all about the menz evil sexy ladies grandiosity irony alert kitties reactionary bullshit red pill

My 5 Favorite Overblown Pronouncements from the Return of Kings post "5 Things Wrong With Modern Music."

Miley Cyrus, destroying civilization
Miley Cyrus, destroying civilization

I always enjoy it when weirdo ideological alarmists try to write about pop culture. There’s something that’s just so, well, adorable about someone spewing forth angry, pompus tirades, full of bluster and overwrought prose, on the alleged culture-destroying properties of, say, Miley Cyrus.

The recent Return of Kings post “5 Things Wrong With Modern Music” is a lovely example of this genre of criticism, even though one of its points, that modern pop music is too clinically perfect for its own good, and could use a few more rough edges, is actually pretty much on the mark. But even when what author G.W. Rees says is more or less correct, the way he says it is risible. Also, he’s wildly incorrect most of the time.

So without further ado, here are My 5 Favorite Overblown Pronouncements from the Return of Kings post “5 Things Wrong With Modern Music.”

1) “Have you ever seen a room full of women in their twenties singing along to filth this shameless, while grandmothers stare catatonically on in horror, parents guffaw and smirk in direction of the floor, and the more “enlightened” boomers laugh delightfully as if the behaviour their daughters are displaying is of no significance at all?”

I’m going to go with “no” here.

2) “Whores, whores, and more whores. It seems like every other contemporary popstar parades herself with more zeal than a common street hussy.”

“Hussy.” Haven’t heard that one in a while, but then again I don’t usually spend a lot of time hanging out with 90-year-old  misogynists.

3) “A dystopia where all things sexual have been reduced to an amoral form of childish amusement, and the segment of the population who have historically been the nurturers and caregivers of a society have decided to shirk the honourable traditions of their forebears and turn feral.”

It’s true. Most female pop stars are not socialized to humans and do not feel comfortable around them. They do not like to be touched. They are unlikely to “meow” in their attempts to communicate with humans. Many live in colonies with other feral pop stars.

4) “Blue jeans, fast food, Walmart, Hollywood, suburbs, and…”sick beats.” These are all emblematic of the colossally hideous Jabba The Hut-like behemoth—known as globalization—currently devouring tradition and genuine cultures.”

So you’re complaining about Hollywood colonizing the world … using a metaphor based on Jabba the Hut, a character from a blockbuster Hollywood movie that colonized the world?

5) “[T]he broadcasting of such content via mass media in conjunction with the female proclivity towards herd mentality spawns a toxic synergy. Such a combination ultimately results in debased sexual moral standards for young women and the normalization of slatternly behaviour, in turn sowing the seeds of cultural rot and the decline of our once mighty civilization.”

Ok, but it’s got a good beat, and you can dance to it. I give it a 72.

Oh, and speaking of Miley (which at least one of these quotes was doing), she’s not the only one destroying culture.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

I’m confused, why is Roosh complaining about women being “sluts” and “whores”? Isn’t he a PUA? Doesn’t he basically thrive off of the — supposed — promiscuity of women? If anything, you would imagine he would want women to be more “slutty”. He goes around trying to sleep with with women and when he succeeds he denounces all women as being promiscuous, but when he fails he gets all indignant and blames modern society for making women uninterested in him. It’s as if Roosh himself doesn’t even know what Roosh wants.

Radioactive Elephant
Radioactive Elephant

Bear:

Haven’t these things all been around for decades already???

Well, I know Jeans have been around for 140+ years… So maybe this guy is immortal!

Tessa

GRAW!! That should be from me! Ignore the elephant! Ignore it!

ktrantingredhead

-sings- My heart says yes but my vajayjay says no

ryohji
ryohji

So let me be sure:
-They Don’t like women.
-They don’t like modern pop music (What will happen the day they listen to very experimetal genres? Will they explode listening to Aphex Twin?).
-They don’t like to sex for the fun of it.
-They don’t like modern pop culture and all it stands for.
Welcome to the 50’s… the years 1850’s.

misseb47
misseb47

The main message I got from Roosh’s ‘article’ (or rather a long, drawn out, whiny rant) was that it is ok for men to objectify/sexualise women and make degrading songs about women (which a lot of music did in the ‘olden days’ and still does), but it is wrong for women to sexualise themselves. And that feral cats are pop stars, of course.

