no trolls allowed open thread

Open thread for personal stuff, April 2015 Hypnokitty Edition

You will be assimilated.
You will be assimilated.

Here’s an open thread for personal stuff, continued from here. You know the drill: No trolls, no MRAs/PUAs/MGTOWs etc, be nice. Email the mods/me if shit gets weird.

dhag85

* not = now

gilshalos

I do have 4 or 5 pepperoni pizzas in the freezer so when I can’t do more than stick one in the oven I can still eat.
I tend to not think so much about healthy food, as you know, actually eating.
This might be why I am fat. But I still care more that I eat at least once a day as caring about wht it is.

gilshalos

Also, doctors ? Are you ok ?

mayimoktoo
mayimoktoo

dhag85, thank you. Thank you so much. I love her like a sister and this means so much to me.

As you might have been able to tell from the poorly worded gofundme campaign, she is NOT comfortable with this sort of thing. It takes a certain type of strength to admit that you need help and to reach out. Receiving help from strangers is simultaneously embarrassing and uplifting. It sucks that you have to do it but the reminder that people, even total strangers can be kind is just awesome. (in the “fills you with a sense of awe” and “sense of awwww!” type of ways.)

She’s been so strong for so long and she never loses hope, compassion or her delightfully biting,sarcastic sense of humor. If she had time to comment here, things might even be funnier than they are now. If that’s even possible.

dhag85

I totally understand that. And it’s definitely more important to actually eat something than to always eat healthy. I’m a classic over-eater, so I guess my problem is more straight forward. I just need to eat less, which is hard because food tastes GOOD. :p

As for doctors, I made a post about my health situation earlier in this thread. It’s sucky, but not an emergency.

dhag85

@mayimoktoo

I like to donate to these sorts of things because I want to help, but also because I want to strongly encourage people to ask for help when it’s needed. You’re an awesome friend for helping her spread the word. 🙂

I would do a FB share but sadly I have no, whatchamacallit, friends.

dhag85

I’m gonna go play Resident Evil 6! 🙂 The game sort of sucks, but I still like it.

mayimoktoo
mayimoktoo

dhag85,

I would do a FB share but sadly I have no, whatchamacallit, friends.

I actually snort/laughed out loud with empathy. My three days of pummeling friends on FB has resulted in four whole donations. Still, it’s such a significant percentage of my interwebs friends that I count it a victory. 🙂

mayimoktoo
mayimoktoo

Block quote worked!!! I win!

Paradoxical Intention

dhag85 | April 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm

It’s alright. It’s better than five, at least. : P

I don’t like the blah soundtrack though, so I use the XBox’s wonderful feature to play music while I play it.

Nothing will ever beat the time I was facing a horde of zombies and “Who Let the Dogs Out?” started playing.

contrapangloss

Yay for cooking, Gilshalos!

Not much of a movie buff, outside a few that I know way too well… so sorry for not following that. I know how it is to be bored and not have energy and being like “Hi Internet! TALK TO ME, PLEASE”

Paradoxical Intention

Holy crap. It’s hailing outside. In California.

Well, that’s pretty common in NorCal, but I’m in the lower part of NorCal (in the Sacramento Valley).

And there’s been lots of thunder too. D:

dhag85

@PI

Nah, I actually liked RE5 better than this. I do enjoy the parallell storylines thing, but RE6 just has too much movie and too little game for my taste. There are so many sections in this game where you walk a few steps, then watch a video clip, then press hit one button, then watch a video clip, then kill one zombie, then watch a video clip, etc. I agree with some of the reviews I read, in that I think it’s a fun ride and a worthy final part in what I view as the trilogy of RE4-6. Many explosions! Just wish there were more other things instead of some of the explosions.

I’m having a bit of a Resident Evil revival right now. I played Revelations on my 3DS last year, and followed up with Resident Evil 5 this year in January. Went a bit overboard with the completion of RE5 and couldn’t stop until I had S-ranked every chapter on every difficulty level. The satisfaction when it’s all done! The chapter that ends with the Wesker fight where you just avoid him for like 7 minutes, and then the Jill fight where you have to rip the device off her chest and you can’t shoot her or she’ll die.. could be one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever done. On the highest difficulty any hit from Wesker or Jill basically kills you instantly, and if you die more than 2 times in the chapter you can’t get the S-rank. And the chapter takes something like 30 minutes to play if I recall correctly. It was horrible.

