empathy deficit memes memesplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny PUA return of kings rhymes with roosh taking pleasure in women's pain that's not funny!

Return of Kings featured commenter: Women "fail" at suicide because they're "incompetent … attention whores."

Today, a meme that’s so vile I’m going to hide it behind a link.

Roosh V’s Return of Kings site describes itself as “a safe space on the web for those men who don’t agree with the direction that Western culture is headed.”

Apparently these guys don’t feel truly safe unless they’re saying horrific things about women. Like, for example, this meme, taken from the “featured comment” in the discussion of a recent ROK post, which suggests that women “fail to properly kill themselves” because “women are incompetent.”

And it gets worse from there, which is why it’s behind a link.

Congratulation, ROK meme-maker! You have managed to trivialize suicide, insult women, and weirdly glorify men who kill themselves.

Suicide, not funny.

If you’re in the US, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline if you’re feeling troubled. Call or click on the graphic below to get help. Or click here to find out how to volunteer.

6fbdc1c69608e3d0a017b018a1c88e50b5b9b4ca_original

H/T — r/TheBluePill

misseb47
misseb47

Sorry about the block quote fail again.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

You know that old trite stereotype, Daddy beats Momma, Momma beats Child, Child beats Baby, Baby beats the dog? Well, the Pearls are that in a nutshell. If you read Created to Be His Helpmeet (or Libby Anne’s summaries), it is very clear that Michael Pearl is an abusive husband, and the pair wrote a *very popular* book that basically says real men are abusive, and if you try to stand up for yourself, he’ll leave you and you’ll end up living in a lesbian relationship in a duplex (which possibly wins the award for least scary threat ever).

They also wrote a child abuse manual promoting beating your children into mindless obedience. And then having the older children beat the younger ones. Or else they’ll end up as un-Christian drug addicts.

Sign me up for the lesbian duplex any day.

(Libby Anne grew up in a Quiverfull family, so she knows what she’s talking about. Here are her posts on Created to be his Helpmeet: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/tag/created-to-be-his-help-meet

And her posts on To Train Up a Child: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/tag/to-train-up-a-child

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

And we need this:

naltia
naltia

I had a yelling match with a former friend of mine over this topic. Another friend of mine abandoned their game in order to help an ex who was threatening to kill herself. My ex-friend then went on a rant about how suicidal people are stupid and should never call out for help, that if they really want to die they should just die.

Considering I’ve had experience with being suicidal, I took it personally, and let him know that he just insulted me and told me that I should just die. And I was very loud about it.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

The only person I know who committed suicide… I don’t think she told anyone (which is probably why she died). Her family knew she had bipolar disorder, and she was being treated, but bipolar disorder is a difficult disease to treat, and it wasn’t under as much control as they thought.

She left behind a husband and two young children.

I don’t know how she died–Mom clearly didn’t want to tell me and I thought it was ghoulish to ask.

he’ll leave you and you’ll end up living in a lesbian relationship in a duplex

If that was a sitcom, I’d watch the hell out of it.

friday jones
friday jones

Chant along with me! Oh, there’ll never be a clever MRA! There’ll never be a clever MRA! They’ve got a brain just like a flea, drive an ’86 Capri, oh, there’ll never be a clever MRA!

Spindrift
Spindrift

@katz “If that was a sitcom, I’d watch the hell out of it.”

Me too!

weirwoodtreehugger

Here’s a great little horror short about the consequences of trivializing suicide.
DAYWALT HORROR: Suicide Girl: http://youtu.be/2uoAPMjen0Y

It perhaps goes without saying, but TW for depictions of suicide. Non gory though.

sunnysombrera

One thing that pisses me off is that after the death of Robin Williams the dialogue surrounding depression and suicide still hasn’t changed. He was famous, rich, accomplished, beloved, had great family and friends and yet was still so miserable that he saw no other way. For the space of about a week people were saying “well if he of all people was that badly affected then I guess depression is actually an uncontrollable disease, not just a bad attitude” but a month or two later and a common response to mental illness is STILL “well be grateful for what you have” or “others have it worse” or “just get out there and do something”.

Such a wonderful star died and we’ve learnt nothing from it. There was a perfect opportunity to understand on a larger scale that depression is serious fucking business and it can affect ANYONE. But no. Let’s go back to the easy peasy square one in telling sufferers that they should just pick themselves up by their bootstraps.

>:(

Ellesar

Sadly, over the years I have known or known of quite a few people who have taken their own lives. Many of them have been women. Sexual abuse in childhood/ teens has often been a strong factor.

I think these guys are definitely in a rivalry as to who can come up with the worst possible memes/ articles. I wonder if they will ever look back and regret spending so much times being an utter waste of space, committed to making vulnerable people feel even worse. I would like to hope, but I think it is unrealistic.

