a new woman to hate a voice for men antifeminism creepy drama kings evil sexy ladies men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA none dare call it conspiracy sexual harassment

GQ hired a woman to attend A Voice for Men's conference last year in hopes she'd be raped, creepy AVFMer charges

Sage Gerard: Totallly not a creep
Sage Gerard: Totally not a creep

In his must-read GQ story on A Voice for Men’s conference last summer, Jeff Sharlet detailed an unsettling encounter between his friend Blair and AVFM’s “collegiate activism director” Sage Gerard, who, Blair told Sharlet, crudely propositioned her and gave her “the most unconsensual hug I have ever known.” (I wrote about it here.)

Now Gerard has offered a rebuttal of sorts to Sharlet’s article and, well, it’s nearly as creepy as the incident itself. Gerard admits that he was indeed flirting with her and that, yes, “[m]y talking to her included a reassuring knee pat and a hug.”

He also claims that Blair was literally hired by GQ in order to flirt with men at the conference and lure one or more of them into raping her.

Gerard starts off by declaring, with no evidence whatsoever, that Blair was a “plant hired specifically to flirt with men and get GQ a story.”

Then his accusations get even uglier:

Blair’s job was to get raped.

Jeff [Sharlet] wanted that to happen, not MHRAs [Men’s Human Rights Activists]. Blair would play Seven Minutes in Heaven if it got Jeff a rape story. She was there to confirm a presumption that MHRAs, MGTOWs or other red-pill folk are incapable of self-control and are ready to rape at a moment’s notice.

Happily for Gerard, he writes, he was able to see through this subterfuge in time, I guess, to keep from raping her.

Unfortunately for Jeff, I have an ability to detect manipulation, and I do not think with my dick. He calibrated his bear trap to clamp shut on a hug-trigger, which meant he could try to make me look like a pervert even with totally appropriate physical contact. Since he was obviously desperate to catch prey, his trap misfired and merely ripped my jeans without biting me to a standstill. Having narrowly evaded pseudo-journalistic “capture,” I can easily show you that Blair was, indeed, a trap.

He then proceeds to “show us” absolutely nothing  that backs up this accusation. After briefly describing his conversation with Blair, which (aside from the “reassuring knee pat” and unconsensual hug) dealt with a friend of Blair’s who claims he’s been falsely accused of rape, he wrote.

I never intend to sleep with strangers, but Jeff framed this interaction as me using Blair’s pain as an excuse to eat her out.

I have no idea where that last bit came from either.

He follows this with a bunch of rape jokes I won’t bother to quote.

I’m not quite sure how Gerard expects that writing this creepy-as-hell post will somehow make him seem like less of a creep.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner
Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

One thing that we should all remember is that these guys are like the Taliban, rape is not a crime for them. They don’t hate actions, only people. They hate you because you’re a woman or you’re not a woman hater; they won’t hate you if you’re a loser who lives off of his girlfriend, beats his grandchild and then shirks all responsibility.

M.
M.

@wordsp1nner

And now, all the anger inside me has melted into a puddle of d’awww. Awesome link.

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

The most disturbing part to me is that he thinks a woman would actually hire herself out to be raped. Like, rape really isn’t as bothersome as all us hysterical ladies make it out to be in order to ruin good men’s lives.

Catalpa
Catalpa

But… wait, I thought that under the despotic matriarchy that controls the western world, women just had to claim they were raped, without any proof given or asked for, in order to send a man to prison for fifty years. If this is true, then why would Blair have to get paid to get raped at the conference? They could have just paid her to say “yes I was totally raped at the AVFM conference”, and everyone would have believed her, because that’s totally how false rape accusations go! /sarcasm

brooked
brooked

To call this gibberish is an insult to typical gibberish. I now understand everything in the world a little less after reading this because many of my brain cells did not survive the encounter.

Hambeast (formerly twincats)
Hambeast (formerly twincats)

Maybe he thinks with his spleen then?

Hambeast (formerly twincats)
Hambeast (formerly twincats)

Hi blockquote monster! Guess I forgot your Valentine’s day present.

Bina
Bina

These guys seriously think any woman would actively try to get raped as a journalistic “gotcha”?

That’s even daffier than the one about helping a guy recover from false-rape trauma by writing a shitty poem.

Or the one about how Sage Fucking Gerard should be allowed to go stickering women’s campus washrooms with Menz Rightz crapaganda, and how no one should feel the least bit threatened or creeped out by that, oh noooooo.

