#gamergate antifeminism cuteness dark enlightenment davis aurini dawgies literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever oppressed white men post contains jokes post contains sarcasm racism reactionary bullshit red pill sarkeesian!

Candid photo of Davis Aurini, white nationalist on paper

Aw, who's a little racist? You're a little racist! Please poop on the paper please.
Aw, who’s a tiny racist? You’re a tiny racist! Please poop on the paper please.

Davis Aurini, the bald half of the Sarkeesian Effect brain trust, has famously declared himself “a huge white nationalist on paper.”

The candid photo above, which I definitely did not assemble using photoshop ten minutes ago, reveals that this is not entirely true. He is, in fact, a tiny white nationalist on paper.

NOTE: When I say that I “definitely did not assemble [this photo] using photoshop ten minutes ago,” this should be taken to mean that, yes, I did in fact assemble this photo using photoshop ten minutes ago. I spent a few minutes of this lovely spring day crudely photoshopping a swastika armband onto a puppy. This is the sort of sacrifice I make for this blog.

Wetherby
Wetherby

And where do mixed-race people go? The US, presumably, but that’s a pretty massive forced-deportation campaign.

Fabe
Fabe

@Buttercup

His solution would be most likely to send everyone “Back where they came from” or where ever he thinks they’re from,Anyone of Japanese decent would be force to move to Japan ,Blacks back to Africa . He would not however required White people to move back to Europe and north america return to the Natives because that would be silly.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Yeah, I think the first thing that would have to happen in his scenario is removing all the non-Native American people from the Americas, but he doesn’t want that, because surprise, turns out he’s a white supremacist.

Shock!

Fabe
Fabe

He would really hate the “Shadowrun” sci-fi/fantasy roleplaying game. The Natives were able to retake much of North America after magic returns to the world.

Binjabreel
Binjabreel

Re racism in skyrim:
I remember digging into the console SPECIFICALLY so I could murder that racist piece of shit who wanders around Windhelm and is inexplicably marked as an essential NPC.

weirwoodtreehugger

Can I stay in the US because I have some Native American ancestry? Do I go to Norway, England, Germany, France, Sweden, Ireland or Scotland because I have ancestry from those places? Do I just go anywhere in Europe because I’m white? Or do we all squeeze into Sub-Saharan Africa because that’s where modern humans originated? It’s all very confusing.

Wetherby
Wetherby

I’m quite happy to pop over to Ireland to resettle in a more ancestrally appropriate environment, but I fear that it could get quite full.

Film Runner

@Fabe

Someone earlier mentioned people trying to use D&D as a model for race relations, and I just thought ‘why the fuck aren’t they using Shadowrun, which literally bases its fantasy racial politics on the modern day?’. Also for me and my student friends playing Shadowrun tends to be hilarious as UCAS is the name of the organisation us Brits apply to university through, but it keeps hiring us to kill people for some reason.

Paradoxical Intention

I wouldn’t mind figuring out exactly where my ancestry lies, but I don’t want it to define who I am.

It doesn’t sit well with me when someone (particularly a white someone) goes “Oh, I’m [fraction] [ethnicity], and [fraction] [ethnicity], and [fraction] [ethnicity]!”.

Mostly because I just go “I’m white.” and leave it at that, but also because it feels like it’s a cop out for some white folks to try and weasel their way out of accusations of racism. (“It’s not appropriation for me to wear a war bonnet! I’m [fraction] Native American!” But this person cannot name what tribe or region their “Native” ancestry is from.)

I can sorta understand going “I’m half [ethnicity] and half [ethnicity].” or some variation of larger fractions/percents, because that’s simple, and I can understand some PoC doing it as well, but as a white person, I try to leave that out of the conversation.

weirwoodtreehugger

Well, England and Sweden and Italy and Ukraine for example, all have different cultures. It’s nice to know where you come from and who your ancestors were. I don’t see how it’s a problem to be interested in your background if you’re a white person. If I hide from the Nordic part of my background just because white supremacists have a festival called Nordic fest, don’t they win?

I mean, if you don’t find genealogy interesting personally, that’s cool, but I’m kind of taking offense at the implication that I’m talking like a racist simply because I am interested in mine.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Yeah, my heritage matters to me, too, and I’m white. It’s not white heritage, though, it’s Norwegian-German heritage. My family was made up of poverty-stricken farmers in Norway; I’d prefer not to forget that part of my heritage.

One of the awful things slavery did was strip black people’s heritage from them. I’d be pretty hesitant to start doing that to everybody.

Myriad
Myriad

Seeing racism in my fantasy worlds always makes me want to pick up a sword and run to the defense of those being hurt by it.

