun secular Christmas. They now know what that Liberty diploma is really worth. There’s a growing backlash and that’s a very good thing. Quiverfull and the like sell an ideal vision of a happy, prosperous Christian family that will be stable and safe from the sins of the world for generations to come. That is not what the family gets.

I’m a fan of homeschool. It’s difficult sometimes, but it is so worth it. It’s not for everyone, but it is exactly what our kids need. We are one of 4 homeschool families (that I am familiar with) in our neighborhood. I don’t think we do anything alike. The other three families are religious (two Christian, one Pagan) We have different methods and different goals. Still, the kids run and play and have fun together. It’s nice. Most home/unschoolers are cool people. It turned out that their were other families like ours that didn’t fit in with the fundamentalists. Some tough it out just to have a community, but aren’t in it to build an army for God. Others do their own thing and both sorts rarely get noticed by the wider community. Which is why people tend to only see headlines about horrible homeschoolers. When things go well, it isn’t news.

Lea
Lea

There not their. Oops

Zolnier
Zolnier

Also none of these people ever seem to consider the financial security needed to support such large families. The Duggars are not average, it’s easy to be debt free if you have a television show and all that comes with it. Most Quiverfall families that manage to have that many kids, because even a lot of normally fertile women just aren’t physically capable of having children in the double digits, barely scrape by.

Regan
Regan

@Anarchoist

Thank you! I checked it out and I’m sorry I’ll temper language. That word must be a little jarring to suddenly see. I actually get agitated when someone calls me crazy so, I should know better. Also sorry for the late reply. My excuse is family and an airplane ride.

GrumpyOldMangina

“God is on our side” is very frequently the war-cry of malicious scumbags like Pox.

I am a pretty arrogant person at times but I have never felt confident enough to be able to say “X is what God wants you to do” with a straight face.

We all remember the Bible story about Jesus being tempted by Satan in the Wilderness, where Satan tried to tempt Jesus with visions of worldly power and Jesus turned him down. What the Bible leaves out is that when Satan walked away, he was smiling broadly, because he knew Jesus would soon be dead and many of his successors would fall all over themselves pursuing the bargain that Jesus rejected.

Dawn Incognito
Dawn Incognito

@WWTH:

I don’t know Larry Correia, but it reminds me a bit of Dean Koontz. I used to find his books entertaining. They’re nothing meaningful or important, but he’s good at writing suspense so his books used to be worthy time passers. Lately though, he just seems to be increasingly bitter and reactionary. I got a couple of his more recent books for free as hand me downs and they’re almost unreadable. They’re basically screeds about how depraved today’s world is. Blech!

I’ve only read one Correia, and my takeaway was “dude really loves his guns”. It wasn’t a bad noir-ish book with a team of ragtag superheroes defeating the Japanese in WWII. But wow, the loving descriptions of weaponry gave me ideas about the man.

Those ideas weren’t wrong, BTW. This is a man who doesn’t want me anywhere near his science fiction.

Dawn Incognito
Dawn Incognito

Now I have Danny Michel’s “If God’s On Your Side” in my head.

All I see is hate and greed
People fighting in the streets
And all these tears are washing me away
Intolerance and genocide
Your book says that mine’s a lie
If God’s on your side
Then who’s on mine?

vanir85

comment image?t=HBhpaHR0cDovL2NhbGxlZG91dHJldi5maWxlcy53b3JkcHJlc3MuY29tLzIwMTUvMDQvMTA0MTE5NjJfMTAyMDU5OTc2MTI3Njk1MTFfNDc3Mjk5NDA2NDYzMTAyODIzX24uanBnP3c9NjQwFMAHFMgDABYAEgA&s=DDn-WE3uiOKFtL9ayuc8mtg4A3Jy1Aabp6jdeukkSB0

(a test)

Vox should have this stapled on his door.

theboost
theboost

Sharing songs on bitorrent counts as holy war? Could this dude set the bar for his own achievements any lower?

vanir85

– Lea

I suppose it’s a comfort that sexist people who truly believe their own sexism, will always end up underestimating girls and women. I mean – they actually think that young women who find themselves with OPTIONS, will CHOOSE to spend her life as a servant to her family and doormat to her husband?

Gotta hand it to them, they seem to truly believe that women, by their very nature, WANT to live lives of submission – that a young woman with the world ahead of her just can’t WAIT to find a head-of-household that will keep her barefoot and pregnant.

vanir85

If that is holy war, then these people should fear David Futrelle – ’cause in comparison to their “warfare”…

THEN DAVID IS GODZILLA, AND THEIR MISOGYNY IS JAPAN!!!