Bina
Bina

And on a more serious note, I hope Blair, Jeff Sharlet and GQ are properly lawyered up. Because that right there is libel, Mr. Gerard.

M.
M.

Forget the libel, they should be going after him for the sexual harassment and assault, especially since he’s admitted it.

esp
esp

The reverse “logic” of these creepy fuckers is baffling. Plus, the underlying assumption that as a women she had one purpose being there…

Orion

It’s almost definitely not libel. You really can’t prove that kind of speculation about intentions well enough to establish that someone is deliberately lying. All he would have to do as a legal defense was argue that he believes what he’s saying, which I think he could do. Sharlet and Braverson probably count as “public figures.”

‘I think that ‘Sage Gerard’ is probably the least socially aware person ever.’

I wanted to highlight this sentence because it’s the kind of thing I used to believe, but after years of reading and observing I realise it’s not actually the case. I’m sure he’s totally socially aware, when it comes to interacting with other men. I think Deborah Tannen talks about studies/experiments demonstrating that men are as capable of reading and acting on subtle social signals, and understanding indirect language (like ‘is there any ketchup?’ or ‘it’s chilly in here’), as women are…but where women are concerned they don’t choose to. And they don’t choose to because they don’t have to. There’s no social penalty for them when they ignore these kinds of communications from women, because we all cut them slack–well, he’s just not socially aware, it’s not his fault. It’s like the men who try to justify their physical violence toward women under their control by saying ‘they just get so angry, it’s not their fault they can’t control their tempers’–and yet seem perfectly capable of controlling their tempers at work.

J. Schmidt
J. Schmidt

Uh, Sage, methinks you’re tipping your hand.

I admit it. I hugged her and told her that her friend might like a poem. And I would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for that meddling journalist and his talking plant!

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, because I’m the hug rapist!

Maybe I’m nuts, but I think Jeff Sharlet marginalized rape more than any rape joke ever could.

Sharlet describes Sage as behaving inappropriately touchy-feely. Sage interprets this as similar to a rape accusation.

What the fucking fuck?

What get’s me about Sage is a bunch of small things. For instance, this bit: ‘“I apologize for dragging you away,” he says. “I wasn’t going to feel okay until I talked to you.”

It’s creep to foist emotional needs onto strangers you just met. That’s the creepiness. Dude, the hugging isn’t the problem, the poem isn’t the problem, bringing her to more private space isn’t the problem: the fact that all of this was clearly about your emotional needs and what you wanted; despite the fact that it was ostensibly about her and her friend; was creepy as fuck.

AltoFronto.
AltoFronto.

Manurespherians are not “incapable of self-control and [ ] ready to rape at a moment’s notice”, asserts Gerard, despite not seeming to question the assumption that a) Blair *could* have lured one or more of them into raping her, because that’s a temptation to MRAs; b) he mostly avoided raping her by figuring that he would get caught; c) unconsensual contact is totally not a red-flag behaviour that needs to be addressed.

Y’know, I hope his online activities are sufficient to get him kicked off campus permanently, but then he’d just be creeping around elsewhere. The sooner they can introduce mandatory consent classes to universities the better.

And while they’re at it, they can introduce Discourse on The Otter as a major subject, too.

Orion

@guest,

I dunno. You’re absolutely right about the general case; abusers don’t have worse social skills than the rest of us, just worse ethics. Stepping back from abusers to look at sexists generally, it’s true that sexist men on the whole have the same social skills as egalitarian men, just less desire to use them for women’s benefit.

But Paul Elam’s friends aren’t your run-of-the-mill sexists or even your run of the mill abusers. They’re people who for run reason or another haven’t found a place in any of the many, many mainstream institutions that tolerates sexism. There are indeed savvy, genteel woman-haters in this world, but they don’t hang out on AVFM.

I recommend listening to Gerard’s tape of his interview with Sharlet. It’s weird as hell. Gerard has talking points and sticks to them, but the oddness goes even beyond that. He doesn’t seem to notice or care when Sharley has heard enough and is trying to start a new topic. He replies to several questions with complete non-sequiturs. Even when Sharlet actually concedes a point to Gerard, Gerard doesn’t immediately notice and keeps arguing it anyway. It’s a really uncomfortable tape that reminds me of “The Office” more than anything. It’s both a little distasteful how full of himself Sage is, and a little sad how much he just doesn’t get it.

autosoma

Being the kiljoy that I am, can I ask for the use of the invented word ‘rapey’ to be throttled back on as I feel it starts to detract from the real word and the real crime.

