antifeminism chartbusting citation needed creepy edmonton it's science! misogyny MRA patriarchy your time will come YouTube

Feminism's inevitable death spiral explained in simple infographic

Woah, dude. It's like it's actually spinning.
Woah, dude. It’s like it’s actually spinning.

Well, fellow members of the feminist sector, it’s been fun. But we’re all doomed, as this helpful infographic, prepared by Men’s Rights Edmonton, makes clear:

feminismdeathspiral

Ok, maybe “clear” isn’t the word I was looking for. Also, I left out the first part of the diagram. Does this make it any clearer?

feminismdeathspiral2

Hmm. Is it too small? Here’s the whole thing, full sized.

That didn’t help either?

All right, then let this young fellow in the hippie costume with the obviously fake beard and the, uh, big knife, explain it in this video.

I’m being told that this is not actually someone in a hippie costume with a fake beard, but Nick Reading of Men’s Rights Edmonton, and this is just how he looks now. The knife thing is a little creepy but I suppose it’s still better than when he looked like this:

nickreadingevil

And, no, I didn’t draw that or project it onto your computer screen direct from my nightmares; that’s from a pamphlet Reading put together to promote his joke candidacy for Edmonton City Council as a member of the Patriarchy Party.

I’m not sure these MRAs understand public relations quite as well as they think they do.

H/T — r/GamerGhazi on Reddit

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

Wait, masculists and masculinists are different? I mean, aside from the part where one of them is a misspelling of the other?

Tabby Lavalamp

My city used to be known for SCTV, Wayne Gretzky and a giant mall. Now we’re known for Men’s Rights Edmonton.

Fuck.

marinerachel

We don’t blame you.

Chapwilliams
Chapwilliams

If your diagram requires listing Thunderf00t as a “positive” figure; you lose. Thanks for playing.
(also subtle ableism, thats a nice bonus)

Bina
Bina

“Activated Non-Feminists”? Sounds like something you find in water filters, or something.

In any case, yeah, something’s circling the drain and heading down, all right. But it’s NOT feminism.

Mike Booth (@somegreybloke)
Mike Booth (@somegreybloke)

So the target is for feminism to become as popular as racism and then get its own TV channel and talk radio shows?

Cool story bro.

Bina
Bina

Also, I just read “MGTOWs” as “PIGTOWs”. Day = MADE.

Kane Thari

What exactly is a unicorn feminist? I always thought that unicorns were notorious slut shamers, only giving virgins their time of day.

laughnwitch
laughnwitch

Wow David you are on a roll today. This was the most ridiculous thing I have seen in while. I mean this guy must love graphics and terrible ones too. I love how they come into all discussions with feminists completely poisoned to any kind of middle ground. I also think/know that it is the MRA MGTOW “wizards of wizchan” who are becoming obsolete and on some level they know it so they cue up these disconnected from reality fantasies which are nothing more than projection.

ceebarks
ceebarks

Stage 5: PROFIT!

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Tabby @2;

I’m an Edmontonian too, and the fact that MRAEdmonton is actually a thing makes me incredibly sad and angry. It also makes me think I should perhaps not drink the water right out of the tap.

I’d point out how wrong this is by showing how the “Activated anti-feminists” are shown as a diverse group with many labels while the “Feminism”-ists are either “Feminists” or “lapdogs” shows a pretty ridiculous bias and othering… I’d do that, but I’m pretty sure everyone here got it, and I’m pretty sure that no one at MRAEdmonton is going to give a damn.

@Kane Thari, I don’t know what the heck they’re talking about with Unicorn Feminists there, but I know that Unicorn Feminism is a thing, and it’s pretty cool http://www.unicornfeminism.com/

Ada Lovelace was awesome.

magnesium

Hey, at least they correctly categorized Christina Hoff Sommers as a non-feminist! Excellent work, Men’s Rights Edmonton, you got something right!

Is the Target Zone anything like the Danger Zone from Archer? And/or is it associated with The X-Men?

Randomavatar
Randomavatar

This is one of the stupidest things I’ve seen all week.

1) The whole damn thing is just wordy jargon for “if we keep yelling louder at feminists pretty soon people will see we’re really the reasonable ones!”

2) That entire thing is only consistent with its own logic and barely so at that, no step along the chain at any point is a result of the previous one, it is just another event that happens to support the expected outcome without basis. Even assuming a feminist lie and an MRA pointing it out how are the unengaged actually going to place trust in either group or even pay attention? if group x doesn’t care about feminism then they won’t care if feminists lie and they damn well won’t place any stock in the MRAs yelling about it.

3) The list completely ignores groups with no stake in the spiral, so it could be entirely about an inconsequential spat on the internet.

4) The Whole damn thing is wrong anyway.

5) I shouldn’t have expected otherwise from MRAs

6) I’m not sure which offends me more, the backwards ideology or the willful ignorance.