Absolutely, I can say that I’ve gotten in trouble in Skyrim on more than one occasion for the same reason. 🙂

I can’t tell you how much I hate Ulfric Stormcloak for his treatment of the Dark Elves in his city, and then there’s the whole issue that Kajhiits aren’t allowed in any of the cities, unless it’s the player character. I mean WTF? Shouldn’t there be at least a small side quest where the player character has to prove that they’re worthy of entering the city at least for the sake of consistency? Or some side quests trying to combat the racism and nord-centric attitude in Skyrim?

Absolutely, I didn’t particularly like any of the Stormcloaks little less Ulfric because of their rampant racism. I got along with the Dark Elves and the Khajiit especially, good souls. Much more nice to hang out with outside the city than going inside. Yes, side quests along those lines would have been really nice.

Especially when she threatens me with my own fucking guilds. You can’t call the Thieves’ Guild or the Dark Brotherhood on me, Black-Brier. I run that shit.

True that. Internet high fives!

Sorry, I just got side tracked from the OP. What was it again? Oh yeah, nevermind. o_O

Paradoxical Intention

weirwoodtreehugger | March 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Sorry, that post earlier came out weird on my end.

I didn’t mean to imply that white people who are interested in their heritage are inherently racist, I meant that some white people use their heritage as a way to say they’re not racist when they’re called out for saying/doing something racist.

I personally feel weird about it because of that association, even as a white person myself. I have an interest in my genealogy, but I don’t want to make the mistake of going “What I’m doing is okay because I’m a tiny fraction of this race”, if that makes more sense.

Jarnsaxa | March 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I didn’t mean to sound like I wanted to “strip heritage” from anyone. I only meant to say that some people use their heritage as a way to try to get away with racist comments/actions instead of showing it the respect it deserves, and I have a really bad association with some white people who are very well aware of their heritage and the same white people being very racist.

Naturally, not every single white person who is aware of where they come from is a racist, I was simply trying to point out that I’ve seen it happen quite a few times.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

So at what exact percentage of Norwegian blood do I lose the ability to wear a bunad? Or is it based on residency?

Obviously that’s not a serious question, but really, I do not think it’s appropriate to police people’s identification with their heritage. That’s not the answer here.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s also because of racism that I don’t know what tribe my Native American ancestors were. We only know about it because we got a DNA test. Which explained why my mom couldn’t find any trace of her great grandmother before she married her great grandfather. Nobody in the family ever talked about it. So there’s a whole piece of our heritage kept from us. Not knowing what tribe your ancestry is is not necessarily a sign of racism.

Personally, I’m glad science is bringing to light what a lot of white families swept under the rug. That a lot of us have backgrounds that aren’t 100% European. Maybe it will start to help people realize that the notion of racial purity is complete nonsense. Neither immigration or interracial relationships are new things. They’ve always existed.

Paradoxical Intention

@Jarnsaxa: I don’t think it’s a matter of how much you’re of a certain race, so much as it’s how much you understand it, as well as how you go about identifying with your heritage. If someone who’s from that culture says “Hey, that’s not cool”, perhaps it’s worth taking that opinion into account. There’s more than likely a very good reason for them to say that.

I think there’s a massive difference between doing something with respect and with an understanding of what that thing represents, and doing something very disrespectfully and having people of that culture call you out on your disrespect, and trying to deflect it with “well, I’m part of your culture too, so why can’t I do it?!”.

There’s a way to do things properly. I’m part Native American, but I wouldn’t put on a war bonnet as a costume and parade around in it and get snippy if called out on it because I understand that’s not for me (because there’s more of other heritages in there), and because I understand what that represents.

There’s also the fact that sometimes that heritage comes from dark places. Some people with Native American ancestry came to be because their Native ancestor might have been raped or coerced into marriage with a white individual.

There’s lots of factors to take into account when talking about heritage from my own experience.

Honestly, I just don’t want to step on anyone’s toes here, but I think we can agree that someone taking on someone’s sacred or otherwise important traditions without any context and flaunting it like an accessory and claiming that it’s “honoring” them can be a bit hurtful for some people of that particular group, regardless of if you have ancestors from there or not.

Taking the time to learn about your heritage and participate in a respectful way is totally fine, and I’m not trying to say that it isn’t.

Simply deciding to wear it like a fashion accessory or participate in it with no real knowledge of the cultural context or importance is not, regardless of if you’re a decedent of that culture.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s just that you’re making the leap from someone talking about their heritage to someone using that heritage to try and get away with racism. As someone who identifies as white and has all the white privileges, I would never wear a war bonnet I didn’t earn. I loathed those racist sports team names and mascots even when I still thought I was all European.