Kat
Kat

@tenya

Big ol trigger warning on this for rape, victim blaming, unconsensual “BDSM” aka violence and mild torture, general awfulness.

I agree, the one line mention of it in Sharlet’s article was enough to get my hackles up and this has not helped. I have the screaming heebie jeebies. Before I was ever raped, I knew how women were treated if they reported. After I was raped and my rapist ran to the cops because he was afraid I would kill him, the cops told me – a 15 year old girl – that I was just that kind of girl, and that I didn’t seem to realise what I had done to this ‘boy,’ who was 22. It was no worse than I had expected. After I was raped by someone else, I did not and will not report because a) I had slept with him before and b) I was in his bed at the time. I would wager I am one of millions of women who know that while what happened to them was indisputably rape, they don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting taken seriously or treated with any kind of dignity or empathy if they report. Any and all anecdotes about false reports ring my alarm bells, but especially ones where it’s like “she was just drunk and regretted it” or in this case “the bruises were given consensually, she likes being beaten.”

Another thing is that when I was young (15-17) and experimenting with BDSM, I found myself being beaten way past my tolerance from the off by super serious Doms who acted surprised and hurt when I managed to gasp out a safeword, or in some cases when I was unable to get out the safeword and just screamed and struggled until they took the hint. I’m sure they would describe that as consensual. One boyfriend hit me with a studded paddle, making the first blow as hard as he could manage which was very much not what I had asked, and as I was unrestrained I jumped out of his reach and safeworded, but he chased me round the fucking bed with the thing saying “you’re not getting away that easy” and I was giggling in panic, and he would definitely describe that as consensual. Another boyfriend was biting me lightly at my behest, and he suddenly chomped down on my nipple and through the skin. I shrieked but couldn’t move til he let go for fear of wrenching it off, it bled a lot and oh my god it hurt, all he could say was “I got carried away.” Again…would he view that as non-consensual? Unlikely.

I’ve also been ‘casually’ raped several times – like on two occasions with two different guys we were having consensual sex as we had before, it was fun, they were pretty decent guys to be with. Then they asked for anal, I said no, they disregarded it and acted surprised when I started screaming bloody murder. Then they sort of apologised and went back to what they were doing before – one of these guys totally ignored me when I asked for a minute to be curled up whimpering, and pulled me back into position instead. Or there was one guy who again, was fine, but he kept trying to put things up there while hoping I was distracted by whatever else was going on, to the point where I had to shout “LEAVE MY ASS ALONE!” at him and he got very sheepish but finally let up. I’m not traumatised by it as much as I am very annoyed, but you know, I told my mum about it in one of our many…uh like a masterpost but out loud, you know, long discussions about all the issues and all the dark things…and she agreed that similar things had happened to her many times. They’re still rape as hell, but you can sort of grimly see why the guys would be shocked to find we had gone to the police over it, and you can hear their protests and their poor-me narrative to their friends, and they weren’t overtly creepy or misogynistic so you can also see their friends believing it.

Anyway this terrible ramble has been a whole bunch of things that I really hope Blair, and anyone else who thinks they know someone falsely accused, takes into consideration.

Helen
Helen

“when you want to describe my stay in a prison hospital”

What’s Gerard’s ‘stay in a prison hospital’ all about?

Fibinachi

Hey, you laugh, but calibrating bear traps to go off on hug-triggers is actually pretty difficult. Right up there with calibrating spear-traps to activate on bee proximity and setting up a temple to crumble to dust upon detection of the abstract concept of melancholia.

AltoFronto.
AltoFronto.

Kat, I am so sorry to read your experiences, and I hope you are now thriving, and on to better things.

Jedi-hugs if you want them.

Kat
Kat

Yes, thanks AltoFronto, I’m doing very well, and the big pile of wanktossers is securely in the past. I only consort with cool people and animals now. Much better for the psyche and the body parts, apart from when my cat gets lost in my duvet at night and claws her way out, but hey.

NicolaLuna
NicolaLuna

That creepy creepy picture. I literally had nightmares about being at the AVFM Conference, being non-consensually hugged by loads of men who looked like Sage Gerard. I woke up drenched in sweat and only got 5 hours sleep.

You owe me a good night’s sleep, David!

amadangelandme
amadangelandme

The unconsensual hug happened to me just two days ago, and I can so well understand Blair. People who believe they are entitled to hug you (or worse), and won´t understand your no as anything but a yes… THAT is super duper creepy =(

boogerghost
boogerghost

That strumpet Blair! How dare she go out in public and speak to other humans while female?! We must not stand for such overt manipulation!!