7) Kittens

8) >Profit

Mouse Farts
Mouse Farts

I’m curious about Unicorn Feminists too! The only thing I can think is that it has something to do with, like, rarity? As in the named women are “real” feminists, which are rare and mythical creatures…?

But I’m not feeling super fantastic atm, and this theory does not entirely make sense to me. Maybe I’ll wander off and watch cartoons instead, because now I have reminded myself that I do like Rarity the unicorn.

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

By “unicorn” it means “exceedingly rare”. In this case though it’s misogynistic women who agree with MRA ideas who claim to be feminists. The Unicorn Law site puts the unicorn term to far better use by pointing out how rare it is to see women in programming and how that needs to change.

Whiskeyjack
Whiskeyjack

Add another deeply ashamed Edmontonian to the roster…

This might be my first comment here. Thanks, MRE. :/

ej
ej

How does one become an “activated anti-feminist?” Do you have to be involved in some sort of nuclear accident to activate your anti-feminist powers?

srssrsly

Are masculists and masculinists appreciably different? They occupy two different sectors in the chart. I’m trying to understand if this is a division in anti-feminism or a typo.

kirbywarp

So basically, feminists are pokemon? And also the Matrix, because how clever the “activated” non-feminists are red and the feminists are blue and for some reason there’s a purple pill as well?

How does feminism have a death spiral if there were a successful critique of feminists that wakes up the “middle mass?” If a group has already been proven to lie, how does telling a bigger lie make everything reset?

Is there just a database of blank template diagrams, and these jokers just spend time coloring it red and blue and putting in anti-feminist text to PROVE that feminism is totes doomed? Any day now?

There is only one response.

All I know is that to me
You look just like misandry
Take a look at all my charts
Watch out, I’ll prove you wrong

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a feminist death spiral, baby
Right round round round

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a feminist death spiral, baby
Right round round round

ParadoxicalIntention

One thing that just makes me laugh is that the whole flow chart starts off with “Feminists Lie”.

It’s like that’s the one thought that keeps their little worldview bubble un-popped.

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

According to Wikipedia “masculism” and “masculinism” are just slightly different words for the same thing. Reading the article, it sounds no different from meaning “MRA”.

kirbywarp

I think whoever made the chart just couldn’t figure out how to make an odd number of evenly-sized pie slices, so therefore “masculists” and “masculinists,” offset from each other so nobody would notice.

weirwoodtreehugger

What is their evidence for feminism becoming less popular? Just because a few people turned against it, doesn’t mean everyone is. What about people like Beyonce who used to reject the feminist label and has since embraced it. Something tells me she’s more influential than Thunderfoot.

There’s still a ways to go, there’s still setbacks but I think we’re slowly winning and the manosphere is just backlash. When I was teenager, affirmative consent wasn’t a thing. I learned no means no. My mom most likely didn’t even learn that while she was coming of age. Marital rape was still legal in some states back then. Just as an example.

InvestigationCone
InvestigationCone

“The target zone is where everyone holds feminism in the same disrepute as racism…”
Well that certainly says a lot about these sorts of folks.

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

The designer could have replaced one with “father’s rights activists”. Or are they not a presence any more?

@weirwoodtreehugger:

What is their evidence for feminism becoming less popular?

The same place that tells them that feminists claim women never lie, or that the “activated non-feminists” have made a valid critique about anything, or that feminism is less well liked now than they have been throughout history (as if the current anti-feminist backlash was anything new).

Rrrrrright up their bum.

Tracy
Tracy

@Tabby @Scildfreja 🙂 I’m actually surprised there isn’t an official MRA-Toronto yet, esp. after the mayor we just had.

HUGE surprise that MRAs fail at infographics as well as memes, posters, satire, general likeability, etc.

@Rabukurafuto:

Good point. I am totally shocked at how poorly designed this chart is!

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

Are they sure they haven’t mixed up “feminism” with “gamergate” in that first infograpic?

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It looks like a badly conceived, confusing board game. Oh look, I drew the Queen Frostine card! I’m going to skip over the Swamp of Superficiality, and put two hotels on Anti-feminists! Everyone put their left foot on red!

sparky
sparky

So, when a superficial malevolent collides with an activated non-feminist, the activated non-feminist then breaks apart and releases more superficial malevolents, which then collide with other activated non-feminists. If there are enough activated non-feminists, then this process will expand exponentially until critical middle mass is reached. Also, all this needs to be explained while holding a knife.

@sparky:

While being filmed with a wide-angled lens. Because the best way to come across as serious and professional is to look like you’re standing in front of a funhouse mirror.

Boogerghost

Okay, who else thought of board games?

Can we please make this a board game.

I’ll bring the laminator.

boogerghost
boogerghost

Oops, sorry @Buttercup, missed that you got there first. 😀

Flora
Flora

Wait, there’s people who are like “Yeah, racism is such bullshit”?