Lea
Lea

I don’t understand this level of hate. I cannot imagine spending so much energy on something so vile.

lith
lith

@Lea:

Seconded. It takes so much energy to hate, and often it’s over some very minor difference between yourself and the other that is no real cause for conflict (meaning they can do or believe whatever it is without interfering with yourself and vice versa).
I see, “Well you’re intolerant too!” but the difference is that it’s an intolerance for intolerance and hate that often acts on and causes problems for other people.

sunnysombrera

@Ellesar

They’re starting to get to the point where I’m not sure how much worse they can get. With Roosh saying that rape on private property should be legal, Peter Nolan telling women to submit to men or face violence, and now this dude actually saying “Ladies if you’re going to try and take your own life please actually succeed at it”. He is literally wishing for women to die.

And they say feminists are the hateful ones.

Jordan James Fuller

Well stats say that women tend to use pills, slitting their wrists, jumping, or other “softer” methods of suicide. IE something that’s more likely for them to survive and/or someone can stumble over them to save them. Men tend to use “harder” methods. Like guns, hanging, or in some cases explosives and chainsaws. (Yes those last two happened. A burn out EMT, like had seen more then a D-Day vet, stole a 1.4 stick of dynamite and put in his mouth…. IT was effective. Messy but effect. And a guy took a running chainsaw to his neck. TWICE! And survived! Though he apparently looked like Frankstein’s monster because of it.)

Vanir (@Vanir85)

That link?

I wish I knew how to imbed images. Cause that needs the badgernope gif…

because reasons
because reasons

Um…thanks for the imagery, but can we not? Something about those last couple sentences really disturbs me, especially given the OP/meme.

ScarlettAthena

All the nope. I can’t even.

My stepson was one of the successful suicides after a few failed attempts, and a woman my husband and I think of as our honorary daughter (we are close with her mother and other sisters) is one of the multiple failed (thankfully!) suicide attempts.

Both of them suffered and she continues to suffer from mental health issues. She, as a woman, has been socialized to talk and share, and ask for help. As for my stepson, no talking, no trying to help him could get through. He was not forthcoming in general, but it was obvious that he had trouble reconciling himself with the culture of toxic masculinity.

These idiots using suicide as a political chewtoy make me sick.

Falconer

Oh god, we don’t need visual aids.

Should I click on the big David head and ask for a redaction?

Falconer

Crud, shouldn’t have quoted the parenthetical sentences. Sorry.

because reasons
because reasons

Falconer:

Oh god, we don’t need visual aids.

Glad I’m not the only one who found that description disturbingly unnecessary.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

He is literally wishing for women to die.

Well, I guess the next step in getting attention on the internet is to engage in eliminationist rhetoric towards women, minorities, the elderly, anyone with mental illnesses or physical disabilities – essentially, anyone who doesn’t resemble them or makes them uncomfortable in some way.

So many of these bottomdwellers have the mentality of “let’s cull the weak from the herd”. As soon as they smell blood in the water, they move in. “Oh, you’re a member of a vulnerable population? And you’re feeling vulnerable? Let me pile on.” It’s a cheap way for the powerless to feel powerful. They like to think they’re one of the Strong Ones (because somehow they’re magically exempt from time, accidents, disease, and depression) and therefore, as one of the self-appointed Elect, they should have the authority to dictate who should be part of the human race and who should be eliminated. It makes me think of Gandalf’s admonishment to Frodo – “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death…”

Ironically, people with this mindset are the weakest of all. Their souls are hollowed out by emptiness, anger, fear, and lack of empathy. They crumple to pieces at the very notion that different people exist. Instead of facing their own fears and inadequacies, they go the coward’s route and hide behind horrible, bullying “edgy” memes telling everyone else to go die. These are not people with a healthy outlook on mortality. They’re privileged hothouse flowers that would wither up if they ever faced real adversity.

Nope, they’re not the strong ones. You know who’s strong? Survivors. Anyone who’s been through hell and lived to tell the tale deserves respect. Anyone brave enough to fight unendurable pain deserves compassion, even if they lose that fight. Anyone who’s faced death, thought about it, wrestled with it, is much farther down the path of wisdom than these juvenile idiots.

Virtual hugs to everyone who’s been affected by this. Our society has a long way to go in its attitudes towards depression and suicide.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Falconer – Seconded. It’s not even the level of detail so much as the relish with which it was delivered.

sunnysombrera

Words of truth, Buttercup. I will never understand why some people think that being cruel to ‘those others’ is somehow praiseworthy. As much as I don’t think such bullies deserve to die, no way, they do deserve to have their platform taken away. Free speech has never applied to abusive behaviour, no matter how much these chucklefucks pretend it does.