Jo
Jo

There’s only a contradiction between RoK’s advocacy of ‘traditional morality’ for women and RoK’s advocacy of PUA game for men if women’s consent and agency is taken seriously. Discount that and the contradiction goes away.

Hambeast (formerly twincats)
Hambeast (formerly twincats)

I think the apparent inconsistencies may be due to an unwritten assumption that rooshie is talking about the women he isn’t interested in sleeping with here. The women who should be settling down and raising kids, to his way of thinking.

Or, he’s just getting old.

friday jones
friday jones

Didn’t bluejeans, Hollywood, and suburbs exist in their fully appreciated glory during the halcyon days of yore known as the Golden Fifties? Could have sworn that the icons of the time were all over that stuff. James Dean and John Wayne worked in Hollywood AND wore jeans! Misandry!

friday jones
friday jones

For the eclipse, try sitting in a place where the Sunlight is coming through a bunch of leaves, like under a tree, because a really cool phenomenon happens where all of the holes that the Sunlight is shafting down through become natural pinhole cameras, so you see thousands of little eclipses all over the ground.

Hambeast (formerly twincats)
Hambeast (formerly twincats)

Erm, it’s late here and I am tired. What I mean is that it’s a dig at average looking women. Because beer-commercial good times are for the alpha Dudebros and the HB 10’s.

mildlymagnificent

I love how he assumes that old people are looking on in abject horror.

Well, my husband was born in 1942, so I suppose that counts as “old”. (He was 41 when our youngest was born.)

And yes, he does have some serious reservations about modern music. In his old, curmudgeonly view, the deaths of Jimmy Hendrix and Janis Joplin signified the death of the “great” period of rock music. (That would mainly be because he more or less ignored modern music for twentyish years until our kids got to their teens.)

Anyone who thinks that a person who regrets missing out on Woodstock would agree with these killjoy opinions needs to have a quick review of modern music – from Bill Haley onwards.

Spindrift
Spindrift

I get the sense they want as much sex as possible, but they want the women to all be virginal all the time. Lots of misogyny in the idea that women become tainted by sex, but also lots of misandry in the idea that men are so vile and corrupting that any woman who’s had sex with a man is devalued. Also, it’s literally an impossible setup without doing something drastic like killing or cutting the penes off tons of men so there’s less competition for those virgin women, or aborting male fetuses to ensure a future where there’s less competition. The numbers just don’t play out for their obsession with “purity”. But it’s easier to blame women than it is to do basic maths and drop their toxic obsession.

Also, complaining about modern music and comparing it to the greats of the past is kind of silly. The reason we remember things from the past is cause they were worth remembering, time was less kind to most of their contemporaries. Similarly, most modern music will fade from public conciousness and a few songs and artists will be remembered. Music is art, but it’s also a product created for consumption, and much of it has a short shelf life.

@viscaria “Did I do it right? Can I write for RoK now?”

You did alright, but points deducted for calling them women and not girls/females/etc.

Ælfscýne
Ælfscýne

I’m so annoyed with this pop music complaining. When my parents were young, The Beatles became famous and were, according to the older generations, destroying the youth. In my teens, my parents hated my choice of music. ATM, I don’t particularly like new songs either. My point is, it’s an endless cycle: kids rebelling and elders grumbling about music. This is nothing new.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

May we feed the feral pop stars, or will that encourage bad behavior?

It would be nice if humans and wildlife could live in harmony, but we all know what happens if feral popstars start losing their fear of people. They’ll start raiding people’s trash and they wont migrate to hollywood at the right time, causing ecological disaster. Luckily, animal rights groups and environmentalists have started a Feral Popstar Relocation Program–to bring problem popstars to a new habitat where they will live out the rest of their life in bliss, safely away from humans. It is by far considered the most humane method of dealing with such feral popstars, as the previous method used by Fish and Game was euthanasia.