So who else has had that experience being the female in a male-dominated space who gets hugged all the time by straight dudes who don’t hug their close male friends?

I like hugs, and I’m happy to hug decent people I’ve just met if I felt a connection with them, and if they also like hugs. But when a straight guy hugs me and then turns and gives all his bros whom he’s known way longer a fist bump, that makes it retroactively creepy. It’s telling me either “I expect your gender to provide me an extra level of emotional and physical intimacy on principle because I can’t get it from my real friends” or “that wasn’t a platonic hug.”

Long before I really understood WHY it was creepy, I’d sometimes get annoyed and order them to hug their male friends too, only to be told off because I was “making it weird.” Other times I’d be too hesitant to say anything. I get that navigating bro code and homophobia is no walk in the park, but it’s humiliating and othering to be automatically responsible for near-strangers’ emotional well-being, and at the same time get the sense that you might never really get to count as a friend.

It’s all part of this entitlement to women’s time, energy, and bodies. It’s not that a hug from an actual male friend isn’t sweet, but I’ve gotten a lot of hugs from guys who definitely wanted a hug more than they wanted to be my friend.

This goes for cheek kisses too, which in most of the Anglosphere have to involve at least one woman or else they’re weird and gay, which makes you wonder whether that makes all those cheek kisses from your uncle “straight.” Blleeaaggccchh.

proxieme
proxieme

GhostBird – I think that’s the look he’s going for. If you click through (it’s a DNL) take a look at his banner.
It doubles down on the vibe.

Moggie
Moggie

AVFM were presented with two open goals here. They could have acted appropriately around Blair, and their “collegiate activism director” could have offered useful practical advice about what to do about a false rape accusation – an issue which is right up their street. They could have come out of this looking, if not exactly good, at least like a serious and respectable organisation dedicated to rights. But no, all they could manage was rape jokes, creepy touching, and, good grief, a poem. Massive fail.

Moggie
Moggie

Oh my. I wonder how many skulls he owns?

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

It’s all part of this entitlement to women’s time, energy, and bodies.

Thanks, boogerghost. I’m glad I refreshed before I posted my last screed, because you summed everything up much better. For whatever reasons I haven’t been catcalled or propositioned much in my life. But boy howdy, am I every man’s surrogate mom/girlfriend/therapist/emotional dumping ground. I’ve ended up listening to tales of unappreciative wives and children after I simply asked someone for help finding the mole repellent in Home Depot. I usually fix a mix of pity – how sad is it to have to turn to strangers for sympathy? – and irritation because seriously dude, why do you think I owe you this? And some of these fellas act like they’re merely collecting their due. I can’t figure out if that’s better or worse than the guys who seem to know that they’re imposing, but sheepishly do it anyway.

when my cat gets lost in my duvet at night and claws her way out

This is awesome brain bleach, Kat, as good as the kitten/cat pictures. I can’t stop giggling at the thought of a determined cat, heroically digging her way out of her fluffy confinement like a climber caught in an avalanche. I imagine it’s probably more painful than cute IRL, though.

Lea
Lea

This is a rebuttal?
The mind. She boggles.

It sure looks like the fantasy of a none too bright sexual predator who is so used to the manosphere that he has no idea how he sounds to the rest of the world. So creepy.

boogerghost
boogerghost

@Flying Mouse Exactly. It may not be their fault they’re emotionally stunted, we all are in a way and gender rigidity certainly doesn’t help, but you should never be expected to drain your own emotional resources to make up for that. I say we cut down on pro bono consoling and encourage dude pals to shoulder a bit more. Better for everyone.

Lea
Lea

He’s so vile.
She made a face, not she looked sad. He’s making believe that she was out to get him by feigning sadness. Still, the look on her face meant he could touch her.

He was “flirting” with the sad stranger (Whom he knew was a duplicitous spy all along) but at the same time, touching her had nothing at all to do with him “flirting”.

He completely waves away the fact she is a professional with an established career to accuse her of prostituting herself in an attempt to get another writer a story that vilifies the MRM.

He calls rape, possibly gang rape “seven minutes in heaven”. I suppose he’s suggesting that she was willing to let a bunch of rather unappealing strangers run a train on her so that she could lie about it afterwards. (No doubt she would steal all the condoms on her way out too for that sweet, sweet child support.)