Nitram

Christwriter:

Thank you for your post. I am in deep depression and just waiting for meds to kick in which takes weeks. Thank you for reminding me this will end. God, this sucks.

samantha

This one finally pushed me past my ability to tolerate, even a teeny bit, these monsters.

The idea of working together with women and men who are actually decent, egalitarian and creatively hopeful people to create a new society/world is very appealing right now. Perhaps it is time that we quietly walk away from these creatures and pay them no more attention. Time to stop feeding the rabid monkeys and focus more on creating the world we really want to live in.

When I look at what the menz have done to our green and lovely world…to the laughing children and exuberant adults…my sadness and anger threaten to overwhelm me. I feel as though I will drown in a sea of my own tears unless I can do something real and beautiful.

Kestrel
Kestrel

Nitram- if you want to talk about how you are feeling just let me know. I will give you my email. I have been there.

Paradoxical Intention

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I can’t remember who said it, but someone once said that survivors are the strongest people of all, because they know what they’re capable of doing/surviving. A lot of people live comfortable enough lives that they are never are in a situation where everything they are is tested. It’s not pretty or amazing when it happens. Hollywood lied big time about that.

I’m stronger because of what I’ve survived, but I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I think other survivors’/victims’ stories are inspiring, but the fact they had to be survivors/victims in the first place is awful.

I’m also of the school of thought that “survivor” is a label that has to be claimed on your own terms. It’s okay to identify as a “victim” for as long as you need to. You don’t have to be a “survivor” until you want to be.

Lisa
Lisa

And of course they hate transgendered people (why am I so not surprised). Look at this piece of filth, never let a tragic suicide get in the way of a good phobic rant.

{I’m going to report this to the various TG hate group monitoring sites, to add to the ones that monitor, like here, female hate groups.}

————————————————————————————
Major Trigger Alert.

Do not read this if you are TG and suffering depression or having suicidal thoughts. Ring a suicide hotline or your local TG support hotline/group if you are feeling that way and I repeat don’t read this because it will upset you badly.
————————————————————————————

It start off bad:
“SJWs like to argue that the high rates of mental illness and suicide trannies suffer from is a result of “transphobia,” but the reality is the reverse: people who become transsexuals are already mentally ill.

The desire to mutilate your genitals and take hormones in order to become an ersatz version of the opposite sex is indicative of defective brain chemistry. Studies have consistently shown that the pathologies of homosexuals and transsexuals start ”

It gets worse, Leelah was a ‘monster’:
“Finally, Josh Alcorn’s method of suicide displays how much of a monster he had become.”

And worse (I grew up 40 years ago, obviously I got over my transgenderism..not… no one ever does):
“As selfish and damaged as Josh Alcorn was, his narcissism didn’t bloom in a vacuum. If he had grown up 30, 20, or even 10 years ago, he would have gotten over his childish “transsexuality” and become a normal man. His twisted beliefs were fed to him in part by social justice warriors, backed by the leftist mainstream media.”

Beyond bizarreness, they hate Dr Who as well:
“While letting the world’s rejects start Doctor Who fanblogs”

Never let science get in the way of a good phobic rant (the opposite is actually true):
“In this specific instance, the mainstream media’s promotion of transsexuality was also responsible for Josh Alcorn’s suicide. There’s no evidence that sexual reassignment surgery helps trannies: in fact, the suicide rate of post-op transsexuals is far higher than that of pre-ops. ”

More of this ‘who cares about science’, maybe her parents could have beaten her every day to show how much they ‘loved her’.:
“While we can criticize reparative therapy as well as the other methods that the Alcorns used to try to help their son, we cannot deny that they had his best interests at heart. By trying to save Josh from a life of social ostracism and suicidal ideation, the Alcorns were showing just how much they loved him.”

Transgendered people are a ‘plague’ as well as ‘monsters’ now:
“By tricking impressionable kids into thinking they can have their poles turned into holes, social justice warriors and their media backers are exacerbating mental illness and suicide in America. Only by insulating children from their corrosive ideas—and fighting them every step of the way—can we stop the plague of transsexuality.”

Miss Andry

I can’t even. That’s just ghoulish. Fuck that guy. And everyone on RoK.

Corinn

Lisa, you should use donotlink for any sharing of ROK stupidity. They don’t deserve to go up in search engines or receive any ad revenue, because they are horrible, horrible people.