*ahem*

As for Voxxys idea of cultural war – it’s kinda funny actually, as sharing these songs on bittorrent could also be seen as spreading the “left-wing jeebus-hating” culture by helping to make its art and messages free and easily accessible.

vanir85

The blockquote monster seemed to like my text. It embraced it all.

Shaenon

My friend Matthew actually declined his nomination on the Sad Puppies (and the Rabid Puppies) slate, for a host of reasons.

Matthew Surridge? His blog post explaining his choice is excellent, if way more thoughtful and well-reasoned than the situation deserves.

Here it is for anyone else interested in reading it: http://www.blackgate.com/2015/04/04/a-detailed-explanation/

sunnysombrera

Which makes you wonder: if it’s “natural” for women to want to be like that, why the hell do these uber-religious-right types put so much emphasis on trying to force women into that box? If it was “natural”, they wouldn’t be having to do it.

Reminds me a bit of the stink that the Church put up when Mary became the first Queen of England. Before they’d been all “women can’t be rulers because they’re weak and foolish!” Then when Mary turned out to be actually pretty good at the job (apart from the whole burning people thing…) they changed their tune to “she’s going against her God-given nature! Sinner!” They wanted women to stay in “their place” no matter what and denied as much evidence as they could to keep it that way. Kind of like what Vox and pals are doing in 2015.

Fortunately Elizabeth followed Mary immediately after and then England realised that yes women CAN lead a country, thank you very much.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Let’s just ignore the fact that Emperor Constantine actually converted to Christianity; that the council of Nicea, the Nicene Creed that came from it, and the Roman Catholic Church were all results of this and the Roman Empire becoming Christianized; and that the Roman Empire that fell was already Christian. (And finally destroyed by Goths who had also converted to Christianity by that time, so not even a valid claim of pagans persecuting them.)

As mentioned above, he really does have a rather unique grasp of history, doesn’t he? Then again, his father is a tax protester and edging into the Sovereign Citizen idiocy by way of ‘Lord Jesus is the only Authority’ thinking, and there’s good reason to suspect that Vox helped his father hide some of the money, which is part of why he hasn’t been living in the U.S. for several years now.

Regarding the ‘Dark Enlightenment’, according to the RationalWiki page, he pretty much is, but considers ‘Dark Enlightenment’ as a term to be media hype and doesn’t use it.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Sorry, left out a note above, that being a tax protester and Sovereign Citizen type also requires a pretty unique grasp of history, so Vox likely came by his ‘history’ honestly.

M.
M.

And then Victoria. Then Elizabeth II. And now England’s queens are way more well-known and generally more respected than its kings ever were. =P

M.
M.

Oops, that was continuing on from Sunny’s post. Slow typing.

Robert
Robert

Learning that loathsome excrescences like VD hate Masonry was one of the things that inspired me to join.

Actually, just about everyone who’s anti-Masonic is also anti-me, so it was a good fit.

And I know I’ve said it before, but Dark Enlightenment always makes me think of pseudointellectual Juggalos.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

I got an alternate explanation for this when I was involved in an evangelical group back in the 90’s. Women actually don’t want to be submissive, it’s a part of our nature that we must fight in order to please God (kind of a 180 from the “being a good leader is against womanly nature” mentality that sunnysombrera mentioned – modern!). Men don’t want to be dominant, but they have to force themselves into command roles to fulfill God’s plans. It’s all there in Genesis, y’see; Eve ate the fruit instead of following orders, and Adam passively accepted it instead of being a leader, and it all led to the Fall. So no matter what your gender is, it’s totally natural to be dissatisfied with your lot in a godly life. Even laudable, since you’re setting aside your own desires and talents to live according to scripture. But don’t worry, you’ll be content one of these days.

I’m not in touch with anyone else from that group (I only lasted about six months), so I don’t know how long anybody actually stuck to that philosophy or how it’s working out for anyone who did.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

If each of them manage just 5 kids each, that’s 35 Christian grandkids.

Of which, statistically, 1-3 are likely to be gay.

The Quiverfull movement is so selfish and ecologically irresponsible. Most of those families pay no federal income tax (thanks to being able to claim tax credits for 12 kids), many are on welfare, taking resources and contributing to overpopulation and pollution, but not giving anything back. Our planet is already overcrowded, and they want us drowning in their kids.

There’s a racial component to it, too, that’s very distasteful.

“happen to have”….LOL! What a hypocrite. If he really thinks those songs are trashy and tools of Satan, what are they even doing on his hard drive?

To me, the scariest thing about far-right Dominionists is their utter disdain for secular law. They believe any action is justified, from mp3 piracy to inquisition and murder, as long as it serves their conception of God.