I guess I hang out with too many soft racists who think that racism USED to be a thing, but not any more.

[/depressed Albertan]

MaudeLL

@Tabby Lavalamp

If it can make you feel better, I still think ‘giant mall’ when I think of Edmonton.

Flora
Flora

** To clarify, by “hang out with”, I mean “am forced to associate with for work purposes.”

Ira Shantz-Kreutzkamp
Ira Shantz-Kreutzkamp

There are two things that really, really, make me shiver with rage ti even glance at this loathesome thing.

The first is more superficial, more shallow. I despise how the internet has become filled with folks who can’t seem to read a newspaper columns’ worth of content without going tl;dr, who can’t just write a damned essay on how they feel something works. Looking at this Technicolour pile of garbage, I am outraged at the fact that this is, at base, a substitute for explaining ones’ position with actual bare-faces words, that they’re relying on netizen culture’s familiarity with charts and diagrams to lend some threadbare, moth-eaten credence to their insultingly shallow, vile ideology. You can’t “refute” this because it technically isn’t saying anything at all. You could email the maker, but you can’t check their sources or consult their data or anything except condemn their total disregard for and malformed understanding of how things, people and movements work. I hate this because it abuses symbology and real, scientific models and charts that make the natural world and society explicable at a glance to present their facile and farcical filet of fecal matter as something more than a patchwork fever dream.

The second is that I am deeply ashamed of my countrymen, that any of them could be swayed with this pack of comforting lies and hollow blather. I know Alberta is more conservative and right-leaning than much of the country but COME ON. This is grotesque. And the slam against racism as lacking “repute” is a blood-boiler all its own. If they think racism is a joke let them visit a reservation, or even take a gander at the problems Quebec has had with its minority populations. Hey, maybe they could ask the Japanese in B.C. how stuff went in the 40’s.

Bunch of fako pseudo-intellectuals who need to read some damned books.

leftwingfox

Surprising number of Edmontonians here. (Lived there from 1980-1997, and a few times on and off since.) I think this guy has ridden the Mindbender a few too many times.

Mouse Farts
Mouse Farts

My soon-to-be-FIL is one of these. Sometimes Mr. Farts echoes those attitudes because he was raised that way and since his father is otherwise a good, caring man, there are a lot of assumptions he makes that he’s never thought to question. Then we have a fight about it because I don’t put up with shit like that from my partner (I can’t really call his dad out because that would be disrespectful, but I have different expectations for a spouse) and he is stubborn and doesn’t like admitting he’s wrong, and I walk away to cool off, and then the next time whatever we fought about comes up, he casually echoes my arguments and loftily insists that he came to these conclusions by himself and also he has always thought that. And then I give him the Eyebrow of I See Wat U Did Thar, he turns slightly pink, and he gives me ice cream or something. /tangent

I also think that, while the chart is really stupid, I believe that the line about feminism being as outdated as racism is being misread: they compared feminism to racism, which means they’re saying racism is stupid and outdated. We’re reading it as if they said ANTI-racism. Credit where credit is due, right?

At least, that’s how I read it after I stared at it a second. I might be wrong, because I ruptured an ovarian cyst this afternoon and I feel hideous. 🙁

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

Reminds me of an incident when I was talking on a forum about sexism in fandoms, and one poster dismissed everything I said by claiming everyone already knows about fandom sexism so no one should bother writing carefully-worded and researched essays on it because they won’t move anyone and just annoy people; instead charts would show the proper evidence and might convince more people! Obviously. And this was the most intelligent negative response I received; the rest were mostly “Women need to grow thicker skins!” and “Feminists want to force everyone to be equal and without individuality!” Everyone there was so privileged it hurt.

FifthInterval

At what point are people supposed to yell “Wolverines!!!!” ?

idahogie

I don’t know why it cracks me up, but in the comments, he says it’s not even his knife. He borrowed his roommates.

kirbywarp

Wow. I mean, I know if I want to be convinced that a movement is good, the very best way to do so would be to call me a “stupid little shit” over and over, mock all the sites I like, and tell me that a website represented by a literal swastika will tell me how the world really is.

Yessiree.

Pelagic
Pelagic

Oh okay, so I guess the MRAs will be first against the wall when the revolution comes?

greydawnbreaking
greydawnbreaking

@Tabby Lavalamp

Can’t help with Gretzky but if it helps, to me you’re still known for Eberle and Hall?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Those death-spiral graphics look like intestines. I wonder if that was intentional.

bekabot

Needs a few wolves and some kittens. They wouldn’t make it any clearer but they might make it less dreary, which would be an improvement of sorts.

Tabby Lavalamp

@greydawnbreaking I have no idea who those are, so I’m assuming hockey players. 🙂 (Yes, I’m a bad Canadian…)

1 2 3 4