Anyway, I really liked Revelations, but was very sad to see that Revelations 2 in the Windows version is completely unplayable. Wasted money. :/

dhag85

Just defeated Deborah in the Ada campaign. 🙂 I deserve a break.

Tracy
Tracy

@NickNameNick wow. Hang in there 🙂

@Hambeast – my BIL’s ex is also one of those women the MRA’s think we’re all like. I empathize with you. People like that make things hard for everyone, step and extended family included. Hope your stepson is ok. BIL’s daughter moved in with him and my sister, and it’s been going extremely well for all of them… I wish the same for you guys.

@dhag85 – very gentle hugs, and I hope you find relief soon. Is your arthritis the autoimmune kind, ie: RA?

I’ve been watching a playthrough of RA6, and… it just isn’t appealing to me at all. Busband and I were really excited when it came out, but meh, will skip it unless it starts looking better. The playthrough I’m watching isn’t that far in, but some of the mechanics seem buggy and annoying.

I just beat the Tomb Raider reboot though – what an awesome game! And Lara Croft is actually wearing proper pants! Can’t wait for the next one, supposed to be out at the end of the year.

AllisonW
AllisonW

On games and soundtracks: I played Hotline Miami 2 recently. Holy shit. *Holy shit.* (Examples of said soundtrack easily found on the Youtubes.)

ceebarks
ceebarks

I’m in the final stretch of my master’s program! Seriously can’t believe it. My gown and hood came in… it still almost seems like they must belong to someone else.

Also just got offered a summer position at the local Americorps VISTA site, so I’m pretty excited about that. The stipend is famously low, but hey, after ten years of the SAHM thing, making a whole 900 bucks a month sounds… not as bad as perhaps it should, lol Sounds like I’ll be tutoring high school kids in the summer school program, but I don’t think they’ve nailed down assignments just yet.

anyway, yay! now to buckle down and finish strong in my program.

Robert
Robert

Our older son’s psychiatrist has prescribed a new anti-psychotic, which he has promised to take. Several weeks of non-medication have been increasingly difficult. Now we are waiting for Medicare to approve it. We’re looking forward to the voices going away, or at least being muted.
Meanwhile, my husband (the baker/pastry chef) has been advised to lose weight. Around forty pounds, in fact. He is not best pleased by this news.
And our younger son is actually doing okay. It’s strange for me to not be most concerned about him, but he’s been almost like a real live boy lately.

And me, I’m just keeping on. Every time I look in the mirror, it reminds me of all the friends of mine who never got to be this old.

contrapangloss

Robert: hugs your way, if you’d like them. Also, good luck to your hubby: that’s a real challenge, and he’ll probably need a bit of support.

I’m glad your youngest is doing okay, and hope your older kiddos meds work well and help him feel okay. Best of symptom relief without the awful side-effects that he hates?

Ceebarks: Congratulations! I haven’t stated grad school, but I remember getting to that point in my undergrad… It was both stressful and awesome. Also, tutoring highschool kids can be loads of fun, so good luck with that!

Paradoxical Intention

Hey guys, I just saw an article that made me throw up in my mouth a little, but I think it’s important, so I’d like to share it with all of you. It’s disgusting that this happened in my home state.

TRIGGER WARNING FOR RAPE AND PEDOPHILIA. (If you’d still like to help, skip to the first link below and sign the petition.)

TL;DR first: A judge lessened a child rapist’s sentence to fifteen years below the minimum sentence because he believed it would be “cruel and unusual” to the rapist, because a doctor said that the rapist suffered “a great deal of family disruption and abuse, making him an insecure, socially withdrawn, timid, and extremely immature young man with limited self-esteem”, and because he said he was really sorry for raping that little girl and would face the punishment.

That’s all you need to know if you want to avoid the worst bits.

There is a petition going around to get the State of California Commission on Judicial Performance to look into what reason the judge would have to say such a thing.

—————————————————————————————-

Okay, now the longer and more horrifying version: A three-year-old girl wandered into her family member’s garage while he was playing video games, and he became aroused and sodomized her.

I’d read some of the articles linked on the petition. This judge is terrifying if he thinks some of the things he said are an okay way to “defend” doing this to a three-year-old girl.

Apparently, this isn’t the first time this particular judge has given a lighter sentence to a rapist [From the change.org petition I linked above]:

[Update] Some Change.org readers have noted that this isn’t the first time Judge Kelly has handed down a lenient sentence for a sex offense. In the prior instance, a California Highway Patrol officer was handed probation. (See http://www.ocweekly.com/2010-03-25/news/moxley-confidential-chp-stephen-deck/)

mildlymagnificent

I’m okay with a judge taking into account a perpetrator’s intellectual, psychiatric or emotional limitations when setting a sentence. That’s standard procedure for everything from shoplifting to murder.

I’m NOT okay with trivialising the seriousness of the offence and eliminating its impact on a victim to justify a lesser sentence. This was a 3 year old girl. I can’t imagine how this judge thinks that an adult man sodomising such a small child, boy or girl, isn’t a violent, serious injury by definition.

dhag85

@Tracy

It’s actually psoriatic arthritis, which is why my useless doctors were baffled for 6 years when nothing showed up in the bloodwork. My skin problems aren’t very bad or noticeable, but they’re getting worse now too.

dhag85

Wow! The balcony is sunny and perfectly comfortable temperature. And it’s only early April. 🙂

dhag85

Burnt my dinner. 🙁 Fuck it, I’m having those potato chips now.

Robert
Robert

Good news. Medicare has approved the oral medication, and I should be picking it up this afternoon. The official word is that they want his psychiatrist to monitor his reaction to that before they’ll approve the injectable form. My husband is grateful for the work I put into this; he’s great at a lot of things, but dealing with huge government agencies drives him to distraction. I’m the Bureaucrat Whisperer by comparison. That’s probably how I lasted so long at the VA.

Joining in the chorus of disgust at the judge’s ruling in that case. I have no words for how vile it is. Somehow, I would have assumed that sexual violence against a toddler was one of those things that nobody in authority would have defended. So much for THAT illusion. Almost as revolting as the man who was given a suspended sentence and put on probation for molesting his own daughter – because the judge believed that he would not fare well in prison.

I need to get out of the house. A walk in the sunshine will do me good.

grumpycatisagirl
grumpycatisagirl

Hi all, I haven’t been around here much lately – really really busy with my two jobs – but I needed to vent about something that happened today, and this seemed like the best place to do it. This morning, at one of the large libraries I work at (my newer job – only been there a couple of months half-time), one of the janitors, who is even newer than I am, yelled at me across the room: “Excuse me? Are you married? Do you have kids?” I said no and “why?” She said “just asking.” So I get asked these questions often enough, but usually as part of a conversation that is already happening, and because of some things in my past, I find both questions quite painful sometimes. I don’t think she would have yelled those questions across the room to a man she didn’t know. Anyway, I guess I should just shrug it off, but it bothered me all day long.

Myriad
Myriad

@Paradoxical That judge is just, wow. So, the little girl wandered into his garage so the judge thinks that the rape of a 3 year old is totes fine. Gee, We haven’t heard that reasoning before. Signed the petition.

@Robert I hope everything goes well with your whole family.

@grumpycatisagirl I understand what your saying. That is not a question one usually asks an acquaintance or most people in general. I never understood why people need to know that information.

Glad to see some people are doing well. For those who are having a hard time, here is a barrel of soft cuddly things and kittehs.

sparky
sparky

For anyone who needs some cute baby animals, here are some baby skunks:

Zolnier
Zolnier

@Paradoxical

I have no clue if foreign signees count, but I signed it. Didn’t give a reason because goddamnit it should be obvious.

The Knitting Cinephile
The Knitting Cinephile

I have nothing to vent about, but I wanted to give anyone here who needs it a big
(((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))
Because I give good hug.

grumpycatisagirl
grumpycatisagirl

That is great hug! Thank you!

