#gamergate a voice for men anti-Semitism antifeminism antifeminist women crackpottery Dean Esmay entitled babies I know you are but what am I irony alert lying liars misogyny MRA paul elam post contains sarcasm Suzanne McCarley

The Most A-Voice-for-Menny A Voice for Men Thread Ever

Actual "meme" designed by AVFM's Attila Vinczer
Actual “meme” designed by AVFM’s Attila Vinczer

Oh, people. I would really like to take a little vacation from all the A Voice for Men posts, but as it turns out I have found the most A-Voice-for-Menny AVFM thread ever, and I must share it with you.

Ok, so a couple of days ago, AVFM’s Dear Leader Paul Elam posted an uncharacteristically brief video titled “A 41 second lesson for Adam Serwer and the mainstream media.” It consisted of a 41-second snippet of Elam’s phone interview with Buzzfeed’s Adam Serwer, one of the authors of that scathing expose of Elam, in which Elam boasts to Serwer about how much traffic AVFM gets every time there is a news article reporting what an utterly terrible person he is. (I’m loosely paraphrasing here; as far as I can tell, Elam is not actually aware he is a terrible person.)

A few of the AVFM regulars sprinkled some comments below Elam’s offering when he put it up on AVFM, and there are some utter gems amongst them, demonstrating some of the ways that AVFMers try to magically stave off the collective realization that the reason virtually every real journalist who has ever written about them thinks they’re terrible is that they are indeed terrible.

One commenter gamely repeated a familiar truism that is not actually true:

crydiego • 13 hours ago  I'm sure there is much more yellow journalism to come and it will come from many different sources but say the same thing. All publicity is good publicity if you want to get a message out.Then a self-described Man Going His Own Way suggested that Serwer is not a real man at all:

MGTOW-man • a day ago  Serwer, if it wasn't for the empty kind of female admiration, he wouldn't be able to find any worth in himself. Poor thing; Thinks he is a 'real' man but mysteriously, all of his maleness goes to waste unless he subscribes to vacuous pandering and pampering. The boys really have them a pillar of strength to emulate, huh?AVFM’s “Activism Director” then stepped up with a colorful comment that, among other things, cleverly transformed “Serwer” into “Sewer”:

Attila_L_Vinczer Mod • a day ago  Adam Serwer jumps on the axe-grinding bandwagon. Who will he swing at next? More importantly, why? Will he be honest or continue the dishonest path of a conniving yellow-belly journalist. Many unknowns, but one thing is for sure, this was Sewer reporting.

Vinczer was evidently so proud of the phrase “axe-grinding bandwagon” that he decided to paste it, and some further thoughts on the subject, over an old cheesecake picture of a woman grinding an axe. (See above.) Unfortunately, she is not actually seated upon a bandwagon, so I cannot award Mr. Vinczer full credit for his efforts here.

But my favorite comment of the bunch came from AVFM’s “managing editor” and “director of operations” and “possible buyer of fake Twitter followers,” Dean Esmay.

Dean Esmay Mod • 2 days ago  So who does Adam Serwer hate more, Jews or women? I still can't figure it out.I can see that some of you are a little baffled, possibly because Serwer, who is both Jewish and a feminist, has never given any indication that he hates either Jews or women.

But Esmay, like many in the Men’s Rights community, seems to be fond of an argumentative trope that most of us outgrow in childhood: the old “I know you are but what am I?” ruse.

If you call an MRA a sexist, chances are good that he (or in some cases she) will call YOU a sexist — because, say, your insistence that rapists should be vigorously prosecuted is said to somehow infantalize women.

Or something like that; the details aren’t any more important to the MRAs making these accusations than they were to your jerky sibling when you were both kids. What’s important is that this little rhetorical maneuver puts you on the defensive.

But if AVFMers don’t have any good reason to say that Serwer hates Jews and/or women, they have come up with an excuse:  Buzzfeed chose to illustrate Serwer and Katie Baker’s piece on Elam with a caricature of Elam modeled after a famous poster of Rosie the Riveter.

And so, apparently because the caricature of Elam was mildly unflattering and slightly exaggerated the size of his nose, the great minds at AVFM decided that it was equivalent to the viciously anti-Semitic caricatures of Jews featured in Nazi propaganda. And also somehow demeaning to women. It doesn’t make much sense to me.

Here’s how one AVFM fan tried to explain the accusation on Twitter:

tiger1tiger2Oddly, I don’t recall Esmay, a fervent supporter of #GamerGate, ever taking fellow #GamerGaters to task for literally repurposing neo-Nazi propaganda in their attacks on Anita Sarkeesian.

The “I know you are but what am I” attack can be confusing even to MRAs. Pity poor Suzy McCarley, AVFM’s “assistant managing editor” and head comment moderator, who, in her response to Esmay’s question, tried to attack Serwer as an anti-Semite who’s simultaneously sexist towards both women and men.

driversuz Mod Dean Esmay • a day ago  I'm leaning toward "Jews," because so many of them are men. Heaven knows Sewer hates men, possibly more than he hates women and Jews.

So Serwer hates Jews more than women, because half of all Jews are women, whom he hates, and the other half are men, whom he also hates, but possibly more than he hates women.

Driversuz, be careful: you might sprain something.

Luzbelitx

My two cents for Elam’s title:

– Asshole in Chief
– Papa Smurf

PussyPowerTantrum
PussyPowerTantrum
Reply to  Luzbelitx

– Papa Smurf

No, not Papa Smurf! Sure he may be the patriarchal leader of a group that’s mostly male with a few token women, but still that’s my childhoo-hoo-hoo-hood!

PussyPowerTantrum
PussyPowerTantrum

May I rather nominate Gargamel (“Gargamelam,” if you like), with Dean Esmay as Azrael?

lith
lith

@markb:

It’s certainly a step up but it’s hardly there. It’s still about the standard ‘women/girls problems’ (marriage), and she’s a princess, and I’d say most importantly they still make it an issue within the plot that she’s not properly ‘feminine’.
What I’d like to see are films where women/girls can be whatever without other characters pointing out how outrageous that is, where it’s just normal. I hate that my daughter feels she has to self-identify as a tomboy because that way she can do ‘boys things’.
She hates the colour pink and ‘girly’ stuff, and you can tell that in some cases it’s not because she really feels that way, it’s because that’s what boys are like. I’d like to see the same for male characters – normalise reasonable behaviour, don’t genderise specific behaviours, it limits everyone to a 2 dimensional caricature of what they think other people think they should be.

Cavalluccio Marino
Cavalluccio Marino

@Proxieme: The costumes your kids are wearing in the last picture look great. 🙂 I’m considering going as one of the Lord of the Rings elves this year for Halloween. I know it’s a long time away, but since I’ll be busy with a heavy university schedule and part-time work, it might be a good idea to get started early haha.

Re female serial killers: In South Africa there was a famous serial killer called Daisy de Melker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_de_Melker. She killed two husbands and a son, although convicted only for the murder of her son.

Lea
Lea

I recommend Caustic Soda’s Evil Dames in History. They also have Evil Dudes in History.

Falconer

Heck, one of Aang’s conflicts is that he’s not “aggressive enough” to fit what he thinks the Avatar should be.

Which is a wonderful bit of characterization. Aang’s sweet and gentle and goofy, and that’s an example that is sorely needed, IMO.

It also leads to the second-best filler episode in the series, wherein Aang is so hung up over not being strong enough to beat the Fire Lord that he stops sleeping, and eventually starts tripping.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@lith

I was watching Toy Story 3 the other day and suddenly realised that any character that had no particular reason to be one gender or the other was male. Searching for discussions on it I repeatedly saw the excuse that most of Pixar is male so of course they can’t write female characters because they can’t imagine being one. Like they aren’t a whole bunch of bigger issues all by themselves.

Someone over at Ms. pointed out that the villains in TS3 (Lotso, the clown, and the baby) turn to evil after being rejected by a girl. Both Toy Story 2 and 3 depict girls as consumers who either heartlessly toss toys aside for the next shiny thing (makeup and boys), or simply replace one bear with another. Their behavior contrasts with college-aged Andy, who can hardly bear to part with his childhood companions. It’s as if they don’t believe that girls can be as imaginative, loyal, and bonded to their toys as girls.

Maybe that’s reading a little too much into it, but Pixar really needs to do a better job with female characters and stop feeding the stereotypes.

Re: the earlier Miyazaki discussion, my boys love “My Neighbor Totoro”, which has two strong, believable female protagonists. And a catbus!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Whoops, that sentence should have said “It’s as if they don’t believe that girls can be as imaginative, loyal, and bonded to their toys as boys.”

weirwoodtreehugger

I kept my favorite childhood doll. I can’t part with her. She’s dirty and her arms are missing but I love her anyway. Her name is Jingle Bells because she was a Christmas present.

Kootipatra
..what?
Wow Mras have to be from another planet. I don’t mind if there was a book or TV show that talks to boys about healthy masculinity but seriously the stupid is off the charts and no matter what you do the MRAS are not happy they will whine for not getting everything they want and have to be about them 24/7. Girls getting anything is Misandry it seems.

“Yeah, but we had to write all of those stories ourselves.”

Forbid women from writing or make women make up a male name to sell her books easier and now men are complaining why women didn’t write as much as they did. Well of course there’s Harry Potter that would proberly blow his mind.

I think I lost a couple brain cells reading all that. Ok calm down Fruitloopsie just think of the kitties.

Proxieme
Those costumes are awesome

sunnysombrera

Buttercup: but at the end all the toys are given to a girl. I really think too much is being read into the film here. I reckon the only reason characters like Lotso and even Jessie are abandoned by girls is because there are few human characters and they wanted a gender balance.

Also, you’re forgetting about Sid in TS1.

suffrajitsu
suffrajitsu

I hate to admit it, but even Pixar has a gender imbalance with only one movie to date that actually had a female protagonist (as opposed to female deuteragonists like Dory, Elastigirl, or EVE) and that one was about a princess. Not that there’s anything wrong with princesses per se, but Brave is still pretty clearly intended to “appeal to girls”; male is still default. That’s one of the reasons I have really high hopes for Inside Out (and I still do, though I did think the trailer with the mom and dad’s heads were weirdly 90s sitcom stereotypes.)

suffrajitsu
suffrajitsu

RE: rape in Greek myths: they were actually pretty equally blasé about gods raping both men and women (Ganymede and Hermaphroditus also come to mind), but mortal women were got raped by ‘heroes’ pretty often too (see: Theseus, Achilles, and Orion)

sunnysombrera

It’s been said before by someone but I’ll say it again: Princess Nausicaa is the best princess in film hands down. Haven’t seen Mononoke so I can’t comment.

Which brings me to a new thought: female representation in anime/ Japanese animation films? It seems to vary wildly and I don’t think all of it is bad. One of my favourite animes/mangas is Elfen Lied where there is only one man out of five characters (six in the manga but the sixth girl is a really odd vapid character clearly designed to appeal to some sort of weird fetish). Apart from her I think the creators did a good job of the characters. (That’s not why I like it though, I like it because of the awesome story and premise).

fruitloopsie

I kept my toys ever since I was born, at least I don’t blow up my toys or ‘play surgery’ with them like sid did. There was a little girl in the 3rd movie who was very imaginative and attached to her toys.

I do miss the toys like little Bo Peep but she wasn’t in it because she was porcelain so she might break. I do like the baby, he is so cute and when he said ‘momma’ at the near end my heart sank.

I heard about a theory that andy’s mom might be Jessie’s original owner because she kept the hat from when she was younger. But it could just be a theory.

Sunnsombrera
I wanted to watch Nausicaa but I haven’t got around it yet. I heard it was great I really do like Miyazaki films, the ones that I watched were Princess Mononoke, castle in the sky and spirited away.

Spindrift
Spindrift

Nausicaa’s flying scenes are pretty beautifully animated, feels like there’s real weight to the character. And her squirrelfox thingy is super cute.

Falconer

It was my impression that the movies said that kids like Andy and the girl he gives his toys to at the end are rare.

But TS3 also says there’s a time to put aside your toys. Andy was going to take Woody to college with him.

I agree that Pixar needs a better mix.

Falconer

@fruitloopsie, I’d say those were among the best Miyazaki films, and I encourage you to watch Nausicaa. I have the newer one with Patrick Stewart on the dub cast.

I think I’m going to pull it out and watch it.

sunnysombrera

Seen most Miyazaki films but I gotta agree I’m happy he has so many well crafted female protagonists. Even the female dual protagonists are cool, like Fio in Porco Rosso, who is also a plane mechanic and engineer.

Falconer
“Andy’s cowboy hat in TS1 looks like Jessie’s, but lacks the ribbon around the crown.”

Maybe it was torn off? That would make me so happy if andy’s mom is jesse’s owner. Speaking of toy story there is going to be a 4th one in 2017.

“I encourage you to watch Nausicaa.”

::writes Nausicaa on ‘Movies that I want to watch list’:: and done.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@fruitloopsie Heard that theory too, but I think it’s been debunked. For one thing, Jessie doesn’t recognize Andy’s mom as her original owner, and vice versa. Also, I think the script refers to her as “Jennifer” rather than “Emily” (although you never learn her name in the films). And as someone on HuffPo pointed out, it would destroy Jessie’s story arc – she’s trying to work through her issues of being abandoned, and it would be too neat and pretty to subvert that by reuniting her with her original owner.

I had to throw out a decapitated Jessie doll recently (twin 1 had played too roughly with it and even after three repair attempts, the glue just wouldn’t hold any more). I felt horribly, horribly guilty about it. Thanks, Pixar.

Falconer

Where’s Andy’s and Molly’s dad? MISANDRY!!

Buttercup

Bummer and yeah it would be too cliche but it’s still a nice thought though.

“I had to throw out a decapitated Jessie doll”

Double bummer

Falconer
Theory: andy’s parents had a divorce

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@fruitloopsie It was a bummer. Woody and Buzz still survive, though. Our household hasn’t quite graduated to the Caterpillar Room yet. They’re still learning to play nicely with age-appropriate toys.

@Falconer Now that Andy and Molly’s mom has hit the wall, she’s just collecting child support and government checks, waiting for a beta chump to come along and…oh gods, I can’t do this to Toy Story. I love it too much to view it through the horrible lens of MRA social theory.

Falconer

Oh man, that sequence in TS3 where the tinies pound Buzz on things and get paint in Jessie’s hair … that gave me body horror vibes big time. Just, not being able to move and having to take whatever they did to you. Gah.

Falconer

Oh, speaking of decapitating toys, I don’t think a single one of my Kenner Star Wars figures kept their heads very long. I had a bad habit of sleeping with them in my bed, and their necks were fragile. I had Headless Hoth Luke and Headless Darth Vader and Headless Scout Trooper and Headless Imperial Guard.

Oh, wait, I think C-3PO managed to keep his head, and R2-D2’s oddly off-model head was pretty sturdy.

Masters of the Universe was made of sterner stuff.

ParadoxicalIntention

zarathustratheserpent | February 11, 2015 at 7:59 am

A bit off topic, but by God if only #GamerGate had this kid’s dad.

As a gamer, but not a #GamerGator, I would like to disagree entirely.

One, because no kid should ever have to deal with this kind of thing. This is abusive. Regardless of whether the parents bought the games or not. In that video, the kid is talking about how he wants to go into games for a living (I don’t know if he meant development, or what, but he says “This will be my job! This is what I want to do!”), and the dad ignores him and goes ahead and destroys it anyways.

I had something similar happen to me when I was a kid: I was reading my new Harry Potter book and I didn’t want to go to sleep, so I stayed up and read it. My stepfather at the time, instead of telling me to go to sleep because I had school in the morning, barged into my room, screamed at me, tore the book in half, and stabbed it with a knife.

There’s not going to be obedience there after something like this, only resentment and distrust. I don’t know if it’s because the dad saw games as “not a real job” or what, but this kind of thing is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone, even Gators. Delete their twitter accounts, sure. Out them as being harassers, sure. But not this.

Two, this would fuel their desire to be seen as martyrs. They want something like this to happen. This is the kind of thing that fuels their “gamers are a minority who are discriminated against!” fantasy.

So, no. I don’t want this to happen to Gators. At all.

Argenti Aertheri

That dude mowing his son’s video games is fucked up. Like, not remotely funny you don’t do that cuz that’s abusive was levels of fucked up. Destroying hundreds of dollars of someone’s prized possessions isn’t cool, even if they are your lazy teenager’s video games.

Take the TV out of his room until he gets a job or something, destroying his stuff on camera while laughing about it… no, just no.

ParadoxicalIntention

A Mighty Teapot | February 10, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I spend far more time than is healthy reading detective novels and watching crime dramas. I do this for fun, as escapist fantasy. It does not indicate any underlying desire to witness, perpetrate, fall victim to, investigate or in fact be on the same planet as a murder. To suggest that my choice of reading matter may be indicative of criminal tendencies would, I think, be considered absurd by most people. So why in the name of Nancy Drew is the popularity of a particular “romance” “novel” assumed to reveal anything about its readers’ real desires? Ok, so MRAs like to see women as impressionable, easily-read infants but they’re not the only ones drawing some sort of wider meaning from the phenomenon.

Hello there, and welcome! Click the scented fucking candle on the sidebar for your welcome package!

I didn’t see anyone else address this (forgive me if I’m wrong), so I’d like to, if I may: I find that the difference between the novels you read (which I enjoy myself. I recently purchased a book called The Poet by Michael Connelly while I was shopping for Christmas presents for my grandma, who also loves detective stories) and books like 50 Shades is simply this: We know murder is wrong. There’s no grey area. There’s no “But [the victim] was asking for it!” unless it’s in clear self-defense.

50 Shades deals with rape and sexual violence, something which a lot of people aren’t aware of because our society is very stunted as a whole when it comes to sexual education (and bless the brave souls who are trying to change that). We have no clear definition of rape, and while people know “rape” is bad, most men still say they’d force someone to have sex, as long as it wasn’t called “rape”. It’s not the act that people think is wrong, it’s the word.

Add this to the extra level of people not knowing what BDSM actually consists of, and we get a whole ‘nother storm of ignorance brewing. Abusers are now getting another excuse to abuse people and make it seem okay, and women are getting into this as their first experience, not knowing what BDSM actually is, or doing any outside research on their own.

So, when people point to this and say “This is what women want!”, it’s stemming from a lot of topics of ignorance from not only MRAsshats, but from other women, which further confuses the matter.

M.
M.

Just for the record, the lawnmower video was a hoax. Part of a student film project, apparently. As for why… *shrugs* They just want viral fame and don’t care whether or not the abuse disturbs people, I suppose.

ParadoxicalIntention

M. | February 11, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Huh. I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

My point to zarathustratheserpent still stands though. That shit’s abusive in the context it’s presented in.

Spindrift
Spindrift

@ParadoxicalIntention

Ugh, that’s aweful, and such a drastic response to a minor thing. Hate when people destroy enjoyable books.

And if someone’s gonna take away their kid’s games, they could at least have the decency to donate them or resell them on the cheap so someone else can enjoy them. Destroying things is just meanspirited and wasteful at the same time.

Falconer

“how to cure autism by feeding people bleach”

ಠ__ಠ

wut

ParadoxicalIntention

Spindrift | February 11, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I used to say that I’d burn the Twilight books, but now I’d willingly destroy 50 Shades of Grey. It’s far, FAR worse. Not only is it a terrible book with terrible “romance”, it’s a terrible author behind it.

As someone who’s both: Wut?

Agreed. I’ve heard of plenty of parents who resold their child’s games to get them out of the house, and that’s fine. I read one story from a Gamestop employee where a mom called in and asked if they had the new Call of Duty game for her son. The employee told her about the M for Mature rating, and she was upset that her pre-teen son was getting games like that without her knowledge, so she went through all of his games on the phone with the GS employee, and sure enough, all of them were rated M. So, she came in to the store the next day with his XBox and all of his games, sold them, and bought a Wii and some kid-friendly games with the money.

Destroying them in front of them is just shameful and wasteful. Especially when you record it to laugh at them. What kind of sadist do you have to be to do that?

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@Falconer That one toddler’s tongue….*shudder*

They really ought to give action figures thicker necks, being as how that’s one of the major stress points on a toy. Kids are going to grab, twist, turn, and try to make them talk. If they have little spaghetti necks, they’re doomed.

When I was a kid, we had a nutcracker Christmas ornament that lost its head one year. A few summers later, while it was in the storage box, red candle wax accidentally melted onto the neck stump. Not a good look. (We hung it on the tree anyway. Front and center.)

M.
M.

@Paradoxical

Oh, abso-freakin’-lutely. Frankly, the video’s still sick, fake or not, just for using abuse as “Humour.” Abuse victims are not a joke. -.-

@Falconer

Yeah, sadly, that one’s not a hoax (the existence of the book, I mean). Don’t click that link if you want to keep any sort of faith in humanity and not puke yourself to sleep.

Spindrift
Spindrift

Oh, oopsie, didn’t expect it to link the picture like that…

ParadoxicalIntention
That’s horrible I’m sorry that happened to you. You’re right taking someone’s stuff away is one thing but destroying someone’s stuff is way too far.

M.
A hoax? Oh good.

Spindrift
“Only books I’d willingly destroy are those “how to beat your child in a proper christian way” or “how to cure autism by feeding people bleach” sort of books, books that actively hurt people by existing.”

And

“You can’t point out that my books portray an abusive relationship! It’s mean to abuse victims and demonizes women who like BDSM!””

I think this calls for another ‘what?’ Gif.

ParadoxicalIntention

And

I think this calls for another ‘what?’ Gif.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too. Like I said, this is coming from someone who was abused, and someone who currently practices BDSM.

Though, I imagine that if I did try to explain this to EL James, I’d only be blocked on Twitter for my efforts.

Falconer

Did they just seriously rip off Autism Speaks’ puzzle motif?

Not that Autism Speaks doesn’t deserve it, stupid “charity.”

Argenti Aertheri

Falconer — it would appear so, though I’ve seen the puzzle motif on all things ASD related. And it’s not presented as feeding bleach, that is obviously eyebrow raising, nope, mix these things and have them drink this stuff… that is actually quite dangerous mixed like this.

Combined with the idea that science ignores parasites in humans, but we all give our furred ones heart worm pills… selling desperate people a supposed cure for “the symptoms” (note the lack of acknowledging it as a real disorder) something that supposedly kills the parasites science overlooks… its either brilliant, or evil, depending whether you put money making or human life first.

Probably does kill any worms that might be hanging out in your kid’s digestive tract though, not much can survive at that pH… including human cells.

Spindrift
Spindrift

There’s just no bottom of the barrel, is there?…

Bina
Bina

“Men have had a very rough go of it… just recently!” and “Geez, can we have one conversation about feminism in which men are in charge?”

The MRA movement in a nutshell. (Sorry I’m so far behind the thread, but this was priceless!)

ParadoxicalIntention
I dont know much about bdsm but I know an abusive relationship when I see one.

Falconer

“Sometimes, the Internet just makes me want to break things and throw a humongous tantrum at stupid people. But I’m an adult, so instead I use my words, like “fuck” and “them.”

It’s ok, breathe deeply and slowly and think of the kitties.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

If you like kittens, you may be familiar with ‘The Mighty Boosh” and Naboo’s therapy techniques….

Alan
Lol XD no I’m not familiar. If there was a book I would check it out. Better than those autism and ‘christian beatings’ books that’s for sure.