How much does he suppose she was paid? Because DAMN.

His evidence? She was existing while female and spoke up about his touching being unconsensual.

fromafar2013
fromafar2013

This is the second ‘rebuttal’ that I’ve seen that insists that the GQ journalists laid a trap but the AVFMers were too smart to fall for it…

Then why didn’t we hear about this sleazy corrupt journalist and his ‘honey pot’ ‘bear trap’ friend right after the conference? Why did they wait until after the article was released to confront the supposed set up?

Hmm…

Is it because AVFMers are full of crap? All Very Fabricated Malarky?

sn0rkmaiden

Gosh, talking about giving a guy enough rope to hang himself.

I mean, did the GQ article anywhere, at any point, equate Sage Gerard’s behavior towards Blair as rape? It just said he hugged her without her wanting him to, in other words completely ignoring her body language. I’ve been on the receiving end of a few unwanted hugs over the years (one was a Greek Orthodox priest, that was bloody awkward) and while I’d never equate it with assault, it isn’t very nice. Why is Gerard so angry that Blair didn’t enjoy his physical attentions? Oh yes, because he’s a rapey little shit. Not a rapist,as far as we know, but a rapey little shit none the less.

And what is with that demonic photo he’s put at the top of the article? Is he trying to be ironic or something? I like the way his selection of undoctored photos look just as scary as the weird GQ one.

I also think it odd that someone who wants to defend men against false rape accusations is throwing Blair’s friend under the bus by revealing more details about him than the GQ article did.

sunnysombrera

I bet Kennesaw State University is thinking that they made a good call taking action against him…even though it was barely enough to curb his “activism”.

Bina
Bina

Holy crap, this.

If he pulls the “I’m on the autism spectrum, I can’t read other people’s face-signals” card as I suspect he will, this ought to be proof that he’s lying, he can damn well SO read other people’s faces, and he just chooses to “misinterpret” the situation in his own favor anyway. (Note the quotes, there for a reason.) First the “don’t touch a guy on the leg unless you WANT him”, then he goes right ahead and does that very thing to her? How much more transparent about his intentions could he get? He certainly can’t claim to be a bad reader of social cues, because that was some straight-up PUA kino right there.

Plus the whole “I just had to” excuse for pulling her away from her friends and then getting all touchy on her (and trying to show what a “poet” he is!) is also wrong as fuck. Maybe it’s my Nice Girl Training talking, but I was always taught that other people’s emotional needs are, at the very least, on a par with one’s own, and in social situations where you just met someone, you put their needs ahead of yours for politeness’ sake. If you want to go someplace more private, you don’t drag them there, you ask first if it’s okay. When you see someone looking uncomfortable at what you say/do, you stop. He didn’t. At the very least, he is horrifically rude and ill-mannered for pushing through her obvious discomfort and imposing his “needs” on her. More likely, though, he DID have an ulterior motive, and is pissed as hell that everyone saw through it and that it didn’t get left out of the piece.

He has no right to complain that they went out of their way to made him look bad. They did nothing of the sort. He did that himself, and has no one but himself to blame.

jaygee
jaygee

So what I got from reading the snippets above is that Gerard, upon detecting a trap, decides to get closer rather than avoid. Doesn’t sound like a smart move.

I also have to agree about how the manospherians can’t get their narrative straight. If Gerard is spotted with Blair, it must be so easy for her to cry rape. /s So would he really be avoiding the trap if she accuses him anyway?

The other thing is how they think that flirting leads to rape, not sex, but rape. So they think that’s the logical outcome? If so, they all better avoid flirting with women in case they trick the menz into raping them and then falsely(?) accuse men of rape. I’m really confused too about whether the Gerard would consider that a false rape charge, especially since he admits he could have raped her if he hadn’t seen through the trap.

And then there’s the unintended implication that if he didn’t think Blair was baiting him for GQ, he would have raped her. So what’s stopping him from rape isn’t human decency but bad publicity, which he’s not helping with his “rebuttal.”

sunnysombrera

You guys really need to check out this article. It references this very post by David, the rebuttal by Elam, the “honey trap” accusation from Gerard, and is just an all round good article. The URL pretty much says it all.

It really is.

Especially since Elam said this to the conference goers:

Please, for all here who are attending, keep this in mind with everything you do and say. Even at after-hours social events, if you hear anyone saying anything that can be used against us, or that makes our gathering toxic, pull them aside politely and say, “Hey, you are hurting us with this. If you want to hang with this group you have to stop it.”