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m moving in with my dad in June when my lease us up. It’ll be good to save up money for a few months. A task that just got easier because I just got moved to fall time with the potential for overtime. I’m hoping to get an apartment in October or November before the snow comes and makes moving too difficult.

The shitty thing is that my dad already has a cat and a dog and there’s only room to take one cat. So Darrow is going to have to live with my brother. He’ll be good to him and they really like each other, but I’m really going to miss the beast. I’ve had him since 2007. I also feel like a big loser living with a parent at my age. I probably could swing a place on my own right away, but after a rough year, I just want the pressure to be a off for a bit. Plus my dad wants a roommate. He says it’s for financial reasons, but I think he doesn’t like living alone. As some of you may recall, his fiancee died last month.

This will actually be my first time ever living with a dog. If anyone has good tips for introducing a cat into a home with a dog, I’d appreciate it. I have no idea if Dracarys has been around them before. I adopted her at age two and she was a stray so her background is unknown. Bailey is a very nice dog and she’s always lived with cats so it should be fine. I feel bad for Dracarys though. She’s easily freaked out and I think the adjustment period could be a bit rough for her.

Paradoxical Intention

weirwoodtreehugger | April 9, 2015 at 9:55 pm

I find that the easiest way to do it is to let it happen gradually and keep an eye on them. She’ll get used to it…eventually. She’ll be pretty freaked out for a while, but I think it also depends on the dog somewhat.

If they’re super excitable and are really too eager to play, it’ll freak her out worse than a dog who is calm and patient.

weirwoodtreehugger

I think Bailey is sort of in the middle. She gets really excited when anyone or any other dog comes over, but she does settle down. My dad’s cat is a nervous type too and she gets along with Bailey fine. Then again, she lived with dogs her whole life and Dracarys hasn’t. It does seem like cats usually get along better with dogs than they do with other cats. I’m just being neurotic. It’ll probably be fine after a few days.

Zolnier
Zolnier

Keep Dracarys in a separate room from the dog for several days, and then when she’s adjusted to being in a new place, begin introducing her to the dog in short, controlled sessions (beginning by just letting them sniff each other with the door cracked is good). Gradually let them spend more time together. If Dracarys does not begin to get used to the dog, start over and do it slower.

And nobody is a loser because of what their living situation happens to be.

Robert
Robert

Zolnier, as it does me. Could we be the same Category?

gilshalos

Sorry for missing that post dhag, and not replying to anyone for a coupla days. I was pretty manic then, and crashed about an hour afterwards.

Psioriatic arthritis ? Ow!. That sounds worse than my mother’s rheumatoid arthritis, and without my height changing she’s gone from just taller than me to a foot shorter 🙁

A cat being careful around dogs is not bad. My parents last cat was a feral one taken in young to a house of mixed cats and dogs before we adopted him. As the biggest of the cats he always considered himself a dog. After we’d had him a few years he appeared at 2am one morning with facial mauling and lacking all his front teeth. Vet’s best bet is he went to sniff at an unknown dog that bit his face.

On the other hand, I’ve known cats that bullied very big dogs into abject retreat 🙂

(Kali (Named by me after Kalimac which was Tolkien’s Hobbit language name for Merry) was fine after he healed, except his tongue always stuck out cos he couldn’t roll it against his front teeth)

gilshalos

And…my last comment got missed out cos I used pointy brackets. I said that he earned the shorter version of his name by slaughtering mice and voles.

Zolnier
Zolnier

@Robert

But-but, what will the Leader think of this?

Zolnier
Zolnier

My personal favourite YA dystopia is This Time of Darkness, because hipsterism.

because reasons
because reasons

This thread is about a week old, so idk if anyone will really be checking it but I had to vent somewhere and didn’t wanna throw another thread OT.

Was recently at my bf’s mom’s house for a bbq and somehow (maybe from something on tv) the subject of transgender came up. Bf and his mom immediately did an “Ew” and decided to explain why they were so offended by trans and gay people. I just braced myself for the stoopid and wave of nausea. They didn’t disappoint.

