a voice for men gross incompetence irony alert misogyny MRA paul elam schadenfreude

A Voice for Men's fake WhiteRibbon.org site proudly reposts an article on domestic violence plagiarizing from Amanda Marcotte

Not the same as writing
Not the same as writing

On Sunday, Paul Elam, head cheese of A Voice for Men, proudly announced that his colleagues at the phony WhiteRibbon.org website were republishing a kind of shitty article on domestic violence by Tanveer Ahmed, a columnist for the Australian and a man Elam described as an “esteemed psychiatrist, author, [and] media regular.”

Wait, did I say he was a columnist for the Australian? Make that former columnist. The Guardian reports that the Australian has just fired Ahmed – for plagiarizing a chunk of the very article that Elam has just republished.

It’s the second time Ahmed has lost a media gig for plagiarism.

The plagiarism was first discovered by blogger Ketan Joshi, who wrote:

Out of curiosity, and following some of the social media commentary around Ahmed’s piece, I plugged his writing into a bunch of online plagiarism checkers, and, lo and behold, a portion of his article is either plagiarised from work he’s published well into the past, or ripped directly from another website.

In one of the many ironies of this case, the sentence that Ahmed plagiarised virtually word for word for his Australian piece was written by feminist and MRA bete noire Amanda Marcotte.

Here’s the sentence as it appeared in Ahmed’s article:

…it is critical that improving arrest and prosecution rates, establishing shelters and abuse hotlines, pushing for state provisions against stalking, and creating protections for immigrants all have the goal of getting victims out of abusive -relationships.

And here’s the original from an American Prospect article by Marcotte:

Improving arrest and prosecution rates, establishing shelters and abuse hotlines, pushing for state provisions against stalking, and creating protections for immigrants all have the goal of getting victims out of abusive relationships and into safe situations.

Ahmed — at least in the version of his piece up on WhiteRibbon.org — actually footnotes Marcotte’s piece, though he presents her words as his own, not as a quote. (Yep, fellas, that’s still plagiarism.) He also manages to misspell her last name.

In addition to this bit of plagiarism, Joshi uncovered a number of similar examples in other articles recently written by Ahmed, and some examples of his own writing that he had repurposed numerous times in different pieces.

Another irony? Ahmed is an “ambassador” for the real White Ribbon Australia, a genuine anti-domestic violence campaign, yet he’s allowing his piece to be republished on A Voice for Men’s WhiteRibbon.org website, a site that’s impersonating the real White Ribbon campaign in what seems  like an obvious ploy to create confusion about the real organization.

In other words, he’s allowing Elam and his cronies to publish his plagiarised article on their fraudulent website.

This will do wonders for the credibility of all involved.

Not long ago, Elam removed posts by his former number two dude at AVFM, John Hembling, after it was pointed out that one of his posts was plagiarised. Will Elam or the AVFM staffers who ostensibly run WhiteRibbon.org remove Ahmed’s post as well?

H/T — and @drspacejunk

Dodom
Dodom

I’m not sure I’d condemn him for his article ending up reposted on Elam’s site. I’m not convinced Elam is a big fan of asking for permission.

sunnysombrera

Seconding what Dodom said. I think Paul straight up ripped it from Ahmed, considering that he (Elam) has complete disdain for the original White Ribbon. And he doesn’t ever examine his sources.

J. Schmidt
J. Schmidt

Will Elam or the AVFM staffers who ostensibly run WhiteRibbon.org remove Ahmed’s post as well?

Who else would be running it? Is it a serious possibility that someone else is pulling strongs behind the scenes?

weirwoodtreehugger

Actually, it’s about ethics in domestic violence journalism.

Dave Hughes

AVFM doesn’t give a crap about male victims of domestic violence. They’ll gladly call any guy who’s been beaten up by his girlfriend a pussy. The only thing they’re fighting for in that regard is to claim that men have some basic, inalienable right to hit whoever they want.

Bina
Bina

Not only is he a plagiarist, but he actually bobbles up the very words he’s lifting, making them into an unwieldy mess. That’s a crime against language, that is.

magnesium

That fraudulent site he made to try and steel donations from a real charity is still up? How is that even a thing he is allowed to do?

If I make the site AVoiceForTheMen.org, call myself Paulie Ellam, and ask for donations to “definitely help men but for real” he’d be cool with that, right? Hell, money going straight to my personal paypal account would probably still help more dudes than the money going to Elam’s wife’s personal paypal account.

ikanreed
ikanreed

How many times has Elam defended domestic violence as not only acceptable, but a goal for his campaign?

How can this “I wrote a story where a man permanently injured his (cheating) wife” guy even pretend to care about domestic violence like this?

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

My question is, how did this guy get hired as a journalist again after being sacked for plagiarism the first time?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Fnoicby

One thing I learned doing legal work for a major news organisation was that ethics is a very flexible concept in journalism.

If you’re interested in that sort of field have a read up on the Leverson Enquiry.

sparky
sparky

For what it’s worth, Elam does say that Ahmed gave permission to reprint the article:

Officials from Erin Pizzey’s whiteribbon.org secured quick approval from Ahmed to repost the original in its entirety, which you can read here.

But, again, that’s Elam, so, grain of salt and all that.

davidknewton
davidknewton

I remembered the other day that one of my friends in university got himself voted in on the student committee, the member for men’s issues… he started a group for male students who had suffered abuse (a couple of women joked about how they abused men and I found that annoying, but… it wasn’t the majority of female students or anything) and the Feel Your Balls campaign for awareness of testicular cancer. I think the position only lasted a year, but even within that small body of students, it did more real things for actual men’s issues than anyone at AVFM ever has.

