#gamergate 4chan 8chan anti-Semitism antifeminism dark enlightenment davis aurini evil SJWs hate speech heartiste hypocrisy irony alert literal nazis men who should not ever be with imaginary women ever men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men playing the victim post contains sarcasm PUA racism red pill rhymes with roosh sarkeesian! straw feminists the spearhead whitepocalypse

Monkey Hippo Like Goyim: What you get when you do a Google image search for “Cultural Marxism”

Cultural Marxism in action.
Cultural Marxism in action.

“Cultural Marxism” – the alleged conspiracy of alleged secret Marxists allegedly trying to destroy Western Civilization through Political Correctness and feminism and racial equality – is a favorite boogeyman of the far right.

That includes, of course, large sections of the “Red Pill” world. Roosh V’s Return of Kings site publishes reactionary diatribes with titles like Cultural Marxism Produces Matriarchy and Tactics For The War Against Cultural Marxism In 2015; Heartiste rails against the alleged evils of “cultural Marxism, feminism, equalism, and … racial self-annihilationism.”

Though Cultural Marxism does not, you know, exist, the far-right obsession with it has made inroads amongst Men’s Rights Activists and #GamerGaters as well.

The Spearhead wrote about “the Menace of Cultural Marxism” as far back as 2009; more recently, British MRA Angry Harry has blamed it for what he sees as a cultural assault on “white heterosexual men.” A Voice for Men’s “Resident Historian” Robert St. Estephe, meanwhile, warns that “Cultural Marxism (“Feminism”) is About Destruction,” and that its insidious strategy “absolutely requires the destruction of the family and the emergence of authoritarian indoctrination of children.” And the MRA-adjacent right-wing videoblogger Bernard Chapin can’t shut up about it.

Among #GamerGaters the Cultural Marxist conspiracy theory is if anything even more prevalent. The bumbling would-be documentarian duo behind The Sarkeesian Effect are making Anita S’s alleged Cultural Marxism a big part of their story. (It’s a longtime obsession of the Anton LaVey-looking Davis Aurini; his shaggy collaborator Jordan Owen is still reading up on it.)

And on Twitter, #GamerGate footsoldiers warn anyone who will listen about the (cultural) red menace.

I should probably mention that the Cultural Marxist conspiracy theory is virulently anti-Semitic, with side orders of misogyny, white supremacy, Islamophobia, homophobia, transphobia and assorted other more specialized bigotries. For many of those on the far right, including numerous Manospherians, these are features, not bugs; they’re always happy for more excuses to rail against the Jews.

But not all #GamerGaters and Men’s Rights Activists are literally Nazis; indeed, many of them, including some who have embraced the Cultural Marxist conspiracy theory, like to think of themselves as liberals or even leftists. Some even profess great love for people of color, gay and trans folk, and many of the other groups that the far right loves to vilify – #NotYourShield and all.

If you know one of these people, you might want to point them in the direction of Bill Berkowitz’ still-relevant  2003 history of the CM conspiracy theory in the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Report, making clear how thoroughly anti-Semitic it’s been from the start.

But there’s an even easier way to reveal just how horrible most of those obsessed with the alleged dangers of cultural commies destroying the world really are: do a Google image search for “cultural marxism.”

Your results will be filled with some of the most vile propaganda this side of posters actually put out by the Nazis during their time in power. You will also see posters actually put out by the Nazis during their time in power, posted online by people who think that the Nazis had some pretty good ideas, if you think about it.

But don’t take my word for it. Here are some of the pics that came up in my results. I didn’t have to sift through pages of results to find examples this bad; these images are actually rather typical, and I’ve left out some of the worst. (You may recognize the “Happy Merchant,” #GamerGate’s favorite anti-Semitic caricature, in several of the pics below.)

[CONTENT WARNING: Every kind of bigotry you can think of.]