Mom couldn’t really articulate her reasons, but said it made her feel uneasy and it just “wasn’t right”. Bf chimed in that, in fact, trans people are “mentally ill”. Oh. M. G. They made a point of saying that “gays” are not AS bad, even though it’s still “wrong”.

Ugh. I tried my best to not throw a hissy fit or let my outrage become too obvious. These are people I love and I am horrible at confrontations anyways (my mind tends to go blank). SO I corrected them on the mental illness thing- I believe this WAS what doctors thought a long time ago, but not anymore. I said trans people were born into the wrong gender or body and they are simply doing what works best for them. And that gay people (and trans) don’t choose their “lifestyle” and most of the time have to pay a high price for coming out. I reminded them that people are harassed and killed for being known as gay or trans all the time.

They didn’t really change their view (and I didn’t expect them to) but changed the subject since they could see I didn’t agree with them and didn’t wanna hear it. I guess I just wanted a safe place to tell someone who would understand my disgust and you guys seem so knowledgeable about stuff like this. Thanks for listening!

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Yay, I got my apartment back to myself! At least until May anyway – but it’s nice to get a full night’s rest in my bed again. Sleeping on the couch was becoming unbearable.

On the other hand: a guy I knew for almost ten years through a mutual online friend, even talked to him on the phone occasionally, has pretty much went off the deep end recently (becoming more obsessive and incomprehensible with each argument we had). We are no longer friends. For whatever weird reason – he decided to get personal over…comicbooks. It wasn’t even the worst argument he got in, and he thought it wasn’t inappropriate to bring up private details in a place others could see.

It was specifically Frank Cho’s recent sketch cover of Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen (great superhero costume, BTW) doing the same pose as the unpublished Milo Manara cover for Spider-Woman. I was told it was “funny” – but it’s just a reference. I get that humor is often subjective but, for fuck’s sake, there’s some kind of standard. There’s a reason people point out the misuse of satire because, well, words have meanings and good humor comes with more context than “remember this thing?!”

The problem? The character is suppose to be 16 (though apparently she’s in college). That, along with the fact they made her have children with Norman Osborne in a really creepy retcon or The Jackal’s obsession with her despite being underage, is just another one of the several gross things done to the character.

Anyway, my former friend starts telling me that I’m a hypocrite about talking about the objectification of an underage female character. Why? Because…I occasionally mention actresses I find attractive and showed pictures of them I liked. Not sure how flesh-and-blood women who, of their own volition, decided to take part in a photoshoot is the same as a fictional hand-drawn character in the hands of a creator that can do all sorts of exploitative and degrading shit. It’s funny given, in other discussions, I’ve been accused of being “anti-sex.” Apparently you can’t ever win with these people – it’s all-or-nothing mentality, coupled with moving goalposts.

It’s made me reevaluate how I communicate online with others and what I post, because it feels unnerving to have people looking through posts made ages ago. All just to use as ammunition in an online argument (’cause that’s apparently reasonable). If someone is so willing to bring up personal details like that, out of nowhere and over such a petty thing, then I can’t help but feel more distrusting than I already am of others.

Mitchel

Wow! Apparently Cernovich feels like sort of victim?

This guy is arguably one of the biggest douchebags I have ever heard of. I feel ZERO sympathy for him whatsoever. Apparently it’s ok for him to make racist and homophobic tweets online though, right? I’m starting to question if my 3 year old nephew is more mature than him!

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@Rabukurafuto (and anyone else who’s interested) – I stopped by one of the local used book stores on a whim today and took a look at their SFF stock. And lo and behold, a Vox Day/Bruce Bethke novel AND Theodore Beale’s The War in Heaven (I think you said you’d read that one already, Rabukurafuto?) were there. The author portrait at the back of The War in Heaven is worth the price of admission all by itself. So dark and brooding.

I also found out today that a good way to make a personable, chatty young bookstore clerk turn quite and standoffish is to put two Vox Day books on her cash wrap. Should have worn a disguise when I bought those. 😛

I’m still going to town tomorrow, so I’ll try the enormous bookstore then and see if my lucky streak holds. Everyone wish me luck! Or not, since I *am* acquiring Vox Day novels…

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

quite = quiet. And I broke the Rebel Moon link.