I’ve seen white people pull the “I’m 1/16th Cherokee, so it’s not racist!” crap a lot too. But I don’t see how pretending I don’t have any Native American ancestry will help eradicate that racism.

Troy Brooks

You have to admire anyone who can sit through a Davis Aurini video, I can’t stand even 5 minutes of his racist, sexist crap.

Paradoxical Intention

weirwoodtreehugger | March 15, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I’m not trying to say that we need to pretend that we don’t have Native American heritage, and I apologize if it came off that way, that’s my bad.

What I was getting at is people using that heritage to try to deflect accusations of racism are racist and that’s not okay. It’s okay to say “I’m 1/16th Cherokee”, but it’s not okay to say that because someone said you’re doing something racist as an excuse or a defense to try and justify it.

I’m not saying it’s not okay for people to be proud of their heritage, I’m saying it’s not okay for them to use it to hand-wave their ignorance and racism aside when other people call them out on it.

Earlier, I said I personally am wary of white people who do try to bring up their heritage, because more often than not in my experience, these same people do try to use it as a way to deflect accusations of racism. Again, not every one who can say they’re a certain part one race and a certain part another and so on do, but it’s been that way in my experience, and that does make me a tad wary, and I don’t want to do that same thing by accident myself.

It’s nothing personal against anyone if they do know their heritage. I just see this whole “I’m such and such this ethnicity so it’s not racist!” quite often and I’m getting rather tired of it.

I’d like to leave the conversation here, though, before I put my foot in my mouth again.

Bina
Bina

I was always more of an Oz kid myself, which is all about nonhumans being sapient and worthy rulers, friends, and companions. Oh and little girls being fucking badasses.

Same here. Plus good witches and ruby slippers!

As for Tolkien, well…he was a professor of Old English in real life, and his Middle Earth is rooted in the cosmology of the Old Norse and Anglo-Saxons. So it’s going to have the very limited coloration of that period of history and its mythologies. If there are black people in it, they won’t be Africans, because those were unknown to the Anglo-Saxons. They’re going to be subterranean Dark Elves, trolls, etc. It’s an interesting world, but it’s not a very big one. And basing one’s racial views on it is just a steaming pile of NOPE.

Africans were unknown to Anglo-Saxons? Since when?

Amanda
Amanda

The storm clocks are basically storm front. Seriously, Ulfric storm cloak is basically a neo-nazi supremacists. All the nords are blonde, etc etc. Also was it just me or did anyone else find it weird that the /totally african race/’s bonus was….that they run fast? Like really Bethesda? Really?

contrapangloss

I’ll admit to really liking Tolkien. Seriously, the Lord of the Rings is getting me through the day, because I’m sick. and it’s nice to have something that I know so well to just play on a screen with gorgeous music.

But, he’s still problematical. I mean, his only ‘main’ female characters are pretty few and far between, and I could write an essay. Also, could not everything in ‘High Fantasy’ be a rehash of Tolkien? Please? Not all Elves need to be Tolkien’s elves. For reals.

Also, Africans were not totally unknown to Anglo-Saxons. Forgot where I read it, but people got around far more than people think they got around…

Spindrift
Spindrift

This may have some stuff on africans and anglo-saxons, black people got around a good bit more than some people want to believe.

dhag85

My grandpa did some genealogy when I was younger, going back to the early 1700s. It was a bit disheartening to see that the earliest ancestor he found had basically the same name as me, and lived pretty much nextdoor to my parents’ house. No wonder this family seems boring.

proxieme
proxieme

Re: Tolkien: He apparently really came to recognize the Orientalism of the Hobbit and Trilogy and had planned to write histories of the other parts of Middle Earth with the explanation the descriptions found in his earlier works should be taken as the POVs of the local/featured peoples.

I’m not sure if that’s mentioned in this article (I’ve read it elsewhere and don’t have the link handy), but seeing it reminded me of this line of duscussion.

Fibinachi

What?

Falconer

They’re called Redguards. They have a whole video game to themselves.

In Skyrim, Redguards have 50% resistance to poison, and they recover their stamina twice as fast for 60 seconds once per day. Speed is related to height, and while Redguards are taller than Bretons (at 1.005 to 1.000), Orcs are the tallest and therefore the fastest.

In Oblivion and Morrowind, Redguards’ Adrenaline Rush boosts three physical attributes, their speed, and their hit points for 60 seconds, once per day, and they have 75% resistance to poison and disease.

