#gamergate gullibility rhymes with roosh TROOOLLLL!!

If a #GamerGate-r plagiarises the John Birch Society on your blog and no one notices, does it make a sound?

Dwight D. Eisenhower: A Gawker Media shill?
Dwight D. Eisenhower: A Gawker Media shill?

Reaxxion, the world’s crappiest right wing woman-hating excuse for a video game site, has now officially responded to my post revealing that a GamerGate manifesto they recently published was literally a repurposed John Birch Society newspaper ad from the mid-1960s, with words like “communist” removed and replaced with their GamerGate equivalents.

Whether the, er, “author” of the post was trolling, or just the world’s least subtle plagiarist, it was a giant embarrassment for Roosh and Reaxxion. And so, in the course of a nearly 1000-word post, Reaxxion “ethics officer” announces that they’ve shitcanned the author – and congratulates the site for its heroic bravery for throwing out a writer who copied his entire post from an old John Birch Society newspaper ad from the mid-1960s, with words like “communist” removed and replaced with their GamerGate equivalents.

That’s all well and good, because journalists aren’t supposed to copy pretty much their entire posts from a John Birch Society newspaper ad from the mid-1960s, with words like “communist” removed and replaced with their GamerGate equivalents. If you’re an editor and catch a writer doing this, you’re supposed to send that writer packing. (Remember Stephen Glass?)

But Roberts ignores what is really the most interesting and revealing thing about the whole incident, which is that a writer copied his entire post from an old John Birch Society newspaper ad from the mid-1960s, with words like “communist” removed and replaced with their GamerGate equivalents – AND NO ONE NOTICED UNTIL I POINTED IT OUT.

And why is that? Because the hysterical anti-communist rhetoric of the original ad sounds pretty much identical to the ridiculously over-the-top rhetoric that’s characterized GamerGate from the start. And it’s rooted in the same sort of reactionary politics.

Which is itself even more embarrassing than the plagiarism itself.

The John Birch Society, if you don’t already know, isn’t just a right-wing group. It’s a group so far to the right that even the National Review has denounced it. As a Southern Poverty Law Center Intelligence Report notes that for years those on the left and on the right basically saw the Birchers as “the political equivalent of an addled uncle sent down to the basement rec room to drink, rant and hopefully pass out” before he had a chance to thoroughly embarrass the whole family by saying something truly dreadful.

I found the Bircher’s newspaper ad in a newspaper from 1966. At that time, the Birchers were fierce opponents of the civil rights movement in general and Martin Luther King Jr. in particular, labeling him a tool of the communists. As the SPLC report notes, Birchers feared that “the African-American freedom movement was being manipulated from Moscow with the goal of creating a “Soviet Negro Republic” in the Southern United States.”

Of course, the Birchers saw communists hiding behind every tree and under every bed. Indeed, the group’s founder, Robert Welch, was convinced that even President Dwight Eisenhower was a treasonous Communist puppet, and that LBJ was plotting to turn the United States over to the Communists even as he sent troops to fight against the Viet Cong.

So congratulations, GamerGaters, you’re now as officially ridiculous as the John Birch Society.

It might be a good idea to reflect a little on your life choices.

ceebarks
ceebarks

oh, peas, go do your own research, rightwing person. How old are you, anyway?

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

Ah, did I miss the fun? Maybe he won’t stick the flounce.

gillyrosebee

I love the disingenuousness of posting a bullshit strawargument, avoiding every response and then flouncing away shaking their head about how awful people are because they believe “strawargument” and isn’t that just terrible?