Yep, that's "the happy merchant" hiding under the stairs.
Yep, that’s the Happy Merchant hiding under the stairs.
And here's the Happy Merchant's twin sister.
And here’s the Happy Merchant’s twin sister.
Er, who exactly is arguing for "white genocide?"
Er, who exactly is arguing for “white genocide?”
Oh, of course. The Jews.
Oh, of course. The Jews.
Apparently when white people have children with people of color, this is "white genocide."
Apparently when white people have children with people of color, this is “white genocide.”

T8r4v-mOsjo

CulturalMarxism1

quibtravenbreath
I’m really not sure what Japanese schoolgirls have to do with it.

138524123202a3d1_lracialsuicide

Hey, it's GamerGate's imaginary girlfriend!
Hey, it’s GamerGate’s imaginary girlfriend!
And then there's this one. I censored the nudity.
And then there’s this one. The Happy Merchant returns. I censored the nudity.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Also Jews were forbidden to own property, so finance was one of the few trades available to them where assets could be kept liquid and freely transferred around or hidden. No doubt that fueled quite a bit of anti-semitic paranoia.

The conspiracy theories really got going with the Rothschilds, who genuinely did control much of the world’s money supply at one point (they were the precursors to the IMF). Nazi Germany seized much of the family assets, so the family isn’t nearly as powerful as it once was, but a lot of those pins-and-arrows charts still point to them as the master puppeteers who manipulate governments and currencies behind the scenes.

maghavan
maghavan

@Leum,

“Racial” hatred of Jews came into being during the 19th century. Obviously, Religious-based hatred far predates that – it entered Xtianity by the 2nd century and well before Christians had state-power on their side. Technically, Antisemitic means the race-based hatred and not the religious based hatred.

The truth is that it goes back even farther. There was real antipathy towards Jews in the ancient Greek speaking Mediterranean on account of the way traditional Jews rejected some aspects of the Hellenistic culture. (Funnily, this was NOT behind the acts of Antiochus IV despite the widespread misperception). Many Greeks saw this as fundamentally anti-social and had a grudge about it of the “What? You think you’re better than us?” form. In Alexandria and parts of Syria there were occasional full-scale murderous riots by Greeks against Jews (and, also, by Jews against Greeks). Josephus speaks of a town where, upon hearing of the revolt in Judea, the Greek population seized the pretext to massacre the Jewish inhabitants – masking a criminal acting out of old hatreds behind a charade “sign of loyalty” to Ceaser.

maghavan
maghavan

Although I guess Antisemitism has evolved to mean all the hatreds at the moment.

maghavan
maghavan

If Feminism is Cultural Marxism, then is Anti-Feminism Cultural Fascism?

Oh and my favorite picture in that Google search didn’t even make the cut:
comment image:large

Love it, particularly how he flat-out admits that he has not changed at all since he was a small child.

Dodom
Dodom

Hey, I’ve seen some people post some blog relevant stuff in the comments before, so it’s alright if I’m out of topic, right?
I was just linked that: https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2tzjih/cosplaying_vivian_james_at_magfest_a_tale_of
I could hardly believe how malicious/oblivious one had to be to write a post like that. That guy went to a gaming con broadcasting hostility to a large portion of gamers, and then claims martyrdom when people were upset! Are they just completely devoid of self-awareness? Or just trolling? Not sure which is worse, if one is ready to make people who spent lots of money travelling to a con feel unsafe all the time they’re there just to troll, it’s as bad as meaning it!

Shalimar
Shalimar

I always wondered what nazism repeated as farce would look like. Now I have seen those cartoons and it seems incredibly pathetic.

Robert
Robert

I’m reminded of an exchange I had with an earnest Marxist* at college. He was explaining how the Right was winning (this was in the early 1980s) because the different factions worked together on common goals, whereas the Left was preoccupied with internecine conflicts over ideology and tactics. I commented that I’d read the same thing in a party newspaper recently. Really? he asked, which one? Spartacist Youth League, I said.
Fuckin’ Trots! he snarled.