In Arena and Daggerfall, specific stats aren’t provided, but it says Redguards are better with hand weapons, hardier, and less vulnerable to poisons. Daggerfall also says they aren’t related to Nords or Bretons.

Fibinachi

… And they’re not african? If anything, they’re pretty clearly Japanese.

Falconer

But Ulfric does segregate the Dunmer and the Argonians in Windhelm and won’t lift a finger to help anyone but a Nord.

On the other hand, the Thalmor are an occupying force, and the Imperials are their running dogs.

That’s why everyone should bow to me, the Dragonborn. Also I can shout dragons out of the sky.

Falconer

Huh, I always took them to be African.

Falconer

Not going to defend Tolkien.

I do think Frodo’s story of trauma and aftermath is the best part of the book.

Fibinachi

Huh. That’s strange.

Guess war and honor obsessed culture always training to use swords read samurai-expy to me.

Falconer

Yeah, but they look African.

I don’t know. I joined the Blades in Oblivion and they handed me a katana. I threw up my hands and just went with it after that.

Thalia
Thalia

And it was time well spent!

freemage

kirbywarp | March 15, 2015 at 12:29 am

The problem with trying to do any sort of racism metaphor in a fantasy world with races of completely different species is that it basically plays into the hands of the Davis Aurinis. The most important thing for men like him is the core belief that human races are fundamentally alien to each other. When they interbreed (and yes, they would think of it as interbreeding rather than just… breeding…), the results are treated as bizarre as half-orcs in fantasy.

No matter how good of a message you try to impart by likening race relations between people and between fantasy species, it will still boil down to reinforcing that idea that people with dark skin and people with light skin are fundamentally different, as different as elves and dwarves. It still fails to attack the underlying assumption that is crucial to their worldview.

There’s also the aspect that all the species in fantasy and space opera games get specific racial bonuses to stats. This means that there’s an actual in-world reason for the basic prejudices. It makes sense to treat orcs like dumb thugs, because they are–the wisest orc is at best equivalent to an above-average human.

In Shadowrun, I actually tweaked my setting a bit to move away from using ‘game races’ as a stand-in for actual racism. The old sourcebook, The Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America, had a Chicago section, which basically declared that the metahuman thing got rid of the old-school racism that has always been a big part of the city’s legacy. I decided that was Neo-Anarchist propaganda, and that Chicago was actually one of the only places in the world where your ‘ethnicity’ still mattered at least as much as your ‘race’ in social interactions. (After all, this is a city where, in 2015, it can still matter if you’re Irish vs. Polish.)

Fibinachi

Hehe, Shadowrun.

“Not all metahumans are like x, but remember, trolls have a maximum charisma of 4 at chargen”.

Siiiigh.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Hmm, for ethnicity, my comment normally is that I’m part English, part Irish, part Scottish, and part German. (Usually followed up with ‘I argue with myself a lot.’)

Then again, my parents, grandparents, and most of my great-grandparents were born in Canada, and many of my ancestors were living in Canada since before it became a separate country. (The German branch was first; Poor Palatines who fought on the British side of the American Revolution, and kind of weren’t welcome in the U.S.A. after that. The Irish fleeing the Great Famine also count, though not by many years.) I’m about as Canadian as I can get.

Binjabreel
Binjabreel

Actually, to bethesda’s credit they’ve stripped a lot of the more problematic race-related mechanics over the years. I mean, as recently as Morrowind, trying to make a Redguard mage meant you were in for a hell of an uphill slog at first.

Lea
Lea

I can’t believe there are actually people on that article about the violent assault of the pregnant woman arguing that she should have said “thank you.” Because that’s the most important part, her not saying “thank you,” not getting beaten so badly she was put in th hospital. Because that is totally a reasonable response when a woman doesn’t thank a man.

Makes me want to do a Jay and Silent Bob only with a film crew and no violence.

Binjabreel
Binjabreel

Re: Amanda and the storm cloak/front-

Yeah I figure it’s meant like that. He’s even a charismatic leader with a powerful voice who leverages a legitimate crisis for his own personal power grab.

Paradoxical Intention

Falconer | March 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

Or at the very least give me a way to settle the issue myself no matter what beyond “Join the racist-as-oblivion Stormcloaks and kick the Thalmor out of Skyrim, or join the far more welcoming Imperial Army and keep the Thalmor.” I would like a way to deal with the Thalmor, considering how BIG of a deal they were made out to be.

The way I always figured it was that the empire (judging from talking to General Tullius and his second in command, Legate Rikke) didn’t like the Thalmor any more than Ulfric did, and were plotting a counter-attack when Ulfric threw his little fucking rebellion. So now the empire has to devote time and resources that they were going to use to strike back against their own people because Ulfric couldn’t keep his axe in its holster for five fucking minutes and wait for the larger force with more resources to hash out their plans.