AND THEY STILL FUCKED UP.

weirwoodtreehugger

Nthing the opinion that Sage Gerard isn’t socially unaware, he’s deliberately creepy. It sounds to me like he was using the sad look on her face as an in. An excuse to touch her with consoling and reassuring her as his cover story. Keep in mind from Atilla’s detailed description of Blair, she was wearing shorts. So Sage not only touched her leg,he touched her bare leg. That is an extremely intimate gesture and he knew it. Or he wouldn’t have said that it’s flirting for a woman to touch a man’s leg.

How creepy is it when men see a woman who is upset and in need of comforting and rather than empathize and listen to her,they see her as a prime candidate for flirting because she’s in a vulnerable state. Ick.

There is definitely a subset of humanity that enjoys the power and dominance of pushing boundaries as far as possible. The target is always someone perceived as vulnerable, marginalized or in some way lesser. It happens to women in general but you see it even more with pregnant women experience unwanted belly touching or black women experiencing unwanted hair touching.

sunnysombrera

Of course the comment section of that RH article is swarming with them. I mean swarming. Esmay and even Elam is there. Elam’s biggest issue is that Marcotte cited a third party source instead of straight to his AVFM post – repeat after me, kiddies: “CONTEXT!!” Not linking straight to his site means the whole post is bunkum, of course.

The rest are all “LOJIK AND FACKTS WILL WIN!” And a lot of deleted posts. I think they’re starting to cotton on that the more they talk the deeper they dig themselves…only a little though.

weirwoodtreehugger

Sunny,
Why did I read the comments? A bunch of MRA brigading. The comments had to be closed. Of course, they’re all whining about how misrepresented and smeared they are without ever actually denying that any of the creepy shit happened. Never once did I see an MRA say”of course we don’t advocate the position that men should be able to rape 12 year olds.” Never did they say they actually think it’s wrong for a father to mock his daughter for being a rape victim. All they can do is call feminists bigots and complain about the UN not working to stop the circumcision of boys (what that has to do with their creepy behavior, I don’t know).

weirwoodtreehugger

Oops. Should have refreshed before posting!

twomoogles
twomoogles

Ugh, there’s also the seriously disturbing implication that the only reason he *didn’t* go farther than what he did is because he “sensed a trap”, so if he had thought she *was* just a random woman with no ulterior motives he would have….what, exactly? ACK.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@sunnysombrera and WWTH And that’s why the internet can’t have nice things. I’m really getting tired of seeingthe same band of pitchfork-wielding waah-waah-waah idiots pooping all over every.single.freaking.comment.section, claiming that the FACTS! and the EVIDENCE! are on their side. And yet they never actually produce any facts or evidence. We’re just supposed to take their word for it that they’re right and feminists are wrong.

Another point re: Gerard’s ridiculous “rebuttal”, no reputable magazine would ever hire someone and tell them to put themselves in danger just for the sake of a story. It’s about ethics in journalism.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Well, I guess we can safely assume that the talk about “sensing a trap” is post facto rationalization. The real reason he limited himself to brief sexual harassment is that it was a public event where extensive harassment would have been kinda against social rules, the boyfriend was a potential obstacle, and he was being kinda busy with the con anyway.

sunnysombrera

@Buttercup You can make a bingo card out of every thing they say. Every time.

1) This is out of context/not the full picture of what happened.
2) This is a vicious attempt at slander because the author hates men/feminism is dying/feminism is about hating men.
3) TRUTH WILL WIN!
4) If feminism is about equality then why aren’t feminists fighting men’s battles for them?
5) False equivalencies ad infinitum.
6) The author is deliberately ignoring facts and logic.
7) We know all the facts and logic.
8) [Never provides any facts and logic]
9) False “facts” and twisted statistics to “prove” women are the main perps of DV/male rape.
10) Media propaganda by the feminist overlords.

sunnysombrera

Oh and “We’re not misogynists”.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

To be clear, I don’t think Gerard just barely avoided raping raping Blair at the con. It’s more like that in slightly different circumstances he might have harassed her all night, trying to pester her for a date and, if that succeeded, eventually for sex.

He might or might not personally think of it as “rape”, but he’s pretty aware that feminists would call it rape if it happened, and he’d have some trouble explaining it as consensual. Of course, since it didn’t happen, he sees no problem in admitting that it might have happened.

As it is, he only needs to excuse a little harassment as totally normal friendly interaction. Or was it flirting with an aggressively sexual woman? Whatever.