Some say that feral popstars may carry off small children, but this claim has never been verified. We assure you, most popstars, even feral ones, are typically peaceful creatures; but should you be attacked, we recommend you play dead. The feral popstar is likely protecting his or her kits. Once he or she realizes that you are too pathetic to pose any threat he/she will likely let you go. If not, no popstar has ever been observed eating human flesh in the wild, so your loved ones will probably have a corpse to recover. We believe in looking for the silver lining. =)

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

Cats, bears, popstars, they’re all becoming a conglomerate in my mind right now. 😛

(I don’t really live in an area with a lot of feral cats, wolves and bears on the other hand…)

sevenofmine

@ Dreadnought

When people like Roosh talk about sluts and whores, etc. they mean women who won’t have sex with them specifically. Similarly, when they talk about how women always go for assholes, they’re defining “asshole” as “man who is not me”.

Also, I think that even in wider culture the words “slut” and “whore” are just labels you assign to women who don’t behave in a manner you consider appropriate. Ask someone to define “slut” for example. You’ll get something like “has a lot of casual sex” but then they won’t be able to put a number to “a lot”.

Further, I really don’t think these people are actually doing anything that could accurately be called “reasoning” about this stuff. It’s as if “rational” isn’t a thing you do but is, instead a state of being that they’ve achieved. Therefor, everything they already think is correct by definition. They’re actually just not ever checking any one of their beliefs against any other to see if they’re consistent.

Faulpelz
Faulpelz

All those baby boomers reminiscing about the times when nice girls would only sing along to nice songs, like “My Sharona”…

The most depraved song I know of is The Good Ship Venus – I’m not sure its possible to top – and thats been around for at least a hundred years.

Lisa
Lisa

Off topic I know but Robert Lindsey ‘jumps the shark’ for about the 20th time. Actually ‘jumps the moon’ would be more accurate.

In his belief system women can’t love men for reasons like: they because they are best friends, sexy lovers, wonderful partners, great parents together, that person that you want to be with and hold when something goes wrong, that silly smile you give each other doing ordinary things together and all the rest.

Now misogyists only want women because of their ‘hole’ and, for some of them, (male) children. But Lindsey has a theory than women only love men because they are ‘cock addicts’.

“The fatal flaw of feminism is the cock addiction. Many feminists are simply addicted to dick. Those that are addicted to dick simply love men. If you love dick, you love men. They go together you know. Of course I have known many feminist cock addicts in my life and I must say that they do truly love men a lot. There is a large part of them that really loves men. There is another part of them that is mad at us, but that is true of all women. Feminist cock addicts can never really hate men all that much. They love cock and hence men too much for that. Hence there is a contradiction that results in all sorts of cognitive dissonance.

I have never known a truly cock-addicted feminist whose hatred for men ran all that deep. Perhaps they would have wanted to hate us, but that cock addiction results in a deep fondness that all of the rhetoric in the world finds difficult to penetrate.”

Vanir (@Vanir85)

intended to undermine the male culture of meat-eating, thus undermining male power, thus reducing rape”.

And even if he’s right, if this was Adam’s agenda… if in the end it is all about reducing abuse of women – rape – why is it then a bad thing?

Is he actually saying that paleo-zealot manly meat eating men ARE misogynist monsters who rape more… but that this is a *good* thing (because biotroofs, I assume)?

Lea
Lea

My paternal grandfather got expelled from school for wearing pants that didn’t come up past his navel. My maternal grandmother wore lipstick (*GASP*) and ran off to L.A. as a teen and got a job as a soda jerk.

That was before the time of sock hops.

Young people having been scaring the shit out of their elders since time immemorial.

M.
M.

The fatal flaw of feminism is the cock addiction.