Whinger: “Why don’t you filthy liberals consider babies human?!”
WHTM: “Um, dude, of course fetuses are human but they aren’t yet people, you need to balance that against the needs of the actual living person outside of the fetus.”
Whinger: “If you don’t consider kids people, at what age are you allowed to kill them because they are annoying?”
WHTM: “Dude! We’re not talking about kids, we’re not even talking about fetuses who *could* survive outside the womb!”
Whinger: “Well this pregnant woman who said hello to me in the grocery store the other day is totally disappointed by the fact that you won’t tell me what scientific evidence you have to *prove* that babies aren’t human and deserve to die!”
WHTM: “NO ONE IS SAYING THAT BABIES AREN’T HUMAN!”
Whinger: “You are all so mean! I mean we agree on things like the internet is cool and rain is wet, why can’t you just agree to disagree on the fact that women are stupid and can’t be trusted to know whether having a baby is a good idea for them? I’m a feminist because I said so, and it’s so rude of you to tell me I can’t be just because I’ve got a penis!”
WHTM: “WHAT?!? I MEAN, HOW… WHERE THE… WHAT?!?!
Whinger: “Okay, fine, I’m going to go play with my toys now, and I’ll come back when you aren’t being so mean.”

gillyrosebee

In unrelated news, “shit-spitting pus-weasel” is a thing of beauty! Definitely +1 internets to you, M!

gillyrosebee

Maybe he won’t stick the flounce.

He didn’t, he just went off to stink up some other threads.

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

Troll has gone over to the Roosh thread. FLOUNCE FAIL! (As is pretending to be agreeable.)

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

*And is…

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

Ninja’d!

Right Wingnut
Right Wingnut

“If you are indeed male, feminism isn’t for you!” — ParodoxicalIntention, explaining how men cannot be feminists

If you disagree with this statement, please speak up.

I guess I can’t actually leave this thread without people complaining anyway? Bummer.

Now I’m gonna be a really really REALLY big boy and leave now. To play with my toys. As asserted by other threadgoers. TBH I feel less hated and more “omg look at all the internet people lovin’ me everywhere I go!” Can I post my Tumblr here too?

So I kinda skimmed this thread, but as far as I can tell the takeaway message is that exfoliating someone is murder. Close the spas!

thebewilderness

You just get creepier and creepier with every comment, d00d.

kittehserf - MOD

Learn to read for comprehension, troll.

“Feminism isn’t FOR you” means it isn’t aimed at you, not that you’re not allowed to have anything to do with it. It’s FOR women. It’s to liberate us. Nobody’s saying a man can’t be a feminist ally. We’d very much like that to be the case. But the movement isn’t ABOUT you, and that’s just too hard to bear, isn’t it?

I’ve lost track of how many times this troll’s said he’s going to flounce. At any rate, the flounce fail counter must be ticking.

Right Wingnut
Right Wingnut

@Katz: exfoliating someone else against their wishes is distasteful at best. Killing them would be murder.

Unimaginative

Kinda late, and obviously not going to make an impact, but I didn’t say fully self-actualized, I said fully-actualized. The point being that an actual, existing, really human being has rights that are NOT TRUMPED by the rights of a potential, possible, might-one-day-be-a human being if it’s lucky and survives gestation and birth.

Right Wingnut
Right Wingnut

@Unimaginative It’s utter chaos, no point shall be made. But thanks for clarifying anyway.
I just have a hard time imagining drawing a line at where a fetus/embryo inside the womb is less worthy of rights than one that’s gotten out.

That’s like thinking a teenager is less human than an adult simply because s/he hasn’t turned 18, isn’t it?

gillyrosebee

No. No, it isn’t. Not remotely.

isidore13
isidore13

Why is a woman less worthy of rights than what’s in her womb, Right Wingnut?

kittehserf - MOD

What part of the word “birth” do you not understand, moron? Why does something inside my body have more rights than I do?

gillyrosebee

Oh, and katz, if you can’t find pure olive oil soap, you can make it yourself. It’s super duper easy and relatively cheap.

thebewilderness

I find it hard to believe that trolly mcTrollerson does not know that 30% to 50% of pregnancies spontaneously abort within the first trimester. Therefor I must assume that he is one of those who wishes to charge women with murder when their pregnancy aborts either spontaneously or is induced. There are some very creepy d00dz in the US. Probably not just there but I am thinking there is a heavy creeper concentration.

kittehserf - MOD

thebewilderness, women have actually been arrested after spontaneous abortions in the US, haven’t they?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@kittehserf:

Good god I hope not, and I sincerely doubt it. What I would believe is that women have been excommunicated for spontaneous abortions, or something like that… but arrested? We aren’t THAT far gone. Yet.

gillyrosebee

No, kittehs, you’re thinking of women being arrested for having had miscarriages, which is rare but it happens. There was a case in Utah and one in Florida fairly recently, I think, neither of which are very surprising places to hear about that kind of nonsense.

mildlymagnificent

Is this a measure of humanity, then? How exactly did scientists determine when life begins? If scientists reach a different consensus later, will we accept it as gospel truth as well?