I need to hire a proofreader.

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

Ah! Yes, I do have a pirated file of The War in Heaven. I haven’t heard of Rebel Moon before, but looking at a review it is a stunningly awful work even to fans of this Bruce Bethke. I was expecting copies of The War in Heaven to be floating around. I think it’s the first in a series so other books might be at the larger store.

I hope the bigger store has something interesting too. At least something to wash away memories of Beale.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

The bigger bookstore was awesome (I’d never been before), but sadly/gladly lacking in more Beale/Day. I found another couple of copies of The War in Heaven and Rebel Moon but that was it. I did notice that there was a fair amount of much more popular contemporary Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy written by mostly by women, though. That must chap a certain someone’s hide.

I did find copies of the first two Harry Potter novels, though, as well as Howl’s Moving Castle and Redwall. Once upon a time I had all of those except for Howl, but they went AWOL at some point and I’ve been meaning to replace them for a while. My daughter is also getting to the age where I think she might enjoy some more challenging reads, so I’m excited to give her some good stuff. I used to love the Redwall novels especially; I’m hoping she’ll take a shine to them, too.

Anyway, if you want either of the Beale/Day books I’ve got, Rabukurafuto, let me know and we’ll hammer out a way to exchange addresses. If you don’t want them, no worry, I’ll put them to good use (Origami? Collage? Compost? The possibilities are endless).

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

That’s…well, it’s what I was expecting. Beale’s books simply aren’t printed in large quantities; I wouldn’t be surprised if his latest books are solely released as ebooks. His Castalia House publishing is too minor. From the sound of it, if those Christian SF/F by women are conservative enough then Beale wouldn’t mind, unfortunately.

Quite a good selection there, and even if your daughter doesn’t take to them you can always revisit those titles yourself. I can harder remember the earlier Harry Potter books myself now.

It’s tempting. I don’t have The War in Heaven with a glowering Beale on the back. Both books look like they don’t require much effort to find though. How much would you like for them?

Recently I saw an article from Fangs For the Fantasy that was of the opinion that people shouldn’t even mock books by bigots like Beale or Scott Orson Card because doing so ignores the biggest issue: that they are bigots at all. How good or bad their works are is unimportant compared to that, and thus no attention at all should be given to them. I’m torn over this now because when I experience fiction by horrible people I really do want to read them for insight (and hopefully find something to laugh at). Fangs For the Fantasy makes a good point though, that to pay for books by bigots is like saying your entertainment is more important than the lives of those being discriminated against by said bigots. What does everyone else think of this?

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

That argument sounds like the flip side of “don’t conflate the artist with his art.” I’ve always had a problem with that statement, since so much of someone’s art is personal. How can you separate a filmmaker from their movies, or a writer from their books? Both are vehicles for a creator’s POV and ideas. Not to mention that if you pay money to consume their media, you’re financially supporting them.

So I can see Fangs For the Fantasy’s point that mockery and criticism gives Asshole Writers like Vox Day an extra signal boost. But I don’t agree that that’s always a bad thing. David gets a fair amount of drive-by commenters who like to scold him for paying attention to bitter losers and angry basement-dwellers. “Just ignore them!” Ignoring something awful can be taken as tacit approval, though, or at least indifference. That environment can just let terrible ideas flourish as easily as it can smother. The best disinfectant is sunlight.

Also, like you mentioned above, if you’re not reading someone’s work, you’re not learning anything about the author or their ideas. The dudes David covers here have reasons for what they believe; it’s easier if you can dismiss them as stupid fringe jerkwads, but they usually have some kind of eff-ed up worldview behind their rage and froth. If you’re focusing on the ideas within their work, and intelligently criticizing those ideas and/or refuting them as you move along, I think reading and commenting on Asshole Writers is a worthy thing.

I don’t know how you get past the part where you’re giving those writers a financial windfall, though, since you usually have to pay to get their works. :/

Anyway, my $0.02.