On the peculiar elasticity of the term as used in the OP, there’s Orwell in his essay on politics and language, observing that ‘fascist’ had ceased to have any meaning in propaganda beyond ‘someone with whom the speaker disagrees’. And that was eighty years ago.

Robert
Robert

Sorry, forgot the footnote
*That may be redundant.

sparky
sparky

Wow. Those memes are disgusting.

Just, that first one. So, if you believe that the Jews and the leftists and the Marxists and the Illumanati and the reverse vampires and what-have-you are conspiring together for world domination, how on earth is encouraging necrophilia going to accomplish that goal? In what way is necrophilua going to accomplish world domination?

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I seriously can’t help but think the people who make these kind of memes, as well as believe this bullshit, spend way too much time on the internet and have disconnected from reality altogether.

Despite all the stories I hear about all the militant Dworkinites, white genocide, how political correctness is “destroying” our culture – I never come across any of these things in person. It doesn’t help the first of the three always involves a university campus or being right next to one (it’s never anywhere else) and the latter two being cases of people demonizing changes they happen to just not like. Of course, they want to feel like crusaders of justice than just admit they’re bigoted pieces of shit – since that kind of honest would come from being self-aware.

White people are still around and still pretty powerful, and it seems to me that “political correctness” hasn’t stopped the waves of shock-for-the-sake-of-shock bullshit that nonetheless permeates in stand-up comedy, comicbooks, videogames, and movies.

It’s just like that hub-bub over the all-female main cast being announced for the new Ghostbusters movie: is one movie with a prominent female cast really going to “ruin” movies? The majority of roles in movies tend to be for men and a popular franchise, The Avengers, is made up mostly of male characters and one token female member. Four of those characters had movies centered on them, even multiple ones, whereas we’ve yet to even see an announcement for a Black Widow. I mean, why not? Scarlet Johansson is a highly desirable actress whose already had the main role in a number of other films, including more recently, and yet no one at Marvel has considered making her the main character in a film?

It really is a case of taking shit for granted, since the only time these numbskulls make such complaints is when some go out of their way to make a TV show or movie or comic more culturally inclusive to add – y’know – some much-needed variety to an otherwise heavily monochromatic selection.

sb77
sb77

Not only have proponents of the “cultural Marxism” myth never read Marx, but they have never read a single page of any of the theorists they claim invented it. (Gramsci, Adorno, Benjamin, Horkheimer, Marcuse.) I’m not saying you have to read someone’s entire bibliography in order to criticize them, but if you’re going to call yourself an expert on a supposedly existing conspiracy of “cultural Marxism,” it might be a good idea to get a handle on what its proponents actually wrote. At least make sure they said what you accuse them of saying. But no, it’s easier to reduce them to supervilains in an anti-Semitic fairy tale.

freshlysqueezedcynic
freshlysqueezedcynic

“Or I know some kids are actually taught to sing “Baa-Baa Rainbow Sheep” in nursery, despite literally nobody having a problem with the descriptive use of the colour black to describe non-human things.”

You “know” something that has been wrenched entirely out of context by right-wing newspapers in a long-running campaign to discredit left-wing councils. It never had anything to do with race. Here’s Private Eye explaining the full context:

“For the record, the charity Parents and Children Together, which runs the two play groups at the centre of last week’s outbreak, told the Press Association that “children at the two family centres sing a variety of descriptive words in the nursery rhyme to turn the song into an action rhyme. They sing happy, sad, bouncing, hopping, pink, blue, black and white sheep etc. This encourages the children to extend their vocabulary.” Curiously, this explanation went unreported by any of the national papers.”

This story has been rolling around the right-wing press in the UK since about 1986, when The Sun was pretty much making stuff up about the “loony left” on a regular basis (those involved are fairly open about how much bollocks they simply made up). It flares up from time to time, and is always, always nonsense.

“Cultural Marxism” is clearly doing a pretty bad job, since a lot of perfectly sensible left-leaning folk I’ve talked to for some reason believe the “Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep” myth.

ParadoxicalIntention

It’s times like these I love being mixed race because I like knowing that my very existence upsets these people. I don’t want to be liked by such unpleasant people!

Well, technically, most white people, like myself, are of mixed race in my experience anyway. I mean, if you ask a lot of white people, they’ll be able to break it down by percentages or fractions. (I don’t know my bio father’s side of the family though, so I’m just a mutt, and I’m quite content with that.)

Which makes me laugh that some of these same white people are silly enough to whine about a white person dating, marrying and/or having kids with someone of a different race. It’s like “Didn’t you just say you were 1/4 Native American and 1/2 German and 1/4 *insert race here*? Why are you so freaked out by this?”

I agree with your assessment up until a point: The OP said that they were consistently misgendered, and that’s really fucked up. We shouldn’t immediately assume that someone is a cis male because they agree with GG and are cosplaying as their little manic-pixie dream mascot in a rape meme hoodie. There are people who are of other genders who are very supportive of GG, as is their right to do so, even if I and many others think that it’s not a good idea or in their best interest.

(Wasn’t there a trans woman who recently left GG after they started doxxing other trans women? I remember commenting on it here somewhere.)

However, I’m really thinking this is going to be used as another example of “SEE?! You SJWs are all terrible people! HOW DARE YOU MISGENDER SOMEONE!”

So, yeah, misgendering this person was shitty of the people at MAGfest, even if they had no way of knowing that this person was nonbinary.

Other than that, the rest of the post is self-martyrdom. I mean, that’s like walking into an all-African-American church in a KKK hood, and then crying about how you were thrown out.

OP’s dressed as the mascot for a “movement” that has harassed, sent death and rape threats to female individuals in the gaming community. Nonbinary, transgender, genderfluid or even female or male, that’s antagonizing people, and they shouldn’t be surprised that people were upset about it, nor that they didn’t want to be anywhere near OP.

Of course, that would take some self-awareness.

Mari
Mari

The oddest things lead one to delurk.

Shortly after I married, we moved to Indiana, and a coworker informed me that she was in a mixed marriage “too,” and she wondered how I managed. I hadn’t actually thought of my lapsed Catholic/non-observant Jew marriage as mixed, but I asked just how her own relationship qualified. “He’s Lutheran.” She was Methodist.

I took this bizarre statement home, and my husband commented, “Maybe we should move to California, where a mixed marriage is a man and a woman.” (Instead, we wound up in Iowa, which had SSM before it was finalized in California. Go figure.)

Moving to the Midwest taught me just how small a percentage of the US population is Jewish. I grew up in New Jersey, and as a child I thought the world was pretty evenly divided among Catholics, Protestants, and Jews. It’s all about what’s familiar and what’s not.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

That’s my grandma right there.

“If your sister marries a [racist slur for an Asian person] or an [racist slur for an Aboriginal person], she’s out of the will!” “… Our great-something-grandfather was Chinese and your great-something-uncle was Aboriginal.” “SO?”

*facepalm*

mildlymagnificent

Ewwwwwww! Gross.

Tilt your head sideways and squint a bit at the bottom right corner of the last assemblage of “memes” and you can read “Not all sex involving children is unwanted”. (I don’t want to check up what the pie/pic heading on that sign stands for.)
————————————

Marx.

I doubt these people have read any Marx at all. I edited my husband’s thesis on Marx and his philosophical milieu and their precursors. Not only do I know more about all of Marx’s writings than all of these dimwits who’d be lucky to know an occasional extract from the “Manifesto”, I also knew more than any reasonable person would ever want to know about Engels, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Rousseau and fifty other, mostly dreary, all men, writers and thinkers. (Thank goodness most of it has receded into lost memories. That was a lot of unwanted intellectual baggage to carry around. The little bit of German I learned in order to check the excerpts and quotations has also trickled away for lack of use.)

