#gamergate gross incompetence gullibility PUA reactionary bullshit red pill rhymes with roosh

Roosh V's game site Reaxxion tricked into publishing an old John Birch Society pamphlet as a #GamerGate manifesto

#GamerGate: Now taking inspirarion from the people who put up this billboard
#GamerGate: Now taking inspirarion from the people who put up this billboard

Reaxxion, Roosh Valizadeh’s embarrassment of a gaming site, recently published am apocalyptic GamerGate manifesto under the title “#Gamergate Is A Critical Battle In The War To Save Western Society.”

In the manifesto, posted by someone calling himself Allan Quatermain – presumably not his real name – defines GamerGate as

a grass roots consumer rights affiliation of people, men and women of good character, humane consciences, and principled beliefs [who] have voluntarily joined together to combat more effectively the evil forces which now threaten our freedoms, our hobby, our way of life and the civilization we love.

Quatermain described the enemies of #GamerGate in similarly vivid terms. The evil Social Justice Warriors, he wrote,

seek always and everywhere to bring about more interference, less individual responsibility and an amoral way of doing things. On the plain of action, until the SJW’s can be stopped from their subjugation of all western society, there will be no opportunity for us to move forward at all. …

They deceptively appeal to every motivation in human character, from sordid selfishness, to practical politics, to misguided idealism. They have gradually beguiled a lot of very good people into joining the attack on us, until the maligning of #gamergate has probably exceeded in intensiveness and extensiveness that faced by any other organization in all of western history.

I was all set to write an essay describing how the rhetoric in Quatermain’s manifesto resembles the rhetoric of other reactionary, conspiracy-minded movements in American history, drawing upon historian Richard Hofstader’s famous essay The Paranoid Style of American Politics.

But then I started getting a little paranoid myself. While many GamerGaters see their, er, “struggle” in similarly apocalyptic, some of the language in Quatermain’s post seemed weirdly old-fashioned, almost as if he were cribbing from some old John Birch pamphlet on the “communist menace” from half a century ago.

That’s because he was. I pasted a few sentences from Quatermain’s essay into Google and discovered that they did in fact come straight from an old John Birch newspaper ad from the 1960s.

In fact, the whole essay is essentially a verbatim copy of a giant chunk of that John Birch society newspaper ad, with the words “John Birch society” replaced by “GamerGate” and “Communist” replaced by “SJW,” and a few other references changed here and there.

That bit from Quatermain’s essay I quoted above describing how SJW’s allegedly “seek always and everywhere to bring about more interference, less individual responsibility and an amoral way of doing things?”

Well, here’s the original paragraph as published by the John Birch Society in a newspaper called the Reading Eagle in January of 1966.

johnbirch1

You can see the entire John Birch ad here.

Roosh, you’ve been trolled, and trolled hard. And none of those commenting on his site suspected a thing.

To the troll behind this, kudos on some masterful work.

Slow clap.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I thought he was cosplaying as a straight edge kid from the 90s (for some unexplained reason).

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

… Hmm. A new name for the moronosphere, perhaps: Reaxxionaries.

Falconer

@WWTH: My dad quit ciggies years ago, around 2000. He doesn’t mention if he gets cravings. I’m so proud of him.

proxieme
proxieme

Falconer – Maybe his brows are going grey…

…Or maybe he’s trying to impersonate a Grey.

Dramatically browed people of earth!
Embrace your attack eyebrows!
They’re fierce.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It’s pronounced “Reacksckion”, with a Popeye accent.

I wonder if there’s any connection between the two XX’s and the two-dot ellipse. Do letters huddle together in pairs on creepy PUA sites for mutual protection? Are they there to taunt incels?

Puddleglum

Okay, now I need to go back and rewatch the last season of Matt Smith’s Doctor just so I can judge his eyebrows for myself. Thanks a lot, Falconer.

Lol.

(another poster who has that one stray eyebrow hair that grows too long.)

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Remember when shaved eyebrows were the hip thing for a while? Fucking awful. I saw someone who’s normally stunning with it done and even he looked terrible. Apparently the answer to “who looks good with their eyebrows shaved off?” is “nobody”.

Falconer

I think the shaved-eyebrows thing passed me by.

cassandra:

I don’t get any hairs in the unibrow zone, but I do get the occasional hair trying to grow below the rest of my eyebrow in a way that looks messy, so I pluck those.

I get both!

Does anyone else have brows that are naturally pointy at the outside corner? People occasionally ask me if I pluck them that way and lol no, plucking the occasional stray below the main part of my brow is as much effort as I’m willing to put into things.