Meanwhile, Ulfric wants to go stag against the Thalmor (because two of the elven nations that took the rest of the fucking empire to task against the itty-bitty force that is the Stormcloaks is totes going to go well), and he’s using the banning of the worship of Talos as a bid to gain political power, challenging the (former) High King Torryg to combat. I don’t doubt that he was going to do it anyways though, Talos being banned or no.

Binjabreel | March 16, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Re: Amanda and the storm cloak/front-

Agreed. I don’t think he really gives a fresh skeever’s ass if Talos worship is banned. If you talk to Hadvar’s uncle in Riverwood, he talks about how it wasn’t a big deal until Ulfric raised hell about it. Then the Thalmor had to come in and enforce it.

LBT (with open writeathon!)

RE: PussyPowerTantrum

or alternately ones with truly alien beings who are distinguished by more than cultural differences and prosthetic noses.

Yessss. I love hearing about alien or fantastical beings that truly feel different. (Well, except the sidhe. I often just find them horribly obnoxious.) I also find it weird that the term ‘fantasy RACE’ is so widespread. Are they actually different species and unable to interbreed? Or are they actually races of humanity, in which case, why are they so different?

Elliot Rodgers. I’ve been reading his “manifesto”

D8 WHY WOULD YOU INFLICT THAT ON YOURSELF. Ech!

The true horror of Elliot Rodgers’ narrative may lie in how drearily familiar it is.

Enh, it’s not really surprising to me. I have always believed that evil is above all banal. Our life wasn’t that far removed from Elliot Rodger’s, just with a little less money and a lot more rape. It’s all the same in the end.

RE: Amanda

The storm clocks

I know it’s a typo, but I randomly imagined this as being some sort of “5:49:01 until the white race dies out” kind of thing. That or something Boston would sorely love to have had this winter.

Falconer

And I’m wandering around like, could you please all just sit down and shut up, I’m trying to stop the draco-apocalypse here. Except then I go all Oooh shiny! and wander off. Alduin is patient.

(Going from Skyrim to D&D has confusing potential, because what D&D used to call half-dragons it now calls dragonborn.)

fromafar2013

Yes! This! There are a few mods that try to recreate this notion, and I play them to make myself feel better about joining the Imperials, but having this option in the original game would have been awesome. Defeat Ulfric AND drive out the Thalmor = best case scenario, IMHO.

I definitely noticed that too. Even the Jarls that sided with the empire don’t like the Thalmor. The Blades don’t like the Thalmor. NO ONE in Skyrim actively likes the Thalmor! Even some of the high elves in Winterhold expressed distaste about the entire affair. They’re as bad as freaking Alduin and we don’t get to directly confront them except in a tiny part of the main quest before it veers off in a totally different direction. *sigh*

LBT (with open writeathon!)

Aw, I don’t play Skyrim. I feel so left out. 🙁

(And to add insult to injury, we lost EVERY SINGLE ONE of our video games due to postal fail a few days ago. The only one we have left is Gigi’s copy of American McGee’s Alice. FFFFFF.)

I heard about that. Sucks. Any chance of getting reimbursed?

Falconer

Aw man, LBT, that sucks.

Robert
Robert

Wordsp1nner – I actually finished Iron Dream. Hoo-boy. It didn’t get any better as it went along. Part of what made it such a compelling piece of work was how close it kept to the Heroic Fantasy blueprint – which was part of Spinrad’s point, of course. I found a library copy that included a boss preface by Theodore Sturgeon, which was a lot of fun.

Regarding fantasy races – one of the irritating things about the Belgariad/Malleoreon series by Eddings was the precisely delineated realms. Here is Cherek, where everybody is a big, hairy Viking, next to Arendia, which is knights and archers and feudal peasants. Oh, look, a vestigial Empire, with white marble buildings and legionaries and scheming, corrupt courtiers! Diana Wynne Jones skewered this sort of nonsense in “The Tough Guide to Fantasyland” quite nicely.

In my D&D campaign, I fixed a few details. E.g., dwarves and elves get along just fine, some Orcs are good, and many cities are run by the merchants. The half-elf population was significant enough that there was a small town founded by and for half-elves, called Hatikvah. None of the players ever objected to all the revisionism.

fromafar2013

@ LBT

Oh NOOOOOOOO, gods above I’d cease to function for a moment if that happened to me. Are you strictly a console gamer? If not I can try to share some of my Steam games with you if you have a computer that can run them.