I put Marx in much the same box as Freud. Obviously clever and well-intentioned, but totally prisoners of their own time and place and status. Marx’s ideas about the inevitability of the historical progress and eventual overthrow of capitalism was just one version of the common notion of the time that history was a fairly steady march of “improvement”. From a distant golden age peopled by “noble savages” through to a utopian future of brotherly love with nasty warlords and feudalism and vile capitalism as necessary evils along the way. And make no mistake. Capitalism and industry of his time was vile. He was right about all of that.

The idea of a functioning democracy with universal adult suffrage — meaning no restrictions on the basis of class, sex, property, race — would have been just as foreign to them as multiculturalism the way we understand it would be. (Well, at least here in Australia.)

Bina
Bina

That was some good lulz. Welcome aboard! Did you get your scented fucking candle yet? Click on the purple seal on the right-hand sidebar and all will be revealed…

Well, if that’s the case, then I’m the product of a mixed marriage too…my dad was raised Catholic, my mom Lutheran Protestant. In fact, there were mixed marriages all over both sides of my family tree, same basic thing. FFS, we’re all German!

Mari
Mari

Thanks, Bina! I’ve lurked for a while, so I HOPE I know the rules, and I live in terror of the Blockquote Monster.

My husband and I have, together and separately, lived in several states and foreign countries, and Indiana still wins as the weirdest spot. A friend moved there after we left, and she confirmed this independently. “All kinds of crazy stuff happens, but they just say, ‘Those kinds of things don’t happen here,’ as if it negates their existence. They said it about the hostage situation last week, and when I pointed out there was one last month at the strip mall, it was as if they didn’t hear me.” In her southern hometown, as in my old neighborhood, they would have hashed over memories of hostage situations past and present for hours. Indiana is a collective delusion that it’s normal. It’s not. Nowhere is. Except the Normal in Illinois, and even that’s just a name.

Mari
Mari

“Crazy” in the previous comment was a direct quote, and did not refer to a person…

Bina
Bina

Hey, no worries about the c-word…you can use it in a quotation, last I checked. The only time it’s not kosher is as a descriptor for MRAs and the like, because stupid isn’t a mental illness.

Ha…funny, that’s what all my friends from around those parts tell me, too. Makes me wonder how the state managed to produce Kurt Vonnegut. I’m Canadian, so I count myself lucky that the worst thing we have up here are just plain old dorky rednecks who eat too many doughnuts at Tim Horton’s.

Bill
Bill

In 1933, the Soviet Union made being gay a criminal offense. Anyone convicted would be sentenced to five years of hard labor. The notion that promoting gay rights is promoting communism shows a profound ignorance of history. Then again, the MRAs have never been known to let facts get in the way of their arguments.

genedaniell3
genedaniell3

Waiter, I’ll have a large slice of paranoia pie with bigotry sauce and a generous sprinkling of wingnuts.

There seems to be a general tendency for people to be general-purpose bigots — anti-semitism and homophobia and racism and misogyny seem to flock together, so one might well conclude that there is no specific aspect of the objects of bigotry that is a rational basis for their beliefs. The Cultural Marxism thing follows a familiar pattern: it results from slapping together a number of only superficially related things rather than coherent thought based on thorough understanding of the history of ideas.

Marx wrote a very shrewd analysis of the early industrial age but many of his predictions for the future did not come to pass (how shocking). In particular he thought that capitalists would resist to the death every effort to improve the lot of the workers, and he failed to consider the effect that the broadening of the franchise might have. Marxism can be a useful tool for analyzing the role of class and economic power in society, but as my father used to say (correctly, I think) Communism became a sort of atheistic religion with Das Kapital as its bible, very dogmatic and doctrinaire. Marx is useful as long as you don’t treat his writings as Holy Writ. I don’t think Marx would be a Marxist if he were living now.

somethingchronic
somethingchronic

So many who use to the term are neo Nazis, ‘race realists’ or misogynists. What does that prove?