WithAZ
WithAZ

It’s very strange that Ahmed would give his permission for his piece to be hosted on AVfM’s fake website. Maybe he thought that it was going up on the official White Ribbon site? In which case, he should probably hurry up and try to get it removed.

dhag85

No idea what to make of this.

Unrelated to this, I just ordered a pizza with extra cheese. They apparently thought I meant all of the cheese in the world. I can’t eat this.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Paul Elam is quite unscrupulous when it comes to the affairs of AVfM. He portrays himself as a human rights crusader yet constantly participates in morally dubious activities such harassment and misinformation.

davidknewton
davidknewton

Send it to me, I’ll make an earnest attempt (and food supplies would be very welcome as we attend to dig our way out of the house here in Boston)

weirwoodtreehugger

Would you send me that pizza, dhag? The more cheese, the better as far as I’m concerned.

dhag85

You’ll have to fight it out for the pizza. :p

Also, wwth, that’s exactly what my wife said, except she already ate. She went into trance staring at the cheese.

ParadoxicalIntention

MRAs copy-pasting everything they put up on their site? Color me surprised. [/sarcasm]

Did we really expect anything different after looking at their “memes”?

Bina
Bina

I’m beginning to wonder if this Ahmed dude isn’t an MRA infiltrator. He’s done a number of things that are at blatant odds with White Ribbon’s stated goals.

By their fruits shall ye know them…

Xanthë

I saw Ketan Joshi’s tweets getting bashed into by a different crowd from the usual denialists he attracts – he’s an advocate for renewable energy and usually has the anti-wind farm types baying for blood.

Clementine Ford knocked Dr Tanveer Ahmed’s article into pieces on Daily Life last week before Ketan got to it: http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/white-ribbon-ambassador-tanveer-ahmeds-dangerous-message-on-domestic-violence-20150209-139yjs.html

And they now have a follow-up article on the plagiarism: http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/tanveer-ahmed-sacked-again-for-plagiarising-his-views-on-domestic-violence-20150217-13gn3l.html

White Ribbon Australia (the real White Ribbon!) is expected to have a further statement out later today in addition to the one they’d already released last week: http://www.whiteribbon.org.au/update/white-ribbon-australia-statement-dr-tanveer-ahmed-clementine-ford

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

I agree that reusing old work word-for-word is pretty lazy, but plagiarism? Can you really plagiarize yourself?

ParadoxicalIntention

emilygoddess – MOD | February 16, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Believe it or not, yeah. I had that issue in college when I wanted to re-use my older projects for newer classes. I got told I literally couldn’t do that because that’s plagiarism under the law, apparently.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

There are a few legal cases where musicians have been sued by companies holding the rights to their earlier work when they’ve produced similar stuff for a new publisher.

Mwa
Mwa

In every academic setting where I have taught, reusing old work would be considered a breach of academic honesty codes, but would not be considered plagiarism. The reason it is a breach of academic code, but not plagiarism, is that it is the student’s own work, but it was work completed as a requirement for a different class. Reusing the exact same work means not completing a portion of the required work, or taking credit twice for one paper when other students have put in the time and effort to write two papers. However, this really does depend on how strict the professor wants to be and how much of the project is reused. I have no problem with students basing new work on their other ideas, particularly if we discuss and have an understanding that the project will have a new scope, argument, etc. I would not accept an essay that had been handed in for another class with only minor alterations.

M.
M.

Family violence within newly arrived ethnic groups is often related to the sudden dilution of traditional masculinity, leaving men lost and isolated, particularly as females enjoy greater autonomy and expectations.

“Men” and “Females.” I’ve seen that dog whistle before.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

It really does depend on the professor. I had one prof who assigned shorter writing assignments (paragraph-length ones) with the idea that they could be recycled into essays, and others who banned that practice.

That did save my bacon when I waited until the last couple of days before an essay was due and had to write it while feverish with the dreaded swine flu my freshman year… in retrospect, I think the prof would have given me an extension.

Lolly
Lolly

To be a pedant, it’s officially ‘The Australian’….

Lolly
Lolly

And that Clementine Ford piece (linked above) is v.good..

Gondwanarama (@gondwanarama)

For extra context – The Australian is the dark lord Murdoch’s flagship “respectable broadsheet”. Very right wing, not at all a fan of social progress.

Wetherby

My attitude when writing professionally is that drawing on earlier writing is acceptable if it hasn’t previously been published professionally – so for instance I have no ethical problem with reworking a blog post or comment up into part of a published piece.

On the other hand, once it’s been paid for, that piece legally becomes the property of the publisher and I’d have to ask permission in order to make further use of it even if the deal allows me to share the copyright.

Alison
Alison

Ahmed has now been suspended from his role as a White Ribbon Ambassador, incidentally. Yes, the real White Ribbon (it gets confusing, no?)

Xanthë

Apologies, I did mean to return here and post a link to the new statement by White Ribbon’s CEO, Libby Davies, once it had been made.

Dr Tanveer Ahmed’s article published in The Australian on 9 February 2015 and his subsequent comments are inconsistent with the message and focus of the White Ribbon Campaign. White Ribbon Australia appreciates the resulting deep concern of our supporters, including other White Ribbon Ambassadors.

As I have made clear, the views of Dr Ahmed do not reflect the views of White Ribbon Australia. In recognition of this and the need to assess his future involvement in the White Ribbon Campaign, Dr Ahmed has stepped down from his role as White Ribbon Ambassador.
[… more at this link.]

Ms Davies’ message alludes to Dr Ahmed having advised White Ribbon that he would make a statement available on his own website, but I have not seen anything yet from him resembling one beyond a couple of tweets such as this one: