#gamergate anti-Semitism antifeminism cultural marxism evil SJWs racism

"Cultural Marxism" explained in helpful infographic (that somehow manages to avoid using "Le Happy Merchant") With BONUS CRAP PICS

It's all so obvious now!
It’s all so obvious now! (Click to enlarge.)

I‘m sorry, did I say “helpful?” I meant “so convoluted that the diagram-maker eventually gave up drawing lines between boxes because even he couldn’t figure out how all these things allegedly relate to each other.”

I should note that in addition to being a mess, this diagram is also complete bullshit, and that “Cultural Marxism” only exists in the fevered imaginations of neo-Nazis, conspiracy theorists, #Gamergaters and Bernard Chapin? For an actual history of “Cultural Marxism” as a boogeyman of the far right, see here. For more lovely “Cultural Marxism” infographics and memes, several of which do include “Le Happy Merchant,” see my earlier post on the subject.

Oh, ok. Here (after the jump) is a crapload of BONUS images I found by searching for “cultural marxism,” this time on Twitter.  [CONTENT WARNING: All the bigotries, actual pro-Hitler Tweets, cartoon semi-nudity.]

Note: This last image, as you’ve probably gathered, is not an actual SPLC poster. A Google image search shows that pretty much the only people who’ve posted it online have been right-wing asshats. For example, this guy, who regularly posts images even worse than the ones I’ve got here.

H/T — @jason_a_w on Twitter, for posting the convoluted  diagram, sent to him by someone who thought it actually made sense, and maistrechat, for linking to Jason’s Tweet in the comments here.

Bill
Bill

So today I learned that some people equate beliefs such as “racism is bad” with the planned extermination of a group of people. How deluded do you have to be for this to even start to make sense?

Ellie

Speaking of racism, there’s this site called vdare. It’s basically a white nationalist site, but unlike sites like amren of stormfront it denies it and calls itself ‘anti immigrant. But The thing about anti-immigrant places like vdare, is that they’re not as much anti immigrant, as just plain white nationalist, albeit, a a ‘suit and tie’ type rather than frothing bonehead type. They piss me off because they go beyond ‘dog whistles.’ Most ‘dog whistles’ try to obscure their true intent to some extent. Vdare is essentially screaming quacking ducks who deny they are ducks or quacking.

In fact, vdare especially annoys me just because they’re do dishonest about it. He, they, walk and quack like a duck, but just won’t say “yeah, I’m a duck.”

Basically, it’s not immigrants they’re against. It’s non white immigrants, and black Americans, and basically, yeah. Vdare denies being white nationalist and says they’re anti immigrant, but their founder is an immigrant, many writers are immigrants, and most of the content that includes immigrants is only used to Bash non white pEople. They even bash non-white AMERICANS on behalf of… white IMMIGRANTS. Of course, the site also frequently bashes non white non immigrants who’ve likely been in america longer than many of their writers as well, if not more. Sure , they might accept people from these non-white groups on an individual, everyday level, but you get what I mean. If they just came out and said ‘we’re white nationalist and are against non-white immigrants’ it’d be way more honest.

So yeah. Vdare annoys the shit out of me because they aren’t dog-whistle racists, but plain as day white nationalists who deny it while having it written on their forehead and oozing from their pores. What’s it called when it’s a ‘dog whistle’ without the effort to obscure anything?

Ellie

I think I’m going to be sick. I really, genuinely think I’m going to be sick.

My favorite lolbertarian. “”I’d give up my vote if that would guarantee that all women were denied the vote” cause freedoms and individual liberty”

Ellie

^ I wuv her. She writes like she masterbates with a thesaurus

Magpie

Speaking of reasons to give up voting

A baby aged 12 weeks, a boy aged 18 months and their parents have been struck by lightning at a polling station on the Gold Coast.

alaisvex
alaisvex

Wait … hold up … *squeegees eyes* Is that Simpsons one actually saying something positive about the UN !?

Yep. Because the UN resolution mentioned bans “deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part.” How that’s being done to white people, though, I’m not entirely sure.

weirwoodtreehugger

I don’t even know what libertarians think libertarianism is. Because even if you repeat their exact talking points back to them and criticize them, they will tell you that you don’t understand what libertarianism is.

I got into an argument with someone who said he was against socializing risk like the Republicans do. I pointed out that even that when the government enforces contracts, and libertarians love contracts, that was actually a form of socializing risk. All he could do when confronted with his hypocrisy is tell me I was failed by public schools and didn’t understand libertarian thought.

BVH
BVH

Re:Ilana Mercer

I see she’s one of those Democracy vs. Republic libertarians …so uninformed about political systems she’s not aware that a Republic can also be described as a type of representative democracy. 🙄

“Lolbertarian” is perfect. Wish I thought of it.

dhag85

The leader of our third largest political party, which self-describes as non-religious and centrist, has made the statement that the previous state church has been “taken over by Cultural Marxists”, and that Protestantism needs to be reinstated as the state religion in order to fight Islam.

So.. what country should I move to? Any suggestions?

Orion
Orion

Australia
Here our nut jobs are just much more straightforward racists or they are business leaders who confuse their class interests with the national interest.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Ok, I just want to point out #UKIP next to the most blatant White Supremacist, Neo-Nazi keywords in at least three (3!) of those tweets.

They really are the new BNP/ National Front. I wish our media outlets would stop treating them like vaguely distasteful buffoons rather than the pernicious fascists they are.

I mean, these are the bastards who won the European Election.

Scarlettathena

Okay, first, when did genocide become a verb?

Second, is it really genocide when you are talking about people who don’t exist except in your imagination? I always thought genocide was killing of actual living, breathing people, not the potential people that white women are not having. I know these people are all in a panic because overall white people are having fewer babies, and countries like Italy have a birthrate that is lower than replacement rates. In fact, Italy’s population relies on immigration right now – genocide! (I don’t think low birthrates are a true outcome of ‘cultural marxism’ or hatred of one’s own race or what have you, but a result of higher living standards, costs associated with having children, and many more causes. IOW, I don’t think women want fewer babies because they feel guilty being white).

Basically, my translation of all this is: “The world doesn’t work the way I think it should and people like me are not on the receiving end of groveling, accolades and blow jobs for just showing their face in public! waaaaahhhhh!”

Scarlettathena

On the topic of libertarians, back around 2007-8, I got interested in people who claimed to hold these beliefs, and I found someone who seemed reasonable to chat with online. He actually went by the nym John Galt (for realz!). He seemed a nice guy but totally mired in his white, cis-het, able-bodied privilege. When we got to talking about regulations, he mainly would rail on that there were too many, citing some Heritage study. I’m all for meaningful regulation, and I would be happy to advocate getting rid of meaningless rules, so I asked which regulations he would eliminate. He could never answer. It was simply the number of rules that bothered him.

He was also against anything we might call the commons. He thought all land and roads should be private. I think this is a terrible idea and would cause all kinds of headaches, but John Galt had ideas about how this would work. He would never elaborate, so I can’t even imagine.

He hated unions, of course. I defended them because as a college professor I see the benefits of uniting to get good work conditions, salaries and benefits. In my profession, a single professor has little power (yes, there are star professors, but I am in a teaching college where the biggest part of my job is teaching, working with students, committee work – not research), so a single person going to ask for a raise would have no power. John Galt told me what he heard was I had made poor life choices if my position had not bargaining power.

I also got the feeling from him that people who owned businesses were the most intelligent, incisive and sharpest people who always and only made decisions for good. No one who owned a business was capable of making a poor decision, having a bad day, being incompetent or spiteful – or even just greedy. Or really, greed was good, it led to charitable decision…. Also, individuals were always in the position, better than experts in a field, to decide for themselves issues like climate change. He himself “had doubts” about climate change because Al Gore! I kid you not.

I really appreciated that I could chat with him calmly and he seemed sincere, but overall I took away from it that for his ideas to work, we all had to be identical humans with superhuman abilities.

talacaris

I’ve never understood libertarians who are anti-union. I mean, they are Private Associations of Individuals using their Skills and going together for leverage of their OWN Interests, you know something like what JG did with Galt’s Gulch, and if I remember correctly, the preliminary name for “Atlas Shrugged” was “The Strike”

mildlymagnificent

Speaking of reasons to give up voting …

I went to bed early and got up a while ago to hear the news.

1. Yay! We won the Asian Cup.

2. Yay! Yah sucks boo to the right wing carpetbaggers. They lost the Queensland election.

3. Sad. The father of that family has died – I think he was dead from the moment he was struck, they were trying to resuscitate him where they were hit. They were sheltering in a park they were walking through on the way home from the polling booth and the awning over them was hit by lightning. The mother, the newborn and the toddler are all in hospital and seem to be progressing okay so far. They’re all described as “stable”.

Fibinachi

Mud is one hell of a building material – as in, using it properly is hell.

Oh, sure. You built a castle out of rock. Big deal, hotshot. You had access to a material that retains its shape, doesn’t deal with water erosion, can be chipped into figures, has high shear and tensile strenght, is shock resistant and easily polished into a fine sheen. How nice for you.

Person over there? They built a functional home out of a material that can’t even retain a shape without proper heat baking procedure.

WithAZ
WithAZ

Wait, how have white people ever suffered being put in “conditions of life calculated to bring about [their] physical destruction in whole or in part”? Are they really so stupid as to compare ther conditions to those of Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto, or of Navajo in Bosque Redondo? You know, real occurences of real people dying? I’m gonna need a barrel of brain bleach to get these memes out of my head.

weirwoodtreehugger

For people who claim corporations are state fictions, they sure seem to fetishize them.

Cthulhu's Intern

I’ll do the same thing, BrokenValley:

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I know it doesn’t, but “genophilia” just looks like it should mean “I love genitals”

More like “I love studying genealogy”

If you know anything at all about archaeology, you know that cultures all around the world constructed huge palaces and cities and public works of art and massive feats of engineering.

First, this. Second, there were genuine differences in the development of technology and the accumulation of individual and public wealth – but those can be better explained by environmental factors than by human biology or super hard-ingrained cultural factors.

I don’t see how side-by-side photos of two men who are both pale-skinned but have few other facial features in common are supposed to prove that race is not a social construct. If anything, it serves as a very good demonstration of how arbitrary the boundaries of “race” really are.

I can only guess that the poster author took “race is a social construct” to mean “color is only skin deep” ie. that racial differences are very superficial and meaningless. Then they went on to prove that…black and white people look different aside from color.

davidgerard

“It’s so hypocritical for libertarians to be anti union. They claim they’re for free association when they’re arguing against the outlawing of discrimination in employment or housing but when free association benefits workers rather than business owners,suddenly they’re opposed.”

Libertarians and ancaps will happily contradict themselves. The essential point is freedom for themselves and their money.

e.g. It’s a trope that libertarians think discrimination laws are unnecessary since consumers can just boycott offending businesses. This doesn’t quite square with how libertarians absolutely shat when Brendan Eich was forced out of Mozilla by a consumer boycott over his unrepentant bigotry – no no, that was cultural Marxism.

Scarlettathena

Re: unions: What John Galt told me was he was opposed to people being forced to join the union and pay dues. I don’t know how universally true this is; my union does have an opt-out for conscientious objection, but objectors are asked to give money for some student fund.

The thing is, there are lots of people who dislike aspects of the union, but they are the first to call up the union rep when they feel they’ve been treated unjustly. Some people don’t want to pay the dues but want all the benefits. Human nature!

John Galt also didn’t like that national unions donated to campaigns or advocated for legislation. Relying on bosses to know what’s best and always act in the best interests of the company and the employee – and never mistreat anyone or make mistakes.

Some people don’t understand why they are paying dues. There are costs associated with being in a union. We pay lawyers at times to read or draft legal documents; sometimes someone with special expertise is needed to come in and negotiate an area. We have a secretary who gets paid. In our case, we have a great faculty member who can do the collective bargaining – he’s someone good with labor law, statistics and health care policy. He is a rare find. Some unions have to hire a negotiator. There may also be arbitration costs.

It may seem like negotiating should be a slam dunk. You come in with no-duh statements about the circumstances of your job; you present statistics or data or whatever; everyone shakes hands. But it is a power struggle, and it doesn’t matter what is rational if it will put another penny in the administration/management pocket.

People like John Galt are also surprised at some of the aspects of work that must be negotiated: like having your own office, having your own computer or phone, having access (keys) to the spaces you need access to, providing people with the means to do their job and safe environments to do it in. Negotiation isn’t just about money

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

The whole “you should be glad we enslaved your ancestors so you don’t have to live in mud huts” thing makes me angry because it’s wrong in like fifteen different ways. (1) some of those mud buildings are still standing after hundreds of years. (2) Have you seen the Great Mosque of Djenne? Those “mud huts” get pretty big and impressive. (3) What do you think brick and concrete are, exactly? “Mud” is a pretty broad term. (4) Africa wasn’t all “mud huts” when we went over there capturing slaves. Africa had ~great empires~ to rival anything Europe and Asia had going. Mali, Nubia, Abyssinia, fucking Egypt… (5) Africa isn’t all mud huts now. Have you seen Lagos lately? Cape Town? Nairobi? (6) There’s a lot of poverty in Africa, yes, but it’s largely a result of European interference. Using African poverty as proof of their inferiority is like hitting someone with your car and them using their broken bones to gloat that you’re stronger then them. (7) What is even wrong with living in a mud hut?

So much wrong in so few words. You might as well just say “I don’t understand anything about anything” and save us all a bunch of time.

I read a novel recently set in the Kingdom of Aksum. It was pretty excellent.

*grabby hands*

So.. what country should I move to? Any suggestions?

Sweden? I hear they’re proper misandrists over there.

Bina
Bina

Yup. Timbuktu alone is proof that those who think Africa is one big primitive grass hut…are full of shit. Which, by the way, is a lousy building material, but if dried properly, makes fairly decent firewood.

teiresias
teiresias

Ellie:

The really fun thing about VDARE is that it was named after someone who, if she survived to maturity, would have been raised among native Americans. Although nobody really knows for sure, it’s pretty likely that the Roanoke colonists fled the area and were assimilated into the local Indian population, so…

sagenelunsjbar
sagenelunsjbar

As a norwegian I must profusely appologize for that horrid, almost 70 year old, propaganda poster! It’s truly embarrasing. Yours sincerely, Kathrine

dhag85

@emilygoddess

Sweden? I hear they’re proper misandrists over there.

Yup, the Feminist Party got a whopping 3.12% of the vote.

Sometimes I see people online claim the most fantastical things about Sweden. I’ve seen people say if you criticize feminism in Sweden you will be arrested immediately. I’ve seen claims that parts of Sweden are ruled by Sharia law. Once I even heard someone say because of communism (whut?), all Swedish gas stations (whut?) are closed on the weekends (whut?).

It’s amazing the things people say when they think nobody will bother with fact checking.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Yeah, MRAs like to use Sweden as an example of a terrifying matriarchal dystopia. Hence my really lame attempt at a joke.

Karalora

I love the internationality of the Internet. I’ve been on discussion fora where some American neoconservative nitwit starts pontificating about those “Nordic socialist hellholes” only to have actual Scandinavians turn up and say “What hellholes? We like it just fine. In a lot of respects, we feel sorry for you Americans.”

Even if you look at that as unions strong-arming the workers to get their money…

Fibinachi

Hey, the gas stations were closed on weekends.

40 years ago.

I guess 4 decades behind the times is pretty good for retrograde talking points.

BVH
BVH

@Scarlettathena

Thanks for sharing your close encounter with “John Galt”. <<< In happier days I had no idea what that name meant.

In 2006-2007 I became involved with a supposed anti-war group that I would find out later was a front for spreading reactionary , anti-semite material while pretending to be lefty liberal SJW types. It gradually came out that not only was every active leader connected in some way to Big L libertarian or reactionary politics, but the women who invited me was completely aware of this, even while presenting herself as a liberal mom with radical leanings.

I'm glad your John Galt was sincere. Unfortunately, I know for a fact, thanks to work done by the anti racist network, the group that I was involved with was a con and they knew what they were doing: going out of their way to recruit leftists as their "shield". They knew, contrary to public statements, they were NOT a liberal anti war group and therefore shouldn't have pretended to be one. But I guess "Join us and help us push repackaged anti-semite conspiracies" really doesn't bring the bodies in.

These people had the most elaborate confidence games and justifications. And they were quick to suggest the government was watching them when things didn't quite go their way.

But they were also sloppy. I was very new to the Internet, but I soon learned to Google things, especially information that was not adequately explained. Many times this didn't help, because reactionary spam dominated the "air waves" so to speak. And the group, while having a history back to 2004, wasn't observed to be blatantly sleazy then. But one member had information about his disruptive actions on the local Indymedia newswire and it was very easy to find. (This included being kicked out of a lefty radio station for screaming c*unt at a female volunteer) And so I started asking questions. Then it got—weird.

An elaborate social engineering scam was used to deflect criticisms, playing off the idea that "agents" might be observing/infiltrating the group. Since they were pretending to be an anti-war group it's not quite as ridiculous as it sounds. People first were friendly, then tried to manipulate, sometimes sounding like they had information about conversations I had, but not with them. I would ask my so called friend, the lefty liberal mom who claimed to be an experienced activist, and she'd shrug like she had no idea. When the subject of agents came up, she'd be all, "Hmm, maybe?" But when the subject of seriously investigating this more came up, she'd either laugh it off, or act like it's no big deal or it's just crazy people.

In retrospect, to someone reading this cold, it looks pretty bloody obvious I was being conned, but it happened over a series of 8 months and it's not so obvious when dodgy events are separated by days or weeks. And how many times does anyone pretend to be your friend to con you politically? Just money, sure, but to sell an ideology?

I broke off contact with my “friend” when it was too obvious the new personal information the so called “enemy/agents” had could have only come from a close source. This was during a time the racist connections to the group’s activities and networks became more and more clear and I was one of the people demanding answers.

It took several months to years afterward to get proof there were never any agents/crazy people. They were all working together, from the beginning. And two of them have direct connections to the national Libertarian Party… that go to the top.

Oh, and they also had an MRA. My “friend” told me he was for “men’s abortion rights”. I’d never heard of such a thing. If I knew what I know now….

I never saw or heard evidence of this on the list. But, months later, I caught him posting MRA/men’s abortion rights bs on forums. But AFAIK he NEVER expressed these ideas in person. You would never guess, he played the radical lefty to the hilt. So how did she know?

Many people might be too embarrassed to admit they were conned for months. Unfortunately for them, what ever embarrassment I might have is dwarfed by my rage that people collaborating with Nazi sympathizers dared to drag me into their political cesspool. I’ve hated Nazis since I knew what one was. Too many libertarian “celebrities” have associations with Nazi apologists for me to ever give them the benefit of the doubt again.

blog.voyou.org/2007/09/23/scratch-a-libertarian-find-a-nazi/
splcenter.org/blog/2013/04/26/ron-pauls-new-organization-reportedly-stacked-with-extremists/

The result is I have a strong ANTI-liberatian bias, even though I have a couple lefty lib friends. I never trust anyone active in Libertarian politics. I try to give individuals the benefit of the doubt, but that only gos so far if you’re part of a group that supports a man who made millions selling racist newletters for years and then lied about it.

Okay, Libertarian rant over.

Scarlettathena

@katz

“…Libertarians are 100% in favor of strong-arming people to get their money! It’s their favorite thing to do!”

Yes! But only when you are the rich Galtian genius!

@BHV

Wow! What a story!

I suspect the John Galt I had contact with of being racist. When some story about a white cop and a black man, he would always ask “What about black-on-black crime?” It was my first exposure to this question/technique of shifting race problem. He always pretended he liked black people and his son-in-law was supposedly black (who knows? It’s the internet, so that could be all ‘cool story bro’).

BVH
BVH

@Scarlettathena

The thing is, after researching similar groups–cults or with cultlike tactics–I have to remind myself I’m LUCKY. I got away. I was able to see it was a fraud and have proof– which is occasionally need to make take down requests and other reports–FBI, website hosts, etc–because my personal details are still posted online with vicious lies.

A couple years ago one of the idiots stalked me in a grocery store–and was escorted for the rest of his shopping experience by management. They bank on the hope you’ve internalized enough of the bullshit, especially the agents bit, that you’ll be too scared to talk to someone who can shut them down.

That has not worked out well for them. Unfortunately, by the time you KNOW its a con and can prove it, most of the statutes of limitations have run out for the stuff they’ve done. At least now it’s only a stubborn handful who won’t delete anything on their website. After the anti racists got through with them, they organize mostly in secret now. I think they invited Christopher Bollyn to speak last–just Google him. At least they’re no longer pretending not to be racist…

Re: John Gault

You’re right, it is the Internet, but that’s how these people start. There was a lot of that sea lioning on the list. I, too, was new to it. There were a couple people dismissing concerns as PC, and the PC police. I thought this was in good faith, but it’s just cherry picking news for obscure stories to support the idea the New World Order Police State is at hand. I can’t tell if your guy was racist or lying, but now that dynamic would be enough to send flags he was part of the Tea Party Borg(before the tea Party, but still) and wasn’t planning to leave the collective anytime soon.(hindsight 20/20 etc)

Off the top of my head, there seem to be several goals to sealioning fringe talking points on an email list dedicated to activists:

1. Identify people who are allies.
2. Draw out people with SJW sympathies(didn’t use SJW then, but it’s the same thing)
3. Try to infect them with propaganda
4. Failing that, try to drive them away

If the person is new to the list and fails to find a following, they’ll go away.
If they’re a long time list member and supported by the owners, they’ll get nasty or have friends post rudely to drive you away.

Either of those things are legal, if not civil. It’s when a fringe political list has moved to organize and recruit in person it can get nasty. Because now you know who THEY are. They need to discredit you, say your crazy, etc.

A topical example of these dynamics one only has to look at Gamergate. They are using exactly the same playbook fringe cult-like groups use to spread propaganda and control members.

I’m glad you didn’t get entangled with Gault any further than an online exchange. 😉

Scarlettathena

@BVH

It’s so good you figured it out! I shouldn’t be surprised at this scam, but I don’t think I would have thought ill of people.

Yeah, my encounters with Galt were on an atheist forum. All of his posts were apocalyptic about the fall of the US, hyperinflation, Obama as tyrant, and so on. I really just wanted to explore his rationale. One thing that’s good about internet discussion is you don’t have to answer posts right away whereas in a discussion, you feel pressure to answer. Also in person exchanges with people I know have gotten heated and that doesn’t help the thought process! It was interesting to ask questions, consider his answer, ask follow-up, pose questions and scenarios and see.

I don’t know how many right-wing enterprises are sincere and how many are scams. Maybe there are some of the left, but I feel like all these right-wing media personalities have a schtick attached to ad revenue, sometimes online content you pay for, books. Basically, the movement seems to be into merch at this point.

Good chatting with you!

BVH
BVH

@Scarlettathena

There’s definitely a money making aspect to many fringe right movements.
Re: Athiests

I’m not one, but I used to be a fan of Thunderfoot. You can imagine my disappointment, and in the general skeptic community after Elevator Gate, etc.

Sigh….

Nice chatting too!

Bonelady
Bonelady

I’ve always been under the impression that “genocide” was a noun, not a verb.

ParadoxicalIntention

KaraLora

I love it too, as an American (Is there a better term for that? I’m actually not fond of it due to continent names). We don’t get much culture ’round these parts, so I’ve learned quite a bit from the good ol’ Internets.

So thank you to all my friends who don’t live in the United States for giving me such vital knowledge!
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* (◕‿◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Karalora

Better term than American? There’s always Yankee if you don’t mind being flippant and sorta self-deprecating. Other than that…not really. “United States” doesn’t lend itself well to coining adjectives.

Argenti Aertheri

Lol, oh the “what to call myself besides American?” question! Always fun! Once this plays out more I’ll explain what I mean, but for now… USian? Merkin? (Yeah, no. That’s definitely got another meaning!)

For extra fun — are we from: America, the US, or the USA?

vaiyt

One of them is that colonial powers deliberately sought to destroy, hide and minimize evidence of the achievements of African people to maintain the narrative. The brouhaha about the Great Zimbabwe back then was precisely because it was something unmistakably African, too magnificent to fit in their theories and too big to destroy,

baroncognito

In reply to sff9:

It is a rather poorly designed chart. I mean, the box between Cheap Labour and Corporations and Taking Debt and International Banks doesn’t seem to have any direct connection to either. Unless cheap labour gives money to conditions like poverty?

And that box “Military Spending… computers, internet, satellites, moon” What does that have to do with anything? Is it supposed to be examples of bad things?

And a flow chart works better if you can avoid crossing lines. There are definitely ways to arrange it so as to eliminate crossing lines.

seraph4377

@ Karalora – Yankee? That might work for me, but anyone from the Southern United States would sooner burn Atlanta again than call themselves Yankees.

Criticaldragon1177

David Futrelle,

I’m amazed by all this stupid. Its hurting my brain.

ParadoxicalIntention

seraph4377

Yeah, that does have a bit of a history here in the States.

Argenti

For extra fun — are we from: America, the US, or the USA?

I always either say US or USA. I’ve learned to avoid “America”, because it has been brought to my attention that that could mean North America or South America, and as far as I know, we (thankfully) don’t own all of that.

I s’pose I could always go by “Californian”? Since that’s the state I’m from. I don’t know if everyone’s aware that that’s a state in the US though…

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I try to go with: “I’m from the (United) States”. The part in parentheses being optional.

Well, we certainly act like we’re our own country sometimes.

Zolnier

Just out of curiosity, are there any cultures, extant or historical, where an objective observer could really say the power balance was skewed towards women?

I live overseas and get asked where I’m from a lot–I almost always say I’m Californian, because that has a different (and more accurate) connotation than saying I’m American. Also I sound rilly, rilly Californian.

I don’t know if you could say there was ever a culture with a ‘power balance…skewed toward women’; I think you could say some cultures are more patriarchal/based on power than others; cultures that are not as patriarchal tend to be more egalitarian, rather than ‘skewed toward women’. A couple of examples of less-patriarchal cultures are the Iroquois Confederacy and possibly Minos.

But all cultures past and present lie somewhere on this spectrum, and many older cultures, including Sumeria and eighteenth century England, are actually further away from the traditional patriarchal power structure with respect to the position of women than we tend to appreciate. See Graeber’s Debt: the first 5000 years–I can’t recommend this book enough!–for the former, and my writing for the latter :)–I wish I could give you a good reference or two but can’t off the top of my head; maybe I’ll come back later and post some if I can think of anything concise. Unfortunately and surprisingly although many historians are aware of the ‘return to the parlour’ in the early nineteenth century this doesn’t appear to be a subject anyone’s taken on directly. I remember reading a quote from a young man in the early nineteenth century saying something like ‘my mother would go down to the pub on an afternoon and smoke her pipe and do business…but my wife will never do that.’.