Mine are! I’m lucky, I have nicely shaped eyebrows and apart from the pencil-defying grey hair, I’ve never needed to pluck them. I don’t pluck the odd below-the-main-line hairs, that’s an OW too far.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s particularly awful when people shave off their eyebrows and draw them back on with a pencil. NO

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I can’t really say I know what my eyebrows look like… They exist, I guess. All I know is that I was reading a story about a famous Japanese Go master who had long eyebrow hairs, and they were considered a sign of wisdom and good fortune.

kittehserf

proxieme, your Mister’s eyebrows sound magnificent. Especially the violently independent of each other bit … I’m imagining them in a state of armed and highly suspicious truce, with border guards and everything.

Yeah, Matt Smith’s eyebrowlessness was one of the things that put me off watching his shows. Eyebrow ridges without hair, just eww, no.

I had a friend who used to do that – and she always had one wonky brow. :/

Falconer

So … which way does a cyclops wing his or her eyeliner?

Falconer

In All-Star Superman, Luthor apparently draws his eyebrows on, because at one point he wipes his forehead and then has to draw an eyebrow back on without a mirror:

Both!

Thinking about it, wouldn’t a Cyclops have an eye the same shape both sides?

Speaking of eyes, I saw a cool tattoo the other day – the Eye of Horus on a woman’s back, just above her shoulderblades. Looked very good.

LOL to Liner Luthor!

Falconer

Crap, that’s huge. Hope it shrinks on reload like my Diamond Cliffs pic upthread.

kittehserf

Doesn’t matter, it’s below all the sidebar stuff. 🙂

Falconer

That does sound like a good tattoo. I’ve never even considered getting one.

Mouse Farts
Mouse Farts

My eyebrows try to get all sneaky and turn into a unibrow, so I pluck ’em. And then I kind of shape them because they are super messy and it’s kind of amazing what an overall difference it makes to my face.

The Mr, though – he has this one eyebrow hair that grows in like two inches long. Just one. And it doesn’t try to blend in or anything – it grows straaaight forward and then curls vaguely downward, and sometimes I start talking to him and kind of trail off because it is distracting me. Periodically he lets me trim the stupid thing, not because I find it unattractive, but because it is super attention-grabby and I just…stare at it. It bugs me.

On another subject, I asked him today if he ever sniffs his balls (that was on another thread, I think?) and he gave me this confused look. “Of course. Don’t you?”
“Sweetie, if I have balls, I have yet to find them.”
“Oh. Well. Sometimes you gotta check to see if you need a shower, so you use the sniff test. It’s a surefire indicator.”
“You couldn’t just…shower every day?”
He didn’t even dignify that with a response.

Things I Learn.

Mouse Farts
Mouse Farts

…and wow, I am super behind on the thread. Never mind me, folks.

thebewilderness

They changed Matt Smith’s make up quite a bit between the fifth and sixth series. I have those fade to nothing kind of eyebrows too.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

“Sweetie, if I have balls, I have yet to find them.”
“You couldn’t just…shower every day?”
He didn’t even dignify that with a response.

Clearly you’re still an amateur misanderer (yay, new word?), cause that’s the point at which I’d have been all “we are never having sex again”.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

I not only have a faint unibrow in the middle, I’ve got a part in one eyebrow, as if the quarter of it closest to the center really wanted to be part of the eyebrow on the other side and so is facing in that direction instead.

This is normally hidden behind glasses, though, so it doesn’t get seen all that often.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

BTW, your random moment of horror for the day.

WTF? Who puts teeth on the soles of shoes? There are more of them too.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Oh hell, unibrows. I don’t do anything else to my eyebrows, they’d be thick and dark no matter what, but the unibrow gets plucked every time the damn thing grows back.

… I don’t think anybody would notice if I didn’t, between the anime-tastic fringe and the glasses, but eh, I only pluck it for myself.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Unrelatedly, I just spent 20 minutes looking for the remote for the air conditioner so I could turn it on. It was under the cat. Sigh.

It was under the cat.

Really should be the first place you look for anything.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

I am so OT with this that I am off all the topics, but have y’all seen this? It’s brilliant!

Shaun DarthBatman Day

Also worth mentioning, I can’t post via FB because “Your connection is not private.
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wehuntedthemammoth.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).” and it may be that we (this house) just changed our ISP a couple days ago, but I thought I’d leave that for The Dark Lord just in case.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

@ cassandra, did the MRA’s get bored of vagina dentata and now have to fear the jack-teeth-boots of feminism?

