I admit it: I enjoy schadenfreude so much that I can usually spell the word correctly on the first try. And there’s a lot of schadenfreude in the air these days.
Indeed, I’ve been reading through the YouTube comments of the Sarkeesian Effect breakupvideos I posted earlier and chuckling quietly to myself, not just at the assorted skull jokes but at the unintentional comedy, including all the bizarre contortions some Sarkeesian Effect supporters are going through in order to pretend that this ridiculous breakup is somehow less ridiculous than it actually is.
As I can’t in good conscience ever recommend that anyone actually go read the comments on YouTube, I’ve collected together some of my favorite ones. Here are the Top 11 Most Unintentionally Hilarious YouTube Comments About the Sarkeesian Effect Breakup.
1) “This is good for bitcoin The Sarkeesian Effect.”
2) “Women like Anita are quite literally immune from criticism because of their gender,” he says, in the comments to a video about a “documentary” criticizing her.
3) “But mom, I love this bald White Nationalist On Paper with the skull fetish!”
4) Huh. Some of Aurini’s fans also seem to be White Nationalists, and not just on paper.
5) “In conclusion, women are bitches.”
6) By the way, before you criticise me, I’m a man.
7) “This could have an effect on the image of your documentary.” You think?
8) Yes, because “anti-Gamers” always side with racist, woman-hating PUAs over guys who criticize them.
9) “The enemies won’t be laughing when they have not one but two documentaries tearing up their shit.” We won’t?
10) Nothing to see here, move along!
11) Prove that Anita was wrong about the sexualization of women in video games and media generally by putting a porn star on the cover of your DVD!
BONUS COMMENTS: Here are a couple of comments that are actually funny on purpose. At least I hope the first one was meant as a joke.
Note: Comments 1-7, and the first bonus comment, are from here; the rest are from here. @PachiPortrait’s Tweet is here.