Begins? Begins???? A zygote/blastocyst/foetus isn’t made from a collection of inert chemicals which magically becomes alive. We are all of us, as well as all the living things around us, part of a gigantic, continuous heritage of life.

As far as a foetus becoming a person, which is what I think you’re getting at, there are two issues. One is consciousness and biology generally. All the information we have so far indicates that a foetus from say 26 weeks to full-term has much the same mental status as a person in a coma as well as being in real danger of not surviving ouside the woman’s body. There simply isn’t enough oxygen in their system to support substantial brain activity. A foetus becomes a baby with a functional brain when they get their oxygen directly from their lungs rather than someone else’s bloodstream. After they’re born.

But all of that is really irrelevant, it’s just biology. The other “person” issue is the bodily autonomy issue. Even if a foetus had exactly the same qualities and functionalities and status as a child or a full-grown adult, they’d have exactly the same right to demand that a woman risk her health and her life to provide life support for that individual.

None.

If she decides to do it, it’s entirely up to her. If she initially agrees but finds the task too onerous, she can change her mind. If she decides that she won’t agree to it at all, then that’s her decision. Hers. No one else’s.

thebewilderness

Yes, we have gone way past that. Women are being arrested for failure to produce a viable human resource in several states. They have also been forced to undergo c sections and been incarcerated for seeking prenatal care and confessing to having used drugs in the past. Most laws have been improperly applied to poor women forever in the US. One creepy sheriff wanted spontaneous abortions reported to him within 24 hours so we mailed him tampons with red ink on them. Effing asshat.

ParadoxicalIntention

Right Wingnut

So feminism is a woman only thing now, like ManBook?
Have I really reached a place here where people insist their genitals are evidence of their superiority? Don’t get me wrong, I expected that from men’s rights activists. But I didn’t expect so-called feminists to have so much bile towards someone who agrees with almost everything they stand for.

No it’s not. It’s specifically aimed at women, that doesn’t mean men can’t benefit from it. For instance, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is aimed at girls, but that hasn’t stopped grown men from liking it.

Genitals =/= Sex. Please don’t be transphobic.

And drop the “But I agree with you!!!” bullshit. You obviously do not. You’re being extremely disingenuous and it’s getting rather dull.

except I’m not going to be personally injuring you simply because I don’t believe everything that you do. Nobody will ever believe everything that you do. Do you react to them in the same manner?

When someone “doesn’t share the same beliefs” as me, that’s fine. When they use those beliefs that I don’t share to say that they think women shouldn’t have bodily autonomy is where I get snippy.

And no one is “personally injuring” you. No one has come to your house and broken your kneecaps. Your feelings are hurt because we didn’t give you asspats for being an “awesome feminist”.

I suppose I don’t see what scientists say as so black and white.

Because they’re held to higher standards than “Because I say so”, which include years of testing and theorizing and rigor. They test, test, and test again, over and over to make sure that they’re correct. It isn’t “But I think fetuses are people!” and that’s that.

And yeah, if science comes to a different conclusion, then we will discard the old facts-that-are-no-longer-facts and move on to the shiny new facts. Because science, bitch. That’s how it works.

If something is proven false, we move on. We used to think the world was flat and everything revolved around it. Now we don’t because we’ve proven that’s not true. Boom.

No, I said that some people don’t feel comfortable with men being feminists, but would rather have them as allies (and allies that don’t try to say they’re feminists and then insist that women don’t have bodily autonomy because a clump of cells is more important than they are, and then insists that women are wrong and they’re not really feminists because they don’t agree. Fuck you).