There’s link to a Marxist conference to be held in Melbourne, found in the comments section of one of the articles linked.

There’s really nothing in the agenda that speaks to a proletariat struggle in the classic Marxist sense; instead class refers soley to gender/ethnicity/sexual orientation. Maybe this is because the low socioeconomic, working class demographic includes straight, white, blue-collar males?

lith
lith

@Cyberwulf:

It’s like stepping on someone’s foot.

I’m always terribly English about it, my instant reaction is to say sorry. For them standing on my foot. Because clearly it must have been in the way.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Well, you see, while we’re all getting gay-married and having goatsecs (because that’s what we’ve been told to do) the Jews will be making off with ALL THE MONEY behind the scenes. Remain vigilant!

boogerghost
boogerghost

“You look like a Marxist
Walk like a Marxist
Talk like a Marxist
But I got wise…”

(By the way, just in case the name didn’t already give it away and anyone misinterprets Steve Greenberg’s involvement in that first one, here’s the original: http://greenberg-art.com/.Toons/.Toons,%20social/GayMarriage.html He’s a political cartoonist for liberal and Jewish publications.)

Kakanian
Kakanian

@WithAZ

It’s more exact to say that the jewish communities in Europe were the piggy banks of the Middle Age and Early Modern period – kings and lesser nobles smashed them whenever they were pressed for cash they could not procure otherwise. Credit itself wasn’t much of an issue, as many kings had the right to seize old and issue new coinage, which could then so be devaluated at their leisure. Economic theory held it, that money was something kings produce and validate via their charisma/their magical powers first and foremost after all.

The lower end of the social strata generally procured credits via pawnbrokers, a business Jews did enter in some numbers when they were allowed to and were driven from regularily as part of the piggy-bank stratageme.

The so-called Hofjuden are interesting insofar as they apparently replaced the older systems of procuring technology and international contacts via your feudal liege. Their main business was apparently acquiring exotic goods and specialized technological knowledge, mainly concerning the production of gunpowder and weaponry. The connection between the production of gunpowder and Court Jews became so stereotypical that Christians even all of a sudden discovered jewish black powder weapons in the Old Testament.

Of course, come the 18th century, Jews were all of a sudden considered too dumb for the manly sciences again. One reason given was that they supposedly had menses.

sb77
sb77

“If anything is certain, it is that I, myself, am not a Marxist.”
-Karl Marx

Taking everything Marx ever said as gospel is ludicrous. I happen to think that nobody ever did a better job of explaining capitalism and exploitation, but Marx also wrote some puzzling, even nonsensical things. That said, the best of his analysis is remarkably useful to this day.

The hysteria that conservatives are able to whip up just by invoking his name is amazing to me. At the end of the day, he’s just a philosopher. I mean, it’s not like those of us on the left side of the spectrum go on and on about “cultural Burkeism” or something equally ludicrous.

Ellesar

I have never been bothered by being called a cultural Marxist, as it is always from people who talk out of their arse. I am certainly left leaning, and am not hostile to cultural Marxism. I am also not bothered when the same sort of people call me cat lady, or bitter lonely old spinster, or feminazi – sticks and stones mate, some of those terms aren’t even insulting!

I saw Angry Harry mentioned in the middle of all that. You will not find it now, but a few years ago Angry Harry’s blog was ( it can only be described as) preoccupied with posts and discussions about sex with under age girls. There was even a vote on what age appealed to them the most, and sadly Angry harry’s reader were as likely to be attracted to a girl under 13 as a woman over 28. So it is kind of ironic that PIE (paedophile information exchange) is mentioned under ‘cultural Marxism’. I guess it is only paedophilia when the paedophiles are attracted to boys.

sheehank

Does le happy merchant count as racist if you’re using it ironically? Sometimes I like to pretend to really hate elves,(As in, the fictional people with pointy ears who live in forests) so I’ve got some repurposed nazi crap on my harddrive.