Bina
Bina

Those toothy shoes look like they’d play hell on the linoleum. Either that, or one swift kick with them might leave them looking like a mouth that somebody else had kicked.

Also, random albino brow hairs: Check. One on each brow. Oddly enough, they’re situated right next to that one double-long, double-coarse hair on each brow, too. My humble theory is that the follicle cells on that particular spot got badly distributed, resulting in brow weirdness. However it got there, though, it all gets plucked. Because aaaaargh.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

I pretty much have no eyebrows. What is there is so faint it is barely noticeable. The hair is much lighter colored than my regular hair and is so incredibly short it seems like it ever grows. XD

Falconer

Welp. I have found a whole new nightmare realm to explore, but I will have to do it at a run, because I will be running away from giant clogs with tooth soles.

Mouse Farts
Mouse Farts

I think he was teasing me. I really hope he was teasing me.

It was under the cat.

Yeah, I’ve just gotten to the point where if I’m looking for anything smaller than a cat, I look under the cats first. Sometimes even if it’s roughly the same size as a cat.

Mouse Farts
Mouse Farts

And then you will look down and they will have been ON YOUR FEET THE WHOLE TIME

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

cassandrakitty: I will be completely honest… I think those are awesome. Really seriously digging the look of those shoes. XD

thebewilderness

I have not words to express how very much I adorable those shoes.

thebewilderness

I shall copy paste what I am getting from wordpress when I click the W symbol
This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to wehuntedthemammoth.com, but we can’t confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site’s identity can’t be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn’t continue.

kittehserf

Sadly those shoes aren’t real, they’re sculptures! Because I’d love a pair of shoes with teeth.

alaisvex
alaisvex

@BreakfastMan,

I know what you mean. They’re disturbing, yet oddly fascinating. So many layers of teeth…

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site

That sounds like a distinct possibility.

Tracy
Tracy

That’s my tattoo! It wasn’t me, but I’ll accept the compliment on this woman’s behalf bc I’m nice like that. 🙂

Those shoes are HORRIFYINGOMGWHYDOTHEYEXIST

Re: security warning – WordPress.com uses a security certificate (if you have SSL enabled in your admin, David) but it’s a general one and doesn’t map to this specific domain. So connecting to WordPress.com wouldn’t show an error, but connecting to wehuntedthemammoth.com might, because your security software sees the certificate as belonging to wordpress.com. (if that makes sense – whtm is hosted on wp.com). Probably nothing to worry about, but I’d check with WP support just in case.

skiriki

Echoing what Tracy said — this is a generic security cert for the *.wordpress.com where the site is hosted, rather than specific for wehuntedthemammoth.com. Ask from WP support how to get a site-specific security certificate, which will cost some extra dollars per year (it needs to be granted on yearly basis, by those on Trusted Authorities list; a self-signed cert is also a possibility, but don’t get me started on how that behaves in browsers..).

Skye
Skye

On the eyebrow thing, I got mine threaded for years to avoid looking like Frida Kahlo. They’re shaped OK, but thick and desperately want to be one (I think they’re codependent). It’s a bit better now. Maybe they’ve finally given up?

Also, those shoes are terrifying.

kittehserf - MOD

Tracy, I don’t know whether to be sorry it wasn’t you, because that would mean you’d mysteriously been here and I hadn’t known, or glad, because I didn’t walk right past you without knowing! 😛

pallygirl
pallygirl

Strong language here, but if GG is about ethics in gaming journalism, how come they haven’t focussed on this BS by this studio in response to a critical review? https://www.popehat.com/2014/11/11/digital-homicide-studio-abuses-dmca-to-lash-out-at-reviewer-jim-sterling-gets-fair-use-wrong/

ParadoxicalIntention

@pallygirl

I saw the Jimquisition episode he did on that. It was funny as hell. It’s not even the first time he was involved in something like that, either.

There was another incident I got to watch unfold in the Steam forums with a game called Earth: Year 2066. An absolute shitstorm.

Jim recently left The Escapist magazine, but he has his own website now: http://www.thejimquisition.com/

pallygirl
pallygirl

@ParadoxicalIntention: I only came across the meltdown by accident, while skim watching Angry Joe’s worst games of 2014 YouTube upload. The responses (not response, responses) from the developer were so disproportionately awful I cannot understand how anyone could think that doing that type of BS would be seen by others as (1) measured and (2) professional.