What I said was:

If you are indeed male, feminism isn’t for you. It benefits you, but it’s not for you the same way that LGBTQA+ Rights aren’t for straight people. Men shouldn’t get pats on the back for holding feminist viewpoints when I and many other women are demonized for being feminists solely because we’re women.

Don’t cherry-pick my arguments. I bolded the important bit you seemed to have forgotten to read right after you got your underpants in a twist. Feminism benefits you, but it’s not directly meant to help you. It’s women first, because they are more disadvantaged than you.

And stick the flounce this time, please.

ParadoxicalIntention

Right Wingnut

No, because the teenager is already birthed, and is capable of thought and life outside of the womb.

It’s not a matter of simple age, it’s a matter of physical development. A fetus is not as physically developed as an already birthed (and aged) teenager. A fetus needs to live in a womb (in almost a parasitic fashion) until it’s physically developed enough to be birthed.

Unimaginative

“Spontaneous abortion” is the medical term for miscarriage. “Induced abortion” is the kind that’s done on purpose.

Unimaginative

Wow, and *I’m* the one whose handle is “Unimaginative”.

That line is birth. Inside the womb, it’s a fetus. After it’s born, it’s a baby.

kittehserf - MOD

gillyrosebee – I was conflating “miscarriage” with “spontaneous abortion” in the sense of it being effectively the same, rather than the stage of pregnancy, I think. At any rate, women have been arrested for pregnancy-not-carrying-to-term-and-resulting-in-live-baby.

ParadoxicalIntention

mildlymagnificent

None.

That makes a LOT more sense than what I said! May I use this response in the future?

kittehserf - MOD

Unimaginative – oh good, thanks!

ceebarks
ceebarks

Wasn’t there a high school in Texas where someone found a fetus in a trash can and they had helicopters circling and the sheriff interrogating people? I’m like… wtf is WRONG with these idiots?

IIRC, eventually school staff figured out which poor girl had miscarried in the bathroom and got the sheriff to call off the dogs, but it was just beyond ridiculous. Miscarriage is commoner than headlice. Sheesh

mildlymagnificent

ParadoxialIntention

Go right ahead.

(I’m not sure that it’s all my own work anyway. I’ve learned a lot from other people.)

kittehserf - MOD

AAAAH now I’m imagining miscarrying headlice!

gillyrosebee

Re: miscarriage/spontaneous abortion, I have an (admittedly somewhat thinly founded) understanding that “spontaneous abortion” is the one that happens much earlier in the potential pregnancy, and can consist of what seems as a slightly heavier period, while a miscarriage is what happens at a later stage of development and is usually more substantial.

But it’s a distinction that makes little difference for our purposes and I’m honestly not sure why I felt the need to try to make the distinction, sorry.

ceebarks
ceebarks

Sorry, bad turn of phrase

kittehserf - MOD

gillyrosebee, no probs!

ceebarks – eh, no worries. Even if I am now reliving that “cockroaches bursting forth” scene from the first Creepshow film, thankyouverymuch.

weirwoodtreehugger

Not surprisingly, it tends to be poor women of color arrested for a miscarriage. They also tend to drug test poor WOC during labor using a test that often returns false positives and then using the test results to take custody of their babies away. It’s horrible and until they start doing it to middle and upper class white women, nobody will care.

kittehserf - MOD

Oh, and is it just me who keeps thinking that brown pumice stone on the left in katz’s comment looks like a chocolate cookie?

thebewilderness

Miscarriage is simply the polite euphemism for the clinical term abortion. The pregnancy aborted sounds bad and peeps can’t tell if you are a good girl who lost their pregnancy or a bd girl who got rid of it and cripes on a cracker that shit is effing important to asshats.

thebewilderness

Cookies. I thought you were offering troll house cookies.

kittehserf - MOD

WWTH, I am shocked, shocked I say, that this disproportionately hits poor women of colour.

kittehserf - MOD

I’d offer the troll cookies if they were actually made of pumice.

kittehserf - MOD