AllisonW
AllisonW

I admit–apologies to Lea–that part of me really wants to crack down on the homeschooling movement. For all the people who use it for perfectly good reasons, we have an epidemic of (often conservative religious) parents using it as a front for, more or less, child abuse. When their advocates openly claim to want the “honour system” with regards to whether they’re actually teaching their children or not abusing them, what I hear is that they want absolute freedom to abuse their offspring and for said offspring to not have any enforceable rights. Not all of them are even receiving the kind of education that would allow their upbringing to backfire, particularly among the more extreme sorts who want their daughters to die giving birth to their twentieth child and not study law at Liberty University and who read books that actually contain instructions on how to abuse your children in ways that child protection services (ineffectual as they are) can’t detect. (Debi Pearl’s books come to mind, and children have already died from their parents attempting to use those CPS-proof abuse techniques.)

Really, cracking down on that kind of isolationist bullshit is important. Lea, I accept that in your experience many of those children are relatively fortunate and that their parents’ attempts at indoctrination backfired, but I’m terrified for all the children who are not so fortunate. The extreme fundamentalist homeschooling movement must be stopped for their sake, even if that means making homeschooling harder for people who actually use it for the good of their children. I’m aware we probably won’t agree on this, but I do prioritise protecting children from extremist parents over protecting them from the shortcomings of the public school system.

Also, the Amish. As I hear it in some places they’re actually allowed to keep their children out of high school. That needs to be stopped for the exact same reasons.

sunnysombrera

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Quiverfull taught that it was “unbiblical” to accept welfare so they just keep popping out babies and expect Dad to find the money to keep them all through the power of “faith”. So apparently many families live in poverty?

Add to that the uncommon but still tragic instance of Mama giving up the ghost and dying, because after years of pregnancy, breastfeeding, working around the clock to take care of kids and repeating the cycle over and over again her body just can’t take it any more. Then you have a half dozen motherless children while their local church harumphs and says “well she obviously just didn’t have enough faith.”

Note: nothing wrong with using faith in a sticky situation, but deliberately and knowingly putting yourself in trouble and expecting God to bail you out is called “testing God”, which you just don’t do. Same with if doctors tell the mothers that the really really can’t afford to get pregnant again or they could be facing death/permanent health issues, but they press ahead anyway with “the Lord will help us!”

ceebarks
ceebarks

I’m with Lea– my parents got pretty into the fundy homeschooling thing for awhile and we turned out not actually to be brainwashed. Every generation of parents seems to think they can mold perfect little soldiers for whatever their own ideological battle is and I’ve never seen it work quite the way it was supposed to, just ’cause… that’s not how humans work.

If anything, the whole thing really put a bad taste for religion in my mouth. If they’d raised us a little more “normally” where you weren’t constantly in some absurd fevered battle to choose The Truth over the (greatly exaggerated) Eeeevil Secular World, I can imagine how I’d have at least a warm nostalgic fuzzy for the religion of my youth now, in the place where my hair-trigger gag reflex lives.

But YMMV. lol

one thing I will note is that it’s often the women who are the driving force behind the submissive-wife/zillions of kids/SAHM thing. A friend of mine has 12 kids, has homeschooled them all and even spent some time giving classes to neighborhood women on how to be a Fascinating Woman. I went to a few of them ’cause she’s really very nice… and I was bored and chronically broke, lol. But it turns out she’d ALWAYS wanted a huge family, so she very sensibly found a guy who was amenable (if perhaps a little shell-shocked) and I think they just gradually adopted a belief system that would support and reinforce that in practice. I’d think she was just an odd outlier, but that’s a pattern I’ve seen quite a few times now, online and off. Can’t speak for any other patriarchal-type subcultures but, yeah, that facet of it always interests me.

weirwoodtreehugger

Speaking of fundies, I had to use all the mental fortitude I had to not blow up at my uncle today. He said evolution was a lie and thinks gang rape is common in India because they don’t have Jesus. Sigh.

ceebarks
ceebarks

depends on who you talk to, really. I don’t think “quiverfull” is so much an organized movement with official dogma as a… fairly loose network with a handful of tighter nodes.

Boogerghost

@weirwoodtreehugger Ugh, I’m so sorry you had to put up with that. Having that kind of thinking in your own family is heartbreaking. Luckily, the few in mine live far, far away and we can usually skirt around the crazy when we see them. But I know others aren’t as fortunate. Hugs and good luck.

friday jones
friday jones

Watch out for the gay Jewish Freemasons! They’re out to take your jobs and GET YOU!

Bina
Bina

Well, that’s fucked up on a number of levels. First off, there ARE Christians in India, along with Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, and even atheists here and there. It’s a multi-cultural country. Secondly, Christians are just as capable of gang rape as anyone else. I’m pretty sure that a lot of “corrective” gang-rapes in Africa and elsewhere are perpetrated by devout Christians. Jesus doesn’t cockblock, and anyone who thinks he can is an idiot.