Kakanian
Kakanian

I imagine the meme wouldn’t make too much sense without its original background in anti-semitism.

Falconer

It’s so steeped in anti-semitism, I wouldn’t make any reference to it, myself, but that’s just me.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@sheehank:

Hipster racism is still racism. I’ll bet you can find better ways of imagi-hating elves than borrowing from Nazi propaganda.

Orion
Orion

@AltoFronto

It’s worth mentioning that I’m Australian, but I have had similar issues with student Marxist groups to what you describe. The ones who were more intelligent and honest admitted they didn’t have good answers, that a revolution with sufficient audacity to not be violent would require conditions of incredible immiseration that they could not advocate for (unlike some absolute scum who oppose any welfare because it might prevent the “working class” from being sufficiently miserable to revolt).

As far as the economics goes I meant they are stuck up their own butts like the Chicago/Microfoundations people because their economists are obsessed with solving problems created by their own conceptual frameworks (the problem of “objective value” in Marxism or “Irrationality” in Microfoundations).
Like class perspective is useful for criticism in economics, but it’s a more difficult framework to make it stand on it’s own and align with reality.

Bill
Bill

Also, I just noted but the one pyramid image misspelled the word rich as “ritch”.

yutolia
yutolia

“divide and concur”

Meaning you separate both sides and then pretend that you agree with both of them behind the other’s back?

I love these kinds of screw-ups :))

alaisvex
alaisvex

Medieval kings were often very reliant upon the Jewish communities in their kingdoms to lend them money. It doesn’t surprise me that they would appoint at least one Jew to their courts. Let’s also not forget that if said kings were unable to repay their debts, they often found it simpler to resort to mass deportations, inquisitions and incitement of antisemitic riots instead of honoring their lawfully binding obligations.

Don’t forget that it was also easy for nobles dissatisfied with their king to attack him by proxy by going after “his” Jews. Also, don’t forget that Jews were very useful as bureaucrats because pretty much Jewish boys were so thoroughly educated in their scriptures and religion. Christian families typically thoroughly educated only one son, which meant that there were many more Jews who could occupy bureaucratic positions. (Incidentally, a bureaucracy that was totally loyal to the king could help reduce the power of the nobility, giving them yet another reason to incite violence against the Jews.) Therefore, Christian literati had a vested interest in using Jewish “otherness” to eliminate their academic and bureaucratic competition.

BVH
BVH

*presses de-lurk button*

Yeh, right? But no one says anything unless you look “mixed”, in other words, not like anything that easily fits into a box and/or what that person is expecting. Speaking as someone who is of European decent, but doesn’t look it(1/4 English, 1/4 German, 1/2 no idea but has moderate built-in sunscreen 😉 ), I refuse to let any idiot label me. I’ve been assumed to be Hispanic, Black, Pakistani, Indian(both types), every sodding thing except Asian. If I was to choose an ethnicity it would be Nerd. On forms I always check “other” if I can.

Oddly, the more tolerant culture has progressed, the ignorance of the casual observer has increased. When I was younger, non racist adults might ask, “May I ask what your ancestry is?” This never sounded insulting or threatening, and it’s understandable why they were curious. [ I wasn’t exposed to non-paleface communities until I was 12.] Now 50/50 a clueless hipster at a faire thick with fellow SJWs might blurt, “Are you Mulatto?”

Things don’t go well after that.

Short version: technically who my ancestors are are none of anyone’s business. Only polite, respectful questions are ever entertained, and then only after a minimum of civil socializing.

To see these people carry on about “race” mixing is deranged and delusional. Some else said it:

These people have nothing else going for them expect their privilege to get skin cancer faster than everyone else. Also implicit is they have no problem dumping this garbage on children: whether it’s children socializing with un-color-coordinated playmates, or children who don’t obviously resemble their parents. If both ‘rents are blondes, and their kid is brunette or ginger, are they going to bleach the kids hair?