If anyone wants to read the above stupidity, I’ve already fed it through donotlink:

jaygee
jaygee

My S.O. is depressed and has suicidal ideation. He’s been better. Kind of off topic bu does anyone know how to prevent someone from purchasing guns. He was on a 5 year ban because he was committed, but that’s about to end.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer.

totallyalphadudebro
totallyalphadudebro

Slightly OT. In regards to the “women are all desperate for attention” myth, it’s a concept that is imbedded in our culture. It effects the way medical professionals treat women who suffer from chronic pain.
There are a number of factors mentioned here, but one of them is that doctors suspect women of exaggerating pain for attention.
P.S. Don’t read the comments- they’re full of MRA piss babies crying “wut about teh menz!”

Ellie
Ellie

“I think I’d actually respect the manosphere more if they just dropped the pretense and admitted that they are only about hating women.”

That’s how I feel about the “anti immigration” site vdare. You know, the one that was founded by an immigrant and has a lot of immigrant writers. I wish they’d just admit they’re white nationalist and are about pissing on non-white people.

AnyBeth
AnyBeth

How horrible! Not that the misogyny reported on here is nice, but this “suicide is for winners!” idea is a very special sort of awful for which I was unprepared. And yet it got me to comment, which I suppose says several things about me. Ah well.

Yes, the difference in suicide rates are at least mostly down to choice of methods. Guns are very effective as well as very quick. If you already have access to a firearm and ammunition, you could commit suicide without giving yourself any time to think.

Even hanging (provided you don’t have a long way to fall) gives at least a few minutes. And not a pleasant few. (Btw, last time I checked the stats, there was gender-parity at hanging. The big difference in the suicide statistics in the US is firearms and pills. And would be even if there was a large gender difference for the method, it being fairly rare here. No idea how the stats run in countries with more restricted gun access than the US.) Those few minutes saved me repeatedly, including once when another rescued me from my own delirious attempt to “wake up” from what I didn’t realize was reality.

On pills and poisons, while it’s true not many drugs commonly kill at anything like the dosages you can get in whole packages, there’s an even smaller set of substances that kill quickly enough that one won’t live long enough to regret it. Unfortunately, those most easily available in quantities such that kill tend to be those that do so slowly but surely. As bad as it is to have someone close to you with regularly suicidal ideation, I’m glad his preferred (and yet untried) method is substance-based and that he’s absolutely opposed to anything “unpleasant”. And that he’s a big guy, so even if he tried, probably not, and I’m glad of that.

Anyone who attempts suicide “for the attention” surely needs it, don’t they?

RoK-of-the-jungle? I’m sure they’d love to see themselves as lions (ignoring that the lionesses do the hunting and adult male lions are uncommon) and they already reference women as dogs, so they probably see lions as winners and dogs as losers. Solomon said something about that. To paraphrase: “Where there’s life, there’s hope: better a live dog than a dead lion.”

I figure that, about suicide, the only way to win is not to play the game. If you’re gonna lose, better to lose well so that some day you may win by refusing a game. Here’s to that real win.

because reasons
because reasons

totallyalphadudebro:

QFT. And it’s very frustrating. And I have to say that even IF people are exaggerating their issues, it’s usually so someone will finally notice and help them, not because they enjoy it.

Internet hugs to anyone needing them. Depression is exhausting and heartbreaking and still not easily discussed in the mainstream, even though it should be.

Linax5
Linax5

Everytime you think it can’t get worse…..

THAT human rights activist….

Linax5
Linax5

And oh, is there is absolutely NOTHING to blame if someone really wants attention, therefore a scream for HELP. That’s NOTHING to make fun about.

These people want people to regognize their pain.

But in their minds ”they are stupid attention whores”…..

Holy shit.

Dawn Incognito
Dawn Incognito

@Nitram

Please accept some Internet hugs from a stranger if you want them. You are a unique and valuable person just for being you. Hang in there.

I just got out of a period of very strong suicidal ideation. I can confirm that it does get easier, but that doesn’t diminish the horrible bleakness. I have become very good at finding reasons not to kill myself “right now”, and it allows me to hold on until the crisis passes. It doesn’t mean I feel well, but I feel well enough.

This entire nonsense about glorifying the suicide success rate of men makes me angry. It is harmful to suicidal men and women alike.

(I wonder how many of those successful suicides are current or former military. They are discouraged from talking about mental health, they are at very high risk, and they tend to have access to weapons. That breaks my heart.)

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

My fiancée has tried to off himself multiple times. He has had regular psychotic episodes.
He needs a molecule from his home planet of Lithium, now that he has such, he feels…somewhat normal.
Keeping fingers crossed, hoping the psychosis is gone, gone, gone. Nearly losing him sucks.

contrapangloss

Blahlistic, hope his meds help and he stays safe.

That sounds horrifying, and scary, and I can’t imagine what it would be like to almost loose someone you care that much about…

Hugs if you want them.