As for evolution being a “lie”…yeah, sure. Fossil records dating back hundreds of millions of years all just laid themselves down to pull our collective leg. Yuh-huh.

Sorry your uncle is such an ass. Hugs if you want ’em.

zarathustratheserpent

Ya’ll need to have more Christian children. My homeschooled Christian horde of 7 need spouses who also believe in homeschooling and large families so they can each have their own horde of little homeschooled Christians. If each of them manage just 5 kids each, that’s 35 Christian grandkids. …

I’m sorry, but is this guy some kind of creationist? He does sound like an evangelical fundamentalist.

lightcastle
lightcastle

@Shaenon – yes, that’s him. That answer is very in keeping with his approach to life, though, so I wasn’t too surprised to see something that calm and meticulously laid out.

weirwoodtreehugger

My uncle is an alcoholic. He’s sober now, but rather than recovering, he’s sort of replaced one addiction with another, religious extremism. It’s sad. He’s ruined his relationship with all six of his kids who are all fortunately, decent people and doing well. He’s not going to change so I just sort of put up with him.

And yeah, it’s ridiculous that he doesn’t think there are Indian Christians.

Mizuki
Mizuki

So much wrong with these statements, but one thing I can’t get over is the comment about “communist killers” of China failing. Um excuse me? How has communism failed in China when they remain a one-party country run by the Communist Party of China? Even if you consider the opening of the economy in the late 70s a failure of communism, China remains decidedly non-Christian. And what about all the other secular or non-christian countries out there? Or is he saying that those countries tried to kill Jesus?? (How would that even work outside of the Romans?) This is all so stupid.

friday jones
friday jones

Remind your uncle that Mother Theresa existed and worked in Calcutta.

vaiyt

Is Vox Day for real? For someone who writes sci-fi, his head is firmly planted in the Victorian fantasy of the past.

With a population higher than Europe, and just as much cultural diversity. By all m should have been more confusing than the Balkans (and in the case of the Indian-Bangladeshi border, actually is).

vaiyt

lol, the entire last sentence was supposed to be excised from the post

proxieme
proxieme

That is henceforth how I shall think of them.

Sockweasel Pokémon (@RicksWriting)

THAT term has been twisted by evangelist culture to uselessness though. Quite often “testing God” is twisted to mean “questioning God”. So, it is bad to TEST (question) whether God will help you, because he obviously WILL, so you’d better count on God because anything else would be doubt. Also, if God didn’t help, it was obviously because you tested (questioned) him with something, so he decided to throw you under the bus, which means the solution is less testing (questioning), until you’re at the point where you do literally anything you’re told by God (read: your church culture/pastor/etc) without the slightest bit of scrutiny for fear you’ll be punished.

It brings it around to having the exact opposite meaning, despite being “literal” interpretation, with the bonus addition of negating all opposition to this interpretation because to do so would again be a test of God, which is bad. This is basically the only way that some churches can advocate for a specific, narrowly defined lifestyle, because anything self-destructive that results from this lifestyle is interpreted not the fault of the lifestyle itself, but as a lack of faith on the part of the participant.

(Of course, then you have people in that lifestyle wondering why people outside of the lifestyle DON’T seem to have the crushing problems even though they openly “defy God”, which is why those churches grow ever more insular and try to avoid “corruption” from the outside, because people being happy out there must obviously be a lie . . . I could go on for days, and have)

Tracy
Tracy

@Nequam thanks for the Huxley quotes!

Could someone please explain to me the obsession ppl like Pox have with Masons? My granddad in England was a Mason, and my mum went to a Masonic boarding school. Far as I know, no vast conspiracies were planned in either case. Course, that’s probably what they WANT me to think! *dun dun duuuuuunnn*

Robert
Robert

Friday Jones – oddly enough, one of my lodge brothers actually was a gay, Jewish Mason. Even more oddly, given the OP, he was one of the most conservative people I’ve met in recent years. That’s by San Francisco Bay Area standards; in many parts of the USA, he’d probably be considered a progressive Democrat.

Tracy, as I understand it, Masonry in the U.K. has long been a part of the Establishment in a way it hasn’t been here for quite some time. People like Vox see it as a tool of secretive conspirators, out to destroy Christianity and real ‘Murkin values and replace them with religious indifferentism and New World Order tyranny. Right wing Evangelicals, by contrast, see it as anti-Christian tool of Satan, out to destroy true religion and replace it with Mystery Babylon.

Jessica
Jessica

I’m going to dust off the ol’ history degree from the shelf to exercise some little used authority. This guy’s a moron.