One point out of millions: Even assuming that he thinks male feminists are just “Beta cuck manginas” or whatever, what about lesbian feminists and asexual feminists? Oh yeah, we don’t exist. *rolls eyes*

FifthInterval

Vanir – these guys want women to be virginal with respect to everyone else, but succumb to the awesome power of their *own* maleness and be whores *for them* (thus affirming their fragile sense of their own power-oriented masculinity). Women don’t have any agency unto themselves, of course – their entire existence is one of reaction to male intent.

Lisa
Lisa

And:

“I have known many feminists who talked a great line when it came to fear and hatred of men but when all the chips were down, they fell prey to the cock every time.”

Maybe they actually liked you as person (sod know why) and then felt free to ‘let their hair down’ sexually with because they liked and trusted you…..you moron . And then he abused that trust.

Lea
Lea

Only women who like cock can love men? So lesbians and asexual women can’t love their male family or friends? Wives can’t love husbands who lose the ability to sustain an erection or who never had cocks in the first place?

That guy’s head sound like a horrible place to walk around in.

Sex does not equal love. Liking sex is not being addicted to cock. Sex is not all about piv intercourse.

Kee-Rice-st, these guys could not make themselves sound more miserable, ignorant or worse in bed.

Lea
Lea

Translation:
He knows several Katies.

Feminism is just cock starved women lying about hating men for reasons.

Eventually though we are stalked and predated upon by peens (because women can’t desire and seek sex, even if they are addicted to it?), proving we were lying all along about inequality and rape.

LOGIX!

sunnysombrera

“For youth and elde is often at debaat.” – Geoffrey Chaucer.

zyvlyn
zyvlyn

I’m beginning ro understand that when people complain about “________ is destroying our culture!” what they really mean is that whatever they put in the blank (rock and roll, violent movies, video games, feminists, etc.) is destroying the relevance of THEIR culture to the culture as a whole.

After I started thinking about it like that, the continued alarmism in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary made sense.

Ellesar

ROK does seem to provide a rich seam to manospherian nonsense to mine for mockery. Maybe they have competitions to see who can come up with the ‘worst ever’. I am beginning to suspect that it is all about the money. Obviously they hate women, but if they didn’t make money from it I don’t think they would try as hard.

I have determined that I shall NEVER go on the site again, however irritated I may be by their constant desire to say ‘women are shit’ in a million different ways because I just do not want them to have anymore hits.

Charles RB
Charles RB

Yeah, that Elvis fellow just isn’t cricket.

I could go further back to swing and jazz or the bloody music halls.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Where are these multigenerational clubs and parties full of grandmas, parents, and daughters?

Or is he complaining because they played “YMCA” at his cousin’s wedding and someone’s ankle was clearly visible?

sowing the seeds of cultural rot

I just ordered some Cultural Rot seeds from the Burpee Catalogue. “Harlot’s Glory”, “Heirloom Strip Mall” and “Britney Spears Fantasia Mix”. Going for first prize at the county fair this year!

taitaisanchez

I wonder if the entire MRA movement has been one really long viral marketing scheme for Nicki Minaj’s Anacadona single. Because after reading that list I just want to blast it as loud as I can.

Scarlettathena

I really don’t want to read that Robert Lindsey guy – it sounds terrible.

I get that his view of women is pure projection, but I wonder what he’s experienced in life that he interprets women in this way.

I have to admit, I have a sort of fascination with bad faith arguments and projection. So, I wonder what led him to interpret some women’s words as fear and/or hatred of men and then cock addiction. Could it be that a woman admitted she was afraid of strangers when she was walking alone at night? Or even in the day? (I altered a walking route because of a creepy guy that hung out on the trail where I walked. Thankfully, he hasn’t been seen in years. Does that make me “afraid of men in general”?) Did the woman in question say she hated some specific men or some stereotypical male behavior?

In any case, one thing I think is true in general is that there are lots of people who have half-formed thoughts that they don’t articulate well when put on the spot. It has taken me years to figure out the nuances of some of my beliefs so I think I can express them on the spot, but how many people have the leisure and desire to do that?

Sorry for the long post, but I have a big problem with people who try to put labels on others and point out problems in society related to said others without any sort of self-examination. A poorly worded answer to an on-the-spot question which is then filtered through a lens of projection and then dissected ad nauseum is not a basis for meaningful discussion.

Chaos-Engineer
Chaos-Engineer

I wonder how old this guy actually is. One of his gripes is “Men Don’t Sound Masculine”, complaining that there are “modern” male vocalists who don’t have deep-pitched voices. That means he’s from an era before Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, so pre-1962.

Then I looked around on Wikipedia for a few minutes and found that he’s probably from sometime before the 17th Century

At this point I’m wondering if this is a serious article, or if he’s just reprising Mel Brooks’ 2,000-year-old-man schtick.

sagamanus
sagamanus

@Ellesar – Some of us are going to have to go there to keep tabs on them though. I will agree with you on them saying the same thing in a million different ways. Constantly trying to repackage their bullshit. I guess they’re only trying to change the language so people can see their positions in a favourable light until something sticks.

Annie Squidface

“Damn feminists, get off my lawn! I swear to god, if I get one more frisbee in my yard I’m going to open a store!”

theluckyfrog
theluckyfrog

Thing is, if you pull the misogyny out of this Rees guy’s post, I don’t disagree with any of what’s quoted. I am actually really sick of pop culture reducing sex to a transaction of women’s beauty for men’s money– and the message that seeing a prospect with more of either immediately negates any obligation to the person you’re with at the time. By hip hop *especially* but kind of by everything right now, women’s bodies have been totally comodified and men are just dispensaries of cash and fancy toys. It’s certainly “an amoral form of childish amusement”; Rees only goes wrong in blaming women exclusively and including a strong vibe of Madonna-whore rhetoric.

And from what I’ve heard of Miley’s songs (admittedly little), she’s not the one pushing these themes so there’s that in her favor.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@ScarlettAthena:

“Cock addiction” is probably just “likes to have sex.” I think when you have an extreme interpretation of one thing (like interpreting a woman has fearing and hating men if she talks about being afraid to go out at night alone or does the whole “ugh, men…” thing), it drives your interpretation of everything else to the extreme as well.

In his mind, that woman obviously fears and loathes men, but she has sex so therefore her sexual desire must be strong enough to override those fears. Hence, “cock addiction.” Not because she has more sex than anyone else, just that she has sex at all.

For the mathy/sciency people out there, it’s like trying to fit a function to a set of points. If the function hits the first point at a really steep angle, it has to rebound in an extreme way to hit the next point, and you end up with a function that hits every point but is super hilly and obviously not the simplest function you could fit. Assuming one extreme to explain one trait drives you to an extreme explanation for others, even if the things you’re trying to explain are just normal, everyday things.

Robert
Robert

Buttercup, I would love a bed of Harlot’s Glory in my front yard.

Robert Lindsay is a disgrace to his first name. And his peen.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

zyvlyn – That’s a really smart way to look at it.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Luckily for all the cock-addicted feminists out there, there is a safe, generic alternative to the pure stuff called a “dildo” and it’s available for purchase without the inconvenient side effect of being attached to a man who may have opinions about whether and how often and with whom you should have sex!

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

#5 sounds like one of those song intros where some old style announcer reads something serious and then a beat starts up and it turns into the real song. Hopefully in this case it’s one of these sexy young women that so horrify the dudes of RoK.

Scarlettathena

@Kirbirywarp

You are probably right. I imagine a scenario where this man is out with a woman who likes and is attracted to him. (She doesn’t know what a douchenozzle he is.) She complains a little about some dude at work who harasses her and how she dealt, or didn’t, with it. She jokes a little about men in general, maybe even with some irony and thinks he gets what she means. Maybe she admits that she sometimes walks to her car with her keys between her fingers because the parking deck is poorly lit and she saw some creep in the elevator. That night, they sleep together and she appears to enjoy herself.

Translation: she was full of fear and hatred to men and because she has a job she must be a feminist. He cock addiction cut right through all that though.

Of course, this is presuming the woman was out with him. Maybe he heard his mate’s girlfriend bitch about a coworker and admit to being afraid of some dude on the street. She sleeps with his friend though so she must be addicted to cock.

Basically, I’m just picturing your average woman who thinks some guys are pricks and maybe has some negative experiences with them and is afraid of some guys for specific reasons, but she likes other guys and sleeps with them. This gets filtered into: cock addiction overcomes feminizm!

Falconer

Yeah, that Elvis fellow just isn’t cricket.

I could go further back to swing and jazz or the bloody music halls.

Damn youth and their vaudeville with their tandem bicycles! In my day we kept pedaling within the confines of holy matrimony! And the empire was better for it!

Paradoxical Intention

I love it when shitlord comic book purists get their undies in a twist because their misogynistic viewpoints aren’t being validated.

I remember when they were all squawking that no one wanted female Thor, and it was going to tank, and we shouldn’t bother with it because it sounded awful.

And now Fem!Thor’s outselling dude Thor.

LBT (with open writeathon!)

*snort* Oh please. 1963. I don’t care HOW BAD music is, it does not compare to that arid wasteland between Elvis’s deployment and the arrival of the Beatles. It gave us shit like Gitarzan, and Puppet on a String.

Does anyone else imagine Rorschach from Watchmen writing this? I do.

RE: Chaos-Engineer

I KNOW RIGHT? A bunch of those old soul and doo-wop singers had guys with higher voices so they could round out the sound. And before that… well, listen to the opening credits and prince songs from Cinderella and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, the old Disney films from the 30s and 40s. The style of singing sounds kind of odd now.

And ages before that, you had castratos. Seriously, Bruno Mars has NOTHING on them.

Amanda
Amanda

What music do these people listen too!? Have you heard the American standards? Music then was dirty. Seriously, if you want a weird weird song, listen to the Andrews Sisters rendition of Hold tight/want some seafood mama. Then listen to the original Fats Waller recording, and youll realize what that song is actually about…

LBT (with open writeathon!)

RE: Paradoxical Intention

And now Fem!Thor’s outselling dude Thor.

That’s not hard. The mainstream US comics market has been staggering for decades. The whole “girls don’t read comics” bullshit was basically invented in the 60s–back in the 40s, 90% of girls read comics according to one poll. (I read it in a Comic Book History of Comics!) And then you had the whole ‘romance’ genre of comics that were popular for a while.

I love comics, but sometimes, I wish I could take a spritzer bottle to the self-righteous fans who act like an entire genre belongs to them.

Paradoxical Intention

Why do asshats keep assuming that feminism and hatred of men are one and the same? Why do they also assume that lesbians, bisexuals who don’t experience attraction to men, or asexuals aren’t a thing? For fuck’s sake.

Of course transmen/transwomen aren’t a thing either. No, we feminists just love COCK, and thus that means we love MEN.

And of COURSE he says that women love cock, and thus love men. Because men are only the sum of their genitals, amirite? Such projection.

You’re gross.

Yeah, and it’s on your end.

THAT’S BECAUSE WE DON’T HATE MEN, JACKASS. NEVER HAVE, NEVER WILL.

Not liking (or hating) what men do, or not liking (or hating) specific men (like you), does NOT mean we “hate all men”. Pull your head out of your ass and stop listening to your ever-echoing poop chambers.

If you’d actually speak to a feminist (and not hand-wave her feelings aside as her “not being a real feminist” because she doesn’t fit your narrow-as-fuck world view or be otherwise condescending and assume she’s in the wrong), all this shit would be apparent. Transparent, even.

Tessa

Paradoxical Intention:

And now Fem!Thor’s outselling dude Thor.

Their new party line is that it’s because of her secret identity. If people knew WHO Thor is (though they often use disparaging and misogynistic ways to refer to her), they’d never buy it! This is tandem with them saying how stupid the story is because it’s so obvious who Thor is and it’s no mystery at all.

Chaos-Engineer

That also fits him thinking Jeans are some newfangled invention ruining society.