This shite is far reaching. I once had a job at a hippy grocery where my manager of all people asserted, “Well, I think everyone is a little racist.”

Now considering the above–being of European decent, ie, 99% of my friends and associates are “white”— I thought, “So you’re saying no one will ever really see me as a human being unless I color-coordinate my social life?”
My next thought was, “Fuck you”.

Mind, she was not a bad person. I would not call her “racist”. Just blitheringly ignorant about what she was saying.

My hats off to Mr. Futrelle. I’ve been lurking mainly to understand the whole Gamergate fiasco. You’re writing has helped unravel much of the madness.
Carry on with the good work, sir.

Kakanian
Kakanian

I doubt that av medieval monarch would have much use for somebody trained in jewish scripture and law who’s writing all of his notes in Hebrew when all the international correspondence is meant to be held in Latin and at least a third of the laws are germanic. I think Jews only ever made some headway into bureaucracy after some of the barriers concerning them entering universities were lowered – before that, you’d usually get the lower clergy to do the writing.
Early modern bureaucracy also was kind of wierd, in the sense that they weren’t totally dependant on the king. In fact, the king basically only invested them with the right to fulfill a certain function and maybe a minimal stipendium, which would barely cover the necessities. Everything else they required to make a living they were supposed to get from the people requiring their services. That applied to all bureaucractic functions, down to the door guard that would bar people from entering if they weren’t renumerated by them with a few coins. Town bureaucracies were financed along those lines as well.

This habit is the reason why commoners sometimes appear in images of royal french gardens – they paid the guards, the guards let them in.

alaisvex
alaisvex

Kakanian,

They were not merely trained in Hebrew and in Jewish law. They lived in a Christian society, had to work with the Christian courts (which they typically did very well in, as medieval legal scholars have shown), and were very familiar with Christian religious practices as well (as records of debates between Christians and Jews over the which religion was superior shows). The common assumption used to be that the medieval Jews of Ashkenaz were very insular and self-segregating, but more recent scholarship (i.e. within the last twenty years), starting with Ivan Marcus, has challenged and virtually smashed that assumption.

As for the usefulness of Jewish education…it did not merely make them familiar with their own language and with their own scriptures. It also developed their skills at memorization, analysis, and understanding of how law works.

As for your doubts that Jews would have held bureaucratic positions…R.I. Moore’s book Formation of a Persecuting Society goes into the Jewish role in Christian governments and in the Christian literati’s interest in persecuting Jews in pretty great depth.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

“#GamerGaters and MRAs: when you embrace the CM conspiracy theory, you’re getting into bed with the people who made these pictures.”

No really, aggrieved entitlement opens the doors to fascist thinking? Tell me it ain’t so!

zarathustratheserpent

Reblogged this on Zarathustra the Serpent and commented:

BVH
BVH

A general point missed by the modern reader is that in the middle-ages( post Roman Empire to just before Renaissance) the average person in European countries was illiterate. Degree varied by region, but, contrary to that one scene in the musical Camelot, it’s very unlikely any peasant doing field work could read a king’s proclamation.

So imagine this group of “funny people”, with funny ways, on top of all that, wrote things down in books and these books, which were not Christian scripts guarded by monks, cuz that’s different, had some sort of influence over the lord/baron/king/ only guy not covered with shit.

It’s hard for modern people to see how strange and mysterious that looks. Now add a history of Christ-killer propaganda. It looks down right demonic. Frankly its surprising that Jews didn’t suffer more persecution than they did.

lostsomething
lostsomething

“Hey, it’s GamerGate’s imaginary girlfriend!”

Oddly my reaction was, “Hey, she’s not scowling for once!”

yoursexymaster

Sweet god will you ever use grammar?

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

…I find bigotry nazi-ating…
* flings bad pun and ducks *

marinerachel
marinerachel

I LOVE puns and Nazi lols!

I’m so happy right now.